Re: Feeding The Wraith

Tim Bruening

Dec 3, 2007, 3:19:57 PM12/3/07

"David V. Loewe, Jr." wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 05:28:25 -0800, Tim Bruening
> <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>
> >The Wraith, dominant species of the Pegasus galaxy, have a rather
> >peculiar problem: They can only "eat" by draining the life force from
> >humans (causing them to look older and then die), and only humans as far
> >as I know. Even worse, there are too many Wraith now awake for the
> >available supply of humans. As a result, food fights have broken out
> >among the Wraith. I welcome suggestions on how the Wraith can survive
> >without depleting Pegasus' human population.
> >
> >My suggestions:
> >
> >1) The Wraith learn how to draw small amounts of energy from each of
> >many humans so that the humans don't die, so could thus be reused.
> >
> >2) Genetically engineer humans to produce enough life force to survive a
> >Wraith feeding.
> >
> >3) Genetically engineer animals to produce a human style life force.
> >
> >4) Set up "people" farms all over the galaxy.
>
> 5) Send Captain Jack Harkness in to be fed on...

Or a Goa'uld?

~consul

Dec 3, 2007, 6:57:33 PM12/3/07
>> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 05:28:25 -0800, Tim Bruening
>>> The Wraith, dominant species of the Pegasus galaxy, have a rather
>>> peculiar problem: They can only "eat" by draining the life force from
>>> humans (causing them to look older and then die), and only humans as far
>>> as I know. Even worse, there are too many Wraith now awake for the
>>> available supply of humans. As a result, food fights have broken out
>>> among the Wraith. I welcome suggestions on how the Wraith can survive
>>> without depleting Pegasus' human population.
>>> My suggestions:
>>> 1) The Wraith learn how to draw small amounts of energy from each of
>>> many humans so that the humans don't die, so could thus be reused.
>>> 2) Genetically engineer humans to produce enough life force to survive a
>>> Wraith feeding.
>>> 3) Genetically engineer animals to produce a human style life force.
>>> 4) Set up "people" farms all over the galaxy.

They did #4. Haven;t you been watching the show?!?!?
--
"... respect, all good works are not done by only good folk. For here, at the end of all things, we shall do what needs to be done."
--till next time, Jameson Stalanthas Yu -x- <<poetry.dolphins-cove.com>>

Tim Bruening

Dec 3, 2007, 8:19:22 PM12/3/07

~consul wrote:

> >> On Mon, 03 Dec 2007 05:28:25 -0800, Tim Bruening
>
> They did #4. Haven;t you been watching the show?!?!?
> --

They have set up the types of farms humans set up?

~consul

Dec 4, 2007, 3:11:55 PM12/4/07
and thus Tim Bruening inscribed ...
>> They did #4. Haven;t you been watching the show?!?!?
> They have set up the types of farms humans set up?

They are organic and free range, planet-wide range. It's more like a livestock farm than a veggie farm. They even have Rodeos' aka the Runners. :)

And I have only seen up to season 2, but by that end, they had already started on converting Wraith into humans, so they are widening their supply.

Tim Bruening

Dec 6, 2007, 2:39:34 AM12/6/07

~consul wrote:

> and thus Tim Bruening inscribed ...
> >> They did #4. Haven;t you been watching the show?!?!?
> > They have set up the types of farms humans set up?
>
> They are organic and free range, planet-wide range. It's more like a livestock farm than a veggie farm. They even have Rodeos' aka the Runners. :)
>
> And I have only seen up to season 2, but by that end, they had already started on converting Wraith into humans, so they are widening their supply.

Unfortunately, the conversion is only temporary.

Tim Bruening

Dec 11, 2007, 4:09:07 AM12/11/07

"David V. Loewe, Jr" wrote:

> On Mon, 10 Dec 2007 02:30:09 -0800, Tim Bruening
> <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
>
> >"David V. Loewe, Jr" wrote:

> >> Dude...
> >>
> >> Billy Joel plays Captain Jack in concert (or at least he did on the
> >> Face-to-Face tour).
> >
> >Lets get back to figuring out how to solve the Wraith food problem.
>
> I already GAVE you the answer...

I would like a Wraith food source other than humans.

Tim Bruening

Dec 11, 2007, 4:10:39 AM12/11/07

rja.ca...@excite.com wrote:

> Tim Bruening wrote:
> > Robert Carnegie wrote:

> > > I presume the show has a limited budget for putting animals onscreen?
> >
> > Can't the producers create CGI cows?
>
> CGI isn't cheap in money or time. I mean, a CGI planet is cheaper
> than a real planet, but... I know for _Doctor Who_ the video effects
> are very expensive and time-consuming compared even to masks and make-
> up. Maybe that's why Christopher Eccleston visited the same CGI space
> station three times...
>
> > > Or they could reduce demand by voluntarily going dormant again, or by
> > > time travel to a future where there are humans available. But maybe
> > > Wraith don't share well.
> >
> > The Wraith have time travel?
>
> Easily done with a bent Stargate. Well, for a value of "easily".
> Anyway, forward is easiest of all. Just travel at relativistic
> speed. Again for a value of "easy"...

