Google групе више не подржавају нове Usenet постове ни праћења. Претходни садржај остаје видљив.

FIREFLIES ... why not in the west?

404 прегледа
Пређи на прву непрочитану поруку

John S. Watson - FSC

непрочитано,
26. 7. 1994. 16:45:1526.7.94.

One of my co-workers, who was originally from the eastern US,
was wondering today: "Since fireflies can survive on the east coast,
why are there none out here (on the west)?"

Being a native Californian, I've always felt like I've had a deprived
childhood because of it.

So as she would say, any i-deers?

John
John S. Watson
NASA Ames Research Center MS/243-9, Moffett Field, CA 94035
#include <stddsclm.h>

Andrew J. L. Cary

непрочитано,
26. 7. 1994. 11:07:3226.7.94.

>One of my co-workers, who was originally from the eastern US,
>was wondering today: "Since fireflies can survive on the east coast,
>why are there none out here (on the west)?"

>Being a native Californian, I've always felt like I've had a deprived
>childhood because of it.

>So as she would say, any i-deers?

What makes you think there aren't? This being California they are so laid-back
they flash down in the infared spectrum.

Another Native Californian who has seen lots of fireflies in the east.

Andrew J L Cary, Senior Curmudgeon : In general, these are my opinions &
CBDM, Development Research : do not reflect those of my employers
Syntex (USA) Inc, Palo Alto, CA 94301: they ARE welcome to use them

Laura Ruff

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 12:01:5028.7.94.
In article <andrew.cary....@syntex.com>, andre...@syntex.com

(Andrew J. L. Cary) wrote:

> >One of my co-workers, who was originally from the eastern US,
> >was wondering today: "Since fireflies can survive on the east coast,
> >why are there none out here (on the west)?"

But there are fireflies "(on the west)". I remember seeing fireflies in
Oregon when I was a kid visiting my grandparents. From what I remember,
there is more to the west coast than California :->. Maybe there are some
in Northern California too!

jla...@hpsccs.oc.com

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 12:34:5528.7.94.
ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu (Laura Ruff) writes:

May have something to do with the aridity of the West. I've never seen them
anywhere between the 100th meridian and the coastal ranges of the Pacific
coast.

Lance

Laura Ruff

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 18:07:3328.7.94.
In article <318nbe$6...@news.u.washington.edu>, kent...@u.washington.edu
(Kent Lind) wrote:

> Laura Ruff <ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu> wrote:
> >
> >But there are fireflies "(on the west)". I remember seeing fireflies in
> >Oregon when I was a kid visiting my grandparents. From what I remember,
> >there is more to the west coast than California :->. Maybe there are some
> >in Northern California too!
>

> Really? I grew up in Oregon (Willamette Valley) and didn't see my first
> firefly until I was a teenager visiting Pennsylvania. I've lived in
> Seattle now for 8 years and have never seen a firefly here either. My
> only theory is that fireflys must require more humidity than is generally
> found in the West Coast. We rarely ever get those hot humid summer days
> out here, and it usually cools off much faster at night on the West
> coast than in Eastern states.
>
> Kent

My grandparents lived in Eugene. I distinctly remember seeing them. When
I lived in Cleveland for 4 years, and saw them there, it brought back
childhood memories of visits in Eugene. When we were kids, we would catch
them in jars at the grandparents. And as I know we don't have them here in
Colorado, it couldn't have been at my grandparents here.

No offense intended, Kent. Maybe the Willamette isn't the right climate
for it.

Scott Linn

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 19:52:3828.7.94.
Laura Ruff (ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu) wrote:
: >
: > Really? I grew up in Oregon (Willamette Valley) and didn't see my first
: > firefly until I was a teenager visiting Pennsylvania.

: My grandparents lived in Eugene. I distinctly remember seeing them. When

: I lived in Cleveland for 4 years, and saw them there, it brought back
: childhood memories of visits in Eugene. When we were kids, we would catch
: them in jars at the grandparents. And as I know we don't have them here in
: Colorado, it couldn't have been at my grandparents here.

: No offense intended, Kent. Maybe the Willamette isn't the right climate
: for it.

Eugene is IN the Willamette valley. I have lived in Oregon for 30 years
and haven't seen a single firefly (yes, I know what they look like: I went
to college in Indiana). I currently live 45 miles from Eugene.

--

Scott Linn
sc...@cv.hp.com

John S. Watson - FSC

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 01:42:5129.7.94.

Well, according to my Audubon Field Guide,
fireflies only exist east of the Rockies.

However I've heard a few anecdotal stories of fireflies
seen in the West. Once someone told me they saw them in Yosemite.
However, in my 35 years of living in California, Oregon and Washington,
I've never seen a one here.

My lovely boy scout leader
once made us go on a "glow worm" hunt one night ...
but it turned out the older kids were just trying to get
us lost in the woods. I think it would have been great
if we actually returned with a jar full. :-)

In 1988 I visited the Great Smokies, and I was the tallest kid
running around the camp gathering them.

Anyway, the original question remains unanswered,
or at least why aren't they plentiful enough that
most of us growing up on the west haven't seen them?

From what I gather from the Audubon Guide, the larve
require humid wet wood to live in. This may be what is
lacking out here. Things must be either to cold or not wet enough,
for the most part.

Kent Lind

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 12:45:3428.7.94.
Laura Ruff <ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu> wrote:

>But there are fireflies "(on the west)". I remember seeing fireflies in
>Oregon when I was a kid visiting my grandparents. From what I remember,
>there is more to the west coast than California :->. Maybe there are some
>in Northern California too!

Really? I grew up in Oregon (Willamette Valley) and didn't see my first

John S. Watson - FSC

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 12:38:1729.7.94.
In article <CtpKs...@boi.hp.com> k...@boi.hp.com (Keith Emmen) writes:
>charles samuel humbach (chum...@unm.edu) wrote:
>
>: Back in New York they were so plentiful, as kids we would catch a bunch
>: of them and smash them up to make glow in the dark warpaint. I don't smear
>: dead insect mush on my face anymore though.
>
>It's sad that we let the truly fun things go as we get older.

Hey, speak for yourself! :-)

I too, sometime wonder what this happens.
I almost said it was part of human culture, but it seems like
all human cultures want you to get "serious" as you get old,
so it must be more fundamental.
All animals seem to get more serious as they get older.

"Play" is supposed to be for learning survival skills (so they say),
so I guess by the time you've grown up, you're supposed
to have learned everyting needed for survival.

That's probably why I keep on playing ... I don't want to stop at
simple "survival". That seems like just existing.
That why I don't like all these survivalist schools.
I want to thrive. Forget survivalists, I'm a thrivalist.
When I go out into the woods, I don't want to just find enough calories
to keep going, I want to be able to make a gourmet meal.

Like Doug Peacock talks about in an article about muchrooms
in an Outside article last year:

With several two-pound rainbow trout I caught
on grasshopper flies in a narrow but deep
meadow creek, I stuff the fish with
a mix of mint and onion that grew along the bank
and some diced buttons of A. campestris
that grew in fairy rings near the outer limits
of the meadow. I baked them over lodgepole coals
in aluminum foil.

Well, anyway, I'm sort of planing a trip to Isle Royale NP,
in about a month. I hope I find some fireflies there.

> I quit playing in the mud barefooted too.

Well, enough rambling, back to work :-(
But maybe I'll find me some mud this weekend. :-)

Eugene N. Miya

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 14:10:1029.7.94.
In article <31a4sr$a...@news.arc.nasa.gov> wat...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

(John S. Watson - FSC) writes:
>My lovely boy scout leader
>once made us go on a "glow worm" hunt one night ...
>but it turned out the older kids were just trying to get
>us lost in the woods. I think it would have been great
>if we actually returned with a jar full. :-)

Lovely? Projection?

The glow worms in NZ are rather nice.
They are protected. Fire flies are far brighter.
My memories of them were in Port Deposit, MD while back east on an extended
NASA jaunt for JPL. Very nice at dusk.
You did the right thing consulting Audubon. Donie is much slower as
an entomologist.

--eugene miya, NASA Ames Research Center, eug...@orville.nas.nasa.gov
Resident Cynic, Rock of Ages Home for Retired Hackers
{uunet,mailrus,other gateways}!ames!eugene
My 3rd favorite use of a flame thrower is "Fahrenheit 451."
A Ref: Uncommon Sense, Alan Cromer, Oxford Univ. Press, 1993.

Terry Morse

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 04:37:5629.7.94.
In article <31a4sr$a...@news.arc.nasa.gov> wat...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson - FSC) writes:

[deletions]

>Anyway, the original question remains unanswered,
>or at least why aren't they plentiful enough that
>most of us growing up on the west haven't seen them?

[deletions]

>John S. Watson

Having grown up in the northeast, where warm summer evenings are enlivened
by the seductive winking of the male dragonflies, I too wondered why I don't
see them in the West. I put this question to Gary Parsons of the Oregon State
University Entomology Dept. a couple years ago. Here is what he replied:

". . . As a matter of fact, we do have fireflies out here, they just are not
the kind which as adults flash to attract mates. Out of approximately 130
species found in the U.S., only 20 or so are known from the Northwest. None
of these are the type which flash, however some do have larvae or larviform
females which have a "glowing" light, and are called glowworms. This glowing
light doesn't serve to attract other members of the same species, but is
believed to be a warning to predators that these insects taste bad. The
adults of most western species are primarily diurnal, when a light wouldn't do
them much good. Apparently, they attract mates using pheromones.

I have one reference which indicates that one eastern species, _Photuris
pennsylvanicus_, occurs as far west as SE British Columbia. I have also seen
and collected a tiny flashing species in SE Arizona. At least one recorded
attempt has been made to introduce _Photuris pennsylvanicus_ ("a flasher")
into the Northwest. 200 adults were released in Seattle in July 1939, but it
apparently failed to establish. It is possible that some flashing species
could survive here, but evolution and zoogeography just never brought them
this far west.

Being a westerner and being deprived of the experience of having seen
midwest or eastern firefly displays, I can only guess as to other reasons why
they might not occur here. Most western species and eastern species seem to
prefer moist, deciduous woodland types of habitats, where the larvae feed on
slugs and snails. I doubt that cold, winter conditions would be limiting, but
summer weather might be quite different. From what I have been told,
midwestern summer nights are hot and humid, and this may be some kind of
requirement for adult flight and flashing. Our summer nights are usually cool
and not very humid, resulting in day-flying, non-flashing species. . . . "

The reference for the Seattle firefly release is _The Beetles of the Pacific
Northwest_, part III, by Melville H. Hatch (Seattle: Univ. of Washington Pr.,
19961), p. 37.

--Terry
Terry Morse
mor...@ccmail.orst.edu
I'm mad as heck and I'm thinking seriously of not taking it any more.

charles samuel humbach

непрочитано,
28. 7. 1994. 12:49:1628.7.94.
In article <ruff_l-28...@mwmt18.hsc.colorado.edu>,

only seen them in arroyo Hondo near as far as New Mexico goes.
Back in New York they were so plentiful, as kids we would catch a bunch

of them and smash them up to make glow in the dark warpaint. I don't smear
dead insect mush on my face anymore though.

charles humbach

William Johnson

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 17:55:2429.7.94.
In article <31a4sr$a...@news.arc.nasa.gov> wat...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (John S. Watson - FSC) writes:

>My lovely boy scout leader
>once made us go on a "glow worm" hunt one night ...
>but it turned out the older kids were just trying to get
>us lost in the woods. I think it would have been great
>if we actually returned with a jar full. :-)

As Terry Morse pointed out, glowworms do exist in the west. I had my first
encounter with them at Bandelier National Monument on a "Nightwalk."
(These are fundraisers for the park -- enjoyable, folklore-laden tours of the
ruins, led by ranger Chris Judson. If any r.b readers have done a Nightwalk
at Bandelier, please e-mail me -- I may have an interesting story for you.)
They don't give quite the dancing-lights impression that fireflies do, but are
still fun to see, and evoke all those childhood memories of catching
lightning bugs.

Speaking of things that glow in the dark, how many readers have encountered
luminescent mushrooms in the wilds?

--
Bill Johnson | "The only way to deal with bureaucrats
Los Alamos National Laboratory | is with stealth and sudden violence."

