US jet intercepts ballistic missile

1 view

Jim Yanik

Dec 5, 2007, 11:01:24 AM12/5/07

Dale Brown territory;

http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/missile_intercept_f-
16/2007/12/04/54563.html

US used an F-16 jet to intercept a ballistic missile.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Mr.Smartypants

Dec 5, 2007, 12:11:47 PM12/5/07

LOL!!

because their anti-balistic missle missles don't work!

Tiger

Dec 5, 2007, 1:42:34 PM12/5/07

No, just another arrow in the quiver.

Mr.Smartypants

Dec 5, 2007, 5:36:30 PM12/5/07

Yeh......sure.

Mike Williamson

Dec 5, 2007, 6:25:50 PM12/5/07
Mr.Smartypants wrote:
> On Dec 5, 11:42 am, Tiger <Lana_sa...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Mr.Smartypants wrote:

>>>LOL!!
>>
>>>because their anti-balistic missle missles don't work!
>>
>>No, just another arrow in the quiver.
>

> Yeh......sure.

Simply another 'layer.' This one is a boost phase intercept,
with limited engagement times and restrictions on location
(from the article, the jet would have to launch the
interceptor within 2-3 minutes from within 100 miles),
which rules out large areas of the world from coverage,
but which might well be possible within some areas where
the capability might prove useful.

More 'conventional' ABM systems do their intercept in the
post boost phase, much farther from the launch point.

Mike

Mike Dennis

Dec 5, 2007, 8:08:25 PM12/5/07
"Mr.Smartypants" <shrub...@excite.com> wrote in message

With a name like Smartypants, I keep waiting for you to say something
....well....smart.

So far, nothing yet.

Dean A. Markley

Dec 5, 2007, 8:21:07 PM12/5/07
He's nothing but a gadfly/troll. Don't wait long.....

Jim Yanik

Dec 5, 2007, 8:25:22 PM12/5/07
"Dean A. Markley" <deanm...@comcast.net> wrote in

I wouldn't even SEE his posts except for those who "feed the trolls".

what's wrong with you folks???

Rob Arndt

Dec 6, 2007, 12:04:05 AM12/6/07

Not the first time a fighter intercepted a ballistic missile. Over the
Hague a prop-fighter saw a V-2 firing off and rising before him. He
shot it down- the only one in history up until now.

Does anyone remember the a/c and pilot?

On Wiki they claim a B-24; however, I have a different account
somewhere amongst my 3,000 books that gives detailed info on a British
fighter instead. It was one of the following, IIRC:

Spitfire, Typhoon, or Tempest.

I know I posted on this before but cannot find the correct word combo
on the RAM archive to produce it. Cannot remember the thread title
either...

Well, someone will probably remember.

Maybe Guy will since he specializes in British planes or perhaps Keith
Willshaw (as a matter of British pride) ;)

Rob

Eunometic

Dec 6, 2007, 7:52:44 AM12/6/07

Dassault proposed a UAV with anti ballistic missile capability about
10 years ago in what became the Dassault AVE or DUC programme. A
stealthy UAV I think might be a better way to go since a nation with
ballistic missiles might have missiles of the caliber of the S-400
etc.

eatfastnoodle

Dec 6, 2007, 8:46:20 PM12/6/07

Too bad, won't be able to see it in action since US is so exhausted by
the Iraq mess, it would be years before all the mental and political
trauma are healed enough to let the US engage in another overseas
military intervention.

Jim Yanik

Dec 6, 2007, 10:50:55 PM12/6/07
eatfastnoodle <d12s...@gmail.com> wrote in news:e4894d8a-a047-42a6-bc8a-
39e56e...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

Except that if a significant incident occurs,that malaise can reverse very
quickly.

DK

Dec 7, 2007, 8:18:12 AM12/7/07
On Dec 6, 5:04 am, Rob Arndt <teuton...@aol.com> wrote:

> Not the first time a fighter intercepted a ballistic missile. Over the
> Hague a prop-fighter saw a V-2 firing off and rising before him. He
> shot it down- the only one in history up until now.
>
> Does anyone remember the a/c and pilot?
>
> On Wiki they claim a B-24; however, I have a different account
> somewhere amongst my 3,000 books that gives detailed info on a British
> fighter instead. It was one of the following, IIRC:
>
> Spitfire, Typhoon, or Tempest.
>
> I know I posted on this before but cannot find the correct word combo
> on the RAM archive to produce it. Cannot remember the thread title
> either...
>
> Well, someone will probably remember.
>
> Maybe Guy will since he specializes in British planes or perhaps Keith
> Willshaw (as a matter of British pride) ;)
>
> Rob

There's a tale along these lines attributed to the late Raymond
Baxter...according to Baxter he didn't hit the target, but I can
recall hearing mutated and presumably innacurate versions of this tale
to the effect that he did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Baxter

eatfastnoodle

Dec 7, 2007, 7:20:36 PM12/7/07
On Dec 6, 9:50 pm, Jim Yanik <jya...@abuse.gov> wrote:
> eatfastnoodle <d12s34...@gmail.com> wrote in news:e4894d8a-a047-42a6-bc8a-
> 39e56eb86...@e10g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> > On Dec 5, 10:01 am, Jim Yanik <jya...@abuse.gov> wrote:
> >> Dale Brown territory;
>
> >>http://www.newsmax.com/newsfront/missile_intercept_f-
> >> 16/2007/12/04/54563.html
>
> >> US used an F-16 jet to intercept a ballistic missile.
>
> >> --
> >> Jim Yanik
> >> jyanik
> >> at
> >> kua.net
>
> > Too bad, won't be able to see it in action since US is so exhausted by
> > the Iraq mess, it would be years before all the mental and political
> > trauma are healed enough to let the US engage in another overseas
> > military intervention.
>
> Except that if a significant incident occurs,that malaise can reverse very
> quickly.
>
> --
> Jim Yanik
> jyanik
> at
> kua.net

911 was big enough, look how long patience has sustained since the
collapse of twin tower. Not that long given the magnitude of the
event. The military has been turned into a mercenary force, which
means tons of supporting rhetoric from the general public but very few
people outside of the military are willing to make the real sacrifice
to win a war. Not a good omen if you were engaged in a ideological
struggle with a determined adversary.

Rob Arndt

Dec 7, 2007, 8:53:04 PM12/7/07
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Baxter- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like you could be right. He was flying a Spit, but I seem to
recall that the version I read about was with a Tempest or Typhoon.

I always had doubts about hitting a V-2 in the air b/c the detonation
would have been so powerful that no one would have lived to tell about
it- a whole fighter wing could be obliterated by a V-2 explosion.

Anyway, does anyone know about Typhoons or Tempests hitting V-2 mobile
launchers in the Netherlands? Perhaps they scored on the ground and it
got mixed up with Baxter's tale.

Still, Wiki makes a claim of a B-24 shooting one down.

Rob