Rectal temperature during 3rd class Medical?

Cathy Sanderson

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

I just wanted to get some opinions.

I went for my very first 3rd Class Medical & Student Pilot Certificate
the other day and I never though that the examination was going to be
soooo thorough! Although the Doctor did not perform a GYN exam, she
asked me if I wanted her to do this. I recently had a GYN
appointment, so I declined her offer. However, since I was undressed
to just my panties (of course, with exam gown), it was no problem for
the Doctor to have me turn over on my stomach - spread the exam gown
and lower my panties a bit, so she could take my temperature with the
rectal thermometer. This sort of surprised me a bit, although tit
didn't hurt or anything like that, but I'm 27 years old! She told me
that it is "standard practice" and the most accurate way to measure
body temperature. While she was applying some lubricant before
inserting the thermometer, she also slid a gloved finger inside of my
rectum to check for hemorrhoids.

I'm not complaining --- I just thought that the examination was a bit
more than what would be required. I guess, doing all those touch and
go's could be difficult if you had hemorrhoids!

Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Cathy Sanderson

The Man

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

>Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Thankfully NO

Eric Crump

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Oh gimme a break!
They didn't even take my temperature.

Greg Maddux

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Just for an exam?? If she was to take your temp at all, oral is more
than sufficient. Maybe a rectal if you had long term environmental
exposure, such as hypothermia, otherwise no way. Did you complain of
hemmoroids? Don't think it will effect you qualifications for flying,
so there is no need to "check" for it. Was there a nurse present?
Better look for a new doctor, and a good lawyer.

>Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?
>

>Cathy Sanderson

Kelly Rhodes

Feb 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM2/28/98

Cathy Sanderson wrote:
<description of REALLY thorough exam snipped>
> Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

Cathy, I find that to be...kinda strange. I've had two medicals so far, one
3d class and one 1st class. Neither time did I have to worry about taking my
temperature in *any* way. I do use a male AME, and he's never offered to do a
GYN exam (thank god). Now, getting a good physical and GYN exam is sure a
smart idea, but I question it as part of a flight physical. I realize that
different AMEs have different methods, but this seems excessive. I think if
it had been me, I would have walked right out of that office as soon as
the words 'rectal thermometer' came up. You might look into a new AME.

Good lord. I sincerely hope that gynecological exams do not become standard
for getting a medical certificate.

--
Kelly Rhodes, ICQ 2516839
cor...@concentric.net, pancho...@geocities.com

"We who fly do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air
with this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet."
-Cecil Lewis, S.E.5 ace

Roger Halstead

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Cathy Sanderson wrote in message <34f86512...@news.mindspring.com>...

>I just wanted to get some opinions.

<snip>

>I'm not complaining --- I just thought that the examination was a bit
>more than what would be required. I guess, doing all those touch and
>go's could be difficult if you had hemorrhoids!
>

>Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

You should see the indignities they put you through through if you were
male.
They go a bit further than the hemorrhoids.

Roger Halstead K8RI and EAA Chapter 1093 Historian
N833R World's oldest Debonair? S# CD-2
http://members.tm.net/rdhalste

>Cathy Sanderson

Roger Halstead

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Eric Crump wrote in message <34f891b3...@news.primenet.com>...

>Oh gimme a break!
>They didn't even take my temperature.

Wait till you're older.

They check things that don't have a thing to do with flying although you
might jump a bit.
I don't mean an EKG either.

There is however a wide range to what is done in the exams and some AMEs are
far more thourough than others.

Being over 50, I just take the tape of my last EKG along in case they ask.

Robert L Bass

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Cathy Sanderson wrote:

--- snip ---

You guys got spoofed. The clue that something was amiss was the
comment about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will know what I
mean. Anyway, I did a Deja search on the above-named poster. Turns out
he or she has a history of posting about rectal exams, enemas, etc. NO
big deal, but this exam was probably a fantasy.

Anyway, my AME was never more intrusive than when he looked on my
ears. He made some comment about seeing light. :)

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass (student pilot)

Cathy Sanderson

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

NOT SO! In fact --- it was THAT experience that sparked the
question/interest/curiosity.

So, what about the "lubricant" were you saying? Obviously, not being
a Physician I don't know what you mean . . .

Cathy (what are YOU doing up @ 2:49 in the morning?)

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Robert L Bass wrote:

> You guys got spoofed. The clue that something was amiss was the
> comment about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will know what I
> mean. Anyway, I did a Deja search on the above-named poster. Turns out
>
> he or she has a history of posting about rectal exams, enemas, etc. NO
>
> big deal, but this exam was probably a fantasy.

What the %&@ are you talking about? I did a dejanews search and only
found postings related to the AME exam.
--
Rick Wagner
CP-AMEL/SEL IA

Check out my FLIGHT Page http://www.goldengate.net/~rwagner

Glmilligan

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Oh God, here we go again!

Greg

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
>
> > You guys got spoofed.
>

> What the %&@ are you talking about? I did a dejanews search and only
> found postings related to the AME exam.

Turns out Robert Bass was correct. I DID find the other postings and I
guess I'm now the official butt of the Cathy Sandersons joke.

Ron Natalie

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
>
> > You guys got spoofed. The clue that something was amiss was the
> > comment about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will know what I
> > mean. Anyway, I did a Deja search on the above-named poster. Turns out
> >
> > he or she has a history of posting about rectal exams, enemas, etc. NO
> >
> > big deal, but this exam was probably a fantasy.
>
> What the %&@ are you talking about? I did a dejanews search and only
> found postings related to the AME exam.

You need to be much more adept at searches then. I confirm Robert
Bass's observation. The poster seems to have lots of fantasies about
things happening in doctors offices with regard to ememas, gyn exams,
andthe like.

The thing was tainted from word go, there are a class of people who
seem to like to show up on the various groups and boards with these
preposterous stories hoping to get a rise out of the audience. Just
note how many exotic spanking posts show up on the parenting groups.

MWeil10082

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Cathy- I am a nurse and have assisted in the Pilot Physicals. here in the
northwest we do not do a hemorrhoid checks or rectal temperatures, we ask the
patient if they have had bloody or painful stools and take a tympanic (ear)
temperature. If the patient is having a problem than the dr would investigate
further. I am sorry you had this experience I think that it was unusual.
Doctors hardly ever check an infants temperature rectally any more-unless the
infant has a high temperature. It is just not necessary!!!

Robert L Bass

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:

> I did a dejanews search and only found postings
> related to the AME exam.

Select "Author Profile," Rick. Also, you can select "Complete" in the
drop down box before you click "Find." Just enter the author's name in
the data entry box.

I don't care what the person likes or doesn't like. That's her bag.
But the AME story might affect the willingness of an aspiring student
pilot to go through the exam. If it is a spoof, this should be known.
If not, then sobeit.

Robert L Bass

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:

> Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:
>
> > Robert L Bass wrote:
> >
> > > You guys got spoofed.
> >
> > What the %&@ are you talking about? I did a dejanews search and only

> > found postings related to the AME exam.
>
> Turns out Robert Bass was correct. I DID find the other postings and I
> guess I'm now the official butt of the Cathy Sandersons joke.

I don't mind the joke either, Rick. But I hope any young ladies who
may read it realise it was a joke. Some might be put off from flying
at the thought. Generally speaking, the AME exam ought to be boring,
quick and simple for most folks from what I've read and from my own
single experience. The only exciting thing about the whole thing was
listening to the AME's wonderful stories about his own aviation
experiences.

There was a middle-aged couple in the office when I arrived for my
exam. As I walked past to sit in the waiting room, the door was open.
That is because there was nothing going on during the exam that would
have embarassed either of them.

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass

========================>
Bass Home Electronics >
80 Bentwood Road >
W Hartford, CT 06107 >
alar...@BassHome.com >
http://www.BassHome.com >
860-561-9542 Voice >
860-521-2143 Fax >
========================>

rra...@courant.infi.net.nospam

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

notf...@yahoo.com (Cathy Sanderson) wrote:

>I just wanted to get some opinions.

>I went for my very first 3rd Class Medical & Student Pilot Certificate

>the other day and I never though that the examination was going to be
>soooo thorough! Although the Doctor did not perform a GYN exam, she
>asked me if I wanted her to do this. I recently had a GYN
>appointment, so I declined her offer. However, since I was undressed
>to just my pantie

<snipped>

OY

I also have my doubts about this posting from the choice of words
used. And Bob is correct, there is also a logical error in the
description.

Hate to be cynical, but it's probably written by a 15 year old boy
with a lot of time on his hands.

But just for the truly and profoundly bored, I went to get a 3d class
medical about 15 years ago (When I first started taking lessons, but
quit when I discovered the FBO owner had crashed and died during a
drug smuggling flight. But that's another story).

When I got to the office I discovered the AME was a GYN/OB full time.
It was interesting being the only male sitting alone in a waiting room
full of pregnant women, who looked at me with curiosity as it became
obvious I was there alone. I just patted my stomach and smiled, which
seemed to concern them further. I believe I had a beard at the time.

Anyway, this AME insisted on checking my prostate. Pretty bizarre
idea to check a 25 year old for prostate problems. And I didn't even
get a candlelit dinner (leaving me feeling cheap).

I later discovered this Doc had a reputation as overly thorough. So
there is a range of attitudes among AMEs out there.
Lesson: Check the AMEs reputation amongst other pilots before plunking
down your cash.

BTW, this story is true. The FBO is in the SW CT area.

Rich

Bob Gardner

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98
to notf...@yahoo.com

Cathy Sanderson wrote:

> I just wanted to get some opinions.
>
> I went for my very first 3rd Class Medical & Student Pilot Certificate
> the other day and I never though that the examination was going to be
> soooo thorough! Although the Doctor did not perform a GYN exam, she
> asked me if I wanted her to do this. I recently had a GYN
> appointment, so I declined her offer. However, since I was undressed
> to just my panties (of course, with exam gown), it was no problem for
> the Doctor to have me turn over on my stomach - spread the exam gown
> and lower my panties a bit, so she could take my temperature with the
> rectal thermometer. This sort of surprised me a bit, although tit
> didn't hurt or anything like that, but I'm 27 years old! She told me
> that it is "standard practice" and the most accurate way to measure
> body temperature. While she was applying some lubricant before
> inserting the thermometer, she also slid a gloved finger inside of my
> rectum to check for hemorrhoids.
>
> I'm not complaining --- I just thought that the examination was a bit
> more than what would be required. I guess, doing all those touch and
> go's could be difficult if you had hemorrhoids!
>
> Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?
>
> Cathy Sanderson

Be thankful that you don't have a prostate gland!

Over the years, my AME has picked up on several important things that
were not covered by the bare-bones Part 67 exam, and I am grateful to
him for that. Far be it from me to substitute my judgment for that of a
medical professional. At one time I had an AME who refused to touch me
except to meet the minimum requirements of the regs because he said that
if he found anything whatsover he was duty bound to report it to the
FAA--dropped him like a hot potato.

For the guys out there--I understand that prostate cancer is a terribly
painful way to die--much worse than a finger-wave every couple of years.

Bob Gardner

Robert L Bass

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

Bob Gardner wrote:

> For the guys out there--I understand that prostate cancer is a
> terribly painful way to die--much worse than a finger-wave every
> couple of years.

I don't think there's anyone who would disagree with you on this. I
would, however, prefer to have any such invasive tests or procedures
as part of my annual physical. If you're male, over 40 and not getting
a proper annual physical you're playing Russian roulette with your
health.

That's just my opinion. I'm not a physician.

As for the source of this thread, however, it was definitely a troll
-- amusing at best, certainly somewhat misleading. My only objection
is that the poster's claims might have a negative impact on someone
who is considering learning to fly. There are some people who would
find the idea of being *surprised* with a digital exam rather
offensive. I would agree with them.

In any case, the post was most likely just a bit of fantasy.

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass (student pilot)

kimgh

Mar 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/1/98

David wrote:
"No problem, Ill give Audie a call and
> we'll straighten all of this out" --- Audie Davis is the head Doc in
> OK City ---

Not any more; according to my AME, Audie has retired, and there's
someone else there now. I even saw the name recently, but don't
(unfortunately) remember it.

Kim

Neil Trotter

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <34f86512...@news.mindspring.com>, Cathy Sanderson said:

> I just wanted to get some opinions.

Here's an opinion for you, 'Cathy':

Guys,

Just to clear this up once and for all, Cathy is a kook, and 99% sure to
be a male one at that. Read this, purloined using Deja-News, and decide
for yourselves.

==== Article begins ====
Subject: I like examinations & Play Doctor is COOL!
From: notf...@yahoo.com (Cathy Sanderson)
Date: 1998/02/15
Newsgroups: alt.sex.enemas

Well, I've been surfing through this group for a week or so, and I've
had the opportunity to correspond with a bunch of people. And, I
guess I also get my share of damned spam, too!

