[OT] Black Exec: “White People Can Be Diverse” - Apple Inc: “You’re Fired”

Ed Stasiak

Nov 22, 2017, 12:36:09 AM11/22/17
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/nov/18/apple-exec-stepping-down-diversity-controversy/
By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times
Saturday, November 18, 2017

Apple has announced the resignation of its vice president of diversity and inclusion
just one month after she apologized for saying white people can be diverse.

Denise Young Smith, who is black, angered activists during this year’s One Young
World Summit in Bogota when she defended the diverse “life experience” that Apple’s
white employees bring to the table. The executive apologized within days, but the
company now says she will head to Cornell Tech at the end of the year.

“I focus on everyone,” Ms. Smith, who has 20 years of experience in the company
 said during the Oct. 4-7 conference. “Diversity is the human experience. I get a little
bit frustrated when diversity or the term diversity is tagged to the people of color or
the women or the LGBT or whatever because that means they’re carrying that around
… because that means that we are carrying that around on our foreheads. […] There
can be 12 white blue-eyed blond men in a room and they are going to be diverse too
because they’re going to bring a different life experience and life perspective to the
conversation.”

An Apple source told Tech Crunch on Thursday that Ms. Smith’s departure was
discussed with CEO Tim Cook roughly one year ago, despite the announcement
after six months on the job.

Christie Smith, who spent 17 years as a principal at Deloitte, will take over the role
and report to Apple VP for People Deirdre O’Brien, the website reported.

“We deeply believe that diversity drives innovation,” an Apple spokesperson said
in a statement to TechCrunch. “We’re thrilled to welcome an accomplished leader
like Christie Smith to help us continue the progress we’ve made toward a more
diverse workplace.”

Ed Stasiak

Nov 22, 2017, 11:11:39 AM11/22/17

anim8rfsk

Nov 22, 2017, 11:30:32 AM11/22/17
In article <eac26a8b-7ed1-469b...@googlegroups.com>,
Ed Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

> https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/nov/18/apple-exec-stepping-down-dive
It's enough to make one buy a SURFACE.

Almost.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 22, 2017, 11:45:38 AM11/22/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Ed Stasiak <esta...@att.net> wrote:

>>https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/nov/18/apple-exec-stepping-down-diversity-controversy/
>>By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times
>>Saturday, November 18, 2017

>>Apple has announced the resignation of its vice president of diversity and inclusion
>>just one month after she apologized for saying white people can be diverse.

>>. . .

>It's enough to make one buy a SURFACE.

>Almost.

If Lake Bell were to personally demonstrate its features, go for it.

anim, your newsreader fucked up hugely. Ed had used encoded word syntax,
which is required on Subject. Ed insists on using non-ASCII open and
close double quotes and non-ASCII apostrophe just to be irritating.

Your client turned the non-ASCII characters in the encoded encoded words
into non-ASCII characters, something that MUST NOT happen on Subject. Your
News server should have rejected the article, but it didn't.

I just turned everything back into plain old ASCII to force my News
server to accept the followup.

moviePig

Nov 22, 2017, 12:39:41 PM11/22/17
On 11/22/2017 11:11 AM, Ed Stasiak wrote:
> https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/nov/18/apple-exec-stepping-down-diversity-controversy/
> By Douglas Ernst - The Washington Times
> Saturday, November 18, 2017
>
> Apple has announced the resignation of its vice president of diversity and inclusion
> just one month after she apologized for saying white people can be diverse.
Moral: never apologize...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

anim8rfsk

Nov 22, 2017, 12:43:33 PM11/22/17
In article <ov49jg$7pc$1...@dont-email.me>,
I have a checkbox "use article's character set for reply" - maybe I
should turn that off?

Also MTNewsWatcher defaults to Western (ISO Roman 1). I could switch
that to Western (ASCII)?

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 22, 2017, 1:32:15 PM11/22/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>It's enough to make one buy a SURFACE.

>>>Almost.

>>If Lake Bell were to personally demonstrate its features, go for it.

>>anim, your newsreader fucked up hugely. Ed had used encoded word syntax,
>>which is required on Subject. Ed insists on using non-ASCII open and
>>close double quotes and non-ASCII apostrophe just to be irritating.

>>Your client turned the non-ASCII characters in the encoded encoded words
>>into non-ASCII characters, something that MUST NOT happen on Subject. Your
>>News server should have rejected the article, but it didn't.

>>I just turned everything back into plain old ASCII to force my News
>>server to accept the followup.

>I have a checkbox "use article's character set for reply" - maybe I
>should turn that off?

That should affect the character set used in the article body, not
headers. Headers must always be ASCII, which is why encoded-word was
developed for the Subject and From. One of the MIME headers declares
character set used in the article body, never the headers.

>Also MTNewsWatcher defaults to Western (ISO Roman 1). I could switch
>that to Western (ASCII)?

It can't hurt. Americans writing for Americans almost never have a need
to use other than ASCII in Usenet and email. If I'm using a foreign
word, I typically substitute ASCII. I write "facade" without the cedilla
under the c, for instance.

But none of that should affect headers. I dunno if your newsreader is
orphaned, but it should never produce an article in bad syntax.

anim8rfsk

Nov 22, 2017, 3:46:35 PM11/22/17
In article <ov4fr8$loe$1...@dont-email.me>,
When that reply finally showed up here, it didn't have a subject at all!

Rhino

Nov 22, 2017, 4:02:58 PM11/22/17
I don't have any Apple computers or phones but given this attitude on
the company's part, I will definitely not be getting anything made by
Apple in future unless I hear about a major attitude change. Kudos to
Denise Smith for not kowtowing to Apple's racist policies.

--
Rhino

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 22, 2017, 4:20:06 PM11/22/17
For what its worth, using Thunderbird I haven't seen anything odd in any
of the posts in this thread so far.

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Nov 22, 2017, 5:45:50 PM11/22/17
In article <ov4pm1$7c9$1...@dont-email.me>,
So neither Seamus nor Ian is posting?

FPP

Nov 22, 2017, 6:12:41 PM11/22/17
Good! You don't deserve to have anything nice.

--
"We have to accept that the winner of this election was a Washington
outsider who no one thought had a shot at running this country: Vladimir

A Friend

Nov 22, 2017, 6:41:47 PM11/22/17
Got my iPhone X last week. Niiiiiice.

FPP

Nov 22, 2017, 7:08:21 PM11/22/17
Not quite ready to blow that kind of cash... and it's a little big for
my pocket. I'll plod along with my SE - which is only about a year and
a half old, anyway.

Best phone I've ever owned.

One of my sons has the 7Plus, and the other the X... and they almost
always upgrade within the same year the phones come out.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 22, 2017, 8:19:19 PM11/22/17
You wouldn't. T-bird is capable of displaying the characters used on the
header in question. Whether it's displayable for you is irrelevant to
the fact that the syntax was bad and no decent newsreader should produce
bad syntax.

Rhino

Nov 22, 2017, 9:17:59 PM11/22/17
I deplore Apple's racism and call it out so I don't deserve to own nice
things? Wow, you really are warped.

--
Rhino

FPP

Nov 22, 2017, 9:24:08 PM11/22/17
No, no... you just don't deserve to have nice things. It has nothing to
do with Apple or racism.

Go Android... and Windows 10. Or 11, or whatever they're calling it
these days.
What it is, is wherever MacOS was 3 years ago...

Some clown at Apple uses a poor choice of words, and all of a sudden
Apple is racist.
Give me a break! And it's YOU guys who keep bleating on about SJW's!

You hop onto every cause at the drop of a hat.

FPP

Nov 22, 2017, 9:59:04 PM11/22/17
So, here is a woman who said exactly what you conservative clowns have
been complaining that liberals never say, and NOW you have a problem
with that, too.

> Apple has announced the resignation of its vice president of diversity and inclusion
> just one month after she apologized for saying white people can be diverse.

Pick a fucking side, will 'ya!

Apple's racism? Care to elaborate as to what Apple has done that's
racist? I mean, besides saying white people can be diverse, too...

Jesus, what DO you fucking guys want? Besides to complain about every
single hair that gets caught across your ass, I mean?

Rhino

Nov 22, 2017, 10:20:37 PM11/22/17
You're not making any sense at all. They fired an employee, who is black
herself, for not being sufficiently enthusiastic about their diversity
drive. What the hell is correct or decent about that?

--
Rhino

Rhino

Nov 22, 2017, 10:21:33 PM11/22/17
No, you fuckwit, I have a problem with her being fired for saying that!

>> Apple has announced the resignation of its vice president of diversity
>> and inclusion
>> just one month after she apologized for saying white people can be
>> diverse.
>
> Pick a fucking side, will 'ya!
>
> Apple's racism?  Care to elaborate as to what Apple has done that's
> racist?  I mean, besides saying white people can be diverse, too...
>
> Jesus, what DO you fucking guys want?  Besides to complain about every
> single hair that gets caught across your ass, I mean?

--
Rhino

Ed Stasiak

Nov 22, 2017, 10:27:57 PM11/22/17
> FPP
> > Rhino
> >
> > I deplore Apple's racism and call it out so I don't deserve to own nice
> > things? Wow, you really are warped.
>
> So, here is a woman who said exactly what you conservative clowns have
> been complaining that liberals never say, and NOW you have a problem
> with that, too.

Everybody should have a problem with it, as it proves the contention that
“diversity” is simply a code word for anti-White.

http://www.libertyfrontpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/22.jpg

moviePig

Nov 22, 2017, 10:36:50 PM11/22/17
Well, I think it doesn't prove that contention so much as the contention
that making any insightful, nuanced statement is always dangerous.

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 22, 2017, 11:36:58 PM11/22/17
Not quite. They fired her because she said white males are as valuable
as women and non-whites.

BTR1701

Nov 23, 2017, 2:49:20 AM11/23/17
Yeah, 'cause that's so much less racist.

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 4:14:45 AM11/23/17
Somebody care to post the Apple press release where they say they fired her?
Or an official statement from the ex-employee where she states she was
fired?

Because anything else is just guesswork.

--
"Donald Trump tweeted earlier today, 'It is so nice that the shackles
have been taken off me...' The only thing that ever shackled you was the

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 4:14:45 AM11/23/17
What are you talking about? Where did the quoted article say anybody
was fired?

What rag did you read that said she was fired? All the articles I saw
say that it wasn't working out, so the relationship ended, like a lot of
work situations do.

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 4:14:46 AM11/23/17
Somebody care to post the Apple press release where they say they fired her?
Or an official statement from the ex-employee where she states she was
fired?

No? Nothing? Just wild allegations?

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 4:14:46 AM11/23/17
WHO SAID SHE WAS FIRED?

Simple question, isn't it? Do you have an equally simple answer?
I expect that would be your forte.

trotsky

Nov 23, 2017, 6:05:51 AM11/23/17
For the money they cost they should make espressos too.

trotsky

Nov 23, 2017, 6:08:53 AM11/23/17
Wait, you're admitting things can be racist now?

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 7:18:55 AM11/23/17
Yeah, they're NOT cheap. But, then again... they're not CHEAP.

If you don't upgrade every year, they're no worse than any other
phone... and you get what you pay for.

No viri. No glitches. No need to troubleshoot. I couldn't be happier.

I really want a new Mac... but my old 2009 Mac Pro tower is still plenty
fast, and has never given me a day's trouble (outside of a bad RAM
stick) in 9 years.

And I'm not going easy on it. It hasn't been off more than a few hours
since I bought it.
If you figure the cost over a decade, it was actually pretty cheap.

trotsky

Nov 23, 2017, 9:47:42 AM11/23/17
On 11/23/17 6:18 AM, FPP wrote:
> On 11/23/17 6:05 AM, trotsky wrote:

>>> Not quite ready to blow that kind of cash... and it's a little big
>>> for my pocket.  I'll plod along with my SE - which is only about a
>>> year and a half old, anyway.
>>>
>>> Best phone I've ever owned.
>
>> For the money they cost they should make espressos too.
>
> Yeah, they're NOT cheap.  But, then again... they're not CHEAP.
>
> If you don't upgrade every year, they're no worse than any other
> phone... and you get what you pay for.
>
> No viri.  No glitches.  No need to troubleshoot.  I couldn't be happier.
>
> I really want a new Mac... but my old 2009 Mac Pro tower is still plenty
> fast, and has never given me a day's trouble (outside of a bad RAM
> stick) in 9 years.

I have an '09 Mac Pro too. Who'd have thunk. My thing with iPhones is
that they're expensive and they're made by children in China. I'm
surprised Roy Moore hasn't toured the plant. I actually like my Windows
phone the best, but since Microsoft are idiots they're pulling the plug
on the whole OS starting in January. I'm probably go back to Android.

> And I'm not going easy on it.  It hasn't been off more than a few hours
> since I bought it.
> If you figure the cost over a decade, it was actually pretty cheap.

The Mac Pro is built like a battleship. I just hacked High Sierra onto
mine, but it's giving me a couple of issues. What OS do you use?

bruce2...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2017, 12:36:05 PM11/23/17
If there's an appeal, we'll see what the final tally is.

FPP

Nov 23, 2017, 4:10:49 PM11/23/17
El Capitan 10.11.6, with 6 internal drives, including one 128GB SSD for
the boot drive. I run multiple OS's, including Snow Leopard, Lion, Mt.
Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite.

But I need to disable the new SIP, just so I can run FinderPop - which I
find I can't live without.

I did manage to put Sierra on it, way back when it first came out... but
I didn't see any major advantage to it at the time. (In fact, one of my
15 partitions still has the Sierra install in it.
Is it worth the hassle?)

I hear you can't just do the updates, and that you have to use the
patcher to install every upgrade.

What I REALLY need is to be able to run one program that runs in the old
OS9 "Classic" environment. I hear that SheepShaver still works, up to
El Cap, anyway.

I keep an old G3 iBook around just so that I can run Fontographer in
"classic" mode, when I need to modify a font.

RichA

Nov 23, 2017, 9:11:30 PM11/23/17
Whites: Rich, middle class, lower-middle class, poor, guttersnipes.
Blacks: Mostly lower-middle and poor.
Whites: Red hair, black hair, blond hair, brown hair. Curly, straight, wavy.
Blacks: Black hair, kinked.
Whites: Blue eyes, green eyes, brown eyes, hazel eyes, grey eyes.
Blacks: Brown eyes.

Who lacks diversity?

trotsky

Nov 24, 2017, 6:22:05 AM11/24/17
High Sierra is significantly better, and is my favorite OS to date. I
have two problems: I think I was able to do an update once, and I can't
figure out how I got it to work. I also can't get the NVIDIA driver to
work either. It is technically possible to change the firmware so it
comes off as a 5,1 Mac Pro but that might be too much of a brain drain
for me to do. Why do you feel the need to run that many OS's?

RichA

Nov 24, 2017, 6:40:53 AM11/24/17
I had a friend graduated as a civil engineer. There were few jobs available to him when he graduated so he went into computer programming. He specialized in re-writing programs that were poorly-written or not operating correctly. His one observation about Apple users was that they were the stupidest, most technically-illiterate people there were. Of course, this was a few years ago when using computers actually sometimes meant understanding them.

trotsky

Nov 24, 2017, 7:14:05 AM11/24/17
Bullshit.

A Friend

Nov 24, 2017, 7:49:08 AM11/24/17
In article <ov53hi$bgp$1...@dont-email.me>, FPP <fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 11/22/17 6:41 PM, A Friend wrote:

> > Got my iPhone X last week. Niiiiiice.
>
> Not quite ready to blow that kind of cash...

We really didn't. We're on this plan where we pay a little extra per
month for annual upgrades. We got two 256 GBs, and I didn't pay
anything last week except the sales tax.

FPP

Nov 24, 2017, 7:57:42 AM11/24/17
The short answer is work. Opening old customer files sometimes means
opening a file in an older version of an app. If a customer file was
created in Illustrator 10, I need an OS that runs that version.

Some specific tasks require a piece of software that we only have an
older system, or a plug-in that only works with a specific system.

Apple got rid of the ability to download a playing video file directly
in Safari when they got rid of the "Activity" Window that existed in
versions of Safari prior to Mountain Lion.

That type of thing... I even have 2 flavors of Windows that I can boot
into.

It would be much easier if I could make my 3,1 Pro identify as 5,1, but
I'm not going to go crazy. I see an iMac in my near future. The new
Pros are ridiculously expensive, and lack the expandability of the old
towers.

FPP

Nov 24, 2017, 8:15:51 AM11/24/17
Well, to date, they've only released one phone in the size I want, and
that's the SE. It's the same size as the old 5S, but with updated
components.

Until they release another phone with a 4 inch screen, I have nothing I
want to upgrade to.
If I wanted a phone any bigger than that, I'd just carry my iPad mini in
my pocket...

A Friend

Nov 24, 2017, 10:26:04 AM11/24/17
In article <ov9503$2gl$1...@dont-email.me>, FPP <fred...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Apple got rid of the ability to download a playing video file directly
> in Safari when they got rid of the "Activity" Window that existed in
> versions of Safari prior to Mountain Lion.

The only thing I have that works anymore is MacX YouTube Downloader.
You give it the URL of the video and it downloads it for you. Not
*too* cumbersome, but not nearly as elegant as just right-clicking on
the damn video and having it automagically download.

trotsky

Nov 24, 2017, 4:14:30 PM11/24/17
Their performance figures are through the roof, though.

---

FPP

Nov 24, 2017, 5:34:28 PM11/24/17
Unfortunately, so is their price tag. I work in Electronic Pre-Press,
and even WE won't buy one. The latest iMac works fine for 99% of the
things we do for our presses.

If you're doing some video editing, I can see the advantage, or perhaps
music mastering... but for day to day graphics, they're overkill and
just not needed.

3 iMacs, or 1 Pro? $1300 for an iMac, with built in monitor, or $3000
for a Pro, and you need to buy your own monitor?

I couldn't get that approved, unless I can show the cost/benefit
analysis is worth it. And I can't.

trotsky

Nov 25, 2017, 5:33:43 AM11/25/17
Everything from Apple is too expensive. And made in China. That's why
they're the most cash rich company in the world. I would expect them to
offer their own credit cards soon like State Farm did.

FPP

Nov 25, 2017, 6:21:29 AM11/25/17
You get what you pay for. I wouldn't have a Windows PC at home if you
gave it to me, and paid me weekly to use it.

My employer already does that, and it's not worth it.

bruce2...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2017, 9:21:31 AM11/25/17
On 11/25/17 5:33 AM, trotsky wrote:
They make a few of them elsewhere:

Your iPhone: Made in China, Korea, Texas, Kentucky, and … Inner Mongolia?
VentureBeat - July 31, 2013
-- https://venturebeat.com/2013/07/31/iphone-manufacturing-graphic/

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 25, 2017, 3:28:59 PM11/25/17
I use a browser add on to Firefox called Download YouTube as MP4, which
adds a button to the video's page on YouTube. It usually gives me a
choice of two levels of quality. I just glanced at the add on, which was
a GitHub project that seems to have been withdrawn, so I don't know if
it'll be converted into the required add on format that Firefox 57
requires. I guess I'll have to find something else.

FPP

Nov 25, 2017, 3:29:00 PM11/25/17
Movie Sherlock used to work pretty well, but Ii haven't used it much lately.
I just keep the link, boot into Lion, and open the Activity window.

Pain in the ass, but it limits me to things I *really* want to download.

BTR1701

Nov 25, 2017, 5:11:11 PM11/25/17
In article <ov9img$4ot$2...@dont-email.me>,
https://keepvid.com/

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 26, 2017, 11:19:32 AM11/26/17
I'll take a look; thanks.

FPP

Nov 28, 2017, 7:44:02 PM11/28/17
Have you set it up for a root password yet? If not, you might want to...

> There's a flaw in Apple's newest computer operating system that allows someone to gain administrative capabilities without a password.
>
> The flaw, discovered by developer Lemi Orhan Ergan and his colleagues, affects macOS High Sierra. To exploit the vulnerability, someone with access to the computer can type "root" and no password in the Users & Groups section of System Preferences.
>
> This gives root access to the computer -- meaning a person could operate the device as if they were an administrator and could download malicious software or otherwise compromise the computer.
>
> "We are working on a software update to address this issue. In the meantime, setting a root password prevents unauthorized access to your Mac," an Apple (AAPL, Tech30) spokesperson said in a statement. You can follow the instructions here.
>
> "If a Root User is already enabled, to ensure a blank password is not set, please follow the instructions from the 'Change the root password' section," Apple said.
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/28/technology/macos-high-sierra-bug/index.html

I've always enabled root access, just in case I need to get in.