Today's premieres and other notes (Tuesday, Feb. 7)

Robin Miller

Feb 7, 2017, 1:00:52 PM2/7/17

Michael Bolton’s Big Sexy Valentine’s Day Special (comedy special)
(3:01 am, Netflix)

Michael Bolton-starring comedy special also features Fred Armisen, Maya
Rudolph, Andy Samberg, Eric Andre, Sarah Silverman, Michael Sheen, and more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bolton's_Big_Sexy_Valentine's_Day_Special

http://www.avclub.com/review/silly-demolishes-sexy-michael-boltons-big-sexy-val-249779

Web of Lies (season 4) (9 pm, Investigation Discovery)

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/showatch/web-of-lies/listings/

AMERICAN EXPERIENCE: Oklahoma City (documentary) (9-11 pm, PBS)

Chronicles the rise of the extremist militia movement, from Ruby Ridge
to Waco, that led to the deadliest act of domestic terrorism in American
history - the 1995 bombing by Timothy McVeigh that killed 168 people in
Oklahoma City.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/americanexperience/films/oklahoma-city/

Imposters [new] (10 pm, Bravo)

The series follows Maddie (Inbar Lavi, "Gang Related"), a persona
shifting con-artist who is as beautiful as she is dangerous, leaving her
unwitting victims tormented when they realize they have been used and
robbed of everything - including their hearts. But things get
complicated when her former targets, Ezra (Rob Heaps, "Frankenstein and
the Vampyre: A Dark and Stormy Night"), Richard (Parker Young,
"Suburgatory") and Jules (Marianne Rendón) team up to track her down.
While pursuing her newest mark, Maddie meets a potential love interest,
Patrick (Stephen Bishop, "Being Mary Jane"), which threatens to derail
her assignment, much to the chagrin of her mysterious boss, The Doctor.
Meanwhile, her dejected past lovers manage to take control of their new
realities, not realizing that in their quest to confront her, they'll
have to face their own truths and find new versions of themselves along
the way.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5212822/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imposters_(TV_series)

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/imposters

http://www.bravotv.com/imposters

Tosh.0 (season 9) (10 pm, Comedy Central)

Detroiters [new] (10:30 pm, Comedy Central)

Sam Richardson (best known as Veep's Richard Splett) and SNL writer Tim
Robinson are the co-creators and stars of this series about a pair of
Detroit ad men who create commercials for local stores. Jason Sudeikis
also serves as producer and will appear in multiple episodes.
Keegan-Michael Key and Cecily Strong are among the guests.

http://www.metacritic.com/tv/detroiters [Metacritic score 75]

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Feb 7, 2017, 3:03:59 PM2/7/17
In article <efugae...@mid.individual.net>,
Another beautiful miniature cop to make BTR crazy
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2819413/mediaviewer/rm3605309184

> Tosh.0 (season 9) (10 pm, Comedy Central)
>

> Detroiters [new] (10:30 pm, Comedy Central)
>
> Sam Richardson (best known as Veep's Richard Splett) and SNL writer Tim
> Robinson are the co-creators and stars of this series about a pair of
> Detroit ad men who create commercials for local stores. Jason Sudeikis
> also serves as producer and will appear in multiple episodes.
> Keegan-Michael Key and Cecily Strong are among the guests.

You know what would make this better is if only women's housing was
cheap and they had to dress in drag to get a room!

> http://www.metacritic.com/tv/detroiters [Metacritic score 75]

So nuttin?> --Robin

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

Feb 7, 2017, 4:44:38 PM2/7/17
On 2017-02-07 20:03:53 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> In article <efugae...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> Imposters [new] (10 pm, Bravo)
>>
>> The series follows Maddie (Inbar Lavi, "Gang Related"), a persona
>> shifting con-artist who is as beautiful as she is dangerous, leaving her
>> unwitting victims tormented when they realize they have been used and
>> robbed of everything - including their hearts. But things get
>> complicated when her former targets, Ezra (Rob Heaps, "Frankenstein and
>> the Vampyre: A Dark and Stormy Night"), Richard (Parker Young,
>> "Suburgatory") and Jules (Marianne Rendón) team up to track her down.
>> While pursuing her newest mark, Maddie meets a potential love interest,
>> Patrick (Stephen Bishop, "Being Mary Jane"), which threatens to derail
>> her assignment, much to the chagrin of her mysterious boss, The Doctor.
>> Meanwhile, her dejected past lovers manage to take control of their new
>> realities, not realizing that in their quest to confront her, they'll
>> have to face their own truths and find new versions of themselves along
>> the way.
>
> Another beautiful miniature cop to make BTR crazy
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2819413/mediaviewer/rm3605309184

Inbar Lavi is pretty gorgeous (she was also on "The Last Ship").

She may be enough to get me a sample a show on Bravo(!!!), a show whose
premise I don't even like very much, simply because she's headlining...

--
"His compassion killed him." - Dr. Sabine Lommers, in

BTR1701

Feb 7, 2017, 4:57:57 PM2/7/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Another beautiful miniature cop to make BTR crazy
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2819413/mediaviewer/rm3605309184

Oh, yes. I've had my eye on her for a while. It was even more ridiculous
when she was a miniature IDF special operator on LAST SHIP. Cute as a
button, though.

Ubiquitous

Feb 7, 2017, 6:09:43 PM2/7/17
In article <efugae...@mid.individual.net>, robin....@invalid.invalid wrote:

>Michael Bolton's Big Sexy Valentine's Day Special (comedy special)
> (3:01 am, Netflix)
>
>Michael Bolton-starring comedy special also features Fred Armisen, Maya
>Rudolph, Andy Samberg, Eric Andre, Sarah Silverman, Michael Sheen, and more.

Well, I understand why Michael Bolton makes it a comedy, but not the others.

--
The Berkeley riot fires caused groundhog Punxsutawney Phil to see
his own shadow, thus predicting another 6 weeks of stupidity.

anim8rfsk

Feb 7, 2017, 6:49:35 PM2/7/17
In article <o7df0o$ffd$1...@dont-email.me>,
I may not even have Cox by then. It's currently scheduled to be turned
off the 28th.

Robin Miller

Feb 7, 2017, 8:07:12 PM2/7/17
What? Are you becoming a cord cutter?

--Robin

Obveeus

Feb 7, 2017, 8:15:31 PM2/7/17

On 2/7/2017 8:07 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
> anim8rfsk wrote:
>> In article <o7df0o$ffd$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>> Inbar Lavi is pretty gorgeous (she was also on "The Last Ship").
>>>
>>> She may be enough to get me a sample a show on Bravo(!!!), a show whose
>>> premise I don't even like very much, simply because she's headlining...
>>
>> I may not even have Cox by then. It's currently scheduled to be turned
>> off the 28th.

> What? Are you becoming a cord cutter?

He's having his Cox cut off. Around here, that makes him a eunuch.

suzeeq

Feb 7, 2017, 8:27:54 PM2/7/17
Obveeus wrote:

> On 2/7/2017 8:07 PM, Robin Miller wrote:
>> anim8rfsk wrote:

>>> I may not even have Cox by then. It's currently scheduled to be turned
>>> off the 28th.
>
>> What? Are you becoming a cord cutter?
>
> He's having his Cox cut off. Around here, that makes him a eunuch.

Especially if he only has one in the first place...

anim8rfsk

Feb 7, 2017, 9:29:31 PM2/7/17
In article <efv99s...@mid.individual.net>,
No; well, at least not of my own volition. Their website, which is
barely in English, ensued wackiness on me. A friend was thinking about
switching and was asking about the service. We went on the website to
look at packages, which began aggressively trying to get me to switch to
the package I already have for the price I'm paying now. We found a
place where you could put in an address and find out if Cox was
available there. Put in that address and BLAMMO the next page had set
me up for my move, with a 'conformation' number (sic) and the date my
service here will be turned off, and NO way to stop it except to wait
for their moving expert to call me. Oh, and, insult to injury, it
didn't even tell me what services were available at the new address.

Robin Miller

Feb 7, 2017, 11:36:10 PM2/7/17
That is wild.

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Feb 7, 2017, 11:46:52 PM2/7/17
In article <efvlhn...@mid.individual.net>,
:)

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 8, 2017, 12:21:32 AM2/8/17
Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>anim8rfsk wrote:
>>Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>>>What? Are you becoming a cord cutter?

