Using Coleman Powermate to jump start?

Kevin C.

Nov 9, 2004, 6:21:13 AM11/9/04
In a grand display of absent-mindedness, I think I left one of the dome
lights on in my brand new Suzuki for about a week. When I got back to it,
everything was dead. I went out and purchased a Coleman Powermate jump start
kit. When I connect the negative cable, I can hear the door locks move, the
clock turns on, and my dome lights work. So I can only guess that the
connections are proper.

But as soon as I turn the ignition to start, everything goes dead. Not even
a cough from the engine, just immediate power off. Do you think the
Powermate just doesn't have enough power to start the car, or is there
something else I should look at?

The Powermate is rated at 10 amp/hour, 500 peak amps, 250 CCA.

If that's a weak system, what kind of numbers should I be looking to buy?

The actual car battery says 55 AH and 610 CCA but I can't even find
something that powerful or anything close to it in a jump start kit.

Bill

Nov 9, 2004, 8:17:01 AM11/9/04
In article <IK1kd.40075$QJ3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>, "Kevin C."
<nom...@dot.com> wrote:

The car battery is probably SO DEAD, that most of the power from your jump
battery is getting "sucked up" by the car battery.
Give the car battery a "proper" charge and hope it's not ruined.
Most time when jump starting, the car battery still has SOME charge in it,
so you don't experience the problem that you have now.
If you have regular jumper cables, hook them up to another car and
"charge" the dead battery 10-20 minutes @ fast idle (with as many lights
etc. as possible OFF, and then try jump starting.

Woody

Nov 9, 2004, 9:23:24 AM11/9/04
Even if you get it charged and running I would replace it as the damage will
make it unreliable. Car batteries aren't designed for that kind of abuse.

"Kevin C." <nom...@dot.com> wrote in message

Al Bundy

Nov 9, 2004, 11:51:18 AM11/9/04
"Kevin C." <nom...@dot.com> wrote in message news:<IK1kd.40075$QJ3....@newssvr21.news.prodigy.com>...

Well, you need 150-200 amps to crank that starter. I don't think the
power mate is up to the job despite the stated rating. You are not
just jump starting. You have a completely dead battery in the circuit
there. and how charged up was the Powermate?

I suspect you will be buying a battery anyway so it might be smart to
do that now. If you could start the car you'd be overworking your
alternator anyway. You should have bought a $15 charger and charged
the battery with it if you wanted to play around. If you wanted to go
right now you should have bought a new battery. I'd still do that.

r...@txol.net

Nov 10, 2004, 5:57:55 PM11/10/04
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 11:21:13 GMT, "Kevin C." <nom...@dot.com> wrote:

||In a grand display of absent-mindedness, I think I left one of the dome
||lights on in my brand new Suzuki for about a week. When I got back to it,
||everything was dead. I went out and purchased a Coleman Powermate jump start
||kit. When I connect the negative cable, I can hear the door locks move, the
||clock turns on, and my dome lights work. So I can only guess that the
||connections are proper.

You did charge the Powermate before trying to use it, right?

You also bought a battery charger to use after you get it home, right?
The car will not resurrect the battery on it's own, you need a charger.

Texas Parts Guy