Similar loud to Paradigm Studio/100 v2

Jason Kau

Apr 26, 2017, 6:24:07 AM4/26/17
Can anyone recommend a speaker with a similar but mellower than the Paradigm
Reference Studio/100 v2?

I like the speakers full range and neutral character since I listen to a wide
range of music but find it a bit harsh at times.

Perhaps it is too neutral?

Budget is $5K to $8K.

Thanks!

Peter Wieck

Apr 26, 2017, 9:32:39 AM4/26/17
On Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 6:24:07 AM UTC-4, Jason Kau wrote:

> Perhaps it is too neutral? NO SUCH THING!
>
> Budget is $5K to $8K.
>
> Thanks!

For that kind of mone:

a) look for a pair of vintage AR9s and have them rebuilt. Best conventional speakers I know of and I had a pair for years until we moved into a house where they could not fit. We eventually moved into a house with a much better opportunity for TOL speakers and so led me to Maggies.

http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/acoustic-research/ar9/prd_118995_1594crx.aspx

b) Magnepan 3.7 - you will be awed!

http://www.magnepan.com/model_MG_37

I would never send you to speakers I have not heard or used - albeit in the case of the Maggies, an earlier TOL equivalent. Both of the above are power-pigs, however, and have significant footprints. But both are capable of creating such a detailed sound-stage as to show the proverbial 'sweet spot' for the joke that it is.

I strongly suggest you audition any speaker extensively at your preferred location prior to purchase unless you are dead-certain of what you will get.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA