NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

phaeton

Mar 16, 2010, 12:29:16 PM3/16/10
Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
sides.

At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
by the same contractor.

Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
sounding to me than the store brands.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 16, 2010, 1:11:27 PM3/16/10
You might also check Advance auto parts, if there is a store in your
area.Or, http://www.jcwhitney.com
Call their toll free number, ask them to send you a free catalog,
pertaining to your interest.
cuhulin

Kevin

Mar 16, 2010, 1:55:26 PM3/16/10
phaeton <blahb...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:5f600c44-5930-41a5-b679-
7cf451...@t20g2000yqe.googlegroups.com:

more than likely the Ebay stuff is chinese crap. the branded stuff
may or may not be. that is harder to tell. KB

--
THUNDERSNAKE #9

Protect your rights or "Lose" them
The 2nd Admendment guarantees the others

N8N

Mar 16, 2010, 2:28:18 PM3/16/10

What's the price for Moog branded parts? I'd feel more comfortable
with those than any "generic" or "store" brand.

yes, these parts are not technically challenging to produce, but if
corners were cut and/or inferior materials were used, the consequences
of failure (esp. a ball joint or tie rod end) are not pretty.

nate

hls

Mar 16, 2010, 2:28:49 PM3/16/10
People often view NAPA first, Autozone second, and Oreilly last in terms
of dependability and quality. Whether true or not, this is a common feeling
among mechanics and amateurs.

If you buy their cheapest parts, you may get some poor remanufactured
parts in some cases, or even Made in China. Not all China stuff is crap,
but a lot IS.

I have heard that Advance might be a higher level than Autozone but cant
confirm.

You may be able to find some of the online parts stores that can get you
high quality parts at good prices.

N8N

Mar 16, 2010, 2:30:56 PM3/16/10

good point, I'd price out name brand stuff from Rock Auto, might be
even cheaper. I got a complete brake job for my F-150 for only a
couple hundred bucks (calipers, pads, shoes, rotors, seals, hoses,
hardware kits, etc - the only things I did not replace were the rear
drums and the bearings, because the bearings had just been replaced)
by picking up name brand (Raybestos and/or Wagner, usually) stuff on
closeout.

nate

Vic Smith

Mar 16, 2010, 5:00:23 PM3/16/10

First off, until the Congress reverses some the lying labeling
legislation they've installed to hoodwink buyers, it's often hard to
tell where these parts are made.
That's how the sellers want it.
Besides that, it doesn't usually matter in terms of quality.
I did ball joints and tie rod ends on my Lumina last year and had
the O'Reilly parts guy bring them out for me.
I went with Moog ends and the O'Reilly brand - ProParts? - ball
joints. Might have looked at some TRW parts too.
The Moog ends looked better enough to justify maybe an 86 buck premium
each, the joints looked the same, and didn't justify the maybe 20 buck
each premium.
But that's all my own voodoo. It's not like I could take them apart
or do Rockwell tests on them.
My kid does suspensions all day in a shop that only does suspensions,
99% trucks, from fire trucks and garbage trucks to pick-ups.
I just called him to ask what they use.
It's either Moog or OEM.
And he really doesn't know where either is made.
He "thinks" Moog are Made in U.S.A.
But he's not sure.
And he's not sure that Moog are the best either.
Just that's what they use.
Maybe they get a volume discount.
That eBay stuff just sounds too cheap. Maybe hammered out in some
Indian shipwrecker yard. The Indian billionaire that owns the
operation could pay off the right Congress critters or regulator to
get any junk into the country.
I'd go with the cheapest from a distributor than can be easily sued if
the parts cause an accident. That's the only fear that keeps them
half-way honest.
Otherwise there's probably not much difference.
Check that they at least have zerk holes tapped in them.
As I recall, the O'Reilly non-Moog ends didn't have them.

--Vic

Vic Smith

Mar 16, 2010, 5:34:14 PM3/16/10
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:00:23 -0500, Vic Smith
<thismaila...@comcast.net> wrote:

>The Moog ends looked better enough to justify maybe an 86 buck premium

Oops. 8 buck premium.

m6onz5a

Mar 16, 2010, 8:46:22 PM3/16/10
On Mar 16, 12:29 pm, phaeton <blahbleh...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Everything is still made in China, or some other Country. Stay away
from the Generic. Bottom line is you get what you pay for.. If you
plan on selling the car buy the cheap stuff otherwise stick with the
name brands.

