'Dallas' returns: Does it have the best TV theme song ever?

Ubiquitous

Jun 14, 2012, 5:12:05 AM6/14/12
by Jeff Labrecque

I�m going to apologize in advance because I�m about to plant a tune (or
two) in your head that might take root and linger for the rest of the
day. The good news is that you get to choose the tune. With Dallas
returning to television on TNT, a new generation of fans will be humming
the show�s iconic theme song. Even if you don�t know who shot J.R., the
show�s opening-credits music strikes a chord in almost everyone who grew
up during Dallas�s first iteration. �Texas, Our Texas� is the Lone Star
State�s official song, but they could do worse than composer John
Parker�s instrumental ode to power and greed.

The Dallas theme song still works, but when I asked my colleagues at EW
where it ranked among the best TV theme songs of all time, the feedback
was immediate and overwhelming. As the e-mails poured in, nominating
Cheers, The Monkees, Mission: Impossible, and� Sailor Moon, I
preemptively changed the rules and informed them that to officially
nominate a theme song, they needed to sing it to me in my office. This
seemed to have the desired effect of whittling down our choices � which
are still plentiful.

EW has chosen 30 iconic TV theme songs for you to vote on, and since I
know that I could have easily included 30 more, there�s an Other option
that I hope you contrarians will make use of. Vote for the greatest TV
theme song below and tell us what is missing in the comments. Good luck
choosing just one.

What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?
The Addams Family

All in the Family

The Andy Griffith Show

Beverly Hills 90210

The Brady Bunch

Cheers

Dallas

Dawson's Creek

The Facts of Life

The Flintstones

The Fresh Prince of Bel Air

Friends

Gilligan's Island

Good Times

The Greatest American Hero

Hawaii Five-O

Hill Street Blues

The Jeffersons

Jeopardy!

M*A*S*H

Miami Vice

Mission: Impossible

The Monkees

The Muppet Show

Sanford and Son

Rawhide

The Simpsons

The Sopranos

Welcome Back, Kotter

Other, and I will sing it for you in the comments below.

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 14, 2012, 8:11:57 PM6/14/12
>by Jeff Labrecque

>What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?
>The Addams Family

>All in the Family

>The Andy Griffith Show

>Beverly Hills 90210

I don't remember this one.

>The Brady Bunch

>Cheers

>Dallas

Not great music, but damn, with all those major chords, it sticks to your
brain like glue.

>Dawson's Creek

Dude! Dawson's Creek didn't have a theme song. It used an existing pop tune
that, quite frankly, wasn't closely related to the show but was quite
tuneful.

>The Greatest American Hero

If the number of people who bought the theme watched the show, ratings
would have been outstanding.

>The Jeffersons

Great tune.

>Jeopardy!

The producer made more money from royalties from the theme song than he
did from producing the show; gotta love copyright law bullshit.

>M*A*S*H

Written for the movie, so let's not list it.

>Miami Vice

>Mission: Impossible

You can't beat having a theme song written by Lalo Schiffren. Pure
'60's and '70's action movie sound.

>Sanford and Son

Another theme song written a genuine jazz music composer, actually
a jazz standard.

Obveeus

Jun 14, 2012, 9:15:13 PM6/14/12

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> EW has chosen 30 iconic TV theme songs for you to vote on, and since I
> know that I could have easily included 30 more, there's an Other option
> that I hope you contrarians will make use of.

Plenty of good songs to choose from snipped. Most notable from the list,
though, is that the theme song has all but died on current TV. Lots of TV
shows from the last decade have used pop tunes strung together in place of
actual dialog/plot, but very few TV shows anymore have good theme songs.
So, in that regard, I'd just like to toss THE BIG BANG THEORY into the mix
simple for being the rare exception of the new millennium.

Tony Calguire

Jun 14, 2012, 9:43:58 PM6/14/12
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote in

>>Dallas
>
> Not great music, but damn, with all those major chords, it sticks to
> your brain like glue.

Adam, I can't believe you didn't write in what is perhaps the greatest TV
theme song by the greatest theme song composer... The Rockford Files!

David

Jun 14, 2012, 9:56:38 PM6/14/12
Greatest theme song ever

(in full):

"Mr. Sunshine. Yay."

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 14, 2012, 9:59:10 PM6/14/12
Tony Calguire <calg...@tcfreenet.invalid> wrote:

>Adam, I can't believe you didn't write in what is perhaps the greatest TV
>theme song by the greatest theme song composer... The Rockford Files!

Sorry for the ommission.

I was thinking of making a crack about replacing a sublime theme song
written by a fantastic composer like Jeff Beal with schlock written
by Randy Newman.

BTR1701

Jun 14, 2012, 10:20:57 PM6/14/12
In article <jrdnp6$3b0$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?

Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 14, 2012, 11:18:38 PM6/14/12
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>>What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?

>Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.

Just found UFO, a show I never saw. That's a damn eerie theme:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfo_SL5V3og

Also, I do like Space: 1999, and the all-synthesizer Blake's 7 theme

From Henry Mancini, how about the Mystery Movie theme?

I couldn't stand Mannix, but Lalo Schifrin wrote another good theme.

Man from U.N.C.L.E.

Laurie Johnson: The Avengers (the lush version for Diana Rigg)

The Lonely Man is my favorite tv theme.

po...@aol.com

Jun 15, 2012, 1:15:41 AM6/15/12
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 5:12:05 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

>What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?

Ron Grainer's "The Prisoner"

followed by

John Barry's "The Persuaders"

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 15, 2012, 2:17:39 AM6/15/12
po...@aol.com wrote:
>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 5:12:05 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>>What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?

>Ron Grainer's "The Prisoner"

Danger Man is wonderful; American television substituted the somewhat
silly "Secret Agent Man" when the series was retitled. The harpsicord of
Grainer's theme is just cool.

Tony Calguire

Jun 15, 2012, 2:47:32 AM6/15/12
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote in news:atropos-D8F726.19205714062012@news-
europe.giganews.com:

>> What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?
>
> Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.

Ooh, that's a good choice, too.

I should have mentioned Mike Post's Magnum theme and Hill Street Blues
theme too when I brought up The Rockford Files.

And I gotta submit "Love Is All Around" for consideration (the "You're
Gonna", version, not the "You Might Just" version).

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 15, 2012, 3:01:47 AM6/15/12
Tony Calguire <calg...@tcfreenet.invalid> wrote:

>I should have mentioned Mike Post's Magnum theme and Hill Street Blues
>theme too when I brought up The Rockford Files.

Wiseguy
less familiar version from the pilot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu0XPItjAEg

Hunter

Jun 15, 2012, 9:13:28 AM6/15/12
------
The only good thing about the original "Battlestar Galactica". :-)

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Obveeus

Jun 15, 2012, 8:26:13 AM6/15/12
Almost as good as the NEW GIRL theme.

BTR1701

Jun 15, 2012, 12:19:13 PM6/15/12
In article <4fdb34f1...@news.optonline.net>,
Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:20:57 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <jrdnp6$3b0$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> >> What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?
> >
> >Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.
> ------
> The only good thing about the original "Battlestar Galactica". :-)

Cassiopeia wasn't bad, either.

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 3:27:18 PM6/15/12
In article <atropos-C3CC94...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <4fdb34f1...@news.optonline.net>,
> Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com> (Hunter) wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:20:57 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> > >Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.
> > ------
> > The only good thing about the original "Battlestar Galactica". :-)
>
> Cassiopeia wasn't bad, either.

Dirty socialator.

--
"Every time a Kardashian gets a TV show, an angel dies."

chicagofan

Jun 15, 2012, 3:29:51 PM6/15/12
Is this a new language... or just code between sci-fi fans? ;)
bj

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 5:25:49 PM6/15/12
In article <jrg2ff$2go$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:
The latter I guess. :)

In the BSG pilot, Cassiopeia was a whore, and the people would mutter
"dirty socialator" when she skanked past them.

Come the series, she was retconned into a nurse, and the beautiful and
heroic Athena found her role diminished in favor of a much less
attractive and talented actress.

chicagofan

Jun 15, 2012, 7:20:58 PM6/15/12
anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article<jrg2ff$2go$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan<m...@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> anim8rFSK wrote:

>>> Dirty socialator.
>>>
>> Is this a new language... or just code between sci-fi fans? ;)
>> bj
> The latter I guess. :)
>
> In the BSG pilot, Cassiopeia was a whore, and the people would mutter
> "dirty socialator" when she skanked past them.

LOL! My ignorance is showing... I would have sworn that name was made up .... "Cassiopea". :)
bj

BTR1701

Jun 15, 2012, 7:49:47 PM6/15/12
It's actually the name of a constellation. Looks like a big W in the sky.

Tony Calguire

Jun 15, 2012, 8:08:09 PM6/15/12
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote in news:anim8rfsk-A1AC15.14254915062012
@news.easynews.com:

> In the BSG pilot, Cassiopeia was a whore, and the people would mutter
> "dirty socialator" when she skanked past them.

Some of us heard that as "social aider".

Icebreaker

Jun 15, 2012, 8:48:40 PM6/15/12

"Tony Calguire" <calg...@tcfreenet.invalid> wrote in message
http://en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Socialator

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 8:59:09 PM6/15/12
In article <jrgip9$3rd$1...@dont-email.me>,
Huh. Interesting.

Google, google ...

Well, it seems to have gone down in history as socilator:

Socialator - Battlestar Wiki
en.battlestarwiki.org/wiki/Socialator
Mar 9, 2009 ­ A socialator is a 4000 yahren old profession sanctified by
the "elders", wherein a person obliges the desires of others. In other
words, it's a ...

Pilot (1978) - Trivia - IMDb
www.imdb.com/title/tt0077215/trivia
The euphemism "socialator" was used (in the Battlestar Gallactica
universe, a socialator is defined as a female who is proficient in the
arts of music, dance and ...

anim8rFSK

Jun 15, 2012, 9:00:41 PM6/15/12
In article <jrgg0q$rq7$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
Cassieopia's Socialator Dress

www.kobol.com/costumes/c01.html
Cassiopeia's Socialator Dress. This dress was worn by Laurette Spang as
" Cassiopeia" in the pilot episode from the time her character is first
encountered by ...

pkj...@aol.com

Jun 15, 2012, 11:58:36 PM6/15/12
What about the EZ STREETS theme by Mark Isham? Prolly nobody but me
remembers the show, but I thought the theme was absolutely brilliant.
It went above and beyond even the best television themes (I second the
ones you mentioned) into a piece of music that was a work of art.

Brian Thorn

Jun 16, 2012, 12:10:42 AM6/16/12
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 5:12:05 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
wrote:

Lots of great 1950s/1960s themes missing...

Bewitched

Bonanza

Get Smart

Gunsmoke

Hogan's Heroes

I Dream of Jeannie

Maverick

Star Trek

That Girl

The Twilight Zone

The Wild Wild West

And some great '70s themes...

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

The NBC Mystery Movie

The Rockford Files

The Six Million Dollar Man

Taxi

The Waltons

WKRP In Cincinatti

The '80s were the start of the decline, but there were a few...

L.A. Law

Quantum Leap

St. Elsewhere

The '90s went off a cliff, but still a few bucked the trend...

Mad About You

The Nanny

Northern Exposure

Star Trek: Voyager

The West Wing

The 2000s are almost non-existent, but we did get...

The Big Bang Theory

Eureka

Fringe

Monk

- Brian

Brian Thorn

Jun 16, 2012, 12:13:23 AM6/16/12
On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 13:13:28 GMT, Hunter <buffh...@my-deja.com>
(Hunter) wrote:

>On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 19:20:57 -0700, BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>In article <jrdnp6$3b0$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the greatest TV theme song of all time?
>>
>>Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.
>------
>The only good thing about the original "Battlestar Galactica". :-)

Well, they had Jane Seymour and let her get away.

Brian

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 16, 2012, 1:06:25 AM6/16/12
pkj...@aol.com wrote:

>What about the EZ STREETS theme by Mark Isham? Prolly nobody but me
>remembers the show, but I thought the theme was absolutely brilliant.
>It went above and beyond even the best television themes (I second the
>ones you mentioned) into a piece of music that was a work of art.

I remember. Good call.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 16, 2012, 1:07:46 AM6/16/12
fwiw, I listened to the Dallas theme song from the old series and new.
The new series uses a similar arrangement, but the disco beats are gone.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 16, 2012, 1:12:45 AM6/16/12
Brian Thorn <btho...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

>Lots of great 1950s/1960s themes missing...

>I Dream of Jeannie

The first season theme was different. I preferred it.

>The Rockford Files

Season 2 and 3 arrangement. Season 1 arrangement is off-putting; it's
just repeated.

>Northern Exposure

Ah. Great theme.

>Star Trek: Voyager

About the only thing good on that show.

>Eureka

Sure would be nice to hear it on the show.

>Fringe

That does have a good theme.

>Monk

First season only! There is no other theme.

chicagofan

Jun 16, 2012, 5:07:45 PM6/16/12
pkj...@aol.com wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 06:47:32 +0000 (UTC), Tony Calguire
> <calg...@tcfreenet.invalid> wrote:
>> BTR1701<atr...@mac.com> wrote in news:atropos-D8F726.19205714062012@news-
>> europe.giganews.com:
>>> Original 'Battlestar Galactica'. Hands down.
>> Ooh, that's a good choice, too.
>>
>> I should have mentioned Mike Post's Magnum theme and Hill Street Blues
>> theme too when I brought up The Rockford Files.

Amen... :)

>> And I gotta submit "Love Is All Around" for consideration (the "You're
>> Gonna", version, not the "You Might Just" version).
> What about the EZ STREETS theme by Mark Isham? Prolly nobody but me
> remembers the show, but I thought the theme was absolutely brilliant.
> It went above and beyond even the best television themes (I second the
> ones you mentioned) into a piece of music that was a work of art.

I remember "EZ Streets" and liked it, as well as the theme, but have to confess I can't recall the music now, as I can
some of the above. Wish I could...
bj

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Brian Thorn

Jun 17, 2012, 1:58:50 PM6/17/12
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:11:50 GMT, Der Fuzzster <Der_...@fuzzy.com>
wrote:

>> The '80s were the start of the decline, but there were a few...

>The decline started loooooooooong before that!1970 to be exact.

Wayyy too many great '70s theme songs for that to be true:

All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, NBC Mystery Movie,
Kojak, The Waltons, Dallas, The Rockford Files, Taxi, Sanford & Son,
Battlestar Galactica, Dallas, SWAT, Barney Miller, The Six Million
Dollar Man, Baa Baa Black Sheep...

The '80s pale in comparison, hence I claim that was the start of the
decline. And even then, it is mostly late-'80s that fade out. There
were still some great early '80s themes...

Hill Street Blues, Magnum PI, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, Family Ties,
Greatest American Hero, Moonlighting, Newhart.

The late '80s seem to be most noteworthy for shows using period tunes
as their themes, a'la China Beach, Tour of Duty, and Wonder Years.

>> The '90s went off a cliff, but still a few bucked the trend...
>
>Not really....
>
>> The Nanny
>
>Really? ? ? Love Fran Drescher... but that tune.. while it can stick in
>your crawl... BEST TV theme..... I don't think so.

"The Nanny Named Fran" is a GREAT throwback to the 1960's "set up"
themes, a'la Gilligan's Island or Brady Bunch. It is probably the last
of its kind and certainly deserves nomination.

>> Star Trek: Voyager

>NO such thing. Star Trek ran in the 60's. End. Full Stop. Period!

It was Jerry Goldsmith's and it won an Emmy. Ignore at your own loss.

Brian

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 2:44:44 PM6/17/12
Der Fuzzster <Der_...@fuzzy.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 00:11:57 +0000, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>>>Beverly Hills 90210

>>I don't remember this one.

>Oh come on, seriously, I don't buy that for a minute.

>I know it and I was not alive when this aired first run, geez, its a
>staple of reruns, syndication etc...

>good gawd now that tune will be stuck in my brain all week...

There is a lot of absolute shit television that even I won't watch.
I never watched this show. I never watched the remake.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 2:47:17 PM6/17/12
Brian Thorn <btho...@suddenlink.net> wrote:
>On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 14:11:50 GMT, Der Fuzzster <Der_...@fuzzy.com> wrote:

>>>The '80s were the start of the decline, but there were a few...

>>The decline started loooooooooong before that!1970 to be exact.

>Wayyy too many great '70s theme songs for that to be true:

>All in the Family, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, NBC Mystery Movie,
>Kojak, The Waltons, Dallas, The Rockford Files, Taxi, Sanford & Son,
>Battlestar Galactica, Dallas, SWAT, Barney Miller, The Six Million
>Dollar Man, Baa Baa Black Sheep...

Glad you mentioned The Bob Newhart Show. I was thinking about it when
someone else posted about Mary Tyler Moore. That was a terrific theme song,
rousing even.

Professor Bubba

Jun 17, 2012, 3:14:53 PM6/17/12
In article <jrl8is$u0r$3...@news.albasani.net>, Adam H. Kerman
That makes two of us. I've never watched 90210, in any flavor, not
even for a minute. At least I have no idea how the theme song went.

anim8rFSK

Jun 17, 2012, 4:53:46 PM6/17/12
In article <170620121514531026%bu...@nowhere.edu.invalid>,
I thought I'd summoned it, but it turns out I'm hearing Knots Landing ..
Message has been deleted

Sarah B

Jun 17, 2012, 10:23:19 PM6/17/12
What? No 'Doctor Who'?

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 17, 2012, 11:09:01 PM6/17/12
Sarah B <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:

>What? No 'Doctor Who'?

Ron Grainer's theme is minimalist, though effective. The fully orchestrated
versions for the revived series are weird. In the Christopher Eccleston and
David Tennant years, it sounded a bit like the theme from the later Jon
Pertwee and early Tom Baker years, if they'd hired a full orchestra.

Matt Smith's theme has a few radio sound effects added, which are
a bit fun.

He wrote The Prisoner theme, too. It's better.

Jeremy

Jun 18, 2012, 9:01:47 PM6/18/12
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 12:58:50 -0500, Brian Thorn
<btho...@suddenlink.net> wrote:

>The '80s pale in comparison, hence I claim that was the start of the
>decline. And even then, it is mostly late-'80s that fade out. There
>were still some great early '80s themes...
>
>Hill Street Blues, Magnum PI, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, Family Ties,
>Greatest American Hero, Moonlighting, Newhart.

Growing Pains ("As long as we got each other, we got the world
spinning right in our hands")

Perfect Strangers ("Standing tall, on the wings of my dream")

Silver Spoons ("Together, we're gonna find our way")

The Paper Chase ("Then one day, we'll all say: Hey look, we've come
through the first years)

Micky DuPree

Jun 26, 2012, 1:12:38 AM6/26/12
"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

> The Lonely Man is my favorite tv theme.

I love that one too. Also _Kolchak: The Night Stalker_ (mournful
french horn over ominous bass line, and I never could nail the time
signature in my head) and _Barnaby Jones_ (great theme, shame about the
show).

-Micky

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 26, 2012, 1:32:06 AM6/26/12
Micky DuPree <MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:

>>The Lonely Man is my favorite tv theme.

>I love that one too. Also _Kolchak: The Night Stalker_ (mournful
>french horn over ominous bass line, and I never could nail the time
>signature in my head)

I forgot Kolchak! Good call. It starts out with the whistler.

>and _Barnaby Jones_ (great theme, shame about the show).

And Jerry Goldsmith's Police Story closing theme, which sounds similar.
(Actually, he wrote 'em both.)

Except for the theme, Barnaby Jones was unwatchable.

Did anyone mention Dave Grusin's It Takes a Thief? I much prefer the version
for Season 2.

BTR1701

Jun 26, 2012, 1:37:29 AM6/26/12
Micky DuPree <MDu...@theworld.com.snip.to.reply> wrote:
> "Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> writes:
>
>> The Lonely Man is my favorite tv theme.
>
> I love that one too. Also _Kolchak: The Night Stalker_

Oh! Definitely. I totally forgot about that one. Awesome theme song.

> (mournful french horn over ominous bass line, and I never could nail the time
> signature in my head)

I used to have the score to it. I'll dig through my sheet music and see if
I can find it and solve your mystery for you.

I had similar problems with Carpenter's 'Halloween' theme. I could play it
on the piano easily enough, but I could never figure out the time
signature/rhythm notation of the piece.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 26, 2012, 2:42:26 AM6/26/12
Did anyone mention

I Spy, great theme song. Extremely clever teasers, with Robert Culp's
eyes and brow.

I assume someone mentioned Mission: Impossible and The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

I suppose The Virginian doesn't count, as that was written for the movie.

Steve Newport

Jun 26, 2012, 2:56:23 AM6/26/12
GREEN ACRES had the best.

*********************************

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 30, 2012, 3:35:23 PM6/30/12
On 6/15/2012 10:12 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

>> Monk
>
> First season only! There is no other theme.

AGREED!!!

Car...@aol.com

Jun 30, 2012, 3:42:52 PM6/30/12
Just caught this thread and can't believe this one's not been mentioned yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paAIbMKb7eY

John L

Arthur Lipscomb

Jun 30, 2012, 5:15:02 PM6/30/12
On 6/17/2012 8:09 PM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> Sarah B <sarah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What? No 'Doctor Who'?
>
> Ron Grainer's theme is minimalist, though effective. The fully orchestrated
> versions for the revived series are weird. In the Christopher Eccleston and
> David Tennant years, it sounded a bit like the theme from the later Jon
> Pertwee and early Tom Baker years, if they'd hired a full orchestra.

I preferred the late Tom Baker/early Peter Davison theme.