93 Civic Location: Speedo Sensor

PTS-EXPRESS

Mar 1, 2004, 12:59:13 PM3/1/04
Anyone know where the speedometer sensor is located for a 93 Civic?
It started operating erratically, jumping up and down to zero while at
driving; then abruptly went kaput. It's electric, so must be
controlled by a sensor mounted somewhere on the engine or transaxle.
Also, what is the fuse # controlling this circuit?
This is the second time this has happened to me in a Honda product;
first was a 89 Accord.

Randolph

Mar 1, 2004, 5:10:09 PM3/1/04
Service manual says fuse # 24 if the car has air bag(s), # 12 otherwise
(I believe all US model Civics had a driver's side air bag in '93). Same
fuse as the alternator warning light, Cruise control, PGM-FI main relay
etc. If that fuse was blown your fuel pump would not run.

The VSS is mounted on the transmission. The service manual does not give
a very clear picture of the exact location, but it is drawn on top of
the transmission, right under the air duct that goes to the throttle
body.

The service manual warns that there is a very small drive link between
the transmission and the VSS. Be careful not to loose it. I'll e-mail
you relevant scans from the service manual. If you reply-to address is
bogus, let me know what the real one
is.

George Macdonald

Mar 2, 2004, 2:30:29 AM3/2/04
On 1 Mar 2004 09:59:13 -0800, pts-e...@excite.com (PTS-EXPRESS) wrote:

>Anyone know where the speedometer sensor is located for a 93 Civic?
>It started operating erratically, jumping up and down to zero while at
>driving; then abruptly went kaput. It's electric, so must be
>controlled by a sensor mounted somewhere on the engine or transaxle.

Here's a diagram for where it sits on a manual trans
http://tinyurl.com/2k8bp Kinda awkward to get to and the sensor plugs into
the top of the drive mechanism shown.

Rgds, George Macdonald

Mista Bone

Mar 2, 2004, 8:28:51 AM3/2/04
code 17 eh????????

look vertically down from the throttle body, you'll see the 3 wire connector
on the tranny for the VSS sending unit. 99% of the time the cause is just a
dirty connection.

I have a few on hand if you decide you need a VSS/speedo unit.

"PTS-EXPRESS" <pts-e...@excite.com> wrote in message

PTS-EXPRESS

Mar 2, 2004, 11:39:45 AM3/2/04
I have an automatic trans; but I suppose that the application is the
same as the manual. Looking at that diagram, all I need is the top
sensor part which attaches to the gear drive. Should be simple
enough...at *least* it's sitting right on top of the engine, and I can
preclude another **wonderful** trip underneath a car.

Must be the age...I didn't mind climbing under a car back in the 70's.
Just young and dumb I guess. Now after going through cancer surgery
and living on a day-to-day basis with high blood pressure, chomping on
pills to stay alive, I have a totally different perspective and
outlook on my life. Climbing under a car - even supported by a
hydraulic jack, backed up by a another jackstand, is something I no
longer have an inclination to do.

About 2 years ago I was working on my old 89 GMC van. If you have
even taken a motor out of a van, you know what I'm talking about.
Vans are the *WORST* thing to swap motors in; no space,bad angles to
get the block out the front,etc. I had the motor out, trans
seperated; and was breaking the short block down. The oil filter
wouldn't budge.

I tried the screwdriver trick-that didn't work either. I finally beat
on the thing enough and ripped most of the cartridge out with pliers
and whatever else was handy. There was a small amount of SHARP
sheetmetal and the base remaining.
I tried using a hammer on a flat chisel to loosen the base and it
slipped.
It slipped right over the dirty filthy sharp edges of the torn up
cartridge.
I almost lost 2 fingers on my right hand that day. I cut into the
tendons a little, and the blood was E-V-E-R-Y-W-H-E-R-E, and didn't
really want to slow down on the bleeding up until about 30-45mins
later.

Gone are the days of driving superfast to high school on 2 lane back
Kentucky roads. ( This was before the Dukes of Hazaard TV show),
beer guzzling, and trying to find a never-ending supply of parties
(free beer).

Try this diet: no salt, no alcohol, no caffiene, no fat/grease/oil.