F1 TV channels:a list

gob...@eudoramail.com

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

Here's the latest list for people unhappy with their F1 TV coverage, or lack
of it. A radio may be handy for the commentary (though I only know BBC Radio 5
Live - in English 693mw/909 khz or Astra Transponder 69, 11.553 ghz
Horizontal).

UK fans: don't spam the ng with complaints about ITV ads, get RTL.

The number of GP's covered by each channels varies and some (DSF and ARD) only
have certain highlights. Most will have teletext or web-sites to check for
coverage.

Satellite TV magazines/outlets will give you the channel details
(Astra/Hotbird etc), or contact your operator if you have Cable. Some of the
following are only terrestrial however. Let me know any useful info.

I'm keen to help Spaniards who seem very keen but my sources are unclear what
F1 they get. Can someone in Spain let me know? TV 3 provided the Spanish GP
coverage but perhaps that's the only one live in Spain. RTL, RTP 1 and TF 1
may be options (does Gibraltar get F1? (ITV?)) that could be an option too.

Happy zapping

Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct e-mail me etc)

Argentina --> Channel 3
Asia --> Star TV
Australia --> Channel 9
Austria --> ORF
Belgium --> Kanaal 2
Brazil --> Globo TV
Canada --> TSN/RDS
Caribbean --> Speed Vision
Chile --> Channel 7/TVN
Denmark --> DR 1
Finland --> MTV 3
France --> TF 1/Canal Satellite
Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF and ARD have some highlights)
Hungary --> Magyar TV 1
Ireland --> RTE 2
Italy --> Rai Due
Japan --> Fuji TV
Mexico --> TV Azteca
Mozambique --> RTP Africa
Netherlands --> RTL 4
New Zealand --> Sky Sport
Norway --> NRK
Poland --> Canal +
Portugal --> RTP 1
Russia --> TV Center
Slovakia --> TV Markiza
Slovenia --> POP TV
South Africa --> SABC 1/MNET Supersport
Spain --> TV 3/ETB
Sweden --> TV 4
Switzerland --> TSR 2/SF 2
United Kingdom --> ITV
United States --> Fox/Speed Vision (Some areas)
Uruguay --> Channel 4
Venezuela --> Televen Channel 10

I zap between ITV and RTL and listen to BBC Radio 5 Live if necessary.

I hope this helps.

I'll try to get some TV channel web-links done for the next update. Always
look for "F1 TV channels: a list" or something simliar on this ng as I
sometimes have difficulty maintaining a thread with my software.

Just so this posting appears for everyone:
DR1 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai2 Rai 2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus Polska RTP1 TV-Center
TV centre M-Net Supersport SABC1 TV3 TSR2 SF2 "4" Network 2 Speedvision
Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1

I belive some in Europe are trying to watch F1 on ITV (commentators Murray
Walker and Martin Brundle). They provide the British Commonwealth feed. I'd
recommend these 3 methods to see ITV in Europe:

1. Ask your Cable for ITV. ITV does have 15 different names/versions (!) Your
Cable company may know ITV under one of these names. They all show F1.
LWT, Carlton, Central, Granada, Scottish, Anglia, Grampian, Harlech,
Tyne-Tees, Yorkshire, Ulster, Meridian, Channel, West Country, Border.

But I don't think any Cable outside the British Isles has any version of ITV
(none of them are on any satellite, Granada Plus etc are not ITV). Cable
is worth a try though.

2. Get the raw ITV F1 feed. You need a mobile dish. Point it at the Intelsat
801 satellite (10.971 ghz, vertical PAL). Some sports cafes do this. You won't
get commentary. But no adverts either!

3. Get ITV with your aerial. (ITV does reach parts of mainland Europe and the
Irish Republic) point your aerial to the nearest part of the UK to
you. ITV (Channel TV) is broadcast to/from the Channel Islands and Ulster TV
reaches the Irish Republic to give some idea how far the signals can go.

Frederic Collin

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

For Belgium you can also add Eurosport21

Ian Hill

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

gob...@eudoramail.com wrote:

> UK fans: don't spam the ng with complaints about ITV ads, get RTL.

Yes, I'm sure people are going to go and buy a satellite TV system
especially so they can watch RTL for 20 mins total every 2 weeks. :-)

--
Cheers
Ian Hill, Cambridge, UK

gob...@eudoramail.com

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

..
> >Here's the latest list (2nd today!) note some changes: I managed to track
down the original 1997 author in Holland. He does an F1 magazine mail out too
but won't have time to update this list here (I will though). He will to mail
it out instead. Get on the list at www.grandprix.home.ml.org

Something called Supreme Racing and also Formula One Update carry this list on
their sites too apparently. See? fans can help each other. I use a number of
sources.

> >Happy zapping
> >

> >Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct e-mail me etc)
> >

> >Argentina --> Telefe

> >Australia --> Channel 9
> >Austria --> ORF

> >Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21

> >Brazil --> Globo TV
> >Canada --> TSN/RDS
> >Caribbean --> Speed Vision
> >Chile --> Channel 7/TVN
> >Denmark --> DR 1
> >Finland --> MTV 3
> >France --> TF 1/Canal Satellite
> >Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF and ARD have some highlights)
> >Hungary --> Magyar TV 1
> >Ireland --> RTE 2
> >Italy --> Rai Due

> >Latvia --> LNT

> >Japan --> Fuji TV
> >Mexico --> TV Azteca
> >Mozambique --> RTP Africa
> >Netherlands --> RTL 4
> >New Zealand --> Sky Sport
> >Norway --> NRK
> >Poland --> Canal +
> >Portugal --> RTP 1
> >Russia --> TV Center
> >Slovakia --> TV Markiza
> >Slovenia --> POP TV

> >South Africa --> SABC 3/MNET Supersport

> >Spain --> TV 3/ETB
> >Sweden --> TV 4
> >Switzerland --> TSR 2/SF 2

> >Turkey --> NTV

> >United Kingdom --> ITV
> >United States --> Fox/Speed Vision (Some areas)
> >Uruguay --> Channel 4

> >Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV

Te Le Fe Eurosport21 SABC3

> I'll be maintaining the thread and/or posting new lists. Web-sites look as
if they are realising what some fans want. Canal + (like Speedvision) seems to
cover several countries. But as eg RTL covers all of Europe too I've decided
to keep things simple. Just study the list carefully.

gob...@eudoramail.com

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

In article <3559BB...@NOSPAM.cam.ac.uk>,

But can they really be big f1 fans if they don't? If they were they would get
RTL. How much money are they spending complaining about the ITV ads on
Usenet?

Check the ng (and the real world)and you'll find people are getting RTL.

I do genuinely sympathise with dishless people, but what does spamming the ng
without mentioning RTL do (apart from annoying others world-wide using
Usenet)? Second hand dishes are cheap now and there's no subscription with
RTL. Besides, if our media told people about RTL I wouldn't need to.

RTL 2 has some decent unscrambled porn too (off subject).

gob...@eudoramail.com

May 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/20/98

And here again is the updated list: Go back up the thread or see my other "F1
TV channels: a list" postings for more info. Please keep the info coming. I
still need confirmation about the situation in Spain and Asia. Can we help the
Germans out too? (They hate RTL).

People with mobile dishes can get uninterrupted F1 TV feeds (see
alt.satellite.tv.europe). Sports cafes do this.

Happy zapping

Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct e-mail me etc)

Argentina --> Te Le Fe

Australia --> Channel 9
Austria --> ORF
Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21
Brazil --> Globo TV
Canada --> TSN/RDS
Caribbean --> Speed Vision
Chile --> Channel 7/TVN

Denmark --> DR 1/DR 2 (races shared)
Finland --> MTV 3
France --> TF 1/Canal Satellite/Canal +
Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF/ARD have highlights, including Friday)

Hungary --> Magyar TV 1
Ireland --> RTE 2
Italy --> Rai Due

Japan --> Fuji TV
Latvia --> LNT
Malaysia --> Star Sports

Mexico --> TV Azteca
Mozambique --> RTP Africa
Netherlands --> RTL 4
New Zealand --> Sky Sport
Norway --> NRK

Poland --> Canal + Polska
Portugal --> RTP 1
Romania --> Pro TV

Russia --> TV Center
Slovakia --> TV Markiza
Slovenia --> POP TV
South Africa --> SABC 3/MNET Supersport
Spain --> TV 3/ETB
Sweden --> TV 4
Switzerland --> TSR 2/SF 2
Turkey --> NTV
United Kingdom --> ITV
United States --> Fox/Speed Vision (Some areas)
Uruguay --> Channel 4
Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV

Denmark has 2 sisters channels sharing the races (as the BBC used to).
Unfortunate if you can only get one of them. Some channels cover adjacent
nations (eg Speed Vision, Canal +) but I try to keep things simple, just study
the list carefully. Some channels have identical names in different countries
but are not the same channel! (Eg Sky Sports in NZ and UK, only the NZ one
shows F1).

Getting a comprehensive list is difficult (enough people are trying!). I'll
keep trying too.

ITV and RTL's F1 coverage is like Mikhail Gorbachev, hated in their own
countries, but loved by others! (One UK magazine headed a letter of mine about
the RTL/ITV ad zapping situation "RTL Rescue"!) Often the Commonwealth
seems to use ITV instead of their own people!

Here's how to enjoy a full F1 weekend with just a standard UK dish.

Friday practice highlights ARD, DSF
Qualifying live ITV, RTL (ARD highlights)
Saturday magazine ITV, DSF "Warm-up:Formel 1 Talk"
Race live ITV, RTL
Race highlights ITV, DSF
Race re-run ITV, RTL

DSF's magazine is shown every week during the season. The 3 German channels
have their teletext TV indexes on page 300 with today's programmes from 301
upwards.

Always look for "F1 TV channels: a list" or something simliar on this ng as I
sometimes have difficulty maintaining a thread with my software.

Just so this posting appears for everyone:

DR1 dr2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai2 Rai 2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus RTP1 TV-Center TV
centre M-Net Supersport SABC3 TV3 TSR2 SF2 "4" Network 2 Speedvision Kanaal2
MTV1 MTV 1 Eurosport21 telefe RTE2 Star Sport

gob...@eudoramail.com

May 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/27/98

Here's the list again. See other "F1 TV Channels:a list" too. If you go on
Holiday let me know when you come back where you saw F1 if it's not on the
list. I'll be putting radio channels on too soon, as well as who takes breaks
during the action (some do, some don't). Let me know this info. BBC Radio 5
Live and Radio Canada are 2 I have at the moment.

> People with mobile dishes can get uninterrupted F1 TV feeds (see
> alt.satellite.tv.europe). Sports cafes do this.
>
> Happy zapping
>
> Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct e-mail me etc)
>
> Argentina --> Te Le Fe
> Australia --> Channel 9
> Austria --> ORF

> Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21/Canal +

> Brazil --> Globo TV
> Canada --> TSN/RDS
> Caribbean --> Speed Vision
> Chile --> Channel 7/TVN

> Croatia --> HRT
> Denmark --> DR 1/DR 2 (races shared)/Canal +
> Finland --> MTV 3/Canal +

> France --> TF 1/Canal Satellite/Canal +
> Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF/ARD have highlights, including Friday)
> Hungary --> Magyar TV 1

> Indonesia --> ANTV
> Ireland --> RTE 2
> Italy --> Rai Due (Telepiu has highlights)

> Japan --> Fuji TV
> Latvia --> LNT
> Malaysia --> Star Sports
> Mexico --> TV Azteca
> Mozambique --> RTP Africa
> Netherlands --> RTL 4
> New Zealand --> Sky Sport
> Norway --> NRK
> Poland --> Canal + Polska
> Portugal --> RTP 1
> Romania --> Pro TV
> Russia --> TV Center
> Slovakia --> TV Markiza
> Slovenia --> POP TV
> South Africa --> SABC 3/MNET Supersport
> Spain --> TV 3/ETB
> Sweden --> TV 4
> Switzerland --> TSR 2/SF 2
> Turkey --> NTV
> United Kingdom --> ITV
> United States --> Fox/Speed Vision (Some areas)
> Uruguay --> Channel 4
> Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV

Speedvision blocked in Canada apparently. Don't blame me! It's been the case
for ages. Rai Due is blocked outside Italy (by RTL I think). Sometimes this is
just scrambling though, watchable for a few minutes.

> Always look for "F1 TV channels: a list" or something simliar on this ng as
I sometimes have difficulty maintaining a thread with my software.

> Just so this posting appears for everyone:
> DR1 dr2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai2 Rai 2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus RTP1 TV-Center TV
> centre M-Net Supersport SABC3 TV3 TSR2 SF2 "4" Network 2 Speedvision Kanaal2

> MTV1 MTV 1 Eurosport21 telefe RTE2 Star Sport Canal+ an TV

Glenys Williams

May 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/28/98

On Wed, 27 May 1998 15:23:16 GMT, gob...@eudoramail.com wrote:

>> South Africa --> SABC 3/MNET Supersport

It's shown live on 3, and then on 1 or 2 late at night. Not on Mnet.

Glenys

cakes,balloons,jellies,fun!

put my first name and pop.onwe in the relevant places

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jun 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/1/98

> Here's the list again. See other "F1 TV Channels:a list" too. If you want
free updates sent straight to you (from someone else) by e-mail, go to
http://grandprix.home.ml.org and sign up. Or e-mail form...@plex.nl and ask
for the free newsletter with contains it. I'm co-operating with 2 other list
providers to pool knowledge. There might be minor discrepancies from each
source though, as it's updated at different times by 3 different people. There
should be a web-site www.formula1.com (the 3rd source) carrying a list soon.
Eventually of course there should be just one standard list as all the info is
discovered.

An important piece of info (which I have now started to include) is whether
the live action is continuous or not. Try to let me know this with your e-mail
info. I think I called Radio Canada a radio station before. RDS shows the
European races, Radio Canada the others.

> > People with mobile dishes can get uninterrupted F1 TV feeds (see

alt.satellite.tv.europe). Sports cafes do this. Check on web-sites or
teletext for coverage. RTL shows every race and qualifying live.

> > Happy zapping
> >
> > Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct e-mail me etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: Adverts during action?
Argentina --> Te Le Fe ?
Australia --> Channel 9 Yes
Austria --> ORF ?
Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21/Canal + ?/?/?
Brazil --> Globo TV No
Canada --> TSN/RDS/Radio Canada (TV) Yes/?/?
Caribbean --> Speed Vision ?
Chile --> Channel 7/TVN ?/?
Croatia --> HRT 3 Yes (30 seconds)
Denmark --> DR 1/DR 2 (GP's shared)/Canal + ?/?/?
Finland --> MTV 3/Canal + ?/?
France --> TF 1/Canal Satellite/Canal + Yes/?/?
Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF/ARD highlights) Yes/No
Hungary --> Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia --> ANTV ?
Ireland --> RTE 2 Yes
Italy --> Rai Due (Telepiu has highlights) Yes (5 seconds!)
Japan --> Fuji TV ?
Latvia --> LNT ?
Malaysia --> Star Sports ?
Mexico --> TV Azteca ?
Mozambique --> RTP Africa Yes
Netherlands --> RTL 4/Canal + ?/?

New Zealand --> Sky Sport No

Norway --> NRK No
Poland --> Canal + Polska ?
Portugal --> RTP 1 Yes
Romania --> Pro TV ?
Russia --> TV Center ?
Slovakia --> TV Markiza ?
Slovenia --> POP TV ?
South Africa --> SABC 3 ?
Spain --> TV 3/ETB ?/?
Sweden --> TV 4 No
Switzerland --> TSR 2/SF 2 ?/?
Turkey --> NTV ?
United Kingdom --> ITV/(BBC Radio 5 on radio) Yes (use RTL)/No
United States --> Fox/Speed Vision (Some areas) Yes/?
Uruguay --> Channel 4 ?
Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV ?/?

If the list gets really big I may break it up into continental sections,
listing the countries in alphabetical order after. Even in English, countries
have more than one name (UK, United Kingdom, Britain, Great Britain - Holland,
The Netherlands - Ireland, Irish Republic, Republic of Ireland, Eire etc). A
very long list could make searching in the present format difficult. Even then
Turkey, Russia and some other countries lie in more than one continent.!

F1 TV politics
The adbreaks on Rai Due during F1 are just 5 seconds long! It is scrambled on
satellite outside Italy, even on Cable (on RTL orders I think). All UK viewers
get RTL if they have a dish (the British media ignore this). I wonder what Ian
Paisley and Gerry Adams etc make of people on both sides of the Irish
border zapping to each others TV during the respective ads?! And how many
Britons no longer slag off the Germans in F1 because RTL saves us? I don't
think ITV knew about RTL when they bought F1, thinking that since Eurosport
had stopped, they were ok! Another rumour is that ITV confused F1 with CART
(!) thinking natural breaks occured, only realising after the deal that they
didn't! (The cars do look sort of simlilar, but it's like confusing Tower
Bridge with the old London Bridge and buying the wrong one. Nobody's that
stupid ........ )

RTE 2 is another name for Network 2. F1 on Speed Vision is scrambled in Canada
on Cable, perhaps on satellite too. Malaysia is very strict with it's own TV
(it's often cited as an example by British clean-up TV campaigners(!)) But it
lies within range of the Star satellite, which it can't control!

The status of Canal + and Speed Vision alters on the list as I find out more
and assess whether they are official or unofficial in a country. Sky keeps
promising to start it's digital f1 service in the UK. It will be pay-per-view.
I'll add it to the list when it starts.

RTL is by far the channel used by most Europeans when their TV has no F1 or to
zap out the ads. I watch RTL when ITV decide to miss DH pasing MS to lead,
think Barrymore etc is more important than Canada qualifying, a princess dies,
the 2 leading cars drop out within a lap, or Coulthard's engines blows up in
Monaco ...... I still don't know why Japan qualifying wasn't shown live by ITV
last year. I wondered if ITV would screw up at Jerez last year. They didn't
(ESPN 2 did though, missing MS ramming JV) Is Fox better? Read the postings on
this ng, er no it isn't!

ITV and RTL (and possibly others) have live teletext pages during the races,
giving positions. I compared the 2 briefly during Monaco. ITV is 5 laps
behind, RTL about 8. Not that live then!

> > Just so this posting appears for everyone:

DR1 dr2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai2 Rai 2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus RTP1 RTP Portugal
TV-Center TV centre TV-centre SABC3 TV3 TSR2 SF2 "4" Network 2 Speedvision

Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 Eurosport21 telefe RTE2 Star Sport Canal+ an TV

tele piu Star Sport

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. For free updates by e-mail, go
to http://grandprix.home.ml.org or e-mail form...@plex.nl

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for details of the
direct TV feeds. Remember, not every race/qualifying is shown live by all of
the following channels (RTL and DF 1 are the only ones I know that definitely
do) check web-sites/teletext etc on the others. If going abroad, help me out
if you visit a country not on the list and see F1, I'd be grateful if you
sent me the details.

Happy zapping:

Television stations showing F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: Adverts during action?

Angola --> RTP Africa Yes

Argentina --> Te Le Fe ?
Australia --> Channel 9 Yes
Austria --> ORF ?
Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21/Canal + ?/?/?
Brazil --> Globo TV No
Canada --> TSN/RDS/Radio Canada (TV) Yes/?/?

Carribean --> Speed Vision ?

Chile --> Channel 7/TVN ?/?

Croatia --> HRT 3 Yes (30 seconds!)
Denmark --> DR 1 or DR 2 (GP's shared) ?/?/?

Finland --> MTV 3/Canal + ?/?

France --> TF 1/Canal +/Canal Satellite Yes/?/?

Germany --> RTL/DF 1 (DSF/ARD highlights) Yes/No
Hungary --> Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia --> ANTV ?
Ireland --> RTE 2 Yes

Italy --> Rai Due (Telepiu highlights) Yes (5 seconds!)

Japan --> Fuji TV ?
Latvia --> LNT ?
Malaysia --> Star Sports ?
Mexico --> TV Azteca ?

Monaco --> Tele Monte Carlo ?

Mozambique --> RTP Africa Yes
Netherlands --> RTL 4/Canal + ?/?
New Zealand --> Sky Sport No
Norway --> NRK No
Poland --> Canal + Polska ?
Portugal --> RTP 1 Yes
Romania --> Pro TV ?
Russia --> TV Center ?
Slovakia --> TV Markiza ?
Slovenia --> POP TV ?

South Africa--> SABC 3 ?

Spain --> TV 3/ETB ?

Sweden --> TV 4 No

Switzerland --> TSR 4/SF 2 ?
Turkey --> NTV ?
UK --> ITV/(BBC Radio 5 Live on radio) Yes (use RTL)/No

Uruguay --> Channel 4 ?

USA --> Fox/Speed Vision Yes/?

Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV ?/?

I recommend Germany's RTL as you're "second" channel if you can get it.

RTL advantages.
It shows all the races and qualifying live.
It is unscrambled (free) once you have a dish.
Lots of pre/post-race analysis.
Kai Ebel (pit reporter) asks sensible questions (compared with ITV's!)
A few reports are in English.

RTL disadvantages.
The breaks are at least 6 minutes long (2 in qualifying, 3 each race).
The commentators (Heiko Vasser, Jochen Mass) are apparently terrible.
Some say jingoistic coverage (though I dispute this).
M Schumacher is God (but he is the best driver!)
Post race press conference coverage patchy.

Denmark (and the idea behind the list). Danes have been e-mailing me about
their F1 TV listing. They have 2 sister channels showing it (UK readers will
remember the BBC doing this). It's on either DR 1 or DR 2, not on both at the
same time, which I knew. Getting both is easy for Danes, but Swedes e-mail me
saying they can't get DR 2 (for some reason) and sometimes need F1 from
Denmark, so asked me to make Denmark's listing clearer to them. The idea
behind the list is to explain to people outside a country how to get F1 from
that country's TV. But English (the only language I can speak) can be
difficult to learn fully. I accept "races shared" by itself might confuse
people. People might think it's on both at the same time, swaps half-way
through a GP (sounds like "race is shared") or races alternate equally. Look
at Denmark's listing now. Does it make sense to everyone? I don't like making
very long postings carrying every bit of info and try to stick to the basic
list. If you want more, see my other F1 TV postings on this ng.

Let me know more about where Speed Vision and Canal + show F1 officially too.
Canal + has a Norwegian version, but does it show F1? Denmark's doesn't (more
Danish e-mails!) There are 2 NRK channels in Norway, as far as I know if you
get one, you get the other. If that's not the case I'll seek clarity on which
one shows F1.

South Africa now has only one F1 channel. RTP Africa is received in
Portugal's former African colonies if that helps. I've added Angola. Did
Portugal rule only Mozambique and Angola? If ITV was sent to Britain's former
African colonies that would probably cover most of the continent!

Some are saying Rai Due don't always show qualifying live. Back in 1994, I
had Rai Uno and it was on that sometimes, perhaps it still is. (Aah,
nostalgia ... F1 qualifying on 4 channels at once, BBC 2, Eurosport, RTL, Rai
Uno, luxury ...)

These lines are just so the posting appears on all searches. (eg F1+DF1)

DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai 2 RAI2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1
RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV Centre SABC3 TV3 "4" TV4 Speedvision
Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 tele piu an
tv network 2 Star Sport RTE2 hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca

Jeandré

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98
to gob...@eudoramail.com

> Nation: F1 TV Channel: Adverts during action?
> South Africa--> SABC 3 ?

South Africa SABC 3 Yes

The show has comentary from ITV. The post race english interviews are shown, but
without pre- or post-race commentary from the ITV team.

There is a latenight repeat on SABC 1, also with ads, but because it is recorded,
the entire race is shown. Schedules at http://www.sabc.co.za/topsport/motor.htm

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jun 22, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/22/98

Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels, a slightly new layout, cramped
(I'll sort that) but more info. For free updates by e-mail go to

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or alt.satellite.tv for details of the TV feeds.
Check web-sites/teletext etc for coverage. I've given some URL's. Obviously
remember the time-zone differences. See my previous postings on this subject
on this ng for more rhetoric and previous lists. The "Adverts?" column means
"Is the action interrupted?". Some channels (eg TV 4) do have adverts, but
not during the action. The Radio column is a bit bare at the moment! Need
some help.

Happy zapping:

Television/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me
etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio Adverts? URL's

Angola --> RTP Africa Yes
Argentina --> Te Le Fe ?
Australia --> Channel 9 Yes

Austria --> ORF ? www.orf.at
Belgium --> Kanaal 2/Eurosport 21 ?/?
Canal + ?
Brazil --> Globo TV No www.redeglobo.com.br/
Canada --> TSN/RDS Yes/? www.tsn.ca
CBC (Canadian GP only) ? www.rds.ca
Radio Canada (TV) ?
Cape Verde --> RTP Africa ?
Carribean --> Speed Vision Yes www.speedvision.com
China --> Star Sports ?

Chile --> Channel 7/TVN ?/?
Croatia --> HRT 3 Yes

Denmark --> DR 1 (some GP's on DR 2) ?/? www.dr.dk/

Finland --> MTV 3/Canal + ?/?

France --> TF 1/Canal + Yes/? www.tf1.fr/
Canal Satellite ? www.cplus.fr/
Germany --> RTL/DF 1 Yes/No www.rtl.de/
DSF/ARD (highlights) www.df1.de
Guinea Bis --> RTP Africa ?

Hungary --> Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia --> ANTV ?
Ireland --> RTE 2 Yes

Italy --> Rai Due Yes
Telepiu (highlights)

Japan --> Fuji TV ?
Latvia --> LNT ?
Malaysia --> Star Sports ?
Mexico --> TV Azteca ?
Monaco --> Tele Monte Carlo ?
Mozambique --> RTP Africa Yes

Netherlands --> RTL 4/Canal + Yes/?

New Zealand --> Sky Sport No

Norway --> NRK No www.nrk.no/

Poland --> Canal + Polska ?
Portugal --> RTP 1 Yes

Romania --> Pro TV ? www.protv.ro

Russia --> TV Center ?

Sao Tome EP --> RTP Africa ?

Slovakia --> TV Markiza ?
Slovenia --> POP TV ?

South Africa--> SABC 3 Yes www.sabc.co.za/
Spain --> TV 3/ETB ? www.tvc.es/
Sweden --> TV 4 No www.tv4.se/

Switzerland --> TSR 4/SF 2 ?
Turkey --> NTV ?

UK --> ITV BBC Radio 5 Yes/No www.itv.co.uk

Uruguay --> Channel 4 ?

USA --> Fox/Speed Vision Yes/Yes www.foxsports.com

Venezuela --> Televen 8/Meridiano TV ?/?

Anyone with time to search out any more URL's and either posting a reply on
this ng or directly to me would be doing me a big favour. In the previous
posting I asked for Portugal's former African colonies (I did know all of
them got F1 on RTP Africa). I got the answers.

The 2 Swiss channels were once the same channel and called "4". See previous
postings for more cross-referencing on this thing.

US F1 coverage on Fox.
Fox, like ITV, has different names in different parts of the country. (See a
show F1). Fox F1 viewers: go to http://www.foxsports.com then bring up the F1
schedule. There's a box to enter your Zip Code to see how/if your local
Affiliate is showing each race. I'll try to get a full Fox list of affiliates
anyway. I gather Fox doesn't (yet) cover the whole US and this ng has queries
from Yanks asking what Fox is called in certain areas and if it exists in
places.

Canadian F1 coverage. You'll know from previous postings how complicated
Denmark's F1 coverage is to explain to everyone. Canada's makes Denmark's
look like 1+1=2! Fox's coverage (or lack of it) annoys many Americans, who
therefore try to watch Canadian TV. So I'll try to explain (Canadians, feel
free to correct). TSN covers most races (and quite often qualifying too).
Speed Vision is available, but it's F1 coverage is scrambled in Canada (by
order of TSN I think). CBC covers only the Canadian GP. RDS covers the
European races, Radio Canada, a TV station (!) covers the others. Phew! I'd
move to the southern states and watch Mexican TV!

Sky Box Office (UK) This is the planned PPV digital F1 coverage in the UK. It
will only be available in certain UK areas to begin with. I don't think it
will be available on Digital Terrestrial (not enough space) only Digital
Satellite or Digital Cable. If it's like DF 1 it will have all the sessions
(practices/warm-up/qualifying) the timing data and will allow you to change
camera angles yourself or split the screen. No adverts either.

It won't be cheap though, you'll need a new box (both satellite and Cable
subcribers) probably a new satellite dish and then about £10 for each GP
weekend (I gather that's what DF 1 costs Germans). Sports cafes might have it
though. I'm sticking to ITV, RTL and Radio 5.

These lines are just so the posting appears on all searches. (eg F1+DF1 and
F1+DF 1)

DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai 2 RAI2 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1
RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV Centre SABC3 TV3 "4" TV4 Speedvision
Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 tele piu an

tv network 2 Star Sport RTE2 hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca Star Sport

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jun 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/30/98

Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. I may change the structure in
future postings, putting it in to continental sections. Get free e-mailed
updates at http://grandprix.home.ml.org or e-mail form...@plex.nl and ask.

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or alt.satellite.tv etc for details of the TV
feeds (and how to get these channels if possible). Check for F1 coverage
details, I've given some URL links (space has limited whether I've put
http:// or not to make links automatically, w's are missing from www on some
too so I could squeeze them in). See my previous postings under similar
headings for more rhetoric/FAQ's/details. The "Adverts?" column means "Is the
action interrupted?". Filling the radio column will enable people to get
commentary in their preferred language, whatever TV station they watch.

Happy zapping:

Television/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me
etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio Adverts? URL's
Angola -->RTP Africa Yes
Argentina -->Te Le Fe ?

Australia -->Channel 9 Yes http://design.net/nine/
Austria -->ORF ? http://www.orf.at
Belgium -->Kanaal 2 ?
Eurosport 21 ?
VTM (Dutch) ?

Canal + ?
Brazil -->Globo TV No www.redeglobo.com.br/

Canada -->TSN/RDS Yes/? http://www.tsn.ca
CBC (Canadian GP) ? http://www.rds.ca
Radio Canada (TV) ? www.radio-canada.com
Cape Verde -->RTP Africa Yes
Carribean Is-->Speedvision Yes www.speedvision.com

Chile -->Channel 7/TVN ?/?
China -->Star Sports ?

Croatia -->HRT 3 Yes w.hrt.hr/index-eng.html
Denmark -->DR 1 or DR 2 ?/? http://www.dr.dk/
(GP's shared) -
Finland -->MTV 3/Canal ?/? http://www.mtv3.fi
France -->TF 1/Canal + Yes/? http://www.tf1.fr/
Canal Satellite ? http://www.cplus.fr/
Germany -->RTL/DF 1 Yes/No http://www.rtl.de/
ARD/DSF (highlights, - http://www.df1.de
including Friday) - http://www.sportschau.de
- http://www.dsf.de
Guinea-Biss -->RTP Africa Yes

Hungary -->Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia -->ANTV ?

Ireland -->RTE 2 Yes ww.rte.ie/tv/index.html

Italy -->Rai Due Yes

Rai Tre (qualifying) Yes
Telepiu (highlights) -

Japan -->Fuji TV ?
Latvia -->LNT ?
Malaysia -->Star Sports ?
Mexico -->TV Azteca ?
Monaco -->Tele Monte Carlo ?
Mozambique -->RTP Africa Yes
Netherlands -->RTL 4/Canal + Yes/?
New Zealand -->Sky Sport No

Norway -->NRK No http://www.nrk.no/
Peru -->America TV ?

Poland -->Canal + Polska ?
Portugal -->RTP 1 Yes

Romania -->Pro TV ? http://www/protv.ro

Russia -->TV Center ?

Sao Tome +Pr-->RTP Africa Yes

Slovakia -->TV Markiza ?
Slovenia -->POP TV ?

South Africa-->SABC 3 Yes http://www.sabc.co.za
SABC 1 (re-run) -
Spain -->TV 3/ETB ?/? http://www.tvc.es
Sweden -->TV 4 No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland -->TSR 4/SF 2 ?/?
Turkey -->NTV ?
UK -->ITV BBC Radio 5 Yes/No http://www.itv.co.uk

Uruguay -->Channel 4 ?

USA -->Fox/Speedvision Yes/Yes www.foxsports.com
Venezuela -->Televen 8 ?
Meridiano TV ?

Fox F1 viewers in the US: Go to http://www.foxsports.com and bring up the F1
race schedule. There is a box to enter your Zip Code. When you do, it tells
you if/how your local Fox affiliate is showing a GP (Nothing, live,
highlights, delayed etc).

I'll try to get a full Fox list of affiliates. If Fox is like ITV in the UK,
some people can get more than one version. For the record I can only get one
version of ITV (Central). At least all ITV versions show F1 in the same way
(crap!)

Dutch Viewers: During the French GP Murray Walker said the Dutch can get F1 on
ITV but didn't say how. The only methods I know are on Cable (?) receiving the
direct signal from a UK transmitter or receiving the direct satellite feed. If
anyone knows another, let me know. See previous "F1 TV channels:a list"
postings for full details of the 3 methods.

Somebody on this ng was holidaying in Malta (which gets the terrestrial
unscrambled Rai TV signals) and said it didn't have qualifying on Rai Due
(it's on Rai Tre so they missed it!) That's why I give very full detailed
info for each country and put it on as soon as I get it.

The only channels I know that show Friday practice are DF 1 (live) with DSF
and ARD having highlights of 15 and 25 minutes respectively. (See a previous
posting about full German/British TV coverage across a whole GP weekend).
Perhaps Friday is available in France too since they have a PPV option on
Canal+.

The FIA feed. I think this was a result of the FOCA/FISA wars. 5 minutes
before the parade lap all the channels have to hook up to the FIA TV feed
(signalled by that short animation and jingle some channels show). So having
more than one channel won't help the problem of the local director being crap
(and they usually are). Every channel gets the same camera shots until the
race is over. The only solution is PPV digital (to my knowledge only
available so far in France (Canal Satellite) and Germany (DF 1)) which allows
you to change angles yourself. Some channels (eg RTL) do cut away to
independent cameras when a race is stopped (eg after a serious incident)
going back to the FIA feed before the restart. Because the (heavily
criticised) ITV don't, I suspect it's a matter of money why not.

Unsynchronised radio and television. This is a weird phenomena if you witness
it! Living in England I see the ITV picture typically arriving about 1 second
before the RTL one. Obviously caused by the fact that the RTL signal travels
further, so arrives later. With German GP's they arrive together, rarely
though the reverse is true (possibly delay circuits at ITV). If you watch a
TV and listen to a radio for commentary (as I do during the ITV breaks) 1
second is ok. The real problem is if the radio "leads" the TV noticably,
which depends on a range of factors (if the TV leads the radio, some
comentators are so dopey it's hard to tell!) Sometimes I "watch" Sky's PPV
boxing free on Germany's Premiere TV (sad) and listen to BBC Radio 5 Live and
find the radio leads by several seconds! You hear, "He's down" and then
seconds later you see the punch! I really will have to learn German! (Or pay
Sky £10!)

The Canal + thing is now confusing everyone (including me). Canal + in France
does not have a contract with the FIA, but does show F1! So presumably,
approaching the FIA for a definitive list wouldn't work! Apparently, just
sponsoring a team allows you to (you've probably seen the Canal + logos on
the Prost team). Canal + in Denmark doesn't show F1, Poland's does. The rest
I'm not 100% sure about, but apparently yes. Confirmation of each is needed.

With Speedvision it's slightly clearer. You can get it in some parts of the
USA (I'll try to find out exactly where). Canada's situation is disputed
though. Some say you can get it but the F1 broadcasts are scrambled (so I
don't list it for Canada). Some say you can see it properly though. (Perhaps
it depends whether you watch on Cable or satellite). I need full
confirmation.

I watch F1 closely for TV logos on mikes in driver interviews/press
conferences or on cars etc for clues (they are unlikely to be there if their
channel doesn't show F1). Another method I use is monitoring ng postings
about F1 TV to gain info.

The advert situation world-wide so far isn't good is it? (Obviously the
column is irreIevant with non-live coverage). I thought it would be 50/50 but
basically it appears unless you pay (eg NZ Sky Sport/DF 1) or tend to live in
Scandinavia things are bleak. Most fans though (outside the UK) are familiar
with the notion of eavesdropping on another country's channel. Strangely, the
adbreaks on RTL's coverage last more than 6 minutes, but on RTL 4's last less
than 2! I thought they always co-incided exactly.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches. (eg F1+DF1 and
F1+DF 1)

DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai 2 RAI2 rai3 RAI 3 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus Polska

Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV Centre SABC3 TV3 "4" TV4

Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl
1 Tele piu an tv network 2 Star Sport RTE2 hrt3 Radio-Canada Television
Azteca America Television

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jul 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/6/98

Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates (a
newsletter with a basic list of live TV race coverage) at
http://grandprix.home.ml.org or e-mail form...@plex.nl and ask. Useful
web-sites are http://www.formeleins.de and http://supremeracing.com and
http://www.eurotv.com too.

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or alt.satellite.tv etc for info on the TV feeds
(and how to get these channels if possible). Check for F1 coverage details via
the URL links. See my previous postings under similar headings for more

rhetoric/FAQ's/details. The "Adverts?" column means "Is the action
interrupted?".

Happy zapping.

Television/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me
etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio Adverts? URL's

Angola -->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Argentina -->Te Le Fe ? http://www.telefe.com

Australia -->Channel 9 Yes http://design.net/nine/

Austria -->ORF No http://www.orf.at
Belgium -->Kanaal 2 ? http://www.vtm.be
Eurosport 21 ?
Canal + ? http://www.cplus.be

Cape Verde -->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Croatia -->HRT 3 Yes http://www.hrt.hr

Denmark -->DR 1 or DR 2 ?/? http://www.dr.dk/
(GP's shared) -

Finland -->MTV 3/Canal + ?/? http://mtv3.fi
France -->TF 1/Canal + Yes/No http://www.tf1.fr/
- http://www.cplus.fr/
Canal Satellite No ww.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

Germany -->RTL/DF 1 Yes/No http://www.rtl.de/

- http://www.df1.de
ARD/DSF (highlights, - http://www.sportschau.de
including Friday) - http://www.dsf.de
Guinea-Biss -->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Hungary -->Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia -->ANTV ?
Ireland -->RTE 2 Yes ww.rte.ie/tv/index.html

Italy -->Rai Due Yes http://www.rai.it
Rai Tre (qualifying) Yes http://www.rai.it
Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/
Tele + Analogue -

(highlights) -
Japan -->Fuji TV ?
Latvia -->LNT ?
Malaysia -->Star Sports ?
Mexico -->TV Azteca ?

Monaco -->Tele Monte Carlo Yes
Mozambique -->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Netherlands -->RTL 4/Canal + Yes/?
New Zealand -->Sky Sport No
Norway -->NRK No http://www.nrk.no/
Peru -->America TV ?

Poland -->Canal + Polska ? www.it.com.pl/canal/
Portugal -->RTP 1 Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Sao Tome +Pr-->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Switzerland -->TSR 4/SF 2 No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey -->NTV ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/

UK -->ITV BBC Radio 5 Yes/No http://www.itv.co.uk

- http://www.bbc.co.uk

Uruguay -->Channel 4 ?
USA -->Fox/Speedvision Yes/Yes www.foxsports.com

- www.speedvision.com

Venezuela -->Televen 8 ?
Meridiano TV ?

E-mail me with specific requests (eg "How do I get F1 in Miami, USA?") and
I'll see what I can do. You'll probably find that previous postings from me
on this topic and the ng's and URL's I given will provide a quicker answer
though. I list all coverage because I can't possibly know what channels are
available to everyone in every country (affording Cable etc). Similarly, the
advert column is so if you have to choose between having one channel or
another this may help you decide.

The Belgians seem to have a decent choice don't they? Kanaal 2 is also called
VTM according to UK Gold Teletext. I can never remember which way round it is
but did the Dutch rule the Belgians until the last century or vice-versa?
Anyway the result appears to be a shared culture near the border areas. The
TV in the area reflects this. If anybody has info on Luxembourg it would help
as all 3 of these peoples seem to have very close links (collectively called
The Low Countries or Benelux). The reason why Eurosport 21 covers F1 and
Eurosport doesn't must be financial or contractual. Star TV reaches Turkey,
I'll check if F1 is on Star Sports there. I've been trying for info on the
Middle East but not much luck yet. Spain has a Canal + version but I've no
idea if it shows F1. I'll try to find out.

Spain's TV 3 is also called TV Catalunya. The F1 morning Warm Up is shown on
PPV channels and (rarely) on RTL. Still no sign of PPV F1 as a choice in the
UK.

If I can convince the guy at http://www.formeleins.de to carry all the links
(it already carries some) I'll delete them from my future postings and just
refer people to the web-site. He links direct to the F1 schedules too (I
don't do this through lack of space and I wonder if these pages are always in
the same place, the front pages usually are). That will enable me to carry
another useful column here. (The translation of "Formula 1" to make searching
web-sites easier? The commentators on each channel?) Let me know if you can
think of a better info column to carry.

When I started doing this list (a Dutch guy began it but now only does it on
e-mail, we co-operate) I thought I'd know all the places that'd come up. That
I'd get e-mails from Americans. They had a vice-president (Dan Quayle) who
thought Latin American countries spoke Latin! That they'd ask things like,
"Where are Slovakia and Slovenia?", "Aren't they the same country?", "Aren't
they near Mexico?" and I'd have a good laugh and explain it all to them. (In
the way British people love to think Americans are daft).

Then someone mentioned Sao Tome + Principe, Cape Verde and Guinea-Bissau! Er,
right! I supposed "They're Portuguese ex-colonies in Africa, I know they
colonized coastal parts of Southern Africa, so they must be near South
Africa" I looked in an atlas. Serves me right!

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai 2 RAI2 rai3 RAI 3 RTL4 Sky Sports Canal Plus Polska

Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV
Catalunya "4" TV4 Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe
Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu Tele+ Tele+ digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star
Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca America Television Fuji Television

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jul 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/14/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates (a
newsletter with a basic list of live TV race coverage) at
http://grandprix.home.ml.org or e-mail form...@plex.nl and ask. Useful
web-sites are http://www.formula1.com/circuits/greatbritain/tv.html (F1 TV
schedules) http://www.formeleins.de (TV page links)and http://www.eurotv.com
(general TV schedules) too.

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV

feeds (and how to get these channels if possible). Check for F1 coverage
details via the URL links. See my previous postings under similar headings
for more rhetoric/FAQ's/details. The "Adverts?" column means "Is the action

interrupted?" E-mail me if you still can't get an F1 TV choice.

http://www.rds.ca
CBC (Canadian GP) ? http://www.cbc.ca

Chile -->Channel 7/TVN ?/? http://www.tvn.cl/

China -->Star Sports ?

Croatia -->HRT 3 Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus -->RIK 2 ?
Czech Rep -->TV Prima ?

Finland -->MTV 3 ? http://www.mtv3.fi

France -->TF 1/Canal + Yes/No http://www.tf1.fr/
- http://www.cplus.fr/

-->Canal Satellite No w.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

Ireland -->RTE 2 Yes http://www.rte.ie/

Italy -->Rai Due Yes http://www.rai.it
Rai Tre (qualifying) Yes http://www.rai.it
Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/

Tele + Analogue - http://www.telepiu.it/

(highlights) -
Japan -->Fuji TV ?

Latvia -->LNT ? http://www.lnt.lv/
Lebanon -->LBC 1 ? http://www.lbcsat.lb

New Zealand -->Sky Sport No http://www.sky.co.nz

Norway -->NRK No http://www.nrk.no/
Peru -->America TV ?
Poland -->Canal + Polska ? www.it.com.pl/canal/
Portugal -->RTP 1 Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Romania -->Pro TV ? http://www.protv.ro
Russia -->TV Center ? http://www.centertv.ru

Sao Tome +Pr-->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Singapore -->Star Sport ?

SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za

Spain -->TV 3/ETB ?/? http://www.tvc.es

-->Canal satelite No http://www.csatelite.es/

Sweden -->TV 4 No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland -->TSR 4/SF 2 No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey -->NTV ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/
UK -->ITV BBC Radio 5 Yes/No http://www.itv.co.uk
- http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay -->Channel 4 ?
USA -->Fox/Speedvision Yes/Yes www.foxsports.com
- www.speedvision.com
Venezuela -->Televen 8 ?
Meridiano TV ?

I wonder whose job it is to assign those little appendices to each countries
URL's and how they decide? They're not always the same as the IVR's on cars
are they? And what about all those new countries in Eastern Europe and those
ones in Africa that keep changing their name? Must be a headache!

E-mail me with specific requests (eg "How do I get F1 in Miami, USA?") and
I'll see what I can do. You'll probably find that previous postings from me
on this topic and the ng's and URL's I given will provide a quicker answer

though. Canal + has F1 in some places, not in others. eg It's not in
Scandinavia. Nobody understands it!

Still a few ?'s in the Adverts column but it looks a bit better for the fans
world-wide now. AFAIK TV companies make their own decisions based on how much
they pay for the rights, how many watch, if the channel is free, what FOCA
say and what the TV regulators in each country say. I thought tradition
counted but in the UK it didn't. I doubt very much that ITV will alter it's
policy.

In the UK the Internet is still the only place you'll find lists of this
kind. This, I believe, is part of the Great RTL Scandal/Conspiracy of Silence
(the mainstream British media not telling fans about RTL despite mentioning
thousands of complaints about the ads). The Mirror newspaper said in an
August 1997 editorial that watching F1 on TV in the UK during an ITV break is
impossible! (They knew about RTL). They censor letters sent in too and just
allow the ones that say "In the future digital TV will enable people to watch
foreign TV". Anyone with a dish in the UK has able to watch foreign TV since
at least 1989! Makes you wonder about the other reports in papers doesn't it?
(Or perhaps since it's the British press it doesn't!)

Because 3 of my hobbies are F1, The Internet and Satellite TV, I often post to
this ng assuming people already know all about the other 2, which they may not
(and why should they?)

For technical, marketing and commercial reasons I won't bore you with, people
with dishes in the UK can eavesdrop on many German channels. I post saying
`everyone in the UK with a dish gets RTL' it's about 93% actually. The other
7% presumably being those ex-pats from Southern Europe or the Middle East and
those watching Scandinavian TV for adult stuff and perhaps still the Premier
League soccer, who use other satellites. (To those who know, I'm keeping it
simple, I know RTL is on Hotbird in MPEG as well as Astra in PAL).

If anyone has any firm information about the future of F1 TV in the UK I'd be
pleased to know. The latest *rumours* are that PPV is planned as an option
soon (September, but Sky have postponed it 3 times already), that it will
become exclusive by 2001, and that the BBC and Eurosport plan on buying it
back in 2001 (obviously they can't all be true!)

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

Globo TV Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai 2 RAI2 rai3 RAI 3 RTL4 Sky

Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya "4" TV4 Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV

1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu Tele+ tele+ digital

an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca America

Television Fuji Television lbc1

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and
then make the change".

Risto Lankinen

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
Hi!

gob...@eudoramail.com wrote in article
<6ofvba$sk9$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com>...

> Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels.

Nice list. Thanks for posting!

> Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio Adverts?

> Finland -->MTV 3 ?

... and yes, they have commercials on MTV3.

terv: Risto L.

Jon Petersson

Jul 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/15/98
<gob...@eudoramail.com> wrote in message 6nqvh4$3jk$1...@nnrp1.dejanews.com...

>See alt.satellite.tv.europe or alt.satellite.tv etc for info on the TV
feeds
>(and how to get these channels if possible).

I'd like to recommend the SATCO DX Satellite Chart at www.satcodx.com.

From the site:

"This service intends to cover all TV & radio channels on satellites around
the world in the Ku, C and S bands. Special features are home page &
teletext links, beams, footprints links and all relevant technical data"

I find it excellent!
---
Jon Petersson (http://user.tninet.se/~rdv654m/Jon.html)
Allez Jacques! Hyvä Mika! Vai Pedro! Go Damon! Forza Giancarlo!

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jul 23, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/23/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates
(including an F1 newsletter) at http://grandprix.home.ml.org or e-mail
form...@plex.nl and ask.

Useful web-sites are http://www.formula1.com/circuits/greatbritain/tv.html
(F1 TV schedules) http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and
http://www.eurotv.com (general TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details
via the TV URL's below or on teletext. CNN International's Time Zone guide is
on teletext page 450.

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV
feeds (and how to get these channels). Visit http://www.satcodx.com for
details too. See my previous postings on this thread for more
rhetoric/FAQ's/details. The "Adverts?" column means "Action interrupted?"

E-mail me if you still can't get an F1 TV choice.

Happy zapping.

TV/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me etc)

Brazil ->Globo TV No http://www.redeglobo.com.br/
->Radio Canada (TV) ? http://www.radio-canada.com
Cape Verde ->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Carribean Is->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Chile ->Channel 7/TVN ?/? http://www.tvn.cl/
China ->Star Sports ?
Croatia ->HRT 3 Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ?
Finland ->MTV 3 Yes http://www.mtv3.fi
->Canal Satellite No www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/
->ARD/DSF - http://www.sportschau.de
(highlights) - http://www.dsf.de
Guinea-Bissa->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Hungary ->Magyar TV 1 Yes
Indonesia ->ANTV ?
Ireland ->RTE 2 Yes http://www.rte.ie/
Italy ->Rai Due Yes http://www.rai.it
->Rai Tre Yes http://www.rai.it
(qualifying) - -
Lebanon ->LBC 1 ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb
Poland ->Canal + Polska ? http:// www.it.com.pl/canal/
Portugal ->RTP 1 Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Romania ->Pro TV ? http://www.protv.ro
Russia ->TV Center ? http://www.centertv.ru
Sao Tome +Pr->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Singapore ->Star Sports ?
Slovakia ->TV Markiza ?
Slovenia ->POP TV ?
South Africa->SABC 3 Yes http://www.sabc.co.za
-> SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za
Spain ->TV 3/ETB ?/? http://www.tvc.es
->Canal Satelite No http://www.csatelite.es/
Sweden ->TV 4 No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland ->TSR 4/SF 2 No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey ->NTV ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/
UK ->ITV BBC Radio 5 Yes/No http://www.itv.co.uk
- http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ?
USA ->Fox Sports Yes http://www.foxsports.com
->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Venezuela ->Televen 8 ?
->Meridiano TV ?

Portugal's RTP main URL page doesn't give much info about RTP Africa (but
expect it to link to other pages soon). The direct pages are at
http://www.rtp.pt/teletexto/gif2/374-01.htm and then 374-02 ...., 375-01

Get ORF (silly British pun). According to the www.formula1.com F1 TV
schedules site above, Austria's ORF shows Friday (both sesions) and Saturday
morning all live as well as qualifying, the Sunday warm-up and the race live
for each GP! Not bad for a free channel (no adverts either!) It also names
RTL in Bulgaria but I think that's just available by getting the German
version, not official.

I'm still struggling for F1 radio stations, if anyone has any info I'd be glad
to get it. I see the mikes of the German radio station SDR 1 in some German TV
F1 paddock interviews but nothing confirmed yet.

There are only 4 people on the Net doing these F1 TV lists AFAIK and I have
searched hard. 2 British, 1 Dutch and a German (sounds like the beginning of
a joke doesn't it?) We're sticking to different parts (Web, E-mail, Usenet).
Because the lists are updated at different times by different people and
because channels like Canal + and Speedvision cover several countries but not
F1 in all of them there will be discrepancies, hopefully not too many.

My motivation was I just got fed up with people complaining about the ITV ads
(and the British media not mentioning RTL) and found other people said they
couldn't subscribe to this ng because the traffic was too high. I hope I've
lessened the TV complaint postings, helping everyone out. There are virtually
none now on the dedicated British media ng's! (Though that might not be
entirely down to the RTL info being continually put out by me). There were
loads before however, annoying other readers.

I'll track down a web-site with a more detailed time-zone guide than CNN's
teletext page in case not everyone has CNN or teletext. Remember that although
Greenwich is in London, England, GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) is not always the
time in London! (I think most countries have daylight saving time for 6 summer
months a year). The CNN guide takes all this into account. (UK, how many times
have you met someone who thinks the time in say, Bristol, is different to that
in London by about 15 minutes? I still do!)

Somebody told me there is no such thing as teletext in the USA! Is that true?
If not (perhaps because the USA uses a 525 line TV system) teletext came
about when it was discovered in the 1970's that not all of the UK 625 TV
lines of the PAL broadcasting standard were needed. About 5-6 were left spare
and could carry text that could fill the screen on demand of the viewer. PAL
TV channels use them (a sort of database) to carry info. Very useful.

If someone on the Web can carry all the TV URL links, I'll use the spare
column left here to carry the broadcasting method of the channels (satellite,
Cable, networked, a combination etc) and (perhaps even more useful) if the
channel is scrambled/encrypted. Suprisingly, many of the satellite ones
aren't (eg RTL, TV Prima).

I try to be accurate and use countries names that will be recognised by
others. Does anyone know why we British spelt Romania, Rumania before about
1980 (the Revolution was in 1989) yet still pronounce it Rumania today! Was
is Ceacescu's feted visit to the UK in 1978? The country was named after the
Romans.

Holland/The Netherlands
Because the original author used Netherlands (and is Dutch) I do. It's easier
for others to recognise too (Nederland, Niederlande etc). Though it's called
Pas-Bays in France! I've never been able to find out if the Dutch think using
Holland is disrecpectful. There is a TV quiz host here (William G Stewart) who
always makes a point of correcting contestants who answer "Holland" to a
question!

I follow the original author with Ireland too. If space allows I will change
it to the more accurate Irish Republic, merely because that is more correct
(this issue is certainly political, even more so since I'm British). Using
Eire would save space but would be hard for others to recognise. Officially,
only Turkey (and Northern Cyprus itself) recognise Northern Cyprus but RIK is
in the "accessible" South.

Discretion Is The Better Part Of Valour. You may have noticed that when Eddie
Irvine finishes on the podium, sometimes the Union Jack flag of the UK is
raised, sometimes the Irish Tricolour flag. I'm not sure what part Irvine
fully plays in this. Watching German TV broadcasts of championship tables
etc, they can't decide his nationality either. I only read the (sometimes
censored) British media reports but apparently this causes a problem amongst
some in Northern Ireland.

It's a fact that across the whole island of Ireland people can watch F1 on
both ITV and RTE 2 and many on both sides of the border zap to and fro
(chiefly because of the adverts on both). Monitoring comments on Usenet this
doesn't seem to matter, you never know though. It may depend where you search
on Usenet or mean that extremist's views expressed via other media may not be
typical of the general population. If you're in the Middle East a similar may
arise if Israel shows F1, or doesn't and has fans who want to (Lebanon does,
Saudi Arabians have been asking for my list!) The Greece/Cyprus/Turkey
situation is volatile, Croatia recently fought in a civil war, Angola too,
Guinea-Bissau still is! The Star satellite reaches all of Asia but countries
have differing policies towards Star TV (pro, anti, indifference). Exactly
how/if they stop it somehow I don't know, but I know that some Asian
countries used to ban dishes. That's why I don't list it for each Asian
country until someone says.

I live in England and have never visited these places so have no real idea how
great the risk is in these parts of the world if you go around telling people
you watch a contentious country's TV. Might be a good idea to be discreet
though.

On a lighter note, we in Britain tend to zap to German TV on satellite (RTL)
when ITV break. This just makes us annoyed at ITV!

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky

Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya "4" TV4 Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV

1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu Tele+ tele+ digital

an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca America

Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1

"If you want to make the world a better place, take a look at yourself and
then make the change".

gob...@eudoramail.com

Jul 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM7/30/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates
(including an F1 newsletter) by e-mailing form...@plex.nl

Useful web-sites are http://www.formula1.com/circuits/greatbritain/tv.html
(F1 TV schedules) http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and
http://www.eurotv.com (general TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details
via the TV URL's below or on teletext. CNN International's Time Zone guide is
on teletext page 450.

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV

feeds (and how to get these channels) or visit http://www.satcodx.com Go back
up this thread for more rhetoric/FAQ's/details. The "Adverts?" column means

"Action interrupted?" E-mail me if you still can't get an F1 TV choice.

Happy zapping.

TV/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio: Adverts? URL
Angola ->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Argentina ->Te Le Fe ? http://www.telefe.com
Australia ->Channel 9 Yes http://design.net/nine/
Austria ->ORF No http://www.orf.at

Bangladesh ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Belgium ->Kanaal 2 Yes http://www.vtm.be
- ->Eurosport 21 ? ?
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.be

China ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

- ->Canal Satellite No http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

India ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Indonesia ->ANTV ? ?

Ireland ->RTE 2 Yes http://www.rte.ie/
Italy ->Rai Due Yes http://www.rai.it

- ->Rai Tre Yes http://www.rai.it
- (qualifying) - -

- ->Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/

- ->Tele + Analogue - http://www.telepiu.it/
- (highlights) - -
Japan ->Fuji TV ? ?

Latvia ->LNT ? http://www.lnt.lv/
Lebanon ->LBC 1 ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb

Lithuania ->LTV ? ?
Malaysia ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Nepal ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Pakistan ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Singapore ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Spain ->TV 3/ETB Yes/? http://www.tvc.es

UK ->ITV Yes http://www.itv.co.uk
- - BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ?

USA ->Fox Sports Yes http://www.foxsports.com

- ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Venezuela ->Televen 8 ? ?
- ->Meridiano TV ? ?

In previous postings, I called Fox Sports just Fox (a different channel).
This was mainly to due postings saying just "Fox" when referring to F1 on
this NG and nobody pointing out my mistake to me or the other list compiler
in Holland. I spotted one posting that aroused my suspicion. Remember, the
main aim is to tell people outside each country what channel shows F1 so they
can get it (there's little point in telling people in their own countries!
Newspapers etc do it).

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info

I'd be glad to get it.

Sky's plans for Digital in the UK have been delayed again! For "September"
now read "Autumn" The latest I have is that it now "will launch" Digital on
1st October 98. The units will cost £159 for existing customers and £200 for
others. Still no news specifically about F1 on Sky though. Digital providers
say the viewer is confused enough already. They why did BDB change it's name
to ONdigital, causing more confusion? I did hear that the Germans pay the
equivalent of £10 for a digital GP weekend on DF1. Since Canal + have bought
the F1 digital rights for coverage in The Vatican and San Marino and we still
can't get digital it's not good by Sky is it? (I don't know if those 2
nations are showing it on Canal + yet). I've made the decision to wait for
Digital Cable. Agreed, it may be a long way off but the system won't be
"closed" like Sky's is going to be. Sport may become all PPV on Sky but I
reckon there might be some far off country showing the same events free and
unscrambled (forecasts are that Digital Cable will carry 1000 channels from
several satellites!) Sky's closed digital system won't pick up these foreign
channels. How to discover which of the 1000 is showing which event? From the
Internet of course! Should save some money at least.

And when someone can point a camera at a TV screen and links it to the Web
with the same quality of a current TV picture .... against copyright laws?
What if someone in, say, Northern Cyprus does it? (It has no copyright laws!)

I saw Antenna TV on RTL in the paddock for the Austrian GP. Another lead to
follow up. (Greece?)

Speedvison in the US seems very enthusiastic about covering F1 (visit their
web-site and see). I've been asking around and I'll list the Cable
companies/areas where Speedvision is available if/when I get them since this
ng seems to have a lot of people complaining about Fox Sports' coverage, or
lack of it. Speedvision is not officially avaliable in Canada or Mexico but
it's website explains how to get the channel on satellite.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky
Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya "4" TV4 Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV

1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+ digital an tv

network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca America

Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1 fox sport

gob...@eudoramail.com

Aug 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/7/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates
(including an F1 newsletter) by e-mailing form...@plex.nl

Useful web-sites are http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and

http://www.eurotv.com (general TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details

via the TV URL's below or teletext. CNN's Time Zone guide is on teletext page
450 or visit http://www.businesswindow.com/clock.shtml

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV
feeds (and how to get these channels) or visit http://www.satcodx.com Go back

up this thread for more info. The "Adverts?" column means "Action

interrupted?" E-mail me if you still can't get an F1 TV choice.

Happy zapping.

TV/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio: Adverts? URL
Angola ->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Argentina ->Te Le Fe ? http://www.telefe.com
Australia ->Channel 9 Yes http://design.net/nine/
Austria ->ORF No http://www.orf.at
Bangladesh ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Belgium ->VTM Kanaal 2 Yes http://www.vtm.be

- ->Eurosport 21 ? ?
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.be
Brazil ->Globo TV No http://www.redeglobo.com.br/

Canada ->TSN Yes http://www.tsn.ca
- ->RDS ? http://www.rds.ca

- ->CBC (Canadian GP) ? http://www.cbc.ca
- ->Radio Canada (TV) ? http://www.radio-canada.com
Cape Verde ->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Carribean Is->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Chile ->Channel 7/TVN ?/? http://www.tvn.cl/
China ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Croatia ->HRT 3 Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ?
Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ?/? http://www.dr.dk/
- (GP's shared) - -

Ecuador ->Tele Amazonas ? ?

Finland ->MTV 3 Yes http://www.mtv3.fi

France ->TF 1 Yes http://www.tf1.fr/
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.fr/

- ->Canal Satellite No http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

Germany ->RTL Yes http://www.rtl.de/
- ->DF 1 No http://www.df1.de

- ->ARD/DSF - http://www.sportschau.de
- (highlights) - http://www.dsf.de

Guinea-Bisau->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Hungary ->Magyar TV 1 Yes ?

Iceland ->RUV Yes http://www.ruv.is
India ->Star Sport ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Indonesia ->ANTV ? ?

Irish Rep. ->RTE 2 Yes http://www.rte.ie/

Italy ->Rai Due Yes http://www.rai.it
- ->Rai Tre Yes http://www.rai.it
- (qualifying) - -
- ->Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/
- ->Tele + Analogue - http://www.telepiu.it/
- (highlights) - -
Japan ->Fuji TV ? ?
Latvia ->LNT ? http://www.lnt.lv/
Lebanon ->LBC 1 ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb
Lithuania ->LTV ? ?
Malaysia ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Mexico ->TV Azteca ? ?
Monaco ->Tele Monte Carlo Yes ?
Mozambique ->RTP Africa Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Nepal ->Star Sport ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Vietnam ->Star Sports ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Somebody told me that TV 3 in Spain only broadcasts in the north-east of the
country (it is also called TV Catalunya and I seem to remember hearing during
the 1992 Olympics and in F1 coverage that Barcelona is in Catalunya so this
makes sense).

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info
I'd be glad to get it.

I'm pretty sure that Star Sports has adverts in every country it shows F1 in
but I'll wait for confirmation anyway.

Met an F1 fan last week who had a dish, he didn't know about RTL ........

A master plan (that failed!) was to e-mail embassys. That didn't yield much.
Master plan 2 is to spam newsgroups relating to the 100 countries or so I
don't currently have, plugging the free F1 newsletter by form...@plex.nl
That way when people see the list in the newsletter they'll add to it
(hopefully!)

I'm hoping that the list will become self sustaining that way, with people
just e-mailing the updates when circumstances change in their country when
they read the newsletter and see it's not right. I think most of the hard
work has been done. I have found that some Web lists have run out of date
because of the hard work needed to keep them going because of the way they
have been set up, relying on the authors making vast efforts for each update.

I can't wait to find out if the following countries show F1. (China and
Indonesia do, remember); Afganistan, Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya and Syria
(though Star or Speedvision are probably available to the discreet and the
determined!)

gob...@eudoramail.com

Aug 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/11/98

Useful web-sites are http://www.formula1.com (F1 TV schedules)

Austria ->ORF 1 ? No http://www.orf.at

- ->CBC (Canadian GP) Yes http://www.cbc.ca

Chile ->TVN Channel 7 ? ? http://www.tvn.cl/
China ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Croatia ->HRT 3 ? Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ? ?
Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/

- (GP's shared) - -

Ecuador ->Tele Amazonas ? ? ?

Greece ->LBCI ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb
Irish Rep. ->RTE Network 2 ? Yes http://www.rte.ie/

Lebanon ->LBCI ? ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb
Lithuania ->LTV ? ? ?
Malaysia ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Mexico ->TV Azteca ? No ?
->Ant 3 ? ?
Phillipines ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Poland ->Canal + Polska ? ? http://www.it.com.pl/canal/
Portugal ->RTP 1 ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Romania ->Pro TV ? ? http://www.protv.ro
Russia ->TV Center ? ? http://www.centertv.ru
Sao Tome +Pr->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Saudi Arabia->Canal + ? ? ?
Singapore ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Slovakia ->TV Markiza ? ? ?
Slovenia ->POP TV ? ? ?
South Africa->SABC 3 ? Yes http://www.sabc.co.za

- ->SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za

Spain ->TV 3/ETB ? Yes/? http://www.tvc.es

- ->Canal Satelite No http://www.csatelite.es/

Sweden ->TV 4 ? No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland ->TSR 4/SF 2 ? No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey ->NTV ? ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/
UK ->ITV ? Yes http://www.itv.co.uk

- - BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk

Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ?
USA ->Fox Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com

- ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com

Venezuela ->Televen 8 ? ? ?

- ->Meridiano TV ? ?

Vietnam ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

I haven't mis-spelt the name of Canal Satelite in Spain, that's just the name
of the channel (it's called Canal Satellite in France though). Whatever it's
called, it's PPV digital in both countries! The main Spanish F1 newsgroup is
es.rec.desportes.motor

I've suspected for some time that ORF has at least 2 channels in Austria. I
can now confirm that ORF 1 shows F1. If you have RTL and RTL 2 there are
teletext pages that give you the times of F1 coverage; RTL page 322 has all
the sport on that channel for the week ahead and RTL 2 page 200 is the index
for sport on many channels (including the ORF ones). Samstag is Saturday and
Sonntag is Sunday. Every "Motorsport" programme on today is on page 218.

RTE 2 is often called just Network 2 by people in the Irish Republic itself
and Belgium's VTM organisation has 2 channels, VTM and Kanaal 2 (Channel 2).
The same way RTL isn't called RTL 1 I suppose, even though there is an RTL 2.
So the way I've put RTE Network 2 and VTM Kanaal 2 should makes things clear
to everyone. People on this ng often use my list to know which channel to ask
for when they visit a country (I was really only thinking about people in
their own countries eavesdropping when I started this).

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info
I'd be glad to get it.

I'm pretty sure that Star Sports has adverts in every country it shows F1 in
but I'll wait for confirmation anyway.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky
Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1 RTP Portugal TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya "4" TV4 Speed Vision Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV

1 TSR2 SF2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11 Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+

digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca

America Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1 fox sport vtm2 vtm 2
teleamazonas orf1

gob...@eudoramail.com

Aug 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/25/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels in case you're unhappy with the
one you currently have. Get free e-mailed updates (including an F1
newsletter) by e-mailing form...@plex.nl

Useful web-sites are http://www.formula1.com (F1 TV schedules)
http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and http://www.eurotv.com (general

TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details via the TV URL's below or on
teletext. CNNI's Time Zone guide is on teletext page 450 or visit
http://www.businesswindow.com/clock.shtml

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV
feeds (and how to get these channels) or visit http://www.satcodx.com Go back
up this thread for more info. The "Adverts?" column means "Action

interrupted?" E-mail me with any F1 TV problem you think I may be able to
solve.

[...]

Colombia ->RCN/Caracol ? ? ?

Croatia ->HRT 3 ? Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ? ?
Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/

- (GP's shared) - - -

Ecuador ->Tele Amazonas ? ? ?

Estonia ->TV 3 ? ? ?

Finland ->MTV 3 ? Yes http://www.mtv3.fi
France ->TF 1 ? Yes http://www.tf1.fr/
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.fr/
- ->Canal Satellite No http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

Fyrom ->MTV 2 ? ? ?

Germany ->RTL ? Yes http://www.rtl.de/
- ->DF 1 No http://www.df1.de
- ->ARD/DSF - http://www.sportschau.de

- (highlights) - - http://www.dsf.de
Greece ->ET 1 ? ? ?

Guinea-Bisau->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Hungary ->Magyar TV 1 ? Yes ?
Iceland ->RUV ? Yes http://www.ruv.is
India ->Star Sport ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Indonesia ->ANTV ? ? ?
Irish Rep. ->RTE Network 2 ? Yes http://www.rte.ie/
Italy ->Rai Due ? Yes http://www.rai.it
- ->Rai Tre Yes http://www.rai.it
- (qualifying) - -
- ->Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/
- ->Tele + Analogue - http://www.telepiu.it/

- (highlights) - - -

Japan ->Fuji TV ? ? ?
Latvia ->LNT ? ? http://www.lnt.lv/
Lebanon ->LBCI ? ? http://www.lbcsat.com.lb
Lithuania ->LTV ? ? ?
Malaysia ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Mexico ->TV Azteca 7 ? No ?
- ->Ant 3 ? ?

Monaco ->Tele Monte Carlo ? Yes ?
Mozambique ->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Nepal ->Star Sport ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Netherlands ->RTL 4/Canal + ? Yes/? ?
New Zealand ->Sky Sport ? No http://www.sky.co.nz

Norway ->NRK 1/NRK 2 ? No http://www.nrk.no/
- (GP's shared) - - -

Philipines ->Star Sport ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Switzerland ->TSR 4/SFDRS 2 ? No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch

Turkey ->NTV ? ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/
UK ->ITV ? Yes http://www.itv.co.uk
- - BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ?
USA ->Fox Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com
- ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com

Venezuela ->Venezolana de TV ? ? ?

- ->Meridiano TV ? ?
Vietnam ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info

I'd be glad to get it.

I'm pretty sure that Star Sports has adverts in every country it shows F1 in
but I'll wait for confirmation anyway.

The site http://www.formula1.com is useful as the guy there (Nicky) seems to
ring a lot of TV stations (wonder what his bill is like?). There are
discrepancies in his list and my list (there is at least one error too, DSF
never show F1 live, I've got this channel). DF 1 is DSF's PPV sister channel
and does. Some time ago me (Rasf1) Nicky (http://formula1.com) and Harm
(form...@plex.nl) decided to co-operate. We'll have to iron a few things out
(some of the discrepancies are simply the use of different names for the same
channel, which doesn't really matter too much). Harm has some very ambitious
ideas for next season to get a complete list.

My master plan has yielded some results. A Belarus ng moderator threw one
posting out though as "F1 has nothing to do with the history, culture etc of
Belarus" (Oh dear!) Still, I've a Russian friend who's going to find the right
places to plug the newsletter (in the correct languages too!)

After several weeks of suspicion I've finally found that in Chile, TVN and
Channel 7 is one channel. (TVN Channel 7, not TVN/Channel 7 as before).
Remember that I saw Antenna (?) mikes in some F1 interviews? I now reckon
that could be Ant from Mexico, another mystery solved if it is.

I've been trying to help F1 fans in North America but nobody seems to be able
to help as far as a list as Fox Sports affiliates go. I reckon I can get a
list of Cable carriers who broadcast F1 on Speedvision though and I'll post
it up. None will be in Canada. Visit http://www.speedvision.com for details
and reasons about the "Canadian Blackout" of Speedvision F1 and what is being
done to help lift it, and how you can get Speedvision carried by more Cable
companies if you're in the US (I'm in England, so can't do much!) Chances
are, nothing will improve until next season now though.

Many people complain about not being able to read the ng because of all the
complaints about F1 TV. It's taken me 6 months to stop most of the ITV ones
("Tell ITV to go to Hell, zap F1 ads to RTL") and post up the (ever growing)
TV list every fortnight or so to stop many more complaints/enquiries about
TV. North American F1 TV complaints now seem to be the main problem, so I'll
be working on solutions. I won't be posting any more jokes up either.

Poor old ITV have bent over backwards this season to avoid RTL being
mentioned or shown in it's coverage (ORF and Channel 9 have been the subject
of features) ..... only in Hungary they switched to the main feed and it had
MS being interviewed, with Kai Ebels giant yellow RTL mike in his face.
Martin Brundle referred to "A German TV station", oh dear!

I've changed Switzerland's listing again to make things clearer to everyone.

A few postings back up the thread I mocked Americans, saying some would
confuse Slovakia (formerly part of Czechoslovakia) with Slovenia (once part
of Yugoslavia) when reading my list. Then watching the Porsche Super Cup on
Sky Britain's own Andy Marriott said, "We have a driver from Belgrade, and
one from Slovakia. All we need is a Croatian for a former Yugoslavian get
together"! (You'd actually need a Bosnian and a non-Greek Macedonian for a
full get together anyway!)

Speaking of non-Greek Macedonia, it's actually called The Former Yugoslavian
Republic Of Macedonia. I think I'd struggle to get that on one line. Calling
it Macedonia would confuse it with the Greek region, who probably have
different F1 TV and where many go for holidays (some use my list for help on
holiday). Fyrom (!), it's acronym, was the name it had at the Eurovision Song
Contest held in my city earlier this year, so I'll use that. Congo was the
name of 2 nations, then 1, earlier this year 2 again, and now possibly back
to 1! Makes Germany and Ireland seem so simple doesn't it!

I reckon countries that are bi-lingual are allowed to have more than 1 F1
channel (eg Belgium, Canada, Spain, Switzerland). The Digital rights are sold
separately. Perhaps we in the UK should convince Gaelic and Welsh speakers to
claim they should have a channel instead of ITV, so we all have more of a
choice!

What Satellite TV magazine in the UK is saying that Canal + Digital (in
France and Spain called Canal Satellite) is now showing F1 in Scandinavia on
pay-per-view. Canal + doesn't have F1 in Scandinavia. I will try to find out
if this is true but would appreciate anyone who can give me any more
information on this.

DF1 a flop? September's What Satellite TV magazine in the UK is saying DF1
has been a flop in Germany. Last season, PPV F1 was being touted as the
saviour for all the money that would be lost from tobacco when it is banned.
DF1 has 180,000 possible subscibers, way behind France's Canal Satellite
(1m). Germany's population dwarfs France's too.

The name of the Sky's Digital F1 channel in the UK will be Sky Box Office.
I'll add it when it starts.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky

Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal+ RTP1 TV-Center TV-Centre TV Centre SABC3
SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya TV4 Speed Vision vtm2 vtm 2 Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 "4"
TSR2 SF2 SF 2 DRS2 DRS 2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11 Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1

Tele piu tele+ digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada

Television Azteca America Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1 lbc 1 lbc i
fox sport teleamazonas orf1 et1 mtv2

Zur Zeit keine Sendung

André Prégent

Aug 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/26/98
snip

> Canada ->TSN ? Yes http://www.tsn.ca
> - ->RDS ? http://www.rds.ca
> - ->CBC (Canadian GP) Yes http://www.cbc.ca
> - ->Radio Canada (TV) ? http://www.radio-canada.com

FYI

RDS and Radio-Canada both have "adverts"

RDS shows all of the qualifying and most of the races live. Oz,
Argentinia, Brazil, Japan
are shown live on Radio-Canada. The others are shown live on RDS.

snippola of amazing amount of info!

> I've been trying to help F1 fans in North America but nobody seems to be able
> to help as far as a list as Fox Sports affiliates go. I reckon I can get a
> list of Cable carriers who broadcast F1 on Speedvision though and I'll post
> it up. None will be in Canada. Visit http://www.speedvision.com for details
> and reasons about the "Canadian Blackout" of Speedvision F1 and what is being
> done to help lift it, and how you can get Speedvision carried by more Cable
> companies if you're in the US (I'm in England, so can't do much!) Chances
> are, nothing will improve until next season now though.

re-snip

gob...@eudoramail.com

Sep 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/8/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates
(including an F1 newsletter) by e-mailing form...@plex.nl and asking.

Useful web-sites are http://www.formula1.com (F1 TV schedules)
http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and http://www.eurotv.com (general
TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details via the TV URL's below or on

teletext. CNN's Time Zone guide is on teletext page 450 or visit
http://www.businesswindow.com/clock.shtml

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV
feeds (and how to get these channels) or visit http://www.satcodx.com Go back
up this thread for more info. The "Adverts?" column means "Action

interrupted?" (Some channels have adverts but not during live action). E-mail
me with any F1 TV problem you think I may be able to solve for you.

Happy zapping.

TV/radio stations covering F1 (feel free to update/correct/e-mail me etc)

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio: Adverts? URL:
Angola ->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Argentina ->Te Le Fe ? ? http://www.telefe.com
Australia ->Channel 9 ? Yes http://design.net/nine/
Austria ->ORF 1 ? No http://www.orf.at

Bahrain ->Art 2 ? ? ?

- ->Canal + Blauw No http://www.cplus.be

- ->RDS Yes http://www.rds.ca

- ->CBC (Canadian GP) Yes http://www.cbc.ca

- ->Radio Canada (TV) Yes http://www.radio-canada.com

Cape Verde ->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Carribean Is->Speedvision ? Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Chile ->TVN Channel 7 ? ? http://www.tvn.cl/
China ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Colombia ->RCN/Caracol ? ?/? ?

Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ? http://www.primatv.cz/

Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/
- (GP's shared) - - -
Ecuador ->Tele Amazonas ? ? ?
Estonia ->TV 3 ? ? ?
Finland ->MTV 3 ? Yes http://www.mtv3.fi
France ->TF 1 ? Yes http://www.tf1.fr/
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.fr/
- ->Canal Satellite No http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/

F.Y.R.O.M. ->MTV 2 ? ? ?

Hong Kong ->Star Sport ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm
Hungary ->Magyar TV 1 ? Yes http://www.mtv.hu
Iceland ->RUV Channel 1 ? Yes http://www.ruv.is

Mexico ->TV Azteca 7 ? No http://www.tvazteca.com.mx

Netherlands ->RTL 4/Canal + ? Yes/? http://www.rtl4.nl

Romania ->Pro TV ? Yes http://www.protv.ro

Slovakia ->TV Markiza ? ? http://www.markiza.sk/

Slovenia ->POP TV ? ? ?
South Africa->SABC 3 ? Yes http://www.sabc.co.za
- ->SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za
Spain ->TV 3/ETB ? Yes/? http://www.tvc.es
- ->Canal Satelite No http://www.csatelite.es/
Sweden ->TV 4 ? No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland ->TSR 4/SFDRS 2 ? No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey ->NTV ? ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/

U.K. ->ITV ? Yes http://www.itv.co.uk

- - BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ?

U.S.A. ->Fox Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com
(see ng) ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Venezuela ->Venezolana de TV ? ? http://www.veteve.com

- ->Meridiano TV ? ?
Vietnam ->Star Sports ? ? http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm

Yugoslavia ->BK Televizija ? ? ?

US Speedvision F1 viewers: Full details about Speedvision (all the US Cable
carriers who have it etc) are too huge to list here. I have listed them
separately. See my "US Speedvision Cable carriers listed" postings on this ng
and remember to follow the thread. The Fox Sports affiliates are short enough
to be below. (Tell me the missing ones).

TV channel affiliates list.
Some channels have different names in different parts of their respective
countries. Here's a guide: (14 ITV companies (all listed) 22 Fox Affiliates)

ITV (UK): (F1 on whole network) Fox Sports (US): (Coverage varies)
Area: ITV company: Area: Fox Sports affiliate:
Aberdeen - Grampian TV
Belfast - Ulster TV Bay Area TCI Cable Channel 16
Birmingham - Central TV Boston Fox Sports New England
Cardiff - Harlech TV
Carlisle - Border TV
Channel Is - Channel TV Delaware Comcast Sports Network
Glasgow - Scottish TV
Leeds - Yorkshire TV
London - LWT (Carlton TV)
Manchester - Granada TV Massachusetts NESN
Newcastle - Tyne-Tees TV
Norwich - Anglia TV
Plymouth - TSW Pennsilvania Fox Sports Pittsburgh
Southampton- Meridian TV Texas Fox Sports South West
Washington DC HTS

Major UK cities not having ITV companies (eg Liverpool) use that of the
nearest (Manchester - Granada). The US probably has the same system. Some ITV
areas overlap slightly but as all show F1 identically, it doesn't matter
which one you have. With Fox perhaps some people can get more than one as
well (in Boston?) more relevant as the F1 coverage varies. London has 2 ITV
companies, essentially 1 for weekdays, another takes over for the weekend!
(Don't ask me to explain why, the answer is too bizarre). LWT (London Weekend
Television) covers F1 (because F1 happens at the weekend!) Carlton TV is
London's weekday ITV version. ITV may soon change it's name to Channel 3
(again for no real reason!) I'll let you know if/when this happens.

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info
I'd be glad to get it.

I'm pretty sure that Star Sports has adverts in every country it shows F1 in
but I'll wait for confirmation anyway.

Fyrom is the name I've given to the The Former Yugoslavian Republic Of
Macedonia to avoid it being confused with Greek Macedonia, which has
different F1 TV and the official name won't fit on one line!

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the

alternative spellings and alternative names of the F1 channels.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky

Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal Plus Blauw Canal+ RTP1 TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV Catalunya TV4 Speed Vision vtm2 vtm 2 VTM

Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 "4" TSR2 SF2 SF 2 DRS2 DRS 2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11
Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+ digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport
hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca America Television Fuji Television rik2

lbc1 lbc 1 lbc i fox sport foxsport teleamazonas orf1 et1

gob...@eudoramail.com

Sep 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/21/98
[...]

Nation: F1 TV Channel: F1 Radio: Adverts? URL: Angola ->RTP Africa ?
Yes http://www.rtp.pt/ Argentina ->Te Le Fe ? ? http://www.telefe.com
Australia ->Channel 9 ? Yes http://design.net/nine/ Austria ->ORF 1 ?
No http://www.orf.at Bahrain ->Art 2 ? ? ? Bangladesh ->Star Sports ?

Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Belgium ->VTM Kanaal 2 ? Yes

http://www.vtm.be - ->Eurosport 21 ? ? - ->Canal + Blauw No
http://www.cplus.be Brazil ->Globo TV ? No http://www.redeglobo.com.br/
Canada ->TSN ? Yes http://www.tsn.ca - ->RDS Yes http://www.rds.ca -
->CBC (Canadian GP) Yes http://www.cbc.ca - ->Radio Canada (TV) Yes
http://www.radio-canada.com Cape Verde ->RTP Africa ? Yes
http://www.rtp.pt/ Carribean Is->Speedvision ? Yes
http://www.speedvision.com Chile ->TVN Channel 7 ? ? http://www.tvn.cl/

China ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Colombia

->RCN/Caracol ? ?/? ? Croatia ->HRT 3 ? Yes http://www.hrt.hr/ Cyprus
->RIK 2 ? ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/ Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ?
http://www.primatv.cz/ Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/

- (GP's shared) - - - Dominican Rp->TV Dominicana 4 ? ? ? Ecuador

->Tele Amazonas ? ? ? Estonia ->TV 3 ? ? ? Finland ->MTV 3 ? Yes
http://www.mtv3.fi France ->TF 1 ? Yes http://www.tf1.fr/ - ->Canal +
No http://www.cplus.fr/ - ->Canal Satellite No
http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/ F.Y.R.O.M. ->MTV 2 ? ? ? Germany ->RTL
? Yes http://www.rtl.de/ - ->DF 1 No http://www.df1.de - ->ARD/DSF
- http://www.sportschau.de - (highlights) - - http://www.dsf.de Greece
->ET 1 ? ? ? Guinea-Bisau->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/ Hong

Kong ->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Hungary ->Magyar

TV 1 ? Yes http://www.mtv.hu Iceland ->RUV Channel 1 ? Yes

http://www.ruv.is India ->Star Sport ? Yes

http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Indonesia ->ANTV ? ? ? Irish Rep. ->RTE
Network 2 ? Yes http://www.rte.ie/ Italy ->Rai Due ? Yes
http://www.rai.it - ->Rai Tre Yes http://www.rai.it - (qualifying) -
- - ->Tele + Digital No http://www.telepiu.it/ - ->Tele + Analogue -
http://www.telepiu.it/ - (highlights) - - - Japan ->Fuji TV ? ? ?
Latvia ->LNT ? ? http://www.lnt.lv/ Lebanon ->LBCI ? ?
http://www.lbcsat.com.lb Lithuania ->LTV ? ? ? Malaysia ->Star Sports ?

Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Mexico ->TV Azteca 7 ? No

http://www.tvazteca.com.mx - ->Ant 3 ? ? Monaco ->Tele Monte Carlo ?
Yes ? Mozambique ->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/ Nepal ->Star

Sport ? Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Netherlands ->RTL 4/Canal + ?

Yes/? http://www.rtl4.nl New Zealand ->Sky Sport ? No

http://www.sky.co.nz Norway ->NRK 1/NRK 2 ? No/No http://www.nrk.no/ -
(GP's shared) - - - Pakistan ->Star Sports ? Yes

http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Peru ->America TV ? ? ? Philipines

->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Poland ->Canal +

Polska ? ? http://www.it.com.pl/canal/ Portugal ->RTP 1 ? Yes
http://www.rtp.pt/ Romania ->Pro TV ? Yes http://www.protv.ro Russia
->TV Center ? ? http://www.centertv.ru Sao Tome +Pr->RTP Africa ? Yes
http://www.rtp.pt/ Saudi Arabia->Canal + ? ? ? Singapore ->Star Sports ?

Yes http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Slovakia ->TV Markiza ? ?

http://www.markiza.sk/ Slovenia ->POP TV ? ? ? South Africa->SABC 3 ?
Yes http://www.sabc.co.za - ->SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za
Spain ->TV 3/ETB ? Yes/? http://www.tvc.es - ->Canal Satelite No
http://www.csatelite.es/ Sweden ->TV 4 ? No http://www.tv4.se Switzerland
->TSR 4/SFDRS 2 ? No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch Turkey ->NTV ? ?
http://www.ntv.com.tr/ U.K. ->ITV ? Yes http://www.itv.co.uk - - BBC
Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ? U.S.A. ->Fox
Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com (see ng) ->Speedvision Yes
http://www.speedvision.com Venezuela ->Venezolana de TV ? ?

http://www.veteve.com - ->Meridiano TV ? ? Vietnam ->Star Sports ? Yes

http://www.star.com.tr/star.htm Yugoslavia ->BK Televizija ? ?

http://bktv.com

US Speedvision F1 viewers: Full details about Speedvision (all the US Cable
carriers who have it etc) are too huge to list here. I have listed them
separately. See my "US Speedvision Cable carriers listed" postings on this ng
and remember to follow the thread. The Fox Sports affiliates are short enough

to be below (e-mail me the missing ones). I won't list Speedvision's Cable
carriers in Canada until the blackout lifts (go to http://www.speedvision.com
to see what's being done about this).

TV channel affiliates list.
Some channels have different names in different parts of their respective

countries. Here's a guide: (All 14 ITV companies are listed, there are 22 Fox
Sports affiliates).

ITV (UK): (F1 on whole network) Fox Sports (US): (Coverage varies)

Area: ITV company: Area: Fox Sports affiliate:
Aberdeen - Grampian TV
Belfast - Ulster TV

Birmingham - Central TV Boston Fox Sports New England
Cardiff - Harlech TV
Carlisle - Border TV
Channel Is - Channel TV Delaware Comcast Sports Network
Glasgow - Scottish TV
Leeds - Yorkshire TV

London - LWT (Carlton TV) Los Angeles Fox Sports West

Manchester - Granada TV Massachusetts NESN
Newcastle - Tyne-Tees TV
Norwich - Anglia TV
Plymouth - TSW Pennsilvania Fox Sports Pittsburgh

Southampton- Meridian TV San Francisco TCI Cable

You will have noticed on the ng that Britons say ITV and don't confuse people
by using the regional names. This would just confuse some other Britons too
(somebody in say, London would say "What is that Harlech that shows F1? can
we get it"!) It's also helpful that all the promos refer to "F1 on ITV".
ITV's internal politics mean that it's been trying for the last decade or so
to ditch it's regional image in favour of a more corporate one. (Remember
those different jingles and logos that used to appear at the beginning of
networked programmes so you knew which ITV company made it? They were the
first to go).

Major UK cities not having ITV companies (eg Liverpool) use that of the

nearest (Manchester - Granada). Some areas overlap slightly, but as all show
F1 identically, it doesn't matter which one you have. London has 2 ITV

companies, essentially 1 for weekdays, another takes over for the weekend!
(Don't ask me to explain why, the answer is too bizarre). LWT (London Weekend
Television) covers F1 (because F1 happens at the weekend!) Carlton TV is
London's weekday ITV version. ITV may soon change it's name to Channel 3

(again for no real reason!) I'll let you know if/when this happens. I suspect
that corporate move and the proposed name change are related somehow.

Fox Sports areas overlap too it seems. This is more relevant since coverage
of F1 varies. Perhaps there's a pattern to which ones have good F1 coverage.
I have noticed, for example, that Speedvision has a very high exposure in
Detroit, the Motor City.

Fox Sports and Fox are different channels, ITV Sport is just the sports dept
of ITV. ITV Sport again has stepped up it's image during the past decade,
having it's own logo at the beginning of sport programmes on ITV .

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info
I'd be glad to get it.

Korean Air sponsor the Benetton team, so Korean TV must have F1. The search
goes on.

Unfortunately, I don't have home access so can't access http://www.eurotv.com
during a GP. This might tell me a few more channels (you can't do it after or
before, or at least I don't know how to). If anyone could go to this site
during a race and see what new channels they can find and let me know I'd be
very grateful. Thanks.

DSF's web-site may actually have F1 live too. Watching their adverts, somebody
called Intercast seems to be doing it. Http://www.dsf.de is the site.

Judging by previous GP's, RTL usually has the half hour morning warm-up live
for the night GP's (and also for the decisive races). So with Japan and the
Nurburgring to come things look good. RTL teletext page 322 has all their
live sport for the week ahead. I'll post up what's definitely happening if I
can find out in time.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names of the F1 channels.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky
Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal Plus Blauw Canal+ RTP1 TV-Center TV-Centre TV

Centre Centre TV Center TV Center-TV Centre-TV SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV

Catalunya TV4 Speed Vision vtm2 vtm 2 VTM Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 "4" TSR2 SF2 SF
2 DRS2 DRS 2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11 Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+
digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca
America Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1 lbc 1 lbc i fox sport foxsport

teleamazonas orf1 et1 la deux

gob...@eudoramail.com

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Bangladesh ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Belgium ->VTM Kanaal 2 ? Yes http://www.vtm.be
- ->Eurosport 21 ? ?
- ->Canal + Blauw No http://www.cplus.be

- ->RTBF ? ?

China ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Colombia ->RCN/Caracol ? ?/? ?
Croatia ->HRT 3 ? Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ? http://www.primatv.cz/
Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/
- (GP's shared) - - -

Dominica Rep->TV Dominicana 4 ? ? ?

Ecuador ->Tele Amazonas ? ? ?
Estonia ->TV 3 ? ? ?
Finland ->MTV 3 ? Yes http://www.mtv3.fi
France ->TF 1 ? Yes http://www.tf1.fr/
- ->Canal + No http://www.cplus.fr/
- ->Canal Satellite No http://www.cplus.fr/html/canalsa/
F.Y.R.O.M. ->MTV 2 ? ? ?
Germany ->RTL ? Yes http://www.rtl.de/
- ->DF 1 No http://www.df1.de

- ->ARD/DSF/ZDF - http://www.sportschau.de

- (highlights) - - http://www.dsf.de

- -> - - http://www.zdf.de
Greece ->ERT 1 ? ? ?

Guinea-Bisau->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/

Hong Kong ->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

India ->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Malaysia ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Nepal ->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Netherlands ->RTL 4/Canal + ? Yes/? http://www.rtl4.nl
New Zealand ->Sky Sport ? No http://www.sky.co.nz
Norway ->NRK 1/NRK 2 ? No/No http://www.nrk.no/
- (GP's shared) - - -

Pakistan ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Peru ->America TV ? ? ?

Philipines ->Star Sport ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Singapore ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Slovakia ->TV Markiza ? ? http://www.markiza.sk/
Slovenia ->POP TV ? ? ?
South Africa->SABC 3 ? Yes http://www.sabc.co.za
- ->SABC 1 (re-run) - http://www.sabc.co.za
Spain ->TV 3/ETB ? Yes/? http://www.tvc.es
- ->Canal Satelite No http://www.csatelite.es/
Sweden ->TV 4 ? No http://www.tv4.se
Switzerland ->TSR 4/SFDRS 2 ? No/No http://www.srg-ssr.ch
Turkey ->NTV ? ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/

U.K. ->ITV Yes http://www.itv.co.uk

- -> BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ?
U.S.A. ->Fox Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com
(see ng) ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Venezuela ->Venezolana de TV ? ? http://www.veteve.com
- ->Meridiano TV ? ?

Vietnam ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com
Yugoslavia ->BK Televizija ? ? http://www.bktv.com

Texas Fox Sports South West
Washington DC HTS

For some reason the last posting got garbled. I reckon I know what caused it,
a problem though because it's not there until the posting appears (but I
think I know what I did wrong). Here's the latest. I'll post up one more
before Japan and then that will be it until around February. I'll have to
work hard early next season because there are lots of fly-away races to start
with and the TV coverage of these probably won't be very wide-spread. Also of
course some other TV channels will take over F1.

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info

I'd be glad to get it. Thanks.

The 2 German channels ARD and ZDF don't show race highlights AFAIK. Just the
highlights of Friday practice and qualifying on Saturday. DSF has the race
highlights.

The Star Sport URL has been corrected (now I am sure it's correct).

Monitoring de.rec.sport.motor (the German-speaking version of rasf1) RTL have
made ORF reduce it's network signal, to stop it travelling into Germany!
There have been major problems in Bavaria (which shares German and Austrian
culture. They can't get ORF now! And I think some cables have to be dug up
(something like that anyway!) One of the main reasons I put this list on
Usenet, Bernie/RTL etc could stop a web-site! (They've stopped others!) I
suspect the ingenious in Germany could recieve another channel, thought the
amount of money they'd need they may be better off getting DF1.

Visited BK Televizija's web-site. It's seems to be full of raving Serb
nationlists. You have been warned.

Does anyone know a really good way of finding URL's? I use Hot Bot and Alta
Vista and search on the TV stations name and/or the country's name + TV. But
They are not easy to find though.

I'm still looking for info about Sky's plans for Digital F1 in the UK.

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the

alternative spellings and alternative names of the F1 TV channels.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky
Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal Plus Blauw Canal+ RTP1 TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre Centre TV Center TV Center-TV Centre-TV SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV
Catalunya TV4 Speed Vision vtm2 vtm 2 VTM Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 "4" TSR2 SF2 SF
2 DRS2 DRS 2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11 Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+
digital an tv network 2 RTE2 Star Sport hrt3 Radio-Canada Television Azteca
America Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1 lbc 1 lbc i fox sport foxsport

teleamazonas orf1 et1 La Deux Primesports Prime sports prime sport primesport

--
Zur Zeit keine Sendung

Sean Webb

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98
Gee thanks (I think) it would be great to be able to get all these TV
channels, any of them in English ?
Sean

Sideshow Rob

Oct 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/1/98

Sean Webb wrote in message <6v0cu4$73b$1...@newnews.global.net.uk>...

>Gee thanks (I think) it would be great to be able to get all these TV
>channels, any of them in English ?
>Sean

didn't even bother reading all that - you'd need the equivalent of Jodrell
Bank to get half of those stations!

a race is a race wherever you watch it, I'll struggle on with ITV!

rob

Emma Grant

Oct 5, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/5/98
the aussie channel nine website is actually
http://www.ninemsn.com.au
--
emma
OFFICIAL Lobster Licker of alt.tv.kids-in-hall

Sean Webb

Oct 6, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/6/98
Help I was being sarcastic
Sean

Anorak Boy

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98

Channel 9, Australia -

Alan Jones talking out his bum about how great he was and saying that all
circuits are Mickey Mouse when they put a replay of F1RS on.

Then to ITV for the race.

After that Jonesey pulls out an interview he did when he want to Silverstone
this year. (Did you see the one he did with Patrick Head?)

Sean Webb

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.
Sean

Kim Andrews

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 17:36:00 +0100, "Sean Webb"
<swe...@globalnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.
>Sean

What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where
to find you... <mad laughter> :o)

Kimbo
Formula One Cartoon Archive
Home of the RASF1 t-shirt
http://www.foca.co.uk
k...@foca.co.uk

Sean Webb

Oct 7, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/7/98
Don't know how he could do it the double crosser, you should hear what he
says about you lot over our side.
Sean

Anorak Boy

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Now I am offically confused as 'ell.

Anorak Boy
"I am Anorak - I zip, therefore I am"

Emma

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Kim Andrews <k...@foca.co.uk> wrote:

>Sean Webb wrote:
>
>>Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.
>>Sean
>
>What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where
>to find you... <mad laughter> :o)

Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
to beat RASF1...

--
Emma
"Although I do not have the gift of the gab and am completely

gob...@eudoramail.com

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
In article <FSTKJXA+...@excalvehs.demon.co.uk>,

Emma <Em...@excalvehs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> Kim Andrews <k...@foca.co.uk> wrote:
> >Sean Webb wrote:
> >
> >>Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.
> >>Sean
> >
> >What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where
> >to find you... <mad laughter> :o)
>
> Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
> to beat RASF1...
>
> --
> Emma

Ok I think i started this. I've been posting the list to rasf1 since about
April. I have posted to vf1 before but not crossposted. Should I have not
done this? I was simply trying to help. Back up the thread some points were
made. No one can pick up all the channels, the trick is to get 2 or 3 to zap
the ads/see qualifying etc. Basically enhance your viewing. I got fed up with
the complaints on every ng about F1 TV. The English speaking TV ones are the
from countries who have that language (obviously) and a few others where
English is the "accepted" language. I include the radio stations (well 1
anyway) again to give more info/choice. Star offers a choice of languages I
think. Bi-lingual countries seem to have a channel for each. M+M are the
English commentators for just about everywhere. Unless they are PPV Digital,
they all use the same feed/pictures during the race (that's what that little
animation 5 minutes before signifies). If anyone has more queries, I'd be
happy to answer.

Sean Webb

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Except intelligence!!!
Emma wrote in message ...

>Kim Andrews <k...@foca.co.uk> wrote:
>>Sean Webb wrote:
>>
>>>Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.
>>>Sean
>>
>>What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where
>>to find you... <mad laughter> :o)
>
>Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
>to beat RASF1...
>
>--
>Emma

Emma

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Sean Webb wrote:
>Except intelligence!!!

If that is the case then why are you still reading and posting to this
group?

--
Emma
"I never forget, I never ever, ever forget, ever"

Sean Webb

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Just a bit of baiting

Jacques Steiner

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Emma <Em...@excalvehs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>Kim Andrews <k...@foca.co.uk> wrote:
>>Sean Webb wrote:

>>>Good to see a rasf1 refugee joining a more sensible ng on F1.

>>What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where

>>to find you... <mad laughter> :o)

>Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
>to beat RASF1...

Do tell, please. Several people have e-mailed me about this new (? - secret
anyway) group and asked me to keep it under my hat; fair enough and quite
easy when it doesn't even appear on my server (not that I would abandon
rasf1 again anyway). But the cat's out of the bag now. Since you've seen
it, can you tell us what it is? Is there really a colony of ex-rasf1ers
there, or is that just a myth? How do they plan to deal with trolls now
that one of their number has crossposted and let all of rasf1, Known Trolls
and all, in on the secret? Has anyone else been the subject of a quiet
recruitment effort?

Regards,

Jacques Steiner

Remove ".bs" before replying. Supprimez «.bs» avant de répondre.
Racing colors + rasf1 humor: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/8750/
Eric Tabarly (1932-1998) RIP

David Betts

Oct 8, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/8/98
Sean Webb wrote

>Just a bit of baiting

Ah! Baiting.....always a sign of superior intelligence.

David Betts

"Formula One is watching a skinny Frenchman sitting in a bathtub full of
gasoline drive straight at a wall at 200 MPH to find out if his airfoils
work." - Brock Yates

Paul B

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
In article <6vir80$170$1...@newnews.global.net.uk>, Sean Webb
<swe...@globalnet.co.uk> writes
>Except intelligence!!!

>Emma wrote in message ...
>>Kim Andrews <k...@foca.co.uk> wrote:

>>>What a shame he cross-posted it and told all us rasf1 reprobates where
>>>to find you... <mad laughter> :o)
>>
>>Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
>>to beat RASF1...
>>
>>--
>>Emma
>>"Although I do not have the gift of the gab and am completely
>>charmless, I just persevere, I never give up." Damon Hill

Hmm, even less actual F1 content than rasf1. They seem to spend most of
the time talking about computer games.

And they havent got anything to compare with the Razzettes :-)))

BTW, anyone know what VIWA means?
--
Paul B
Note: reply to thund...@larkhall.co.uk if replying by Email.

Emma

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Jacques Steiner <arrac...@geocities.bs.com> wrote:

>Emma <Em...@excalvehs.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Judging by what I have just downloaded from that group they have nothing
>>to beat RASF1...
>
>Do tell, please. Several people have e-mailed me about this new (? - secret
>anyway) group and asked me to keep it under my hat; fair enough and quite
>easy when it doesn't even appear on my server (not that I would abandon
>rasf1 again anyway). But the cat's out of the bag now. Since you've seen
>it, can you tell us what it is? Is there really a colony of ex-rasf1ers
>there, or is that just a myth? How do they plan to deal with trolls now
>that one of their number has crossposted and let all of rasf1, Known Trolls
>and all, in on the secret? Has anyone else been the subject of a quiet
>recruitment effort?

So many questions! You'll be wanting to know the answer to why we are in
this universe next...

Okay, I have subscribed to this newsgroup, viwa.formula.one, like Paul
says in another post, it seems to be full of people posting their scores
(times) from various computer racing games.

So far I haven't seen any names that I recognise from here. There only
seems to be a low amount of posting, initial download was 108, approx 20
per day have appeared since then.

To put it plainly - It's boring! You aren't missing anything.

--
Emma
"The Williams team is what, a £25 million business?

Tony Hughes

Oct 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/9/98
Emma's right, it is fairly boring. It's actually livened up a bit since
I last looked about 4 months back - It was getting about 5 posts per
day, mostly from the same person (who's still there actually - Sideshow
Rob).

It's not a patch on here.

Tony Hughes a...@dwad.feck.demon.co.uk Sheffield UK

Remove feck to reply

Please Sir!

Oct 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/10/98
I don't know, having been a lurker for a while I have watched both groups,
Viwa.formula.one has some interesting people, Rob, Sean, Euan and Jonathan
who all make sense. It needs a chance , it has less people , therefore it
will have less downloads than RASF1. Both groups are good try both out and
decide.

gob...@eudoramail.com

Oct 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM10/30/98
Here's the latest list of Formula 1 channels. Get free e-mailed updates
(including an F1 newsletter) by e-mailing form...@plex.nl and asking.

A useful web-site is http://www.formula1.com (F1 TV schedules). Bring up the
relevant race. Others are http://www.formeleins.de (TV channel links) and

http://www.eurotv.com (general TV schedules) or check for F1 coverage details
via the TV URL's below or on teletext. CNN's Time Zone guide is on teletext
page 450 or visit http://www.businesswindow.com/clock.shtml

See alt.satellite.tv.europe or other satellite TV ng's for info on the TV

feeds (and how to get these channels), visit http://www.satcodx.com or SAT 1
teletext pages 675-677. Go along this thread for more info. The "Adverts?"
column means "Action interrupted?", some channels (eg RTBF) have adverts, but

Australia ->Channel 9 ? Yes http://www.ninemsn.com.au

- ->RTBF No http://www.rtbf.be

Brazil ->Globo TV ? No http://www.redeglobo.com.br/

Brunei ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Canada ->TSN ? Yes http://www.tsn.ca
- ->RDS Yes http://www.rds.ca
- ->CBC (Canadian GP) Yes http://www.cbc.ca
- ->Radio Canada (TV) Yes http://www.radio-canada.com
Cape Verde ->RTP Africa ? Yes http://www.rtp.pt/
Carribean Is->Speedvision ? Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Chile ->TVN Channel 7 ? ? http://www.tvn.cl/
China ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com
Colombia ->RCN/Caracol ? ?/? ?
Croatia ->HRT 3 ? Yes http://www.hrt.hr/
Cyprus ->RIK 2 ? ? http://www.cybc.com.cy/
Czech Rep. ->TV Prima ? ? http://www.primatv.cz/
Denmark ->DR 1 or DR 2 ? No/No http://www.dr.dk/
- (GP's shared) - - -

- ->Canal + Digital No ?

Hong Kong ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

- ->Ant 3 ? http://www.antena3tv.es/

Nepal ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Netherlands ->RTL 4/Canal + ? Yes/? http://www.rtl4.nl
New Zealand ->Sky Sport ? No http://www.sky.co.nz

Norway ->NRK 1 or NRK 2 ? No/No http://www.nrk.no/

- (GP's shared) - - -

- ->Canal + Digital No ?

Pakistan ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Papua New G.->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Peru ->America TV ? ? ?

Philipines ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Slovenia ->POP TV ? Yes http://www.pop-tv.si

South Korea ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Taiwan ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com
Thailand ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com

Turkey ->NTV ? ? http://www.ntv.com.tr/
U.K. ->ITV Yes http://www.itv.co.uk
- -> BBC Radio 5 No http://www.bbc.co.uk
Uruguay ->Channel 4 ? ? ?
U.S.A. ->Fox Sports ? Yes http://www.foxsports.com
(see ng) ->Speedvision Yes http://www.speedvision.com
Venezuela ->Venezolana de TV ? ? http://www.veteve.com
- ->Meridiano TV ? ?
Vietnam ->Star Sports ? Yes http://www.espnstar.com
Yugoslavia ->BK Televizija ? ? http://www.bktv.com

US Speedvision F1 viewers: Full details about Speedvision (all the US Cable
carriers who have it etc) are too huge to list here. I have listed them

separately on rasf1 and remember to follow the thread. I will add new ones as
I get them and then post that list at the start of next season. The Fox
Sports affiliates list is short enough to be below. I won't list

Speedvision's Cable carriers in Canada until the blackout lifts (go to
http://www.speedvision.com to see what's being done about this).

TV channel affiliates list.
Some channels have different names in different parts of their respective
countries. Here's a guide:

ITV (UK): (F1 on whole network) Fox Sports (US): (F1 coverage varies)

Area: ITV company: Area: Fox Sports affiliate:

Aberdeen - Grampian TV Arizona Fox Sports Arizona
Belfast - Ulster TV Atlanta Fox Sports South (1 and 2)

Birmingham - Central TV Boston Fox Sports New England

Cardiff - Harlech TV Boston New England Sports Network
Carlisle - Border TV Buffalo Empire Sports Network
Channel Is - Channel TV Denver Fox Sports Rocky Mountains
Glasgow - Scottish TV Detroit Fox Sports Detroit
Leeds - Yorkshire TV Illinois Fox Sports Chicago
London - LWT (Carlton TV) Los Angeles Fox Sports West (1 and 2)
Manchester - Granada TV Miami Sunshine Network
Newcastle - Tyne-Tees TV Miami Sports Channel Florida
Norwich - Anglia TV New York City Madison Sq. Garden Network
Plymouth - TSW New York City Fox Sports New York (1 + 2)
Southampton- Meridian TV Ohio Fox Sports Ohio (1 and 2)
Pennsilvania Fox Sports Pittsburgh
Philadelphia Comcast Sports Network
San Francisco Fox Sports Bay Area (1 + 2)
St Louis Fox Sports Midwest (1 + 2)
Texas Fox Sports South West (1+2)
Washington DC Home Team Sports
Washington St. Fox Sports North West
Wisconsin Midwest Sports Channel 1+2

"2" is also called "Alternate"

Fox Sports is in Canada now and I am researching whether F1 is on it (somehow
I think TSN will fight any move, but they may not be able to stop it).

If you go to http://www.foxsports.com and then to the F1 schedule you can
enter US zip codes and it will tell you how each affiliate will show that
race, so you can find the best one (at a guess Detroit is the Motor City so
I'd vouch for that one if you can get it). Speedvision has a big exposure in
Detroit.

If you ever visit the UK, be aware that everyone will know the alternate name
for ITV where they live, but not all the alternate names it has i.e. everyone
in say, Southampton will know Meridian TV is also called ITV but not all of
them will know what say, Central TV is (UK : if you dispute this fact, watch
15 to 1 on Channel 4 and see how many people get knocked out this way!) So if
you need to ask, ask for ITV, that will always work, wherever you are. Also
there are channels called Carlton Select and Granada Plus which do *not* show
F1 (and are not ITV) but have very similar names to Carlton and Granada,
which do have F1! For reasons too bizarre to explain fully here, Carlton TV
becomes LWT on Friday evenings, until Monday mornings! So F1 is always on LWT
in London I suppose, since Friday practise isn't shown. See what I mean?

Conspiracy Theory ITV was formed when a bunch of Tory MP's (Margaret
Thatcher's party) fell out with the "liberal/biased" BBC in the 1950's and
decided to get revenge by creating a rival 2nd channel that would reflect
their opinions (!) cleverly naming it "Independent Television" (thereby
creating the impression that the BBC was not, cheek!) This fact has been
largely white-washed from our history! Even the Tories now disown the fact
that ITV was their idea, because it all now seems very petty! The tactic
worked though, Britons now think it's called Independent TV only because "It
raises it's money `independently', through adverts", (and the Great War was
called that only because it was big, right?)

I'm still struggling for radio stations that cover F1, if anyone has any info
I'd be glad to get it. Thanks.

Digital F1 is spreading further, the whole of Scandinavia now. Still nothing
in the UK though, even though Sky Digital TV has started. Satellite TV
magazines in the UK do carry adverts for DF1 etc. I'm not quite sure how that
works though. DF1's box isn't compatible with Sky's, then it's PPV. It must
all be very expensive.

The accepted opinion is that Sky and Bernie simply aren't negotiating yet.

This is the final posting for 1998. I think I've helped a lot of people.
Thanks for all the e-mails. I will be compiling a list for next season,
working with Nicky at http://www.Formula1.com and Harm at Form...@plex.nl

These lines just ensure the posting appears on all searches by listing the
alternative spellings and alternative names of the F1 TV channels.

TV Globo Rede Globo DR1 DR2 MTV3 TF1 DF1 Rai Due RAI2 rai3 RAI Tre RTL4 Sky
Sports Canal Plus Polska Canal Plus Blauw Canal+ RTP1 TV-Center TV-Centre TV
Centre Centre TV Center TV Center-TV Centre-TV SABC3 SABC1 TV3 TVC TV
Catalunya TV4 Speed Vision vtm2 vtm 2 VTM Kanaal2 MTV1 MTV 1 "4" TSR2 SF2 SF
2 DRS2 DRS 2 Telefe Tele fe Channel 11 Eurosport21 RTL1 rtl 1 Tele piu tele+

digital an tv network 2 RTE2 ESPN Star Sport ESPN Star Sports Primesports
Prime sports prime sport primesport prime-sport Prime-Sports hrt3

Radio-Canada Television Azteca America Television Fuji Television rik2 lbc1

lbc 1 lbc i fox sport foxsport teleamazonas orf1 et1 La Deux Supersignal
Super Signal

Outstanding: This gives you some idea of the scale of the task! Just a brief
look through an atlas produced this little lot (and there are others).
Although I doubt whether say, Libya, Cuba or Afganistan show F1, tobacco
companies see the Third World as a vast untapped (and as yet unrestricted)
advertising and consumer market, so my guess is F1 is heavily marketed in
many of these countries.

Afganistan, Albania, Algeria, Armenia, Azerbajan, Belarus, Belize, Benin,
Bhutan, Bolivia, Bosnia, Botswana, Bulgaria, Burma (Myanmar), Cambodia,
Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Congo, Costa Rica, Cuba, El
Salvador Ethiopia, Equatorial New Guinea, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Ghana,
Greenland, Guatemala, Guiana (French), Guinea, Guyana, Honduras, Kazakhstan,
Iran, Iraq Israel, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kenya, Kuwait, Lesotho, Liberia,
Libya, Laos, Luxembourg, Macao, Madagascar, Mali, Malta, Maritania, Mongolia,
Morocco, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Nicaragua, Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Qatar,
Sierra Leone, Senegal, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Surinam, Swaziland, Syria,
Tajihkistan, Tanzania, Tibet, Togo, Tunisia, UAE, Uganda, Ukraine, Upper
Volta Western Sahara, Yemen, Zaire (Dem. Rep. Congo), Zambia

Zimbabwe definitely has no F1 TV, fans there tell me they use SABC 3.