What Did You Watch? 2014-08-22 (Friday)

Ubiquitous

Aug 23, 2014, 4:28:24 AM8/23/14
I watched:

STROKER AND HOOP:
"C.A.R.R. Trouble". C.A.R.R. becomes addicted to hand-washing at a
high-school charity car wash.

PARKS AND RECREATION:
Several eps.

What did you watch?

--
So to recap:
Iraq is imploding

Obveeus

Aug 23, 2014, 7:08:14 AM8/23/14

On 8/23/2014 4:28 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> What did you watch?

BREATHE IN: The hot blonde from HALT & CATCH FIRE has her first film
role here, along side Felicity Jones. If you imagine the title of this
film being said to you as a way to keep you calm and then further
imagine just how exciting breathing is, you have captured the action of
this film. The story played like a Lifetime movie, watered down for an
even more naive teen audience, I guess, to the point where I have no
idea who the target audience for this film was supposed to be. Maybe
Ian? In any case, the romance (man/woman) never made sense even though
both of the characters involved had every reason to need
someone/something in their lives. Meanwhile, hot blonde from HALT &
CATCH FIRE is relegated to a side role; one that could very well be a
prequel story to her later TV role and would explain why she uses men,
has daddy issues, and never progressed past adolescence.

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 23, 2014, 1:04:03 PM8/23/14

This will be a multi-day catch up.

I might be missing one or two but overall I watched:

The Knick - "The Busy Flea" - Mainly background noise.

The Almighty Johnsons - I watched a few minutes of last week's episode
then the deleted the series. It's not exactly bad but it is
increasingly tedious.

Finding Carter - "Half Baked" - Wesley Wyndam-Pryce proves to be as
untrustworthy as ever.

Doctor Who: Earth Conquest - Another puff piece. This one focusing on
Doctor Who fandom around the world.

Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "Solid Goldfish" - Not bad. I could see the
coins in Teller's hands during his trick. But I don't think that really
matters since other than a brief glimpse of a black bag I didn't really
see how the coins got into his hand. The goldfish at the end was what
really made the trick anyway.

Wizard Wars - Premier of Penn & Teller's other magic show. Fool Us is
better.

Tyrant - Barry's bloodless coup turns out to be not so bloodless.

Rookie Blue - "Fragments; Everlasting" - Slightly above background
noise. I was sure the worst rookie ever wasn't going to make it to
season 6. Not getting blown up doesn't really redeem him.

Extant - "More in Heaven and Earth" and "Incursion" - Already discussed
briefly. Some developments as Molly becomes more confrontational in her
approach to get answers. In a more interesting development, Ethan's
development is progressing far faster than anticipated. John attempts
to slow the advancement but Ethan has taken over his own code preventing
him from making any alterations. And after an encounter with a couple
of bullies Ethan decides he needs some physical upgrades so he can do
harm to humans. Apparent Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics are not part
of his programming and thanks to the lock out never will be. To top
things off Ethan roped John into stealing a trashbot which Ethan will
surely reprogram into being an enforcer of some type. It's bad enough
they have a possible alien invasion to deal with now Ethan's plotting a
robo-uprising!

anim8rFSK

Aug 23, 2014, 1:10:52 PM8/23/14
In article <ltahi4$5mn$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> Penn & Teller: Fool Us - "Solid Goldfish" - Not bad. I could see the
> coins in Teller's hands during his trick. But I don't think that really
> matters since other than a brief glimpse of a black bag I didn't really
> see how the coins got into his hand. The goldfish at the end was what
> really made the trick anyway.

Yeah, I could see the coins in his hands as he was dumping them too, but
since I couldn't see the coins get INTO his hands, he wins. :)

> Wizard Wars - Premier of Penn & Teller's other magic show. Fool Us is
> better.

Yeah, this just isn't worth it.

--
Wait - are you saying that ClodReamer was wrong, or lying?

Ian J. Ball

Aug 23, 2014, 2:35:46 PM8/23/14
In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

"Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:

soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
getting ten acres of s&%^ for this! Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
just leave this snoozer of a story behind.
Y&R - Awkward scenes in which Summer "introduces" her new (con) hubby
to comatose Filis. Meanwhile, Victor pushes to get Filis the
experimental "treatment". And, in this episode, we get 100% confirmation
that Mariah is dead Cassie's twin (and the explanation was actually not
as hokey as it could have been...) - fallout to ensue soon.

