Spitfire "Ace Maker" Gunsight

Rob Arndt

Dec 15, 2010, 1:55:50 PM12/15/10

Gordon

Dec 15, 2010, 2:40:52 PM12/15/10
On Dec 15, 10:55 am, Rob Arndt <teuton...@aol.com> wrote:
> http://www.spitfirespares.com/spitfirespares.com/Website%20products%2...
>
> Rob

I have a Mk 9 gunsite from a Mossie -- amazing how simple it looks in
comparison to this beast.

Rob Arndt

Dec 15, 2010, 3:31:24 PM12/15/10

Eunometic

Dec 15, 2010, 6:11:52 PM12/15/10

Very good info on British gyro sights:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?p=160621

Dean

Dec 15, 2010, 7:22:35 PM12/15/10

Gordon, how did you obtain such a treasure?

Dean

Gordon

Dec 15, 2010, 10:48:03 PM12/15/10

Dean, I got it the old fashioned way -- eBay. :) $110 if you can
believe it! The instrument shop is converting the plug so I can use
it in my Firebird. Gear shift handle is kinda nice too (control
stick grip).

Daryl Hunt

Dec 15, 2010, 11:27:22 PM12/15/10

Firebird? And what are you going to use it for? I own a 1993
Formula Firebird with the LT-1 engine. While it does feel like a
fighter sometimes, I just can't see mounting a gun sight on it.
Being bright red, it can be a real cop magnet if I fire it up too
hard. But it mostly sits in the yard and just looks good :)

Eunometic

Dec 16, 2010, 12:11:27 AM12/16/10

I've often wanted a quad of 20mm guns to deal with idiots in the
traffic, now with a gyro site I could deal with them at 1000m.

Gordon

Dec 16, 2010, 12:43:15 AM12/16/10

...and do it in a 45 degree bank!

seriously, the stick grip and the gunsight will be for looks during
the Thursday night classic car cruise in Lemon Grove. Last year, I
was in my 57 Morris Minor convertible which sadly got sold to help my
poor divorce attorney afford a much needed vacation. My Firebird is a
73 with about 10% to go to be finished. Working on "Leeeeeroyyyyyy"
every day and I get a lot of fun out of it. I got it back on the 22
of November and so far am 3:0 with it (two modern Mustangs and a 77
Camaro). License plate is "V8 Baby". If you can't come to San Diego
to see it, you can still hear it in Los Angeles. Next up are
replacing the rear shocks (it has that classic butt-low Firebird look)
and bringing the whole car up two inches. In the olden days (1980s),
I had spark plugs in each exhaust since Holly 750s blow a significant
amount of unburnt fuel out the tail pipes. Not sure if I will do it
again this time, but it does liven up downshifts coming off the
highway.... Decisions, decisions...

BTW, anyone have a lead on an MW-50 unit I could bolt on...?

Daryl Hunt

Dec 16, 2010, 12:43:54 AM12/16/10

An idiot with a 20mm gun on his car. Now, there's something you
don't see every day.

Rob Arndt

Dec 16, 2010, 3:38:29 AM12/16/10
> BTW, anyone have a lead on an MW-50 unit I could bolt on...?- Hide quoted text -

Ha! Car testosterone talk!!!

LMFAO!!!

MW 50 boost??? C'mon, I'd rather have a 15 lb axial flow turbo-ram.
Almost all my cars have been muscle cars and NASCAR types. Grew-up in
the 70s :)

Add sport bikes too and the Salt Flats.

Hell, I live in Cali just like you do Gordon. You should try I-80 at
night on a crotch rocket pushing the 187 mph barrier on the Roseville-
Auburn stretch or reverse. You will need 4 miles visibility for
braking and down-shifting and no obstructions which is perfect when
you hit the sign to Sac on I-80W at 1-2am in the morning going Auburn-
Roseville.

It starts downhill and visibility is easily 9-10 miles straight ahead.
I only made 194mph using gravity to exceed 187 mph. But that is pretty
rare when not out on the salt flats or a speedway.
The Hyabusa turbos avg about 220-240 mph but they are not street-legal
so I saw them in Utah. I had stock before I got my Honda VTX 1800cc
beast which was the largest production bike until the 2300cc Triumph
Rocket came along.

Man that speed is blood and adrenaline-pumping awesome for the few
seconds that speed was attained before the long scary braking and down-
shifting nightmare to Eureka Blvd. At that point I got down to 100 and
had to brake her down fast and pull-over to regain my composure and
get my breath back plus sight. I got off and got on the ground and put
my head between my legs to recover. That is just way too fast to
travel in traffic, very minor at that time of night, but not
recommended for amatuers. I have over 3 decades of riding experience
with 9 bikes I owned and many others I rode. My brother was a
motorcycle mechanic for Capitol Yamaha and Roseville Honda when he was
young so we were always toying with and modifying our bikes.

I remember with fondness when the GS-1100E came out as well as the 10
sec 1/4 mile V-65 Magna and then the 9 second ZX-9. I saw the first
Katana in 1982 and then the fisrt Ninja in 1986. People forget the
Honda Hurricane and all the turbos (Not just the XJ650 Yamaha but the
GPZ-750 turbo and the old Honda Turbo and Suzuki turbo). I had a bunch
of Yamahas back in the day when their showrooms were filled with
SECAs, Viragos, Maxims, and Venture Royales that were V-engined and
not the Harley-clones. Suzuki had the GS-1000, 11000E, 750ES and then
all the Katanas. Kawasaki had all the GPZs and ZXs.

My favorite car was my '77 Camaro that was a restoration job with twin
Holleys and electric fuel pump, rebuilt engine, 4-spd Hurst ball
shifter in your lap, rally dash, Kelly Charger tires, and Black Viper
mod-3 rims... plus a 3-stage flowmaster. I loved that car. black on
black interior, 8-way mirror, Bad Bowtie banner, and my Drakkar Noir
fragrance popular with the ladies. Ballin' in that baby on black fur
seat covers in the summer or winter was a joy :)

I'm sure MSP can relate ;)

Thanks for the memories Gordon!!!

Rob

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 3:48:55 AM12/16/10
<snip>

BS-O-Meter pegged off scale high.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Mr.Smartypants

Dec 16, 2010, 4:04:16 AM12/16/10
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired-

Yer just mad 'cause Rob was f***in' wimmin.

Rob Arndt

Dec 16, 2010, 4:16:09 AM12/16/10
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired- Hide quoted text -

I take it that you NEVER had muscle cars, performed any restorations
(like on a Mustang 64 1/2), and never had any bikes (certainly no
crotch rockets and sport cruisers).

It shows.

And, I'll wager you NEVER got laid in a car, on a bike, in/on a boat,
or in the air. I have done all.

Go ahead, let's hear your glorious post-USAF life... yawn...

Tossing-off to Amazon women fetish mags doesn't count ;)

And to fuck you up with definative proof my Camaro license plate was
1MSK338. I sold it in 1996 to a poor family for a low amount b/c they
lost their other car and I had two. Then, they wrecked it in an
accident and it was sold to an employee that worked for KFC on Watt
Avenue in N Highlands. I was shocked to see that he was turning it
into a white trash race machine all primered, had the hood scoop and
was lifted, but still needed bodywork from the accident, paint, and
numerous repairs. It then was sold to a rich kid from a HS who did
full restoration beyond what I could do- it was in his HS graduation
book (I know for sure b/c the family knew the boy b/c their son went
to the same school). That was around 2004 so I do not know the history
after that.

No run along and look that up.

Rob

Rob Arndt

Dec 16, 2010, 4:25:29 AM12/16/10
On Dec 16, 1:04 am, "Mr.Smartypants" <bunghole-jon...@lycos.com>
wrote:
> Yer just mad 'cause Rob was f***in' wimmin.- Hide quoted text -

MSP,

I grew up int the 70s and early 80s. I remember all those fun times
partying and gettin laid in vans, on waterbeds, bean bag chairs, in
cars, outdoors, and flyin' out the window of my first love's grandma's
house!!!

Those were the good old days.

Shit, I remember the days of pickin' up women in supermarkets, laundry
mats, and car washes!!!

Dan just never had any real fun b/c he was 2 decades older and a
square USAF nobody who had to marry Asian (Goy) b/c no Jewish woman
would have him.

Then you read his perverted rec.nude posts and his admitted Amazon
women fetish (gay) plus his genitalia obsession accusations... and
this dude is a freak, sicko.

Yet he complains about the postwar Israeli STALALGS erotic torture
fiction that JEWS published in Israel.

Go figure...

I know YOU must have had some fun MSP :)

Rob

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 5:01:54 AM12/16/10

If you really had "done all" you wouldn't be bragging about it. As to
where I "done it" I respect whom I was with too much to tell the likes
of you.

You know what they say about middle aged people who brag about
"muscle cars" don't you?

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 5:04:28 AM12/16/10

I notice you still feel the need to talk about my dead wife. It says
more about you than it does me. So does your obsession with my being
Jewish and my sex life. I guarantee you would never say such things to
my face. I will pray for you.

Gordon

Dec 16, 2010, 10:41:39 AM12/16/10

I'm just happy to have it back. My ex had me sell it when we got
married and for the next twenty years, it was all mini-vans, Hondas,
and Dodge Neons. After the divorce was final, I got a CLK 430 and
loved every second of it, until the x decided it was the main reason
to return us to court to reverse the child support. Now, the Mercedes
is gone, so I found and put Leroy back on the road. It's like having
a favorite horse under me -- its so familiar I can't even describe it.

Rob Arndt

Dec 16, 2010, 11:24:38 AM12/16/10

What would you know of both muscle cars and arsenals of weapons as
well as getting laid on a regular basis???

And who is bragging? Gordon brought this topic up and millions of guys
LOVE to talk about cars as much as sports, women, guns, electronics,
etc...

It's not my fault YOU have a problem with such things...

I don't let my age of 46 drag me down b/c I feel 26 inside. BTW, you
views are dated and stale.

Rob

p.s. YES, I still play my PS-3 and enjoy buying dvds too, got a
problem with that? "Salt" comes out 12/21 and "Resident Evil 4" on
12/28!!! Love Angelina Jolie and Milla Jovovivh :)

Schiffner

Dec 16, 2010, 1:05:39 PM12/16/10

You'll have to ditch the fireblade then...it's isn't strong enough nor
does it have enough mass to handle the recoil. Might I suggest either
a used late model GL18000 (they are disposable after all) or a IMZ/
Ural Up Gear? as being able to handle those guns...as a bonus the Up
Gear has more room for ammo that either you Fireblade OR the Gold
Wing. ;^) Me, I'll settle for a pair of lewis guns on a ring mount. My
ol' GL1000 can handle that quiet well AND I have room for a at least 3
reloads per gun and that's without using my saddle bags.

Schiffner

Dec 16, 2010, 1:10:31 PM12/16/10
On Dec 15, 10:43 pm, Gordon <Gor...@oldboldpilots.org> wrote:

AH! My bad, parsed Firebird as Fireblade...different beasts entirely.

Owning a 72' Cheyenne I appreciate old steel that rusts but doesn't
collapse. A quad 50 mount would do quiet nicle on it. As a bonus I
know EE's and other such skilled people...slaving the mount to a head
mounted sight wouldn't be difficult. Well that or a brace of AA12's
with 100rd drums.

> BTW, anyone have a lead on an MW-50 unit I could bolt on...?

hmmm, ebay? Or work out how to mod a carter 2bbl (500cfm) to move the
MW50 when you need it. But that's going to REALLY complicate your
intake plumbing.

Schiffner

Dec 16, 2010, 1:19:32 PM12/16/10
> a favorite horse under me --  its so familiar I can't even describe it.- Hide quoted text -

gee, I've never let my wife kick my ass like that. 8^) I already had a
74' impala wagon when I met here...beer hauler, mustang beater, pussy
palace (I swear you could hide mg midget in teh back if you let the
air out) I don't bike swap so I've had the same T-500 since the late
70's, still have the savage I wore out and the current rides, 79'
GL1000 and 09' ninjette both I've done SS1k's on and neither has much
for chicken strips...well the wing does but that's because the heads
get in the way.

I wont brag about the 77' gran leman (enforcer) because it was really
a 4dr TA and out handled most 'vettes. Drag race? No...to high a gear.
You wanna run okc to guymon, ok using only dirt roads and a little
black top? good luck, you'll lose. One poor fool thought that his
mach1 could go from Stillwater to dallas faster...he bought the beer.
8^) That was when I was young and crazy...I don't do that crap
anymore. Got boring not slowing down.

Schiffner

Dec 16, 2010, 1:20:20 PM12/16/10
> don't see every day.-

and you dang sure mind your manners and don't tailgate when you do.

Daryl Hunt

Dec 16, 2010, 1:34:05 PM12/16/10

187 mph, my BS meter went on scale on that one. 9 second off the
shelf motor cycle. Another gasket blown on the BS meter. The
quickest has been recorded at 10.7 of the 1970 and later bikes.
There was one recorded at 10.2 but that was before 1970. Care to
show your superior intellect and tell me what bike that was?
It's my all time favorite.

I've been that speed but not on the street. And not in the type
of vehicle you described. Hell, my old race prepped (far from
stock) Cuda topped out about 160 on the street. And it had
better be a very long street. The body mods to get it even that
fast made it look right out of a scifi mag. The engine alone
isn't going to make you go that fast. At a certain point, air
dams and such are going to have to be used. And you car didn't
have any of those.

The new Dodge Challenger with the Optional (dealer installed)
Hemi 6.2 was clocked in Europe at 193 mph. There wasn't enough
unlimited speed areas left on the Autobahn to attain that speed.
They found one stretch of road in Italy that allowed them to
run that fast. They had to shut it down before it's full
potential was attained. But we are talking about a car with more
HP than you had at your disposal and one really slick body that
is more aerodynamic than your car. And we are talking about
people used to driving at some real insane speeds and power.
Pros. You ain't no pro.

During the time you claimed to be able to do this, street tires
wouldn't have held up. I know. My 160mph car ran modified
racing tires that weren't allowed on the streets. Of course, I
would put them on it just to make a run but if stopped, a cop
would have a field day with his ticket book on just the tires.

My 1968 Dodge 440 with a fully built 440 dual quad engine
probably rated in the over 550 hp range might have done it but
the tires wouldn't have. I had two cars pass me when I was doing
60 in a 55 on I-50. One was a Chevelle with probably a 350 and
the other was this dog ugly dark green 63 dodge 500. I picked it
up and slowly caught up with them. That old dodge was teasing
the Chevelle bad. Blow him away, back off, blow him away. I
started around the 63 dodge at 65 mph and he dropped the hammer.
What I saw I hadn't seen since my 63 300J. His entire hood
looked like it was sucked down. There is only one production
engine capable of doing that. I saw a bit of history at work.
He was running a 413 cross ram. That was the same engine in my
old 63 300J. Needless to say, I dropped the hammer. Cubes beats
cubes. I went from 65 to 125 in the space of telephone pole to
telephone pole and pulled away by a few car lengths. He shut
down. So did I. My tires couldn't handle any more speed. The
68 Dodge was a very special car. It looked like a standard
Business Mans Coupe except when you looked down at the Speedo, it
went to 200 mph. It was a real dog off the line but get it
moving and it was something special. Could the Car had done 187?
On paper, yes, in reality, no. The tires would have come
apart. Ever had a blowout at over 100 mph? Don't.

Daryl Hunt

Dec 16, 2010, 1:34:55 PM12/16/10

Never cared if you were Jewish or not. It's never been an issue
in here.

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 2:38:56 PM12/16/10

My first new car was a 1973 Duster. I sold it this year. I didn't
have the money to put it back into shape. It had been off the road for
about 6 years.

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 2:44:14 PM12/16/10

I understand "arsenals" means more than one arsenal. I understand
electronics at the component level, you don't. I also understand you
have no integrity, honesty, self respect, respect for others or manners.
I also understand you would never say to anyone's face some of the
things you say from behind your modem.

Gordon

Dec 16, 2010, 3:02:43 PM12/16/10
> reloads per gun and that's without using my saddle bags.- Hide quoted text -

our gun guy Jim just brought back a HUUUNNNNNNYYYYY of a Lewis that
was donated a few weeks ago -- Jim stripped it down to bare and
refinished everything, its just a beauty. Crinkle black with the
heavy muzzle brake on the end of the barrel. This sucker is my
favorite of all the weapons we have in house; its a no-ship Zeppelin
buster, chambered for the 11-point-something explosive incind rounds.
We also have a belt of those bullets in the back of my desk... having
the bullets and the Lewis in that close of proximity is probably not
good as I am feeling a little stressed every time the Goodyear blimp
sails overhead... Odd thing about them is the gun doesn't use the
long fabric belt, it uses disintegrating links, like a more modern
MG.

Dan

Dec 16, 2010, 3:28:05 PM12/16/10

Well, you can't store the ammunition near the weapon. You better go
shoot it, then find some way to get rid of the smile on your face so
people don't get ideas.

Rob Arndt

Dec 16, 2010, 3:41:17 PM12/16/10
> apart.  Ever had a blowout at over 100 mph?  Don't.- Hide quoted text -

You show by thisa post that you haven't a clue about motorcycles. I
have hit as high as 149mph on a middleweight Katana 600 @ 85 hp and as
high as 194 mph on the Suzuki Hyabusa 1300 w/o turbo installation.
BTW, the 10 second 1/4 mile was broken by Pee Wee Gleason in the 1980s
on the Honda V65 Magna (1984???) and then reduced to 9 seconds with
the Kawasaki ZX-9 (1999).

I have rode for over 3 decades every type of motorcycle there is for
sale: dirt, dual-sport, utility, cruiser, sport-cruiser, sportbike,
super-sport, crotch rocket, light tourer, sport tourer, full-dress
tourer, vintage, turbo, 2-4-6 cylinder, etc...

As member of several riding clubs I got to ride all sorts of bikes and
take trips to neighboring states.

So my credentials are in order.

You are the dumbass that compared a Honda Fireblade motorcycle to a
Pontiac Firebird car.

Schiffner, stop trying to troll so much...

I bet you fucking would piss your pants and shit yourself at speeds of
over 150 mph in traffic on a bike. I have raced the Roseville-Auburn
route on I-80E for years at speeds that are highly dangeropus and
never got caught nor was beaten by a rival racer in a car or on a
bike. It is 32 miles up and 28 miles back. Between Eureka Blvd and the
sign exciting Auburn is a very long stretch of miles that is perfect
for straightline acceleration and excellent visability.

If you ever have the balls to come to Sac, I can get you a crotch
rocket and we can race. So put up or shut-up. Same for pussy Dan.

As for the car racing BS, Sacramento is gridlocked all the time, so
good luck with Gordon up here. Most people just race at the raceway or
out of town. Things are so bad here that the old race to Reno on I-80E
is over :(

Traffic is that bad and dangerous. California is also the only state
to allow lane-splitting by bikes, but accidents are climbing. I never
liked that b/c I never wanted damage to my bikes and ironically it was
the CHP that led to lanesplitting for emergencies here. They are some
of the worst bikers around (although their BMWs are awesome)!!!

Rob

Daryl Hunt

Dec 16, 2010, 4:07:12 PM12/16/10

Try 10.26 seconds through the quarter with a professional rider
and that was with the ZX-9R which is a real hotrod with over 130
hp. But it weighs in at a hefty 472lbs. You want it to go
faster, lose some weight.

Like the bike that is SECOND fastest in production history at
just over 390 lbs with a claimed HP of 66 (actual hp was 122.
The reason was, at that time, you could import a motorcycle into
the states with no more than 67hp so they claimed 66.)

The fastest was 10.1. This was in the 50s. Care to guess which
bike that was? It was also very light with a lot of ponies.

If you want your claim to be true, get one, get someone from a
Major Bike Mag to test it and have them report it. Otherwise,
the major Bike Mags will report the quickest your ZX-9(anything
stock) is 10.26 seconds.

> I have rode for over 3 decades every type of motorcycle there is for
> sale: dirt, dual-sport, utility, cruiser, sport-cruiser, sportbike,
> super-sport, crotch rocket, light tourer, sport tourer, full-dress
> tourer, vintage, turbo, 2-4-6 cylinder, etc...

And I owned a few myself. What's your point?

> As member of several riding clubs I got to ride all sorts of bikes and
> take trips to neighboring states.

I made a few trips myself. Of course, my last trip was
interupted by a "The Prez gots you" form.

> So my credentials are in order.

Maybe in the inflate the stats. But little else.

> You are the dumbass that compared a Honda Fireblade motorcycle to a
> Pontiac Firebird car.

Newsflash, the last time I checked, my Firebird has 4 wheels.
And it takes a class C license without the M.

> Schiffner, stop trying to troll so much...

Hey, stupid, I am Daryl, not Schiffner.

> I bet you fucking would piss your pants and shit yourself at speeds of
> over 150 mph in traffic on a bike. I have raced the Roseville-Auburn
> route on I-80E for years at speeds that are highly dangeropus and
> never got caught nor was beaten by a rival racer in a car or on a
> bike. It is 32 miles up and 28 miles back. Between Eureka Blvd and the
> sign exciting Auburn is a very long stretch of miles that is perfect
> for straightline acceleration and excellent visability.

I road a lot of dirt when I was a teen in cars and bikes. I
switched to modified cars, SS in 1/4 and open road all out races
after that. Never looked back.

> If you ever have the balls to come to Sac, I can get you a crotch
> rocket and we can race. So put up or shut-up. Same for pussy Dan.

I despise crotch rockets to the max. They just ain't natural.
Besides, I can find an old british bike or a new Italian bike
that would eat it's lunch and I don't have to scrunch up into a
fetal position to do it.

> As for the car racing BS, Sacramento is gridlocked all the time, so
> good luck with Gordon up here. Most people just race at the raceway or
> out of town. Things are so bad here that the old race to Reno on I-80E
> is over :(
>
> Traffic is that bad and dangerous. California is also the only state
> to allow lane-splitting by bikes, but accidents are climbing. I never
> liked that b/c I never wanted damage to my bikes and ironically it was
> the CHP that led to lanesplitting for emergencies here. They are some
> of the worst bikers around (although their BMWs are awesome)!!!

The reason I switched to tracks in the 60s. That and a heavy
threat from a couple of embarrassed State Cops. Time to grow up
and figure out that it's downright dangerous to every around you
and fatal to do the things you claim you have done and are doing
now. The reason I know you are full of it is, you are alive
enough to type your responses.

Steve Hix

Dec 17, 2010, 1:16:48 AM12/17/10

I once had a '59 Morris Minor convertible. Dark blue, perfect body and top.

Had to sell it around '80 as our family outgrew it (and we couldn't afford two
cars).

Less than a month later I saw it at a local grocery parking lot. Three of four
fenders dinged, and the top ripped... I felt sick.

Only car I ever owned that called for three different socket sets: Metric, SAE
and Whitworth, depending.

Dan

Dec 17, 2010, 2:17:45 AM12/17/10

Could be worse, you could have had left hand threads on one side of
the vehicle and right hand threads on the other. I'm not big on UK cars,
but I gather there were a few.

Bay Man

Dec 17, 2010, 6:47:06 AM12/17/10

"Dan" <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote in message

> I'm not big on UK cars, but I gather there were a few.

Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. Then you
will change your mind.

My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric Chevy
Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.

Bay Man

Dec 17, 2010, 6:48:42 AM12/17/10

"Steve Hix" <se...@NOSPAMmac.comINVALID> wrote in message

> I once had a '59 Morris Minor convertible. Dark blue, perfect body and
> top.
>
> Had to sell it around '80 as our family outgrew it (and we couldn't afford
> two
> cars).

You can make up a new Morris Minor buying the parts in Sri Lanka.

Schiffner

Dec 17, 2010, 10:33:34 AM12/17/10
On Dec 16, 11:16 pm, Steve Hix <se...@NOSPAMmac.comINVALID> wrote:

> I once had a '59 Morris Minor convertible. Dark blue, perfect body and top.
>
> Had to sell it around '80 as our family outgrew it (and we couldn't afford two
> cars).
>
> Less than a month later I saw it at a local grocery parking lot. Three of four
> fenders dinged, and the top ripped... I felt sick.

damn...

> Only car I ever owned that called for three different socket sets: Metric, SAE
> and Whitworth, depending.

that's a bad thing? That my good man is an alibi for buying more
tools! That's a GOOD thing! My old cop car used SAE and Metric...

Schiffner

Dec 17, 2010, 10:35:05 AM12/17/10

SWEET!

Dweezil Dwarftosser

Dec 17, 2010, 11:19:42 AM12/17/10
xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

> "Dan" <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote:

> > I'm not big on UK cars, but I gather there were a few.
>
> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. Then you
> will change your mind.

Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of replacement
engines?

> My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric Chevy
> Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.

You might want to buy one outright, now - then wait for delivery.
Come January (when the less-communist Congress convenes), the $30,000
per auto government subsidy is certain to disappear. With luck,
they'll close down the production line, and you can get your purchase
price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly of the
century.

Steve Hix

Dec 17, 2010, 1:51:47 PM12/17/10
In article <p6-dnYELXIsGk5bQ...@giganews.com>,
Dan <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote:

I had a (French) bicycle like that once. IIRC, it was a Peugeot PX-10 with a
Swiss-thread bottom bracket. Theaded straight through the bottom bracket,
35 mm x 1mm, left-hand-threaded fixed cup (right side), right-hand-threaded
adjustable cup (left side.)

Rob Arndt

Dec 17, 2010, 3:16:41 PM12/17/10
On Dec 17, 8:19 am, Dweezil Dwarftosser <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> xyxbayman...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

Who DOESN'T like the Jaguar D-Type???
http://www.jaguar-club.de/Jaguar-Modelle/D-Type-Jaguar.jpg

Love that car and the Jag XJ-220:
http://www.photo-auto.com/jaguar/xj220/jaguar-xj220-1.jpg

Rob

p.s. In 1988 I bought a Mitsubishi for fun. It was my favorite car
back then for sentimental reasons. Bet no one would ever guess which
model it was.

Daryl Hunt

Dec 17, 2010, 3:27:28 PM12/17/10

No one cares. You will just say that Daryl is a liar somewhere
in the context to prove another of your inflated ego rants.

Jeffrey Hamilton

Dec 17, 2010, 5:59:48 PM12/17/10
Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:
> xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...
>
>> "Dan" <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote:
>
>>> I'm not big on UK cars, but I gather there were a few.
>>
>> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc.
>> Then you will change your mind.
>
> Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of
> replacement engines?

Theres lots of old Jags on the road, but Jags, just like Volkswagons, need a
factory trained mechanic to keep them purring.

>> My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric
>> Chevy Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.
>
> You might want to buy one outright, now - then wait for delivery.
> Come January (when the less-communist Congress convenes),

Besides when the more fascist congress convenes, you'll probably witness
another meltdown of the worlds financial market and once again money will be
very tight.

>the $30,000
> per auto government subsidy is certain to disappear. With luck,
> they'll close down the production line, and you can get your purchase
> price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly of the
> century.

I'm going to wait until thr price of replacement batteries, is quite a bit
less than a new Hi-Po crate engine.

cheers....Jeff

Dan

Dec 17, 2010, 6:06:36 PM12/17/10

I bought a Peugot bicycle when I was stationed in Germany. I don't
recall left hand threads, but I can always check. I still have it.

Diogenes

Dec 17, 2010, 10:19:20 PM12/17/10

Up until about 1960 a number of American cars had left-hand thread
lugnuts on the driver's side wheels, which theoretically helped keep
them tight due to rotation. There was more than one poor guy who
couldn't figure out whyinthehell he couldn't those damn lugnuts loose
no matter how hard he tried.

----
Diogenes

The wars are long, the peace is frail
The madmen come again . . . .

Daryl Hunt

Dec 17, 2010, 10:44:07 PM12/17/10

I worked on a bike build for a customer today. The Pedals were L
and R. Drove him nuts.

Bay Man

Dec 18, 2010, 3:15:26 AM12/18/10

"Dweezil Dwarftosser" <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...
>
>> "Dan" <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote:
>
> > > I'm not big on UK cars, but I gather there were a few.
>>
>> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. Then
>> you
>> will change your mind.
>
> Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of replacement
> engines?

Then buy a Ford. Yes, Henry Ford who promised the USA government he could
build planes in car volumes - but refused to supply to the UK. Hence why
Packard got the RR contract to build the Merlin.

>> My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric Chevy
>> Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.
>
> You might want to buy one outright, now - then wait for delivery.
> Come January (when the less-communist Congress convenes),

You are brainwashed.

> the $30,000 per auto government subsidy is
> certain to disappear. With luck, they'll close
> down the production line, and you can get your purchase
> price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly of the
> century.

Engineering is not your field for sure.

Bay Man

Dec 18, 2010, 3:30:10 AM12/18/10

"Jeffrey Hamilton" <bbere...@cogeco.ca> wrote in message

> Dweezil Dwarftosser wrote:
>> xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

>>> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc.
>>> Then you will change your mind.
>>
>> Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of
>> replacement engines?
>
> Theres lots of old Jags on the road, but Jags, just like Volkswagons, need
> a factory trained mechanic to keep them purring.

Nonsense.

>>> My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric
>>> Chevy Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.
>>
>> You might want to buy one outright, now - then wait for delivery.
>> Come January (when the less-communist Congress convenes),
>
> Besides when the more fascist congress convenes, you'll probably witness
> another meltdown of the worlds financial market and once again money will
> be very tight.

Yep.

>>the $30,000
>> per auto government subsidy is certain to disappear. With luck,
>> they'll close down the production line, and you can get your purchase
>> price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly of the
>> century.
>
> I'm going to wait until thr price of replacement batteries, is quite a bit
> less than a new Hi-Po crate engine.

The Volt runs on electic motors - the engine is only a genny. The car does
60 mpg running on the genny alone. There is no power sapping auto
transmission. You can ignore replacing batteries. Ferdinand Porche was using
the same setup to win races over 100 years ago - it is not new. The Chevy
Volt setup, without a large battery set, has been feasible for at least 25
years. When EMUs came about. Just size it all up. The makers never did, as
they do not want progress unless forced to. Especially US companies.

I was talking to guys who work at Jaguar. They are all taking about the next
generation which appears to be a series-hybrid setup. Electric motors only
move the car. The engine is a genny.

Lotus have small, light, simple engines specifically for this application -
ready off the shelf already proven and R&D's design. It is available to any
car maker to make under licence or Lotus will have a company make them for
you.

Jaguar have tested the 1200cc Lotus range extender engines (gennys) and are
getting 57mpg (imp) and 1,200 miles range. Impressive for such a largish
car. I don't like the two-speed mechanical transmission they have used in
the prototype. That can be eliminated using the correct electric motor. But
it is only a test car. It looks like they are adapting an existing car
rather than building around the technology.

http://www.jaguar.com/gl/en/#/experience/jaguar_magazine/issue1_2010/limo_green

Rob Arndt

Dec 18, 2010, 4:43:11 AM12/18/10

> Then buy a Ford.  Yes, Henry Ford who promised the USA government he could
> build planes in car volumes - but refused to supply to the UK.  Hence why
> Packard got the RR contract to build the Merlin.

Ford also designed a 4-engine bomber that he wanted to amke out of
Ford Chemurgian technology that came from the ground vs chemical
plastic components made by DuPont. His bomber would be lighter than
any US bomber and take punishment better than a B-17... but because
the Green Arrow was to be made from various grown materials, including
hemp, it was attacked ruthlessly by Hearst in his newspapers and
Hearst was backed by DuPont which was trading with the Nazis.
Likewise, the 1942 Hempmobile that was impact-resistant and another
challenge to auto-makers was also prevented from being marketed for
public and military use. Had Ford gotten that contract the Jeep would
never have had such an impact. Ford hemp vehicles would have supplied
the US Army instead in vast numbers.

Imagine the Green Arrow bombers as well taking German 20-30mm hits and
surviving well. It would have posed a great challenge to the Bf 109
and Fw-190 as well as the Me-262 and it could have been available as
early as 1943 w/o the escorts. It probably would have survived better.
But Hearst and DuPont (pro-Nazi) defeated the idea with the hemp
association which is moronic since US armed forces used hemp in
parachute rigging, ropes on ships, as synthetic lubricants, and other
uses.

That part of Ford history is never really mentioned. I have the Ford
Chronicle and other reference books and they omit the Hempmobile and
Ford's designs for the Chemurgian Bomber- Green Arrow. In fact,
Chemurgian technology is considered Ford's own project separate from
the company which is a lie.

Rob

Dweezil Dwarftosser

Dec 18, 2010, 11:35:32 AM12/18/10
In article <iehraq$ihp$2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

> "Dweezil Dwarftosser" <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

> >> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc. Then
> >> you
> >> will change your mind.
> >
> > Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of replacement
> > engines?
>
> Then buy a Ford. Yes, Henry Ford who promised the USA government he could
> build planes in car volumes - but refused to supply to the UK. Hence why
> Packard got the RR contract to build the Merlin.

Oh, they make nice cars (Crown Vic/Grand Marquis/Town Car, and some of
their SUV offerings) - but few can afford to keep them in repair when
they start going bad. If there's a possible way to make replacement of
a heater core into a major, two-day operation (instead of a twenty-
minute job), Ford found it, and exploited it as a means to keep their
dealerships' repair operations highly profitable.

> >> My fav car, although not quite yet on the market, is the Electric Chevy
> >> Volt. Most cars will be like this config in 5 years time.
> >
> > You might want to buy one outright, now - then wait for delivery.
> > Come January (when the less-communist Congress convenes),
>
> You are brainwashed.

Naw, I stopped watching the Obama show (all of the legacy media) in
December of 2008. Instead, I pay attention to the number of appointed
(and un-vetted) communists on the WH payroll - and, apparently for the
first time in recent history, so is the majority of the American public.
The lame-duck Marxist collaborators in our Congress have dramatically
shown - just in the last couple of days - their total contempt for the
Constitution and the American people. We're all waiting for January -
when the US can begin undoing the damage of the current regime.

> > the $30,000 per auto government subsidy is
> > certain to disappear. With luck, they'll close
> > down the production line, and you can get your purchase
> > price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly of the
> > century.
>
> Engineering is not your field for sure.

Sorry, but you're obviously unqualified to make such a determination.

Chevy tried another 40-mile range electric vehicle in the 1970s (sold
only in California) - and little has changed from the blueprints they
dusted off to build the Volt. It might work in Europe, where everyone
works within a few miles of where they live - but not here.

Schiffner

Dec 18, 2010, 12:56:12 PM12/18/10

You forgot the work he'd done with soy bean based plastics also...not
to mention soy lubricant's and fuel. Then again anyone with half a
brain knows that using food plants for fuel is losing proposistion.

Schiffner

Dec 18, 2010, 12:57:22 PM12/18/10
On Dec 18, 9:35 am, Dweezil Dwarftosser <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <iehraq$ih...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> xyxbayman...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

> > "Dweezil Dwarftosser" <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > xyxbayman...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

Sadly like many others you confuse fascist socialists with communists.

Peter Stickney

Dec 18, 2010, 1:19:14 PM12/18/10
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 21:43:15 -0800, Gordon wrote:

> On Dec 15, 9:11 pm, Eunometic <eunome...@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>> > Dean, I got it the old fashioned way -- eBay.  :)    $110 if you can
>> > believe it!   The instrument shop is converting the plug so I can use
>> > it in my Firebird.  Gear shift handle is kinda nice too  (control
>> > stick grip).
>>
>> I've often wanted a quad of 20mm guns to deal with idiots in the
>> traffic, now with a gyro site I could deal with them at 1000m.
>

> ...and do it in a 45 degree bank!
>
> seriously, the stick grip and the gunsight will be for looks during the

> Thursday night classic car cruise in Lemon Grove. Last year, I was in

> my 57 Morris Minor convertible which sadly got sold to help my poor

> divorce attorney afford a much needed vacation. My Firebird is a 73
> with about 10% to go to be finished. Working on "Leeeeeroyyyyyy" every
> day and I get a lot of fun out of it. I got it back on the 22 of
> November and so far am 3:0 with it (two modern Mustangs and a 77
> Camaro). License plate is "V8 Baby". If you can't come to San Diego
> to see it, you can still hear it in Los Angeles. Next up are replacing
> the rear shocks (it has that classic butt-low Firebird look) and
> bringing the whole car up two inches. In the olden days (1980s), I had
> spark plugs in each exhaust since Holly 750s blow a significant amount
> of unburnt fuel out the tail pipes. Not sure if I will do it again this
> time, but it does liven up downshifts coming off the highway....
> Decisions, decisions...

Sweet! I just wish there was a way to get Tank Boy's (The youngest brother)
'71 Chevelle 454 SS out there - You'd have him in the turns, but we've ripped
up pavement off the line. (All right, it was bad pavement, but pavement none
the less.)

> BTW, anyone have a lead on an MW-50 unit I could bolt on...?

As a matter of fact, indeed I do.
I had to rig up such a system for the White Sheep's (Brother #2, of the 4
of us, the one who didn't get caught) turbosupercharged 280Z.
It seems that at manifold pressures over 60", detonation does
Really Bad Things. (Like push piston rings out of the lands and
into the oil sump.)
So - I rigged up a system with pressure switches in the inlet
manifolds, and a spare windshield washer tank/pump assembly.
At the proper manifold pressure, the switches would turn on
the pump, which would pipe MW-50 into a spray bar downstream
of the turbocompressor's outlet. Took a little tuning to get the
flow rate right, but it worked really well.

We could even do GM-1, if you like.

--
Pete Stickney
Failure is not an option

Dweezil Dwarftosser

Dec 18, 2010, 1:38:53 PM12/18/10
steven...@hotmail.com says...

> > Naw, I stopped watching the Obama show (all of the legacy media) in
> > December of 2008.  Instead, I pay attention to the number of appointed
> > (and un-vetted) communists on the WH payroll - and, apparently for the
> > first time in recent history, so is the majority of the American public.
> > The lame-duck Marxist collaborators in our Congress have dramatically
> > shown - just in the last couple of days - their total contempt for the
> > Constitution and the American people.  We're all waiting for January -
> > when the US can begin undoing the damage of the current regime.
> >

> Sadly like many others you confuse fascist socialists with communists.

Hmmm. The phrase, "A distinction without a difference" comes to mind.

Peter Stickney

Dec 18, 2010, 4:28:32 PM12/18/10
On Sat, 18 Dec 2010 08:15:26 +0000, Bay Man wrote:

> "Dweezil Dwarftosser" <f4...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> xyxbay...@xyxmailinator.xyxcomnospam says...

>>> Look at an Aston Martin, Lotus, Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, etc.
>>> Then you
>>> will change your mind.
>>
>> Jags are cool, but who wants to cart around a trailerful of replacement
>> engines?
>
> Then buy a Ford. Yes, Henry Ford who promised the USA government he
> could build planes in car volumes - but refused to supply to the UK.
> Hence why Packard got the RR contract to build the Merlin.

