[W] VW FAQ -- General

Jan Vandenbrande

Nov 16, 1993, 5:05:04 PM11/16/93
Going thru my school account.
Having UseNet/email problems at work.
Will contact involved parties regarding parts I am selling shortly.

Frequently Asked Questions
for
Water Cooled VWs
-- General --
rec.autos.vw

Date: 1 November 1993
Version:
1 Feb 93 = tool places, other bbs's., Correction on T1/5 cars
1 Mar 93 = Updated recall info
1 Apr 93 = New categorization.
1 May 93 = Updated VIN, Platform types, edits.
1 Jun 93 = Music, GTI origins.
1 Jul 93 = Edits, half hearted index.
1 Aug 93 = Edits, new VIN categorization.
1 Sep 93 = More recall info.
1 Oct 93 = Edits.
1 Nov 93 = VIN # adjustments. Recall info updates. Edits.

Initiator's Note: Please feel free to submit any additional info.

Jan Vandenbrande
j...@ug.eds.com (new address)
j...@camhpp12.mdcbbs.com (old address)
j...@lipari.usc.edu (school address, works)
See also the list of contributors at the end.
Familiar with: 78R, 81S, 84S, 86GTI, 90G60, 92SLC, 92P
=====
General (Info sources, archives, VIN #, Part/Perf places)
Common Problems (Recall info, common VW ailments, Resetting oxy sensor)
Interchanging Parts/Tools (substituting parts & tools)
Fuel Injection (Types used by VW)
Recommendations (people's opinions on VWs over the years)
VW Types (The VW Family)

GENERAL
=======

Q: Where can I get "general" info on cars?
A: See Richard Welty's FAQ postings in rec.autos.* first.

Q: Are there any archives about VW/procedures/technical data?
A: Yes! They are currently being worked on by Jan & Dan & others?
Currently available from:

NEW FTP SITE:
ftp ftp.lap.umd.edu
/pub/vw-archives

Other (e-mail, non-automated):

v...@danix.uucp or vw%danix...@uunet.uu.net = VW archives
(PS, da...@ans.net is Dan's work address, no archives there!)

[j...@ug.eds.com also has a copy/originals?]

Send e-mail & specify the filenames in the body of the message.
Note that we do NOT have an automatic mailer, this is
all done manually!
Please specify the files EXACTLY as they are spelled,
and give your full e-mail address (it sometimes gets
corrupted).

Additional contributions are welcome.
We will be publishing these tips on a regular basis,
and welcome any additions or edits.
Note that this list does not reflect frequent edits.

New ones
Old ones

A3_CrashTest = Notes on A3 Crash tests (Europe)
Adjust_Linkages = Notes on adjusting shift linkages
Anti_Freeze = r.a posting on coolant. What it is etc.
Boge_probs = Problem with rear Boge shocks
Carb_Tuning = Old fashioned method of tuning a carb
Carb_to_FI = How to convert to FI
Coding_Radios = How to code Heidelberg Radios
Corrado_Power_Upgrades = Summary of available G60/SLC/VR6 Power Upgrades
EngineSwaps = Info on swapping engines
ExhaustAnalyzer = How to make an Exhaust analyzer with an O2 sensor
Exhausts = Notes on exhausts (Gill, Leis, Stock, SuperT, etc)
G60_Chip_Specs = G60 ECU EPROM Specs.
*G60_Power_Upgrades= See Corrado_Power_Upgrades
G60_Xmission_Mods = How to improve shifting in Corrado G60s (weight)
IdleStabilizer = How to check/fix IS Valve on A2 cars
Instrument_Lights = Experiences on changing them in A2 Jetta
Octane_Ratings = Octane ratings US vs Rest of World
Passat_restrictor = Remove air intake restrictor for more power (G60, SLC)
Radar_Frequencies = Radar frequencys US & Europe
Rear_Brakes_Tool = Tool required to replace rear pads on newer VWs
Repco_MetalMasters = Experiences with these brake pads
Replacing_Fuel_Filters = For an A-2 car.
SeatBelt_Retrofit = How to retrofit 2-point belts with 3-point belts.
Slick50 = Articles on PTFE (Teflon tm) oil additives
Suspension_Mods = Experiences & explanations.
Swap_Lock_Tumblers = How to swap lock tumblers
Synthetic_Oils = Technical papers on oils
UK_VW_Tuners = VW tuners in the UK
VW_Mechanics = People's opinions on VW Mechanics in the US
a1-mounts = Changing A1- motor mounts
a1.struts = Struts on early Rabbit/Jetta/Scirocco
a2-cam-follow = How to fix valve ticking in GTIs
alignment = Shade tree alignment notes
antenna = Problem fixes for Fuba antenna
bearings = Analysing and fixing wheel bearing problems
collins_1 = R.Collins (ex Drake employee) on VW performance
collins_2 (mostly A1 & A2 GTIs)
collins_3
collins_4
collins_5
collins_misc1 = Misc. R.Collins communications.
collins_misc2
cv_joints
fan = Problems with resistor pack/fixes
faq.ra.1 = Usenet rec.auto.* series/policies (Richard Welty)
faq.ra.2 = Automotive Mailing Lists
faq.ra.3 = Automotive Articles Archive Server
faq.ra.4 = FAQ 2
faq.ra.5 = FAQ 2
faq.ra.6 = Setting up mailservers
faq.tires = General info on tires (draft)
faq.vw.general = This file
faq.vw.tech = The technical VW faq
fog_driv_lights = Notes on fog/driving/H4 A2 retrofit lights
gauges = How to install
gli_tranny = How to change fluid etc
heater_core = Problems, recall info
knock_sensor = Knock sensor probs
leaks = Water leaking into cars (Jettas/Others)
mfa.test = Additional functions of the Multi-Function Analyser
oil = Problems/causes of low oil pressure buzzer warnings
oil_filter_vw = Dissection of VW vs FRAM oil filter
oilpressure = How to measure, known problems
oxysensor = How to reset light
shocks_jan = Shock changing procedure (Jan's version)
shocks_mark = Shock changing procedure (Mark's version)
specs = Some engine specs.
speedo.fix = How to fix broken gear
splash = How to fix belt squeal on later models
tranny.lube = Choices and recommendations
upshift.light = How to fix

Q: Are there other VW related mailing lists or bulletin board systems?
A: Yes! See Richard Welty's occasional postings on that. In case you missed
them, here are a couple of relevant ones.

Audi (send requests to quattro...@aries.east.sun.com)
Autocross/Solo (send requests to autox-...@hoosier.cs.utah.edu)
BMW (send requests to bmw-r...@cabot.balltown.cma.com)
Porsches (send requests to porschephi...@tta.com)
Rally (send requests to rally-...@stratus.com)
VW (send requests to info-vw...@ames.arc.nasa.gov
Note r.a.vw replaced this mailing list, though it still exists)

PRODIGY: [JUMP]:VW (? never checked this)
CompuServe: GO VW (? never checked this)

Note from Cont Tim Hogard:
GO VW will just tell you all about what VW America wants you to know
and you can't leave messages to people in the know.
It is not worth the time.

Q: Where are the VW GIF/JPEG sites (pictures)?
A: There are many anonymous ftp sites with pictures.
For more info on pictures, formats, etc, check out the FAQ
in any of the UseNet *.graphics.* or *.pictures.* groups.
The following have pics of VWs (warning, these files take up ALOT of
space):

ftp.funet.fi /pub/pics/gifs/pics/machines/cars/VW
wuarchive.wustl.edu /graphics/gif

INet Addresses:
128.252.135.4 wuarchive.wustl.edu
128.214.6.100 nic.funet.fi (same as ftp.funet.fi)

Q: What does [W] and [A] mean in the UseNet posting headers?
A: [W] = Watercooled subjects.
[A] = Aircooled subjects.
Please use this to allow people to filter out irrelevant articles.

Q: What are the best manuals for my car?
A: Robert Bentley Manuals: "Official Factory Manuals" series.
Available from the publisher (800) 423-4595, (216) 572-0725 (?)
1000 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02138
(617) 547-4170
VW & other US mailorder houses.
Currently NOT available outside North America.
Covers ONLY cars sold in the US & Canada.
NOTE according to (rgo...@UMASSD.EDU) there are TWO types of
Bentley manuals:
VW Service Manual= Aimed for amateurs (us!)
VW Repair Manual= Geared for experienced/professionals

John Muir: "Complete Idiot Guide to keep your water cooled VW alive".
(Rumored to be out of print, A-1 cars only, but has lots of
advice/procedures that are still valid today)
John Muir Publications Inc., Box 613, Santa Fe, NM 87504
(800) 888 9079 (?)
or try Classic Motorbooks, or KdF Enterprises?

Greg Raven: "Volkswagen Water-Cooled, Front-Drive Performance Book"
Available from US mailorder houses.

Haynes: "Modify Your Golf/GTI" (available from Rapid Parts)
"VW Service Manual".
Also available outside North America.

Chiltons: "", not recommended (?)

Caveat: For regular service, my personal [jan] preference goes to
Bentley (old style), Muir (A1 cars), Bentley (new style).
For newer cars, I look in the older books which gives detailed
instructions, than turn to the new style Bentleys and try to
figure out what to do there.
Back issues of EuroCar/VW&P & ?? (=British car mag) also
contain detailed tech procedures that may be of use.
I have both Haynes and Chiltons, and find them entertaining
but never use them.
Naturally, your preferences may vary.

Bentley: "Bosch Fuel Injection and Engine Management", Charles
Probst, available from Classic Motorbooks and others.
More of a specialized book.

Q: Can I get VW Service Bulletins?
A: YES, and you can get the index for free!
Pick a flyer from your VW dealer or call: (800) 544 80 21
The bulletins are referred to by a "V" group number - year - index
e.g., V13-91-06
The actual bulletins cost $4.00 for the first, US$2.00 for each
subsequent one. You can also order a yearly subscription, in
which case they also send you a library of all microfilmed repair
manuals.

Q: What periodicals are worth reading and are relevant to VW?
A: US: European Car (formerly VW Porsche): Argus Publishers Corp,
P.o. Box 452, Mt. Morris, IL 61054-0452
800-877-5602.
Most relevant mag in US, [W-VWs & other European cars]

Hot VWs [A some W]

VW Trends, McMullen Publishing, P.O. Box 70015, Anaheim, CA 92825-0015
(714) 635-9040, $18.95 US/year, [A some W]

UK: VW Motoring, Stoke Orchard, Cheltenham, GL52 4SX. UK. [A & W]
+ 44 242 676020 (For the non-technical, this is the telephone number)
24 UKPound/year

Volkswagen Audi Car, Autometrix Ltd, Todington, Bedfordshire, UK.
+ 44 5255 4019 [W mostly]. Good mag but pricey.
40 UKPound/year

D: Auto Motor und Sport, DPV, Postfach 10 16 02, 2000 Hamburg 1, Germany,
--general info but great...if you know German
Gute Fahrt

AUS: ????, GPO Box 257c, Melbourne, Vic. 3001, Austrailia

SF: Kupla (for Tom's sake ;->, probably Finnish, this list is world wide)

Q: Are there any VW clubs?
A: Yes. Here's the address:

Volkswagen Club of America, Inc.
P.O. Box 154, Dept. P
North Aurora, IL 60542-0154, USA

President: Shell Tomlin, 1554 Roanoke Ave., Aurora, IL 60506, 708 896-2803
Vice Pres: Phil Williame, 4442 N. McVicker, Chicago, IL 60630 312 283-7323
Secretary: Barbara Boltz, 11007 S. Harding, Chicago, IL 60655 312 239-2685
Membership: Lynida Tomlin 1554 Roanoke Ave., Aurora, IL 60506, 708 896-2803

Canadian Volkswagen Enthusiasts Association
CVEA
P.O. Box 2137
Kingston, Ontario
K7L 5J9, Canada
(613) 544 4412

SCCA, (General Car Club), USA, (800) 255 5550

Q: What's A-1 and the A-2 designations mean I see all the time?
A: The A-1 and A-2 designate the platform/generation the car is
based upon.
A-1 (or Mark-1) were the first generation water cooled VWs such
as the Rabbit/Golf I, Jetta I, Cabriolet, and Scirocco I & II.
A-2 based VWs are the Golf II, Jetta II, and the Corrado.
A-3 is the latest platform, which includes the Golf III, Jetta III/
Vento, and the yet to be released new Cabriolet.
VWs based on the same platform share many of the same components such
as suspension components (rear torsion beam, sway bars).
This however does not imply that the engines are the same within
one platform.
Within one platform, many different engines are available (mostly
Europe...the old Golfs came with anything from a 1.1l to an 1.8l,
including diesels), and accross different platforms you may also
find many of same engines (the 2.0l 16V is used in the A2 Golf GTIs and
the B3 Passats).
Therefore similar engines will share similar parts, and certain
improvements from one platform can often be transformed to the other
(e.g. exhaust manifolds from an 81 GTI to an 84 S).
There's a complete list by Tom H at the end. It includes Euro & US models!

Q: What is captured in the US Vehicle Identification Number?
A: Sample US V.I.N. :
Breakdown of VIN number for Volkwagen Products up to Model Year 1989
(actually later than that (Ed.))
[From: Joe Angerstein, joc...@bjsys.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca]

FIELDS IN THE VIN

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
|__|__|__| |__|__|__|__|__| |__| |__|__|__|__|__|__|__|__|

FIELD FIELD FIELD FIELD
1 2 3 4 5 6

_________ _________ ___________ __________
|Manufac'r| |Bodystyle| |Engine Type| |Restrained|
| Make | |by Model | ----------- | System
--------- --------- -----------
___ Passenger Listed by ___
_ |1VW| US Vehicles increasing |0| Active
| |___|Pass.Car ---------- horsepower ___
| ___ ___ available |2| Passive-fixed
|- |WVW| Europe |A| 2-dr Economy for each ___
| |___|Pass.Car ___ model |4| Motorized
| ___ |B| 2-dr Custom A - lowest ___
|- |WV1| Europe ___ H/P Gas |9| Passive
| |___|Truck |C| 2-dr Deluxe
VW- | ___ ___ G - Lowest
|- |WV2| Europe |D| 2-dr Sports H/P Diesel
| |___|MPV
| ___ ___
|- |3VW| Mexico |E| 4-dr Economy
| |___|Pass.Car ___
| ___ |F| 4-dr Custom
|- |9BW| Brazil ___
|___|Pass.Car |G| 4-dr Delux
___
Audi -|WAU| Europe ___
|___|Pass.Car |H| 16V / Turbo

___
|K| 2-dr Sedan
___
|P| 4-dr Sedan (Base)
___
|R| 4-dr Sedan (Upgrade)
___
|T| 4-dr Sedan (Upgrade)

Transporter /
Vanagon
___
|U| 2-dr Pickup
___
|V| 3-dr Double Cab Pickup
___
|W| 3-dr Del'y Van
___
|X| 3-dr Window Van
___
|Y| 3-dr Bus
___
|Z| 3-dr Camper

----

FIELD FIELD FIELD FIELD
7 8 9 10 11

_______ _____ _____ ____________
| Model | |Check| |Model| |Plant of |
------- |digit| |Year | |Manufacturer|
____ ----- ----- ------------
____ per B=1981 B = Brussels
____ Code D=1983 G = Gratz
____ VW ex Mexico F=1985 K = Osnabrueck
|1H| VW Golf/Jetta(93 MY) G=1986 M = Mexico
(inc Mexico?) H=1987 N = Neckarsulm
____ J=1988 P = Brazil
____ L=1990 V = Westmoreland
____ N=1992
|24| VW Transporter P=1993
(Pickups, Multivan) R=1994 (?)
____ S=1995
|25| VW Transporter (Vans) T=1996
VW Vanagon
____
____
____
____
____
____

____
____
____
____
____
____
____
____
____
|8B| Audi Coupe

----

FIELD
12,13,14,
15,16,17
_____________
|Sequential |
|Production No|
-------------

The old one... Haven't reconciled the two yet:

This is obviously one from a '90 German build VW Corrado build at
Karmann, with the second strongest engine (G60) and motorized belts.

Country of Origin Check Digit
/ / Model Year
/ / /
W V W D B 4 5 0 8 L K 0 1 2 3 4 5
Digit # 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
\
Assembly Plant

Code Country of Origin Code Model Year
1 United States B 1981
2 Canada C 1982
3 Mexico D 1983
4 United States E 1984
6 Australia F 1985
J Japan G 1986
K Korea H 1987
L Taiwan J 1988
S England K 1989
V France or Yugoslavia L 1990
W Germany M 1991
Y Sweden N 1992
Z Italy P 1993
B Brazil (?)

Code Digit #3: Vehicle Type Code Digit #4: Line & Body Tp
W Passenger Car A 2 Door
1/2 Truck B Sedan 2 door
F Hatch Back 2Dr (?)
K Pick Up
Code Digit #5: Engine M Sport Truck
N Station Wagon
X Combi
Y Bus
Z Camper

Code Digit #6: Restraint Type
0 Active
4 Motorized seat belts
9 Passive

Code Assembly Plant (Mfg specific) Code Digit #7-8: Car Type
K Osnabrueck/Karmann 15 Convertible
V Westmoreland 16 Jetta
W Wolfsburg 17 Golf II
E Emden 53 Scirocco I
H Hannover 32 Quantum
A Ingolstadt 50 Corrado
B Brussels (?) 78 Passat
G Graz
M Mexico
N Neckarsulm
P Brazil
S Stuttgart
Y Spain

NOTE: The letters "I" and "O" in the Model Year table above have been
skipped, probably to avoid confusion with the digits "1" and "0"
respectively.

