Steering wheel won't stay straight

Rex Vincere

Jun 23, 2003, 2:47:05 AM6/23/03
I recently had some front end work done - replaced tie-rods and shocks, on a
'98 GTI VR6.
Since then, the steering wheel isn't straight. They straighten it out, align
the car again (3 times already), but after 2-3 days of driving the steering
wheel starts pointing to the left. One time I waited a couple days to see
how far it will go and it ended up at a 45 degree angle.

The shop probably doesn't want to see me again, nor do I want to take the
car there again, as I am afraid they are going to do something
drastic/stupid to fix it "for good".

Any idea what this might be? They claim:
- the car is aligned
- they replaced the coil spring inside the steering wheel assembly
- they tightened the bolts in the steering wheel properly (though I did not
see the guy use a torque wrench for it)

Any help would be appreciated

Rex

4Motion

Jun 23, 2003, 8:35:34 AM6/23/03
It sure sounds like you have something loose. Does the steering pull when
you turn it off-center, or does it hold steady at an angle?

Have another alignment shop go over everything INCLUDING the rear.

"Rex Vincere" <dont...@spam.com> wrote in message

Rex Vincere

Jun 23, 2003, 9:14:36 PM6/23/03
It holds steady at the angle (whatever the angle is that day).
I will take it to another shop definitely, but I wish I had an idea what
could be wrong before they present me with a $1000 fix for it.

"4Motion" <nob...@nowhere.com> wrote in message