How do you bend a Stargate? Those things look quite rigid!

rja.ca...@excite.com

Dec 11, 2007, 7:16:10 AM12/11/07
On Dec 11, 9:10 am, Tim Bruening <tsbru...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

Yeah... am I mistaken? I thought there had been gate time travel
episodes, but on reflection I think I'm recalling Ancients time travel
ships that happen to go through the gates as well. Oh, and there's
the early-ish SG-1 episode where an alternate universe Earth is
invaded and wiped out, shortly before the same attack happens in the
"real" universe, but alternate universes may naturally have different
time rates - so if there's a universe where it's still 1870 then going
to that universe from here is not really time travel. Come to
think... that switch wasn't by Stargate, either!

On the other hand... /real/ wormholes are "supposed" to be useable for
time travel! You pull one end of the wormhole around at relativistic
speed, and when you're done, the two ends of the wormhole are in
different times. With Stargates you might have to keep the connection
open for the duration of the experiment...

Joetheone

Dec 11, 2007, 12:33:59 PM12/11/07

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message
Everybody wants something.

Joetheone

Dec 11, 2007, 12:45:05 PM12/11/07

"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote in message

The Wraith have already gone from pretty decent Scary Monsters (oooo-oooo!)
to Mel Brooks' Frankensteins. (Frankenstein's Monster as Shylock.) Maybe if
they took away any reason to fight them, it they could come up with an
intersting, fresh conflict to hang the show on. But remember, these are the
same PTB that gave us the Ori.
They've already touched on the domestication of worlds. Remember the Wraith
sipping wine with the administrator of the prison planet?

David V. Loewe, Jr

Dec 11, 2007, 1:36:25 PM12/11/07
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 01:09:07 -0800, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

Captain Jack Harkness can't DIE...
--
"...you know, it seems to me you suffer from the problem of
wanting a tailored fit in an off the rack world."

Anim8rFSK

Dec 11, 2007, 3:18:10 PM12/11/07
In article <u3mtl3dn1lkf21evo...@4ax.com>,

Um

spoilers

He can, and did. We watched him.

--
Jitterbug phone works! (Third time's a charm!)
Except the first bill is $100 high. Heavy sigh.

David V. Loewe, Jr

Dec 11, 2007, 4:55:25 PM12/11/07
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 13:18:10 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

Then why is he still kicking around? Nothing that has killed him
since Rose brought him back to life has been permanent and there's no
assurance that he is The Face Of Boe.
--
"I think between us, Bill Clinton and I have settled any lingering myths
about the brilliance of Rhodes scholars."

Jason Maxwell

Dec 11, 2007, 7:55:36 PM12/11/07
<rja.ca...@excite.com> wrote in message
The episodes 1960 and 2010. In the first SG-1 is accidentally sent back to
1960 due to a solar flare when they were gating home, and with some help
from a young Hammond use another flare to get back.

In 2010 we see a possible future for Earth where they made an alliance with
an alien race only to find out that the alien's long term plan is to
depopulate Earth by making almost every woman sterile. Using the
capabilities of the Stargate they found in the prior episode the future SG-1
sends a message back to "our" time with a simple "Don't visit this gate
address ever".

In a later episode SG-1 unknowingly makes contact with that alien race on
another planet, and finds out that its the same race they were warned about,
and also finds out the race either drives every planet it can back to a
pre-industrialized society that are essentially serfs for them, or wipes
them out through biological weapons.

Jason

rja.ca...@excite.com

Dec 11, 2007, 9:07:33 PM12/11/07

He assured us that he is. Apparently he doesn't know that in 5
billion years' time the Face of Boe is a famous enigma - if you see
what I mean.

But it could just be a coincidence - Rose made lots of those when she
became deus ex time-machina.

Anim8rFSK

Dec 12, 2007, 12:45:53 AM12/12/07
In article <2kG7j.10963$1C4....@newsfe10.phx>,
"Jason Maxwell" <jaso...@cox.net> wrote:

1960? Wasn't it 1969? They were going to Woodstock, and it was post
Star Trek, except nobody but McGuyver knew who James T. Kirk was.

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Dec 12, 2007, 2:05:09 AM12/12/07
rja.ca...@excite.com did eloquently scribble:

It WOULD explain how the face of Bo KNEW the doctor "Was not alone".
After all, face of bo? Year 5 billion or so. Professor Yana? Year 600
billion or so. Saxon? 2007ish.

Oh, and please... don't put spaces in the newsgroup line. It stops my
newsreader from posting, because they shouldn't be there.
| spi...@freenet.co.uk | |

Jason Maxwell

Dec 12, 2007, 9:32:31 AM12/12/07
"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message
You're right., my bad. Though I don't remember the Kirk/Star Trek
reference.

Jason

Anim8rFSK

Dec 12, 2007, 6:05:31 PM12/12/07
In article <UhS7j.14944$Qf1....@newsfe07.phx>,
"Jason Maxwell" <jaso...@cox.net> wrote:

IIRC, the guy that caught them asked McGuyer for his name and he replied
"Captain James T. Kirk" and nobody got it. Something like that.

Which would have worked in 1960. But in 1969?

spi...@freenet.co.uk

Dec 12, 2007, 6:15:13 PM12/12/07
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> did eloquently scribble:

> IIRC, the guy that caught them asked McGuyer for his name and he replied
> "Captain James T. Kirk" and nobody got it. Something like that.

> Which would have worked in 1960. But in 1969?

Nonono...
"Name?"
"Captain James T Kirk of the starship enterprise"
was his actual response.

At that point I imagine they just decided to humour him.
:)

Michael Bowker

Dec 12, 2007, 6:22:27 PM12/12/07

I imagine Kirk didn't become widely recognizable until the 70's when
Star Trek went into rerun. Most people didn't catch it in the first
run. I was in Europe at that time and Armed Forces TV didn't carry Star
Trek. So it's quite possible that an Air Force officer could have
missed the reference (or even found it familiar but not identifiable,
which is the reaction I thought he had).

Eva

Dec 12, 2007, 6:47:35 PM12/12/07
<spi...@freenet.co.uk> wrote in message

> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> did eloquently scribble:
>> IIRC, the guy that caught them asked McGuyer for his name and he replied
>> "Captain James T. Kirk" and nobody got it. Something like that.
>
>> Which would have worked in 1960. But in 1969?
>
> Nonono...
> "Name?"
> "Captain James T Kirk of the starship enterprise"
> was his actual response.
>
> At that point I imagine they just decided to humour him.
> :)

At the time, the show was not all that well-known. It is entirely possible
that the guy had never watched it and, therefore, had never heard of James T
Kirk et al.

Eva
--
Join the Stargate SG-1 SETI@home Team
http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=30516

"Ceremonies have killed religions for they provide the masked comforts to
delusionals..."

Eva

Dec 12, 2007, 6:49:12 PM12/12/07
"Michael Bowker" <mi...@blueneptune.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> I imagine Kirk didn't become widely recognizable until the 70's when Star
> Trek went into rerun. Most people didn't catch it in the first run. I
> was in Europe at that time and Armed Forces TV didn't carry Star Trek. So
> it's quite possible that an Air Force officer could have missed the
> reference (or even found it familiar but not identifiable, which is the
> reaction I thought he had).

Oops. Great minds etc... :-)

rja.ca...@excite.com

Dec 12, 2007, 9:31:21 PM12/12/07

Hmm. I seem to recall being suspicious before now of adapter-to-book
James Blish claiming, I think, to have received or seen a letter
describing an incident in Vietnam where an embattled American unit
with compromised radios got out of danger by a "corbomite maneuver" -
they allowed themselves to be overheard calling down a phaser strike
from Enterprise on their coordinates. Charlie scattered. Or perhaps
the /existence/ of the letter is fact... or I misremember just what he
said.

"Ronald Reagan? The /actor/?" (_Star Trek IV_)

Tim Bruening

Dec 13, 2007, 4:19:00 AM12/13/07

Anim8rFSK wrote:

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

> He can, and did. We watched him.

But he lived for over 5 billion years!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tim Bruening

Dec 13, 2007, 4:20:32 AM12/13/07

At the very end of the lastest season, Jack said that he was known as the Face of
Boe!

David V. Loewe, Jr

Dec 13, 2007, 6:45:46 PM12/13/07
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 01:20:32 -0800, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

They have established plausibility, not certainty.
--
"Go ahead and hate your neighbor, go ahead and cheat a friend
Do it in the name of heaven and you can justify it in the end

Tim Bruening

Jan 26, 2008, 3:25:36 AM1/26/08

Karl Johanson

Jan 26, 2008, 10:58:12 PM1/26/08
"Tim Bruening" <tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote

> I would like a Wraith food source other than humans.

Spork?

Karl Johanson

David V. Loewe, Jr

Jan 27, 2008, 11:44:55 AM1/27/08
On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 00:25:36 -0800, Tim Bruening
<tsbr...@pop.dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:

It's not like Captain Jack Harkness is going to die permanently from
the experience...
--
"Quantum particles: the dreams that stuff is made of."
- David Moser