DOCTOR SLEEP Trailer

BTR1701

Sep 9, 2019, 3:35:21 AM9/9/19
https://springboardplatform.com/storage/comingsoon.net/conversion/1742259
.mp4

"Come play with us... forever and ever..."

Rose the Hat looks *exactly* as I imagined her while reading the book.

I also think the Daddario might have been an interesting choice for the
role, especially given her naturally striking eyes. It'd also be fun to
see her play evil for once.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 9, 2019, 8:55:01 AM9/9/19
Hmmmm... Rebecca Ferguson (a better actress than Daddario, esp. for
something like this, IMO) and Emily Alyn Lind are in this.

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 10:57:11 AM9/9/19
I get the feeling she's evil in Why Women Kill. She was downright scary at
the end of the last ep.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 10:59:54 AM9/9/19
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 05:54:56 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-09-09 07:36:41 +0000, BTR1701 said:
>
> > https://springboardplatform.com/storage/comingsoon.net/conversion/1742259
> > .mp4
> >
> > "Come play with us... forever and ever..."
> >
> > Rose the Hat looks *exactly* as I imagined her while reading the book.
> >
> > I also think the Daddario might have been an interesting choice for the
> > role, especially given her naturally striking eyes. It'd also be fun to
> > see her play evil for once.
>
> Hmmmm... Rebecca Ferguson (a better actress than Daddario

YOU

TAKE

THAT

BACK!!!1!!!

> , esp. for
> something like this, IMO) and Emily Alyn Lind are in this.

Alan Smithee

Sep 9, 2019, 4:06:53 PM9/9/19
Akiva Goldsman ... uh, oh...

Arthur Lipscomb

Sep 9, 2019, 4:20:49 PM9/9/19
I like the trailer. I'm looking forward to the movie. I've never been a
fan of The Shining. I've tried to like it. I watched it several times
and just never cared for it. But I'll give it another shot before
Doctor Sleep comes out.

Ian J. Ball

Sep 9, 2019, 4:35:37 PM9/9/19
Which version?!

The theatrical film shares little in common with the source material.
The TV miniseries, while not nearly as iconic, hews much closer.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Sep 9, 2019, 4:36:27 PM9/9/19
On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 4:06:53 PM UTC-4, Alan Smithee wrote:
> Akiva Goldsman ... uh, oh...

Akiva Goldsman did some good work during the 3rd season of FRINGE, especially on the animated episode 19, when everyone jumped off the World Trade Tower.

https://youtu.be/sBv1f_Cj_YA?t=63

------------

Lysergic Acid Diethylamide (Fringe)

My favorite FBI agent, everyone knows its Wendy !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysergic_Acid_Diethylamide_(Fringe)#Plot

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 5:27:33 PM9/9/19
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 13:06:50 -0700 Alan Smithee<al...@last.inc> wrote:

> Akiva Goldsman ... uh, oh...

I'm out.

He's also ruining Major Matt Mason.

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 5:31:27 PM9/9/19
Mon, 09 Sep 2019 13:20:42 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:
A friend and I played hooky from college and went to a matinee of The
Shining. We were the only two people in a big empty theater. Perfect
ambiance.

We both thought it was interesting but puzzling. I went out and bought my
first Stephen King book. After reading it I decided Kubrick had totally blown
the movie.

In an interview, King said Kubrick used to call him and ask questions. One
was "do you believe in ghosts?" King said he did. Kubrick said he didn't.
That's why the movie tries to not necessarily be supernatural, but just a
story of a guy losing his mind.

BTR1701

Sep 9, 2019, 5:59:51 PM9/9/19
Kubrick didn't even get that bit right. King's story is about an average
guy who is driven slowly to murderous insanity by the supernatural forces
in the hotel.

By casting Jack Nicholson and having him play the role the way he did, you
take one look at him and conclude that he's one bad day away from a
complete meltdown before he even gets to the hotel. Nicholson's Jack
Torrance was a loon from the get-go.

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 6:09:14 PM9/9/19
And then there's the kid talking to his finger and his shrink asks Shelley
Duval if she knows who he's talking to and she ominous says she does and ...
they never TELL us? Is that supposed to be a sign that they're haunted or
insane? And whatever it is, it clearly predates them going to the Overlook.

And the hedge maze instead of the topiary ... because Kubrick said they
couldn't convincingly animated hedge animals ... except in the book you never
see them move! They move when you look away!

Hey, Doctor Who ripped that off for the Weeping Angels, didn't it?

moviePig

Sep 9, 2019, 6:20:49 PM9/9/19
In the TV adaptation the hedge animals move. And Kubrick was right...

--

- - - - - - - -
YOUR taste at work...

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 6:27:34 PM9/9/19
You aren't supposed to see them move. They do it when your back is turned.

A Friend

Sep 9, 2019, 6:55:58 PM9/9/19
In article <0001HW.2326FB4201...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Mon, 09 Sep 2019 13:06:50 -0700 Alan Smithee<al...@last.inc> wrote:
>
> > Akiva Goldsman ... uh, oh...
>
> I'm out.

The Mark of Quality(TM)!

moviePig

Sep 9, 2019, 6:57:19 PM9/9/19
"Et tu, Buxus?"

A Friend

Sep 9, 2019, 6:57:23 PM9/9/19
In article <0001HW.2326FC2C01...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Mon, 09 Sep 2019 13:20:42 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 9/9/2019 12:36 AM, BTR1701 wrote:
> > > https://springboardplatform.com/storage/comingsoon.net/conversion/1742259
> > > .mp4
> > >
> > > "Come play with us... forever and ever..."
> > >
> > > Rose the Hat looks *exactly* as I imagined her while reading the book.
> > >
> > > I also think the Daddario might have been an interesting choice for the
> > > role, especially given her naturally striking eyes. It'd also be fun to
> > > see her play evil for once.
> >
> > I like the trailer. I'm looking forward to the movie. I've never been a
> > fan of The Shining. I've tried to like it. I watched it several times
> > and just never cared for it. But I'll give it another shot before
> > Doctor Sleep comes out.
>
> A friend and I played hooky from college and went to a matinee of The
> Shining. We were the only two people in a big empty theater. Perfect
> ambiance.
>
> We both thought it was interesting but puzzling. I went out and bought my
> first Stephen King book. After reading it I decided Kubrick had totally blown
> the movie.

The best thing about it, I think, is the sets. For years, I thought
they'd used a real hotel somewhere.

A Friend

Sep 9, 2019, 6:58:45 PM9/9/19
In article <0001HW.2327050801...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> And then there's the kid talking to his finger and his shrink asks Shelley
> Duval if she knows who he's talking to and she ominous says she does and ...
> they never TELL us? Is that supposed to be a sign that they're haunted or
> insane? And whatever it is, it clearly predates them going to the Overlook.

In the book, it's Danny's future adult self. In the film, they just
gave us the finger.

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 7:15:16 PM9/9/19
I'd say the best part was that new fangled Steadicam; we hadn't seen camera
work like that before, and certainly not en masse. Within a couple years it
would be passé. But I'd grant you that the camera work and the
locations/sets go hand in hand.

anim8rfsk

Sep 9, 2019, 7:17:01 PM9/9/19
Yeah, the book has an explanation, and of course it's supernatural. I don't
know if the movie explanation is the same and they just hid it from us, or if
they never had one, or if they had a non-magical one we've yet to become
privy to ...

We also (and this drove me to the book) had *no* freaking idea why the
elevators were full of blood. Turned out the explanation was 'because it
looked cool in the trailers'

EGK

Sep 9, 2019, 7:47:20 PM9/9/19
I never particularly cared for the movie either. Nicholson got so much
mileage from it but I always thought it hammed it up terribly. The book is
so much better.

RichA

Sep 9, 2019, 9:49:25 PM9/9/19
God what a mistake...PILE on the B.S. fantasy and special effects, completely and utterly unlike the original premise. ANYTHING for a buck.

BTR1701

Sep 10, 2019, 3:11:29 AM9/10/19
In article <4a5ae7ab-9df5-4e8d...@googlegroups.com>,
Umm... it was a book, Rich. There are no special effects in books.

And yes, it's very different than the original. That's a good thing.
Just telling the same story over again is both lame and an *actual*
example of buck-chasing.

BTR1701

Sep 10, 2019, 3:13:25 AM9/10/19
In article <0001HW.2327050801...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
When I first saw the Weeping Angels, the first thing I said was "The
topiary!"

anim8rfsk

Sep 10, 2019, 3:20:31 AM9/10/19
:)

David Johnston

Sep 13, 2019, 8:46:57 PM9/13/19
As opposed to the down-to-earth realism that Stephen KIng is so known
for in his novels?

BTR1701

Sep 14, 2019, 12:41:13 AM9/14/19
In article <qlhd9q$d1b$1...@gioia.aioe.org>,
Yeah, the original premise was a haunted hotel with hedge animals that
moved when you weren't looking at them. It's not like that was a
"fantasy with special effects" at all, right?

Rich seems to feel compelled to complain about absolutely everything,
even when his complaints make no logical sense whatsoever.