95 FORD Ranger 4X4 XLT - LEMON??

Larry A. Couture

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
(I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
anyone.

P.S. Unfortunately, one week following my purchase, Cunsumer Reports
identified Ford products (mostly trucks/Broncos) as 4 of the 10 worst
used vehicles on the market...

Brian Meifert

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
Larry A. Couture (l...@rpi.com) wrote:
: Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I

I don't know what you did this truck but I have had 0 problems with mine.
I have a 94 Ranger STX 4x4, that has just about 30,000 miles on it now, and nothing
has going wrong with it... Maybe you were a little rough in the truck, drove around
in 4x4 on dry pavment... I don't know... But like I said my truck has been flawless.
I have several friends who have owned Rangers over the years and all of them have
been happy with them... They seem to be well built trucks over-all....

mei...@meifert.ultranet.com

Brian Humphrey

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
"Larry A. Couture" <l...@rpi.com> wrote:

>....... Unfortunately, one week following my purchase, Cunsumer Reports

>identified Ford products (mostly trucks/Broncos) as 4 of the 10 worst
>used vehicles on the market...

Larry:

I'm interested in reading that Consumer Reports article. In which issue
did it appear?

-Brian-

SKATEAHOLIC

Aug 23, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/23/95
In article <41e50b$6...@news-2.csn.net>, "Larry A. Couture" <l...@rpi.com> wrote:

> Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
> picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
> impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
> 5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
> on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
> fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
> (I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
> the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
> anyone.
>

> P.S. Unfortunately, one week following my purchase, Cunsumer Reports

> identified Ford products (mostly trucks/Broncos) as 4 of the 10 worst
> used vehicles on the market...

Ya must have got a lemon.... Love mine, it's a '92 though. 80,000
miles and no major problems other than regular maint and 4 wheels
like a jeep (almost). Bummer for ya though...

--
Mark Shiels - Computer Operator | FORD-The best never Rest!
VAX/VMS - Admin. Computing | 92' EXPLORER XLT- 4.0L

Mark Gums

Aug 24, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/24/95
> "Larry A. Couture" <l...@rpi.com> writes:
> Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
> picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
> impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
> 5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
> on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
> fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
> (I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
> the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
> anyone.

Hm! Seems you got a lemon. I've had one for 15 years. I have never had anything
on the scale you've had. It now has 108K on it, does not even burn oil.
BUT: Full size 4x4 trucks are very much maintance hogs. I go and grease all the
fittings(about 25 of 'em!) with every oil change, dismantle the front axle every
spring to get to the 4x4 parts, and go over it every fall. It also goes with out
saying the only time you use the four wheel drive is in a bad traction situation.
The ranger xlt's don't have full time four wheel drive. You don't drive on anything
resembling dry pavement with it. That WILL blow up the front drive shaft in
about 100 miles, much less 5000. Also adding lift kits or any such other nonsense
will also do it. Later. -Mark

Larry A. Couture

Aug 25, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/25/95
I belive it is a seperate report that they publish. I heard the reasults
on NPR (while driving my new Ford Ranger!)

David W. Taylor

Aug 26, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/26/95
In article <41fm2m$3...@news.res.ray.com>,

Brian Meifert <meifert@I_should_put_my_domain_in_etc_NNTP_INEWS_DOMAIN> wrote:
>Larry A. Couture (l...@rpi.com) wrote:
>: Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
>: picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
>: impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
>: 5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
>: on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
>: fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
>: (I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
>: the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
>: anyone.
>
>: P.S. Unfortunately, one week following my purchase, Cunsumer Reports
>: identified Ford products (mostly trucks/Broncos) as 4 of the 10 worst
>: used vehicles on the market...
>
>I don't know what you did this truck but I have had 0 problems with mine.
>I have a 94 Ranger STX 4x4, that has just about 30,000 miles on it now, and nothing
>has going wrong with it... Maybe you were a little rough in the truck, drove around
>in 4x4 on dry pavment... I don't know... But like I said my truck has been flawless.
>I have several friends who have owned Rangers over the years and all of them have
>been happy with them... They seem to be well built trucks over-all....
>
>mei...@meifert.ultranet.com

My experience with Ford was that the F150's are garbage. I bought a
92 in 93 it had the 300 Six fuel injected motor 4x4 and 5 spd. It had
a warrantee repair at every oil change for the entire time I owned
it. (2 yrs) It had to be towed into the dealer 4 times for problems
that halted its running. I tried to get the brakes fixed for 4 months
and finally traded it in on my Wrangler when the warrantee was up.
I had to argue every time I went to the Dealer with a problem (Make
that Dealers Plural I tried three.)

Ford KNOWS they have a brake problem on these years but won't do
any thing about it. I experienced shuddering problems that put
the truck sideways on one occasion.

"Quality is job one" my A**.

For the record this truck was used 99% Highway at the time and was
not even a bit abused.

List of problems: Weak side motor mount mis installed in wrong holes
from factory broke and wrecked the radiator/shroud/fan/alternator,
Both doors had to be re assembled at the dealer, Starter stuck in the
cranking position and burned up, Transmition had overheating problems
if I loaded more than 500 lbs in truck, Numerous loose bolt problems
(Iswear they did not tighten a single scew or bolt on this truck) AC
pump failed and leaked down. Took repeated trips to dealer to kill
about 6 different rattles in dash.

Can you say FORD sucks,,,,I can.
David Taylor Office Phone (503) 642-8563 Work 7:00am til 7:30pm THU,FRI,SAT
DOD#979 93'DR350S/57'Ford 500/81 GMC 4x4 /94'Wrangler
My opinions are mine ,,NOT Intel's and nobody elses(Jeese whod wantem anyway).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
David Taylor
My opinions are mine ,,NOT Intel's and nobody elses(Jeese whod wantem anyway).
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dean Bethke

Aug 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/28/95

I have a '92 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0l, Auto that I bought
used in '93 with 23k miles. It now has 75k miles and,
with the exception of an oil leak, fixed under warranty
with no questions asked, and a leaky power lumbar
switch, fixed under warranty with no questions asked,
I have had no problems with it. I just change the Oil
at every 3k and it keeps on running. I don't think my
truck is an exception to the rule.

Dean

Mike Sisk

Aug 28, 1995, 3:00:00 AM8/28/95
>>>: Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
>>>: picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
>>>: impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
>>>: 5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
>>>: on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
>>>: fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
>>>: (I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
>>>: the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
>>>: anyone.

My '95 Ranger 4x4 XLT now has 12,000 miles on it with zero problems. It's
seen some pretty hard off-road usage too, including deep sand and rock
crawling.

Only "problem" I've found is the stock Firestones just ain't very tough. The
off-road performance of the truck has improved 100% since I replaced the tires
with 31x10.5 All Terrain TAs.

A case of YMMV I guess.

---

-Mike

Granny Potts

Sep 3, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/3/95
Mike Sisk (ms...@autodesk.com) wrote:
: >>>: Just a warning to anyone shopping around. After extensive test-driving I
: >>>: picked a loaded '95 Ford ranger 4x4 XLT to replace my tired S-10. I was
: >>>: impresed with the Air-bag, creature comforts, and drivability. In
: >>>: 5,000 miles the front left U-joint/axle assembly disintegrated (fell out
: >>>: on the dealers parking lot!), the front diff. axle seal blew-out, dumping
: >>>: fuild all over my driveway, the drive shaft had to be "glued in place"
: >>>: (I'm not kidding), and the real main seal went causing Ford to replace
: >>>: the entire motor!!. In short, I could not recommend this vehicle to
: >>>: anyone.
:

I own an '83 Ranger 4x4 and have had no major mech. failures (besides engine
rebuild at 200K but that was not a needed... I just wanted more power.)

However, my father owns a '92 Ranger 4x4 and is having major transfer
problems. After about a year, the 4x4 computer module tokk a dump on him.
4x4 would engage when it felt like it, and low range would never work.
Since it was warrented, the comp. was replaced. But just recently the
motor that pulls all the transfur gears has gone belly up. Repair bill?

$325 - ouch!

My old man is a fairly conservative driver with about 90% of the 112K on the
highway and maybe 1% in 4x4. What my dad and would like to know is, why
can't we still get the old fasion-style manual shift 4x4? Was it too hard
to get outside the car and lock hubs? Was it too hard to reach down and
pull that second shifter. If some of these yuppies can't handle this,
maybe they just stay on the interstate! As for Ford... maybe they should
take a look at who really uses 4x4.

Andy

John Laughlin

Sep 5, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/5/95
In article <42baja$j...@techsrv1.tech>, Granny Potts <agba...@mtu.edu> wrote:

>However, my father owns a '92 Ranger 4x4 and is having major transfer
>problems. After about a year, the 4x4 computer module tokk a dump on him.

...What my dad and would like to know is, why

>can't we still get the old fasion-style manual shift 4x4? Was it too hard
>to get outside the car and lock hubs? Was it too hard to reach down and

...etc.

You can. I have a '94 with manual hubs. In fact about 90%+ of Rangers
sold around here have manual hubs. Only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Point of interest: 90%+ of Explorers have auto hubs.

John

Jon Sager

Sep 9, 1995, 3:00:00 AM9/9/95
Just to add my experience:

I'm on my second Ranger (94 4x4, 4.0) and love both. The first (an
89) had 79k on it before I traded it in.

Within the first month of owning it I took it out one weekend and put
3k off road, even burying it deep enough in the mud to have to be
pulled out. It seems to me that the person who started this thread
got a freak accident rather than the rule.

When I'm done with this Ranger I'll probably buy another Ford.

Jon.

ps. My wife drives an 70k Explorer.