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 16, 2010, 8:45:41 PM3/16/10
You might also look at,
http://www.who-sells-it.com

Definetly, use parts that have Alemites (some people call them Zerks) on
them.You can grease them rugularly with a grease gun.
Moog and TRW have been in business for many years.I would go for OEM
parts.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 16, 2010, 10:02:52 PM3/16/10
In January of this year, I went to a NAPA store.I had already drank a
lot of coffee that morning and it was cold weather.As soon as I got to
that NAPA store, I needed to use the rest room, it was sort of an
emergency.They would not let me use their rest room.There is NO way on
Earth I will ever go to any NAPA store ever again! In my opinion, those
''people'' who work at that NAPA store discriminated against ME.If you
know what I mean?
There are plenty of other auto parts stores around here, I don't need
NAPA.
cuhulin

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 16, 2010, 10:42:50 PM3/16/10
Some auto parts stores have parts other auto parts stores do not have.I
bought a set of RainX windshield wipers at O'Reilly's, they wouldn't on
my 1983 Dodge van.O'Reilly's didn't have any other windshield wipers
that would fit on my van.I went across the street to the Advance auto
parts store.The set of TRICO windshield wipers I bought there fit on my
van perfectly.
cuhulin

Steve W.

Mar 16, 2010, 10:57:08 PM3/16/10

NAPA branded parts are usually the second line MOOG or TRW parts, They
are considered second line because they are not branded as the TRW or
MOOG names. These would be the same as OEM parts they make. They also
sell the prime line from the big makers plus "OEM" parts.

Autozone sells three lines of parts. Store branded are generally imports
and are made by smaller companies. They may be high quality or they may
be crap, depends on which company made it. They are not all made by the
same company though. Then next step up are branded parts that are sold
in multiple chains but are not the OEM parts. Things like Spectra
radiators and Four Seasons A/C compressors. Then you get into the

O'Reilly, Shucks, Murray Discount Auto Parts, Checker, Kragen are all
owned by the same outfit. As such there parts are about the same. They
are DIY stores and sell three tiers of parts like Autozone does.

The differences are hard to see unless you strip down the parts.
The metals are NOT just metals. There are a LOT of different alloys out
there. Plus the actual machine work and how much machine work is done.
In the case of a DIYer who does his own labor the price may be the only
thing they look for. For a shop though having the warranty and faith in
the better parts is a good thing.

Personally I HATE having to re-do any repairs. So I tend to buy either
prime line or OEM parts. The thing with prime line is that they can be
better than the OEM parts EASILY.
As an example take a look at the gaskets used on the 4.3 and 5.7
engines. The OEM ones tend to fail due to the plastic cracking because
of the method of clamping them in the engine. When this started
happening a lot Fel_pro came out with a problem solver gasket. It uses a
better substrate to keep them from failing in those spots.
GM had to use up a TON of gaskets they already had before they started
using a new version.

--
Steve W.

Ashton Crusher

Mar 17, 2010, 1:43:52 AM3/17/10
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:29:16 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
<blahb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I second Nate - price it out on www.rockauto.com I've bought a bunch
of stuff there. They usually have several levels of quality to chose
from and most of the time will beat the prices of even the discount
auto parts places with better quality parts.

aemeijers

Mar 17, 2010, 3:21:51 AM3/17/10

Nobody else in this thread said it, so I will- Stuff That Can Kill You
is not the place to cut corners. If the engine stops running, it is a
PITA, but seldom fatal. If the brakes, tires, or major
steering/suspension components fail catastrophically, it can easily
become a very bad day. If you are keeping a beater or classic running,
more power to you, but you have to pick and choose where to save a buck.
I'll do without the nice stereo or new fuzzy dice if I have to, but I
won't buy anything less than OEM or better for the important stuff. The
no-name stuff may be fine, or it may be crap- you never know. And even
if it was fine last time, it could be crap this time. The generics and
house brands change suppliers all the time.

--
aem sends...

hls

Mar 17, 2010, 10:36:06 AM3/17/10

<cuh...@webtv.net> wrote in message

> There are plenty of other auto parts stores around here, I don't need
> NAPA.
> cuhulin

You especially dont need NAPA if you go with OEM parts, like you
recommended in your previous post..

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 17, 2010, 10:34:02 AM3/17/10
An old saying goes,,,
Sometimes it is more important to stop than keep on going.

Don't stint on the Important stuff.
cuhulin

phaeton

Mar 18, 2010, 12:18:52 PM3/18/10
Thanks for the suggestion of Rock Auto. I forgot about them, somehow.

Quality is what I wanted, and it turns out they can give me all Moog
parts for $340. That sounds like the way to go.
Now I just have to wait for warm weather.

Thanks!

-J

N8N

Mar 18, 2010, 1:23:51 PM3/18/10

Warm weather officially started Tuesday, at least here. Time to go
shopping for a convertible...

nate

C. E. White

Mar 18, 2010, 1:53:32 PM3/18/10

"N8N" <njn...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Warm weather officially started Tuesday, at least here. Time to go
> shopping for a convertible...

I feel your pain. I am trying to be responsible for once, but I am
suffering from my wish I had a convertible itch. I haven't had one for
over three years and I still miss them. I was thinking I could pick up
a Saturn Sky cheap....

Ed

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 18, 2010, 2:04:25 PM3/18/10
Some neighbors next door to me have an older model Saturn and an older
model Chevrolet Lumina and an older model Jeep parked on the dirt in
their back yard.Two of those vehicles, the Chevrolet and the Jeep have
been sitting there for about a year, or more.Sooner or later, the city
is going to haul those vehicles off to the impound yard.I think the
Saturn car does run though.A year ago, their garbage can tipped over and
spilled some garbage onto my yard, he blamed it on me! They are the
reason about a year ago I had to build a fence along the side of my yard
to keep them from driving and parking on my yard.They 'think' they own
everything!
cuhulin

N8N

Mar 18, 2010, 2:13:51 PM3/18/10
On Mar 18, 1:53 pm, "C. E. White" <cewhi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> "N8N" <njna...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I think this bad boy would look OK with a little sawzall treatment,
whaddaya think?

http://members.cox.net/njnagel2/2008_06_01/2008_06_01_003.JPG

Too bad Studebaker never saw fit to offer a K-body convertible...

nate

cuh...@webtv.net

Mar 18, 2010, 7:43:12 PM3/18/10
I would like to find a good old Studebaker to fix up.I like the ones
that had the venetian blinds in the rear window.
cuhulin

Nate Nagel

Mar 18, 2010, 10:12:54 PM3/18/10

Let me know when you get serious, I can help. (seriously.)

start by checking out the SDC forums...

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

heinbaug...@gmail.com

Sep 4, 2015, 5:13:01 AM9/4/15
I'm looking for an A/C condenser on my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. AutoZone for $162 O'Reilly's for $172 Napa for $241 Which is my best bet?

.

Sep 4, 2015, 7:51:17 AM9/4/15
Rockauto.com

Paul in Houston TX

Sep 4, 2015, 5:52:26 PM9/4/15
heinbaug...@gmail.com wrote:

> I'm looking for an A/C condenser on my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. AutoZone for $162 O'Reilly's for $172 Napa for $241 Which is my best bet?

Who are the mfg's and where are they made?

dsi1

Sep 8, 2015, 3:31:23 PM9/8/15
Your best bet is to buy all three, compare them, keep the best one, and return the others. You might want to also buy the condenser from the dealer and also a $60 part from eBay. My guess is that they'll be pretty much the same. Please be the guinea pig and find out if this is really true.

.

Sep 8, 2015, 3:49:32 PM9/8/15
On 9/8/2015 2:45 PM, . wrote:

Were I you, I'd opt for the DENSO 4770835 at Rock Auto
for $75.89 plus shipping. Bought lots from them, only ever one
issue which for which they made right and absorbed all costs.

Because you didn't provide sufficient particulars, I'm guessing a
mite, just be sure to check the catalog for your exact application.

.

Sep 8, 2015, 3:55:22 PM9/8/15

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?tab=search&mfr=DENSO&partnum=4770835

> Because you didn't provide sufficient particulars, I'm guessing a
> mite, just be sure to check the catalog for your exact application.

Or get it from PartsGeek
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/2085-05354143.html

From either, shipping is about $10.

gfcom...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2016, 3:46:56 PM1/6/16
I just ant to say that it is very important. Would you buy cheap parts on ebay?

Paul in Houston TX

Jan 6, 2016, 4:42:49 PM1/6/16
gfcom...@gmail.com wrote:
> I just ant to say that it is very important. Would you buy cheap parts on ebay?

