Ambisonics is back

-dsr-

Nov 6, 2017, 3:08:44 PM11/6/17
Google is announcing a toolkit for virtual reality audio. It uses
Ambisonic modeling.

https://www.blog.google/products/google-vr/resonance-audio-multi-platform-spatial-audio-scale/

from the developer intro: "Resonance Audio internally projects all sound
sources into a global high-order Ambisonic soundfield",

There are other references, including an Ambisonic recording system.

-dsr-

Peter Wieck

Nov 9, 2017, 2:23:04 PM11/9/17
It would seem to me that as soon as systems reach a certain level of complexity, they also reach the point of diminishing returns - or wildly increasing cost.

It is my general contention that listening to music, once upon a time, was for other than the musician, almost inevitably a social event. I came to that conclusion far back in time upon attending my first 'real' concert in Avery Fisher Hall during its shakedown. My 6th grade music teacher had a relationship with the acoustic engineering firm that was "tuning" the hall before its first public debut - and we were privileged to sit in while the NY Philharmonic was rehearsing for that opening.

Cutting to the chase, about any decent two-channel audio system may be configured for a fairly wide sound-stage and open "sweet spot" such that more than one person may enjoy the experience. As each level of complexity is added (digital delay, Hafler Circuit, Surround-Sound) the listening area becomes more and more restricted. If what (superficial) reading I have done on Ambisonics is at all accurate, a sphere of sound is created - which would seem to be very restrictive indeed.

There is, indeed, a great deal of ego tied up in some systems - my neighbor has his set up such that his head may not vary by more than a couple of inches in any direction (in his opinion) while listening. WOW! So, perhaps an Ambisonics system may be in his future?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA