Worst weather, ever...

Jay Honeck

Jan 11, 2005, 8:04:27 AM1/11/05
Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.

Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the pattern --
a new record for us. The weather has simply been appalling, with freezing
fog, snow and freezing rain. I've never seen anything quite like it for
such an extended period.

Friends (who bought our old plane) have had their Warrior stuck in Missouri
for a few weeks. They've tried retrieving it several times -- a 4 hour
drive each way -- to no avail. Every predicted window of good flying
weather has been elusive or non-existent, and the weather forecasters seem
to have gone from terrible to laughable.

And an IFR ticket doesn't help get a Spam Can off the ground in weather this
cruddy. Heck, even the King Airs and Citations are grounded. Our FBO
manager told me yesterday that he's only been able to fly a couple of
charters this month, due to conditions, and Unicom (which we play in the
hotel lobby) has been strangely, ominously silent since Christmas.

Even Cedar Rapids Approach is only talking to scheduled air carriers... And
now, after last night's ice storm, schools, roads -- and runways -- are all
closed.

One thing's for sure: Ain't no one flying in to see us at the inn. I'm
about ready to hibernate till April. This sucks!

Anyone else got the winter blues?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Larry Dighera

Jan 11, 2005, 8:11:18 AM1/11/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:04:27 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
<jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in <t9QEd.1024$OF5.332@attbi_s52>::

>Anyone else got the winter blues?

Santa Barbara coast received 7" of precipitation in two days. That is
a record last exceeded in 1927. In the last two weeks it has rained
almost daily, and at times the wind exceeded 50 knots. It finally
looks like better weather is in the forecast.

Chuck Gerlach

Jan 11, 2005, 8:26:30 AM1/11/05
North Central Illinois is no better. Blizzards, low ceilings, low
visibility, and freezing rain. It's been an interesting couple of weeks
since Christmas. The forecast is for several more days of rain and overcast
with temps in the 30's. Ugh! If I could have predicted this I would be
down in Punta Gorda installing my father's new computer. Instead I'm
sitting here hoping the forecasts are wrong. Somebody in some corner of the
country must be having good weather.

Chuck Gerlach

"Larry Dighera" <LDig...@att.net> wrote in message

Peter R.

Jan 11, 2005, 8:32:34 AM1/11/05
Jay Honeck (jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com) wrote:

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

In Central NY State we haven't seen the sun in about six weeks. Talk
about the blues...

E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7

:)

--
Peter

Larry Dighera

Jan 11, 2005, 8:37:37 AM1/11/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:26:30 GMT, "Chuck Gerlach" <gerl...@pobox.com>
wrote in <auQEd.4348$C52....@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>::

>Punta Gorda

It looks like they've been having record rainfall too:
http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/DisplayNORMS.asp?AirportCode=KFMY&SafeCityName=Punta_Gorda&StateCode=FL&Units=none&IATA=FMY

Jay Honeck

Jan 11, 2005, 8:45:09 AM1/11/05
> E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
>
> :)

Is this some sort of code? Or a pattern to be completed? (The next
sequence should be "F F8 F F8 B B8 B B8", IMHO...)

Inquiring minds...

Jay Honeck

Jan 11, 2005, 8:52:32 AM1/11/05
> North Central Illinois is no better. Blizzards, low ceilings, low
> visibility, and freezing rain. It's been an interesting couple of weeks
> since Christmas. The forecast is for several more days of rain and
> overcast with temps in the 30's. Ugh!

That's our forecast too -- followed by temperatures plummeting to well below
zero.

Right now, though, cold sounds pretty good. I'll happily take one of those
big ol' Canadian high pressure systems, one of those real hum-dingers,
with -20 degree temps but light winds and crystal clear blue skies.

Heck, I've got a good heater, and anything beats freezing fog and rain!

Jim Burns

Jan 11, 2005, 8:57:45 AM1/11/05
Here in Central Wisconsin, we've had to pick our days, altitudes, and
direction to fly carefully and we've always had to file IFR, but we've been
getting a little flying in. The soup hasn't been too thick lately, so we've
been able to climb up on top and visit the sunshine once in awhile.
Saturday we flew over to Green Bay to a Lancair Factory Demo. (Columbia 350
with full glass panel... all this can be yours for the low low price of
$425,000) STE was 2000 overcast, GRB was 12000 with high cirrus and
sunshine. This weekend it's supposed to be -18F for lows and -2 for highs.
Jim

Peter R.

Jan 11, 2005, 8:56:13 AM1/11/05
Jay Honeck (jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com) wrote:

> > E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
> >
> > :)
>
> Is this some sort of code? Or a pattern to be completed? (The next
> sequence should be "F F8 F F8 B B8 B B8", IMHO...)
>
> Inquiring minds...

Very basic blues guitar chord progression.

--
Peter

Trent Moorehead

Jan 11, 2005, 8:57:26 AM1/11/05

"Chuck Gerlach" <gerl...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> Somebody in some corner of the
> country must be having good weather.

Well, since you're wondering, we're have had great weather for the past 2.5
weeks here in central NC. It snowed 2 inches the day after Christmas, so we
got to sled a bit and then the temperature started going up. It reached the
low 80's last week. Kinda weird really. It's been between 60 and 70 for
highs for several days and it is forcast to be this way all this week. I
flew on Sunday and it was absolutely gorgeous.

Now, before you shoot me, the forecast calls for our area to be plunged into
winter next week. Temps won't get out of the 20's apparently for a few days
in a row. It stands to reason, since our average high is around 50 this time
of year. So for every 80, there's a gonna be a 20 sometime soon!

I hope the weather in IA gets better soon. I may be travelling there for
business in the next month.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Larry Dighera

Jan 11, 2005, 8:57:27 AM1/11/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:45:09 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
<jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in <FLQEd.1038$EG1.650@attbi_s53>::

>> E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
>>
>> :)
>
>Is this some sort of code? Or a pattern to be completed? (The next
>sequence should be "F F8 F F8 B B8 B B8", IMHO...)
>
>Inquiring minds...

IINM, they're musical chord changes.

Jay Honeck

Jan 11, 2005, 8:57:26 AM1/11/05
> STE was 2000 overcast

2000 overcast! Man, I'd KILL to see anything that good.

Well, the ceiling may actually have risen above that for a time -- during
the ice storm...

:-(

I'll bet the flying's been good up north of this stationary front...

Bob Moore

Jan 11, 2005, 8:54:51 AM1/11/05
"Jay Honeck" wrote

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

Yep! Here in the Tampabay area, it's been 75-80 degrees
every day this year. Not a single drop of precipitation
so far....kinda boring. Haven't worn long pants yet this
year. See you in April, Jay. :-)

Bob Moore

Gary Drescher

Jan 11, 2005, 9:02:08 AM1/11/05
It's a beautiful clear day in Boston today. The forecast for Thursday sez
clouds and upper 50s; could be nice for practicing some actual instrument
approaches.

--Gary

rdu...@compuserve.com

Jan 11, 2005, 9:03:44 AM1/11/05
Jay,

This is one of those winters where we might consider that maybe the
barnstormers were right. The ones up north knew that if they went
south there would be a glut on the market, prices would go through the
floor and everyone would starve. So, come mid-November, they'd line up
a shed, put the airplane up on blocks, drain the oil, rent a cheap
hotel room with a window that faced a brick wall, line up a hooker and
bootlegger and hibernate.
Leave a call for April, Jay.

Warmest regards,
Rick

Trent Moorehead

Jan 11, 2005, 9:10:10 AM1/11/05

"Trent Moorehead" <twmoorehe...@netzero.net> wrote in message

> It reached the
> low 80's last week.

I'm sorry, it didn't reach the low 80's. It was more like 75 F. Felt like 80
though. I actually started sweating a little walking to my Jeep at
lunchtime.

-Trent
PP-ASEL

Jim Burns

Jan 11, 2005, 9:34:21 AM1/11/05

> I'll bet the flying's been good up north of this stationary front...

Yep, it actually has. All of our "outs" or nearest VFR conditions have been
towards the north the past couple days.

Jim

km...@flowserve.com

Jan 11, 2005, 9:39:24 AM1/11/05
Hi Jay,

It can be worse, much worse.
The weather overhere is great for flying.
We have a recordbreaking winter so far, normally something like -5C now
a nice +10C for three weeks with clear skies.
But I'm not flying, I'm waiting for a bracket for two months now.
And that really s*cks.

-Kees
Roosendaal, Netherlands

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 9:48:48 AM1/11/05
Here is our forcast for today in Indianapolis... A carbon copy of the
last few weeks. I feel your pain Jay because it is the same as mine!! :-)

KIND 111347Z 111412 13007KT 2SM -SHRA BR SCT005 OVC012, TEMPO 1416 1/2SM
-RA FG OVC005, FM1700 14006KT 2SM -SHRA BR OVC004, FM1900 21008KT 4SM
-SHRA BR OVC007, FM0000 12006KT 4SM BR OVC007, TEMPO 0004 1/2SM -RA FG,
FM0400 16007KT 1/2SM -RA FG OVC020, TEMPO 0408 OVC007, FM0800 19012KT
2SM -RA BR OVC020, TEMPO 0812 OVC003

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Jay Masino

Jan 11, 2005, 10:06:25 AM1/11/05
Jay Honeck <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote:
> Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
> crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.
> Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the pattern --

See!?! This is what you get for complaining about the weather forcasters
a few weeks ago. You upset the weather gods!

--- Jay

--
__!__
Jay and Teresa Masino ___(_)___

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 10:11:32 AM1/11/05

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message

> Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
> crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.
>
> Not this year.

You can blame that cold outbreak down the west coast with the unusual snows
in coastal British Columbia and rains down the west coast through
California. That set up the major front and storm track in a more-or-less
straight line from southern California through Maine. Little weak pulses
are running along that front and keep triggering more precipitation.

And the warm air aloft is creating a huge inversion, trapping the low level
moisture forever. North Platte, 0000Z last evening, had a temperature of
plus 10 Celsius at 5000 feet ASL more or less, and minus 6 at the surface.
And they are what, 2700 feet?? So that's like 15 degrees inversion in 2500
feet?? Serious trap for low-level moisture, the dispersion of which is very
difficult to forecast accurately, until there is a major circulation change.

http://twister.sbs.ohio-state.edu/upperair/skewt/lbf.gif (link
evaporates-updates with time)

I expect Iowa would have been similar.

So now the computers expect the next pulse to be a major low, that will
finally draw the cold air down over the entire interior of the continent and
change the storm track completely. By the weekend, things should be back to
the more-or-less normal condition of mild west coast, pushing mild air
inland over the mountains, cold interior all the way down to Texas and the
Gulf, and the storm track up the east coast.

It remains to be seen whether that will persist for a while.

IMHO.

Dean Wilkinson

Jan 11, 2005, 10:40:44 AM1/11/05
Jay,

Watch out for those giant polar hurricanes that bring incredibly cold air
down from the upper atmosphere in their eye and freeze you instantly in your
tracks... or don't you believe in Hollywood physics? :)

Dean

http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/airplan/index.htm

jga...@hotmail.com

Jan 11, 2005, 11:48:10 AM1/11/05

Jay Honeck wrote:

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

I've actually been finding a few windows in the weather for local
flights(central AZ), but I'm doing nothing but puttering around and
drying out the airframe between storms.

Don't hold your breath for the good weather. The next wave is just
hitting the mountain states and you'll be seeing it soon. This one is
coming from a very slow moving low that's currently on the NV/UT
border. It took 4 days for it to move from the coast to where it is
now (which is why CA had so many problems). It's sucking up large
amounts of tropical moisture from the Pacific and the Gulf of
California.

The flying weather sucks, but it sure is helping out with the drought
conditions in the western states. The Salt River that flows through
Phoenix is running for the first time in 7 years.
John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Jose

Jan 11, 2005, 12:42:12 PM1/11/05
>>E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
> Is this some sort of code?

It's a blues chord progression.

And the next in the sequence is
D D6 D D6 -Z -Z6 -Z -Z6 :)

Jose
--
Money: What you need when you run out of brains.

RST Engineering

Jan 11, 2005, 12:52:54 PM1/11/05
It started snowing last night after four straight days of rain and has been
coming down about an inch an hour for 12 hours. It isn't supposed to let up
until late this afternoon, but then we are supposed to get a week of
temperatures in the 50s.

Jim

Peter R.

Jan 11, 2005, 1:04:17 PM1/11/05
Jose (teac...@aol.nojunk.com) wrote:

> >>E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
> > Is this some sort of code?
>
> It's a blues chord progression.
>
> And the next in the sequence is
> D D6 D D6 -Z -Z6 -Z -Z6 :)

Perhaps it was too "specialized" of a joke, but I felt like breaking out
in song during the original post.

--
Peter

Paul kgyy

Jan 11, 2005, 1:18:49 PM1/11/05

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

Winter blues big time. I schedule my annual for January because it's a
good time to have the plane down but I haven't been able to find a half
hour window to fly the airplane to the shop at DuPage. Bad forecasting
hasn't helped - could have gone a couple of times when ceiling was 2500
instead of the forecast 1000 but insufficient time to get out the
airport, preflight, etc. I've got my rating but ice everywhere.

Rob

Jan 11, 2005, 1:22:33 PM1/11/05

Is it really the "Worst weather, ever" or is this just more "Bogus
Weather Hype"?

:)

-R

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 1:17:32 PM1/11/05
I got the joke!! he he

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

jga...@hotmail.com

Jan 11, 2005, 1:52:14 PM1/11/05
It's all over if Jay posts a picture of himself measuring a snowdrift
with a ruler.

John Galban=====>N4BQ (PA28-180)

Matt Barrow

Jan 11, 2005, 1:57:16 PM1/11/05

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message
> Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
> crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.
>
> Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the
pattern --
> a new record for us. The weather has simply been appalling, with
freezing
> fog, snow and freezing rain. I've never seen anything quite like it for
> such an extended period.

It's Global Cooling/Warming.

Matt
---------------------
Matthew W. Barrow
Site-Fill Homes, LLC.
Montrose, CO

Message has been deleted

Matt Barrow

Jan 11, 2005, 2:34:05 PM1/11/05

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message
> Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
> crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.
>
> Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the
pattern --
> a new record for us. The weather has simply been appalling, with
freezing
> fog, snow and freezing rain. I've never seen anything quite like it for
> such an extended period.

Likewise here in Western Colorado. Snow and freezing rain ad nauseum. That
kind of weather is not unique, but it is rare for it to be every damn day
for weeks at a time.

The ski areas should be loving it, but it's not the usual powdery stuff.

Matt Barrow

Jan 11, 2005, 2:37:45 PM1/11/05

"Nomen Nescio" <Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]> wrote in message

> From: Peter R. <prgr...@twcny.rrX.com>
>
> >E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
>
> Well.......The ceiling's so low.....got my head in the clouds...
> And the run-way's are icy......tax-i-ways ain't been plowed...
> Cockpit door's froze up, too....
> Got them R.A.P blues
>
> Been three weeks without flyin'.......skills are startin' to rust...
> Hoped to go up to-mor-row......but the wea-ther's a "bust"....
> So my plane sits un-used....
> Got them R.A.P blues

<Smattering of applause>

Jack Allison

Jan 11, 2005, 2:47:59 PM1/11/05
Yep, it's been pretty crummy out here as well...though being here in the
Sacramento valley, I don't have to worry about the snow that Jim W.
reported. I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any instrument
lesson scheduled for the last week and a half. For once, good timing.

Freezing fog...that just sounds nasty. We get our share of fog out here
but at least it's of the non-frozen variety. Visibility often sucks bad
enough to keep you grounded though.

Let us know when you come out of hibernation Jay :-) And, keep in mind
that most of my flying is that boring instrument rating stuff where the
view outside is highly over rated.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL, IA Student, airplane partnership student

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Jay Beckman

Jan 11, 2005, 3:09:58 PM1/11/05
"Rob" <sdl_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I'm sure there's some hype involved, but here in Phoenix, they're talking
about weather-related issues not seen since 1996-1997 so I guess there is
some historical (as opposed to hysterical) significance to our current
rainfall (south) and snowfall (north) totals.

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

jsmith

Jan 11, 2005, 3:21:28 PM1/11/05
Hey guys! It's an El Nino year!

G.R. Patterson III

Jan 11, 2005, 3:29:43 PM1/11/05

Jay Honeck wrote:

> Every predicted window of good flying
> weather has been elusive or non-existent, and the weather forecasters seem
> to have gone from terrible to laughable.

The forecasts here have gotten pretty inaccurate too, but at least there's been
a day or two of good weather every week or so. You just can't tell when it's
going to be. Last Wednesday, the forecast for the weekend was for good weather.
On Thursday, they changed their minds about Saturday. As it turned out, Saturday
was IMC and Sunday (which was supposed to be pretty) was gray with one or two
light showers.

On Sunday, the forecast for today was for sun and temps in the 40s. Yesterday
they changed the forecast to rain & snow. We've actually got a gray day with the
temps in the 30s and getting colder.

Thursday and Friday are forecast to be mostly cloudy with highs of 66 and 42
respectively. Saturday is supposed to be sunny with a high of 29. We'll see.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

Steven Barnes

Jan 11, 2005, 3:30:56 PM1/11/05
KSPI's TAF this morning was nothing but a bunch of OVC001. Bah.

At the moment...
KSPI 111954Z 02005KT 2SM -RA BR OVC003 03/02 A2984 RMK AO2 RAE1857B31

It's been bad enough that my Cherokee partner can't even get any IFR
training! Double bah.

"Jon Kraus" <jkr...@indy.rr.com> wrote in message

Peter R.

Jan 11, 2005, 3:33:53 PM1/11/05
Nomen Nescio (Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1]) wrote:

> From: Peter R. <prgr...@twcny.rrX.com>
>
> >E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
>
> Well.......The ceiling's so low.....got my head in the clouds...
> And the run-way's are icy......tax-i-ways ain't been plowed...
> Cockpit door's froze up, too....
> Got them R.A.P blues
>
> Been three weeks without flyin'.......skills are startin' to rust...
> Hoped to go up to-mor-row......but the wea-ther's a "bust"....
> So my plane sits un-used....
> Got them R.A.P blues

Not bad, not bad...

--
Peter

G.R. Patterson III

Jan 11, 2005, 3:50:36 PM1/11/05

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

> On Sunday, the forecast for today was for sun and temps in the 40s. Yesterday
> they changed the forecast to rain & snow. We've actually got a gray day with the
> temps in the 30s and getting colder.

Oh. Now it's starting to snow, so they can still do a decent job 24 hours in
advance sometimes.

Jay Beckman

Jan 11, 2005, 3:53:37 PM1/11/05
"jsmith" <jsm...@net.net> wrote in message news:41E436B4...@net.net...

> Hey guys! It's an El Nino year!

Thought winter time was a La Nina...or is that a northern/southern
hemisphere thing?

Jay B

john szpara

Jan 11, 2005, 3:56:05 PM1/11/05
<jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote:

>Anyone else got the winter blues?

Yup, I'm VFR only, and the weather here in Northern California has
been constant rain for over 2 weeks. In the mountains, they've gotten
over 20 feet of snow.

I spend the week after Christmas at my sister in law's house in
Truckee. We got over 6 feet of snow when we were there. Reno doesn't
normally get much snow, but they got clobbered. We were supposed to
spend New Year's Eve downtown, but got stuck in a FIVE HOUR traffic
jam, and had to turn back at Verdi (10 miles west of Reno). So much
for New Year's.

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT

john szpara

Jan 11, 2005, 5:10:59 PM1/11/05
Message has been deleted

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 5:22:55 PM1/11/05
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT

Never heard of those airplanes.... :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 N4443H

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 5:25:07 PM1/11/05
<clapping> <thinking> Now where did I put that lighter...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43H

Message has been deleted

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 5:26:16 PM1/11/05
My Mooney partner didn't get to go up today either... I did go out to
the airport today just to make sure my girl didn't need anything!! :-)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Student Mooney Owner

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 5:55:27 PM1/11/05

"Jon Kraus" <jkr...@indy.rr.com> wrote in message
> Here is our forcast for today in Indianapolis... A carbon copy of the last
> few weeks. I feel your pain Jay because it is the same as mine!! :-)
>
> KIND 111347Z 111412 13007KT 2SM -SHRA BR SCT005 OVC012, TEMPO 1416
> 1/2SM -RA FG OVC005, FM1700 14006KT 2SM -SHRA BR OVC004, FM1900 21008KT
> 4SM -SHRA BR OVC007, FM0000 12006KT 4SM BR OVC007, TEMPO 0004 1/2SM -RA
> FG, FM0400 16007KT 1/2SM -RA FG OVC020, TEMPO 0408 OVC007, FM0800 19012KT
> 2SM -RA BR OVC020, TEMPO 0812 OVC003

You and Jay will both be flying VFR on Friday, and probably through the
weekend.

IMHO

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 6:01:39 PM1/11/05

"jsmith" <jsm...@net.net> wrote in message news:41E436B4...@net.net...
> Hey guys! It's an El Nino year!

Last NOAA said anything about it was in September as being a "weak" El Nino
event predicted through "early 2005"... No press releases since... so it
doesn't seem like it is much of an event, if there is one.

Morgans

Jan 11, 2005, 6:02:26 PM1/11/05

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

> --
> Jay

Are you kidding? It got to a high of about 63 today. Downright cold. Last
couple weeks has been even nicer, at times. It was 75 and sunny, a couple
days ago.

We got a trace of rain last week. I can't remember any measurable rain
since before Christmas. It has gotten real cold at night. I think it was
about 30 a couple times.

It was cold before Christmas, but the ski resorts are the only ones
complaining, now.

Don't you hate me now? <g>
--
Jim in NC

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 6:08:24 PM1/11/05

"Icebound" <ice_bound@rogers.!!!EXTRACT!!!.com> wrote in message

I take that back. I found their latest El Nino discussion:
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/

It says the West coast Precipitation is NOT consistent with an El Nino
Event, although a weak event does exist and is expected to continue at least
3 more months.

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 6:10:46 PM1/11/05

"Jay Beckman" <jnsbe...@cox.net> wrote in message

El Nina just means that the Equatorial pacific ocean is COLDER than normal,
and El Nino means that it is WARMER. The time of year has nothing to do
with it.

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 6:07:42 PM1/11/05
Good... I got a hundred dollar hamburger to eat in Matoon IL on Saturday...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 6:14:57 PM1/11/05

> Good... I got a hundred dollar hamburger to eat in Matoon IL on
> Saturday...

You might have to get the heaters fired up, though :-)

Larry Dighera

Jan 11, 2005, 6:20:09 PM1/11/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 20:21:28 GMT, jsmith <jsm...@net.net> wrote in
<41E436B4...@net.net>::

>Hey guys! It's an El Nino year!

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/enso_advisory/index.html

EL NIÑO/SOUTHERN OSCILLATION (ENSO)
DIAGNOSTIC DISCUSSION
issued by CLIMATE PREDICTION CENTER/NCEP
January 6, 2005

Synopsis: Weak warm-episode (El Niño) conditions are expected to
continue for the next three months.

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 6:26:15 PM1/11/05
Yea I know... A high in the teens.... Once it gets going the old Mooney
heats up pretty nice... Thanks!!

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney Triple43Hotel

Icebound

Jan 11, 2005, 6:56:32 PM1/11/05

"Morgans" <jsmo...@chJUarNKer.net> wrote in message

> "Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote
>
>> Anyone else got the winter blues?
>> --
>> Jay
>
> Are you kidding? It got to a high of about 63 today. Downright cold.
> Last
> couple weeks has been even nicer, at times. It was 75 and sunny, a couple
> days ago.

> Don't you hate me now? <g>
> --

You get yours on Thursday :-)

Get all your flying in, tomorrow.

Jack Allison

Jan 11, 2005, 6:50:34 PM1/11/05
Jon Kraus wrote:

> My Mooney partner didn't get to go up today either... I did go out to
> the airport today just to make sure my girl didn't need anything!! :-)

How come I can envision myself doing the same thing once I'm an owner?
Is it some sort of hopelessly incurable disease or something? No, wait,
I already know the answer to that one...probably something like going to
Oshkosh once then realizing you're stuck doing it the rest of your life
but for some strange reason, you really don't care and can 100% justify
the expense involved. :-)

At least it's looking like I'll get to go out for a couple more IA
lessons Thursday and Saturday. Whoo hoo, more hood time! Yes, I love
to look at the panel and work on my scan...all the while trying to hold
heading and altitude. It's fun...in a twisted sort of way.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 7:01:16 PM1/11/05
Jack,
You know it does become an obsession... I didn't start off to go to the
airport I just ended up there... How is your airplane search going?

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Morgans

Jan 11, 2005, 7:16:44 PM1/11/05

"Icebound" <ice_bound@rogers.!!!EXTRACT!!!.com> wrote

> You get yours on Thursday :-)
>
> Get all your flying in, tomorrow.

Ssssshhh! I wasn't going to mention that, in the hope that it wouldn't come
to pass!

Really, all of this nice, blue sky is getting rather boring. I would like
to see a cloud, or two.<g>

When (not if) it comes, the thing that everyone can count on, is that it
will be around for a while. *That* is the trend for this year.
--
Jim in NC

Steven Barnes

Jan 11, 2005, 7:14:57 PM1/11/05
Have a giant elephant ear for me! Their bacon burgers are good too.

Colin W Kingsbury

Jan 11, 2005, 7:21:28 PM1/11/05

Ditto, hasn't been too bad in Beantown lately. Coupla storms but they've
come, done their business, and moved along. Not like last year, when the
winter seemed to go on into late June. I remember reading that some big
highs were stalled over Greenland and forming a wall trapping all the slop
on the East coast.

Thursday, huh? If that's the case you might hear me out there too, sniffing
for some actual in and out of BED, LWM, and BVY. Say "hi" if you hear a
Skyhawk 55D on the freq.

-cwk.

"Gary Drescher" <GLDre...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's a beautiful clear day in Boston today. The forecast for Thursday sez
> clouds and upper 50s; could be nice for practicing some actual instrument
> approaches.
>
> --Gary

Gary Drescher

Jan 11, 2005, 7:43:53 PM1/11/05
"Colin W Kingsbury" <cwkin...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> Ditto, hasn't been too bad in Beantown lately. Coupla storms but they've
> come, done their business, and moved along. Not like last year, when the
> winter seemed to go on into late June. I remember reading that some big
> highs were stalled over Greenland and forming a wall trapping all the slop
> on the East coast.
>
> Thursday, huh? If that's the case you might hear me out there too,
> sniffing
> for some actual in and out of BED, LWM, and BVY. Say "hi" if you hear a
> Skyhawk 55D on the freq.

Will do. Dunno yet what my tail sign will be.

