Chevy Astro Rear Door is Frozen..

George Dakin

Jan 3, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/3/98

Mike VanBrunt wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> My '91 Chevy Astro's Rear Door is stuck. The latch just sort of flops
> around as if it is not attached to anything. I need to get to the
> internal lock housing in order to repair the lock, but this requires
> the door to be OPEN, to remove the interior trim panels.
>
> Is there anything I can do, short of attempting to force it open..
>
> Advice GREATLY Appreciated..
>
> Mike VanBrunt
> vanb...@tamu.edu

I had a 88 Astro van and had the same problem. I didn't have the benefit
of a shop manual. I found that I had to remove the plastic license plate
panel. Unfortunately I broke that plastic part. I was then able to open
the door. I found all the parts I needed at a local wrecking yard. That
was a few years ago, wasn't very expensive, But I would have thought
there would be an easier way to gain access. I will be interested to see
what other replies are received. Good luck George

Mike VanBrunt

Jan 4, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/4/98

SRingenber

Jan 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/5/98

>Chevy Astro's Rear Door is stuck.

Pull the inside panel just enogh to get your arm in and youll feel two rods
inside (usually the the cam breaks off the outside handle where the rod
connects) Pull /push the loose rod to open door.
then pull the access panel on the edge of door (4 screws )

Hoodoo

Jan 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/6/98

I have an '88 also and my rear door latch screwed up. While trying to
troubleshoot/repair it part of the mechanism broke. I have since been
driving it with a makeshift way of securing the doors. I like my Astro
but it seems I am not alone with this aggravating door design.

Bill

In article <68mnqd$4uf$1...@excalibur.flash.net>, George Dakin
<"da...@flash.net"@flash.net> says...

> Mike VanBrunt wrote:
> >
> > Hi Folks,

Mr. Joseph B. Fulton

Jan 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/7/98

I have had the same problem with the left door (looking from the rear)
on my 85 Astro for some time. I have been able to get the door open by
holding the door near the bottom and push/pulling it while tripping the
latch. Good Luck. My old Astro (170,000 miles) is goin' on the
market as soon as my son is finished with it at college. It's been a
good one, and I'm not gonna spend even a little money on that door.