Dog Lead "Outrigger?"

Tammy E. Childers

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Two of us gals are looking for some means to let our small dogs jog
along while we ride. Either I'm making it up or I've seen something to
attach to the bicycle that is semi-rigid. I envision an outrigger-type
apparatus so the dog, when clipped in/on, will not be able to interfere
with the pedalling, get caught up in the wheels or run out in front of
the bicycle.

Please tell us we're not crazy. Better yet, tell us where we might
call/go to see about getting a couple of such things!

Thanks in advance.

Tammy Childers

P.S. I finally found a note on this group about something called a
Springer? There was an url "www.springerusa.com" listed but the address
takes me nowhere. Any ideas? I've even tried using a couple of search
engines, now that I had more information...

Ron Hardin

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

``The Springer'' does that; it's in most dog catalogs, about $50.

Most important, there's a breakaway link that safeguards against
the dog going on one side of a post and you the other; probably
you can get replacement breakaways and perhaps use them in another
contrivance of your chosing.

I just taught my Dobie to heel with absolute reliability and use
no lead or contrivance.
--
Ron Hardin
r...@research.att.com

John B. Rees

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98
to Tammy E. Childers

To each his own, but I'd like to suggest you not do this. So many
things could happen that would result in the dog/you/bike/all getting
damaged that it just doesn't seem to be worth it. If the dog needs to
come along (and is small as you suggest), I'd go for some scheme where
the dog rides on the bike. Event that would endanger the dog, but it
sounds safer than riding around with a cable dangling off your bike
(ready to get snared on any number of things).

From: John B. Rees
jr...@best.com
http://www.best.com/~jrees/

Grason

Mar 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/26/98

Tammy E. Childers <tchi...@ix.netcom.com> wrote in article
<351A91...@ix.netcom.com>...

> Two of us gals are looking for some means to let our small dogs jog
> along while we ride.

Be careful when running a dog from a bike. They may be able to keep up with
a human jogger for several miles, but on a bike you can pedal far faster
and farther than a dog can run. You could wind up seriously injuring your
dog. Besides, several miles of fast running on pavement can rip up a dog's
pads.

RMitc59274

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

You are not crazy, there is just such a device. Please talk to your vet before
getting this thing. Our vet, as well as 2 vets in our bike club told us not to
use it. There is too much chance of injury to both dog and rider. Even a small
dog pulling against you when scared could cause you to go down. We now use a
Burley buggy for our 60 pound Dalmatian. She has toured Me. NH. Vt. NY. Ga. Fl.
the C&O Tow Path and the Greenbrier River Trail with us. She Is now trained to
trot behind the buggy up the realy big hills then jump back in on command at
the top.
Talk to your vet, then decide what to do.

Ron Hardin

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

It's unlikely the dog would pull you over. Extended trotting
isn't necessarily good for the dog, though.

ohj...@msn.com

Mar 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/27/98

In article <351A91...@ix.netcom.com>,

"Tammy E. Childers" <tchi...@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> Two of us gals are looking for some means to let our small dogs jog
> along while we ride. Either I'm making it up or I've seen something to
> attach to the bicycle that is semi-rigid. I envision an outrigger-type
> apparatus so the dog, when clipped in/on, will not be able to interfere
> with the pedalling, get caught up in the wheels or run out in front of
> the bicycle.
>
> Please tell us we're not crazy. Better yet, tell us where we might
> call/go to see about getting a couple of such things!
>
> Thanks in advance.

There was also something called the Bike Dog Leash (BDL) I found on a website
several months ago. You can do a Lycos search with this but the site no
longer exists if you click on to it.
Basically what it was was a rigid bolt-like apparatus that extended the rear
axle which was then attached to a spring which then attached to the dog leash
or collar. I remember it had a patent and sold for about $50.
I was disappointed because I wanted to buy one but now can't find it.
Let me know if you have any luck finding something else.
Thanks,
Chuck
ohj...@msn.com
gia...@nationwide.com

> Tammy Childers
>
> P.S. I finally found a note on this group about something called a
> Springer? There was an url "www.springerusa.com" listed but the address
> takes me nowhere. Any ideas? I've even tried using a couple of search
> engines, now that I had more information...

Cy Galley

Mar 29, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/29/98

I used to run my 12 pound rat terrier by bike. She enjoyed it and so did I
until she and the leash dumped me onto the pavement over the handle bars. I
found the pain was more than I wanted to chance again so she gets her fill
my chasing squirrels, rabbits, and birds in the back yard.

John Arambarri

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98

Tammy -

Yes, the Springer does exist. We own two of these devices and they work
great! It is a spring loaded outrigger that attaches to your seat post.
Your dog runs about 18 inches out from your bike right at your side. We have
used them for about a year now. My wife is pretty small and has no problem
riding with a big malamute.

Springer USA Inc
1 Springer Drive
Ridgely, MD 21685
1-800-835-DOGS

As with any dog excercise, make sure you give the dog plenty of water, don't
run them right after a meal, and clean up their poop! Start slow and stop
before they've had enough fun. They will remember it as fun and not work
that way....

John Arambarri
Boise, Idaho

In article <351A91...@ix.netcom.com>, tchi...@ix.netcom.com says...

>Two of us gals are looking for some means to let our small dogs jog
>along while we ride. Either I'm making it up or I've seen something to
>attach to the bicycle that is semi-rigid. I envision an outrigger-type
>apparatus so the dog, when clipped in/on, will not be able to interfere
>with the pedalling, get caught up in the wheels or run out in front of
>the bicycle.
>
>Please tell us we're not crazy. Better yet, tell us where we might
>call/go to see about getting a couple of such things!
>
>Thanks in advance.

John Arambarri

Mar 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/30/98
Found more info -

WRT the Springer Dog lead for bicyles...

Their web page http://www.springerusa.com/ was up (the second time I tried to
hit it). The usps address on the web page is

Eaton Enterprises
P.O. Box 26083
Salt Lake City, UT 84126-0083

ph 1-801-532-7941
$50 per unit...

John Arambarri
Boise, Idaho

cbgil...@gmail.com

Mar 28, 2017, 11:45:50 AM3/28/17

John B.

Mar 28, 2017, 9:13:21 PM3/28/17
Try "http://springerusa.com/", without the quotes of course. Seems to
work. Or http://tinyurl.com/k7cy38s if you really want to buy one.
$109.95 at Amazon.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Duane

Mar 29, 2017, 8:37:42 AM3/29/17
In 1998 dollars?

John B.

Mar 29, 2017, 7:29:25 PM3/29/17
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 08:37:40 -0400, Duane <duane....@group-upc.com>
wrote:
No, actually it is in 2015/16 dollars.

After all if the Great God Google thinks it still topical who are we
mere mortals to say otherwise.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Duane

Mar 29, 2017, 7:49:45 PM3/29/17
duane

John B.

Mar 30, 2017, 2:36:31 AM3/30/17
On Wed, 29 Mar 2017 23:46:45 -0000 (UTC), Duane <sp...@flarn.com>
wrote:
Ah, think of the poor dear. Forced to wait 19 years for an answer :-(
--
Cheers,

John B.

Duane

Mar 30, 2017, 6:17:05 AM3/30/17
Or the poor dog:-).

--
duane

Joerg

Apr 1, 2017, 3:48:21 PM4/1/17
Confucius say "It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do
not stop". I guess that's why there are bail-out sprockets ...

:-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/