alternate water pump for ZZ4 motor?

Kraska

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
I have a ZZ4 Chevy 350ci crate motor that came with a long water pump.
I am anticipating a clearance problem with this set-up. The engine is
going in a 55 Chevy Bel Air with a V-8 radiator mount. The engine
mounts were moved about 3/4" forward to insure the distributor cleared
the firewall. I was looking to switch to a short water pump or go to a
reverse rotation pump with a serpentine belt system. The Chevy parts
man said neither the Corvette reverse rotation nor the regular short
pump will fit on the ZZ4 motor. Any idea why not? Any relatively
simple modifications that can be made to the WP or engine to adapt
these? Any personal experience if a short WP is necessary to get the
fan to clear the radiator in the rear V-8 position on a 55 Bel Air?
Everything is still apart, I don't even have the radiator yet, so I
can't just put it together to see what will happen. I will have to buy
crank, WP, alternator, and A/C brackets and pulleys for this engine so
long vs short WP issue is a big deal. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Jim

Leon Biesiadecki

Aug 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/18/99
You could put the radiator in front like it is on a 6 to gain some
clearance. I've seen this done on a couple cars where they were running
blowers with Gilmer drives.

Kraska wrote:

--
Leon Biesiadecki
Classic Concepts

Mike

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
Rather than moving the motor and transmission forward, here is another
option. Carefully section out a portion of the firewall in the vicinity of
the distributor, fabricate a new piece with sufficient relief in it, and
then weld it back into place? This way you would get the clearance for the
distributor, and not hurt your weight transfer. This would also give you a
little more room for your water pump and fan. Also, you could run an
electric fan/shroud combo for a little more clearance, and less wasted
horsepower.
Good Luck.

John N.

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
The easiest will probably to reverse the radiator mount to put it in
front as on a 6cyl. If I remember correctly, you need to drill out the
rivets, move the rad. holder to the front, then reattach it with bolts
(or new rivets). I went the other way with my 55, moving the radiator
back after putting a V8 into a 6 cyl. car. If your distance is then too
great, a shroud may be necessary.

John

Ibuildm

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
You can put a short pump on the ZZ4 by grinding the head off one of the
timing cover bolts that interferes with a short pump. GM should get the dumb
shit of the year award for pulling this little trick on these engines. Half
of them end up in streetrods or older cars which need to use the short pump.
Maybe someone from GM will read this and enlighten us on this problem. I
have heard that possibly a Edelbrock aluminum pump will work without
hitting.

NOSPAM@netins.net asterix

Aug 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/19/99
TRY A Electric fan or two or moroso elec. water pump or both
Kraska <kra...@email.msn.com> wrote in message

Chris Haase

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
Use a reverse water pump and grab a serpentine belt system from an '88
iroc. That's what I did
on my '80 firebird. I also recommend electric fans. A pair of them works
beautifully, one doesn't
cut it in stop and go traffic.

Kraska

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
That's the idea, Chris. The problem is, GM says I can't put a reverse
water pump on a ZZ4 crate motor. I'm trying to find out why. In
looking at the motor, I think "ibuildm" has the best answer. There is
one acorn head bolt on the timing chain cover that comes very close to
the back of the water pump. I think I'll have to find a short WP
somewhere to play with. If its just this one bolt, no problem.
Jim

Chris Haase <cha...@optonline.net> wrote in message

> Use a reverse water pump and grab a serpentine belt system from an
'88
> iroc. That's what I did
> on my '80 firebird. I also recommend electric fans. A pair of them
works
> beautifully, one doesn't
> cut it in stop and go traffic.
>

> Kraska wrote:
>
> > I have a ZZ4 Chevy 350ci crate motor that came with a long water
pump.

SNIP

Ibuildm

Aug 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/21/99
The 88 IROC system is a long pump setup. I don't know any reason it
shouldn't work as long as you have room for a long pump. As far as I know
the bolt interference problem is only with the short pump.
84 and up Corvettes used a reverse rotation short pump but I don't know what
kind of problems you will have trying to install it on a ZZ4.
Street and Performance inMena, Arkansas sells a ZZ$ with a serpentine system
for short pump. I think they use some kind of marine timing cover to solve
the problem. Again good going GM.

Chris Haase

Aug 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/24/99

Kraska wrote:

My engine is a ZZ4.....It appears to work fine for me!!!!

Chris Haase