Clubs Still Flying List

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2020, 11:21:32 AM3/29/20
What clubs are still flying? I’d like to get a feel for what’s really happening out there in the “actual” not simulated soaring scene. Us at central alabama soaring are still in the air albit with limited and heavy precautionary activities. Just solo flying. I towed a few on friday and wanted to fly myself but we have the same age old non-viral related problem, lack of tow pilots.

Costal soaring club down in the panhandle of FL flew yesterday with 8 flights so they are still doing things. Any other clubs in non-epidemic areas still flying?
Dan

Roy B.

Mar 29, 2020, 12:46:43 PM3/29/20
Dan:
It's still a little early for the New England clubs to have started. We need to get through mud season before we allow cars and trailers on the field. Typical season starts here are Mid-April and even later for the clubs farther north.
I expect that when we start it will be phased - with single place ships first and dual instruction coming back later.
ROY

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2020, 12:57:33 PM3/29/20
Yes Roy, I figured things way up north would be slow even with a normal year. I know also that the NY and NJ guys are gonna be pretty locked down for at least another month due to the viral issue. The real big issue for me is the 1-26 champs scheduled for last half of june. Sure don’t want to see that contest cancelled or postponed. If they decide to push it back into later july or august that will totally screw me out of it as my crop dusting season takes all my time then.
Dan

Bob Youngblood

Mar 29, 2020, 5:49:51 PM3/29/20
Treasure Coat Soaring is still active, we have only banned Dogs and flaming liberals.

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2020, 5:53:37 PM3/29/20
Thanks Bob definitely my kind of club. I sure do plan to come visit you guys sometime. Hopefully put together
a 1-26/low performance mini meet.
Dan
Message has been deleted

Roy B.

Mar 29, 2020, 6:17:28 PM3/29/20
Dan:
I've got my fingers crossed too. I'm CD for the Region 1 (week before and of 4th of July). Seems to me that we mostly need a way to get around the pilot's meetings. Crew less pilots (who may have to share the ride post retrieve) are an issue too.

Now, about those guys who have "only banned Dogs and flaming liberals."

WHAT HAVE YOU GOT AGAINST DOGS?????

Keep smiling
ROY

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 29, 2020, 6:26:37 PM3/29/20
LOL Roy, no I love dogs, but just did’nt want to stir the mix too much, some characters on here seem to just be waiting to react to my posts lol. See what I get for trying to be nice lololol but I still don’t give a flying F if I piss off the liberals, but mean no offense to the dogs, dogs are always better company and have more common sense than any liberal. lol

Roy B.

Mar 29, 2020, 6:45:20 PM3/29/20
I love my mutt too. And I am thinking that maybe corona virus was invented by a dog.
They've got everybody home all the time and playing with them.
ROY

Bob Youngblood

Mar 30, 2020, 7:09:02 AM3/30/20
Roy, yes, dogs are banned from the property! this was a directive from the property owner and I certainly think that he has that authority as the owner. If the dog owner wants to change that policy then put up 10 million and buy the place.
Now about the flaming liberals, I trust the dogs much more than the flaming liberals. Just look at Florida and see what the flaming liberals are doing. Instead of staying in their own state and self quarantine they hop on a plane and head in our direction making the situation much worse. Just look at the COVID package that was full of pork created by the flaming liberals, what a shame!
One character took my comment so serious that he posted negative things about our club on our club Facebook page. Now really, this character has no class what so ever, going after a club because of what one individual wrote in a private group.
Maybe we all need to take a close look at ourselves before we condemn others.

Roy B.

Mar 30, 2020, 8:05:19 AM3/30/20
HiBob:
Maybe we could all pitch in and buy the owner a dog? That might bring him around. Cheaper than buying the airfield.

One of the fun parts of gliding competition is re-visiting all of the dogs. Frank / Jayne at BH had Magnum (a huge mastif sadly gone now I think), John G & Sandra D have a herd of 4 terriers, Dave Springford has Kiley, John Murry has Dixie & another, etc. We all get to know the dogs as well as the owners. Maybe there should be an article on "Soaring Dogs"?

Sorry about the liberal invasion of Florida, but I think it's not just liberals. I understand that all of the conservatives in NYC have fled the city too. . . both of them in one car. :-)

All the best

ROY

Bob Youngblood

Mar 30, 2020, 8:22:53 AM3/30/20
I too have Bella, a great yellow lab! I understand completely but the liability factor is the concern. Now about the two conservatives, I bet they don't drive a Tesla. My interactions this past October with a flaming liberal has had a big impact on me, I now pack two pistols instead of one. Well I guess since our flying is somewhat curtailed I can fire up the sprayer and tend to my Mango orchard. Bob
Message has been deleted

MNLou

Mar 30, 2020, 11:30:31 AM3/30/20
I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment.

I'm there to share my love of flying with other pilots of like mind.

That philosophy seems to have served me well. It might serve RAS well too.

Lou

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 11:46:05 AM3/30/20
Aw MnLou, airports=no religion no politics? I wish that was true, but my experience has been somewhat different. Lets see, we got the high performance guys dising the low performance guys, and the xc fliers thinking the local-only guys are not “true glider fliers”, and the powers guys bitching about the glider guys being in their way etc etc. Sounds alot like arguing heaven/hell, Jesus vs Allah, Liberals vs Conservatives.

If only we could all agree, or a more practical solution; to agree to disagree, and we could all go about our individual goals. I think half of our problem is most of us are stuck on the ground right now so all we have is time on our hands, time to moan n groan n argue just for the entertainment value of it. Things will get much better when we can all get back in the air and all do our thing. Then we can argue about more entertaining subjects like who’s got the best xc wx Marfa or Minden lol.

gfbwi...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 12:04:16 PM3/30/20
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 11:21:32 AM UTC-4, uneekc...@gmail.com wrote:
Caesar Creek Soaring Club (SW Ohio) - Has closed down for the duration.

Roy B.

Mar 30, 2020, 12:31:01 PM3/30/20
"I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment."

I don't know about the airport environment, but when I am 250 km away from home, scratching down at 800', and I see another glider circling steep nearby, I don't much care if he is a Trump or a Bernie supporter, Catholic, Muslim, Jew or Druid.
He is my new best friend.
ROY

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 12:39:04 PM3/30/20
LOL absolute truth! Help jesus help allah hirray obama hurray trump just help me now! Lol

son_of_flubber

Mar 30, 2020, 2:30:05 PM3/30/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 11:30:31 AM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
> I consider the airport to be a no religion / no politics environment.
>
> I'm there to share my love of flying with other pilots of like mind.

Glider pilots who wear (whatever) politics/religion on their sleeves discourage people from getting/staying involved in the sport. Especially young people.

I once enjoyed two days of flying with a great pilot who I found out afterwards believes 'Nazis were/are not so bad'. It never came up.

The gliding community is much too small to bring forward topics that divide us.

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 2:41:52 PM3/30/20
Flubber, the discussions here usually end up in controversy n crap. But this place is mostly populated with old codgers who like me, have been in the sport for decades, are not going anywhere( not going to leave the sport) and are all of strong opinions including yourself. When I am out at the field or visiting another field flying, this stuff rarely comes up and reasonable conversations can be had because we have the time face to face to present our points of view in their totality. I don’t know of a single potential glider pilot who has been run away from a club via political opinions. I have however seen guys move on due to the clickiness of old time club members.

Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Mar 30, 2020, 3:41:15 PM3/30/20
Hear hear....although I usually look at birds (other than seagulls....)...whatever, a save is a save.....
Politics, religion, sexual preference is something for a possible hanger discussion....flying is a better set of rules!

son_of_flubber

Mar 30, 2020, 4:24:59 PM3/30/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:41:52 PM UTC-4, uneekc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Flubber, the discussions here usually end up in controversy n crap. But this place is mostly populated with old codgers who like me, have been in the sport for decades, are not going anywhere( not going to leave the sport) and are all of strong opinions including yourself. When I am out at the field or visiting another field flying, this stuff rarely comes up and reasonable conversations can be had because we have the time face to face to present our points of view in their totality. I don’t know of a single potential glider pilot who has been run away from a club via political opinions. I have however seen guys move on due to the clickiness of old time club members.

