Studio Vision Question...

Tall Paul

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

In article <556nn4$c...@jupiter.planet.net>, rose...@planet.net (Michael
Rosenstark) wrote:

> Can Vision for Macintosh (Studio Vision Pro, specifically) record more
> than sixteen midi channels at once? If so, how does one specify which
> midi input ports are to be routed where?
>
> Please email or post any replies, your choice.
>
> thanks for any help,
>
> mike

Mike,
Greetings,

> Can Vision for Macintosh (Studio Vision Pro, specifically) record more
> than sixteen midi channels at once?

The number of MIDI channels that can be recorded is not dependan on the
software primarily, but on a MIDI to Macintosh interface (check out stuff
by Opcode and MOTU) They have what are called PORTS. Each indiviual port
(the # will vary on the type of interface you get) has it's own
independant 16 MIDI channels. So if you have an interface with 4 ports..
you essentially have 64 Channles (4x16=64) at your disposal. The only
limitation to the number of MIDI channels that can be processed by Vision
is RAM. Look under the OPTIONS menu to PREFRENCES... in the bottom left
hand corner you'll find "maximum playable tracks" If you have more than 3
or 4 MEG allocated to Vision... You should have no problem processing at
least 500 MIDI channels.... if that's not too overboard <g>...

> how does one specify which
> midi input ports are to be routed where?

All the input routing is 'pre' labeled... so to speak. You have to set up
your "instruments" in OMS (Open Music System) first. You end up refering
to each channel by Port and Channel. Ex... Port 1, channel 7 or Port 2,
channel 1, etc.. These all can be customized with OMS (which comes with
Vision)

I'd love to know why you'd want to record "more than sixteen" MIDI
channels at one time though. Rarely do I see more than a handful
simultaneously.

hope this helps...
Good luck

Tall Paul

--
"One day I want an exciting and challenging career in the music and/or entertainment industry", he says as he makes a pot of coffee, empties the trash, sweeps the floor, cleans the toilet, fills the candy machine, drives for endless hours looking for some exotic beer for the artist in studio A because he can't relate to life without it. "Would I trade this for anything..... nope!"

Michael Rosenstark

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Michael Rosenstark * rose...@planet.net * 201-PIG-LARD (201-744-5273)