Paul Blackthorne on Arrow?

He is the Resurrection and the Light: The Rapacious Mr. Hole

Mar 15, 2013, 3:46:10 PM3/15/13
Does he have an inverted lisp, see Holly Hunter for an example, or really bad false teeth? He talks funny, yes?

caroline...@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2013, 2:20:10 AM11/7/13
It's super weird and annoying. However, aside from me, you're the only other person on the interwebs who wants to know why he's speaking this way. I don't remember him having this affectation on the Dresden Files.

RichA

Nov 7, 2013, 2:34:25 AM11/7/13
On Friday, March 15, 2013 3:46:10 PM UTC-4, He is the Resurrection and the Light: The Rapacious Mr. Hole wrote:
> Does he have an inverted lisp, see Holly Hunter for an example, or really bad false teeth? He talks funny, yes?

He's British. Either he has trouble with the American accent, or he had a small stroke. I seem to remember seeing him before without the issue.

Ian J. Ball

Nov 7, 2013, 9:29:31 AM11/7/13
In article <0be437ee-d131-4b2f...@googlegroups.com>,
He's trying to fake an American (NYC?) accent.

FTR, he's not as good at it as Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but he's certainly
better at it than Julia Ormond (who's *terrible* at faking an American
accent - even worse than Julian McMahon used to be!!).

--
"Surf-crazed aliens... Of course." - Amber, "Alien Surf Girls",
Episode #1.1, "Wipeout".

Hunter

Nov 7, 2013, 11:51:05 AM11/7/13
In article <0be437ee-d131-4b2f...@googlegroups.com>,
caroline...@gmail.com says...

> It's super weird and annoying. However, aside from me, you're the only other person on the interwebs who wants to know why he's speaking this way. I don't remember him having this affectation on the Dresden Files.
----
Maybe that is the accent the character is supposed to have?
--
----->Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

anim8rFSK

Nov 7, 2013, 9:58:23 AM11/7/13
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-BB2...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <0be437ee-d131-4b2f...@googlegroups.com>,
> caroline...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > It's super weird and annoying. However, aside from me, you're the only
> > other
> > person on the interwebs who wants to know why he's speaking this way. I
> > don't
> > remember him having this affectation on the Dresden Files.
>
> He's trying to fake an American (NYC?) accent.
>
> FTR, he's not as good at it as Jonathan Rhys Meyers, but he's certainly
> better at it than Julia Ormond (who's *terrible* at faking an American
> accent - even worse than Julian McMahon used to be!!).

I still want to know what idiot decided McMahon should fake an American
accent to play Victor Von Doom from Latveria ...

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

David Johnston

Nov 7, 2013, 1:15:12 PM11/7/13
Or you know, he's trying to fake an imaginary accent because his
character is an assassin from an imaginary country.

David Johnston

Nov 7, 2013, 1:19:45 PM11/7/13
He wasn't playing Victor Von Doom from Latveria. He was playing Victor
Van Damme.

http://marvel.com/universe/Doctor_Doom_%28Ultimate%29

Bill Steele

Nov 7, 2013, 1:30:53 PM11/7/13
Could it have something to do with the fact that he's playing an
alcoholic?

While we're here,has everyone noticed that every newscast refers to the
testing a a linear accelerator? I'm guessing Barry Allen will encounter
something other than lightning and chemicals, or hard water fumes. How
does one accidentally fall into a linear accelerator?

David Johnston

Nov 7, 2013, 2:57:12 PM11/7/13

eurip...@gmail.com

Feb 13, 2014, 6:42:14 PM2/13/14
On Thursday, November 7, 2013 12:20:10 AM UTC-7, caroline...@gmail.com wrote:
> It's super weird and annoying. However, aside from me, you're the only other person on the interwebs who wants to know why he's speaking this way. I don't remember him having this affectation on the Dresden Files.

I also want to know. I was wondering if he'd had some bad dental work - his American accent was perfect in Dresden files, and now in Arrow. It's that lisp - he holds his lips a little differently too, as though he's maybe wearing a dental appliance that sticks out farther than his natural teeth.

mayor....@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2014, 8:52:11 PM4/19/14
I have wondered this, too. Also noticed it with Chevie Chase on Community. My best guess is that they got veneers?

It seems so obvious, but no one else seems to notice.

thomasan...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2015, 9:39:54 AM4/18/15
Actually, no, I noticed too. And I'm happy people are talking about it. I want it to be a trending topic someday. This lisp is super annoying. Definitely with the teeth, whether false or veneers. Not sure, haven't watched him before on any show but this is like, the character too. It's just all too annoying. And what is up with Brian Markinson in EVERY show I have watched lately, back top back just about (i.e. 1st I saw him in Continuum, then Caprica, now Arrow, and I feel like he's been in other parts too. And it's so confusing and weird seeing him & all of the dump offs and cast aways from other Sci-Fi shows that went down or that I liked but didn't continue or that were just good and now they crossed over hahahah?! But that, lisp. It really has to stop.