--Gary

Bob Noel

Jan 11, 2005, 7:56:32 PM1/11/05
In article <c4_Ed.4076$KJ2....@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net>,

now, if I could only get rid of this )(*$@#$@ cold!

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like

Jon Kraus

Jan 11, 2005, 7:59:59 PM1/11/05
Bacon Burger it is then... Yummm

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Dave

Jan 11, 2005, 10:07:24 PM1/11/05
Got one here tonight Jay!

Cold, -15C, no wind, can see every star in the sky.

(New Brunswick , Canada... (East Coast) )

I have been up nights like this... 10K and You can see for
freaking miles.

And at -15C our little Cessna 172 goes up like a homesick
angel (well. relative speaking of course)

Did get 1200 fpm one night with 1/2 tanks & little 'ole
me.....

Dave

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 13:52:32 GMT, "Jay Honeck"
<jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote:

>> North Central Illinois is no better. Blizzards, low ceilings, low
>> visibility, and freezing rain. It's been an interesting couple of weeks
>> since Christmas. The forecast is for several more days of rain and
>> overcast with temps in the 30's. Ugh!
>
>That's our forecast too -- followed by temperatures plummeting to well below
>zero.
>
>Right now, though, cold sounds pretty good. I'll happily take one of those
>big ol' Canadian high pressure systems, one of those real hum-dingers,
>with -20 degree temps but light winds and crystal clear blue skies.
>
>Heck, I've got a good heater, and anything beats freezing fog and rain!

Dave

Jan 11, 2005, 10:09:52 PM1/11/05
Go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm in the right tunes... :)

Think "music chords" Jay!

D.

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 08:32:34 -0500, Peter R. <prgr...@twcny.rrX.com>
wrote:

>Jay Honeck (jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com) wrote:
>
>> Anyone else got the winter blues?
>

>In Central NY State we haven't seen the sun in about six weeks. Talk
>about the blues...
>
>E E7 E E7 A A7 A A7
>
>:)

mindenpilot

Jan 11, 2005, 11:14:31 PM1/11/05
Boy, you know how to start a thread ;-)

It's been pretty crappy here in Minden, NV, too.
Lots of snow and cold weather.
I'm hoping to get airborn this week, though.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Sam O'Nella

Jan 11, 2005, 11:57:31 PM1/11/05
>> Somebody in some corner of the
>> country must be having good weather.
>
> Well, since you're wondering, we're have had great weather for the
> past 2.5 weeks here in central NC.

We're not too far away:

http://usairnet.com/cgi-bin/launch/code.cgi?sta=KRIC&model=avn&state=VA&Submit=Get+Forecast

I am LOVING 70 degree January weather!

It's about time too. We usually get the crappy weather around here.

Jack Allison

Jan 12, 2005, 1:05:37 AM1/12/05
Jon Kraus wrote:
> Jack,
> You know it does become an obsession... I didn't start off to go to the
> airport I just ended up there... How is your airplane search going?

The airplane search has taken a few new twists and turns in the past
couple of weeks. Of the potential partnerships I've been talking to
folks about, one in particular is picking up some steam and just took an
interesting twist. Last weekend, a prospective partner and I talked
about looking at a local '67 Cherokee that had come on the market. From
the pictures and info. on TAP, it looked pretty good and was worth
taking a look. Well...now, this may have morphed into a 3-way
partnership on a fantastic looking '67 Arrow (for roughly the same
per-partner acquisition cost as the 2-way Cherokee deal). Still need to
go look at the plane, meet the third partner, understand/crunch the
numbers a bit more. The Arrow is also local and we'll probably get a
chance to check it out this weekend. I tell ya Jon, I'm ready. I'm
tired of paying approx. $90/hr. for the Archer plus gas.

I'm still interested in Cardinals but, at this point, I think I'd be
happy with something like the Cherokee or even a nicer C-172. Even if
it's something simple for 3-5 years then moving up, that would be fine.
Low wing/high wing...really doesn't matter at this point, I just
want some wings of my own.

So...stay tuned. As soon as something solidifies, I'll be sure to post
something over on r.a.o

Jack Allison

Jan 12, 2005, 1:07:05 AM1/12/05
Jon, Jon

Is Is it it me me or or are are your your posts posts showing showing up
up twice twice ? ?

:-) :-)

Jay Beckman

Jan 12, 2005, 1:31:25 AM1/12/05
"Jack Allison" <k2_boa...@RemoveTh1s.earthlink.net> wrote in message

Wow,

In testament to the human brain's ability to take in information: I had to
actually read this TWICE to realize each word is doubled.

I need an aspirin...

Jay B

Dylan Smith

Jan 12, 2005, 7:05:06 AM1/12/05
In article <t9QEd.1024$OF5.332@attbi_s52>, Jay Honeck wrote:
> Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the pattern --
> a new record for us. The weather has simply been appalling, with freezing
> fog, snow and freezing rain. I've never seen anything quite like it for
> such an extended period.

Well, we've been having weather typical to the winter in the north Irish
Sea. Strong winds (gusting to 60 knots last night), lots of rain, low
clouds, added to that the sun doesn't rise until about 08:30 and sets at
about 16:15.

Today we have this unusual bright yellow thing in the sky, but the wind
is still gusting to 50 knots. Then again, northern Scotland got it much
worse last night - wind speeds of over 100 knots and all shipping areas
north of North Irish Sea have been getting forecasts of 'Severe Gale 11'
and worse. The BBC reports that a Portugese fishing trawler with 19 crew
is adrift in the resultant mountainous seas. The RAF found them with a
search and rescue Nimrod. I bet that was a rough flight!

Lack of winter GA flying is just a fact of life here.
--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 8:12:48 AM1/12/05
> My Mooney partner didn't get to go up today either... I did go out to
> the airport today just to make sure my girl didn't need anything!! :-)

I shoveled our hangar out after the last snowstorm -- all for nothing.

Argh. I *need* to get airborne, and soon.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 8:14:49 AM1/12/05
> You and Jay will both be flying VFR on Friday, and probably through the
> weekend.

Sadly, my "weekend" is Wednesday/Thursday...

:-(

Jon Kraus

Jan 12, 2005, 8:49:38 AM1/12/05
It looks like it is YOU YOU... I THINK THINK

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Sam O'Nella

Jan 12, 2005, 9:02:51 AM1/12/05
Jon Kraus wrote:
> It looks like it is YOU YOU... I THINK THINK

It's me too. Perhaps the server is duplicating messages or you need to back
away from the coffee ;)

Jon Kraus

Jan 12, 2005, 9:04:23 AM1/12/05
Go fly the Arrow and then tell me how much you like it. You probably
would never go back to wanting a 172. Not that there is anything wrong
with a 172 mind you, they are great planes but you know what I mean. I
wouldn't be adverse to a 3 way partnership but that would be the most I
would personally do. Remember what they say... Keep 5-10% of the
purchase price put back for the first years "suprise" expenses. Pay
extra and have the avionics stack checked out (including the ELT) by a
qualified avionics shop. It shouldn't cost too much and it would be
worth it. Our Garmin 430 had a bad comm1 board that cost us $700.00 to
get repaired. Our ELT had to be sent back to the factory to diagnose a
signal problem. I have a lsit of other things I can share with you if
you get to the point of pre-buying the Arrow. Why let my mistakes go to
waste right? :-) Good Luck Good Luck (just kidding your not seeing double)

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 9:09:49 AM1/12/05
> Watch out for those giant polar hurricanes that bring incredibly cold air
> down from the upper atmosphere in their eye and freeze you instantly in
> your
> tracks... or don't you believe in Hollywood physics? :)

ROTFL!

I saw that stupid movie with my 14 year old son, who though it was great.

I, of course, kept laughing out loud at inappropriate times... I really
liked it when the helicopter pilots froze to death more or less instantly.

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 9:11:28 AM1/12/05
> Perhaps it was too "specialized" of a joke, but I felt like breaking out
> in song during the original post.

It's been 35 years since I took guitar lessons. Guess the lessons didn't
stick with me too well!

:-)

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 9:14:37 AM1/12/05
> It's all over if Jay posts a picture of himself measuring a snowdrift
> with a ruler.

Actually, most Iowans I know (including me) would vastly prefer snow to the
crap we've been getting.

There's just not much you can do with freezing rain and sleet.

(Although, incredibly, our schools are OPEN today! All the school districts
around us are closed -- again -- but the "powers that be" in Iowa City
must've finally felt the pressure from parents to stop canceling school
while the rest of us kept going about our business as usual.)

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 9:16:39 AM1/12/05
> Well.......The ceiling's so low.....got my head in the clouds...
> And the run-way's are icy......tax-i-ways ain't been plowed...
> Cockpit door's froze up, too....
> Got them R.A.P blues
>
> Been three weeks without flyin'.......skills are startin' to rust...
> Hoped to go up to-mor-row......but the wea-ther's a "bust"....
> So my plane sits un-used....
> Got them R.A.P blues

If you make it to the Oshkosh R.A. party in July, we will all take up a
collection to hear you sing that "live".

Or, perhaps, to make you STOP singing that, depending on the mood, and how
much beer has been consumed...

;-)

Peter R.

Jan 12, 2005, 9:18:55 AM1/12/05
Jon Kraus (jkr...@indy.rr.com) wrote:

> It looks like it is YOU YOU... I THINK THINK

No, no, it isn't just him!

--
Peter

C J Campbell

Jan 12, 2005, 10:13:04 AM1/12/05

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

I am only losing three out of four scheduled flights to 1500 foot ceilings
and 2000 foot freezing levels. Maybe they should just put out a permanent
AIRMET for "moderate icing, mixed rime and clear, surface to 14,000 feet, in
a radius of 500 miles from Tacoma Narrows Airport."

clyde woempner

Jan 12, 2005, 11:17:47 AM1/12/05
Don't feel bad, we have been getting our tails kicked around here in
California also. But if you really want a thrill, drive through LA on a
Friday afternoon with lots of rain, that's when you will wish you were up
there (flying), instead of down here (driving).
Clyde

"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message

> Usually winter is my favorite time of year to fly. The air is cold and
> crisp, the visibility is CAVU, and the landscape has its own stark beauty.

> Not this year. Mary and I have not flown in weeks -- not even the
pattern --
> a new record for us. The weather has simply been appalling, with
freezing
> fog, snow and freezing rain. I've never seen anything quite like it for
> such an extended period.
>

> Friends (who bought our old plane) have had their Warrior stuck in
Missouri
> for a few weeks. They've tried retrieving it several times -- a 4 hour
> drive each way -- to no avail. Every predicted window of good flying
> weather has been elusive or non-existent, and the weather forecasters seem
> to have gone from terrible to laughable.
>
> And an IFR ticket doesn't help get a Spam Can off the ground in weather
this
> cruddy. Heck, even the King Airs and Citations are grounded. Our FBO
> manager told me yesterday that he's only been able to fly a couple of
> charters this month, due to conditions, and Unicom (which we play in the
> hotel lobby) has been strangely, ominously silent since Christmas.
>
> Even Cedar Rapids Approach is only talking to scheduled air carriers...
And
> now, after last night's ice storm, schools, roads -- and runways -- are
all
> closed.
>
> One thing's for sure: Ain't no one flying in to see us at the inn. I'm
> about ready to hibernate till April. This sucks!

