Illegal Acceleration?

John R. Daker

Aug 17, 1992, 12:45:37 PM8/17/92

I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
potential of my car?

I wonder about this more often now that I have 0-60 times in the 3
second range. But even in slower modes of transport with 7 sec. times,
I have wondered what a "protector of humanity" would do. In my
younger and more foolish days, I smoked a cop away from a red light
all the way up to the posted limit. Ooooooooooo.

Section 23.67-8 paragraph 17b: Accelerating faster than the federally
mandated second derivative of location
equation deems suitable for the well
being and safety of the helpless
citixens of this, the United States of
America.

???????
--
------------------------------------------------------------>DarkMan-------->
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio DoD #650

Bob Haar

Aug 17, 1992, 1:50:58 PM8/17/92
In article @rpi.edu, joh...@aix.rpi.edu (Hugh Johnson) writes:

|>In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:
|>>
|>>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
|>>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
|>>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
|>>potential of my car?
|>
|>I know someone who was dumb enough to try this in front of a cop to find out.
|>(The moron was in a screaming red '91 Corvette) He was first in line at a stop-
|>light, and there was a patrol car behind him. He dropped his clutch and blew
|>on up to 45, the posted speed limit, where he stopped accelerating. The cop
|>pulled him over almost immediately. My friend tried to argue that he wasn't
|>speeding and didn't break any laws, but the cop disagreed and gave him a ticket
|>for reckless driving. My friend went to traffic court to further argue his
|>point, but the judge decreed that smoking tires and "excessive" acceleration
|>were grounds for a reckless driving charge. This was in a rural-suburban type
|>area, so I don't know how much urban cops would care about this.

There are also areas that have specific laws against drag racing
on public streets. WHen I was in drivers ed in Ohio, that said that
"pealing out" was considered to be prima facie evidence of drag
racing even if no other cars were involved.

Reckless driving or driving without due regard tickets are somewhat
a matter of discretion on the part of the police officer. If you are
doing something stupid, you might get one. Making the charge stick in
court is a different matter.

In any case, the answers to this question may (probably) vary from
one location to another. The best way to get an answer is to call
your state and local police and ask them.

---
Robert Haar InterNet : rh...@gmr.com
Computer Science Dept., G.M. Research Laboratories
DISCLAIMER: Unless indicated otherwise, everything in this note is
personal opinion, not an official statement of General Motors Corp.

Jim Frost

Aug 17, 1992, 3:56:10 PM8/17/92
In article @rpi.edu, joh...@aix.rpi.edu (Hugh Johnson) writes:
>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>potential of my car?

In NH these actions are prosecuted by two different laws. The obvious
one is reckless driving, which would certainly apply to full
accelleration at an intersection for no reason -- if something
appeared in your path (a likely thing at an intersection) you'd have a
hard time avoiding it. The other law is misuse of power, which is
usually used to prosecute people for burning out.

I always thought they ought to prosecute tire-burners for air
pollution, but whatever works :-).

jim frost
ji...@centerline.com

Matthew Olsen Garretson

Aug 17, 1992, 5:08:05 PM8/17/92
In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:

>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>potential of my car?

A friend of mine was pulled over and questioned for 20 minutes for peeling out
(in a very small way) from a traffic light. After checking the driver's licences
of *everyone in the car*, the cop made some snide comment about "drag racing"
and let my friend go. My friend never even got close to the speed limit, and
certainly wasn't drag racing. In pulling my friend over, the cop ignored
several cars travelling faster than the speed limit.

I don't know if this is the type of thing you were asking about, but I figured
I'd mention it.
--
Matt Garretson :-) gar...@rpi.edu

Stephen Johns

Aug 17, 1992, 4:52:16 PM8/17/92
In article <88...@rphroy.ph.gmr.com> rh...@albert.cs.gmr.com writes:
> [...]

[Lots of stuff deleted]

In Texas it is called "Exhibition of Acceleration" and they will give you a
ticket. I am not sure what the exact definition is, but spinning your tires
is included.
--
Stephen Johns, Research Analyst
Southwest Research Institute, SA, TX 78228 (512) 522-5751

JOSEPH T CHEW

Aug 17, 1992, 6:29:03 PM8/17/92
>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>posted speed limit very rapidly?

There is usually such a law, left up to the nonquantitative
discretion of the nice officer. The offense is generally called
something like "Exhibition of Speed." It is used to take teenage
immortals down a peg or two when they seem confused about the
difference between Main Street and a drag strip, but the particular
incident doesn't seem to merit the more serious charges of "racing"
or "reckless driving." In other words, a minor ticket whose wording
causes one's parents to have a major cow.

>I wonder about this more often now that I have 0-60 times in the 3
>second range.

How did you get the catapult officer to start using nitrous oxide?

--Joe
"Just another personal opinion from the People's Republic of Berkeley"

William Kucharski

Aug 17, 1992, 6:38:51 PM8/17/92
While reading article <1...@io.trident.datasys.swri.edu>, I noticed that
jo...@trident.datasys.swri.edu (Stephen Johns) said the following:

>In Texas it is called "Exhibition of Acceleration" and they will give you a
>ticket. I am not sure what the exact definition is, but spinning your tires
>is included.

Remember also that the "exhibition of acceleration" ticket is subjective at
best. For example, squealing tires followed by acceleration to 40 MPH in the
following 1-3 seconds is probably exhibition of speed, as opposed to having
your foot slip off the clutch, producing an embarrassing drag-strip like squeal.

For that matter, applying full throttle to a 5.0 Mustang in 1st - 3rd gears
tends to break the tires loose regardless of your intent. :-)
--
| William Kucharski, Solbourne Computer, Inc. | Opinions expressed above
| Internet: kuch...@solbourne.com Ham: N0OKQ | are MINE alone, not those
| Snail Mail: 1900 Pike Road, Longmont, CO 80501 | of Solbourne Computer, Inc.
| President, "Just the Ten of Us" Fan Club | "Dittos from Longmont, CO"

Matthew T. Russotto

Aug 17, 1992, 9:03:29 PM8/17/92
In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:

>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>potential of my car?

I don't know about other states, but unless you spin your wheels, you
can accelerate as fast as you want in MD. Unfortunately, it gets cops
attention-- even in a wimpy car-- since most people seem to think you
ought to ease back up to the limit, you break from the pack.
--
Matthew T. Russotto russ...@eng.umd.edu russ...@wam.umd.edu
Some news readers expect "Disclaimer:" here.

John R. Daker

Aug 18, 1992, 10:03:34 AM8/18/92

In a previous article, russ...@eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) says:

>In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:
>>

>>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>>potential of my car?
>

>I don't know about other states, but unless you spin your wheels, you
>can accelerate as fast as you want in MD. Unfortunately, it gets cops
>attention-- even in a wimpy car-- since most people seem to think you
>ought to ease back up to the limit, you break from the pack.

This is what I should have said. No tire squeal, just good, strong
acceleration. Pulling away from the pack of rusted out Chevys and
wimpy driven 535i's.

eoa...@us.oracle.com

Aug 18, 1992, 6:20:06 PM8/18/92

Can't cite the code sections, but in California, you can accelerate as fast as
you want to the limit provided your tires don't squeel. If you smoke 'em up,
then it is exhibition of speed (racing...) or reckless driving depending upon
the opinion of the arresting officer.

Interesting side note on full throttle acceleration: the drivers manual for the
911 Turbo (1989, not sure of others) requires that you accelerate at full
throttle in first gear to 5000RPM once the car is warm EVERY TIME YOU DRIVE IT.
The reason: to clean out the wastegate. Now, 5000RPM is 35MPH, but you get
there in about 1 second :) with a lot of noice when the turbo cuts in.

Ed Oates (my opinions, not Oracle's)

Dan Harling

Aug 18, 1992, 12:51:39 PM8/18/92
In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:

>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>potential of my car?

An officer might write you up for excessive *display* of speed, even if
you do not exceed the speed limit. Whether or not it would stand up in
court is another story. I suspect that the point of the ticket would
be more as a wake-up call than as a civil charge.
Daniel A. Harling (har...@pictel.com)
PictureTel Corp. Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of
Peabody, MA 01960 PictureTel, but they ought to be!

Monty Solomon

Aug 19, 1992, 6:33:42 AM8/19/92
> I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
> breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
> posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
> potential of my car?

"making an improper start"

From the Framingham, MA police blotter:

Fri 8/7/92 10:14 pm: JD, 22, of 40 PH Road was arrested after JD struck Officer
Smith on PH Road with his truck and kept on going. Smith, who was on foot
detail, had signaled the truck to stop with his flashlight after JD allegedly
pulled out of a parking spot squealing his tires. JD stopped the truck, put it
in reverse and hit Smith in the side. He was stopped nearby by a cruiser and
was charged with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon (motor vehicle),
failure to stop for a police officer, operating to endanger, speeding,
operating without headlights and making an improper start.

--
# Monty Solomon / PO Box 2486 / Framingham, MA 01701-0405
# monty%ros...@think.com

Theodore Chen

Aug 19, 1992, 4:26:40 PM8/19/92
In article <1992Aug18...@us.oracle.com> eoa...@us.oracle.com writes:
>Can't cite the code sections, but in California, you can accelerate as fast as
>you want to the limit provided your tires don't squeel. If you smoke 'em up,
>then it is exhibition of speed (racing...) or reckless driving depending upon
>the opinion of the arresting officer.

what if you're deaf and can't hear the tires squeal?

>Interesting side note on full throttle acceleration: the drivers manual
>for the
>911 Turbo (1989, not sure of others) requires that you accelerate at full
>throttle in first gear to 5000RPM once the car is warm EVERY TIME YOU
>DRIVE IT.
>The reason: to clean out the wastegate. Now, 5000RPM is 35MPH, but you get
>there in about 1 second :) with a lot of noice when the turbo cuts in.

0-35 mph in one second? in your dreams. try two.
if you were talking about a bennetton F1 race car, i might believe you.
btw, i like this owner's manual.
-teddy

Jim Brooking

Aug 18, 1992, 10:48:14 PM8/18/92
In article <lkd...@rpi.edu> gar...@aix.rpi.edu (Matthew Olsen Garretson) writes:
>In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:
>>
>>I have wondered about acceleration and the law. Could I possibly be
>>breaking some inane law by accelerating up to, but not exceeding, the
>>posted speed limit very rapidly? For example, using the full 0 to 45
>>potential of my car?
>
>A friend of mine was pulled over and questioned for 20 minutes for peeling out
>(in a very small way) from a traffic light.

I was on my bike one day and left a cop at a light. Zero to 45mph speed
limit in 0.001 seconds... At the next light, he came back along side of
me and I got a nasty "don'tdothatagain" look. 8^)

--
ji...@access.digex.com | (Cage) 1991 323se ZCP-710 | Comus Road
Merry Land (MD) U.S.A. | (Bike) 1986 GSXR750 (sold) | ClarksBURG

Deeran Peethamparam

Aug 19, 1992, 7:45:27 PM8/19/92
John R. Daker (j...@po.CWRU.Edu) wrote:
: I have wondered what a "protector of humanity" would do. In my
: younger and more foolish days, I smoked a cop away from a red light
: all the way up to the posted limit. Ooooooooooo.

Reminds me of the time when I was driving home from a night out -- it
was 2am in the morning, clear sky, moon out, deserted roads. Anyway, I
was sitting at a set of lights on a three-lane highway when a guy in
an '89 Honda Prelude pulled up beside me. He was revving his engine,
and so I thought, "Right! Let's take this guy!". So when the lights
turned green, I smoked him away from the lights (I drive a mildly
worked '79 Mazda 626). So, for the next 3 lights, we had full-on
accleration runs. No other cars on the road, and photo radar wasn't
around then, so I didn't really care too much. Anyways, we were pretty
even -- it came down to who was first away from the lights.

At the final set of lights, he made the "time-out" sign (you know, hands
together to form a "T") and I nodded. Then he pulled out his wallet
and flashed his cop's shield. Oops. Should have seen the smirk on
his face! No ticket, though, thank the lord.

D.P.
--

|================================|===================================|
Deeran Peethamparam | "Just remember -- good

Scott Coleman

Aug 19, 1992, 8:58:18 PM8/19/92
ji...@centerline.com (Jim Frost) writes:

>In NH these actions are prosecuted by two different laws. The obvious
>one is reckless driving, which would certainly apply to full
>accelleration at an intersection for no reason -- if something
>appeared in your path (a likely thing at an intersection) you'd have a
>hard time avoiding it. The other law is misuse of power, which is
>usually used to prosecute people for burning out.

"Misuse of power?" Hmm... Ya think maybe George Bush and a few other politicos
have gotten a few of those tickets? ;-)

--
Scott Coleman tm...@uiuc.edu

Free Advice: It is inadvisable to read Bush's lips at an official banquet.

Khan

Aug 20, 1992, 12:11:40 PM8/20/92

In article <1992Aug19.2...@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> ins...@aurora.cc.monash.edu.au (Deeran Peethamparam) writes:

>Reminds me of the time when I was driving home from a night out -- it
>was 2am in the morning, clear sky, moon out, deserted roads. Anyway, I
>was sitting at a set of lights on a three-lane highway when a guy in
>an '89 Honda Prelude pulled up beside me. He was revving his engine,
>and so I thought, "Right! Let's take this guy!".

[Incidents of drag racing omitted.]

>At the final set of lights, he made the "time-out" sign (you know, hands
>together to form a "T") and I nodded. Then he pulled out his wallet
>and flashed his cop's shield. Oops. Should have seen the smirk on
>his face! No ticket, though, thank the lord.

Yeah, it would have been fun to take the sucker to court on an
entrapment charge. ;-)

eoa...@us.oracle.com

Aug 20, 1992, 1:41:38 PM8/20/92

Didn't you notice the smiley? Yeah, it won't go 0 - 35 in one second, but I'm
so happy while I'm flooring it and the backing off (or shifting...) at around
35, that I lose count :) :) :)

Steven R. Getman

Aug 20, 1992, 5:42:16 PM8/20/92
>John R. Daker (j...@po.CWRU.Edu) wrote:
>: I have wondered what a "protector of humanity" would do. In my
>: younger and more foolish days, I smoked a cop away from a red light
>: all the way up to the posted limit. Ooooooooooo.
>
>Reminds me of the time when I was driving home from a night out -- it
>was 2am in the morning, clear sky, moon out, deserted roads. Anyway, I
>was sitting at a set of lights on a three-lane highway when a guy in
>an '89 Honda Prelude pulled up beside me. He was revving his engine,
>and so I thought, "Right! Let's take this guy!". So when the lights
>turned green, I smoked him away from the lights (I drive a mildly
>worked '79 Mazda 626). So, for the next 3 lights, we had full-on
>accleration runs. No other cars on the road, and photo radar wasn't
>around then, so I didn't really care too much. Anyways, we were pretty
>even -- it came down to who was first away from the lights.
>
>At the final set of lights, he made the "time-out" sign (you know, hands
>together to form a "T") and I nodded. Then he pulled out his wallet
>and flashed his cop's shield. Oops. Should have seen the smirk on
>his face! No ticket, though, thank the lord.
>
>D.P.
>--
In New York they call that a "Contest of Speed" not sure what the fine is
though.

George Antoniou

Aug 26, 1992, 1:02:02 PM8/26/92
In article <1992Aug25.0...@leland.Stanford.EDU> tede...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Theodore Chen) writes:

>In article <1992Aug24.1...@ctp.com> bp...@ctp.com (Bob Pitas) writes:
>>In article <1992Aug17.1...@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> j...@po.CWRU.Edu (John R. Daker) writes:
>>>I wonder about this more often now that I have 0-60 times in the 3
>>>second range.
>>Commuting in a top-fuel dragster? What the hell car gets '3 second range'
>>0-60 times? Even if you drive around with slicks, I find it hard to believe
>>that you can get under 4 seconds... (I don't think most motorcycles can
>>hole-shot that fast!)

Dude my 600 CBR does 0-60 in 3 seconds... what planet do you live on???

Chris Malcolm

Aug 26, 1992, 7:31:08 PM8/26/92
In article <1992Aug25.0...@leland.Stanford.EDU> tede...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Theodore Chen) writes:
>In article <1992Aug24.1...@ctp.com> bp...@ctp.com (Bob Pitas) writes:

|>Commuting in a top-fuel dragster? What the hell car gets '3 second range'
|>0-60 times? Even if you drive around with slicks, I find it hard to believe
|>that you can get under 4 seconds... (I don't think most motorcycles can
|>hole-shot that fast!)

|there are a few motorcycles (in the one-liter class) that will
|go under 3 seconds for the 0-60 with ETs in the 10 second range.
|and a honda CBR600F2 takes just a hair over 3 seconds for the 0-60.

No doubt he was referring to American motorcycles :-)
--
Chris Malcolm c...@uk.ac.ed.aifh +44 (0)31 650 3085
Department of Artificial Intelligence, Edinburgh University

Andy Efron

Aug 27, 1992, 10:32:45 AM8/27/92

Turbine Corvette (built by Andy Granatelli, 100% street legal):

0-60, 3.6 secs.

Admittedly not quite stock. Saw it in an old Motor Trend.

--Andy

"I didn't do it to make history. You do something
that you want to do or feel you have to do, because
you like it and love it. And if it turns out to be
history, well, so what?"

--Carroll Shelby,
from "The Cobra-Ferrari Wars"

Jim Brooking

Aug 26, 1992, 3:04:00 PM8/26/92

8^) Yeah. And my (slightly trick) GSX could easily break 3 seconds.
I wanna CBR1000... Hmm.. If the 600 does it in 3... Argh... >8^)

Mayan Moudgill

Aug 28, 1992, 9:24:29 AM8/28/92
Just as a matter of curiousity --- I think that the best acceleration
a wheeled vehicle can get is 1g (and that's assuming tires with a
coefficient of friction of 1). So, min time to get from 0-60 is 2.7 sec.
Are there any wheeled vehicles out there that claim a time lower than
that?

:)
Mayan
P.S. The physics:
Maximum force exertable by wheels
F = u * m * g
Where:
u is coefficient of friction (<= 1)
m is mass of car
g is gravitational acceleration

Max acceleration of car
a = F/m
= u * g
= g (assuming u = 1)

t = v / a
= v / g
= 27 / 10 ( assuming 60 miles/hr = 27 m/sec, g = 10 m/sec^2)
= 2.7

Actually, 60 miles/hr = 26.8 m/s g = 9.8 m/s^2 ==> t = 2.73 sec

Mayan Moudgill

Aug 28, 1992, 9:31:51 AM8/28/92
Whoops....if you've seen my article claiming less than 2.7 is improbable,
well I forgot to take one thing into account....

Aerodynamics.

You can build cars so that they behave like plane wing, only in reverse.
So the downward force could be a heck of a lot more than 1g.

:)
Mayan

Roberto L. Landrau

Aug 28, 1992, 12:23:11 PM8/28/92
In article <1992Aug28....@cs.cornell.edu> moud...@cs.cornell.edu ( Mayan Moudgill) writes:
>Just as a matter of curiousity --- I think that the best acceleration
>a wheeled vehicle can get is 1g (and that's assuming tires with a
>coefficient of friction of 1). So, min time to get from 0-60 is 2.7 sec.
>Are there any wheeled vehicles out there that claim a time lower than
>that?

There has been some discussion about top-fuel dragsters. They can do
1/4 mile in less than 5 seconds, at speeds of almost 300mph. Someone
figured out that AVERAGES to > 3g's. The initial acceleration is
closer to 6 g's from what I remember reading.

The highlights were:

1) It is possible for the tires to grab with a coefficient of friction
greater than 1.
2) The exhaust pressure is used to push the car down.
3) There are spoilers that act like wings and also push the car down.

--
The opinions stated above are not necessarily my employer's.
Roberto L. Landrau KC1YP lan...@mitre.org r...@linus.mitre.org

George Antoniou

Aug 28, 1992, 1:37:08 PM8/28/92

>> Dude my 600 CBR does 0-60 in 3 seconds... what planet do you live on???
>
>8^) Yeah. And my (slightly trick) GSX could easily break 3 seconds.
>I wanna CBR1000... Hmm.. If the 600 does it in 3... Argh... >8^)

You don't want a 1000CBR, get the 900RR or stay with GSXR but the 1100.

Jim Frost

Aug 28, 1992, 2:04:17 PM8/28/92
moud...@cs.cornell.edu ( Mayan Moudgill) writes:
>Just as a matter of curiousity --- I think that the best acceleration
>a wheeled vehicle can get is 1g (and that's assuming tires with a
>coefficient of friction of 1). So, min time to get from 0-60 is 2.7 sec.
>Are there any wheeled vehicles out there that claim a time lower than
>that?

Nope, you can get much more than that. You have 1g holding you down
but the car's accelleration is lateral, not vertical. Increasing the
coefficient of friction between the ground and the wheel will allow
better accelleration, up to the point where the angular force of the
leading edge of the tire overcomes the downforce (lifting the tire off
the ground). You can increase the coefficient of friction by using
softer materials and wider tires. You can increase the downforce
aerodynamically.

Remember, drag racers can hit 300mph in less than four seconds. I
think they regularly see accellerations in the 4g range, but I'm fuzzy
on that.

The calculations are really hairy because there are so many variables.
For instance, as the tire spins faster centrifical force pulls the
center of the tire out and cuts down the contact area, reducing
friction, but by how much? What kind of aerodynamic up- or downforces
are present on the body of the car, and how fast do they build? Even
the air in and around the tire will have an effect as the speed
builds. As the tire heats up, it gains stickiness (to a point), but
how fast and how much friction?

jim frost
ji...@centerline.com

Bob Pitas

Sep 1, 1992, 12:07:43 PM9/1/92
In article <94...@bu.edu> anto...@buitc.bu.edu (George Antoniou) writes:
The one where not every bike is a rice burning sport bike?

___
/ _ \ '85 Mustang GT Bob Pitas
/ /USH 14.13 @ 99.8 bp...@ctp.com
/ /| \ Up at NED, Epping, NH (Cambridge, MA)

"If you go fast enough, driving in traffic is like driving in a parking lot"
Disclaimer: These opinions are mine, obviously, since they end with my .sig!