Mike Wallace: dead. And we never did find out what Kenneth's frequency was.

Captain Infinity

Apr 8, 2012, 4:03:25 PM4/8/12
Mike Wallace has died. And we never did find out what Kenneth's frequency
was.

**
Captain Infinity

EGK

Apr 8, 2012, 4:22:34 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:03:25 -0400, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote:

>Mike Wallace has died. And we never did find out what Kenneth's frequency
>was.

He'd have to ask Dan Rather.

Jim T.

Apr 8, 2012, 4:58:15 PM4/8/12
One of the most surreal things I've ever seen on TV was when REM was
on Letterman, and Dan Rather sang "What's the Frequency Kenneth" with
them.

Duggy

Apr 8, 2012, 5:31:36 PM4/8/12
I recall Rather on Entertainment Tonight jokingly saying "REM stands
for Rather's Excellent Musicians" and Michael Stipe being all serious
in separate interview saying it doesn't.

===
= DUG.
===

Rhino

Apr 8, 2012, 6:22:42 PM4/8/12

"Jim T." <x@y.z> wrote in message
This thread is going right over my head. Who is this Kenneth person that
Rather mentioned? Or is that the title of a song? I've never heard of such a
song but I don't know everything.....

--
Rhino

Captain Infinity

Apr 8, 2012, 6:42:27 PM4/8/12
Once Upon A Time,
Dan didn't know either.

**
Captain Infinity

EGK

Apr 8, 2012, 7:46:01 PM4/8/12
On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 18:42:27 -0400, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote:

>Once Upon A Time,
>EGK wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 16:03:25 -0400, Captain Infinity
>><Infi...@captaininfinity.us> wrote:
>>
>>>Mike Wallace has died. And we never did find out what Kenneth's frequency
>>>was.
>>
>>He'd have to ask Dan Rather.
>
>Dan didn't know either.

You don't know that. He could have just been a tough nut to crack.

lugnut

Apr 8, 2012, 10:41:52 PM4/8/12
A little of both. Rather was attacked in 1986 by a man who jumped him
from behind and just kept repeating the phrase. In 1994, R.E.M.
scored a hit with a song of the same title.

-lugnut

Ubiquitous

Apr 9, 2012, 6:00:56 AM4/9/12
Infi...@captaininfinity.us wrote:

>And we never did find out what Kenneth's frequency was.

You're thinking of Dan Rather.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Hunter

Apr 9, 2012, 9:04:26 AM4/9/12
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 02:41:52 GMT, lug...@NOSPAMhotmail.com (lugnut)
wrote:
-----
They got the guy btw:

"Kenneth, what is the frequency?"

"On October 4, 1986, as Rather was walking along Park Avenue in
Manhattan to his apartment, he was attacked and punched from behind by
a man who demanded to know, "Kenneth, what is the frequency?", while a
second assailant also chased and beat him. As the assailant pummeled
and kicked Rather, he kept repeating the question over and over again.
In describing the incident, Rather said, "I got mugged. Who
understands these things? I didn't and I don't now. I didn't make a
lot of it at the time and I don't now. I wish I knew who did it and
why, but I have no idea."

The incident and Rather's account led some to doubt the veracity of
Rather's story, although the doorman and building supervisor who
rescued Rather fully confirmed his version of events. The story
entered popular lore and remained unsolved for some time. The incident
inspired a song called "Kenneth, What's the Frequency?" by the band
Game Theory in 1987. In October 1990, the phrase "What's the
frequency, Kenneth?" appeared in an issue of the Daniel Clowes comic
Eightball[53] as part of the serialized graphic novel Like a Velvet
Glove Cast in Iron, and was revealed in a later episode to be a key
part of the Mister Jones conspiracy theory.[

[edit]

In 1997, a TV critic writing in the New York Daily News solved the
mystery, and published a photo of the alleged assailant, William
Tager. Rather confirmed the story: "There's no doubt in my mind that
this is the person." "William Tager's identity as the man who attacked
Mr. Rather was established in the course of an investigation by my
office", said New York District Attorney Robert M. Morgenthau.[55]

Tager was sentenced to a 25-year prison sentence for killing NBC
stagehand Campbell Montgomery outside The Today Show studio in 1994.
He was paroled in October 2010 and is believed to be living in New
York City.[56]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rather#.22Kenneth.2C_what_is_the_frequency.3F.22

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907