> Anyone else got the winter blues?

Jon Kraus

Jan 12, 2005, 11:19:56 AM1/12/05
Sometimes if I fat finger something and I catch it after it gets posted
I go back and do a "Edit as New" to the post and then delete the old
one. My newsgroup viewer (Netscape) doesn't show the deleted one but
maybe others do... Since I fat finger a lot it probably looks like a lot
of double postings... I'l try to be more careful...

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
'79 Mooney 201 Triple43Hotel

Dean Wilkinson

Jan 12, 2005, 11:32:34 AM1/12/05
"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message
Yeah, I did the same thing... you'd think that the guy had been dipped in
liquid Nitrogen or something! Obviously the Hollywood screenwriters never
heard of adiabatic heating of gas as it compresses (aka Chinook wind). Even
if you could find -200F air in the upper atmosphere, by the time it made it
to sea level it would be above freezing. Of course, the movie wouldn't be
as exciting if they couldn't make this stuff up...

Dean

Jim Fisher

Jan 12, 2005, 1:49:38 PM1/12/05
"Jay Honeck" <jjho...@NOSPAMmchsi.com> wrote in message
Anyone else got the winter blues?

It's been cloudy and very warm here in 'Bama. 72 degrees out there right
now. IN THE MIDDLE IF JANUARY!

I miss the cold. So perhaps you should consider yourself lucky, Jay. It
could be 72 degrees up there, ya know.

--
Jim Fisher

john szpara

Jan 12, 2005, 2:22:40 PM1/12/05
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 22:22:55 GMT, Jon Kraus <jkr...@indy.rr.com>
wrote:

>Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT
>
>Never heard of those airplanes.... :-)

Those are my "ground flyers".

John Szpara
Affordable Satellite
Fiero Owner 2-84 Indy Pace cars, 86 Coupe, 88 Formula 3.4, 88 Coupe, 88GT

john szpara

Jan 12, 2005, 2:25:38 PM1/12/05
On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:17:47 -0800, "clyde woempner"
<n19...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

>Don't feel bad, we have been getting our tails kicked around here in
>California also. But if you really want a thrill, drive through LA on a
>Friday afternoon with lots of rain, that's when you will wish you were up
>there (flying), instead of down here (driving).
>Clyde

I think I'd rather try to fly a Cessna 150 through the freezing level
in IMC than try to drive across LA in traffic, especially if it's
*raining*. Yuck.

Jack Allison

Jan 12, 2005, 2:47:37 PM1/12/05
Jay Beckman wrote:

> I need an aspirin...

Roger Roger (to quote from the droids in Star Wars, episode I) :-)

Jay Honeck

Jan 12, 2005, 2:56:31 PM1/12/05
> I miss the cold. So perhaps you should consider yourself lucky, Jay. It
> could be 72 degrees up there, ya know.

You really, really suck, Jim.

;-0

Jack Allison

Jan 12, 2005, 2:55:04 PM1/12/05
Jon Kraus wrote:

> Sometimes if I fat finger something and I catch it after it gets posted
> I go back and do a "Edit as New" to the post and then delete the old
> one. My newsgroup viewer (Netscape) doesn't show the deleted one but
> maybe others do... Since I fat finger a lot it probably looks like a lot
> of double postings... I'l try to be more careful...

Hmmm, interesting Jon. I'm using Mozilla as my news reader (IMHO, way
better than Outlook express that I've previously used) and what I
sometimes see in my tree-view of posts is two identical posts from you.
As I go back and look at this thread now though, I don't see them.
Strange. Not that I'm flaming you for wasting valuable bandwidth or
anything...I mean, what's a few extra Kbytes worth of text among
friends, eh? Just something weird I noticed so replied as I did (and
confused Jay B. in the process...yes!) :-)

Jack Allison

Jan 12, 2005, 3:03:12 PM1/12/05
Jon Kraus wrote:

> Go fly the Arrow and then tell me how much you like it.

Aye Aye captain! Will gladly go fly an airplane and report back :-)
Sounds like we'll get to take a look at it Saturday. I'll have my
flying gear with me just in case the owner asks us if we want to take it
for a spin...er, you know what I mean.

> You probably
> would never go back to wanting a 172. Not that there is anything wrong
> with a 172 mind you, they are great planes but you know what I mean. I

Yep, sort of the Tim Taylor approach. Faster, more bells and
whistles...oh ya, I'm sure to take a much more dim view of a C-172 after
I get my first chance to play with the landing gear switch and see a
faster TAS.

> Remember what they say... Keep 5-10% of the
> purchase price put back for the first years "suprise" expenses. Pay
> extra and have the avionics stack checked out (including the ELT) by a
> qualified avionics shop. It shouldn't cost too much and it would be
> worth it.

Sage advice gladly accepted. I'm all ears when it comes to stuff like
this so if you want to pass along your list, please do. Perhaps a good
topic for a r.a.o post...I mean, since we've wandered from Jay H's
weather woes to my latest ownership report. Hey, at least it's all
aviation related.

It is loading more messages.