1991 Chrysler New Yorker, Fifth Avenue sensor location?? Attn: Daniel J. Stern

瀏覽次數:166 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Jesse

未讀,
2004年3月18日 凌晨12:03:572004/3/18
收件者:
I have a 1991 Chrysler New Yorker, Fifth Avenue and a 3.3L Engine.
I'm having difficulty with the vehicle overheating at low speeds. The two
radiator fans never come on.
I've tried running power direct to them and they they do spin. So, someone
suggested that the radiator fan sensor might be bad.

Can anyone tell me where it would be located on my vehicle and describe what
i'm looking for?

Thank you in Advance.

Jesse

Daniel J. Stern

未讀,
2004年3月18日 凌晨1:15:282004/3/18
收件者:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Jesse wrote:

> I have a 1991 Chrysler New Yorker, Fifth Avenue and a 3.3L Engine. I'm
> having difficulty with the vehicle overheating at low speeds. The two
> radiator fans never come on. I've tried running power direct to them and
> they they do spin. So, someone suggested that the radiator fan sensor
> might be bad.

There is no "radiator fan sensor" per se. There is the engine coolant
temperature sensor, which tells the SBEC (engine control computer) the
temperature of the coolant. This is not the same as the engine temperature
*sender*, which tells the dashboard gauge where between "C" and "H" to
point.

It's not terribly likely the problem is with the temp sensor. They *can*
fail, but they seldom do, and they usually cause noticeable
running/driveability problems when they do. Check for codes (procedure
below) and watch for a 17. If you find 17, then the sensor's a suspect, as
is the thermostat.

The problem is more likely with the cooling fan control circuit. You've
verified the fan motors work, so that's not the problem. If you turn on
the air conditioner, do the fans run then?

Identify the fan relay (my manuals are at my office, and it's nearly 1AM
as I type this, so you'll have to wait if you don't have an alternate
means of determining which is the fan relay). Remove the relay. Look at
the underside of the relay and you will see each of the four pins is
numbered.

To check beyond this point requires a 12v test light or a voltmeter.
With the key in the "On" position, Put the test light or voltmeter leads
across the socket slot for relay pin 30 and any ground (battery negative,
for instance). The test light should illuminate or the voltmeter should
show something like 12v. If not, you probably have a blown fusible link
upstream of the fan relay.

If you do see voltage with this test, proceed:

Carefully take note of the location of pins 30 and 87. Start up the engine
and use an unbent heavy paperclip to connect the socket slot for terminal
30 to the socket slot for terminal 87. This simulates the relay closing.
If the radiator fans come on, either the relay is bad and you need a new
relay, or the relay is never being triggered.

To check for relay triggering, put the test light or voltmeter leads
across the socket slots for relay pins 85 and 86. Start up the engine and
turn on the A/C. If the test light illuminates or the voltmeter reads
something around 12V, the relay's toast and needs replacing. If the test
light does not illuminate or the voltmeter continues to read something
around 0, there's a fault in the temp sensor, the SBEC or the wiring
connecting the temp sensor to the SBEC and the SBEC to the fan relay
trigger terminals.

Leave the paperclip securely in place across 30 and 87 and wrapped with
tape as long as the engine is running if you must drive the car. This will
keep the fan running full time.

DS

D. E. Smith

未讀,
2004年3月18日 上午8:33:282004/3/18
收件者:
Great info, DS!! Would I be able to use the same procedure with my '90 3.3L
New Yorker?? I assume so.

Dennis
sed55ATyahooDOTcom

"Daniel J. Stern" <das...@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

Daniel J. Stern

未讀,
2004年3月18日 中午12:03:202004/3/18
收件者:
On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, D. E. Smith wrote:

> Great info, DS!! Would I be able to use the same procedure with my '90 3.3L
> New Yorker?? I assume so.

Yep.

0 則新訊息