NBC picks up Spielberg's Broadway-themed drama pilot

David

Jan 21, 2011, 6:52:17 PM1/21/11
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/nbc-picks-up-2-pilots-including-hourlong-musical-from-steven-spielberg/

NBC Picks Up 2 Pilots, Including Hourlong Musical From Steven
Spielberg
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

New NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt is putting his stamp
on the network's development with a pilot order for a project he
originally developed while at Showtime. NBC just greenlighted Smash, a
one-hour musical series about the mounting of a Broadway musical based
on an idea by Steven Spielberg. The pilot, which will be produced by
DreamWorks TV and Universal Media Studios, follows a cross section of
characters who come together to put on a Broadway musical. TV
writer-producer and playwright Theresa Rebeck wrote the script and is
executive producing with Spielberg, Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey of
DreamWorks TV, Hairspray producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron and
Grammy and Tony-winning songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman who
will pen original songs for the show. Negotiations are underway for
Michael Mayer (American Idiot) to direct. Smash joins an expansive
slate at DreamWorks TV, which includes 4 series, including the
upcoming The Borgias on Showtime and Terra Nova on Fox.

Also greenlighted to pilot at NBC is the comedy spec I Hate That I
Love You, from Will & Grace alumna Jhoni Marchinko and 20th Century
Fox TV. It is described as a twisty single-camera romantic comedy in
which a straight couple introduces two of its lesbian friends to one
another and what results is both instant attraction and a pregnancy.

Obveeus

Jan 21, 2011, 8:26:15 PM1/21/11

"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> New NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt is putting his stamp
> on the network's development with a pilot order for a project he
> originally developed while at Showtime. NBC just greenlighted Smash, a
> one-hour musical series about the mounting of a Broadway musical based
> on an idea by Steven Spielberg.

This won't work for the resident Broadway fans as it has Speilberg's name on
it.

> The pilot, which will be produced by
> DreamWorks TV and Universal Media Studios, follows a cross section of
> characters who come together to put on a Broadway musical. TV
> writer-producer and playwright Theresa Rebeck wrote the script and is
> executive producing with Spielberg, Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey of
> DreamWorks TV, Hairspray producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron and
> Grammy and Tony-winning songwriters Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman who
> will pen original songs for the show.

This won't work for the resident Broadway fans as it has 'original music.
Meanwhile, the fact that they will attempt original music makes it much more
appealing, IMO.

> Also greenlighted to pilot at NBC is the comedy spec I Hate That I
> Love You, from Will & Grace alumna Jhoni Marchinko and 20th Century
> Fox TV. It is described as a twisty single-camera romantic comedy in
> which a straight couple introduces two of its lesbian friends to one
> another and what results is both instant attraction and a pregnancy.

TV's first 4-way?

David

Jan 21, 2011, 9:05:59 PM1/21/11
On Fri, 21 Jan 2011 20:26:15 -0500, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"David" <diml...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> New NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt is putting his stamp
>> on the network's development with a pilot order for a project he
>> originally developed while at Showtime. NBC just greenlighted Smash, a
>> one-hour musical series about the mounting of a Broadway musical based
>> on an idea by Steven Spielberg.
>
>This won't work for the resident Broadway fans as it has Speilberg's name on
>it.

I remember the "resident Broadway fan" saying he'll never watch
"Glee." He found the whole concept beneath him.

Obveeus

Jan 21, 2011, 9:07:09 PM1/21/11

I think he quit watching Glee when it became clear that they were going to
do mostly music from the last 30 years.

Steve Newport

Jan 22, 2011, 1:04:47 AM1/22/11
Songwriter Marc Shaiman is an old friend of mine. He was the pianist for
a musical stage production I directed in 1976. His writing style is
traditional Broadway and Retro 50's. So there is some hope for this.
P.S. I still despise David and Obveeus-- and wish them short, troubled
lives.

Steve Newport

Jan 22, 2011, 4:23:53 AM1/22/11
Speaking of GLEE, the Golden Globe to "gay kid" may be the most
undeserved award since George Chakiris won an Oscar for WEST SIDE STORY.

Obveeus

Jan 22, 2011, 8:30:36 AM1/22/11

"Steve Newport" <Newpor...@webtv.net> wrote in message

We love you too Steve.

Obveeus

Jan 22, 2011, 8:31:57 AM1/22/11

> Speaking of GLEE, the Golden Globe to "gay kid" may be the most
> undeserved award since George Chakiris won an Oscar for WEST SIDE STORY.

The 'comedy' awards they gave out to The Kids Are All Right were even less
deserving. Maybe next year the Globes can at least nominate some comedy
films in those categories?

Mason Barge

Jan 22, 2011, 11:07:59 AM1/22/11

I didn't realize anyone took the Golden Globes all that seriously, other
than those half-hour tv equivalents of "Us" Magazine that come on right
before real tv starts.

Steve Newport

Jan 22, 2011, 3:44:58 PM1/22/11
From: mason...@gmail.com (Mason Barge) I didn't realize anyone took

the Golden Globes all that seriously
SN: Some years, because of the comedy film categories, their choices are
more accurate. Most years the show itself is livelier than the Oscars.
This is also true of the SAG and Independent Spirit Awards broadcasts.
Already it looks like 7 of the 8 major categories are locks. The only
major Oscar contest would seem to be Bening vs. Portman.

Steve Newport

Jan 22, 2011, 8:50:36 PM1/22/11
By NELLIE ANDREEVA
New NBC entertainment chairman Robert Greenblatt is putting his stamp on
the network's development with a pilot order for a project he originally
developed while at Showtime. NBC just greenlighted Smash, a one-hour
musical series about a cross section of characters who come together to
put on a Broadway musical. Tony-winning songwriters Marc Shaiman and
Scott Wittman will pen original songs for the show. Negotiations are
underway for Michael Mayer to direct.
SN: Mayer may be busy directing a Broadway revival of ON A CLEAR DAY YOU
CAN SEE FOREVER starring Harry Connick, Jr.