>>No; well, at least not of my own volition. Their website, which is
>>barely in English, ensued wackiness on me. A friend was thinking about
>>switching and was asking about the service. We went on the website to
>>look at packages, which began aggressively trying to get me to switch to
>>the package I already have for the price I'm paying now. We found a
>>place where you could put in an address and find out if Cox was
>>available there. Put in that address and BLAMMO the next page had set
>>me up for my move, with a 'conformation' number (sic) and the date my
>>service here will be turned off, and NO way to stop it except to wait
>>for their moving expert to call me. Oh, and, insult to injury, it
>>didn't even tell me what services were available at the new address.

>That is wild.

That is typical customer service application. If I had a question of
the phone company, let's say, they wouldn't answer anything until
they'd created an order; their system wouldn't let them look anything up.
This was years ago.

Really, it's all designed to be as aggravating as possible.

Dimensional Traveler

Feb 8, 2017, 1:26:22 AM2/8/17
On 2/7/2017 6:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> In article <efv99s...@mid.individual.net>,
> Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk wrote:

Your first mistake was letting your "friend" anywhere near your
computer. Your second mistake was letting them go to the Comcast
website,....

:P

--
Running the rec.arts.TV Channels Watched Survey.
Winter 2016 survey began Dec 01 and will end Feb 28

anim8rfsk

Feb 8, 2017, 2:38:48 AM2/8/17
In article <o7edj0$nj5$4...@dont-email.me>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 2/7/2017 6:29 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > In article <efv99s...@mid.individual.net>,
> > Robin Miller <robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

He was on the phone, and nobody involved has Comcast.

Ubiquitous

Feb 8, 2017, 4:42:50 AM2/8/17
Crap! I forgot to watch the Sanders VS Cruz debate.

--
A whistleblower says the only global warming occurring in the last 12 years
was caused by the Obama administration cooking the (data) books.

Dimensional Traveler

Feb 8, 2017, 10:57:41 AM2/8/17
Cox then. Its not like there's all THAT much difference between the two.

anim8rfsk

Feb 8, 2017, 11:31:51 AM2/8/17
In article <o7ff26$7ka$1...@dont-email.me>,
I *did* find out that there's a new intermediate speed that's faster
than mine without being FIOS and it's of course cheaper for the first 12
months. I have to look into that ...

Dimensional Traveler

Feb 8, 2017, 12:51:54 PM2/8/17
And what's the price for the _second_ 12 months?

anim8rfsk

Feb 8, 2017, 1:08:58 PM2/8/17
In article <o7floc$1ri$3...@dont-email.me>,
Well, I just checked, and they're offering me a completely different
deal today. $5 more a month for the next level for 6 months, and then
$20 more a month after that. Doesn't strike me as much of a deal.

My overall price just went up about $20 too. It's hard to tell exactly
where that money's going, although I assume TV.

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 9, 2017, 11:42:09 AM2/9/17
It doesn't matter. You always subscribe at the sucker rate, knowing that
you'll have to renegotiate when it expires. No one pays list price for
a cable subscription.

anim8rfsk

Feb 9, 2017, 2:28:41 PM2/9/17
In article <o7i61g$6uv$1...@dont-email.me>,
Uh

er

ah

well

that is ...

How do you *not*?

Adam H. Kerman

Feb 9, 2017, 3:02:16 PM2/9/17
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

The magic words to say to the IVR are,
"I'd like to disconnect all services."

That will get you to customer retention. They have other discounts to offer.
Do that if you can't get a decent rate through the usual channels.

Look at the name of the discount you were getting. First tier customer
service will deny that they can offer you the rate. Somehow, when the
supervisor comes on the line, they stop denying that they can still offer
you the rate, or they'll find that they have a similar rate to offer.

Don't fall for the "It's not available to existing subscribers" bullshit.
If it's available to new subscribers, then the rate is loaded into their
system.

NEVER fall for "Are you aiming to pay the same monthly bill?" because
they'll gladly yank channels out of your television package but they
won't reduce your bill because you have a smaller package.

Another good idea is to record calls to customer service. They are recording
you, after all. If the agent offers you a price that you accept, but it's
not on your bill, you have a good recourse.

You might pay full price for a full monthly billing cycle. After that,
they'll be more willing to offer better rates.

I'm always willing to switch back and forth between Comcast and AT&T Uverse.
Believe me, AT&T customer service is just as vile. I've lived in an area
with fake Uverse (no television) but thanks to the outdoor antenna,
I still had tv choices and some patient friends willing to hold some
recordings for me off satellite channels.

If you don't do this, you end in a cable package billed at $200 a month.