Keith Emmen

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 11:38:3829.7.94.
charles samuel humbach (chum...@unm.edu) wrote:

: Back in New York they were so plentiful, as kids we would catch a bunch

: of them and smash them up to make glow in the dark warpaint. I don't smear
: dead insect mush on my face anymore though.

: charles humbach

It's sad that we let the truly fun things go as we get older. I quit

playing in the mud barefooted too.

Keith

Terry Morse

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 09:19:1529.7.94.
In article <morset.23...@ccmail.orst.edu> mor...@ccmail.orst.edu (Terry Morse) writes:

> Having grown up in the northeast, where warm summer evenings are enlivened
>by the seductive winking of the male dragonflies, I too wondered why I don't

^^^^^^^^^^

>see them in the West. I put this question to Gary Parsons of the Oregon
State >University Entomology Dept. a couple years ago. Here is what he
replied:

That should read "lightning bugs" or "fireflies." I've been doing some
dragonfly observation recently and have them on the brain. Their pretty
interesting and attractive critters as well.

--Terry
Terry Morse
mor...@ccmail.orst.edu

Marshall Landman

непрочитано,
29. 7. 1994. 01:04:0129.7.94.
Scott Linn (sc...@cv.hp.com) wrote:

: Laura Ruff (ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu) wrote:
: : >
: : > Really? I grew up in Oregon (Willamette Valley) and didn't see my first
: : > firefly until I was a teenager visiting Pennsylvania.

: : My grandparents lived in Eugene. I distinctly remember seeing them. When
: : I lived in Cleveland for 4 years, and saw them there, it brought back
: : childhood memories of visits in Eugene. When we were kids, we would catch
: : them in jars at the grandparents. And as I know we don't have them here in
: : Colorado, it couldn't have been at my grandparents here.

I've lived in Eugene for over 20 years and haven't seen any yet, and I
too have wondered why they aren't on the west coast. So if someone knows
where to look for them in Lane County I would like to know.

Marshall Landman

Derek R. Larson

непрочитано,
1. 8. 1994. 16:19:451.8.94.
As an Oregonian exiled to Indiana for educational reasons, I have to say
that fireflies are THE ONLY THING GOING FOR THE MIDWEST!!! There! I
said it. In fact, they are beautiful, but I'd rather have mountains,
clean water, the ocean, and some public land without cowds of yahoos on
it.

Have to take a jar of fireflies back with me in a few years...
Derek R. Larson * "We're lacking in humor, a little smug,
drla...@Indiana.edu * considering ourselves to be among the
* favored few." -Terrence O'Donnell on Oregonians

Kathy Bilton

непрочитано,
1. 8. 1994. 19:22:041.8.94.

In a previous article, mlan...@efn.org (Marshall Landman) says:

>I've lived in Eugene for over 20 years and haven't seen any yet, and I
>too have wondered why they aren't on the west coast. So if someone knows
>where to look for them in Lane County I would like to know.

Why? Well it's not for lack of trying on my part. When I was ten years
old, a friend was visiting me from California. I was quite astonished
that she was so astonished by the fireflies she saw in the Washington, DC
area that I could not imagine being without. So, when I went back to
California with her at the end of her stay, I decided to try to remedy this
sad situation and took a jar of fireflies with me on the plane. Never did
see the poor things light up upon their release in Redwood City - but they
did fly away.
--
_/_/_/_/ Kathy Bilton an...@freenet.carleton.ca \_\_\_\_
kbi...@cap.gwu.edu PO Box 886, Shepherdstown, WV 25443, USA

Scott Linn

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 13:04:182.8.94.
Marshall Landman (mlan...@efn.org) wrote:

: Scott Linn (sc...@cv.hp.com) wrote:
: : Laura Ruff (ruf...@defiance.hsc.colorado.edu) wrote:
: : : >
: : : > Really? I grew up in Oregon (Willamette Valley) and didn't see my first
: : : > firefly until I was a teenager visiting Pennsylvania.

: : : My grandparents lived in Eugene. I distinctly remember seeing them. When
: : : I lived in Cleveland for 4 years, and saw them there, it brought back
: : : childhood memories of visits in Eugene. When we were kids, we would catch
: : : them in jars at the grandparents. And as I know we don't have them here in
: : : Colorado, it couldn't have been at my grandparents here.

Get your attributions right; I didn't write anything in the above.

--

Scott Linn
sc...@cv.hp.com

Donald Morley (Berkshire S)

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 13:31:202.8.94.

In a previous article, sc...@cv.hp.com (Scott Linn) says:

>p....@efn.org>
>Date: Tue, 2 Aug 1994 17:04:18 GMT

But that's obvious just by looking at the quotes! You posted "Laura ...
wrote", and that's it. Maybe thát was your fifteens second of fame! :-)

Don

BTW, I sure am glad that there are fireflies in the east!!
--

Donald Morley (Berkshire S)

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 18:21:472.8.94.

In a previous article, mor...@ccmail.orst.edu (Terry Morse) says:

>In article <1994Aug2.1...@k12.ucs.umass.edu> dmo...@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Donald Morley (Berkshire S)) writes:
>
>>BTW, I sure am glad that there are fireflies in the east!!
>>--
>
> Sure, but you've got such wimpy mountains. And the New York Metropolitan
>Area. And woodchucks, the "90 pound weaklings" of the marmot world. :-)

Oh boy! Another flame war! Following on the heels of "good dogs vs bad
dogs", "Horseshit - is it bad or is it good", we bring you East vs West! Let
the flame war start!! :-)

I love the West, especially the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin areas.
But, as I said before "I sure am glad that there are fireflies in the
east!!" And it seems to me that I've been in cities a lot worse than New
York in California, or doesn't LA count. LA certainly gives the rest of the
Californians an easy scapegoat for why Sequoia - Kings Canyon and Yosemite
Valley are some of the most littered places that I have ever seen. ;-)

Flame away!!

Don
--

Terry Morse

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 10:09:132.8.94.
In article <1994Aug2.1...@k12.ucs.umass.edu> dmo...@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Donald Morley (Berkshire S)) writes:

[Misattributions deleted]

>But that's obvious just by looking at the quotes! You posted "Laura ...
>wrote", and that's it. Maybe thát was your fifteens second of fame! :-)

>Don

>BTW, I sure am glad that there are fireflies in the east!!
>--

Sure, but you've got such wimpy mountains. And the New York Metropolitan

Area. And woodchucks, the "90 pound weaklings" of the marmot world. :-)

--Terry
Terry Morse
mor...@ccmail.orst.edu
"Never underestimate the power of a shnook."
--Boris Badenov

Eugene N. Miya

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 21:30:492.8.94.
In article <31bb9p$g...@news.arc.nasa.gov> wat...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov

(John S. Watson - FSC) writes:
>In article <CtpKs...@boi.hp.com> k...@boi.hp.com (Keith Emmen) writes:
>>It's sad that we let the truly fun things go as we get older.
>
>Hey, speak for yourself! :-)
>
>I too, sometime wonder what this happens.

>All animals seem to get more serious as they get older.

I have this video tape of Richard Feynman (his first BBC interview) entitled:
The Pleasure of Finding Things Out

The problem is that while you are growing up, you stand out by acting mature
for your age. But it's a ruse and dumb. So when you get older, the question
is whether you should appear wiser or more serious or whether you get to
play to make up the the lack of your childhood. The guys at Normandy
said, Hey they get to make up for their loss of youth by jumping out of
planes 50 years after the fact. These guys are great. They came back to
get their youth.

I think Feynman and Edward Abbey would have gotten along fine.

>"Play" is supposed to be for learning survival skills (so they say),
>so I guess by the time you've grown up, you're supposed
>to have learned everyting needed for survival.

An interesting analogy was made for me about the survival and differences
between wolves and dogs. Wolves are quiet and don't frequently make noise
unlike dogs which retain more puppy in them.

>That's probably why I keep on playing ... I don't want to stop at
>simple "survival". That seems like just existing.
>That why I don't like all these survivalist schools.
>I want to thrive. Forget survivalists, I'm a thrivalist.
>When I go out into the woods, I don't want to just find enough calories
>to keep going, I want to be able to make a gourmet meal.

Byrd is good here:

%A Richard E. Byrd
%T Alone
%I Tarcher
%C Los Angeles
%D 1938
%X So I say in conclusion:
A man doesn't begin to attain wisdom until he recognizes that he is no longer
indispensable.

