Unable to Burn WAV file as Audio CD

harry

Nov 1, 2011, 5:19:24 PM11/1/11
I have a number of WAV files obtained from various devices such as
Voice Recorders and a Music notation program. These play without any
problem but won't Burn as an Audio Cd from Windows Media Player or
some Burning programs .

I've found that if I load them into Media Player and play them they
will then burn. If I load them into Media Player and save them I can
Burn the saved version any CD Burner.

Any ideas on why they don't work without "doctoring"?

regards

Harry

Don Pearce

Nov 1, 2011, 5:21:56 PM11/1/11
A WAV file can contain all sorts of formats, only one of which will
burn straight to CD - linear PCM. When you load the file into Media
Player it gets decoded to the LPCM format which will burn nicely.

swanny

Nov 1, 2011, 8:16:13 PM11/1/11
Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

Bill

Nov 2, 2011, 4:51:44 AM11/2/11
In message <iZ%rq.5140$7r4...@viwinnwfe02.internal.bigpond.com>, swanny
<swa...@nospam.net> writes
>Check the bit rate and resolution. An audio CD is 44.1kHz and 16 bit.

And stereo. Some of those recorders might record mono.

You are doing the right thing in re-saving from a program that converts
to the CD format, but be very wary of doing this in Windows 7 because of
the sample rate converter problems..
--
Bill

geoff

Nov 2, 2011, 3:07:42 PM11/2/11
Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source file
on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second thought., You
can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade them, level them,
move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off, re-arrange the event or
bits thereof.

geoff

Frank Stearns

Nov 2, 2011, 4:03:55 PM11/2/11
Is there a version of CDarch later than 5.2 that supports processing (EQ, comp, and
such) on individual components added to the project?

You can add a gain line and change levels any place you want, but I've only found
processing plug-ins as universal to the project.

Thanks,
Frank
Mobile Audio

--
.

geoff

Nov 3, 2011, 2:49:47 AM11/3/11
Look harder - in 5.2d you get a little FX-chain icon bottom right of every
timeline event, as well as the over-all one on the Master. In fact that was
even the case in 5.0 !

The only drawback is that all the plugins are effectively using processing
power all the time, even on the not-current timeline event, so with a bunch
of heavy-cpu-load plugs and a weak-to-moderate Pentium CPU, realtime preview
can get a bit patchy.

geoff

Arny Krueger

Nov 3, 2011, 8:34:50 AM11/3/11

"geoff" <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote in message
At a far lower price, even the OEM version of Nero will convert files on the
fly so that they burn to a music CD.

Scott Dorsey

Nov 3, 2011, 9:33:29 AM11/3/11
Arny Krueger <ar...@cocmast.net> wrote:
>"geoff" <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz> wrote in message
>>
>> Or if you uase CD Architect you can chuck just about any format source
>> file on the timeline and burn them to CD without giving it a second
>> thought., You can also easily effect them individually or overall, fade
>> them, level them, move them around , cross-fade them, chop bits off,
>> re-arrange the event or bits thereof.
>
>At a far lower price, even the OEM version of Nero will convert files on the
>fly so that they burn to a music CD.

I see some advantages of this for consumer use, but I find the notion of
transparent format conversion absolutely terrifying.
--scott

harry

Nov 3, 2011, 11:26:43 AM11/3/11
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Harry

Frank Stearns

Nov 3, 2011, 11:30:22 AM11/3/11
"geoff" <ge...@nospampaf.co.nz> writes:

snips

>> You can add a gain line and change levels any place you want, but
>> I've only found processing plug-ins as universal to the project.

>Look harder - in 5.2d you get a little FX-chain icon bottom right of every
>timeline event, as well as the over-all one on the Master. In fact that was
>even the case in 5.0 !

Really! How sweet is that?!

Thanks for the enlightment, Geoff! It's rare that I need to do this, but nice to
now know I can.

Peter Larsen

Nov 3, 2011, 4:41:39 PM11/3/11
I tried making a CD with windows media player three times, first, only and
last, this because it had/has the default behavior of normalizing all
tracks. Not all that comes from we know best corporation is optimally
configured out of the shrinkwrap ... it is usually a very good idea to take
a tour of all settings and check the defaults and whether they should be
changed.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Phil W

Nov 4, 2011, 1:54:57 AM11/4/11
Peter Larsen:

> I tried making a CD with windows media player three times, first, only and
> last, this because it had/has the default behavior of normalizing all
> tracks.

At least in WMP 12 under Win7, you can switch that function off.
Extras - Options - Burning

IIRC iTunes has a similar function, though I惴 not sure, if it愀 active by
default.

> Not all that comes from we know best corporation is optimally configured
> out of the shrinkwrap ... it is usually a very good idea to take a tour of
> all settings and check the defaults and whether they should be changed.

Very true! In my experience, that applies to *most* programs, no matter
which OS.