Bike Tire Suggestions Requested From Sr. Citizen, Please

Bob

Apr 26, 2015, 2:39:25 PM4/26/15
Hello,

Have a many year old Fuji bike that I would like to fix up
a bit and give to son.

It has the normal "road tires", the thin ones, on it now.

Would like to replace with ones slightly better suited to a bit rougher
environment as well as road use.
Some sort of compromise tire, I guess.
Something safe for various conditions.

I am not very sharp with bike technology these days.

The present tires are labeled: 27 x 1-1/4
High Pressure
Fits K2 English Rim

BTW: -tires these days use inner tubes ?

-what would be approx. cost per tire ?
(I can probably do the mounting)

Thanks, appreciate the help,
Bob

---

Andrew Chaplin

Apr 28, 2015, 7:26:03 AM4/28/15
Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote in news:mhjbau$6h5$1...@dont-email.me:

> Have a many year old Fuji bike that I would like to fix up
> a bit and give to son.
>
> It has the normal "road tires", the thin ones, on it now.
>
> Would like to replace with ones slightly better suited to a bit rougher
> environment as well as road use.
> Some sort of compromise tire, I guess.
> Something safe for various conditions.
>
> I am not very sharp with bike technology these days.
>
> The present tires are labeled: 27 x 1-1/4
> High Pressure
> Fits K2 English Rim
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> BTW: -tires these days use inner tubes ?

Yes, most tires for this sort of rim require tubes.

> -what would be approx. cost per tire ?
> (I can probably do the mounting)

Google, as they say, is your friend:
<http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/tires/630.html>.

I commute on Gatorskins and find them very durable. Not so good in the
snow, though.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Joy Beeson

Apr 28, 2015, 9:49:45 PM4/28/15
On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 14:39:22 -0400, Bob <rgs...@notme.invalid> wrote:

> The present tires are labeled: 27 x 1-1/4
> High Pressure
> Fits K2 English Rim

In half a century of riding, I have found 27 x 1-1/4 a very good
all-around tire size. I've done many long-distance rides on the road
with them, and they don't mind well-packed dirt and gravel.

But if your son likes to power through obstacles instead of using
technique, he will need fatter tires on wider wheels.

If he rides on the shoulder of a divided highway, he will need
puncture-resistant tires. Ask on rec.bicycles.tech what those are;
I take alternate routes, and don't know what's available.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/

pure...@pacbell.net

Apr 30, 2015, 11:27:58 PM4/30/15
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 11:39:25 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a many year old Fuji bike that I would like to fix up
> a bit and give to son.
>
> It has the normal "road tires", the thin ones, on it now.
>
> Would like to replace with ones slightly better suited to a bit rougher
> environment as well as road use.
> Some sort of compromise tire, I guess.
> Something safe for various conditions.
>
> I am not very sharp with bike technology these days.
>
> The present tires are labeled: 27 x 1-1/4
> High Pressure
> Fits K2 English Rim
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> BTW: -tires these days use inner tubes ?
>
> -what would be approx. cost per tire ?
> (I can probably do the mounting)
>
> Thanks, appreciate the help,
> Bob
>
> ---

Although the 700C fad still does not seem to have died out, I am quite content to have standardized my "fleet" on 27".

I am quite fond of:

pure...@pacbell.net

Apr 30, 2015, 11:36:38 PM4/30/15
On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 11:39:25 AM UTC-7, Bob wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Have a many year old Fuji bike that I would like to fix up
> a bit and give to son.
>
> It has the normal "road tires", the thin ones, on it now.
>
> Would like to replace with ones slightly better suited to a bit rougher
> environment as well as road use.
> Some sort of compromise tire, I guess.
> Something safe for various conditions.
>
> I am not very sharp with bike technology these days.
>
> The present tires are labeled: 27 x 1-1/4
> High Pressure
> Fits K2 English Rim
>
> Any suggestions would be most appreciated.
>
> BTW: -tires these days use inner tubes ?
>
> -what would be approx. cost per tire ?
> (I can probably do the mounting)
>
> Thanks, appreciate the help,
> Bob
>
> ---

Ooops, try again....
I'm quite fond of the Vitoria Zafirro (sp?) which can be had for around $20 per tire. They say they'll take 100 psi on their sidewall and have been serving well on the back of my easy racer recumbent and Cannondale upright.

I like the bottom of the line Continental offerings and the Michelein World Tour if you can find it is nice.

I have not been happy with the Panaracer Pasela simply because it's so supple in the sidewalls that it feels squirrelly in the turns when carrying a fool load of groceries; also had one blow off the rim because of that when inflating it.

i also tried a Serfas Seca (I think). It seemed like it was made of urethane by the feel of it and was very fragile....the sidewall developed a bubble from a rock or the like after just a few score miles. They are now on my avoid list.

I don't know anything about the Cheng Shin tires, but they might be your only choice if you want 27 x 1-3/8 for the back.

Pureheart
Aptos, CA

Schwalbe makes a nice, but heavy, rugged tire as well.

Art Harris

May 11, 2015, 1:27:11 PM5/11/15
Bob wrote:

> Have a many year old Fuji bike that I would like to fix up
> a bit and give to son.

Beside the other things you mentioned, make sure the frame is not too big, and the seat post is adjusted properly for your son.

Art Harris