NOTE: Many other nation use the Chassis number only, and they can often
be found stamped somewhere on the car's body, usually in the engine
compartment. The format is very similar. Example 81 S:

W V W Z Z Z 5 3 z B K 0 1 2 3 4 5

Q: What are VWs OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturer)?
A: VW makes cars, which is an assembly of components, but not all
components are made by VW. In fact, VW makes mainly the body and
the power train, the rest they buy from elsewhere.
The OEM parts can often be had for less than buying the same VW part.
Most of the ones listed below will have a VW part number, but
are also to be had directly from the OEM w/o the VW part number.
For example MANN makes VW filters with the VW label, but the
same filter also exists with the MANN label.
In other cases, VW uses parts w/o restamping or hiding the OEM
name for marketing reasons, e.g., Recaro seats, BBS rims.
The OEM suppliers are (not exhaustive, changes frequently):

M.A.N.N. Oil & Air Filters
Fichtel & Sachs Clutches, shocks on some cars
Gillet Exhaust (at least at some point)
Loebro CV Joints
Bosch Many of the electronic components (e.g. Alternator)
Fuel, other filters, FI, antenna
Fuba Roof mounted antenna (flexible one)
FAG Brake components, master cylinders
Hirschmann Antennas, some VWs
Motorola Alternator in some US made cars
Hella Lights, markers, bulbs
Boge Shocks & components
Beru Electrical components (rotor, cap)
Sofica Radiators, Heater cores (French), prone to leaks
Kesley-Hayes Front Brake calipers most > 81 cars
Teves Rear disc brakes (GTIs, GLIs, Corrado)
Girling Front disc brakes < 81, F&R on Passat, Rear 16V GTIs
Ronal Alloy rims some Audis/VWs
ATE Brake components (master cylinder)
Note: ATE = Albert Teves, div IT+T
VDO,MotoMeter Gauges
Boka Waterpump, Mexican made VWs
BBS Rims, some cars, not restamped
Recaro Seats, some cars, not restamped
Sekurit Windshield, windows
Hengst Oil filters VR6
Glazurit/Hoechst/BASF Brand of paint used.
Unclear who produces water based paints in newer VWs
TRW Power steering pumps
Matsushita Heidelberg (VI & others) radios.
Continental Drive Belts

Q: Where can I get cheaper/used parts? (Note many sell the same
OEM parts VW uses. Ask for them! rather than another brand).
A: BMVW: 404-964-1376 (general), 404-969-1729 (recycled)
Campbell/Nelson(WA): 800-552-2999

Euro Carparts (UK): +44 81-963-0555 (finally an European entry!)

Recycled VWs (MI): (313) 373-2300, Used VWs only junkyard, H2O VWs mainly
Wolf Sport (CA): (415) 924 83 12 (info), (800) 34-BUNNY (orders)
(415) 924 79 70 (fax)

NEW/CHEAP:
J.C. Whitney (IL): 1917-19 Archer Avenue, P.O. Box 8410,
Chicago Illinois 60680
(Note! Some parts are NOT factory replacements.
Catalog prices != Actual, catalogs are free.
Quality varies. Be aware of shipping/trucking costs. JV)
Rapid Parts (NY): 321 Route 59,P.O. Box 371, Tallman, NY 10982,
Store Hours M-S (EST/EDT) 9 am - 6 pm
914-357-6611 (lots of cheap replacement parts)
WholeSale Import Prts (WA): (206) 643 33 50

>>>OTHERS/MAILORDER?

Q: Where can I get performance parts? Who are the VW tuners?
Where I can I get more info on products?
A:
AMSOIL (?): Oil, 1 micron Filters.
715-393-7101
APS (CA): Automotive Performance Systems,
1464 N Hundley, Anaheim: (714) 630 11 44,
(800) 423-3623 (orders only)
Maker of Neuspeed products (very high quality)
Parts usually fit in stock positions.
Sales people sometimes rude.
Main Technician: Aaron Neuman.
AutoBahn Designs: Body parts & other
2900 Adams Str, Suite B27, Riverside, CA, 92504
(909) 351 95 66
AutoTech (CA): 32240 E Paseo Adelanto, San Juan Capistrano:
(714) 240 4000 (tech), (800) 553 10 55 (Order)
Good products in general.
AutoThority (VA): 3769-B Pickett Rd, Fairfax, VA 22031
703-323-0919 (Power Chips)
Bellevue Motor Sports: 13500 Bel-Red Rd., Bellevue, WA 98005
(206) 747 FAST
Bilstein (CA): 8845 Rehco Rd, San Diego, CA 92121
(619) 453 77 23; (203) 265 28 54
Bosch/Blaupunkt: (800) 323 1943; 312.865.6444; 312.865.5488
2800 S 25th Ave, Broadview, IL60153
Castrol (NJ): Oil Co., (201) 633 22 00
Drake: Do they still exist?
Eurorace (CA): 190th near Hawthorne Blvd, Redondo Bch, CA
(800) 722 86 78; (310) 376 02 47.
NOTE: Occasional troublesome.
EuroSport (CA): 4879 E La Palma, Anaheim, CA 92807,
VW performance mods. Ask for Raffi.
(714) 693 08 30, (800) 783 38 76, (714) 693 08 64 (fax)
Halsey Import Parts: 7721 N.E. Halsey Portland, OR 1-800--792-0081
JT Automotive (CA):Sells ABT parts
8811 Garvey ave. Unit 101, Rosemead, CA, 91770
(818) 573-8036, (818) 573 85 27 (fax)
MECA Cooling Company: 255 Route 41 North, Sharon, CT 06069
(203) 364-5130, Fax: (203) 364-0888
Sell propyleen glycol & special oil filters.
New Dimensions (CA): Shop & Parts (Chris Lagatuta)
2240 De La Cruz Blvd, Santa Clara, CA, 95050
800-637-2781, 408-980-1691, 408-980-1697 (fax)
Computer Bulletin Board (408) 980 88 30
Northern Imports: Any experiences with these guys as yet?
Mobil (PA): Oil, (800) 662 45 25
OilScan (??): Kit to perform oil analysis for about US$20.
PlainWrap Perf (CA): Discount Neuspeed parts,
7603 Firestone, Downey, (310) 608 12 43 (orders)
1111 Walnut Str, Compton (warehouse) (310) 604 09 70
(Levin Bldg, ask for Greg or Steve)
Note that their actual office is in Compton
Rapid Parts (NY): 914-357-6611
Knowledgeable and good.
RedLine (CA): (Synthetic Oils)
3450 Pacheco Blvd. Martinez, CA 94553
(510) 228-7576, (800) 624-7958
or in Canada
Priddle Motorsport, Scarborough, Ontario
416-286-6544, fax: 416-267-3227
Ron's Parts Inc: Parts & shop. Drops VR6's into Golfs.
#6-#7 1610 Langan Ave, Port Coquitlam, BC V3C 1K6
(604) 944 04 94, (604) 944 17 97 (fax)

SuperChips Inc: Sells Power Chips (8V, 16V, VR6).
1958 N. County Rd 427, Longwood FL, 32750,
(407) 260 08 38, (407) 260 91 06 (fax)
Synthoil (ID): Oil. (800) 843 7733 (order), (208) 336 8600
TechTonics (OR): P.O.Box 295, Sheridan, OR 97378,
(503) 843-2700, (503) 843 3933 (fax)
Maker of performance parts.
VDO/YAZAKI Co.: 980 Brooke Rd, P.O. Box 2897, Winchester, VA
(703) 665-0100 FAX (703) 662-2515
455 Welham Rd, Box 8700, Barrie, Ontario, Canada L4M4V3
(705) 722-6400 FAX (705) 722-4407
VW Motorsport (D): Ikarusallee 34, 30179 Hannover, Germany
05 11 / 6 74 94 22, 05 11 / 6 74 94 88
05 11 / 63 40 88 (?)
Zender (NC): Body parts & performance parts
700 Pressley Rd., Charlotte, NC 28217
(704) 525 05 39, (800) 832 24 11

In the UK, see UK_VW_Tuners in the VW archives.

Q: Where can I get special VW tools?
A:
Assenmacher Specialty Tools: 6440 Odel Place,Boulder CO 80301,
(303)530-2424, toll free (800) 525 29 43,fax 530-4720
Griot's Garage: 1-800-345-5789
Mac Tools:
Schley Products: (Tools) 5350 E. Hunter Ave, Anaheim Hills, CA 92807-2053
(714)693 76 66
Sears: tranny drain plug wrench (hex, 17mm)
Snap-On Tools:
S&K Tools:
Zelinda Machine Tools Corp, 66-02 Austin St, Forest Hills NY 11374,
(718)896 22 88

Caveat: Often a suitable replacement for these tools can be easily made.

MAILORDER RENTAL
----------------
Recycled VWs (MI): (313) 373-2300

>>>OTHERS/MAILORDER?

