problems-1992-Toyota-Corolla, help !

Mike Lacorazza

Jan 20, 1995, 1:52:03 PM1/20/95
In article <18JAN199...@zeus.tamu.edu> j0l...@zeus.tamu.edu writes:

< Hi, I just bought a 1992 Toyota Corolla
with 50k miles on it.
Although Toyoreliability, I do find some problems with it.

Besides problems that may or may not
result from bad maintainance
one problem I find is as following:

There are white, green, red (Toyota use red coolant?)
dots and taints (powders from cloolant ?)
over large portion of the radiator.>

Toyota does use red coolant. If the radiator has never been flushed in 50K
miles, do it. It will help prolong the life of the radiator.

1.) Does it mean there will be worse leaks on the radiator ?

If you have no leaks of coolant in your parking space, and coolant isn't
dissapearing (for example mixing with oil), then you probably don't have a
leak.

2.) when the car is warmed up, the level of the
coolant in the bottle do rises, so
does it mean there is no leak in radiator ?

The coolant bottle is an overflow tank, and the level may change.

3.) is this normal on a 1992 Toyota ?

From what you are describing, it doesn't sound like you have a problem.

4.) If this is a problem, which is the best way
to deal with it ? Go to fix it immediatly ?
wait until bigger problem comes up ( overheating...)
Or change a New Radiator ? How much will these cost ?
Will a "sealing powder or lotion" works ?

If you see physical leaks on the outside of the radiator, it's best to replace
it. I believe that that vehicle has a plastic radiator, so a radiator shop
can't use lead to repair it. If it is leaking, and does so excessively, your
engine could overheat and you could blow a head gasket or even warp the head.
IF you do have a problem, take care of it right away...don't mess with your
cooling system

Hope this helps,

Michael