Discovered Meguiars detailers clay

1 view

Dr. Bob

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
All:

As most of you know I don't normally endorse products for the car.
Last week I was at a car event in the SF area with some fellow 928
owners (one of my non-Explorer toys) where a rep for Meguiars gave a
clinic for keeping the paint pretty. Most of the stuff was pretty
standard; I have lots of different miracle waxes and polishes in my
collection, and each one fills some particular need I'm sure.

My big gripe about the waxing and cleaning process is figuring out how
to get the stuck-on fallout off the paint. This is typically paint
overspray, tree and plant fallout, smog and realetd crud that seems
to find a welcome home on my paint. I like to have it baby-butt
smooth before the wax goes on, so getting the crud off becomes a
major chore. You know the stuff I'm talking about-- Rub your hand on
the hood and it feels like little bits of sand glued to the paint.
Paint cleaner is my solution, with lots of elbow grease. Then wax
with Autofom (sorry, Meguiars, Autofom is my long-time favorite!)

Anyway, The Meguiars rep showed off a product called "professional
overspray clay". Friends, it is amazing stuff! A small ball of
this stuff gets pressed into a little patty about two inches around.
Then, it is rubbed very lightly on the paint to remove overspray and
other on-the-paint crud and deposits, including hard water stains that
aren't too old on the car. They recommend that you use one of their
spray-on detailing products as a lubricant; I used a mild detergent
in water, sprayed on lightly with car wash water. I did the Subaru
parts chaser wagon in less than ten minutes, and it was ready for wax
after it was washed again and dried. I was amazed at how easily it
worked-- just skim the clay patty across the wet/lubricated surface a
few times and it's smooth as can be, ready for your final steps.

The real value for this stuff is for those with clear-coat paint. How
many have had to resort to a cleaner or cleaner-wax product to get the
crud off the paint, only to find they've rubbed off a bit too much
clear coat? The clay takes the crud off without having to rub into
the paint at all.

I found a kit with a cube of the clay and a spray bottle of the
recommended spray solution for about $14 at Pep Boys. I passed on
that, and got a small plastic jar with just the clay for about $17 at
a car paint supply store. You get about four times as much in the
jar, so it's a better deal for me. Of course I have done two cars
already, and just used part of a block. And even that part can be
used for more cars until it gets loaded with junk from the paint.

I have absolutely no interest in Meguiars, Pep Boys are any other
automotive company. Just thought I'd pass on my newly-dicovered
solution to my longstanding problem. Meguiars has a website with more
info on it I'm sure.

Hope this helps, or if you already kenw about it you should have told
me sooner.

Cheers!

dr bob

Mike Iglesias

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
In article <6qja41$k...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,

Dr. Bob <dr....@worldnet.att.no_spam.net> wrote:
>The real value for this stuff is for those with clear-coat paint. How
>many have had to resort to a cleaner or cleaner-wax product to get the
>crud off the paint, only to find they've rubbed off a bit too much
>clear coat? The clay takes the crud off without having to rub into
>the paint at all.

I used Meguiars "Clear Coat Body Scrub" on my 94 XLT before I waxed it
the last time. It removed a lot of crud from the clear coat, and I
waxed it with one of their cleaner/waxes. The Scrub comes in a liquid,
like the wax.

--
Mike Iglesias Internet: igle...@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

Ted Sz

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
On 9 Aug 1998 04:55:29 GMT, dr....@worldnet.att.no_spam.net (Dr. Bob)
exclaimed:

>All:
>
>As most of you know I don't normally endorse products for the car.

Boy, Dr. Bob, with your great reputation in this NG I'm sure you're
going to increase Meguiar's sales on this clay! I've been using
Meguair's for two years now, since I got my '96 Explorer, but I
haven't tried this clay yet - it seemed expensive. But, if you like
it, you've convinced me! I now have a '98 Subaru Legacy wagon, so I
guess we have similar tastes in vehicles, as you mentioned in the
snipped part below that you have one too. I've used Meguiars Clear
Coat Body Scrub and it seemed to work pretty well.

**SNIP**

>And even that part can be
>used for more cars until it gets loaded with junk from the paint.

How do you know when to throw it out? I'm a bit concerned about it
turning into a ball of sandpaper.

Ted Sz

Dr. Bob

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
igle...@draco.acs.uci.edu (Mike Iglesias) wrote:

>In article <6qja41$k...@bgtnsc03.worldnet.att.net>,

>I used Meguiars "Clear Coat Body Scrub" on my 94 XLT before I waxed it
>the last time. It removed a lot of crud from the clear coat, and I
>waxed it with one of their cleaner/waxes. The Scrub comes in a liquid,
>like the wax.

Mike:

I'm looking for ways to get away from the separate rubbing/polishing
step, and really to get away from anything that takes paint off the
car on the way to removing the imbedded crud. Cleacoat cars
especially are crippled with very thin top coats. Once you breach
that top coat, the color coat underneath will start to oxidize,
leaving a light-colored stain that grows until the whole car is
consumed. ==8-0 Maybe not the whole car, but...

I follow the clay with Autofom Paint Cleaner for areas where there
might be stains or surface scratches, and wax with Autofom liquid.
The 928 gets 3M Imperial Hand Glaze until the finish is perfect, then
some protection from Meguiars #26 yellow wax. The Meguiars looks
better for a week or two, then needs attention. The Autofom isn't
quite as spectacular, but lasts months instead of weeks. The
Explorer gets more miles too.

Both cars are dark black, by the way, and truly love a good cleaning
and wax.

Anyway, the "overspray clay" is about the same consistency as the
"Play-Doh" your kids enjoy so much. Hey, Play-Doh may work fine--
but try it on the old car first! Doesn't seem to scratch or remove
any paint except the little bits that stick up.

Works Great!

dr bob

Dr. Bob

Aug 9, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/9/98
szyp...@obvious.addition.esslink.com (Ted Sz) wrote:

>**SNIP**

Ted:

My Subaru is a 1987 GL-10 Turbo Wagon in charcoal grey clearcoated
metallic. Bought it last year from a neighbor who was tired of it.
Had 27k on it, stored inside and a known dealer maintenance history.
Good little car, and my preference over the Explorer when I take off
alone for a day of skiing. Handy parts chaser/spare car. I added
tires when I got it, and just put timing belts on it last week.
Otherwise it's oil, coolant, and gas. Baby brother drives it because
his Jetta is always dirty I guess.

The clay starts out white, so as it loads up it will discolor I guess.
Seems like everything that's landed on the little car is brown so far.
Must be somebody using oxide primer someplace, or maybe from
somebody's house painting project. Anyway, I did the wagon and a
pass at my mother's '89 Taurus that was visiting for AC service. The
clay ball is now beige instead of white. Biggest difference I noticed
is that the detergent I used for a surface lubricant seems to weaken
the oil that holds the clay together. I'll reduce the dosage a little
next time. I guess I could buy a bottle of that stuff Meguiars
recommends...

I have never used the Clear Coat Body Scrub with much success. The
overspray paint on the car was so heavy that I didn't want to risk the
clearcoat with an abrasive product that might burn through the clear.

Good Luck!

dr bob

William Zimmer

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
Dr. Bob

Are you referring to Blue Coral Autofom?

http://www.bluecoral.com/bcprods/autofom/autofom.html

Dr. Bob

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
William:

I was referring to the Blue Coral Autofom.

I also like their Autofom car wash. I takes an extra drying/buffing
step, but keeps the black looking black for a lot longer than regular
car wash soap products. After the car is dried with a chamois and a
terry towel, it gets a second buff with another clean terry towel.
The tiny bit of Autofom in the car wash leaves a film on the car, and
that gets buffed to a 'new' shine at each wash. It's an extra step
that many may not appreciate having to do, however. Another downside
is that it gets on the windows, and needs to be cleaned off with
Windex or whatever before it sets in the sun. Let it set up in the
sun for an hour and it's really tough to get off. Come to think about
it, maybe a bit of that clay would take it off the glass...

I'm sure other companies make similar car wash products. Most
important is to avoid using household detergent products like laundry
or dishwashing soaps. Hey they all have their places-- Tide powder
may be the best carpet-mat cleaner yet, and does an impeccable job on
the garage floor too. Dawn liquid in a little pump bottle is the
premier hand cleaner, and looks good enough to get a spot at the
kitchen sink.

Last 'secret' is using soft water. The fringe benefits of the soft
water have to do with keeping the bathroom fixtures and shower walls
clean, the laundry works a lot better, the clothes come out cleaner.
Main purpose is still related to water spots and mineral deposits that
seem to gather in the finest surface scratches on the paint. Drying
the car, even with a synthetic chamois, a real chamois, then a soft
terry towel-- well, the salts in the water will make sharp little
crystals as they dry on the paint. Drying after a hard-water wash is
a lot tougher on the finish than after soft water. I put a water
softener (Sears) in after I got the 928, and it makes a BIG difference
in all the cars, especially the dark ones.

Am I rambling too much?

dr bob

"William Zimmer" <w...@earthling.net> wrote:

>Dr. Bob

>Are you referring to Blue Coral Autofom?

>http://www.bluecoral.com/bcprods/autofom/autofom.html

<<snipped>>

>>I follow the clay with Autofom Paint Cleaner for areas where there
>>might be stains or surface scratches, and wax with Autofom liquid.

<<snipped>>

William Zimmer

Aug 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM8/10/98
No.

I learned the hard way the first time I washed my new black Maxima and
immediately had my plumbing changed so my car wash water outlet was in the
soft water loop.

I have tried many Mequiars products and find them just OK. The yellow wax
does not seem to last very long but that probably because I use dish soap to
wash the car! It doesn't feel right unless my wash water has plenty of
suds.

I recently waxed my wive's car with the new Turtle Wax Emerald paste wax and
liked the results. Will see how long it lasts. May try Autofom next.

Thanks