>> I quit playing in the mud barefooted too.
>
>Well, enough rambling, back to work :-(
>But maybe I'll find me some mud this weekend. :-)

You have the basic idea.

Eugene N. Miya

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 21:34:252.8.94.
In article <Ctvq8...@freenet.carleton.ca> an...@FreeNet.Carleton.CA

(Kathy Bilton) writes:
>Never did see the poor things light up upon their release in Redwood City -
>but they did fly away.

Transporting non domestic insects or other animals and even plants into other
areas is not generally and idea to be encouraged. Especially not bees
or ants to this state at this time. New Zealand, Australia, and quite a few
other countries have similar problems.

Eugene N. Miya

непрочитано,
2. 8. 1994. 21:37:102.8.94.
In article <morset.24...@ccmail.orst.edu> mor...@ccmail.orst.edu

(Terry Morse) writes:
> Sure, but you've got such wimpy mountains.

Flame bait Terry, flame bait. 8^) They are going to give you a ticket to
the top of Mt. Washington, and I don't mean Oregon, during a wind storm.
Let you ride one of their avalanches.

>And woodchucks, the "90 pound weaklings" of the marmot world. :-)

>"Never underestimate the power of a shnook."
> --Boris Badenov

"It's time." --Doris.

Terry Morse

непрочитано,
3. 8. 1994. 04:37:043.8.94.
In article <1994Aug2.2...@k12.ucs.umass.edu> dmo...@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Donald Morley (Berkshire S)) writes:

[deletions]

>Flame away!!

>Don
>--

a) LA doesn't count. We're working out a plan where everyone in the rest
of the nation will jump off a chair at exactly the same time, and LA will sink
into the ocean :-). Besides, I grew up in NYC, so NYC and the megalopolis is
what I know. I've only heard about LA. Being a hardcore skeptic, I won't
believe in it until I see it, and perhaps not even then. :-)

b) I'm glad there are fireflies in the East, too. Gives me something to
look forward to when I go back to visit family. Fireflies and the American
Museum of Natural History. That's about it, though. NY would be an okay city
if there weren't all those people in it. (I confess. I'm a misanthrope, as
well).

--Terry

[Oh, yes. I checked some field guides last night and, though the
information in them is not entirely consistent, it's possible that woodchucks
are (on average) as large or larger than Yellow-bellied Marmots. Have to find
some more authoritative sources. YBM's are prettier, though.]

Terry Morse
mor...@ccmail.orst.edu

Think diuturnally, act contemporaneously.

Keith Emmen

непрочитано,
3. 8. 1994. 14:30:193.8.94.
John S. Watson - FSC (wat...@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov) wrote:

: One of my co-workers, who was originally from the eastern US,
: was wondering today: "Since fireflies can survive on the east coast,
: why are there none out here (on the west)?"

Well John, there used to be fireflies all over the west many years
ago. But the western fireflies were much different than the eastern
critters. The distinguishing features that caused the disappearance
of the western firefly were it's size and it's ability to shine a very
bright light. When the cowboys would try to sleep at night on the
prarie, the fireflies would be flashing those incredibly bright lights
and the poor cowboys just couldn't sleep. So, like the callous rednecks
they were, they started shooting the fireflies. Their (the fireflies)
large size made them easy targets, and it wasn't long before they were
wiped out by the cowboys.

Terry Morse

непрочитано,
3. 8. 1994. 09:43:373.8.94.

>>In a previous article, mor...@ccmail.orst.edu (Terry Morse) says:

>>> Sure, but you've got such wimpy mountains. And the New York Metropolitan
>>>Area. And woodchucks, the "90 pound weaklings" of the marmot world. :-)
>>>

>Right on. The east sucks. Everybody should move west to the land
>of milk and honey. Yeah thats it. Head west to where the land is
>always fertile and the well never goes dry.

>And by all means, stay out of Vermont. Bunch of flamin' commies, those
>Vermonters. Got their Ben and Jerry's and Johnson Woolies but don't
>buy 'em at Wall-Mart! Gotta be the worst state in union. Head west
>young man, head west.

>Dave "Proud-To-Be-A-Woodchuck" Mann

Actually, now that you mention it, the East has an *awful* lot to recommend
it: all that culture, all those *interesting* people, not to mention the
fireflies (out West, I hear, they *shoot* fireflies!).