Which is why both Ford France and British Ford obtained manufacturing
licenses for the Rolls Merlin.

In late 1939, the French Ford affiliate was approached by the French
Government to undertake production of Merlin engines. The U.S. Ford
headquarters dispatched an engineering team to France to assist with
evaluating the production potential. Due to a number of factors
(Production Engineering and design difficulties in the basic Merlin,
and the inability, for a variety of reasons for French Industry in
general to get off the dime) they weren't able to produce any engines.
At about the same time, The Air Ministry approached British Ford
to second-source Merlins. This, in fact, was done, after much grunting
and swearing. (Rolls really didn't know much about mass production,
and the Merlin required a lot of work to build on a high volume basis.)
At about the same time, the British Purchasing Commission approached
Edsel Ford (Henry's son, a pilot and aviation enthusiast) about producing
the Merlin in the U.S. This was agreed to by Edsel, and Rolls sent copies
of the Merlin drawings to Dearborn. (This wasn't a minor matter. There
are a lot of parts in a Merlin, and duplicating drawings was done by hand.)
When old Henry Ford found out about the agreement, he basically passed
down an edict that Ford would not build anything for a foreign
government. (Henry Ford was a strange combination of organizational
insight, pig-ignorance, and some of the nastiest sides of U.S. Midwestern
values of the time. It's really hard to say if his decision was based
on his affinity for Hitler, an earnest desire to keep the U.S. out of
a European conflict - He'd humiliated himself during the First World
Wat by single-handedly attempting to end it with a shipload of
platitudes- then too, the fact that it would **** off Roosevelt if he
didn't take the contract probably didn't hurt, either)
Note that this did not preclude British, French, Australian, or,
for that matter, German Ford subsidiaries from taking contracts
from their governments.
This killed the deal, although Ford was willing to build engines under
U.S. contract - this was before Lend-Lease.
Ford decided to proceed with the design of their own 12 cylinder
inline aircraft engine. In the event, this was never built, but the block
was cut down to 8 cylinders, and the supercharger removed,
(Much the same as the development of the Meteor tank engine from
the Merlin) and it became the basis of the Ford GAA engine used
in M4A3 and M26 tanks.

The British still were casting about for offshore Merlin production.
Packard, which had an excellent reputation for manufacturing quality
and engineering, and a track record in building large aircraft
engines,(The built a series of big V-12s in the 1920s, derivatives of
which were used through WW 2 to power PT boats) stepped forward, and
convinced Rolls that they could take on the job. Rolls, in fact,
ended up learning quite a bit about production line design, and
production engineering from Packard, and a number of Merlin
improvements (2-piece engine blocks, improved supercharger drives,
improved bearing technologies, and injection carburetors were Packard
improvements.

"The Merlin at War", by the Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust.

>> the $30,000 per auto government subsidy is certain to disappear. With
>> luck, they'll close down the production line, and you can get your
>> purchase price back, instead of being stuck with the automotive folly
>> of the century.
>
> Engineering is not your field for sure.

That's politics, not Engineering. Engineering tells you from
the beginning that self-contained electric personal vehicles aren't
a viable proposition (It's a question of storage density - you can't
beat the KW/L of liquid hydrocarbon with batteries), and if you
weren't otherwise coerced, no firm that had run the numbers would
be trying to build one.

Bay Man

Dec 18, 2010, 5:09:22 PM12/18/10

"Peter Stickney" <p_sti...@verizon.net> wrote in message

> Engineering tells you from
> the beginning that self-contained electric personal vehicles aren't
> a viable proposition

You don't know much about engineering do you?

Peter Skelton

Dec 18, 2010, 6:13:03 PM12/18/10
"Peter Stickney" wrote in message

>This was agreed to by Edsel, and Rolls sent copies

of the Merlin drawings to Dearborn. (This wasn't a minor matter. There
are a lot of parts in a Merlin, and duplicating drawings was done by hand.)

I find that rather strange. Blueprinting is a 19c process, and it was not
the first that could do the job. Certainly the shop copies used in
production and development were not originals. (IIRC Diazo copying was
coming in around 1940.)

Peter

Jim Wilkins

Dec 18, 2010, 8:23:31 PM12/18/10
On Dec 18, 6:13 pm, "Peter Skelton" <skelt...@cogeco.ca> wrote:

> of the Merlin drawings to Dearborn. (This wasn't a minor matter. There
> are a lot of parts in a Merlin, and duplicating drawings was done by hand.)
>
> I find that rather strange. Blueprinting is a 19c process, and it was not
> the first that could do the job. Certainly the shop copies used in
> production and development were not originals. (IIRC Diazo copying was
> coming in around 1940.)
>
> Peter

I've made a few old-style blueprints exposed in the sun, and plenty of
diazos, mostly of my own drawings.
Blueprint copies don't copy well themselves. You really need ink on
vellum (translucent cotton) to make good legible duplicates. Even
pencil tracings can have light areas that don't print well.

jsw

Dan

Dec 18, 2010, 8:37:09 PM12/18/10

Ah yes, the smell of ammonia.

Jim Wilkins

Dec 18, 2010, 9:21:22 PM12/18/10
On Dec 18, 8:37 pm, Dan <B24...@AOL.COM> wrote:
> On 12/18/2010 7:23 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
> ...> > ...diazos, ....>

> > jsw
>
>   Ah yes, the smell of ammonia.
> Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired-

Especially spilled ammonia, when you are the most junior draftsman
sent in to mop it up. This isn't the weak household stuff.

jsw

Dan

Dec 18, 2010, 9:29:26 PM12/18/10

That's when you learn the words to "The Mexican Hat Dance."

Ammonia, ammonia, ammonia,
Get off, get off, get off.....

With apologies to Mason Williams.