Commercial question

Tom Benton

Oct 15, 2015, 2:37:17 PM10/15/15
I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
model is worth the expense of TV advertising.

Am I missing something...again?
______________________________

Tom Benton

"I think I can. I think I can. I think I can"

The Little Engine That Could

anim8rfsk

Oct 15, 2015, 2:45:08 PM10/15/15
In article <18sv1b57v3eahl7ac...@4ax.com>,
Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:

> I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
> cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
> buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
> that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
> model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
>
> Am I missing something...again?

I don't get it either. I buy one of those big bags of disposables and
they last me a year.

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

Michael Black

Oct 15, 2015, 3:12:05 PM10/15/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015, anim8rfsk wrote:

> In article <18sv1b57v3eahl7ac...@4ax.com>,
> Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:
>
>> I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
>> cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
>> buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
>> that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
>> model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
>>
>> Am I missing something...again?
>

> I don't get it either. I buy one of those big bags of disposables and
> they last me a year.

But some of the name brand disposables can be quite expensive compared to
the cheapest generic. Especialy when Gillette adds yet another blade.
And generally they don't sell those in bulk form.

Michael

Horace LaBadie

Oct 15, 2015, 3:25:24 PM10/15/15
In article <18sv1b57v3eahl7ac...@4ax.com>,
Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:

> I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
> cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
> buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
> that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
> model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
>
> Am I missing something...again?
> ______________________________

Next thing you know, they will be selling medicine cabinets with a slot
in them so that the used blades can be safely disposed of inside the
bathroom wall.

anim8rfsk

Oct 15, 2015, 3:52:02 PM10/15/15
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Sure, but these ads are trying to get you to sign up for some blade of
the month club on auto ship because buying them in the store is
prohibitively expensive, and I maybe spend $10 or $20 a year. How much
can they possibly save me?

google google

Okay, here's the pawnbroker
https://www.onerazor.com/?mid=4827448&gclid=CjwKEAjwnf2wBRCf3sOp6oTtnjYSJ
AANOfhe6xhBylYmKV_WQZfKUwibHebxHDB8HLmoxdF9EeVFxBoCUKzw_wcB
Single blade handle, $20 plus shipping (which I bet doubles it) for the
starter kit
Okay, $13 shipping and handling. So $33 for a year. For a single
blade. That ain't saving me a thing.

Now, if I were in love with my specific titanium floating quintuple
blade anodized racing stripe soft grip vibrating heated handle, and they
were trying to sell me cheaper replacement blades, they might have
something. But they're making you switch the damned handle out.

Gillette has their own shave club
https://www.gilletteshaveclub.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-Gillette-Site
/default/Default-Start?&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=%2Brazo
r%20%2Bblade&utm_campaign=Gillette+Fusion_Search_Category+Interest.Subscr
iption%7CAlways+On_Razor+Blade_General_AD&utm_content=sLWyOA0aU%7Cdc_7906
8378307_b_%2Brazor%20%2Bblade&gclid=CjwKEAjwnf2wBRCf3sOp6oTtnjYSJAANOfhe4
EfaJMLwpCXCbhc-xw_NQMvNeD6xK0b1wNgUpuwFKxoCbILw_wcB
dear god that's an ugly url. Hang on ...
has a length of 416 characters and resulted in the following TinyURL
which has a length of 26 characters:
http://tinyurl.com/oh8dfcg
Or, give your recipients confidence with a preview TinyURL:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/oh8dfcg

that doesn't strike me as a deal either.

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

moviePig

Oct 15, 2015, 4:29:45 PM10/15/15
Tesla is selling a blade that shaves you very fast and resharpens itself
overnight. But, each day you can do only half your face...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

anim8rfsk

Oct 15, 2015, 4:38:03 PM10/15/15
In article <56200cb6$0$5945$b1db1813$19ac...@news.astraweb.com>,
lol

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

Tom Benton

Oct 15, 2015, 5:47:36 PM10/15/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 16:29:33 -0400, moviePig <pwal...@moviepig.com>
wrote:
My vote for "Post of the Year"!

trotsky

Oct 15, 2015, 9:02:56 PM10/15/15
On 10/15/15 1:37 PM, Tom Benton wrote:
> I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
> cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
> buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
> that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
> model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
>
> Am I missing something...again?

Razors are like computer printers: the hardware is cheap and the
cartridges you pay out the ass for. Haven't you ever priced a Gillette
Mach whatever in the grocery store?

FPP

Oct 15, 2015, 9:23:01 PM10/15/15
I paid over $30 bucks for a set of 8 last time.

Gillette... and that's pretty damned expensive! Individually, it's
not that much - but buying in quantity can add up quick.
--
Why are people with closed minds the first to open their mouths?

JRStern

Oct 16, 2015, 3:32:28 PM10/16/15
On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:37:04 -0400, Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:

>I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
>cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
>buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
>that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
>model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
>
>Am I missing something...again?

Yeah. Electric razors.

J.

Michael Black

Oct 16, 2015, 4:39:48 PM10/16/15
But I'm not sure I've ever done as well with an electric razor.

Of course, it's compounded by the fact that the blades do run out, and the
cost is a fair percentage of the cost of a new razor. Is that where the
slogan "sell it cheap, and make the profit on the razors" comes from?
Like all things that fade with use, you don't really notice how bad things
have become until you replace the blades, then you realize you should have
done it a long time ago.

Michael

Tom Benton

Oct 16, 2015, 8:15:34 PM10/16/15
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:32:37 -0700, JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid>
wrote:
Tried Norelco and Remington. Didn't feel I got a decent shave with
either.

Bob(but not THAT Bob)

Oct 16, 2015, 9:45:13 PM10/16/15
That always comes as a surprise the first time you tear out a bathroom
wall!

anim8rfsk

Oct 16, 2015, 9:45:40 PM10/16/15
In article <sl432bp6i9bijbt4n...@4ax.com>,
Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 12:32:37 -0700, JRStern <JRS...@foobar.invalid>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 15 Oct 2015 14:37:04 -0400, Tom Benton <oo...@hooka.gov> wrote:
> >
> >>I've seen one and maybe more TV commercials touting some service for
> >>cheap razors. They seem to imply that razors are some sort of budget
> >>buster. I'm an old guy but I really never felt that razors were all
> >>that much of an expense. I am having trouble seeing how this business
> >>model is worth the expense of TV advertising.
> >>
> >>Am I missing something...again?
> >
> >Yeah. Electric razors.
> >
> >J.
>
> Tried Norelco and Remington. Didn't feel I got a decent shave with
> either.

Plus, more expensive and don't last.

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 16, 2015, 11:25:04 PM10/16/15
Perfect for Wunderland. (Niven's Known Space series.)

--
Even Confucius complained about the younger generation's music.

Dimensional Traveler

Oct 17, 2015, 12:00:05 AM10/17/15
Electric razors do require some maintenance. They will die if you don't
do any.

anim8rfsk

Oct 17, 2015, 12:27:44 AM10/17/15
In article <5621bdc0$0$1703$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
heh

--
SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUZZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEQUUUUUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuuuu......