DacMagic Plus Power Supply - should I replace it

news

Apr 21, 2014, 6:29:27 AM4/21/14
Hello Group,

I have a Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus and it comes with a wall wart AC to
DC power supply, it contains a switching power supply for 12 Volts DC. It
really bugs me that they would use a wall wart for a fairly good quality
product. This DAC makes my CD players sound very nice. Are others familiar
with this product, is it worth replacing the wall wart with a proper linear
DC power supply?

Thanks,

Shaun

news

Apr 22, 2014, 5:51:43 PM4/22/14
>"Greg" wrote in message
>I don't know, but I'd be trying it with a battery and listening.
>I know a battery pack made a positive difference with my Audiophilleo.

>Greg

Thanks...

I don't know why I haven't tried that yet? I have several good 12 Volt SLA
batteries. Before I was looking into it, I thought the DC voltage was 5
instead of 12 volts.
I'll give it a try.

Shaun

Oregonian Haruspex

Apr 22, 2014, 7:44:58 PM4/22/14
Another relatively inexpensive option would be a 12v power supply such
as we ham radio nerds use. They are heavily filtered and designed not
to give spurious emissions. Obviously a battery is the best option for
noise, but you should be careful lest you wear the battery out over
time.

~misfit~

Apr 23, 2014, 7:17:35 PM4/23/14
Making up a Li-Ion pack would solve the wearing out problem. However three
cells is 10.8v and four is 14.4v. :-/

Li-Ion is such a great technology and is getting quite affordable - not just
the cells but small charge / discharge controller PCBs. It's just a shame
that the cell voltage (and multiples thereof) don't fit easilly with
commonly used voltages.
--
</Shaun>

cozy little classification in the DSM."
David Melville (in r.a.s.f1).

Oregonian Haruspex

Apr 24, 2014, 9:59:39 PM4/24/14
An option is to use a DC to DC converter to boost the voltage.