Q: What are VW's related numbers and addresses?
A: VWoA = (800) 822 VW US or (800) 822 89 87
(800) 544 80 21 for service publications (see above)

Pres. Bill Young | 3800 Hamlin Rd VWoA Auburn Hills MI 48326
Dr. Ferd. Piech | Postfach VWAG-TK-24 3180 Wolfsburg I Germany

Volkswagen Canada INC, 1940 Eglinton Avenue East, Scarborough ON, M1L 2M2
Canada, 416-288-3000, Fax: 416-288-3298, Telex: 06-963588

Guaranteed Mobility/Roadside Assistance Program,
refere to the owners warranty manual for further information
(USA and Canada only):
Volkswagen: (800) 263-7601
Audi: (800) 461-2834

VW Protection Plus Program (for 93+ VWs):
For more info call: (800) DRIVE VW

The address of the "VW World" publications/subscription dept.
(free for new VW owners, 20US$/7years for others):
Volkswagen World Headquarters
POBox 2012
Bloomfield Hills, MI 48303-2012

VW Mobility Access Program (disability): (800) 444 89 87

Q: What does 'Fahrvergnuegen' mean (current commercial jingle in NA)?
A: Fahrvergnuegen (with ue=u") means 'pleasure of driving', and VW claims
it can only be experienced in a VW. I think most of us could find
similar pleasure in a 911 Turbo, though :-).

Q: Who did the music on the US/Canada VW commercial?
A: "Harry's Game" from the album "Anam" on Atlantic Records
by the Irish group Clannad.

Q: What does GTI, GLI and so on mean?
A: L = Luxe (base model)
LS = Luxe Special, couple more do-dads
GT = Grand Tourisme, better equiped &
usually a larger engine than the "L" series
GL = Grand Luxe (geared for more luxury), basically == GT
GTI/GLI = Originally, the fuel injected version of a GT/GL
which means it produced alot more power. With most cars
FI, the GTI/GLI designation means a more powerful engine
in a GT/GL model, sometimes also with a better suspension.
Note that originally, GLI != Jetta, as the case in the USA.
SL = Serie Limite' (limited series), like the Karmann series in US
Really a variation on a GT.
GTX = Same as GTI but used in Europe and elsewhere.
G40/60 = GT version with VWs G-type supercharger. The number
is the width of the G-charger (lader in D) coil in millimeters.
For those who aren't aware, the G40 is used on some Polos,
the G60 on Passats and Corrados.
VR6 = Cars based on the new staggered 6 cylinder engine
(in-line-V-6).
SLC = Sport Luxury Coupe, the VR6 equiped Corrado in the US.

Originally, all European VWs were carburated, except those with the
"I" or "i" and a few rare cases with an "E" for "einspritz", designation
which had a more powerful fuel injected engine, a "GT" set-up,
and some more sporty equipment (suspension, guages).
In the US, VW switched over to FI around 78, and in Europe a bit later
(with mono-throttle FI) which meant that all cars really counted as
"I" models.
GTI/GLI now just means that the car has a more powerful engine and a
sportier set-up.

Note also that the US, only gets the two top of the line VWs
from their larger mass produced series (but not the Polo).
Certain special models, such as the Golf G60 Synchro, the US will
never see, and it is currently debatable whether the VR6 Golf
will ever make it here.
In Europe, VWs came with anywhere from 1100, 1300 to
2900 cc engines. The US never saw the 1100 & the 1300's and only sees
a slightly scaled down version of the 2900.

COMMON PROBLEMS & RECALLS
=========================

Q: How do I obtain NHTSA (Recall) information (USA)?
A: Call (800) 424-9393 (selection menu 1-2-)
They have info on: 1) Recall Info on cars
2) Child Safety Seat Recall
3) Crash Test Report
4) Tire Quality Grading
5) Other Safety Info
6) Rear seat retrofit kit
9) Repeat menu

Note: The above service is TERRIBLY inefficient...after 3 tries I still
have not received the info I requested on my Corrado.
I guess the person there can't read or write.
A Corrado is not a Cabriolet. Makes you wonder how many other
morons work there. [Jan]

Q: What are the known defects for the VW product line?
A: Following is an unverified and incomplete list.
The ????'s indicate unconfirmed or second hand info.
Recalls are mostly for the US/Canada.
Mostly > 1980 model years are covered.

RECALLS:
========

From: joc...@bjsys.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca, additions from "old list"
by Jan (still needs a bit of reformatting).

Summary of some recall campaigns, service actions, pre delivery campaigns
for volkswagen models. This may not apply to some vehicles in CANADA or
the United STATES, as some campaigns are not implemented in the respective
countries. This list may NOT be ACCURATE, for the correct information always
refere to you local dealer, who will be able to check for any outstanding
campaigns for vehicle.

Please note, that the biggest problem for any manufacturer is the notifcation
of the owners. Please advise them of the purchase of the vehicle, if the
vehicle is used from a non VW dealer or private source and any
addresse changes. Again, your local dealer is more then willing to help you
in this matter.

Type YY FROM/TO VIN DESCRIPTION CODE DATE

FOX
----

Fox 87 9BW--030-HP000001/ Replacement of crankshaft PM 12/87
9BW--030-HP026007 pulley

Fox 87-89 9BW-A030-HP000001/ Inst. of steering wheel QD 04/89
9BW-A030-KP009988 spring retainer + lock nut

GOLF
-----

Golf 85 1VW--017-FV007583/ Checking dust sleeves NJ 06/85
1VW--O17-FV017394 of front brake caliper

Golf 85 1VW--017-FV000001/ Replacing front seat belts MP 05/85
1VW--017-FV003370

Golf 85-87 1VW--017-FV000001/ Inspect/replace EGR valve PD 04/87
1VW--017-HV036149 on vehicles with auto transmisson

Golf 86 1VW--017-GV033771/ Replace fuel transfer pump + PC 07/87
1VW--017-GV047000 filter

Golf 87 1VW--017-HV032808/ Replace filler neck, sending PA ??/??
1VW--017-HV054650 unit and gasket

Golf 85/86 1VW--017-FV000001/ Replacing fuel tank assembly NV 06/86
Diesel 1VW--017-GV033970

Golf/Auto 88 1VW--017-JV000001/ Installation of starter PV 06/89
MOD 17----63 1VW--017 JV017457 support bracket

Golf/GTI 85/86 1VW--017-FV000001/ Replacing fuel tank assembly NV 06/86
GAS 1VW--017-GV033970

GTI 86 1VW--017-GV000001/ Check torque of rear NZ 10/86
1VW--017-GV074477 axle bracket bolt

Golf 88-92 SK Recall Fuel hose & clamps replacement SK
Cars equiped with Digifant

JETTA
------

Jetta 81-87 WVWG--16-BW000001/ Inspect/replace EGR valve PD 04/87
WVWG--16-HW540014 on vehicles with auto transmisson

Jetta 83/84 WVW--O16-DW402800/ Checking / replacing front NS 11/85
WVW--016-EW170305 brake hoses

Jetta 85-87 WVW--016-FW000001/ Replacing fuel transfer PC 07/87
WVW--016-HW359885 pump and filter

Jetta 88 WVW--016-JW700001/ Inspect / replacing QA 11/88
WVW--016-JW734535 brake booster

Jetta 88-92 SK Recall Fuel hose & clamps replacement SK
Cars equiped with Digifant
CABRIOLET
---------

86AUG-89AUG RS Recall (91V201000) - Replace cracked fuel tanks
89AUG-90NOV RH Recall (91V162000) - Reinforce water separation panel
bracket
85JUL-92JUL SA Recall (92V058000) - Fuel hose & line replacements
89AUG-90JUL RN Recall (91V215000) - Secure passive restraint wires

SCIROCCO
---------

Scir. 83/84 WVW--053-DK017368/ Checking / replacing front NS 11/85
WVW--053-EK038276 brake hoses

Scir. 85-87 WVW--053-FK000001/ Replacing fuel transfer PC 07/87
WVW--053-HK008693 pump and filter

CORRADO
-------

90 G60: RG Recall (91V068000) - Replace fuel pump assembly
90 G60: QY Recall - Replace headlight switch
90 G60: RT Recall - Steering rack repair

90-92 G60 & VR6 SH Recall - Fuel hose & clamps replacement
(G60 & VR6)

92-93 VR6 SQ Recall - Secure Engine Compartment Electrical Wiring
and Affix Vacuum Hose Routing Label
PASSAT
------

9? Passat RY-12 thru 15 Recalls: ECU, trans filter & gas & elec
lines tied down. Check which recall is relevant
to your car.
90-92 Passat/Auto RZ Recall - Emission Recall, hesitation during the
upshift cycle of xmission. Install improved engine
management components.
93 Passat GLX SG Recall - Fuel hose & clamps replacement
SR Recall - Replace Self-Locking Nut/Washer
Assemblies on Both Front Suspension Struts
SW Recall - Replace rear window regulators after failure.
Still not an official recall.

VANAGON/CAMPERS
----------------

Vana. 81 WV2ZA025-BH003450/ Check / replace fuel MD ??/81
WV2ZA025-BH098864 expansion tank

Vana. 81-82 WV2--02--BH143904/ Replacing sliding NC 09/84
WV2--02--CH154356 door lock springs

Vana. 86 WV---02--GG000001/ Replace filler neck, PA 11/87
WV---02--GG118815 sending unit and gasket

Vana. 86-87 WV---02--G-000001/ Replace fuel tank, PB 08/87
WV---02--H-064100 main & idle control unit

Vana/Camp 87 WV2--025-HO051294/ Inspect/seal water inlet PL 12/88
WV2--025-H-999999 housing

Vana/Camp 88 WV2--025-JH000001/ Inspect/seal water inlet PL 12/88
MOD 2539 WV2--025-JH003998 housing

Vana/Camp 85 WV2-A025-FH000001/ Checking / modify sliding NR 04/86
WV2-A025-FH115553 door striker plate

Other Known Failures/Old List:
==============================

83-86 GTI, GLIs, 84-86 Cabriolets, ????? Sciroccos ????:
Self Machining Transmission due to lack of snap rings on the
differential shafts.
See April 1990, EuroCar pp 53, "VW 020 Gearbox Failures: Causes and
Cures".
Starting at serial number 15102 (built after october 14th 1982)
Serial numbers up to 14102, (built up to October 14,1982) are immune.
VW part#171-498-088 offers the clips as part of the rebuild kit.
Gear oil leaking under the tranny, or strange noises are first signs,
between 50k and 120k miles.
NO RECALL! Sue VW. Techtonics Tuning is recommended by
VW&P to fix self-machined cases (probably because they wrote the
article).

78-8? R/J I Fuel pump relay recall. Fries itself. FI cars only.
Fix = move relay for better cooling.
87-89 Jetta &
84 GTI &
83-84 Scirocco? Front brake line recall.

85-? Golf &
Jetta, GTI/GLI Heater Core failure. Recall.
89-90? Jetta: RT Recall - Leaking steering rack recall?

85-91 Golf II &
Jetta II, GTI/GLI Rough cold idle & stalling problems. Several causes
see the technical FAQ for possible diagnosis.

85-?86 GTI/GLI Recall RC, Code PC 13: Transfer pump failure.
85-?86 Golf ?Recall PC?: Clean/replace transfer pump fuel screen.
Symptoms: Transfer fuel pump becomes noisy.

85OCT-85DEC and NV/NW Recall (86V149000 & 86V029000) -
84OCT-85SEP GTI Fuel tank replacement due
to non compliance with FMVSS 301.

87-89? Scirocco: Gas tank leaks. Recall. (weren't other cars effected?)
16V Engines: Drive belt failure around 50k miles. Breaks valves!
Remedy: Replace belt at 50k miles!

89-92 16V 9A CA: SB Recall - Ca. smogged 9A engines, hanging idle switch
Not officially announced by VW as yet.
Non-CA have a less severe problem.
Fix: New throttle body assembly.

90-91 G60/Passat: V35-90-01 - Xmission binding in reverse
Replace/lube back up light switch, check
shift rod cover (Part 02A 919 835), MoS2 grease
on shifter & shift linkage

90-9x? Corrado/Passat:
Clutch disk binding on spline ==> dragging.
Replace clutch with Cadmium coated spline.
90-91 G60: V35-92-01 - Mods on 02A gears and shafts.

90-? Passat "Secret Recall" with early models. Problems:
Excessive diagonal tire wear. Fix = New stub axles.
Premature wear with Continentals on Passats.
Updated axles are= 357 501 117B

90-? Passat Rear window regulators. Service bulletin exists.
See recall SW.

90 Passat/Auto Car wont start: Replace transmission switch.

Q: I heard there is a recall on my Golf/Jetta/GTI heater core.
What do I do?
A: The recall affects only '85-'90 cars of the above models, although
older A1 VWs have had heater cores fail also. For some time, VW was
replacing cores under a 'goodwill program', and now the recall is
official.
VW recommends that if you are experiencing any of the typical symptoms,
take your car to the nearest authorized VW dealer.
If you paid to have the work before, AND you can prove it, they will
reimburse you.

Q: What are the symptoms of a leaky/bad heater core?
A: A smell of coolant coming from your vents when the heater is on, an
unusual amount of fogging of the windshield, and in some extreme cases,
coolant leaking into the inside of the car, burning the occupants.

Q: My A/C is smelly after use, especially during humid summer months?
A: A kit to allievate this from (313)-774-4300, which removes mildew
from evaporators. Of course first you should try
spraying 1/4 can of Lysol down the fresh air entry vent, WITH THE DOORS
AND WINDOWS OPEN!!

Q: My radio keeps on playing when the car is turned off?
A: This is normal. Most VWs sold up to 1992 will play with the car
turned off. You can change that by using the switched power
wire instead of the "always hot" wire.
Newer VWs have found a compromise: The radio will play after the
car is shut off as long as the key remains in the ignition.

Q: My oxygen sensor light has come on. What am I supposed to do?
A: Change the oxygen sensor (aka Lamda Sensor), and reset the oxygen
sensor light.
Oxygen sensors are to be changed every 30k/60k miles depending
on your car. Many claim that the newer heated 3 wire ox. sensor
can last alot longer than the designated 30/60 k miles.
This is probably true, but when it does go, your car will run
very rich!
Some have reported poor running conditions, rough
idle and significant loss of power as well (recent news thread on r.a.t).
A bad O2 sensor will increase the catalytic converter temperature
significantly and could lead the substrate to loosen from the
casing (happened to me). You will hear a distinct rattling from
your exhaust, and eventually clog the exhaust system.
Note, engine temp will also increase, risking engine damage
and possible fire.
This increases back pressure and decreases the car's power
to the point where it may not sustain highway speeds.
Again depending on your model, a cat. conv. can be very
expensive (US$400-US$800 in my case), while the ox. sensor is about
US$100. If you decide not to replace the sensor, do follow
Bentley's procedure periodically to check whether it's still ok!

Note from M Sirota: I found a 16V converter at Wolf Sport for $365.
I've actually found a new 16V converter at Techtonics for only $125,
but they say it sucks.

Q: How do I reset the oxygen sensor light?
A: The oxygen sensor light is attached to a small odometer which
trips a switch every 30/60k miles. To turn the oxy light off,
you have to reset that odometer.
VW has two locations for this unit: Either somewhere along
the speedometer cable, or as part of the instrument cluster.

A2 Jettas & Golfs: Remove the coolant reservoir to locate the box
with the white resessed switch. Push it in far until
you hear a satisfying click. You should
only need to push once. The "box" is black, and the
speedometer cable passes through it.

Q: I have a Clock, not a tach, can I get a "new" instrument cluster?
[b...@cellar.org]
A: Yes! Any cluster from just about any late VW (Golf/Jetta2/Sirocco2),
will work with any other cluster. There were a few changes through the
years, but the speedo, tach, temp, fuel, and warning lights (ex. Upshift,
and OXS) will work. I installed a cluster from an 85 Golf in my 89 and
it works just fine. A "new" used unit can be installed in a Golf/Jetta
in about 45 min, with minimal hand tools. The new gauge cluster will
plug right into the existing hardware. It might make life a bit easier
if you remove the steering wheel, however, its not necessary.
While it *might* seem simple to just replace the clock with a tach, its
not, this is fairly complex, and time consuming. I know you will "loose"
your original mileage with the "new" used speedo, but trust me, its just
simpler to do.

Q: What's a good car cover for my car? Will it scratch or dull my paint?
A: Generally you are looking for a cover which is soft where it contacts
the car paint, resists water from penetrating, breathes (trapped
moisture dulls paint), and is mold resistent.
Car covers made out of "Evolution 3" made by Kimberly Clark,
or Technalon material seem to be the current favorites and satisfy the
above. They do get wet with heavy rain or when the water repellent
stuff wears off after a couple of washes.
(For a sample call in the US (800) 424 80 00, code= 44-12-36).
They are also pretty bulky, and if wet, heavy.
I hose my covers down every couple of months and occasionally wash them
in an industrial washer. Aplly Scotch Guard to make it somewhat
water repellent again.

Nylon covers are next to worthless.
To minimize paint scratches, keep your car clean, keep the cover clean,
and "roll" rather than slide the cover on.
I have also found that rolling it on and of is by far the easiest
way to cover the car. Install from the front.
Get a lock, and the cover then serves as reasonable theft deterrent as
well.

Q: Whenever it rains, the carpet in my VW gets wet?
A: There are two sources of this problem: The front of the car, and
the rear.
Front: Rust around windshield, antenna wire or other holes not plugged
right. Better fix this because if it leaks at the driver's side
it may short out your fuse box.
Also check all the rubber gommets that plug the holes.

[eld...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov] There are 2 water drain holes in the area
just below the hood vents forward of the windshield which tend
to get clogged with leaves. Make sure these are clear. If the
water doesn't drain fast enough it will come through the vent
air intake.

[From finn...@navo.navy.mil:]
A break in the plastic drip shield which runs
across the top of the firewall under the hood
can allow copious amounts of water to flow into
the fresh air intake vent. Replace the shield.

Rear: Water leaks resulting in large puddles in the rear seat
footwells are generally caused by poor seals against the door
windows, and broken seals on the door liners.
The window seals are easily replaceable. To replace the
seal inside the door, you have to remove the inner door panel,
which is quite easy as well.
Glue a thick sheet of plastic between the door frame and the
door panel.
See tech tips for more detail

Q: My back up lights don't work anymore, but the bulbs are ok!
A: Most likely your back up light switch in the transmission is
broken. In some cars it will also disable the upshift indicator.
According to rgo...@smucs1.umassd.edu, short shift kits
reduce the longlevity of these switches to 3-4 months.

INTERCHANGING PARTS & TOOLS
===========================

Q: What VW parts are interchangeble between models & years?
(This is for all you junk-yard cats). Created on a suggestion
by [dh...@andrew.cmu.edu (Dan)]

A: General Rule:
All cars based on the same platform are mechanically similar.
When the engine is mostly the same, it'll share engine parts,
exhaust, suspension, Xmission, brakes,
rear axle beam, most electrical components, sway bars.
Different years may have different components, but the rule
is usually that G & J are about the same in one year while
the S's and Corrados are usually a bit ahead and occasionally
share components found in the next platform (e.g., The A2
based Corrados VR6/SLC have the A+ suspension found on A3
GTIs).

Note that in Europe the engine range is much larger than in NA,
but mechanically things are similar within the same engine range.
Throughout this document you will find other hints of
interchangabilities, for example, look at the part numbers:
S's have alot of part numbers from R/Gs (the second and thrird set of
numbers are important), see also the list of rims
and wheels for interchangability. GTI/GLI rims are a nice upgrade
for most G & Js.

However the opposite is true as well...The same model of the same
year may have slightly different components. Essentially VW builds
cars until they run out of a particular batch of parts, or they
make them for one region but then send them elsewhere
(e.g., Corrados sold with heated seats in Southern California).
Another example of this are radiators, don't ask what radiator
is supposed to be in your car because no one really knows...

A1: R=G I=Conv/S I & II/J I are all similar. Bodywise & interiorwise,
the J & R are most similar, except for the rear trunk, rear seats,
& muffler. J's used to have thicker sway bars, a good upgrade
for an S & R. Final exhaust sections also different.
S's are bodywise & interiorwise different, struts are different (?),
mechanically things are layed out a tad different (air filter).
Convertibles share most with the R/G I, but later models have
similarities with S's (exhaust).

The Passat I/Dasher shares some mechanical parts with the other
A1 cars (e.g., 1600 engine), but otherwise shares more with
the old Audi 80/Audi Fox (NA).
Note that the reverse is also true, some Audi 80/100 (4000/5000)
parts will fit in A1 VWs (e.g., the windshield washer canisters
of a 5000 = S). In Europe, the low end Audis share more mechanically
with the high end VWs, because they basically use the same
engine block (1600/1800).
There are also some parts shared with Porsches, most notable
the 924 & 944 series (locks, rack, steering (?)).

A2: G II/ J II/Corrado. The G & J are most similar, except for the
obvious differences. The dashes are very similar but there are
some nuances like the trim which is bolted in for J but snapped
in on early US made Gs.
Corrados 16V (Europe) share the most with GTIs, but the G60s
only share some suspension components (rear axle beam).
The SLC/VR6s don't share much mechanical with other VWs
but share alot with the other C's (brakes, interior & body).
VR6 rims will not fit a G60.

Please add specific contributions:

Brakes: Most >81 A1/A2 VWs can be upgraded to newer calipers & rotors
be it in some cases with some additional modifications
(VW&P/EuroCar has has a bunch of article on that).

The biggest right now are those on the Corrados.

Cylinder Heads: Cylinder heads on 1.7 l A-1 cars from US '82.5 thru '84
are interchangeable with earlier A-1 engines except a different
tool must be used to depress the lifters. GTI cylinder heads
are incompatible. [eld...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov]

Struts: R/G=J
Interior pieces: Alot will be interchangable (R/G=J) but be careful
alot of piece will look the same but won't fit.
Steering wheels are interchangable up to ~91/92? when they
switched to a finer spline.

Alternators: Almost all are interchangeable, but some may require
a different harness. Usually go to a higher amperage, never
lower. The 90A are the current "hot ticket".

Starters: ?

Q: Will Rabbit seats fit in a Scirocco?
A: Rabbit seats won't fit, the legs on the seat are too high. Try
a junk yard seat, or weld the adjusting mechanism to a height
suitable to you.

Q; I need tool VW #xyz. Is there a suitable replacement?
A: Often yes. Here are some:

"Remove grease cap from rear axle" tool: Adjustable pliers, screwdriver
"Timing belt tensioner pulley tightening tool":
Bend a section of coat hanger into a "U" shape
of the proper size for the holes in the pulley.
or (lousier)
Two nails & a screw driver.
"Upper strut bolt" tool: Air impact wrench, or grab a socket with
a vise grip with the allen key through the top.
From [Ken_...@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov]:
The Oxygen Sensor Socket from Lisle will work.
The socket has a hex at the top so you can use
a comination wrench to loosen the strut nut
while holding the center rod stationary with a
6 or 7 mm allen wrench.

"Spring Compressor": ALL SUBSTITUTES ARE DANGEROUS! Buy the real
thing for ~ US$40.
"Remove radio tool" use a coat hanger, make 4 cuts, so each piece is
a "U". Stick them in the holes, and move the
hanger pieces "out" to the left and right,
while pulling the radio out by the tape
entrance.
"Remove Valve Adj Chims" For changing valve shims, a valve depressor is
necessary, but the funny special pliers are not.
All that is needed is a small "jeweler's"
screwdriver. File the blade until it is narrow
enough to fit flat into the slot in the shim
bucket. Then file it until there is a nice
knife edge on it. Depress the valve, and stick
the screwdriver through the slot on the bucket
and under the shim at the same time. It will
just pop right out, though oftentimes it helps
to wiggle the valve depressor around to help out.
[Borowski]
"Pin Wrench" rom: ted...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ted Crum):
A pin wrench (pin spanner) is needed change
strut cartridges, adjust [W] cam belts, etc.
I've used this trick from Popular Science for
years: Make a pin wrench from an adjustable
("Crescent") wrench with two holes drilled into
the sides of the jaws, near the tips.
With pins placed in these holes, it is a
strong adjustable pin wrench.
A second set of bigger holes can go a little
down from the tips and further from the
nut-turning faces:
__
/ o |
/ |
/ |
|______|

Timing plug removal tool Use the handle of a stubby craftsmen slot
screwdriver.
>>>COME ON, THERE MUST BE PLENTY MORE

FUEL INJECTION
==============

Q: What are the FI types used by VW?
A: [From TomH] First, let's remember that "CIS" is really
Bosch K-Jetronic, and "CIS-E" is KE-Jetronic. Now, as for the US GTI/GLI
injection systems:

83-84 8V K-Jetronic
85-87 8V KE-Jetronic
87-89 16V KE-Jetronic
88-92 8V Digifant II
90-92 16V KE-Motronic

KE-Jetronic is basically a K-Jetronic with ignition control and a knock
sensor, while KE-Motronic has full engine management capabilities.

Note that the above data is for the US GTI/GLI series cars. The US
GT/GL models for example in 85-87 use CIS [kok...@rpi.edu].

Digifant is a pulsed injection system (rather than continuous, like the
Bosch K series), which is in principle better. I'm no big fan of (at
least the early versions of) Digifant, I don't think it has horrible
reliability problems, either. You *will* need to run injector cleaner
through the engine more frequently, though, or performance and mpg will
drop right off the scale.

RECOMMENDATIONS
===============

Q: Should I warm up my VW?
A: General recommendation is:
- Let it idle for a bit (couple secs, 1/2 minute)
- Then drive the car easily, rpm < 3000 or so.
- When the car is up to operating temp (80C oil or water needle 1/2 way)
you can increase rpms.
Why? Part of the reason is lubrication. Cold oil is not as viscous.
Oil pumps are constant volume pumps (at a specific rpm) and therefore
may produce excessive pressures when cold.
The second reason is thermal expansion. An engine is made to be driven
at operating temperature, and therefore things will not fit or seal
as well when cold. In addition, engine components expand at different
rates (e.g., cast iron vs aluminum, small vs large volumes) and the
slower this process occurs the smaller the expansion differences.
Idling your engine may warm up the engine too fast, driving hard
immediatly will produce reduced lubrication and excessive pressure.

Q: Which is better High or Low revs when driving?
Will either one damage the engine?
A: The answere is to avoid extreme stress on the engine, neither
excessive high or low revs are advised.

Low Revs: You are putting a lot of torque on the engine with a low oil
volume & pressure. This can lead to damage. Generally stay above
1500 or 2000 rpms.

High Revs: VW engines are rather comfortable in the higher ranges.
However, at high revs you have alot of (transient) thermal effects
taking place which are not always healthy (valves, head) in addition
to certain harmonic vibrations in all the shafts that spin, sometimes
also the pistons (motorcycles tend to have that problem more).
So far I have found VW engines to hold up well.
These cars were designed to sustain fairly high speeds in Germany.
However I have also found that the perifery does not always hold up:
Waterpumps tend to leak alot quicker when you rev high.
Now what's high? Generally near redline is high, and it's not advised
to go over, or stay there for long.

Normal non-aggressive driving should be done between ~2000rpms &
max torque which is usually around 4000 rpms, resulting in "normal"
wear.

Q: How do you break into all A1 & A2 VWs (exc. Corrado, Passats, A3)
w/o breaking glas in under 10 secs?
(Verified by Jan, in a junk yard of course).
A: This has received some protest, but I decided to post it anyway
to make people aware of the ease with which one can break into
a VW, and because advertisements for the deterrent actually
has a picture on how to do it.

Punch a small hole with a screwdriver directly underneath the doorhandle
(underneath the lock) and move screwdriver up and down to unlock.
ADP armor door plates are the only safeguard.
(800) ADP-LOCK, about $50 per pair. Install in 5 minutes with just a
screwdriver. Other brands exist. Stay away from flimsier products
though.

An alarm with engine lockout is also HIGHLY recommended.
Newer VWs come with such an alarm! Apparently very effective.

Q: What gas (petrol) should I use?
A: Very tough to answere! Generally stick with the better brands because
they take better care of the quality of the gas, keep their
tanks cleaner, etc.
Note however that many brands share gas in rural areas to reduce
transportation costs (though they may add different additives).
It's also recommended to stick with one brand. Apparently the additives
are not always compatible (varnish).
Convenience stores switch brands often to reduce cost ==> not recommended.
I have a VW brochure from '87? that recommends Shell, Chevron & AMOCO
BY NAME (Publication W42-002-920-0). Texaco seems ok too (imho).
That brochure talks about additives that reduce carbon build-up.
I have had rough idle problems with Arco EC gas in CA.
Whether you need "super" or high octane gas remains debatable.
Some brands add more detergent in their high octane gasses which will
keep your engine cleaner.
Gas formulas change over time and per geographic region.
In the winter a more volatile gas, or oxygenated gas is sold to
improve cold starting and reduce emmissions (which may increase
gas consumption between 3% and 15%).
Cars with knocks sensors can derive more power with higher octane gas.
And, yes, all watercooled VWs can run on unleaded fuel.
Basically, if your car runs well with the brand you are using,
stick to it.

Q: Good and bad VW years? Impressions?
A: >>>Need help with this one!!!

General: (From M.Sirota) US [made] VWs, unfortunately, suck after
lots of mileage. Most notably, they rattle like the dickens.
(??-'88 Rabbit, Golf, GTI, base Jetta).
Jetta GL's and GLI's and Carats and the like were made in
Germany during this period.

[From Jan:] Do not mistake bad service with the quality of
the car. In the US, most VW service is at best second class.
Older VWs (A1) are also more prone to rust, esp. around the
wheel arches due to the absence of the plastic protectors.
Newer VWs are much better protected, up to the point of
using galvanized sheet metal on some pannels in Corrados.

[From Dan Simoes:] as far as quality goes, it seems to follow
the pattern: (best-->worst) German-built, Mexican-built,
US-built although there are certainly enough exceptions to
this rule. VW recognizes the quality problems with the
Mexican cars, and feels that they will be fixed by the time
we get the A3 cars.

81 Scirocco: Made by Karmann, European Market!
Major Problems: 2B5 Zenith Carb, electrical problems (easy
to fix, hard to find).

Impressions: Noisy. With modified suspension a fantastic
handler. A car with an incredible portion of fun, though engine
a bit underpowered (86 Hp).

79.5 (?) - 84 Rabbit Diesel (US-built models):
(tgpt...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu)

Major problems: For some reason extremely hard on starters
and alternators. Heavy vibration when cold reduces life of
some parts. Even more prone to engine mount woes than gas
models.

Impressions: The car that wouldn't die. Consistently
run 300,000+ miles. Anywhere from 30 - 55 mpg. Horribly
underpowered (52HP). Emissions exempt in some states, which
is a good thing. Regular oil/filter & fuel filt. changes
even more important than most. You either love them or you
hate them. At 300,000 miles things that were supposed to
last "the life of the car" start to break.

84 US Rabbit: another car that won't die. Mechanically
excellent--I have 177k miles and it runs like new,
though I've had to make one major repair (cylinder head).
Interior doesn't hold up as well--I've replaced the
carpet and the headliner fell off the ceiling. Outside
body/paint still excellent. I want something fancier
but I can't justify it since it's worthless as a used
car. All rattles disappeared when I replaced the infamous
right hand engine mount. You do need to stick on anti-sway
bars for decent handling. [eld...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov]

85-87 8V GTI-US: US made, US market.
Major problems: Rough Idle, switches, seat bolsters ripping,
some (85-86) been released with mismatched wristpins.
Engines usually seem to last long.

Impressions: Lots of low end torque, good handler, great
around-the-town-car, and good low speed (<80 mph) cruiser.
Good mileage (~30 mpg).

88->90 GTI/Golf: Mexican made, US market
Major problems: Same as above. Quality of cars varies
alot between batches.

Impressions: Reduced low end torque, higher seats.

90-> Passat: Made in Germany
Major problems: Early production had many quality
problems all over. Later models seem to fare better.

Impressions: 4 cyl version underpowered especially
in automatic version. VR6 equiped car is quieter and
more powerful. Lots of room. Good handling.

90-92 G60: Made by Karmann, US market.
Major problems: No general trend as yet. First cold start
sometimes fails. Second start usually ok.
Notchy transmission/Linkage binding.

Impressions: Low end lacking, notchy shifter,
but otherwise a nice sturdy car. Good handling,
bad rear visibility. The usual rattles.

92-> SLC: Made by Karmann, US market.
Major problems: Transmission: Linkage binding, inceasing
notchyness.

Impressions: Great car.

CURRENT VW TYPES:
=================

A01: 1975-1980
Polo, Derby
A small car with a transverse FWD layout. Derby is a sedan version
of the Polo; both available with 2 doors only.
A02: 1981-
Polo, Polo Coupe, Derby/Polo Sedan
A small car with a transverse FWD layout. Derby later renamed Polo
Sedan. Base Polo has almost vertical hatchback, while Coupe is
sportier looking. All are available with 2 doors only. Facelifted
for 1991.

A1: 1974-1984 (in some cases: 1993)
Golf/Rabbit, Jetta, Scirocco, Cabriolet, Pickup/Caddy
Compact cars with transverse FWD. Jetta has a trunk, while Scirocco
(2-door only) is a sportier design. A1 Scirocco production ended in
1990, while Cabriolet and Caddy (Pickup) continue to be based on the
A1 chassis. US and Mexican production continued until 1984. Face-
lifted in 1980 (1981 in the US).
A2: 1984-1991
Golf, Jetta, Corrado (continued after 91!)
Compact cars with transverse FWD. Jetta has a trunk, while Corrado
(2-door only) is a sporty version. Mexican production continued until
1992. Syncro AWD available.
A3: 1992-
Golf, Vento/Jetta
Compact cars with transverse FWD. Vento/Jetta has a trunk.

B1: 1973-1979
Passat/Dasher, Passat Variant
Mid-sized cars with longitudonal FWD. The original fastback design
with a separate trunk was changed to a hatchback in 1976.
B2: 1980-1987
Passat, Santana/Quantum, Passat Variant/Quantum Wagon
Mid-sized cars with longitudonal FWD. Base varsion a hatchback,
with Santana/Quantum a sedan version. 4-door only. Audi-based
Syncro AWD available. Production continues in China.
B3: 1988-
Passat, Passat Variant/Passat Wagon
Mid-sized cars with transverse FWD. 4-door only. Syncro AWD
available.

Corrections from JWA...@UA1VM.UA.EDU:
T1: 1949 - 1966 (European model years; - 1967 U.S. Model years)
Station Wagon/Transporter (Micro-bus, Bus, Camper, Kombi, Pickup Truck,
Double Cab Pickup Truck, Panel Van)
A utility vehicle/truck with rear air-cooled engine (Type I engine)
T2: 1967 - 1970 (Eur. mod. yrs; 1968 - 1971 U.S. Mod. yrs)
<same as above T1>
A utility vehicle/truck with rear air-cooled engine (Type I engine)
T2: 1971 - 1978 (e.m.yrs; 1972 - 1979 U.S. m.yrs)
<same as above T1>
A utility vehicle/truck with rear air-cooled engine (Type IV engine)
Same engine as Porsche 914 and VW 411/412.
T3: 1979 - 1982 (e.m.yrs; 1980 - 1983+1/2 U.S.m.yrs)
<same as above T1>
A utility vehicle/truck with rear engine: either air-cooled boxer
(Type IV engine), water-cooled boxer (Type IV-based) or water-cooled
diesel inline 4 (Golf). Availability of engines overlapped.
1980 - 1991 (e.m.yrs; sold in U.S. only 1981 - 1983 U.S. model years)
<same as above T1> except only Vanagon/Vanagon Camper were sold in U.S.
A utility vehicle/truck with rear water-cooled Rabbit Diesel engine.
<was still offered in Europe util introduction of T4 bus. Most of the
T3 sold in Europe were Diesel or Turbo-Diesel powered>
T3: 1983 - 1991 (e.m.yrs; 1983+1/2 - 1991 U.S.m.yrs)
<same as above T1>
A utility vehicle/truck with rear water-cooled engine (Type ? engine)
(engine is basically the same Type IV, but with water-cooled heads.
engine size is much different, however: shorter in length and width)
<no other VW used this engine; however, Subaru made an engine very
similar for use in their cars, front wheel drive, no less>
Syncro models available in Europe until 1993 model year.
T4: 1992 -
<same as above T1>
Transporter, Bus/EuroVan, Camper
A utility vehicle/truck with transverse FWD.
<there are two gasoline engines and one diesel
(does Turbo count as 2nd engine?) engine available in Europe:
Two of each: 2.0L and 2.5L.
Only one gas engine in U.S.>

LT1: 1975-
LT
light and medium-duty utility vehicles/trucks.

CURRENT AUDI TYPES:

A01: 1974-1978
Audi 50
The twin to VW Polo, introduced before its sibling. 2-door hatchback
only.

B1: 1973-1979
Audi 80/Fox, Audi Fox Wagon
Mid-sized car with longitudonal FWD. First only with 2-door, but
later available as 4-door as well. Wagon only available in North
America.
B2: 1980-1987
Audi 80, 90, 4000, Coupe, Quattro
Mid-sized car with longitudonal FWD or AWD. 2-door and 4-door
versions available (except Coupe and Quattro 2-door only). 90
was a 5-cylinder version of 80; quattro AWD available for all
models.
B3: 1988-1991
Audi 80, 90, Coupe, S2
Mid-sized car with longitudonal FWD or AWD. 4-door only. Quattro
AWD available for all models.
B4: 1992-
Audi 80, Coupe, S2
Mid-sized car with longitudonal FWD or AWD. 4-door only. Quattro
AWD available for all models. S2 is a high-performance version of
the Coupe. A mild revision of B3 chassis.

C1: 1969-1976
Audi 100, 100 Coupe
Large car with longitudonal FWD. 4-door only, except Coupe as
2-door only.
C2: 1977-1982
Audi 100, 200, 5000, Avant
Large car with longitudonal FWD. 4-door only. 200 has turbocharged
engine (similar to 5000 Turbo). Avant is a wagon version. Quattro
AWD available.
C3: 1983-1991
Audi 100, 200, 5000, Avant
Large car with longitudonal FWD. 4-door only. 200 has turbocharged
engine (similar to 5000 Turbo). Avant is a wagon version. Quattro
AWD available. 5000 renamed to 100/200 in North America after 1988.
C4: 1992-
Audi 100, Avant, S4
Large car with longitudonal FWD. 4-door only. Quattro AWD available
for all models. S4 is a high-performance version using a turbocharged
5-cylinder engine. A moderate revision of C3 chassis.

D1: 1990-
Audi V8
Large car with longitudonal AWD. 4-door only.

CURRENT SEAT TYPES: (NOTE: SEAT is a Spanish Co. started by Fiat and
bought by VW in 1990)

A01: 1994- (?)
Marbella
A very small car with transverse FWD. Based on some Polo components.
[Current Marbella is not VW-based or derived.]

A1: 1993- (?)
Ibiza
A small car with transverse FWD. Based on A03 Polo platform.
[Current Ibiza is not VW-based or derived.]
Availability to start mid 1993.

B1: 1992-
Toledo
A small/mid-size car with transverse FWD. Based on,
A2 Jetta floorpan, uses Golf/Jetta mechanics.
4-door sedan only? Hatchback (according to en...@hpl.lut.ac.uk)?
Abandoned proto-type had a 200 BHp G60 VR6, synchro.
It's a 4-door sedan with a hatchback and an *enormous* trunk. VR6 is
indeed available.

OLD VW TYPES:

Type I: 1938-
Beetle, Cabriolet, Karmann Ghia, 181/Thing
A small car with an upright air-cooled engine.
Type II: 1950-
Transporter, Bus, Camper
A utility vehicle (truck) with either an upright (early) air-cooled,
pancake (middle) air-cooled engine, or a pancake (late) water-cooled
engine.
See also T1 through T4.
Type III: 1962-1973
Sedan/Notchback, Coupe/Fastback, Variant/Squareback, Karmann Ghia
A mid-sized car with a pancake engine.
Type IV: 1968-1974
Sedan (2/4-door), Variant
A large car with a pancake engine.

OTHERS: [Anyone know whether these fit at all into the VW nomenclature?]

VW-Porsche 914: 1970-1976
Coupe
A mid-engine coupe designed by Porsche and built by Volkswagen.
K70: 1971-1975
Sedan
A large car with a watercooled inline-4.
Iltis: 1982-
Convertible
A four-wheel drive utility vehicle designed largely for military use,
using both Beetle and Golf components.
Fox/Voyage:
A small car with a longitudonal FWD layout. Made in Brasil and
exported to North America.

Contributors (not exhaustive):
------------------------------
Note: Quoted contributions implie possible conflicting pieces of advise
with other contributors.

jmm...@zeus.tamu.edu (Jeffrey M. Mayzurk)
ma...@wdcwdc.sps.mot.com (Mark Shaw)
dil...@techops.cray.com (Robert J. Dilmore)
tgpt...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Tom Guptill)
rgo...@UMASSD.EDU (Ric Golen)
c...@sei.cmu.edu (Craig Gary)
boro...@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Don T. Borowski)
to...@metrics.com (\tom haapanen)
te...@kingcong.uwaterloo.ca (Prateek Dwivedi)
gaje...@ug.cs.dal.ca (ANdy)
er...@quantum.qnx.com (Eric Johnson)
da...@danix.uucp (Dan Simoes)
dil...@techops.cray.com (Robert J. Dilmore)
ted...@garnet.berkeley.edu (Ted Crum)
craw...@fido.econ.arizona.edu (David Crawford)
msi...@ee.rochester.edu (Mark Sirota)
Josh....@Eng.Sun.COM (Josh Sirota, & yes, they are related)
b...@cellar.org (Dan Reed)
sco...@pangea.Stanford.EDU (Scott Zeller)
chri...@wucs1.wustl.edu (Christos Papadopoulos)
rr...@rcx1.ssd.csd.harris.com (Bob Rusk)
aa...@po.CWRU.Edu (Andrew A. Spencer)
ni...@cs.bu.edu (Nicos Kontopoulos)
le...@newton.ccs.tuns.ca (Fred Lew)
dch...@gateway.sequent.com (Duncan Hill)
JWA...@UA1VM.UA.EDU (joel)
en...@hpl.lut.ac.uk (Paul Waine)
Ken_...@qmgate.arc.nasa.gov (Ken Tsai)
bi...@tss.com (Bill Castellano)
boro...@hpspkla.spk.hp.com (Donald Borowski)
aho...@informix.com (Andy Hogben)
rd...@homxb.att.com (Ron DeBlock)
fval...@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (trey valenta)
eld...@csi.jpl.nasa.gov (Dan Eldred)
sce...@vaxa.isc.rit.edu (Scott C. Ernst)
jw...@r3vm.dsd.trw.com (Judson West)
wil...@trombone.sps.mot.com (Bob Willers)
mcgu...@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Ronald J Mcguire)
kok...@rpi.edu ()
AP...@ESOC.BITNET ()
mshe...@math.ucla.edu (Michael Shearer)
tho...@wrdis01.robins.af.mil (Cont Tim Hogard)
ke...@starchild.ncsl.nist.gov (Lawrence B. Keys)
pgri...@magnus.acs.ohio-state.EDU (Peter A Griffith)
jc...@CC.MsState.Edu (john c luthe)
sco...@tekig5.pen.tek.com (Scott John Mockry)
joc...@bjsys.ersys.edmonton.ab.ca (Joe Angerstein)
t...@philabs.philips.com (Teun Hendriks)
d...@research.nj.nec.com (Dan Ruderman)
de...@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dennis O'Neill)
hunt...@PICA.ARMY.MIL (high)
Disclaimer: My employer has nothing to do with this.
Use any info in this posting at your OWN risk.
This is public information and should not be dissiminated
for profit.

--
Jan Vandenbrande