Hallmark Channel Set to Premiere Hanukkah Movies for First Time

Ubiquitous

Nov 20, 2019, 3:18:00 PM11/20/19
JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
Wednesday.

"Our audience is very vocal, and they tell us when they'd like to see
more of something," said Michelle Vicary, Crown Media's executive vice
president of programming. "We've heard over the years that they would
like to see [a Hanukkah movie] if a script came in that we liked. And
that happened this year-twice."

The first film, "Holiday Date," airs on Dec. 14 and follows Brooke, a
woman who experiences a breakup shortly before a trip to introduce her
boyfriend to her family for Christmas. She instead goes home with Joel,
a Jewish actor who will pose as her boyfriend Since he has never
celebrated Christmas, drama, of course, ensues.

"Unfortunately, they have not discussed if he knows all the
traditions," said Vicary. "As the family becomes more suspicious
whether he knows how to celebrate, our two leads begin to fall for each
other."

The second Hanukkah movie, "Double Holiday," airs on Dec. 22. It's
about a Jewish woman named Rebecca whose Hanukkah plans are disrupted
when her boss asks her to team up with her rival to plan their office
holiday party together.

Vicary said about the characters, "They learn that while the traditions
and celebrations are different, the feelings of holiday and celebration
and family and togetherness are the same."

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

Barry Margolin

Nov 21, 2019, 11:36:16 AM11/21/19
In article <Wb6dnQveN9_yAkjA...@giganews.com>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
> themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
> which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
> Wednesday.
>
> "Our audience is very vocal, and they tell us when they'd like to see
> more of something," said Michelle Vicary, Crown Media's executive vice
> president of programming. "We've heard over the years that they would
> like to see [a Hanukkah movie] if a script came in that we liked. And
> that happened this year-twice."
>
> The first film, "Holiday Date," airs on Dec. 14 and follows Brooke, a
> woman who experiences a breakup shortly before a trip to introduce her
> boyfriend to her family for Christmas. She instead goes home with Joel,
> a Jewish actor who will pose as her boyfriend Since he has never
> celebrated Christmas, drama, of course, ensues.
>
> "Unfortunately, they have not discussed if he knows all the
> traditions," said Vicary. "As the family becomes more suspicious
> whether he knows how to celebrate, our two leads begin to fall for each
> other."

What a silly premise. It's practically impossible to live in the US and
not be inundated by all the Christian traditions, even if you don't
participate yourself.

I'm Jewish, but I've helped friends trim their Xmas trees and make
gingerbread houses, sung in "Messiah" sing-a-longs, watched "It's a
Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Story", and all the Scrooge variations
dozens of times, painted Easter eggs (it's just a fun art project). When
I was in school bands we played all the standard carols, and I know all
the words to "12 Days of Xmas".

I just haven't done any of the religious stuff, like midnight mass. But
Christmas has become almost a secular holiday.

--
Barry Margolin
Arlington, MA

Ian J. Ball

Nov 21, 2019, 11:59:42 AM11/21/19
On 2019-11-20 16:33:45 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

> JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
> themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
> which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
> Wednesday.

I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

>:/

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 1:05:37 PM11/21/19
Both traditions are based upon Jewish myths involving Jews trying to kill other Jews. If we can make money during the celebrations, I say let the holidays begin !

https://billygraham.org/answer/why-did-king-herod-try-to-kill-jesus-shortly-after-his-birth-after-all-what-difference-could-a-tin/

https://www.myjewishlearning.com/article/the-maccabean-revolt/

------------

Remember that we suffered ... but never pay full retail !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLNa-ocdryY

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 1:53:08 PM11/21/19
I've done midnight mass, and I'm an atheist. I even took communion because,
cute girl.

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 1:54:00 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:59:38 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-11-20 16:33:45 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>
> > JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
> > themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
> > which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
> > Wednesday.
>
> I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!
>
> > > /

I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 2:13:54 PM11/21/19
In 80's I went holy-roller evangelical rock-n-roll service with cute girl from laundry mat. When it was her turn she reneged on temple visit. Needless to say, I didn't get laid, but their music is better than ours, LOL

Since then, I've gone agnostic ... no sex and no religion ... too

-----------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww

Dimensional Traveler

Nov 21, 2019, 2:16:57 PM11/21/19
And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D

--
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?"

BTR1701

Nov 21, 2019, 2:19:54 PM11/21/19
The girl you attended with or the one handing out the wafers?

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 2:34:25 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:13:51 -0700
heh

> Since then, I've gone agnostic ... no sex and no religion ... too
>
> -----------------
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOgFZfRVaww

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 2:35:49 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:16:53 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
wrote:

> On 11/21/2019 10:53 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:36:09 -0700 Barry Margolin<bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> >

> > > I just haven't done any of the religious stuff, like midnight mass. But
> > > Christmas has become almost a secular holiday.
> >
> > I've done midnight mass, and I'm an atheist. I even took communion because,
> > cute girl.
> And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D

Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!

I used to cut up the Holsum Bread and pour the Welch's Grape Juice for (non
Catholic) communion when I was a kid.
It would have never occurred to me Catholics actually took this *seriously*

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 2:36:26 PM11/21/19
The one I met there sitting by me.

Pew pew pew!

danny burstein

Nov 21, 2019, 2:44:18 PM11/21/19
In <qr6nr2$f90$1...@dont-email.me> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> writes:

>On 11/21/2019 10:53 AM, anim8rfsk wrote:
>> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:36:09 -0700 Barry Margolin<bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>>

>>> I just haven't done any of the religious stuff, like midnight mass. But
>>> Christmas has become almost a secular holiday.
>>
>> I've done midnight mass, and I'm an atheist. I even took communion because,
>> cute girl.
>>
>And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D

Just remember what happened to Zero Mostel when he was
similarly transfixed by a gal with a hot ass in "The Front".

dan...@panix.com

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 2:53:48 PM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 2:35:49 PM UTC-5, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:16:53 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
> wrote:

> > > I've done midnight mass, and I'm an atheist. I even took communion because,
> > > cute girl.
> > And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D
>
> Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!

> I used to cut up the Holsum Bread and pour the Welch's Grape Juice for (non
> Catholic) communion when I was a kid.
> It would have never occurred to me Catholics actually took this *seriously*

You haven't experienced fire and brimstone until a true believer sees you light up a doobee rolled in a page from the Torah.

Yeah, they take it seriously.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 21, 2019, 3:27:48 PM11/21/19
On 2019-11-21 18:53:56 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:59:38 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-11-20 16:33:45 +0000, Ubiquitous said:
>>
>>> JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
>>> themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
>>> which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
>>> Wednesday.
>>
>> I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

> I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?

Shiri Appleby could easily do a Hallmark flick, and be great at it.

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 21, 2019, 3:36:18 PM11/21/19
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>Thu, 21 Nov 2019 09:59:38 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>>On 2019-11-20 16:33:45 +0000, Ubiquitous said:

>>>JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
>>>themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
>>>which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
>>>Wednesday.

>>I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

>I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?

I am far more entertained when Christians are cast to play Jewish
characters.

I have to agree with Margolin on this one.

Can I just explain once again that Hanukkah, despite falling around the
same time of the year, is NOT the Jewish equivalent of Christmas? I'm
sure it's the Jewish holiday that mime would despise the most as it
commemorates a specific religious movement and start of political power
of a family who had some victories over the Romans. It's not a holiday
mentioned in the Bible as the Bible was "closed". It's Apocrypha generally
to most Protestant traditions, although Catholic and Christian Orthodox
traditions include I and II Maccabees. III and IV Maccabees are included
in the Christian Orthodox bible. The miracle is in I Maccabees.

For those who don't know about the religious stuff, here's my brief
lecture.

Due to Hellenic competition, Soloman built a great Temple. With a Temple,
you get priests and Temple-based rituals. The Temple was of course
destroyed, rebuilt, then destroyed again. It's Western Wall remains.
Centuries later, Muslims, in an attempt to force Jews to convert, built
their holy site on top of the ruins.

Pre-Christians, the people who wrote the Dead Sea Scrolls, rejected any
Temple-based religion. These people would eventually find some crazy Jew
to be their saviour...

Since the time of Alexander the Great, and periods in which the region
were either ruled from Egypt or from the east by the Seleucids, Hellenic
influence was seen as an attempt to incorporate if not purge Judaism.

The Maccabees were essentually leading guerrilla fighters to break off
and take control of Judea from the failing Seleucid Empire, and ran the
place for 13 decades, 5 of which as a fully independent kingdom. They
wanted Judaism purged of all Hellenistic influences; there were forced
conversions and destruction of idolatry and, ouch, circumcisions.

The war started because Antiochus, the Seleucid ruler, forbid Jewish
religious practice.

Antiochus would send another army to put down the Maccabees, but his
death ended Seleucide efforts to stamp out Judaism.

Here's the ironic bit: the Maccabees entered the Second Temple, rededicated
it, and installed their own High Priest. The miracle Hannukah celebrates
is that oil for the menorah (candleabra) used in the rededication that
should have lasted for a day instead lasted for eight days.

This was 164 BC. Rome intervened in 63 BC; the Maccabee state was no
longer independent. The dynasty fell when Rome installed Herod in 37
BCE.

Of course, Christianity began despite Herod, with the further irony that
Rome Christianized by Hellenizing Christianity and making it the state
religion, exactly what the pre-Christians never wanted.

In the meantime, toward the end of the Second Temple period and the
conflict between Sadducees, who wanted relgious and political power
centered on the Temple, and the Pharisees, from which Rabbinical Judaism
originated. Rome destroyed the Second Temple in the year 70 AD, and the
Sadducee movement became defunct. Rome did Judaism a favor as the
possibility of an episcopacy was eliminated.

For all those Christians who condemn all Jews for the killing of Jesus
Christ, no you idiots, what the Jews are entirely responsible for is the
origin of Christianity because Judaism had become too Hellenized. Thanks
to the Romans, Christianity became exactly what the pre-Christians had
rejected in Judaism.

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 3:48:05 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:53:44 -0700
lol

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 3:51:22 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:27:44 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-11-21 18:53:56 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> > > I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

> > I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?
>
> Shiri Appleby could easily do a Hallmark flick, and be great at it.

https://drunkenstepfather.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Shiri-Appleby-
Pregnant.jpg

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 3:54:53 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 13:36:15 -0700 Adam H. Kerman<a...@chinet.com> wrote:

> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> > > I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

> > I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?
>
> I am far more entertained when Christians are cast to play Jewish
> characters.

Remember when Debra Messing was doing press for the 1999 JESUS mini-series,
and said that as a Jewess she was was uncomfortable playing a Christian like
Mary Magdalene?
:)

Adam H. Kerman

Nov 21, 2019, 4:20:43 PM11/21/19
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>>I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?

>>I am far more entertained when Christians are cast to play Jewish
>>characters. . . .

>Remember when Debra Messing was doing press for the 1999 JESUS mini-series,
>and said that as a Jewess she was was uncomfortable playing a Christian like
>Mary Magdalene?

Only from you making fun of her on Usenet. Like most actors who aren't
likely to say anything interesting without a good script, I pay as
little attention as possible.

I'm still waiting for Jesus to come back in the sequel. Will there still
be television after the Christian apocolypse?

Jim G.

Nov 21, 2019, 4:31:55 PM11/21/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 1:35 PM:
> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:16:53 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
> wrote:

>>> I've done midnight mass, and I'm an atheist. I even took communion because,
>>> cute girl.
>> And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D
>
> Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!

The cute girl in question didn't try to dissuade you?

"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 4:54:33 PM11/21/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:31:52 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 1:35 PM:
> > Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:16:53 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
> > wrote:

> > > And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D
> >
> > Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!
>
> The cute girl in question didn't try to dissuade you?

No, she took it too. I guess everybody else had done confession earlier.

moviePig

Nov 21, 2019, 6:16:09 PM11/21/19
You could've confessed your omission as you were taking communion.

It'd have been like shampoo-plus-conditioner...

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 8:02:09 PM11/21/19
Yes Virginia, there will be TeeVee in heaven. It will be one channel playing 24/7 for all eternity of reruns of Davy & Goliath.

danny burstein

Nov 21, 2019, 8:09:37 PM11/21/19
In <b8379863-d6c3-4556...@googlegroups.com> thinbl...@gmail.com writes:

[snip]

>> I'm still waiting for Jesus to come back in the sequel. Will there still
>> be television after the Christian apocolypse?

>Yes Virginia, there will be TeeVee in heaven. It will be one channel
>playing 24/7 for all eternity of reruns of Davy & Goliath.

Don't forget all those episodes of "Insight" (some of which were
decent enough, and had _lots_ of actors who were, or later
became, tops in the field).

Speaking of D&V, there was a Mountain Dew commercial
that yes, used those characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zVg7vMdmg

anim8rfsk

Nov 21, 2019, 8:18:35 PM11/21/19
hee hee

except I didn't know about confession. The generic white bread (hah!) church
I went to just handed out the dough and grape juice.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 8:19:34 PM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 8:09:37 PM UTC-5, danny burstein wrote:
> In <b8379863-d6c3-4556...@googlegroups.com> thinbl...@gmail.com writes:
>
> [snip]
>
> >> I'm still waiting for Jesus to come back in the sequel. Will there still
> >> be television after the Christian apocolypse?
>
> >Yes Virginia, there will be TeeVee in heaven. It will be one channel
> >playing 24/7 for all eternity of reruns of Davy & Goliath.
>
> Don't forget all those episodes of "Insight" (some of which were
> decent enough, and had _lots_ of actors who were, or later
> became, tops in the field).

> Speaking of D&V, there was a Mountain Dew commercial
> that yes, used those characters:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94zVg7vMdmg

Mountain Dew? Sacrebleu !

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 8:41:54 PM11/21/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 3:36:18 PM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >>I love how they don't even tell us who friggin' *stars* in the two flicks!!

> >I don't think there are any Jewish actors in Hollywood, are there?
>
> I am far more entertained when Christians are cast to play Jewish
> characters.
>
> I have to agree with Margolin on this one.
>
> Can I just explain once again that Hanukkah, despite falling around the
> same time of the year, is NOT the Jewish equivalent of Christmas? I'm
> sure it's the Jewish holiday that mime would despise the most as it
> commemorates a specific religious movement and start of political power
> of a family who had some victories over the Romans.

My credo is the same as Jesus of Nazareth ... and the CIA:

"And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you free."

Only difference is ... I interpret it literally.

https://www.cia.gov/++theme++contextual.agencytheme/images/tour/showcase/ohb/bible/image01-lg.jpg

--------------------

The Real History Of Hanukkah Is More Complicated Than You Thought

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/real-history-of-hanukkah_n_585ea38ae4b0d9a594587fd3

The Horny Goat

Nov 21, 2019, 9:33:55 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 12:35:45 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net>
wrote:

>> And you wonder why the crazies love you so much. :D
>
>Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!
>
>I used to cut up the Holsum Bread and pour the Welch's Grape Juice for (non
>Catholic) communion when I was a kid.
>It would have never occurred to me Catholics actually took this *seriously*

Certainly in the Protestant church I grew up in there never was any
belief in a literal act of transubstantiation (i.e. turning into the
real body and blood of Jesus Christ) but rather that when we did the
communion we were acting in obedience to the command to "do this as
oft as you drink this in memory of me" and that we were to go on doing
so at regular (the exact scheduled was unspecified - but of those I
attended some congregations did it weekly others monthly) ) intervals
"until the coming of the Lord".

(The other rule was that if one "drank unworthily" you were in trouble
with God but it was not the place of men or women to say thta to each
other0

No questiion it was treated as a Holy Thing (tm) but not as a
miraculous Holy Thing

I think it goes without saying that no matter what wing of the
Christian church one belongs to obedience to the commands of "God the
Father" and Jesus Christ figure prominantly in what you're supposed to
do.

The Horny Goat

Nov 21, 2019, 9:35:14 PM11/21/19
On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 11:53:44 -0800 (PST), thinbl...@gmail.com
wrote:

>You haven't experienced fire and brimstone until a true believer sees you light up a doobee rolled in a page from the Torah.
>
>Yeah, they take it seriously.

Would it be less bad if you used a Koran for that purpose? I highly
think not.

Jim G.

Nov 21, 2019, 9:56:46 PM11/21/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 3:54 PM:
> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:31:52 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 1:35 PM:

>>> Hey, nobody told me I wasn't supposed to!
>>
>> The cute girl in question didn't try to dissuade you?
>
> No, she took it too.

Was SHE Catholic?

> I guess everybody else had done confession earlier.

Not a bad idea.

thinbl...@gmail.com

Nov 21, 2019, 9:56:50 PM11/21/19
I think 'compassion' should be the ruling principle, and 'do unto others as you would have them to do unto you'.

Gentle, compassionate offenses to reveal the truth are justified when appropriate.

I want my fellow humans, ALL OF HUMANITY, to be free, in all forms. A lofty aspiration, like 'love' even when it doesn't always feel good.

anim8rfsk

Nov 22, 2019, 12:07:13 AM11/22/19
Thu, 21 Nov 2019 19:56:42 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 3:54 PM:
> > Thu, 21 Nov 2019 14:31:52 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> > > anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 1:35 PM:

> > > The cute girl in question didn't try to dissuade you?
> >
> > No, she took it too.
>
> Was SHE Catholic?

I think only two of us ('us' not including 'her') weren't. Midnight mass on
Xmas eve?

RichA

Nov 22, 2019, 12:13:57 AM11/22/19
On Thursday, 21 November 2019 11:36:16 UTC-5, Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <Wb6dnQveN9_yAkjA...@giganews.com>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > JNS.org - The Hallmark Channel will premiere its first two Hanukkah-
> > themed movies next month in honor of the eight-day Jewish holiday,
> > which this year starts on Dec. 22, the New York Post reported on
> > Wednesday.
> >
> > "Our audience is very vocal, and they tell us when they'd like to see
> > more of something," said Michelle Vicary, Crown Media's executive vice
> > president of programming. "We've heard over the years that they would
> > like to see [a Hanukkah movie] if a script came in that we liked. And
> > that happened this year-twice."
> >
> > The first film, "Holiday Date," airs on Dec. 14 and follows Brooke, a
> > woman who experiences a breakup shortly before a trip to introduce her
> > boyfriend to her family for Christmas. She instead goes home with Joel,
> > a Jewish actor who will pose as her boyfriend Since he has never
> > celebrated Christmas, drama, of course, ensues.
> >
> > "Unfortunately, they have not discussed if he knows all the
> > traditions," said Vicary. "As the family becomes more suspicious
> > whether he knows how to celebrate, our two leads begin to fall for each
> > other."
>
> What a silly premise. It's practically impossible to live in the US and
> not be inundated by all the Christian traditions, even if you don't
> participate yourself.
>
> I'm Jewish, but I've helped friends trim their Xmas trees and make
> gingerbread houses, sung in "Messiah" sing-a-longs, watched "It's a
> Wonderful Life", "A Christmas Story", and all the Scrooge variations
> dozens of times, painted Easter eggs (it's just a fun art project). When
> I was in school bands we played all the standard carols, and I know all
> the words to "12 Days of Xmas".
>
> I just haven't done any of the religious stuff, like midnight mass. But
> Christmas has become almost a secular holiday.

It's a money holiday so yeah, everyone will want in. The only difference I see when it comes to holidays is that Third Worlders don't hand-out candy on Halloween, since that would cost money. I pity trick r' treaters in some parts of Toronto.

Jim G.

Nov 22, 2019, 2:40:13 PM11/22/19
anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 11:07 PM:
> Thu, 21 Nov 2019 19:56:42 -0700 Jim G.<jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:
>
>> anim8rfsk sent the following on 11/21/19 at 3:54 PM:

>>> No, she took it too.
>>
>> Was SHE Catholic?
>
> I think only two of us ('us' not including 'her') weren't. Midnight mass on
> Xmas eve?

Okay, that makes sense. It was sounding like it was possible that she
wasn't a Catholic, either, which had me wondering why you guys didn't
have anything better to do together. In any case, she DEFINITELY should
have discouraged you. No gold star for her.

hanc...@bbs.cpcn.com

Nov 22, 2019, 2:53:44 PM11/22/19
On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 3:36:18 PM UTC-5, Adam H. Kerman wrote:

> I am far more entertained when Christians are cast to play Jewish
> characters.

I remain amazed at the great job Valerie Harper and Nancy
Walker did playing Rhoda and her mother.

Ubiquitous

Dec 4, 2019, 3:23:30 PM12/4/19

In article <qr6v33$vkd$1...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:
>anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>>Remember when Debra Messing was doing press for the 1999 JESUS mini-series,
>>and said that as a Jewess she was was uncomfortable playing a Christian
>>like Mary Magdalene?

Does she, perchance, think soap is a Christian thing?

>Only from you making fun of her on Usenet. Like most actors who aren't
>likely to say anything interesting without a good script, I pay as
>little attention as possible.
>
>I'm still waiting for Jesus to come back in the sequel. Will there still
>be television after the Christian apocolypse?

I remember seeing a movie poster for one in National Lampoon magazine several
decades ago, but I think there was an ep of Family Guy in which Peter and
Lois found a reel with Mel Gibson's sequel.

--
Watching Democrats come up with schemes to "catch Trump" is like
watching Wile E. Coyote trying to catch Road Runner.

suzeeq

Dec 4, 2019, 3:32:01 PM12/4/19
On 12/3/2019 07:36 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <qr6v33$vkd$1...@dont-email.me>, a...@chinet.com wrote:
>> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>> Remember when Debra Messing was doing press for the 1999 JESUS mini-series,
>>> and said that as a Jewess she was was uncomfortable playing a Christian
>>> like Mary Magdalene?
>
> Does she, perchance, think soap is a Christian thing?

And Mary Magelene started out as a jew anyway.

Ubiquitous

Dec 4, 2019, 4:50:04 PM12/4/19
In article <qs953t$il6$1...@news.albasani.net>, su...@imbris.com wrote:
>On 12/3/2019 07:36 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> a...@chinet.com wrote:

>> Does she, perchance, think soap is a Christian thing?
>
>And Mary Magelene started out as a jew anyway.

So did Jesus. ;-)

suzeeq

Dec 4, 2019, 5:28:13 PM12/4/19
On 12/4/2019 01:49 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> In article <qs953t$il6$1...@news.albasani.net>, su...@imbris.com wrote:

>>> Does she, perchance, think soap is a Christian thing?
>>
>> And Mary Magelene started out as a jew anyway.
>
> So did Jesus. ;-)

Of course, but he isn't in discussion here.