Maybe. It depends on the part, part mfg, price, shipping cost, and rating of the seller.

thekma...@gmail.com

Jan 6, 2016, 8:41:47 PM1/6/16
cuh...@webtv.net wrote: "their back yard.Two of those vehicles, the Chevrolet and the Jeep have
been sitting there for about a year, or more.Sooner or later, the city
is going to haul those vehicles off to the impound yard.I think the"

And just WHERE is this - some communist country??
Vehicles sitting in their BACK yard might be towed off
by the city?

AMuzi

Jan 7, 2016, 8:46:29 AM1/7/16
Yes, USA is now a communist country.

My employee's father has an RV in my parking lot (with
current tags) after he was threatened with a tow from his
own driveway as 'abandoned vehicle'.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Scott Dorsey

Jan 7, 2016, 10:03:02 AM1/7/16
In article <4de601b3-cbd0-46d4...@googlegroups.com>,
<gfcom...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I just ant to say that it is very important. Would you buy cheap parts on ebay?

The problem is that really none of them tend to have consistently good
quality. I try and work with locally-owned shops whenever possible.

I will say that the top tier parts from NAPA tend to be better than the
top tier products from the other chains... but the lower tier ones are just
as bad as the lower tier ones from the other chains.

And yes, I'd buy parts on ebay. Sometimes that's the only way to find some
things for older cars.
--scott

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2016, 3:39:21 PM1/7/16
On 01/07/2016 05:46 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 1/6/2016 7:41 PM, thekma...@gmail.com wrote:
>> cuh...@webtv.net wrote: "their back yard.Two of those vehicles, the Chevrolet and the Jeep have
>> been sitting there for about a year, or more.Sooner or later, the city
>> is going to haul those vehicles off to the impound yard.I think the"
>>
>> And just WHERE is this - some communist country??
>> Vehicles sitting in their BACK yard might be towed off
>> by the city?
>
> Yes, USA is now a communist country.
>
> My employee's father has an RV in my parking lot (with
> current tags) after he was threatened with a tow from his
> own driveway as 'abandoned vehicle'.

The City gave us static about "too many vehicles" -- all of which were
either currently registered or in official non-op status. That's why we
sold the 55 Chevy for $500 and the 58 Chevy pickup for $100.

Before that I had vaguely thought that zoning regs were OK. Not any
more. If it's intrusive or none, I pick none.

--
Cheers, Bev

The Real Bev

Jan 7, 2016, 3:44:37 PM1/7/16
I've used Pep Boys for decades. Their 'lifetime' parts really are --
when I took a water pump (or something) from the used car we just bought
to make sure I got the right replacement they said "That's one of ours"
and gave me a new one. Even brake pads were lifetime.

I've never bought car parts from ebay, but I've never had any problems
with any of the electronics I've bought. Some trivial things have
disappeared in the mail or been bad at birth, and the companies made
good on those. I'd worry about buying expensive stuff, but so far so good.

--
Cheers, Bev

JR

Jan 8, 2016, 2:02:35 PM1/8/16
What is in my back yard now? I am Glad you asked. My old trailer that I enclosed a few years ago with pressure treated two by fours and pressure treated plywood and no nails, I hand twisted every one of those screws in there, my 1914 Ford Model T is inside my trailer. Near my trailer sits my 1948 Willys Jeep. Maybe I ought to build a shed around my Jeep.Other stuff in my back yard, my old metal trailer steps I use when I wash the top of my van in my driveway and my two wheels yard cart. And my sweet 13 years old Australian Blue Heeler Cattle Dog that died of cancer last September, I buried herself in my back yard. Rest in Peace, Blueberry doggy.

nathan rector

Jan 11, 2016, 1:17:05 PM1/11/16
As a owner of two German autos,I use Ebay,or Ebay.de solely. They don't have the high prices mark up as chain stores.I use TRW and Moog parts,as they are good,some German parts are high,and they also now outsource.My experince with Communist China parts is they last 30 days.

Jc Maxwell

Jan 20, 2016, 1:15:38 PM1/20/16
This may be a little off-topic, but I went through something vaguely similar when buying parts for a front brake job on a Mazda 2.

One afternoon I went to three local shops: Pep Boys, Advance Auto, and O'Reilly, in roughly that order.

Only two had the front rotors, and wanted about $50 each.

All three had pads, which varied from $50 to $60 a set (unless I misunderstood, and that was for only *one* wheel).

