Maya 44 PCI phantom power out

Jens Weisse

Jun 23, 2006, 6:04:21 AM6/23/06
Hi guys - I have a question to those of you using the built-in mic pre in
the maya 44 PCI with a condenser (phantom power). SUpposedly, Maya provides
Phantom power, but does not have an XLR output... Do I need an adaptor for
this, or can I use a standard Mic Cable (XLR to plug). I would think that
the plug would have to be stereo to use phantom power? What about the
polarity? There is no documentation about this in the manual,
unfortunately...

Kind regards,

Jens

Arny Krueger

Jun 23, 2006, 6:43:30 AM6/23/06
"Jens Weisse" <jens.weisse.ns.@domain.com> wrote in message

> Hi guys - I have a question to those of you using the
> built-in mic pre in the maya 44 PCI with a condenser
> (phantom power). SUpposedly, Maya provides Phantom power,

http://www.audiotrak.net/maya44mk2.htm

Only 12 volts of it.

> but does not have an XLR output...

You don't hook mics to outputs.

But the Maya 44 PCI does have TRS jack inputs.

> Do I need an adaptor
> for this, or can I use a standard Mic Cable (XLR to
> plug).

Looks like you need one or two XLR to TRS converters. They are regular stock
adaptors, made and sold by many.

Laurence Payne

Jun 23, 2006, 9:04:12 AM6/23/06

The manual says that the Line1 input jack doubles up as a Mic input
with 12v phantom power. This is rather strange. Standard phantom
power is 48v. Domestic soundcards offer a different 5v system for
cheap headset etc. mics. I rather doubt this is T-powering. (Google
it, if you're interested.) Some mics may work on 12v. Perhaps, as
12v is easily available inside a computer and 48v isn't, they just
provided it on a "well, see if it's any use to you!" basis :-)

To confuse the issue further,
http://www.esi-pro.com/viewProduct.php?pid=62
says it's 48v. Misprint?

Jens Weisse

Jun 23, 2006, 9:41:24 AM6/23/06
Thanks for the replies. I wasn't aware that there are auditorak mayas and
esi mayas...

The esi maya manual says 48V. I'm off to the music store to get my one of
these adaptor thingies for the INPUT of the esi... :-)

Thanks again.

Jens

Eeyore

Jun 23, 2006, 7:34:44 PM6/23/06

Laurence Payne wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 12:04:21 +0200, "Jens Weisse"
> <jens.weisse.ns.@domain.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi guys - I have a question to those of you using the built-in mic pre in
> >the maya 44 PCI with a condenser (phantom power). SUpposedly, Maya provides
> >Phantom power, but does not have an XLR output... Do I need an adaptor for
> >this, or can I use a standard Mic Cable (XLR to plug). I would think that
> >the plug would have to be stereo to use phantom power? What about the
> >polarity? There is no documentation about this in the manual,
> >unfortunately...
>
> The manual says that the Line1 input jack doubles up as a Mic input
> with 12v phantom power. This is rather strange. Standard phantom
> power is 48v.

There's more than one phantom power standard actually. 48V is more flexible
though.

Graham

Jens Weisse

Jun 26, 2006, 2:53:28 AM6/26/06

> The esi maya manual says 48V. I'm off to the music store to get my one of
> these adaptor thingies for the INPUT of the esi... :-)

Just for the record: everything works fine with an xlr to stereo plug with
the maya.

THanks again-

Jens

Richard Crowley

Jun 26, 2006, 8:45:50 AM6/26/06
"Jens Weisse" wrote ...

> "Jens Weisse" wrote ...

>> The esi maya manual says 48V. I'm off to the music store to get my
>> one of
>> these adaptor thingies for the INPUT of the esi... :-)
>
> Just for the record: everything works fine with an xlr to stereo plug
> with
> the maya.

With what micerophone(s)?
Many mics work fine with 12V of "phantom power"
Seems very unlikely that card has 48V available.

Jens Weisse

Jun 26, 2006, 9:28:31 AM6/26/06

"Richard Crowley" <rcro...@xpr7t.net> wrote in message

>> With what micerophone(s)?
> Many mics work fine with 12V of "phantom power"
> Seems very unlikely that card has 48V available.

an AKG C1000S

Kind regards,

Jens

Don Pearce

Jun 26, 2006, 9:47:15 AM6/26/06

That mic can use an internal battery. It doesn't need phantom power.

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com

Laurence Payne

Jun 26, 2006, 3:28:13 PM6/26/06
>> The esi maya manual says 48V. I'm off to the music store to get my one of
>> these adaptor thingies for the INPUT of the esi... :-)
>
>Just for the record: everything works fine with an xlr to stereo plug with
>the maya.

What microphone?

Laurence Payne

Jun 26, 2006, 3:28:54 PM6/26/06
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:28:31 +0200, "Jens Weisse"
<jens.weisse.ns.@domain.com> wrote:

>>> With what micerophone(s)?
>> Many mics work fine with 12V of "phantom power"
>> Seems very unlikely that card has 48V available.
>
>an AKG C1000S

With the battery removed? :-)

Mr.T

Jun 27, 2006, 1:10:00 AM6/27/06

"Don Pearce" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote in message

> >> Many mics work fine with 12V of "phantom power"
> >> Seems very unlikely that card has 48V available.
> >
> >an AKG C1000S
>
> That mic can use an internal battery. It doesn't need phantom power.

And obviously works on low voltage then anyway.

MrT.

Jens Weisse

Jun 28, 2006, 10:44:00 AM6/28/06

"Laurence Payne" <lpayne1NOSPAM@dslDOTpipexDOTcom> wrote in message