The financial health of the high end industry

eri...@batelnet.bs

Jun 18, 2014, 12:04:32 PM6/18/14
How are the major high end companies fairing in the present USA and world economic climate?
I am thinking of companies such as Audio Research, Conrad Johnson, JBL, McIntosh, Wilson Audio and non USA companies such as QUAD, Magico and MBL.

Just recently I contacted QS&D the USA distributor for QUAD to purchase an esl63 panel. Randy the co-owner with whom I had built an excellent relationship since 1991, told me that sadly QS&D closed their doors w.e.f Jan 1st 2014. A major cause was the continuing inability of QUAD to supply product on anything approaching a timely basis.

ESTG/

Olafur Gunnlaugsson

Jun 19, 2014, 8:39:44 AM6/19/14
�ann 18.6.2014 17:04, skrifa�i eri...@batelnet.bs:
Quad the company has not existed for something like 20 years, the
current brand owner IAG is a humongous Chinese company that in addition
to manufacturing hi-fi, MI, pro-audio and lighting products under its
own brands like Mission, Wharfedale, Castle, Leak and Audiolab, owns
companies such as Luxman and manufactures as a contract manufacturer and
OEM for companies such as Korg et al. And more recently have started
manufacturing Yachts for some reason.

I am not aware of any supply problems with QUAD products, I am willing
to bet that the problem with the USA distribution were more local than
your source was willing to say.

Peter Wieck

Jul 28, 2014, 7:17:57 PM7/28/14
On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 12:04:32 PM UTC-4, eri...@batelnet.bs wrote:
> How are the major high end companies fairing in the present USA and world economic climate?

A few things are happening:

a) Those of exceeding wealth will always have places to indulge themselves. And well past the point of diminishing returns.
b) Those who wish only to listen to great sound and have no need for any attendant excess will also have places to indulge themselves. And get excellent value for their money as well.

That being written, it is also my belief that anyone with patience and a little bit of luck can do extremely well on the vintage/used market with little or no compromise on the ultimate results. I also believe that in the typical +/- 4,500 c.f. listening room, pinnacle results should be achievable for far less than $10,000. Pure blind luck and $5,000 will do it absolutely. Exceptions, of course, would be individuals who are dedicated to vinyl, and therefore are willing to spend huge funds on turntables. I generally make exceptions for moving parts. I spent three years as a machinist, and I very much appreciate how much labor may be entirely invisible to the naked eye.

So, those companies that make good stuff at a fair price (Grado, Magnepan and many more - but not all of those - on this list: http://windhaming.com/american-made-audio-list/ ) will continue to survive and thrive. Those that sold on price (and many did and still do) will (hopefully) crash and burn as it should be. Along with the entire esoteric cable industry...

There is only but so much time, value and design that can go into any given piece of equipment. At which point any additional cost is pure BS. Full stop.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA