What Did You Watch? 2018-01-20 (Saturday)

Ian J. Ball

Jan 21, 2018, 1:02:32 PM1/21/18
I am pretty furiously trying to get through my current streaming list,
and clear out old DVR backlogs, as I'm down to just about a week before
I have to go back to work full time... :/

So I watched:

Chance (Hulu) - "The Collected Works of William Shakespeare" and
"Treasures in Jars of Clay" (ep's #2.5 & 2.6). In the first of these,
we find out that 'D' did seem to successfully resolve his "situation"
with his father, apparently once and for all. Then Chance, 'D', and
Det. Hynes, now knowing Ryan Winter's real identity, seem to track down
Winter's first victim, a case in which there's DNA evidence. And Chance
works Winter and basically gets Ryan Winter to confess... but that goes
sideways when Winter's weirdly possessive assistant Lindsay (Alyson
Reed) breaks up Chance's session with Winter.
In the second of these, Chance's daughter Nicole seems to be getting
crazier and crazier - this ends with Nicole getting arrested for
aggrevated assault for the "book" attack on Pepper. Meanwhile, things
get desperate when the DNA evidence doesn't pan out, and Chance is
denied access to Winter by Lindsay. While Hynes goes looking for dirt
on Lindsay, Chance and 'D' resort to extreme measures to get access to
Winter again - this seems to work out, when Chance seems to get Winter
to realize that be must go to the police and confess. However, things
take an unexpected "twist", with dire results for Det. Hynes...
Just 4 more of these to go!

The Girl on the Train (recorded of film's premiere on Showtime) - Wow,
I'm not really sure why everyone is so down on this film - not only
were the critics down on it, but the CinemaScore from audiences was
only a 'B-' (that's basically an 'F' from CinemaScore!! and yet it also
one a People's Choice!?!). I didn't think this was that bad a thriller
at all... There were really only two main problems, 1) Megan, the Haley
Bennett character, was completely unbelievable (with no real
psychological basis for her behavior offered...), and 2) they basically
"cheated" with Rachel's (Emily Blunt's character) memories of events in
a way that was incredibly manipulative. Also, I guess the ultimate
villain was pretty unbelievable. But aside from that, I thought this
was a pretty decent thriller.
It's about how the lives of three women - Bennett's Megan, Blunt's
Rachel, and the unbelievably beautiful Rebecca Ferguson's Anna
character - intersect, in basically a disastrous way. I won't say much
more than that - except that Blunt's character is a mostly
unsympathetic waste case - so as not to spoil things.
I will say this, however - the more you think about this film, the
worse it comes off. But while watching it, I thought it was a pretty
good thriller.

Taken (recorded) - "Quarry". Yikes! This was *not* a good start to the
rebooted format for this series. This episode was not particularly
compelling at all. We get some background on Bryan (and learn that his
dad was basically an asshole...). And Christina gets to go up against
the EVOL!!1! head of another private contracting firm (played by Tahmoh
Penikett, just to drive home the point that he's EVOL!!1!). But there
was pretty much nothing to recommend this episode, and if this is what
the rest of season #2 is going to look like, please give me back the
season #1 version!
Let's just hope they were trying to "find their legs" on this one,
and that this is not the shape of things to come.

Still Star-Crossed (recorded (a long time ago!!)) - Ep's #6 & #7.
Trying to finish this off. Ep. #6 wasn't bad, despite not having most
of the main cast in it, as it focused primarily on Benvolio, Rosalind,
and Princess Isabella (the latter's story was the most interesting
here...). Ep. #7 had all of the main cast back, but was a lot less
interesting to me, unfournately...
Just one more episode of this to go, which I'll get to today...

One Winter Weekend (Hallmark) - This was fine. Despite me not liking
Taylor Cole's "look" in this, and despite both of the lead characters
coming of like d*cks through most of the first hour, this was mostly
aimably diverting. I especially got a kick out of the supporting leads
- Rukiya Bernard (who plays Doc on "Van Helsing", so you definitely
don't want her around if there's a vampire outbreak!!) and Dewshane
Williams (from "Defiance", and "Backstage"!!), whom I was not expecting
to pop up here. ;)

The Tudors (The Netflix) - "Message to the Emperor" (ep. #1.7). This
episode was pretty interesting - it depicts the "sweating sickness"
(now thought most likely to be a variant of hantavirus) epidemic of
1528, which kills William Compton (now I guess we know why "Lost
Girl's" Kris Holden-Reid was never main cast credited on this show...),
one the nude-y sisters from the previous episode, and several others.
Even both Anne Boleyn and Cardinal Wolsey become ill (this is
historically accurate!!). Henry is massively spooked by all of this,
and retreats away from London to avoid catching it.
Meanwhile, Wolsey sends two English lawyers to meet with Pope
(Clement VII) about Henry's divorce petition. And Wolsey gets the Duke
of Norfolk sent away from London.

Recorded for later: Falling Water, and the 2011 Gary Oldman version of
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" off Showtime Extreme.

What did you watch, on this Eve of the AFC/NFC Championships?...

Ian J. Ball

Jan 21, 2018, 1:07:20 PM1/21/18
On Sunday, January 21, 2018 at 10:02:32 AM UTC-8, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> Still Star-Crossed (recorded (a long time ago!!)) - Ep's #6 & #7.

Make that ep's #5 & #6 - there were only 7 total episodes of this, not 8.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 21, 2018, 1:52:05 PM1/21/18
On 1/21/2018 10:02 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> I am pretty furiously trying to get through my current streaming list,
> and clear out old DVR backlogs, as I'm down to just about a week before
> I have to go back to work full time...  :/
>
> So I watched:

snip

> The Girl on the Train (recorded of film's premiere on Showtime) - Wow,
> I'm not really sure why everyone is so down on this film - not only were
> the critics down on it, but the CinemaScore from audiences was only a
> 'B-' (that's basically an 'F' from CinemaScore!! and yet it also one a
> People's Choice!?!). I didn't think this was that bad a thriller at
> all... There were really only two main problems, 1) Megan, the Haley
> Bennett character, was completely unbelievable (with no real
> psychological basis for her behavior offered...), and 2) they basically
> "cheated" with Rachel's (Emily Blunt's character) memories of events in
> a way that was incredibly manipulative. Also, I guess the ultimate
> villain was pretty unbelievable. But aside from that, I thought this was
> a pretty decent thriller.
>   It's about how the lives of three women - Bennett's Megan, Blunt's
> Rachel, and the unbelievably beautiful Rebecca Ferguson's Anna character
> - intersect, in basically a disastrous way. I won't say much more than
> that - except that Blunt's character is a mostly unsympathetic waste
> case - so as not to spoil things.
>   I will say this, however - the more you think about this film, the
> worse it comes off. But while watching it, I thought it was a pretty
> good thriller.

I don't remember it, but I didn't like it.

> Still Star-Crossed (recorded (a long time ago!!)) - Ep's #6 & #7. Trying
> to finish this off. Ep. #6 wasn't bad, despite not having most of the
> main cast in it, as it focused primarily on Benvolio, Rosalind, and
> Princess Isabella (the latter's story was the most interesting here...).
> Ep. #7 had all of the main cast back, but was a lot less interesting to
> me, unfournately...
>   Just one more episode of this to go, which I'll get to today...

I forgot this show existed. At first I thought you meant that science
fiction show with a similar name.

> One Winter Weekend (Hallmark) - This was fine. Despite me not liking
> Taylor Cole's "look" in this, and despite both of the lead characters
> coming of like d*cks through most of the first hour, this was mostly
> aimably diverting. I especially got a kick out of the supporting leads -
> Rukiya Bernard (who plays Doc on "Van Helsing", so you definitely don't
> want her around if there's a vampire outbreak!!) and Dewshane Williams
> (from "Defiance", and "Backstage"!!), whom I was not expecting to pop up
> here.  ;)
>
> The Tudors (The Netflix) - "Message to the Emperor" (ep. #1.7). This
> episode was pretty interesting - it depicts the "sweating sickness" (now
> thought most likely to be a variant of hantavirus) epidemic of 1528,
> which kills William Compton (now I guess we know why "Lost Girl's" Kris
> Holden-Reid was never main cast credited on this show...), one the
> nude-y sisters from the previous episode, and several others. Even both
> Anne Boleyn and Cardinal Wolsey become ill (this is historically
> accurate!!). Henry is massively spooked by all of this, and retreats
> away from London to avoid catching it.
>   Meanwhile, Wolsey sends two English lawyers to meet with Pope
> (Clement VII) about Henry's divorce petition. And Wolsey gets the Duke
> of Norfolk sent away from London.
>

> Recorded for later: Falling Water, and the 2011 Gary Oldman version of
> "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" off Showtime Extreme.
>

> What did you watch, on this Eve of the AFC/NFC Championships?...

Victoria on Masterpiece - "A Soldier's Daughter; The Green-Eyed Monster"
- Already covered.

SNL - Jessica Chastain hosts an OK episode.

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (blu-ray) 1978 musical consisting
only of Beatles songs, staring Peter Frampton and The Bee Gees as a
music group that, um well...I don't know. It has something to do with
recovering their stolen instruments and Frampton's girlfriend gets
kidnapped. This movie's plot is completely incomprehensible. You don't
watch this movie you survive it. I saw it once on DVD a few years ago
and while I didn't like it then, it stuck with me. I'd classify it as a
"good" bad movie. It's like Troll 2 in it's awfulness and
rewatchability. So when it got a blu-ray upgrade I bit the bullet and
bought it. It's still not good but it has every hit musical group of
the 70s doing a cover of Beatles songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgUdkvSGYGU

Across the Universe (4K blu-ray) - 2007 Julie Taymor musical consisting
only of Beatles songs. Now this on the other hand I absolutely love.
Set during the Vietnam War, Jim Sturgess stars as a young British Man
who comes to American and falls in love with Evan Rachel Wood. But when
Wood's brother (Joe Anderson) gets drafted she becomes radicalized.
This was well worth the 4K upgrade. The visuals really pop in 4K and
the Dolby Atmos sound rocks...

November Criminals (Netflix rental) - Ansel Elgort (Baby Driver) stars
as a teenager who investigates the murder of his friend. Chloë Grace
Moretz co-stars as his girlfriend. Forgettable movie.

The LEGO Ninjago Movie (Netflix rental) - I think this is maybe a spoof
of Power Rangers (if that *can* be spoofed) with a group of 5 colorful
Ninjas who battle an evil warlord bent on taking over an island city.
The twist here is the warlord is the father of one of the ninjas. And
the young ninja just wants his father's attention. It's OK. Not as
good as the Lego Movie or the Lego Batman movie, but it still had a few
laughs. It also put me in the mood to finally revisit The Power Rangers
movie.

icebreaker

Jan 21, 2018, 2:44:29 PM1/21/18
On Sun, 21 Jan 2018 10:02:28 -0800, Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid>
wrote:

>One Winter Weekend (Hallmark) - This was fine. Despite me not liking
>Taylor Cole's "look" in this, and despite both of the lead characters
>coming of like d*cks through most of the first hour, this was mostly
>aimably diverting. I especially got a kick out of the supporting leads
>- Rukiya Bernard (who plays Doc on "Van Helsing", so you definitely
>don't want her around if there's a vampire outbreak!!) and Dewshane
>Williams (from "Defiance", and "Backstage"!!), whom I was not expecting
>to pop up here. ;)

I liked this one as well. This is Cole's new look. It wasn't just for
the movie. I kind of like the more grown up look. I can't believe
someone hasn't scooped her up already. She was very charming on
Friends and Family promoting the movie.

Also:

Geek Charming (Netflix) -- starring Sarah Hyland pre-kidney
transplant.

Eureka (DVD) -- some of season 1.

mog...@hotmail.com

Jan 21, 2018, 3:10:07 PM1/21/18
Tonnes and tonnes of Trump fat-shaming jokes.

Ian J. Ball

Jan 21, 2018, 4:03:53 PM1/21/18
And co-starring the guy that I think used to beat Hyland up.

I notice that he hasn't worked since that came out...

anim8rfsk

Jan 21, 2018, 4:40:07 PM1/21/18
In article <p42kjk$vvq$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> What did you watch

Thanks for asking!

DEATH IN PARADISE
These don't seem to have episode titles, at least not on the IMDb, so
just call it 7.3
Not a very good one at all. Not even a phone call to the daughter's
voice mail. No lizard either. How long is Dwayne's apartment going to
be flooded anyway? Who cares about Voodoo Valentine's day? The plot
didn't make a lot of sense - why did he need the secret scooter, and how
did nobody notice he's swum out to a boat when he came back dripping
wet, and why not say you need something else at the store that you don't
have a case and a half of sitting there? DI Money just arbitrarily
decides one of the first 3 people he sees must have done it, for *no*
reason at all. Good thing he was right. How come nobody knows what
this famous author looks like, and why don't they carry around photos of
the principals so when somebody says "he was a tall man with an
Australian accent" you can whip out your cell phone and say "is this the
man?" Kirsty Young plays herself, and I have *no* idea who she is.
Catherine either likes Money or has plans to fix him up. Why does
everybody carry their business cards loose in their pants pocket, and
why aren't they crumpled messes? Anyway, worst ep with Money yet. :(

COUNTERPART
Okay, I really really enjoyed the pilot to this. There's *no* way to
talk about it given that every utterance is a spoiler. Suffice to say
J.J. Simmons is great, and, looking at the IMDb cast list, I've never
*seen* so many very attractive women in my life! Surprise ending I did
*not* see coming. Fred-Bob sez 'check it out'

THOR RAGNAROK
Short version - I really enjoyed this. Far and away the best of the
THOR movies, partly because we don't have to suffer any Natalie Portman
(there's a weird scene where they ask about characters from previous
movies, and they say "Nat" when they clearly meant Jane).

The cast is wonderful, and while I would have disagreed with damn near
every creative decision they made, the final product is most enjoyable.
It's much more GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY than the previous Thor movies.
I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that goofy buzz cut Thor
works.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Jan 21, 2018, 4:53:52 PM1/21/18
In article <7b118844-de24-4543...@googlegroups.com>,
Matt Prokop? Yeah, his career ended when she got a permanent
restraining order against him.

David Barnett

Jan 21, 2018, 4:54:28 PM1/21/18
In article <p42kjk$vvq$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid says...
> What did you watch?

On Saturday January 20 I watched:

12 MONKEYS: Nature
This was a bit better, in that he diction was better.
Even the 2 lead characters were intelligible at times.

ARROW: Divided
So-so in spite of the presence of Michael Emerson (Cayden)

3 more episodes of DARK MATTER.
Syfy, not Netflix, now airing 3 episodes of first Season at a time.

--
David Barnett

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 21, 2018, 5:08:12 PM1/21/18
Yeah, I've been watching a lot of stuff like that lately.

Suffice to say
> J.J. Simmons is great, and, looking at the IMDb cast list, I've never
> *seen* so many very attractive women in my life! Surprise ending I did
> *not* see coming.

Neither did I.

Fred-Bob sez 'check it out'

> THOR RAGNAROK
> Short version - I really enjoyed this. Far and away the best of the
> THOR movies, partly because we don't have to suffer any Natalie Portman
> (there's a weird scene where they ask about characters from previous
> movies, and they say "Nat" when they clearly meant Jane).
>
> The cast is wonderful, and while I would have disagreed with damn near
> every creative decision they made, the final product is most enjoyable.
> It's much more GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY than the previous Thor movies.
> I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that goofy buzz cut Thor
> works.

I liked it but I think I only saw it the one time in the theater. I'm
all set for Black Panther next month. I was going to revisit Captain
America Civil War first, but now I think I'm not going to do that.
Instead I fully plan to revisit *all* of the Marvel movies (set in the
Avengers universe) starting with Iron Man and working my way up to
Infinity War. I'll get started on this massive project around April
which should give me enough time to revisit the 18 or so Marvel flicks.

Did you ever get around to checking out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
over on Amazon streaming? I *think* I saw you mention it in another thread.

anim8rfsk

Jan 21, 2018, 6:07:59 PM1/21/18
In article <p43308$5t9$1...@dont-email.me>,
I loved JJJ shutting down that asshole Apollo.
Gur PP perqvgf gur gbhtu WWW nf "Cevzr" juvpu vf ... vagrerfgvat.

> Fred-Bob sez 'check it out'
> >
> > THOR RAGNAROK
> > Short version - I really enjoyed this. Far and away the best of the
> > THOR movies, partly because we don't have to suffer any Natalie Portman
> > (there's a weird scene where they ask about characters from previous
> > movies, and they say "Nat" when they clearly meant Jane).
> >
> > The cast is wonderful, and while I would have disagreed with damn near
> > every creative decision they made, the final product is most enjoyable.
> > It's much more GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY than the previous Thor movies.
> > I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that goofy buzz cut Thor
> > works.
> >

> I liked it but I think I only saw it the one time in the theater. I'm
> all set for Black Panther next month. I was going to revisit Captain
> America Civil War first, but now I think I'm not going to do that.
> Instead I fully plan to revisit *all* of the Marvel movies (set in the
> Avengers universe) starting with Iron Man

Iron Man 1 - still the best. All downhill from there. :)

and working my way up to
> Infinity War. I'll get started on this massive project around April
> which should give me enough time to revisit the 18 or so Marvel flicks.

Yikes

> Did you ever get around to checking out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
> over on Amazon streaming? I *think* I saw you mention it in another thread.

You did.
I added it to my watchlist. They actually had TWO Dick things. I added
them both but haven't sorted it out yet.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 21, 2018, 10:57:51 PM1/21/18
Which one are you? :-)

> Gur PP perqvgf gur gbhtu WWW nf "Cevzr" juvpu vf ... vagrerfgvat.

I missed that.

>> Fred-Bob sez 'check it out'
>>>
>>> THOR RAGNAROK
>>> Short version - I really enjoyed this. Far and away the best of the
>>> THOR movies, partly because we don't have to suffer any Natalie Portman
>>> (there's a weird scene where they ask about characters from previous
>>> movies, and they say "Nat" when they clearly meant Jane).
>>>
>>> The cast is wonderful, and while I would have disagreed with damn near
>>> every creative decision they made, the final product is most enjoyable.
>>> It's much more GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY than the previous Thor movies.
>>> I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, to discover that goofy buzz cut Thor
>>> works.
>>>

>> I liked it but I think I only saw it the one time in the theater. I'm
>> all set for Black Panther next month. I was going to revisit Captain
>> America Civil War first, but now I think I'm not going to do that.
>> Instead I fully plan to revisit *all* of the Marvel movies (set in the
>> Avengers universe) starting with Iron Man
>
> Iron Man 1 - still the best. All downhill from there. :)

They are all over the place in terms of quality but Iron Man 1 is far
from my favorite. I haven't watched Iron Man 3 since it was in the
theater. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I remember.

> and working my way up to
>> Infinity War. I'll get started on this massive project around April
>> which should give me enough time to revisit the 18 or so Marvel flicks.
>
> Yikes

I've never tried a movie marathon like this before. But I'm committed.

>> Did you ever get around to checking out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
>> over on Amazon streaming? I *think* I saw you mention it in another thread.
>
> You did.
> I added it to my watchlist. They actually had TWO Dick things. I added
> them both but haven't sorted it out yet.

What's the other one?

Obveeus

Jan 21, 2018, 11:07:07 PM1/21/18

On 1/21/2018 1:02 PM, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> What did you watch, on this Eve of the AFC/NFC Championships?...

Just dumping out a quick summary for the last week plus:

VIKINGS: All the family members are at each other's throats and as a
result manage to get most of their countrymen killed in battle. Like
most wars, it would be better if the leaders were simply put in an arena
cage match and everyone else was left in peace. Meanwhile, the Wessex
King dies and his two sons have to decide which one will take over...one
of them is illegitimate. Is that fact a continuity problem? I thought
both sons were illegitimate.

THE MAGICIANS: The first two episodes of the new season. Great to have
this show back...the magic certainly isn't gone. Exploding cats and
annoying fairies and battery powered hopes.

HAPPY!: The latest 2 episodes of this outrageous Syfy series. How
funny is it that the Christmas season finally passes for the kids and
now they are in an even worse torture chamber...school.

AGENTS OF SHIELD: The latest 2 episodes of this time travel outer space
show in which the writing seems to have put the plot into an
unrecoverable place. Time travel stuff does this to a lot of shows. If
the people in the future go back into the past and destroy the world,
then that already happened and them going back into the past will simply
result in the same scenario again. I don't see how any event in the
future will change what mistakes they make in the past.

THE GOOD PLACE: First our protagonists fail to get a hot air balloon
escape plan off the ground. Then, our protagonists go to the 'real bad
place' and it looks a lot like a cocktail party at a museum. Fun show.

THE GOOD DOCTOR: The rest of the twin separation silliness involving
not enough kidneys and not enough hearts and not enough blood flow after
the brain surgery. The neighbor girl is the best part of the show. I
did like the moral lesson about false claims of racism, though.

RITA: Season #4 of this Danish dramedy about a school teacher with
great legs. This season, RITA is teaching at a new school with the same
old problems of money shortages and helicopter parents. The twist this
season is that this is the same school RITA went to as a teen, so lots
of flashbacks to a teenage version of herself (also with nice legs)
being a destructive mess...helping explain why she is a destructive mess
as an adult. Also included is the spinoff series character, Hjordis
returning to this series as the well meaning and underappreciated sidekick.

GRACE & FRANKIE: The first 4 episodes of the latest season. Lisa
Kudrow is there, a closeted gay neighbor is introduced, and the kids
seems to be getting more screen time.

COCO: The 2017 animated film set on The Day of the Dead holiday. This
one had a bit of darkness not normally found in kids shows. I enjoyed
the film, thought the music was weak, and found a lot of the visuals to
be gaudy/ugly.

ATOMIC BLONDE: The 2017 film about a bunch of MI6 and etc spies from
different countries all trying to track down a list of spy names.
Mostly, this film stands out for being a very different style of martial
arts film from the typical silliness where characters are swatted down,
but seldom show evidence of injury other than being rendered
unconscious. Beyond that, the plot got overly convoluted and didn't
quite hold together.

LOGAN LUCKY: The 2017 film about a group of rednecks trying to rob
Charlotte Motor Speedway. I think every bit of humor in this film was
revealed in the trailer. Mostly, this was a bit slow and aimless,
though the end did come together well even if its OCEANS ELEVEN style
plot did become untenable.

anim8rfsk

Jan 21, 2018, 11:19:15 PM1/21/18
In article <p43nfs$ed3$1...@dont-email.me>,
I didn't see what they called the other one.

> >> Fred-Bob sez 'check it out'

> >> I liked it but I think I only saw it the one time in the theater. I'm
> >> all set for Black Panther next month. I was going to revisit Captain
> >> America Civil War first, but now I think I'm not going to do that.
> >> Instead I fully plan to revisit *all* of the Marvel movies (set in the
> >> Avengers universe) starting with Iron Man
> >
> > Iron Man 1 - still the best. All downhill from there. :)
> >

> They are all over the place in terms of quality but Iron Man 1 is far
> from my favorite. I haven't watched Iron Man 3 since it was in the
> theater. Hopefully it won't be as bad as I remember.

3's way better than 2.

IM1 isn't your favorite? What do you place above it?

> > and working my way up to
> >> Infinity War. I'll get started on this massive project around April
> >> which should give me enough time to revisit the 18 or so Marvel flicks.
> >
> > Yikes
> >
> I've never tried a movie marathon like this before. But I'm committed.

Or will be shortly thereafter.

I had friends that would do this in a movie theater each time a new
PLANET OF THE APES movie came out.

> >> Did you ever get around to checking out Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams
> >> over on Amazon streaming? I *think* I saw you mention it in another
> >> thread.
> >
> > You did.
> > I added it to my watchlist. They actually had TWO Dick things. I added
> > them both but haven't sorted it out yet.
> >

> What's the other one?

I can't find it again. Maybe I added Electric Dreams twice.

anim8rfsk

Jan 21, 2018, 11:20:17 PM1/21/18
In article <p43o19$gq9$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> AGENTS OF SHIELD: The latest 2 episodes of this time travel outer space
> show in which the writing seems to have put the plot into an
> unrecoverable place. Time travel stuff does this to a lot of shows. If
> the people in the future go back into the past and destroy the world,
> then that already happened and them going back into the past will simply
> result in the same scenario again. I don't see how any event in the
> future will change what mistakes they make in the past.

Yeah, I don't see any way they can write themselves out of this.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jan 22, 2018, 12:12:19 AM1/22/18
Off the top of my head: Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Captain America: Civil War, Guardians of the Galaxy.

>>> and working my way up to
>>>
>>> Yikes
>>>
>> I've never tried a movie marathon like this before. But I'm committed.
>
> Or will be shortly thereafter.
>
> I had friends that would do this in a movie theater each time a new
> PLANET OF THE APES movie came out.

I've had a few Apes marathons over the years, but with the possible
exception of the first one getting a rerelease, I don't think I've seen
any of the originals in the theater.

anim8rfsk

Jan 22, 2018, 1:05:00 AM1/22/18
In article <p43rrg$2li$1...@dont-email.me>,
Huh. I'd put Avengers 1 and Guardians 1 & 2 near the top, and both Caps
at the bottom. Ant-Man goes at the top too, even though it's really an
Atom movie. And Doctor Strange was great (and he's the best part of
Thor Ragnarok too). Iron Man 1 is still the tippy top though.

There's 18 of these damn things????

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films
Yep, Black Panther is number 18.

Okay, here's the chronological list:

Iron Man (2008)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Thor (2011)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Ant-Man (2015)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)

And my attempt to put them in some sort of order of goodness:

Iron Man (2008)
Marvel's The Avengers (2012)
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Doctor Strange (2016)
Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Ant-Man (2015)
Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)
Iron Man 3 (2013)
Iron Man 2 (2010)
Captain America: Civil War (2016)
The Incredible Hulk (2008)
Captain America: The First Avenger (2011)
Thor (2011)
Thor: The Dark World (2013)
Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017)

Guardians 2 and Thor 3 may be artificially high because I only just
recently saw them both for the first time.

Note that the other Marvel based but not Marvel controlled films, the
Spider-Men and the X-Men (with maybe one exception) that first "don't
make me AngLee" Hulk with the Hulk Dogs and the Fantastic Fours all fall
below anything on the 'official' films list, which says that despite the
control freakiness making people like Joss Whedon crazy, Marvel is doing
something right here.

Hey, Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic have Iron Man in the top slot too:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Marvel_Cinematic_Universe_films#Cri
tical_response

Ubiquitous

Jan 22, 2018, 7:11:42 AM1/22/18
In article <p42kjk$vvq$1...@dont-email.me>, IJB...@mac.invalid wrote:

>What did you watch, on this Eve of the AFC/NFC Championships?...

TESLA'S DEATH RAY

STRANGE EVIDENCE:
"Ghost in the Abyss". A deep-ocean expedition discovers unnerving evidence of
an alien-like monster stirring in the abyss. When an apocalyptic shockwave is
caught on tape, investigators wonder if a meteor has hit a city. Something
bizarre is happening in a Siberian ice river. I'd enjoy this show much more if
it weren't so sensationalized, like WHAT ON EARTH and NASA'S SECRET FILES.

STRANGE EVIDENCE:
"Jungle Werewolf". A strange beast is spotted in a remote Brazilian town. A
cataclysmic blast sparks fears of nuclear disaster. When a child displays
superhuman powers, some fear it's the devil's work. I have to call
"shenanigans" on the "demon child" footage not being altered.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k8chaFhCYE

THE RIFLEMAN:
"Knight Errant". An ex-army officer and the other an eccentric cavalier, two
of Lucas' oldest friends, ask him to observe a chess match to prevent any
cheating. It turns out their henchmen were doing the cheating b/c they were
tired of how ineptly their bosses played chess.

THE RIFLEMAN:
"Honest Abe". An eccentric man who pretends he's Abe Lincoln spends a weekend
with Lucas and Mark. He finds himself in trouble when he gets in a fight with
a man in the saloon and breaks the man's arm. I could have sworn there were
scenes missing from last time I watched this...

THE WILD WILD WEST:
"The Night of the Diva". On his return trip from Washington, Artie is asked by
Ulysses S. Grant to escort Rosa Montebello, a famous opera singer and the
daughter of the Italian ambassador, to her performance in New Orleans. Artie
receives an invitation to a better gig, so Jim offers to escort her instead.
Good thing, too, as he is able to foil her kidnapping by a group called the
Club of Lucia. Unbeknownst to our heroes, two other opera divas who have
performed as Lucia in New Orleans have disappeared recently. That certainly
would have been helpful to know beforehand, no? The two agents assume
Montebello is still in danger of being kidnapped, so they pursue the secret
members of the Club of Lucia. Their investigation leads them to the Crenshaw
brothers. One is active in the business side of opera. The other is a recluse
who wears a Greek theater mask to hide his identity. Both are tied to a fire
in the opera house years before which killed the great opera diva, Caroline
Mason. Or did it? In one of my favorite twists, the masked Crenshaw is really
Caroline Mason. Her vocal cords were damaged in the fire, giving her a male
voice, thereby ruining her singing career. She has been kidnapping singers who
attempt to perform as Lucia, her favorite role, hoping to recapture her past
glory. She keeps the singers in giant bird cages in her basement (this is The
Wild Wild West, after all.) while forcing them to perform Lucia until they get
it right. Which is never, of course.

WONDER WOMAN
"Stolen Faces". In the teaser before the opening credits, little Timmy
is playing in the street at the 1940's backlot when he sees a crappy car
pull up and Wonder Woman get out. He runs across the street to meet her
and almost gets run over by a car but Wonder Woman saves his life by
getting hit instead. Gee, I wonder why her face is hidden? Well, it
turns out it was only a Wonder Woman imposter who couldn't have
possibly been her. Dianna is sent to investigate and no sooner does she
arrive at the hospital than she thwarts an attempt to kill the imposter
but the killer escapes. She performs some legwork, pre-Google style and
tracks down the costume to a gym that offers Wondwer Woman appearances
at parties and special occassions but when she goes to investigate,
almost gets run over in the parking lot and falls off the building.
Lucky for her she's rotating along her vertical axis as she is falling,
allowing her to twirl into Womer Woman! She chases down the car which is
barely moving at walking speed, only to discover the driver is now
wearing a really bad little old lady disguise and lets him go.
Meanwhile, a rich fashion designer of some sort of preparing for a lame
"Fashions That Made the 1920's Roar" show, complete with Tommy Guns. To
make a long nonsensical story short (too late!), the wealthy designer,
who is also a master of disguise, is pulling the heist of the century by
having the models rob the rich attendees, then having a fake Wonder
Woman pretend to save the day so he can run off with the loot and retire
in South America. Whut?

FAMILY GUY:
"The Splendid Source". Peter and the gang's search for the historical source
of dirty jokes leads them to Virginia, where they reunite with Cleveland.

FAMILY GUY:
"Excellence in Broadcasting". After discovering Rush Limbaugh is in
town, Brian goes to confront him, only to discover Rush is right and
becomes a conservative. This is one of the better eps, which surprises
me because Seth McFarlane is such a ignorant leftist.

RICK AND MORTY:
"Something Ricked This Way Comes".

RICK AND MORTY:
"Close Rick-counters of the Rick Kind".

TCM UNDERGROUND:
"The Night Visitor". A farmer is framed for murder and railroaded into an
insane asylum by his ambitious sister and her doctor husband.

Obveeus

Jan 22, 2018, 8:47:25 AM1/22/18
THE MAN IN HIGH CASTLE?

anim8rfsk

Jan 22, 2018, 11:03:38 AM1/22/18
In article <p44q1a$d6f$3...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
No, that's been on my list since the first pilot. Maybe it offered me
YOU DON'T KNOW DICK.

Jim G.

Jan 22, 2018, 7:29:15 PM1/22/18
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 01/21/2018 at 12:02 PM:
> What did you watch, on this Eve of the AFC/NFC Championships?...

FALLING WATER / 2x03 / Safehouse

[Tess, Taka and Burton deal with their Shadowman-inflicted pain in both
the dream and real worlds; Woody infiltrates the dreams of the mayor.]

We learn that it was the Shadowman who made Sabine kill Taka's mother.
Not a complete surprise, but the speed of the reveal was unusual. And by
the end, our trio, back together again, has decided to stop hiding and
to take the fight to this enemy. Elsewhere, the mayor's dream desk needs
a good wipedown.

Grade: B+

"Captain, respectfully submit that the attractiveness of the ship's
occupant makes the rescue imperative." -- Lt. Gordon Malloy, THE ORVILLE

bruce2...@gmail.com

Jan 24, 2018, 1:01:55 AM1/24/18
Some holiday, wow.