When you treat RAS as a private conversation between an in-group of buddies, you overlook that RAS is a public forum on the internet. People who're curious about the sport stumble in here for a first impression, and some hold unflattering preconceptions about old men (aka most soaring pilots). Search on any soaring related topic in the USA, and RAS pops to the top of the results.

The people that are turned off by this first-impression never make it to the airport.

Bob Youngblood

Mar 30, 2020, 4:26:19 PM3/30/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 3:41:15 PM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
> Hear hear....although I usually look at birds (other than seagulls....)...whatever, a save is a save.....
> Politics, religion, sexual preference is something for a possible hanger discussion....flying is a better set of rules!

We could have save a few bucks and helped society much better if the package had not included 25 million for the Kennedy Center, 350 Million for refugee resettlement, 75 million to PBS, and 25 million to congressional salaries. Am I missing the point here??? I saw nothing in the package for glider pilot relief tubes. Bob

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 4:39:10 PM3/30/20
The people that are turned off by this first-impression never make it to the airport.

I think most of the folks “stumbling” into this site have more internet savvy than you give them credit for. Anyone with a lick of sense or seriousness about exploring soaring can read thru the posts and know how to digest a meal (relevant soaring info) and spit out the bones (personal commentary).

If anything may be objectionable to newcommers, it may be the intolerance many show here to opposing viewpoints. I think if we all portray a more open nature toward all the diverse ideas and opinions here, we would be doing the whole community a service.
Dan

tow...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 5:40:50 PM3/30/20
I extend my engine.

tow...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 5:45:51 PM3/30/20
correction: it would already be extended.

Roy B.

Mar 30, 2020, 6:02:21 PM3/30/20
Well that's one solution - but I don't have one of those.

ROY (who has retrieved 4 sustainer engine gliders out of fields).

gregg...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 6:40:07 PM3/30/20
Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.

tow...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 7:05:17 PM3/30/20

> Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.

A story about the bad old days: when I started gliding in the 60s, in the UK, I had to arrive early to get my name on the list for a winch launch. Little hope of a second winch launch, and I could not afford aerotows. It was explained to me that 'this was the way gliding was, and if I really wanted to fly, I'd persevere'.

Frank Whiteley

Mar 30, 2020, 8:24:27 PM3/30/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 5:05:17 PM UTC-6, tow...@gmail.com wrote:

> > Good. If snowflakes stay away so much the better for soaring.
>
> A story about the bad old days: when I started gliding in the 60s, in the UK, I had to arrive early to get my name on the list for a winch launch. Little hope of a second winch launch, and I could not afford aerotows. It was explained to me that 'this was the way gliding was, and if I really wanted to fly, I'd persevere'.

And you learned much by remaining there all day, listening in on the instructor/student interactions, watching (and rating) student patterns and landings, and running wings and marshaling launches and perhaps a warm evening in the club house or pub afterwards. Most winch clubs I was familiar with gave a student three launches before switching. That is, unless they soared away for about 30 minutes from the first launch or 20 minutes from the second. That way little time was wasted getting in and out of the glider between launches. Of course, not everywhere had the space to land back and take another launch.

Do any clubs still do first come, first served rotations?

uncl...@ix.netcom.com

Mar 30, 2020, 8:52:52 PM3/30/20
At our club in New York students fly in the order they arrive. The early bird may get a couple of flights together before the next one shows up. The guys that sleep in wait longer and fly a bit less. Show up at 2:00 on Sunday afternoon and you will wait a good while and may only get one flight.
After you get your flight(s)put name back on the list to go again and go help work the line.
UH

cliff...@gmail.com

Mar 30, 2020, 11:04:03 PM3/30/20
Same here uh, we sign up as we get there and go to the end of the list after we fly so it works pretty well for the early birds I tell the students if they can get out there early get the plane ready I'll come out and I'll fly as much as I can with them. Some of the older club members get out there late and only get a flight in the students if they get there early and have the plane ready get several considering our winch launch and only a one flight per 12 minute or 20 minutes depending on how excited the retrieve driver is :) but all that's done now for a few weeks has we're on a shelter-in-place order in Arizona now :(

SoaringXCellence

Mar 31, 2020, 12:23:02 PM3/31/20
My club also does sign-up order for flights and aircraft.