None of those had as much markup as the mechanic: he wanted to use "premium" rotors at $88 each (ouch!) and a brake pad set priced at $83. I know mechanics have overhead costs, but the labor cost is already sky-high, so this markup seems just silly. I don't think you have to pay "premium" prices to get a decent set of rotors, do you? Further incentive to learn how to do the brakes myself.

Meanwhile, I found a front brake rotor & pads kit (including ceramic pads), at least claming to be original equipment quality rotors, on Rockauto.com for $88 and change.

It doesn't have quite the convenience of going into a retail store, but if you plan ahead, you can save a whole lot of money.

con...@black-ridge.com

Feb 18, 2016, 12:22:50 PM2/18/16
You guys got that right. Zoning is all about the rich folks sensitive nature. They might be offended by seeing an older vehicle. Such a thing might affect the impression they are trying to make with their visitors. BS crap! Not many freedoms left in this country. Even a starving person would be arrested for poaching the "kings" fish or deer. We are easily just as bad now in this country as it was in europe when people were fleeing to come to america when this country was first discovered. Think about it. You don't even own your own home if they can tax you on it. Fall on hard times and they take it away from you.

JR

Feb 18, 2016, 12:46:32 PM2/18/16
NAPA store people wouldn't let me use their restroom to take a leak. I never go to NAPA anymore.

.

Feb 18, 2016, 1:09:16 PM2/18/16
---

Yeah, Capitalism, isn't it just great.

.

Feb 18, 2016, 1:09:54 PM2/18/16
On 2/18/2016 11:46 AM, JR wrote:

> NAPA store people wouldn't let me use their restroom to take a leak. I never go to NAPA anymore.

Lucky NAPA, they're no doubt STILL counting their blessings.

dsi1

Feb 18, 2016, 3:13:18 PM2/18/16
I don't typically use either. These days I forget about the middleman
and just buy stuff on eBay. I just got a kit with water pump, timing
belt, tensioner and pulley, and cam seals, for $150. I also ordered some
headlight housings for $129/set. I'll probably have to pick up a turbo
which will also cost around $190 to $250. These prices sure make living
with a 04 Passat easier.

JR

Feb 18, 2016, 6:18:15 PM2/18/16
Google/WhatEva,,, Independent Auto Parts Stores ...in your State/City ...Nomada WhatEva Youtube

>>>Ashton Crusher

Feb 20, 2016, 6:31:48 PM2/20/16
Sometimes the part numbers and brand for a particular part is the same
at Autozone or ORiellys as it is at NAPA but when that is the case the
price is usually higher at NAPA.

JR

Feb 20, 2016, 11:22:50 PM2/20/16
There is an automotive electric repair shop less than one mile West from me. Alernator/starter motor repair, I take them to that shop.

dsi1

Feb 22, 2016, 3:42:26 AM2/22/16
We had one down our street too. That was a good thing but they moved. Too bad. My recommendation is that you use the bathroom before you take your starter or alternator to your shop - whatever you do, don't ask to use their bathroom! OTOH, using the bathroom in an automobile parts place seems to be a losing proposition most times.

JR

Feb 22, 2016, 3:22:31 PM2/22/16
Graves Auto Electric (shop) on Highway 80. As sure as I am sitting here on doggy's couch, I am 100 percent certain that Graves Auto Electric would let me use their rest room. It was in January, a cold morning and I had drank a LOT of coffee, about five or six years ago when I was at that NAPA store on West Highland Drive. Long before that, the Autozone store on Ellis Avenue did let me use their rest room. You know how it T'is, When you got to GO, you GOT TO GO!

dsi1

Feb 22, 2016, 6:02:19 PM2/22/16
Asking to use the bathroom is a dead sure way to find out who your real
friends are. This is why I always let people use my bathroom.

JR

Feb 22, 2016, 9:37:34 PM2/22/16
Test em out. Can I use your rest room. (No) Tell them Bye, and go to another auto parts store.

lopez_...@mail.fresnostate.edu

Feb 28, 2017, 12:27:25 AM2/28/17
On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 7:02:52 PM UTC-7, cuh...@webtv.net wrote:
> In January of this year, I went to a NAPA store.I had already drank a
> lot of coffee that morning and it was cold weather.As soon as I got to
> that NAPA store, I needed to use the rest room, it was sort of an
> emergency.They would not let me use their rest room.There is NO way on
> Earth I will ever go to any NAPA store ever again! In my opinion, those
> ''people'' who work at that NAPA store discriminated against ME.If you
> know what I mean?
> There are plenty of other auto parts stores around here, I don't need
> NAPA.
> cuhulin

Was reading through your comment and since i work at NAPA we don't let costumers use restrooms because of incidents that have happened with costumers children messing with the toilet which causes it to overflow and then employees have to clean up the mess, if it were up to us we would but its company policy to not let costumers use restrooms anymore, we "people" would never discriminate against anybody.

dsi1

Feb 28, 2017, 2:50:51 AM2/28/17
That's a poor policy. For more information on this try, being refused a bathroom when you got to go. My guess is you'll be able to figure out why it's a bad policy real quick.

mmpoo...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2017, 10:00:02 AM3/1/17
I have worked for all three companies in the last 5 years and as both an employee and a customer I feel O'reillys is by far superior in customer service(Lifetime Warranties) which will be tracked under your phone number, they also 9/10 are the cheapest of the three and if you ever find that they aren't, they will gladly do price adjustments to and competitors price as long as its not an online only retailer(amazon, LMC, ECT). when i was employed with auto zone I was rebuilding the whole front steering and suspension on my truck and after buying tie rods only to find mismatching parts in the boxes labeled with the same P/N and missing half my zero fittings and castle nutss that were "included" I decided my employee pricing wasn't worth the lack of quality and peace of mind, so I bought 99% of my parts at O'reillys have had no complaints with any of my new front end thus far, and they even hired me on the spot. which I am grateful for, the benefits are far better and the environment I work in is great, love every member on my team,love coming to work and working along side parts countermen whom I can trust to provide the same advice and customer service that we all hope to find when we walk through the doors at our local parts house.

On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 9:29:16 AM UTC-7, /dev/phaeton wrote:
> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> sides.
>
> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
> by the same contractor.
>
> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
> sounding to me than the store brands.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

Kevin Bottorff

Mar 1, 2017, 2:42:00 PM3/1/17
mmpoo...@gmail.com wrote in
nice sales pitch, Orileys is seldom as cheep as the others, but what I
like is they have it in stock. If I got to have it now thats where I
check first. KB

beksat...@gmail.com

Sep 10, 2017, 10:11:18 PM9/10/17
Honestly as an ex-mechanic I prefer AutoZone without a doubt and here is why:
1.Good prices good parts. You can never go wrong with Duralast... I mean the name even sounds sexy.. Dura (Greek) means strong Last (English) means lasts for a good time.
2. The customer service cannot be matched. Within 5 seconds of me being in the store the workers were offering me drinks and food and making feel at home. Then they make sure they ask for your rewards card so you dont miss out on any points. Check engine light? They gotcha. Need to test a battery, alternator or a starter? they gotcha. Need to replace a battery? they gotcha. Need new windshield wipers but dont know how to put them on? they gothca.
3. Theyre knowledge. Incredible people with the best experience and suggestions. They once told me that the reason my car was acting the way it was because I had a missing axle nut. Sounds pretty simple right? but guess what.. they didnt even look at my car and they knew what was wrong. Best damn customer care and product store in the whole freaking America.
4.Their website... easy, understandable, not hard. dont know what youre looking for? call them they will literally stop what theyre doing and help you so you can go to bed at night without having to worry about a damn car. Cant spell because you never got your diploma or GED? just type in part of the word and it shows up.
Now lets discuss O'Reillys
you walk in and its a fucking shit show. Workers sometimes dont even dress according to the dress code... i mean one time i walked in and this guy was picking his nose and then he asks me if i wanna buy sea foam? i looked at him and i realized this aint autozone so i shouldve seen this coming. then i go over and ask one of their workers if they have a heater core for a 04 dodge caravan... guess what he says? Whats that.. now as a person who was raised right i knew the right think was to calm down.. but my fist wasnt listening so i reach over the counter and glock this dumbass in his stupid o'reillys face.. and guess what he does goes to bathroom and cries. If i were to do that at Autozone i wouldve got my ass whooped. I mean one time some customer started yelling at the store manager and the manager kicked ass out and straight no glove beat his ass infront of his kids. Yeah kids got scarred so bad they repeated 4th grade. Then the manager comes over and asks me if everything is ok.. and i go dude u gotta be shitting fam, i came here to buy a heater core and ur worker doesnt know what that is.. and he apologizes and finds me m stuff and he is checking me out. Now guess what he doesnt do ask for my rewards which is good because i dont have one. I leave the store all pissed and i forgot to pick up a radiator hose and i over to autozone and guess what they knew what it was and they helped. SO moral of this story is fuck O'Reillys they can eat a bag of shit them dumbasses probably think blinker fluid is real smh

Kevin Bottorff

Sep 11, 2017, 10:07:50 PM9/11/17
beksat...@gmail.com wrote in
ya know, for a troll you don`t even tell a good story. KB

Mr Trumppet

Sep 6, 2018, 8:18:05 AM9/6/18
replying to cuhulin, Mr Trumppet wrote:
They are allowed to refuse you. Those bathrooms are private and why should
they have you go use their bathroom and then piss all over the seat and then
they have to clean it up? I work at an autozone and I refuse the use of a
bathroom, one because our bathrooms are private and for employees only, and I
don’t feel like cleaning up after some scumbag off the street.

--
for full context, visit https://www.motorsforum.com/tech/napa-vs-autozone-vs-o-reilly-price-and-quality-91240-.htm

dsi1

Sep 6, 2018, 5:12:00 PM9/6/18
I think to be fair, there shouldn't be any bathrooms at work. Everybody has to do their "business" at home. This will help build a world of super men and women.

Roger Blake

Sep 7, 2018, 2:33:33 PM9/7/18
On 2018-09-06, Mr Trumppet <065b0505594b06f549...@example.com> wrote:
> replying to cuhulin, Mr Trumppet wrote:
> They are allowed to refuse you. Those bathrooms are private and why should
> they have you go use their bathroom and then piss all over the seat and then
> they have to clean it up? I work at an autozone and I refuse the use of a
> bathroom, one because our bathrooms are private and for employees only, and I
> don’t feel like cleaning up after some scumbag off the street.

If someone needs a public bathroom all they need to do is head over to
the nearest Starbuck's. One has to give Starbuck's kudos for solving a
long-standing problem in Manhattan and other large cities - the lack of
public bathrooms.

Of course in many areas you might not want to go into one of those bathrooms
without a hazmat suit after the indigenous "public" gets done with them.

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org

ce...@fisherautoparts.com

Sep 11, 2018, 9:17:59 AM9/11/18
Around here they don't know their ass from a hole in the ground! They ask me if I have rear disc or drum brakes for a wheel cylinder!

They also don't know the difference between a resistor spark plug and a non resistor!

Mount Shine

Apr 18, 2023, 7:53:27 AM4/18/23
On Tuesday, 16 March 2010 at 22:41:27 UTC+5:30, cuh...@webtv.net wrote:
> You might also check Advance auto parts, if there is a store in your
> area.Or, http://www.jcwhitney.com
> Call their toll free number, ask them to send you a free catalog,
> pertaining to your interest.
> cuhulin

Napa and autozone are good sites to buy automobile products. They have almost covered every product a customer needs for his car or truck. We were also looking for information on duralast battery to create an informative blog post for our site. We used Autozone as our reference.

Here is the final result:

https://www.mountshine.com/best-duralast-battery-for-cars/

Scott Dorsey

Apr 18, 2023, 1:17:37 PM4/18/23
In article <6f282a05-c39b-4e3a...@googlegroups.com>,
Mount Shine <mounts...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, 16 March 2010 at 22:41:27 UTC+5:30, cuh...@webtv.net wrote:
>> You might also check Advance auto parts, if there is a store in your
>> area.Or, http://www.jcwhitney.com=20
>> Call their toll free number, ask them to send you a free catalog,
>> pertaining to your interest.
>> cuhulin
>
>Napa and autozone are good sites to buy automobile products. They have almo=
>st covered every product a customer needs for his car or truck. We were als=
>o looking for information on duralast battery to create an informative blog=
> post for our site. We used Autozone as our reference.

Glad to see more people replying to Cuhulin's post after 13 years. Hope he
is still alive since God knows webtv isn't. "For parts that are blown, step
into the zone!"
--scott

Michael Trew

Apr 22, 2023, 9:30:00 PM4/22/23
MSN kept the WebTV E-mail addresses active, as long as you don't allow
the mailbox to go dormant (or perhaps even if you do). I know people
who still use WebTV domains. I still use my original @MSN.com dial up
account E-mail address, but I don't post to Usenet with it -- the dial
account is long-gone.