BUT --- I've really got to say that this person who is PLAY DOCTOR is
pretty cool! He posts some interesting stuff, and it is amazing how
it is all the same theme, but also varied at the same time.

He has tol me that he'd be happy to show me what playing doctor is all
about, but I'm still a bit reluctant. What I thought was interesting
is that he actually encourage me to "check him out" on this newsgroup
--- in other words, he flat out said, "Ask around . . ." SO - that's
what I'm doing.

It's a big step for me to meet somebody and have them probing around
my body --- and being given an enema by them is probably the ultimate
level of trust or submission, but somehow this guy seems to really
have his act together.

What do you know about him? Has anybody else out there been seen by
him? What's the word on the street?

To my female counterparts: Is thi ssomething that you would do? Have
you communicated with Play Doctor? And, I guess, ultimately, do you
have "feelings" when thinking of being examined?

Oh, please, please --- I'm so confused and looking for some
assistance.

Cathy
==== Article Ends ====

-- Neil.

Neil Trotter, Shoeburyness, UK
+44 (0) 1702 291672
ne...@nook.demon.co.uk
http://www.nook.demon.co.uk/

Cathy Sanderson

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

I suppose I must explain myself, even though I didn't want to get
these two matters confused.

It is all quite simple. I have been a very basic but uninhibited
person for the past 27 years of my life. This whole experience with
going to the Doctor for the 3rd Class Medical has apparently unleashed
some fantasy or some desire --- or something like that; hence, the
posting as well to alt.sex.enemas.

SO -- you can think what you want and say what you want. That's the
beauty of being here in the USofA, right? But, two things are true:
1) What I experienced DID happen and, 2) it did spark my interest in
what has turned out to be "medical fantasy" play.

That's all I can say.

Cathy

Gerald Kurata

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

When I got my third class, the doctor did ask me if I had had a
prostate exam in the recent past. It turns out I had, so we skipped
that He said, he usually does them for men over 40.

Seemed a bit wierd to me at the time.

Jerry

David

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

There may be some people who disagree with me, but I have had the
benefit of my personal physician also being an AME. I wanted that so
that I didn't have a lot of explaining to do if I had to check a "yes"
on the 100 questions game for the form.

Luckily, the AME that I use also has a superior reputation as in
internist. So, while he knows everything about me, some o fwhich
maybe the FAA doesn't need to know, he also knows all about me and can
decide what the FAA needs to know. And, I can tell you, when you
check "migraine headache" on the form, they tend to sit up and take
notice! Then my Doctor says, "No problem, Ill give Audie a call and

we'll straighten all of this out" --- Audie Davis is the head Doc in

OK City --- and it's pretty comforting to know that your AME Doc just
gives him a call!

David Moeslein
ATP/CFI
FAA Aviation Safety Counselor
Baltimore FSDO

David

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

That was "at the time" --- the guy is still wired with the powers that
be out there . . .

Thanks for the general update, though.

On Sun, 01 Mar 1998 21:53:26 -0800, kimgh <ki...@concentric.net>
wrote:

>David wrote:
> "No problem, Ill give Audie a call and
>> we'll straighten all of this out" --- Audie Davis is the head Doc in
>> OK City ---

Jim Weir

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer <pi...@starkey.com>

->Turns out Robert Bass was correct. I DID find the other postings and I
->guess I'm now the official butt of the Cathy Sandersons joke.

My GOD, somebody admitting a mistake in the newsgroups. Sir, I take my hat
off to you. There isn't one in a thousand with the guts to admit a
mistake. My congratulations.

Jim
Jim Weir (A&P, CFI, and other good alphabet soup)
VP Engineering, RST
Web address: www.rst-engr.com

Greg Bullough

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

[Story of 'in depth' 3rd class medical exam]

>>Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

I've heard such things.

Thought: AME's should stick to the specific requirements of the
exam at hand. Yes for a 3rd class, they may ask you to pony up
$85, but if they want you to have your 'moneys worth,' they ought
to lower the fee. For any number of reasons, the 'medical' exam
ought to be bounded by the requirements at hand, and only those
requirements. The most important reason is that the AME represents
the FAA's interests, not yours, in the relationship.

For the same reason, your AME and your primary-care physician
probably aren't one and the same.

Greg
--

Greg Bullough | AFM Local 1000 AFL/CIO
g...@eclipse.net | K2GWB
| PP-ASEL
www.eclipse.net/~gwb for Compass Rogues & NY Chantey Sings

Greg Bullough

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

In article <34F9CB69...@halcyon.com> bob...@halcyon.com writes:
> At one time I had an AME who refused to touch me
>except to meet the minimum requirements of the regs because he said that
>if he found anything whatsover he was duty bound to report it to the
>FAA--dropped him like a hot potato.

Mistake. That AME was acting in your interests, in defining the
relationship clearly.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a thorough annual physical.
You should. But not with a representative of the FAA whose duty
it is to find reasons why you shouldn't be allowed to fly.

Dennis Monroe

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Cathy, My 3rd class was pretty much a quick check to see if I was vertical
and breathing! If you really feel violated I think you would be perfectly
within your rights to lodge a complaint with the FAA. Sorry you had such a
bad experience.

Robert L Bass

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Greg Bullough wrote:

> That doesn't mean you shouldn't have a thorough annual physical.
> You should. But not with a representative of the FAA whose duty
> it is to find reasons why you shouldn't be allowed to fly.

I guess it's all a matter of perception (or of who your AME is?).

My impression of the AME was he tries to ascertain whether we are
physically safe to fly. My exam was not an unpleasant experience. In
fact, the guy is a GA pilot who no longer flies due to a heart
problem. He was one of the nicest folks in any "official" capacity.

Robert L Bass

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Jim Weir wrote:

> Rick Wagner - DT Flyer <pi...@starkey.com>
> shared these priceless pearls of wisdom:
>
> ->Turns out Robert Bass was correct. I DID find the other postings and I
> ->guess I'm now the official butt of the Cathy Sandersons joke.
>
> My GOD, somebody admitting a mistake in the newsgroups. Sir, I take my hat
> off to you. There isn't one in a thousand with the guts to admit a
> mistake. My congratulations.

Rick also contacted me privately. He's honest AND a nice guy.

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass (impressed student pilot)

Michael

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

If the original message is real, then I'd sue the pants off (no pun
intended) that doc.

That is WAY out of line for a 3rd class med.

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Greg Maddux wrote:

>Just for an exam?? If she was to take your temp at all, oral is more
>than sufficient. Maybe a rectal if you had long term environmental
>exposure, such as hypothermia, otherwise no way. Did you complain of
>hemmoroids? Don't think it will effect you qualifications for flying,
>so there is no need to "check" for it. Was there a nurse present?
> Better look for a new doctor, and a good lawyer.

>On Sat, 28 Feb 1998 19:34:02 GMT, notf...@yahoo.com (Cathy
>Sanderson) wrote:
>
>>I just wanted to get some opinions.
>>

>>I went for my very first 3rd Class Medical & Student Pilot Certificate
>>the other day and I never though that the examination was going to be
>>soooo thorough! Although the Doctor did not perform a GYN exam, she
>>asked me if I wanted her to do this. I recently had a GYN
>>appointment, so I declined her offer. However, since I was undressed
>>to just my panties (of course, with exam gown), it was no problem for
>>the Doctor to have me turn over on my stomach - spread the exam gown
>>and lower my panties a bit, so she could take my temperature with the
>>rectal thermometer. This sort of surprised me a bit, although tit
>>didn't hurt or anything like that, but I'm 27 years old! She told me
>>that it is "standard practice" and the most accurate way to measure
>>body temperature. While she was applying some lubricant before
>>inserting the thermometer, she also slid a gloved finger inside of my
>>rectum to check for hemorrhoids.
>>
>>I'm not complaining --- I just thought that the examination was a bit
>>more than what would be required. I guess, doing all those touch and
>>go's could be difficult if you had hemorrhoids!
>>

>>Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?
>>

>>Cathy Sanderson

Because light travels faster than sound, some
people appear bright until you hear them speak.
**********************************
mailto: mab...@cybernex.net.NOSPAM
**********************************

sue

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Cathy Sanderson wrote:
> <snip fun time description>

> Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?

nope. i only had to lose my shirt for the stethescope
stuff; my examiner didn't ask/do any of those things.
(lucky me!)

sue

sue

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Robert L Bass wrote:

> The clue that something was amiss was the comment about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will know what I mean.
>

> Blue Skies,
> Robert L Bass (student pilot)

uh, robert...
have you ever gotten a latex glove stuck up your ***
because the physician didn't use lubricant

sue ***ex medical professional**

Robert L Bass

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer wrote:

>> Rick also contacted me privately. He's honest AND a nice guy.
>>
>> Blue Skies,
>> Robert L Bass (impressed student pilot)
>
> Can I have one of your Bud's now?

Sorry Rick. I don't drink. But you've got my respect. Peace...

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass

========================>

Robert L Bass

Mar 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/2/98

sue wrote:

> Robert L Bass wrote:
>
>> The clue that something was amiss was the comment
>> about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will
>> know what I mean.

> uh, robert...

> have you ever gotten a latex glove stuck up your ***
> because the physician didn't use lubricant

Sigh. I was going to drop the subject since others have uncovered the
same information I found. But since you ask....

I'm well over 40 and I have had a comprehensive physical each year for
some time now. What I noticed first that seemed irregular was the
coment about lubricant. My very limited experience with digital rectal
exams is the doctor lubricates his gloved finger -- not the patient's
bottom. AFAIK, the same is true of rectal thermometers. The goop goes
on the instrument, not on the patient.

The next thing that sounded wrong was the bit about the doctor pulling
down the patient's underwear. Again, in my limited experience with
physicians, they have adults undress themselves when necessary.

Then the poster claimed the doctor began an internal exam without
warning. I thought this would be way out of bounds. The poster's
light-hearted treatment of the subject seemed incongruous. I wondered
if a grown woman would really be so casual about such treatment if it
had really happened.

Taken together, all of this sounded to me like a fantasy and not a
real event. So I did a quick Deja search and found that the poster has
a history of posting in groups that cater to anal fetishes, enemas,
etc. As I stated earlier, I really don't care if someone has an
interest in such matters. That's their personal business. I pointed it
out because it looked like a spoof and I also thought it might put off
some wannabe student pilot.

It really is not a big deal, just someone's silly joke from what I can
tell.

Blue Skies,
Robert L Bass (student pilot)

Rick Wagner - DT Flyer

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Robert L Bass wrote:

> Jim Weir wrote:
> >
> > Rick Wagner - DT Flyer <pi...@starkey.com>
> > shared these priceless pearls of wisdom:
> >
> > ->Turns out Robert Bass was correct. I DID find the other postings
> and I
> > ->guess I'm now the official butt of the Cathy Sandersons joke.
> >
> > My GOD, somebody admitting a mistake in the newsgroups. Sir, I take
> my hat
> > off to you. There isn't one in a thousand with the guts to admit a
> > mistake. My congratulations.
>

> Rick also contacted me privately. He's honest AND a nice guy.
>

> Blue Skies,

> Robert L Bass (impressed student pilot)

Can I have one of your Bud's now?

Cathy Sanderson

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Let me try to clarify a bit more:

I DID NOT FEEL "VIOLATED" --- I was just curious because I thought
that the examination was a bit more thorough than I had expected (but
it didn't bother me) and I thought it a bit unusual for my temperature
to be taken rectally. That's all.

Now --- having received a number of replies I find that taking the
temperature rectally is standard practice in Europe. Further, some
folks have made mention about my cross postings in alt.sex.enemas.
Hey! I gotta tell you that the experience sort of sparked a bit of an
"interest" - - - that's all. Finally, what's all this stuff about
terminology when I described the Doctor "applying lubricant"? I don't
know what I should have said?

Cathy

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998 12:53:27 -0500, "Dennis Monroe"
<Denn...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Cathy, My 3rd class was pretty much a quick check to see if I was vertical
>and breathing! If you really feel violated I think you would be perfectly
>within your rights to lodge a complaint with the FAA. Sorry you had such a
>bad experience.

Jesse Kempa

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Don't troll this NG please, its barely been a month since the last
"situation" lasting several months, calmed down!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sanderson) wrote:

>I just wanted to get some opinions.

Greg Bullough

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

In article <34FB0C69...@basshome.com> Robert L Bass <alar...@basshome.com> writes:

>I guess it's all a matter of perception (or of who your AME is?).
>
>My impression of the AME was he tries to ascertain whether we are
>physically safe to fly. My exam was not an unpleasant experience. In
>fact, the guy is a GA pilot who no longer flies due to a heart
>problem. He was one of the nicest folks in any "official" capacity.

The AME's I've dealt with have also been 'nice guys.' In fact, I
grew up flying in the back seat of an AME's Comanche B.

BUT, the key phrase here is 'official capacity.' Your local cop may
be a real 'nice guy,' but it probably still isn't a good idea to drive
up to him and ask what to do about the expired registration that you
have in the glove box of the car you just drove up to him in!

If you identify to your personal non-AME physician a situation which
might put you in the margins by the letter of the law for a month or
so, no problem is apt to ensue of which you aren't in control. If
you do so to the guy who issues (issued) your medical, and there is any
grey area, you might be in for a bureaucratic hassle that you just
don't need.

Also, in conversations with your personal physician, you don't want
to have to be on your guard and thinking about 'what does this mean
to my FAA medical' prior to reporting a condition or suspected condition.

Kevin Roll

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

In article <34FB23...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu>, svk...@alpha2.csd.uwm.edu
says...

> Robert L Bass wrote:
> > The clue that something was amiss was the comment about the AME applying lubricant. Physicians will know what I mean.
> >

> > Blue Skies,
> > Robert L Bass (student pilot)

> uh, robert...
> have you ever gotten a latex glove stuck up your ***
> because the physician didn't use lubricant
>

> sue ***ex medical professional**

I think it's still there...

--

Personal Homepage: http://www.cyberdrive.net/~kroll
Chew's Eye Shop Homepage: http://www.bandgelect.com/chews

Walter Murray

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

David (jak...@mindspring.com) wrote:
: Then my Doctor says, "No problem, Ill give Audie a call and

: we'll straighten all of this out" --- Audie Davis is the head Doc in
: OK City --- and it's pretty comforting to know that your AME Doc just
: gives him a call!

Hmmm. Maybe we've stumbled onto something here. At my last
exam, my AME also made some casual remark about Audie, as though
he were a personal acquaintance. Maybe this is something AMEs do?
Or maybe "calling Audie" is just a figure of speech, a metaphor for
calling the FAA aeromedical people. Or maybe David and I just have
special doctors, or maybe Audie Davis knows a lot of people.

So how about it! Anybody else have an AME who seems to personally
know Audie Davis?

Well, gotta go. Have to call Bill now and straighten out this
mess with Iraq.

Walter

sue

Mar 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/3/98

Robert L Bass wrote:
<snip>

sorry, just got all excited over nichts, so kann ich sehen!

Alun

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

In article <34fb5c0d....@news.mindspring.com>, Cathy Sanderson
<notf...@yahoo.com> writes

>Let me try to clarify a bit more:
>
>I DID NOT FEEL "VIOLATED" --- I was just curious because I thought
>that the examination was a bit more thorough than I had expected (but
>it didn't bother me) and I thought it a bit unusual for my temperature
>to be taken rectally. That's all.
>
>Now --- having received a number of replies I find that taking the
>temperature rectally is standard practice in Europe. Further, some
>folks have made mention about my cross postings in alt.sex.enemas.
>Hey! I gotta tell you that the experience sort of sparked a bit of an
>"interest" - - - that's all. Finally, what's all this stuff about
>terminology when I described the Doctor "applying lubricant"? I don't
>know what I should have said?

I've been in hospital a number of times in Europe, and I have a number
of friends in the medical profession. I've never had my temperature
taken other than orally or aurally.

My Doctor friend (who's getting married in a few weeks - poor boy :) )
said it just isn't done much anymore. I suppose if your were
incapacitated they might do so, as you can't hold the thermometer in
your mouth while unconscious, but in this circumstance I think fantasy
is the main reason for the post.

Now - back to aviation.

--
Alun

John R. Johnson

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

On 3 Mar 1998, Walter Murray wrote:

> So how about it! Anybody else have an AME who seems to personally
> know Audie Davis?

I suspect they ALL do. To remain an AME your doctor has to travel to
Oklahoma and spend a week or so discussing the physical, what they are
looking for, and what is acceptable and what must be referred back to
OKC. This is NOT a one time thing. A Doctor who has been an AME for
more than a few years does get to know the folks at the other end of
the line.

John

Tom Jackson

Mar 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/4/98

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.980304094930.27297x-100000@reliant>, "John R.
Johnson" <jo...@siu.edu> wrote:

> On 3 Mar 1998, Walter Murray wrote:
> >
> > So how about it! Anybody else have an AME who seems to personally
> > know Audie Davis?
> >
> I suspect they ALL do. To remain an AME your doctor has to travel to
> Oklahoma and spend a week or so discussing the physical, what they are
> looking for, and what is acceptable and what must be referred back to
> OKC.

I did meet Audie Davis when I was down there to get my AME, but he was
retiring about that time, also. They tell me I don't have to go back to
OKC for recurrency training each time, however.
--
Tom Jackson Medical College of Georgia
Aztec N888SB Geriatric Service

Ron Natalie

Mar 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/9/98

Walter Murray wrote:

> So how about it! Anybody else have an AME who seems to personally
> know Audie Davis?

Well, Audie is retired. I suspect that a lot of the "coloquialism"
comes from the fact that Audie's signature (or facsimile) is on a
lot of the official correspondence coming from there. Anybody who
had their medical deferred to OKC, got it issued with Audie's signature
on it.

I guess this is better than my controller friends who always pronounce
Oklahoma City with a J on the front of it.

Ian Chard

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Alun (A...@alunbell.demon.co.uk) wrote:

: My Doctor friend (who's getting married in a few weeks - poor boy :) )

: said it just isn't done much anymore. I suppose if your were
: incapacitated they might do so, as you can't hold the thermometer in
: your mouth while unconscious, but in this circumstance I think fantasy
: is the main reason for the post.

When my girlfriend had her temperature taken recently, the doctor just
stuck something in her ear that went "beep" after about 2 seconds, and
read the temperature off the digital display. Sounds a lot easier than
sticking something up your bum.

--
Ian Chard, HP-UX Support TMO IT, Hewlett Packard South Queensferry
Email: <ianc...@sqf.hp.com> Telnet: 313-3328 Phone: +44 (0)131 331 6328

"Give a man a mask and he'll tell you the truth" -- Oscar Wilde

Robert L Bass

Mar 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/10/98

Ian Chard wrote:

> When my girlfriend had her temperature taken recently, the doctor just
> stuck something in her ear that went "beep" after about 2 seconds, and
> read the temperature off the digital display. Sounds a lot easier than
> sticking something up your bum.

Besides, what good would it do to take some homeless person's
temperature during your medical?

Morten Boyd

Mar 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/11/98

Ian Chard wrote:

> Alun (A...@alunbell.demon.co.uk) wrote:
>
> but in this circumstance I think fantasy
> : is the main reason for the post.

I just had my medical last week, and the nurse actually gave me a blowjob!

Just curious as whether anyone else out there had a similar experience. ;-)

Russell Gabriel

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

This is TOTALLY INAPROPRATE in this NG.
Go to alt.sex.something if you need.

Ryan R. Healy

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Morten Boyd wrote:

> I just had my medical last week, and the nurse actually gave me a blowjob!

Outstanding! Now, just which AME do you go to?

--
Blue Skies,

Ryan R. Healy
mailto:rhea...@sprynet.com
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/rhealy707

Morten Boyd

Mar 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM3/12/98

Russell Gabriel wrote:

> This is TOTALLY INAPROPRATE in this NG.
> Go to alt.sex.something if you need.

If you'd been following this thread, you would have understood the JOKE,
Russell. (It's called sarcasm.)

joe kriskewic

Jun 10, 2021, 9:24:41 AM6/10/21
On Saturday, February 28, 1998 at 3:00:00 AM UTC-5, Cathy Sanderson wrote:
> I just wanted to get some opinions.
> I went for my very first 3rd Class Medical & Student Pilot Certificate
> the other day and I never though that the examination was going to be
> soooo thorough! Although the Doctor did not perform a GYN exam, she
> asked me if I wanted her to do this. I recently had a GYN
> appointment, so I declined her offer. However, since I was undressed
> to just my panties (of course, with exam gown), it was no problem for
> the Doctor to have me turn over on my stomach - spread the exam gown
> and lower my panties a bit, so she could take my temperature with the
> rectal thermometer. This sort of surprised me a bit, although tit
> didn't hurt or anything like that, but I'm 27 years old! She told me
> that it is "standard practice" and the most accurate way to measure
> body temperature. While she was applying some lubricant before
> inserting the thermometer, she also slid a gloved finger inside of my
> rectum to check for hemorrhoids.
> I'm not complaining --- I just thought that the examination was a bit
> more than what would be required. I guess, doing all those touch and
> go's could be difficult if you had hemorrhoids!
> Does anybody have any thoughts or similar experiences?
>
> Cathy Sanderson
I took my wifes temperature that way all the time, even when she was pregnant.