International send-off messages? "Ride well"?

Frank Krygowski

Nov 25, 2014, 12:31:01 PM11/25/14
America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
they were out there. ;-)

I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
I've got no French skills.)

We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
pleasant good-byes?

It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
language, and the English translation.

--
- Frank Krygowski

(PeteCresswell)

Nov 25, 2014, 1:22:21 PM11/25/14
Per Frank Krygowski:

>We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
>message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
>pleasant good-byes?
>
>It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
>language, and the English translation.

Day-before-yesterday, Southeastern Pennsylvania... I got "Stay Warm"...
from a total stranger outside the local hardware store.
--
Pete Cresswell

Duane

Nov 25, 2014, 2:24:27 PM11/25/14
Last September in Vermont in a down pour we got "you guys must really
love riding your bikes!" from a local at a resto where we stopped for
the facilities.

Lou Holtman

Nov 25, 2014, 2:34:01 PM11/25/14
Frank Krygowski schreef op 25-11-2014 18:30:
It would be a full time job here so we usually don't say anything. We
wishing everybody always the best we don't need to say that out loud.

Lou

James

Nov 25, 2014, 4:34:48 PM11/25/14
I don't hear warnings. Usually just a simple "See ya", or "Bye". No
different to any other leaving of company.

--
JS

John D. Slocomb

Nov 25, 2014, 9:17:35 PM11/25/14
"Will you be back for lunch?"

--
cheers,

John D.Slocomb

Andrew Chaplin

Nov 26, 2014, 7:55:13 AM11/26/14
Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:m52ec5$gh$1@dont-
email.me:
In Canada, French would be "Bonne route!" which is also used to send off
motorists; in English, "Have a good ride!" but "Stay safe!" is often heard,
too.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Mr Pounder

Nov 26, 2014, 1:01:16 PM11/26/14

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> [...]
"When are you gonna dump that child's toy and buy a car"?

Jeff Liebermann

Nov 26, 2014, 2:33:08 PM11/26/14
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
>language, and the English translation.

"May your ride be free of tigers"
"Is your cell phone battery charged?"
"If you're not back by sundown, should I report you as missing?"
"What have you forgotten this time?"
"Remember... the sag wagon is cheaper than the ambulance."
--
Jeff Liebermann je...@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Joerg

Nov 26, 2014, 2:58:49 PM11/26/14
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski
> <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
>> language, and the English translation.
>
> "May your ride be free of tigers"
> "Is your cell phone battery charged?"
> "If you're not back by sundown, should I report you as missing?"
> "What have you forgotten this time?"
> "Remember... the sag wagon is cheaper than the ambulance."

"Don't do 20mph on the Connery trail again. Remember?"

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Radey Shouman

Nov 26, 2014, 4:22:55 PM11/26/14
Andrew Chaplin <ab.ch...@yourfinger.rogers.com> writes:

> Frank Krygowski <frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in news:m52ec5$gh$1@dont-
> email.me:
>
>> America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
>> out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
>> get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
>> there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
>> they were out there. ;-)
>>
>> I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
>> something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
>> I've got no French skills.)
>>
>> We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
>> message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
>> pleasant good-byes?
>>
>> It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
>> language, and the English translation.
>
> In Canada, French would be "Bonne route!" which is also used to send off
> motorists; in English, "Have a good ride!" but "Stay safe!" is often heard,
> too.

Rarely heard: "Don't kill anybody!".

Jeff Liebermann

Nov 27, 2014, 12:43:33 PM11/27/14
On Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:58:45 -0800, Joerg <ne...@analogconsultants.com>
wrote:

>"Don't do 20mph on the Connery trail again. Remember?"
>:-)

"Please remember that you have only one life to give for your hobby."

"Fast is Fun".

cycl...@gmail.com

Dec 2, 2014, 2:18:56 PM12/2/14
My favorite was someone saying that 74% of riders approved of waving to each other.

Then another opined that meant that 14% approved of waving while the remaining 60% approved of being waved at.

davethedave

Dec 7, 2014, 7:37:16 PM12/7/14
On Tue, 25 Nov 2014 12:30:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski wrote:

> America has some serious fears about bicycling. And it's been pointed
> out that in America, when someone sets out on a bicycle, it's common to
> get warnings, as in "Be safe!" or "Please be careful!" Sometimes,
> there's the extra-specific "Watch out for cars!" as if we didn't notice
> they were out there. ;-)

Shit! There are cars in America. Who would have thought such a thing. You
made them. Your country grew up with them and sold them all over the
world.

> I've read that in France, the customary send off is much more pleasant -
> something more like "Ride well!" (Perhaps it's stated as "Bon Voyage"?
> I've got no French skills.)
>
> We've got readers here from many countries. What sort of send-off
> message do you get as you pedal away? Do you hear warnings, or more
> pleasant good-byes?

Errr. No warnings. No pleasant goodbyes. Maybe a "See you at the bar
tomorrow night." Despite driving standards being a bit lax around here
(Turkey) there is no panic about riding a bike because we don't live in a
litigious nanny state safety culture. Also, even looking at the price of
second hand cars may make your eyes bleed.

> It might be interesting to see how things are said in your native
> language, and the English translation.

I'll give you English and a Turkish translation. ;)

Yarın barda görüşelim mi? - Shall we meet at the bar tomorrow?
Tamam. Dokuz buçukta orada olacağım. - OK. I'll be there at 9.30.

Hope that's helpful ;)

Cycling used to be seen as something done by the poor or strange but has
in only a very few years seen a massive increase in uptake. Drinking
however remains high.

Which is nice. :)
--
davethedave

cycl...@gmail.com

Dec 8, 2014, 5:20:46 PM12/8/14
Riding has begun to be seen generally all over the world as a sport and not just a means of transportation little better than walking.

Joy Beeson

Jun 14, 2015, 8:15:16 PM6/14/15
<frkr...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> What sort of send-off
> message do you get as you pedal away?

On yesterday's ride, someone I'd been chatting with said "Be careful
out there" when I started to leave the store. I reassured her by
turning to show the bottle in my pocket -- she was talking about the
heat.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/