glider pilot medicals

Andrew Wood

May 2, 2012, 12:32:30 AM5/2/12
re the letter in this months issue of Soaring regarding glider pilot
medicals: I think this letter confuses the medical requirements for
power planes, LSA and gliders. As I read the FARs (61.23, 61.53)
a US glider pilot does not need a FAA medical, or a drivers
license, to fly a glider, and I see no rule saying its not ok for a
glider pilot to have failed a FAA medical. I recall FAR 61.23 used
to say that for a LSA, one could not have failed a FAA medical, but
this seems to have disappeared from the latest version of 61.23.
Anyone know where that part of the rule went to?

Andrew Wood

May 2, 2012, 12:45:01 AM5/2/12

Andrew Wood

May 2, 2012, 12:34:40 AM5/2/12

Andrew Wood

May 2, 2012, 12:36:11 AM5/2/12

May 2, 2012, 1:33:15 PM5/2/12
Addressing LSA,
61.303(b)(3) cannot have failed a previous FAA Medical or had an SI
withdrawn ..
and 61.303(b)(4) does not know of have reason to know if you have a
medical issue ..

Private or higher Glider rating 61.53(b) Not known to have a
deficiency.. if you have failed a FAA Class medical, then you have
reason to know you have a deficiency.

After that it's up to the lawyers to interpret.

Mike the Strike

May 2, 2012, 3:01:15 PM5/2/12
Regardless of the specific wording of FAA rules, you cannot self-certify to be in good health for aviation purposes if you have failed a medical!

Mike

Tony

May 2, 2012, 3:27:33 PM5/2/12
On Wednesday, May 2, 2012 2:01:15 PM UTC-5, Mike the Strike wrote:
> Regardless of the specific wording of FAA rules, you cannot self-certify to be in good health for aviation purposes if you have failed a medical!
>
> Mike

what if the condition that caused you to fail the medical has been resolved?

Andrew Wood

May 2, 2012, 6:23:08 PM5/2/12
The FARs are clear that different medical rules apply to glider
pilots. A glider pilot indeed does not need to hold any medical
certificate, and the FARs do not require that he has not failed a
medical certificate. He is only required to be able to honestly
believe he is fit to fly on the specific day he wants to fly.

I'm not sure why the FAA made these rules. My guess is, as an
extreme example, an illness that will cause death in one or two
years would mean that a 3rd class FAA medical can't be obtained,
even though the pilot may still be perfectly ok to fly that day, and
for many months to come. The FARs are written to allow a glider
pilot to use that time to legally fly, on all days when he honestly
believes he is fit to fly. Like all pilots, holding a medical certificate
or not, glider pilots are expected to ground themselves on any
days when they are not fit to fly.

jherzog

May 2, 2012, 4:16:19 PM5/2/12
I'm not so sure this is always the case. Let's say a pilot fails an FAA
medical because his blood pressure was too high. He receives treatment,
including a blood pressure medication that is permitted by the FAA, and
his blood pressure is brought under control and well within the
standards set by the FAA.

Is that pilot now required to take and pass a subsequent FAA medical in
order to be able to self-certify that he is in good health for aviation
purposes? I don't see why a subsequent medical exam would be necessary
for glider operations.

Jordan

--
jherzog

thing73

May 11, 2012, 3:20:54 PM5/11/12
I am a senior AME and glider and power pilot. I can tell you with
certainty that as long as you are in good health when you fly, that
failing a FAA medical does not disqualify you for glider and/or
balloon flight.

Rich

Frank Whiteley

May 12, 2012, 1:01:47 AM5/12/12