No, son, in the words of that great Westerner, Horace (Hoary Marmot)
Greeley, "Stay East, young man, stay East."

--Terry
Terry Morse
mor...@ccmail.orst.edu

Thus I live in the world rather as a spectator of mankind than as one of the
species.--Joseph Addison, 1672-1719.

David E. Mann

непрочитано,
3. 8. 1994. 15:04:423.8.94.

>In a previous article, mor...@ccmail.orst.edu (Terry Morse) says:
>>
>>In article <1994Aug2.1...@k12.ucs.umass.edu> dmo...@k12.ucs.umass.edu (Donald Morley (Berkshire S)) writes:
>>

>> Sure, but you've got such wimpy mountains. And the New York Metropolitan
>>Area. And woodchucks, the "90 pound weaklings" of the marmot world. :-)

Right on. The east sucks. Everybody should move west to the land

of milk and honey. Yeah thats it. Head west to where the land is
always fertile and the well never goes dry.

And by all means, stay out of Vermont. Bunch of flamin' commies, those
Vermonters. Got their Ben and Jerry's and Johnson Woolies but don't
buy 'em at Wall-Mart! Gotta be the worst state in union. Head west
young man, head west.

Dave "Proud-To-Be-A-Woodchuck" Mann

ma...@math.nps.navy.mil

Eugene N. Miya

непрочитано,
3. 8. 1994. 18:14:183.8.94.
>Right on. The east sucks. Everybody should move west to the land
>of milk and honey. Yeah thats it. Head west to where the land is
>always fertile and the well never goes dry.

Eh, Dave, far be it from us to depreciate the fine East Coast.
The East coast is a fine place to for Easterners to say. The West:
very dangerous. Dangerous animals, earthquakes, fires, drought.
The West is wild.
Visit, spend money during vacations. When they ask, tell them Vail is
a very nice place. Gives them a chance to see how expensive it is to live
out there. Remember:
Vail.
Send them to Vail.

>And by all means, stay out of Vermont. Bunch of flamin' commies, those
>Vermonters. Got their Ben and Jerry's and Johnson Woolies but don't
>buy 'em at Wall-Mart! Gotta be the worst state in union. Head west
>young man, head west.

>Dave "Proud-To-Be-A-Woodchuck" Mann

Like lumberjacks?

John Kahila

непрочитано,
4. 8. 1994. 14:07:464.8.94.
Donald Morley (Berkshire S) (dmo...@k12.ucs.umass.edu) wrote:

: Oh boy! Another flame war! Following on the heels of "good dogs vs bad

: dogs", "Horseshit - is it bad or is it good", we bring you East vs West! Let
: the flame war start!! :-)

: I love the West, especially the Colorado Plateau and the Great Basin areas.
: But, as I said before "I sure am glad that there are fireflies in the
: east!!" And it seems to me that I've been in cities a lot worse than New
: York in California, or doesn't LA count.

LA can barely move. It's not fair to expect it to count.

I was born in CA, grew up in WA (both east & west of Cascades),
lived in MA until recently. I prefer the West ... but I am also
glad there are fireflies in the East, and I never saw a real
deciduous fall before leaving the West. I'll take autumn in New
Hampshire over autumn in California any day.

I also have to say that Finland is damned nice. I can walk the
streets of Helsinki 24 hours a day, and not a single little kid has been
murdered in gang crossfire since I arrived. A nice change from
Boston. (If we do this right, we can cram every known incendiary
issue into one thermonuclear thread. :-) )

-John Kahila<kah...@kyyppari.hkkk.fi>

Richard Hyde

непрочитано,
9. 8. 1994. 16:00:419.8.94.
Ok, Firefly experts, how about helping a westerner out? :-)

I'm going to St. Louis at th end of this month. What are my
chances of seeing one of these firefly bugs?

Rick

| Richard Hyde | R...@netcom.com | This space intentionally left blank |

marlie....@gmail.com

непрочитано,
11. 7. 2017. 22:04:5111.7.17.
I have lived in oregon for 42 years. Born, and raised. There are NO FIRE FLIES HERE.
0 нових порука