Bob Youngblood

Mar 31, 2020, 4:08:33 PM3/31/20
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:41:52 PM UTC-4, uneekc...@gmail.com wrote:
> Flubber, the discussions here usually end up in controversy n crap. But this place is mostly populated with old codgers who like me, have been in the sport for decades, are not going anywhere( not going to leave the sport) and are all of strong opinions including yourself. When I am out at the field or visiting another field flying, this stuff rarely comes up and reasonable conversations can be had because we have the time face to face to present our points of view in their totality. I don’t know of a single potential glider pilot who has been run away from a club via political opinions. I have however seen guys move on due to the clickiness of old time club members.

This is a great post!!! Looks like ole uneekc has set the record straight about the abundant of misfits here just having a great time. This COVID scenario has everybody on their defensive, but time will heal. I was able to pick up a 12 pack this morning, not of Bud Light but instead of Charmin to protect my back side.
Lines at stores in Florida are tough to work through, only buying a few of the essentials is the primary goal. I did check the toilet paper supply today at the gliderport and they were down to their last roll, so I loaned them one.
Spent most of the day watering and spraying the mango orchard, I am collecting the fallen leaves just in case. Bob

Jonathan St. Cloud

Mar 31, 2020, 4:37:25 PM3/31/20
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 2:49:51 PM UTC-7, Bob Youngblood wrote:
> On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 11:21:32 AM UTC-4, uneekc...@gmail.com wrote:
> > What clubs are still flying? I’d like to get a feel for what’s really happening out there in the “actual” not simulated soaring scene. Us at central alabama soaring are still in the air albit with limited and heavy precautionary activities. Just solo flying. I towed a few on friday and wanted to fly myself but we have the same age old non-viral related problem, lack of tow pilots.
> >
> > Costal soaring club down in the panhandle of FL flew yesterday with 8 flights so they are still doing things. Any other clubs in non-epidemic areas still flying?
> > Dan
> Treasure Coat Soaring is still active, we have only banned Dogs and flaming liberals.

My Dog is a "flaming liberal". He loves cats, and doesn't mind when the kitten eats from his dish.

Dan Marotta

Mar 31, 2020, 4:44:20 PM3/31/20
I went to the grocery store yesterday as it was along my route to the
airport.  It's 25 miles east of Albuquerque and, as such, was not very
crowded.  I asked one of the employees if they were having any trouble
keeping the shelves stocked and she replied in the negative.  I also
asked her about "senior shopping hours" and she told me that they have
them:  Monday, Wednesday, and Friday from 0700 to 0800!  Cripes!  I'm a
glider pilot!  I'm still in bed just thinking about getting up at that hour.

Anyway, it was not a big deal.  The really big deal was learning that
the biggest hangar at the airport burned to the ground yesterday in the
early morning hours; a total loss.  I wonder what was the cause and hope
we get some information in a timely manner.
--
Dan, 5J

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2020, 4:49:20 PM3/31/20
Oh man that bad news Dan, was that the long skinny club hangar or one of the other big private ones?
Dan

Bob Youngblood

Mar 31, 2020, 4:59:05 PM3/31/20
You need to educate the dog!

Dan Marotta

Mar 31, 2020, 8:25:09 PM3/31/20
No, it was the gigantic hangar just north of the carousel (if you're
familiar with Moriarty).  I just checked on google maps.  It is not
shown.  It was in the empty lot on the eastern most row.  It was the
third one from the south.  The carousel is the second one from the south
and has 5 trailers parked next to it.

--
Dan, 5J

uneekc...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2020, 8:39:13 PM3/31/20
Oh yeh I remember that hangar. I remember one of those trailers having a dragon painted on it. I remember seeing that trailer out at minden back in the day.

Tom

Mar 31, 2020, 8:44:58 PM3/31/20
Loaning toilet paper - man, it’s gotten really bad!

joesimmers

Mar 31, 2020, 10:17:41 PM3/31/20
<<<I did check the toilet paper supply today at the gliderport and they were down to their last roll, so I loaned them one.>>>>

Since it was only a loan do you plan to take it back
when they are done with it?

markm...@gmail.com

Mar 31, 2020, 11:06:35 PM3/31/20

> Since it was only a loan do you plan to take it back
> when they are done with it?

Shouldn't be a problem. He only used one side. Wash your hands, and don't pick yer nose.

GliderCZ

Apr 1, 2020, 2:14:40 AM4/1/20
Yes, you ARE missing the point. Although you may not value them, public service, arts and culture do contribute to our civil life. The Kennedy Center is a national institution that employs craftspeople, maintenance workers, ushers and others who raise families, send their kids to college and pay taxes--just like most of us. Artists and musicians contribute intangible value to our lives. PBS likewise.

Perhaps they are just as deserving as the small-business commercial glider operations and suppliers who support our esoteric pursuits. I hope they all can benefit from the relief package.

Oh, and please do a fact check on congressional salary plus-ups. They're not in the package, although support for ongoing congressional support operations may be.

Sorry, but I've never made a political comment in this newsgroup, but I'm getting pretty discouraged by the tone and tenor of this conversation, especially when we're facing the loss of hundreds of thousand of innocent folk in this country and around the world.

Carl Czech (CZ)
San Diego

Bob Youngblood

Apr 1, 2020, 2:54:45 AM4/1/20
The bill included 25 million as operational expenses for the House Of Representatives.

gregg...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 11:19:25 AM4/1/20
If these things had value they wouldn't need public money.

Bob Youngblood

Apr 1, 2020, 4:00:09 PM4/1/20
On Sunday, March 29, 2020 at 11:21:32 AM UTC-4, uneekc...@gmail.com wrote:
> What clubs are still flying? I’d like to get a feel for what’s really happening out there in the “actual” not simulated soaring scene. Us at central alabama soaring are still in the air albit with limited and heavy precautionary activities. Just solo flying. I towed a few on friday and wanted to fly myself but we have the same age old non-viral related problem, lack of tow pilots.
>
> Costal soaring club down in the panhandle of FL flew yesterday with 8 flights so they are still doing things. Any other clubs in non-epidemic areas still flying?
> Dan

Looks like our great Governor , Ron Desantis, has pretty much shut down the state to all except essential businesses. Really puts a damper on flying gliders, guess I can bring one home and fly from the home strip.

uneekc...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 4:08:07 PM4/1/20
I define soaring as essential, and for us anyways its surely not much of a business lol

cyna...@gmail.com

Apr 1, 2020, 7:38:53 PM4/1/20
Bob

That's what we'd been doing here but our tow plane is down for an annual.

arche...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2020, 9:03:09 AM4/2/20

> If these things had value they wouldn't need public money.

Well, on that rationale I guess these institutions don't have much value either, like Wells Fargo, Citi, JPMorgan, (they or their subsidiary are in to the red to the Treasury). Not to mention everyone on the list that took loans, that is also "public money".

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list

gregg...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2020, 9:24:20 AM4/2/20
Those examples don't just lack value, they are a pox on the country.

arche...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2020, 10:01:30 AM4/2/20
I guess your portfolio didn't include any of the auto, financial, transportation etc. sectors in the last bailout and now doesn't include any benefactors of the $500 billion going to large corporations in the latest bash up. The point is we already live in a socialist society, that is acting with a very heavy hand to mostly protect the financial interests of the collective. When we're all ready to just roll the dice and forego that and all of the protections the big bad government supplies with the now regular bailouts, we can pick and choose the value of every institution based on a single person's value judgements, and get rid of the relative pittance allowed to the Kennedy Center.

gregg...@gmail.com

Apr 2, 2020, 10:35:20 AM4/2/20
Sorry dude, you and me are going to outlive fiat money for all.

kinsell

Apr 2, 2020, 12:19:28 PM4/2/20