difference between 2WD vs 4WD ford explorer

Joe B.

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
what the difference between the ford explorer 4 door 2WD vs the ford
explorer 4 door-4WD?

can someone explain what the 2WD and 4WD does? thanks

mikeh...@mailcity.com

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00

With 2WD 100% of the available torque (turning force) is
delivered through the rear wheels. With 4WD 70% of the
available torque is delivered to the rear wheels and 30% is
diverted to the front wheels. With vehicles that have AWD
the distribution is generally 60/40, biased to the rear for
better handling. A a few AWD's are 50/50, primary FWD
vehicles. Fifty guys will jump in now and disagree, but that
is the basic answer to your question.

Glenn

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
You just answered your own question.

dc...@gmu.edu

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
I think more to the point of the question... 2wd is TWO-Wheel Drive; 4wd
is FOUR wheel drive.

Roger/Debbie Bess

May 17, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/17/00
wow, interesting question..
2wd = 2 wheel drive.. Basically all most people really need,
unless you spend alot of time going off-road or in the snow on unplowed
roads.. (like in ski country).
Power only goes to the rear wheels, like a rear wheel drive passenger
car.

4wd = 4 wheel drive. A few thousand dollars more, harsher ride, lower
gas mileage, poorer handling, more parts to fail, and higher
maintenance..
Power goes to both the rear wheels, and the front. (when you engauge in
4wd mode).

Why do people need 4wd? An absolute must if you want to do any serious
off-roading, mud, and sand.. Comes in handy on snowy roads, but beware,
they can get stuck just like any other vehicle, and 4wd doesn't allow
you any better stopping ability than a 2wd..

Basically, if you have to ask, whats 2wd and 4wd, then you only need
2wd..

Charlie Brown

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
On Wed, 17 May 2000 14:19:21 GMT, mikeh...@mailcity.com shocked the
world by writing:

>"Joe B." wrote:
>>
>> what the difference between the ford explorer 4 door 2WD vs the ford
>> explorer 4 door-4WD?
>>
>> can someone explain what the 2WD and 4WD does? thanks
>

>With 2WD 100% of the available torque (turning force) is
>delivered through the rear wheels. With 4WD 70% of the
>available torque is delivered to the rear wheels and 30% is
>diverted to the front wheels. With vehicles that have AWD
>the distribution is generally 60/40, biased to the rear for
>better handling. A a few AWD's are 50/50, primary FWD
>vehicles. Fifty guys will jump in now and disagree, but that
>is the basic answer to your question.

OK, I'll jump in and disagree...
4WD is 50%-50% front/rear torque distribution.
This is so because the transfer case has no way to do any other style
of power distribution. There's no differential action in the transfer
case of a part-time 4X4 system, which what 4WD is.

Now, when we go to full-time 4WD, A4WD, AWD, and other permutations of
same, the torque can be un-equally split front/rear, because of the
type of coupling between front/rear prop shafts available.

As for the original question, *A* right answer is this:
In a 2WD system, only one set of wheels is capable of being powered.
In a 4WD (AWD, A4WD, etc), power can be applied to both sets of
wheels.

mikeh...@mailcity.com

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Told ya someone would jump in! The question was about SUV's
not trucks. Trucks generally use a transfer case and the
distribution is 50/50. Most SUV's use a viscous coupling
system and the distribution is, as was stated, 70/30 or
60/40 to the rear for better handling. The Explorer 'Select
Trax' is 70/30, but it can go completely front wheel drive
if both rear wheels do not have traction.

dc...@gmu.edu

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
No, No... sounds like someone doesn't have it and therefore is justifying
why other's shouldn't have it. The summation of " if you have to ask" is
also irresponsable, 4wd might be just what this person needs in a vehicle -
truck, van, or sedan.

4wd or AWD does have a lot of safety advantages in addition to the "fun"
advantages of mud/snow. If you frequently get caught in drenching downpours
especially on swashbuckled roads the chances of a spinout in a rear-only
drive vehicle are xx% greater. If your drive system can (or is) in a 4wd
mode you will likely have a much safer time controlling your vehicle.

There are negatives to the Explorer's Control-Trac 4wd system (V6's) which
is why I'll by the AWD next time. My primary complaint is when driving in
normal AUTO in light snow or another slippery condition and you're in a turn
and the rear wheels start to spin... The AUTO kicks in the front wheels
just after the momentum of a slide has started -- the front wheels get a
grip and then propel you forward - in the direction your pointing - which in
a skid is where you DON'T want to be going... I don't like to engage my
system into 4x4 HIGH on light slip conditions - but if I'm on twisty roads
I'll do it to avoid the condition I just mentioned. It's very alarming.

Joe B. Magic -- Please provide some feedback if we've been able to touch on
your original question.....

Roger/Debbie Bess wrote:

> wow, interesting question.. 2wd = 2 wheel drive.. Basically all
> most people really need, unless you spend alot of time going off-road or
> in the snow on unplowed roads.. (like in ski country). Power only goes to
> the rear wheels, like a rear wheel drive passenger car.
>
> 4wd = 4 wheel drive. A few thousand dollars more, harsher ride, lower
> gas mileage, poorer handling, more parts to fail, and higher
> maintenance.. Power goes to both the rear wheels, and the front. (when
> you engauge in 4wd mode).
>
> Why do people need 4wd? An absolute must if you want to do any serious
> off-roading, mud, and sand.. Comes in handy on snowy roads, but beware,
> they can get stuck just like any other vehicle, and 4wd doesn't allow you
> any better stopping ability than a 2wd..
>
> Basically, if you have to ask, whats 2wd and 4wd, then you only need
> 2wd..

Roger/Debbie Bess

May 18, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/18/00
Um, you are correct, I don't have 4wd. But I'm not 'justifying' why others
shouldn't have it..

This person has been driving for years without a 4wd vehicle, so they have
demonstrated that their current lifestyle does not have a demand for 4wd..
I make the assumption that if a person doesn't know what 4wd is, then they
probably don't currently own one..

Now, if they want to change their driving habits, ie, moved to the mountains,
or want to do alot of backwoods camping or fishing, etc, then you are correct,
this person could have some use for 4wd..

I didn't 'slam' those folks who own 4wd, as I'm well aware that there are those
who can benefit from it and those who could do just as well without.

My posts are far from 'irresponsible'. One could say it is you that sounds like
someone who sounds like you purchased a 4wd and is trying to justify it..

dc...@gmu.edu

May 19, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/19/00
I was just providing open-minded responses to circumstances which 4wd would be
beneficial - that's all. I do apologize for my use of "irresponsible" - that wasn't
the right word. I was trying to indicate that this person may not know there may be
faculty's available if he'd experienced any of those hazardous conditions - not that
he just didn't need it because he didn't know about it. The same could be said for
the difference in SCSI and EIDE hard disk drives; each provides pro/con's to the
consumer at difference cost performance levels.

EOS (End of Subject) -- I don't want this turning out like that other rude string of
posts earlier this week -- THAT was irresponsible!

How about we agree to have our own opinions and simply share them! Cool!