What is a 'sound byte'?

John Beaudin

Jul 31, 1990, 4:23:32 PM7/31/90
Please attempt to explain the derivation of the phrase.
--
My .signature is awaiting apropriate display technology

amy lanning

Aug 1, 1990, 10:34:35 AM8/1/90
In article <13...@beaudin.UUCP>, jo...@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
> Please attempt to explain the derivation of the phrase.

A sound byte is a term used in TV to refer to part or all of a videotaped quote
from someone. For example, in a national newscast an anchor may refer
to a speech that President Bush has made that day, then follow his comments
with a sound byte from Bush's speech (video where you actually hear Bush
presenting part of that speech). I think the "byte" part of the phrase
refers to the ability to get across as much information as possible using
as few words as possible. Most people in the national spotlight know that
the media (TV especially) is hungry for quick bits of information to feed
to its viewers, and will attempt to "play to the camera" (IMHO) by providing
a few choice sentences that can easily end up as a sound byte on a
nightly newscast.

* A.M. Lanning amyl@cbnews AT&T BELL LABORATORIES *
* Disclaimer: AT&T doesn't take me seriously, so you shouldn't either. *

David Dick

Aug 9, 1990, 7:11:36 PM8/9/90

>In article <13...@beaudin.UUCP>, jo...@beaudin.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:
>> Please attempt to explain the derivation of the phrase.

>A sound byte is a term used in TV to refer to part or all of a videotaped quote
>from someone.

That's sound *bite*...

David Dick
Software Innovations Inc. [the Software Moving Company(sm)]