Tascam DA-30 Error Message

heather

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

Anybody out there know what an Error 03 is on a Tascam Da-30 mkII? It
happens only on 1 tape ehen I insert it. The machine won't do anything
with the tape, FF, rewind or play. This same tape plays fine on a
DA-20.thanks heather

Chris Pye

Nov 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/26/96

A truly wild guess, as I know very little about either machine.

Could the tape be recorded at a sample rate the DA-30 doesn't support?
LP mode or something.

Chris Pye

Rick Paul

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

heather <plas...@ibm.net> wrote in article
<329b11b...@news-s02.ny.us.ibm.net>...

> Anybody out there know what an Error 03 is on a Tascam Da-30 mkII? It
> happens only on 1 tape ehen I insert it. The machine won't do anything
> with the tape, FF, rewind or play. This same tape plays fine on a
> DA-20.thanks heather

The manual says the machine thinks the tape is broken or unaccepatabily
think (e.g. 180 minutes or more). It suggests replacing the tape with a
tape of 120 minutes or less.

I don't think I've seen this error, but I've had a lot of Error 00, Error
01, and even some Error 02 messages. Lately my deck has been rendered
useless due to Error 01 happening pretty much continuously, and my fax to
Tascam Customer Service to try and find out how/where to get the deck fixed
has met with absolutely no response.

Rick
--
==================================
Rick Paul

Andrzej Kijanowski

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

heather <plas...@ibm.net> wrote in article
<329b11b...@news-s02.ny.us.ibm.net>...
> Anybody out there know what an Error 03 is on a Tascam Da-30 mkII? It
> happens only on 1 tape ehen I insert it. The machine won't do anything
> with the tape, FF, rewind or play. This same tape plays fine on a
> DA-20.thanks heather

Tape broken or too thin. You are probably trying to use a 90 meter DDS tape
- DA30mk2 doesn't like 90m tapes.

--
Andrzej Kijanowski

Mark Guenther

Nov 27, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/27/96

heather wrote:

> Anybody out there know what an Error 03 is on a Tascam Da-30 mkII? It
> happens only on 1 tape ehen I insert it. The machine won't do anything
> with the tape, FF, rewind or play. This same tape plays fine on a
> DA-20.thanks heather

I don't have the DA-30 mkII manual at hand, but I believe one of the
"error 3" meanings is that the tape is too thin (was the DAT in question
a 90 meter DDS tape?).

Hope this helps,

Mark

John Moran

Nov 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/29/96

In article <329b11b...@news-s02.ny.us.ibm.net>, plas...@ibm.net
(heather) wrote:

> Anybody out there know what an Error 03 is on a Tascam Da-30 mkII? It
> happens only on 1 tape ehen I insert it. The machine won't do anything
> with the tape, FF, rewind or play. This same tape plays fine on a
> DA-20.thanks heather

I bet if you look at the tape, it is a 180 minute dat tape or the
equivalent in a data tape. The DA-30 will very specifically not play
those long tapes. Dont know about the DA-20 handling them, but the 180
tapes have a specific hole pattern that indicates the length of the tape
to the DA30, and gives the results, or lack thereof, you describe.

regards

jm

--
John Moran
digi...@riter.computize.com

"It's your fire, don't get burned."

Thomas Sandmann

Nov 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/30/96

Mark Guenther <ma...@nwlink.com> wrote:

>I don't have the DA-30 mkII manual at hand, but I believe one of the
>"error 3" meanings is that the tape is too thin (was the DAT in question
>a 90 meter DDS tape?).

Yes, that's right. Error 03 means the tape is broken or unacceptably
thin. You can only use DAT cassettes with less than 120 mins.

Thomas Sandmann
ths master mix
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Alley/8517

heather

Dec 2, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/2/96

Thanks to all that responded! Yes the tape was a 90Meter DDS tape!!
And yes the DA30 spits it out everytime... Somehow it got mixed in
with my 60meter DDS tapes. I appreciate the quick response!! BTW the
DA20 will play and record the tape (90m) fine but it doesn't like to
FF to the end of it.....heather