Rook. Bleu(!!) (2-hour season finale: first hour off OnDemand, second
hour recorded) - Decent wrap up to the multi-episode arc about the mad
bomber: it looks like the upshot is that the mad bomber was right, and
there's some sort of conspiracy among the 'higher up blues', as at least
some in the cop force are on the Irish mob's payroll - I guess that'll
be next season's (has this been renewed yet?!... huh, it looks like
there are a bunch more "season #5" episodes yet to air, so there should
be more to come, regardless...) storyline.
Meanwhile, this stuff with Gail was *awful* (my GAWD, they have
RUINED this character this season!! >:| ), though mercifully her hot
lesbian girlfriend is taking off so we'll be spared that 'time sink' at
least. Dov dumps Chloe for being a lying, cheating headcase (YaY!!)...
and then makes a shocking discovery about Marlo (who's back in these two
episodes). Collins continues to "meet cute" with Erin Karpluk (of "Being
Erica" fame), but she apparently has a deep, dark secret about cops (can
you say she's "Irish mob", anyone?!...) And Andy and Swarek grow closer.
The worst part is that I *thought* they were setting things up to
kill off the "worst rookie in the world", but then they didn't take the
opportunity, so unfortunately he's still around... >:|

Straw Dogs (Lifetime) - While this does have a good payoff of an (ultra
violent!!) ending, this movie takes far too long to get there (basically
taking 1 hour and 40 minutes before it gets anywhere good). I do not
recommend.

The Island (TNT) - I've obviously seen this before, but this flick
probably represents ScarJo when she looked her absolute best, so I had
watch this at the same time as "Straw Dogs"!... ;) I wonder if Ewan
McGregor enjoyed the scenes where he got to "beat himself up"?!... ;)

Premonition (Lifetime) - I was not expecting the "time jumping"
throughout this flick. As a result, I liked this flick's premise a lot
more than I thought I would.
The problem was the *execution* of said premise. Problem #1 was that
they cheated in several places (the most egregious "cheat" is when Sandy
Bullock tells her daughters that Julian McMahon was dead, and the one
daughter *didn't* have the scars, yet *should* have by that point; but
this was far from this flick's only "cheat" to try to "fool" the
audience...).
But Problem #2 is that the downbeat ending was a huge letdown - I
actually don't have a problem with "downbeat" endings (far from it!);
but the ending of this flick represented the biggest "cheat" of all, as
it undermined a whole series of things that had happened in the movie
previously. (And the very ending skipped ahead some time, which means we
never found out things like how Sandy Bullock got out of the "rubber
room"... >:| )
This really felt like a flick that some writer popped off over a
weekend, and then no one ever bothered to put it through rewrites to
make sure the whole thing held together. (Because, this *doesn't*.)
I can now see why this was a box office flop, even with Sandy Bullock
(Raj from TBBT: "Sandy Bullock really *brings it*!!").
It's too bad too - because while I really did like the premise here,
the execution pretty much *killed* this one... :(

--
"Remember, without math, we are all cavemen eating mud!" - Dr. Xavier, in
"Math" (#2.4B) ep., "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" (22-10-05)

icebreaker

Aug 23, 2014, 3:18:13 PM8/23/14
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:35:46 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
<ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>"Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:
>Rook. Bleu(!!) (2-hour season finale: first hour off OnDemand, second
>hour recorded) - Decent wrap up to the multi-episode arc about the mad
>bomber: it looks like the upshot is that the mad bomber was right, and
>there's some sort of conspiracy among the 'higher up blues', as at least
>some in the cop force are on the Irish mob's payroll - I guess that'll
>be next season's (has this been renewed yet?!... huh, it looks like
>there are a bunch more "season #5" episodes yet to air, so there should
>be more to come, regardless...) storyline.

They ordered 22 last renewal and split it up into 2 seasons. That's
why I wondered months ago whether they'd do the Canadian thing and
pause at the halfway point and then resume the season later in the
year which they do with some shows like Saving Hope. But Global billed
it as a season finale so it looks like the second 11 won't be aired up
north until next Spring.

> Meanwhile, this stuff with Gail was *awful* (my GAWD, they have
>RUINED this character this season!! >:| ), though mercifully her hot
>lesbian girlfriend is taking off so we'll be spared that 'time sink' at
>least. Dov dumps Chloe for being a lying, cheating headcase (YaY!!)...
>and then makes a shocking discovery about Marlo (who's back in these two
>episodes). Collins continues to "meet cute" with Erin Karpluk (of "Being
>Erica" fame), but she apparently has a deep, dark secret about cops (can
>you say she's "Irish mob", anyone?!...) And Andy and Swarek grow closer.
> The worst part is that I *thought* they were setting things up to
>kill off the "worst rookie in the world", but then they didn't take the
>opportunity, so unfortunately he's still around... >:|

They'll redeem him before all is said and done. His Dad, the Commish,
may be a baddie. I think Andy said sooner or later he had to get
better. I think I like the Gail character more now than before. Before
she was just a biotch. Now she has other things going for her,
including some vulnerability.

icebreaker

Aug 23, 2014, 3:24:08 PM8/23/14
The Red Band Society (Fox pilot) -- Not much to care about here. I'm
not even sure how this got on the schedule. I know some guy wrote a
book and the series has aired in another country in a different
version, but I doubt this finds an audience. It wouldn't find an
audience on ABC Family or Disney either in my opinion. It's in the
running for first to be cancelled so it's got that going for it.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 (DVD) -- Too many Spiderman movies for my
taste in too short a time.

suzeeq

Aug 23, 2014, 3:23:55 PM8/23/14
Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> "Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:
>
> soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
> Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
> getting ten acres of s&%^ for this! Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
> so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
> Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
> just leave this snoozer of a story behind.

Sami provided Abigail's name to Will's editor, he didn't mention it. If
you've been paying attention, I think Theresa is falling in love with
Brady and is growing up in the process. She's evolved beyond Anne's
petty little schemes to get back at Jen and her family and Dr Dan.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 23, 2014, 3:32:47 PM8/23/14
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 12:23:55 PM UTC-7, suzeeq wrote:

> Ian J. Ball wrote:
>
> > soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
> > Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
> > getting ten acres of s&%^ for this! Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
> > so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
> > Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
> > just leave this snoozer of a story behind.
>
> Sami provided Abigail's name to Will's editor, he didn't mention it.

Someone (Sonny, I think?...) pointed out that that is a distinction without a difference - there was enough info in Will's original version that anyone could easily have figured out he was talking about Abby, even without providing the name.

Also, Will is completely unapologetic about the whole thing (even to Marlena) which makes him even more unsympathetic - I hope the little twirp gets taken down soon...

> If
> you've been paying attention, I think Theresa is falling in love with
> Brady and is growing up in the process. She's evolved beyond Anne's
> petty little schemes to get back at Jen and her family and Dr Dan.

It's still boring - I'd rather they hook Theresa up with someone else.

suzeeq

Aug 23, 2014, 3:38:00 PM8/23/14
Well, Chad's coming back, that would be interesting. As a Dimera he also
has lots of money...

anim8rFSK

Aug 23, 2014, 4:42:49 PM8/23/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-A91...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> Straw Dogs (Lifetime) - While this does have a good payoff of an (ultra
> violent!!) ending, this movie takes far too long to get there (basically
> taking 1 hour and 40 minutes before it gets anywhere good). I do not
> recommend.

Have you seen the original? The point of it was Susan George nekkid.
Watching that on Lifetime would be like watching Spartacus on Syfy.

> The Island (TNT) - I've obviously seen this before, but this flick
> probably represents ScarJo when she looked her absolute best, so I had
> watch this at the same time as "Straw Dogs"!... ;) I wonder if Ewan
> McGregor enjoyed the scenes where he got to "beat himself up"?!... ;)

God it was a horrible movie though, by one of the worst writers in
Hollywood.

> Premonition (Lifetime) - I was not expecting the "time jumping"
> throughout this flick. As a result, I liked this flick's premise a lot
> more than I thought I would.
> The problem was the *execution* of said premise. Problem #1 was that
> they cheated in several places (the most egregious "cheat" is when Sandy
> Bullock tells her daughters that Julian McMahon was dead, and the one
> daughter *didn't* have the scars, yet *should* have by that point; but
> this was far from this flick's only "cheat" to try to "fool" the
> audience...).
> But Problem #2 is that the downbeat ending was a huge letdown - I
> actually don't have a problem with "downbeat" endings (far from it!);
> but the ending of this flick represented the biggest "cheat" of all, as
> it undermined a whole series of things that had happened in the movie
> previously. (And the very ending skipped ahead some time, which means we
> never found out things like how Sandy Bullock got out of the "rubber
> room"... >:| )
> This really felt like a flick that some writer popped off over a
> weekend, and then no one ever bothered to put it through rewrites to
> make sure the whole thing held together. (Because, this *doesn't*.)
> I can now see why this was a box office flop, even with Sandy Bullock
> (Raj from TBBT: "Sandy Bullock really *brings it*!!").
> It's too bad too - because while I really did like the premise here,
> the execution pretty much *killed* this one... :(

Sandy has sadly long since gone from "I'll watch it 'cause she's in it"
to "I'll avoid it if she's in it" status for me.

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 23, 2014, 4:46:55 PM8/23/14
You watched Straw Dogs on *basic* cable...That's wrong in so many ways.
What's next, I Spit on Your Grave on Disney?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=portEJGiook

> The Island (TNT) - I've obviously seen this before, but this flick
> probably represents ScarJo when she looked her absolute best, so I had
> watch this at the same time as "Straw Dogs"!... ;) I wonder if Ewan
> McGregor enjoyed the scenes where he got to "beat himself up"?!... ;)

I think I'm one of the few who really liked this.

Ever see The Clonus Horror?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clonus_Horror

> Premonition (Lifetime) - I was not expecting the "time jumping"
> throughout this flick. As a result, I liked this flick's premise a lot
> more than I thought I would.
> The problem was the *execution* of said premise. Problem #1 was that
> they cheated in several places (the most egregious "cheat" is when Sandy
> Bullock tells her daughters that Julian McMahon was dead, and the one
> daughter *didn't* have the scars, yet *should* have by that point; but
> this was far from this flick's only "cheat" to try to "fool" the
> audience...).

I vaguely remember this. Although I can't really distinguish it from
The Mailbox.

David Barnett

Aug 23, 2014, 4:53:05 PM8/23/14
In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
web...@polaris.net says...

> What did you watch?

On Fri Aug 22 I watched:

PERCEPTION: Dirty
I was surprised to find this was the summer season finale,
with cliff hanger of course - there was a thread on this.

Another of my pet peeves - a principal character falsely
accused of murder, and I have seen enough shows where the
person wakes up to find a dead person next to them.

ROYAL PAINS: Hankmed on the Half Shell
I have already replied to Adam Kerman's post on this one.

QI: Girls and Boys
Until 15th century all children were called girls!
Boys were called "knave girls" & girls were called "gay
girls".
Until 10th century boys were dressed in pink & girls in
blue.

Another quote from the show:
Whatever women do, they must do it twice as well as men to
be thought half as good. Luckily this isn't difficult.

--
David Barnett

David Barnett

Aug 23, 2014, 4:56:37 PM8/23/14
In article <ijball-NO_SPAM-A91B57.11354623082014
@news.eternal-september.org>, ijball-...@mac.invalid
says...

> In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> "Rook. Bleu"(!),

I am no longer watching this show, but as the number of
shows I am watching seems to be dwindling fast, I may look
at it later.

I used to be swamped with shows to watch :(

--
David Barnett

Michael Black

Aug 23, 2014, 10:08:12 PM8/23/14
So is this the second "Spiderman 2" film?

I found the first first one on DVD at a garage sale, so I'm looking for
the second one. And then I suddenly discover they have "rebooted it"
apaprently.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Aug 23, 2014, 10:10:19 PM8/23/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.

icebreaker

Aug 23, 2014, 10:44:36 PM8/23/14
On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 22:08:12 -0400, Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca>
wrote:
The is the rebooted one with Emma Stone as Gwen and Andrew Garfield as
Spiderman.

Obveeus

Aug 23, 2014, 11:04:45 PM8/23/14

Michael Black

Aug 24, 2014, 12:03:19 AM8/24/14
What was wrong with the first one that they felt a need to remake it so
soon?

It's bad enough that they remake old movies, but when they remake movies
that are still commonly available at garage sales, then it's way too
early.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 12:20:32 AM8/24/14
In article <k6kiv9h2ppa008ugu...@4ax.com>,
I watched the free first 10 minute preview, and had absolutely no desire
to see more.

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 12:21:01 AM8/24/14
In article <ltbkoj$ae4$1...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:
hah

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 12:21:36 AM8/24/14
I'm not really sure. I guess they felt that if they were losing the
actors and director anyway, they may as well start from scratch.

BTR1701

Aug 24, 2014, 1:46:14 AM8/24/14
In article <anim8rfsk-9EC9B...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, anim8rFSK wrote:

> > > The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
> > >
> > What was wrong with the first one that they felt a need to remake it so
> > soon?
> >
> > It's bad enough that they remake old movies, but when they remake movies
> > that are still commonly available at garage sales, then it's way too
> > early.

> I'm not really sure. I guess they felt that if they were losing the
> actors and director anyway, they may as well start from scratch.

I just wish "starting from scratch" didn't necessitate them needing to
always tell the *same* goddam origin story over and over and over again.
Start over with a bunch of new actors, but jesus wept, no more telling
us how he got bit, had some wacky times figuring out how to use his
powers, then got his uncle killed and had to fight a goblin on a flying
sled. We. Have. Seen. That. Already. Show us something new!

They do the same thing with Superman. That was one of the reasons I
didn't hate the latest iteration as much as I otherwise would have,
because they kept the whole origin thing to a minimum. After the opening
scenes on Krypton, we flashed forward to him already grown adult. Half
the movie wasn't taken up with super-baby scenes and Smallvile/super-boy
shit, etc.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 24, 2014, 2:18:11 AM8/24/14
On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:10:19 PM UTC-7, anim8rfsk wrote:

> The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.

The second series is better than the first, simply because:

Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 24, 2014, 2:24:41 AM8/24/14
The problem is that movies are a director's medium and every director
thinks he can tell the story better. And by doing the origin story
"right" they aren't stuck with following some other director's telling
of the critical origin story.

So its basically because everyone in Hollywood's ego is more important
than the story.

--
"The Snark must flow!" - Shaddam Emperor Animfsk the 8th

Michael Black

Aug 24, 2014, 8:25:33 AM8/24/14
That's what I was wondering about. I seem to gather that the new "series'
was starting from the beginning, as if the last guy didn't do it right.
But everyone knows the story.

With the Batman movies (Michael Keaton, etc), they just change the actor
and move on. It seemed to get less attention than when they changed James
Bond actors.

There are endless stories for these superheroes, and they can even make up
more if they need it. So why keep "resetting" to the mythic beginnings?

Michael

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 9:21:09 AM8/24/14
In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,
I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 9:23:29 AM8/24/14
In article <atropos-EDE694...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
Yep

> They do the same thing with Superman. That was one of the reasons I
> didn't hate the latest iteration as much as I otherwise would have,
> because they kept the whole origin thing to a minimum. After the opening
> scenes on Krypton, we flashed forward to him already grown adult. Half
> the movie wasn't taken up with super-baby scenes and Smallvile/super-boy
> shit, etc.

Supergayman Returns insisted on rehashing Smallville, and, *getting it
wrong* - that was really annoying.

I hated what little of Krypton we *did* get in Man of Crap, but I hated
the stuff on Earth more.

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 9:24:36 AM8/24/14
I *think* the new 'Amazing' series got rid of the organic webshooters -
if so, that would warrant a reboot all by itself. :D

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 9:25:46 AM8/24/14
In article <53f98516$0$36556$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
That, and the writers are lazy.

It was a running joke back in the Silver Age that Stan and/or Jack ran
out of Captain America stories to tell every 6 months and had to present
his origin ... AGAIN.

Obveeus

Aug 24, 2014, 9:39:02 AM8/24/14

On 8/24/2014 9:23 AM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>> I just wish "starting from scratch" didn't necessitate them needing to
>> always tell the *same* goddam origin story over and over and over again.
>> Start over with a bunch of new actors, but jesus wept, no more telling
>> us how he got bit, had some wacky times figuring out how to use his
>> powers, then got his uncle killed and had to fight a goblin on a flying
>> sled. We. Have. Seen. That. Already. Show us something new!
>
> Yep

Um...Anim8r...aren't you one of the people that complains if they change
*anything*, right down to the shade of coloring on the costume?

> Supergayman Returns insisted on rehashing Smallville, and, *getting it
> wrong* - that was really annoying.
>
> I hated what little of Krypton we *did* get in Man of Crap, but I hated
> the stuff on Earth more.

Lousy film. Changing anything from the original storyline was the least
of the film's problems.

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 24, 2014, 9:43:11 AM8/24/14
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
Actually, the latest James Bond got to do the first novel, which the series'
producers had never before had the rights to, the excuse for not having
Pierce Brosnan do a fifth movie.

Hunter <>

Aug 24, 2014, 10:13:21 AM8/24/14
<ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
>"Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:
>

>Rook. Bleu(!!) (2-hour season finale: first hour off OnDemand, second
>hour recorded) - Decent wrap up to the multi-episode arc about the mad
>bomber: it looks like the upshot is that the mad bomber was right, and
>there's some sort of conspiracy among the 'higher up blues', as at least
>some in the cop force are on the Irish mob's payroll
----
And they planted the bomb to make him look guilty and as a distraction
to kill him. Would Duncan's stepfather do his own wet work?

> - I guess that'll
>be next season's (has this been renewed yet?!... huh, it looks like
>there are a bunch more "season #5" episodes yet to air, so there should
>be more to come, regardless...) storyline.
----
To show in both Canada and the US? Yes. It was renewed last March.

> Meanwhile, this stuff with Gail was *awful* (my GAWD, they have
>RUINED this character this season!! >:| ), though mercifully her hot
>lesbian girlfriend is taking off so we'll be spared that 'time sink' at
>least.
----
Well if she was hot and she was I have no problem with the "time
sink".

>Dov dumps Chloe for being a lying, cheating headcase (YaY!!)...
----
He is over reacting worse than Mike was with Rachel on "Suits" after
she killed his ex.

>and then makes a shocking discovery about Marlo (who's back in these two
>episodes). Collins continues to "meet cute" with Erin Karpluk (of "Being
>Erica" fame), but she apparently has a deep, dark secret about cops (can
>you say she's "Irish mob", anyone?!...) And Andy and Swarek grow closer.
> The worst part is that I *thought* they were setting things up to
>kill off the "worst rookie in the world", but then they didn't take the
>opportunity, so unfortunately he's still around... >:|
----
I think this is suppose to start his journey to redemption. Andy being
the nice fair woman she is has already halfway forgiven him.

------>Hunter

"No man in the wrong can stand up against
a fellow that's in the right and keeps on acomin'."

-----William J. McDonald
Captain, Texas Rangers from 1891 to 1907

Hunter <>

Aug 24, 2014, 11:08:51 AM8/24/14
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:13:21 -0400, Hunter <<buffh...@my-deja.com>>
wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:35:46 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
><ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>>In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
>> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>>"Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:
>>

>> - I guess that'll
>>be next season's (has this been renewed yet?!... huh, it looks like
>>there are a bunch more "season #5" episodes yet to air, so there should
>>be more to come, regardless...) storyline.
>----
>To show in both Canada and the US? Yes. It was renewed last March.
----
Correction: Its been "renewed" in a bastardized way:

"On August 7, 2014, it was announced that the second half of season
five would air in 2015 as season six, instead of a full season of
twenty two episodes, as originally intended.[8][9]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rookie_Blue_episodes

They split season five in two. That sucks! And I regard it as a bad
omen. :-(

Ian J. Ball

Aug 24, 2014, 1:11:05 PM8/24/14
In article <anim8rfsk-E20C9...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article
> <ijball-NO_SPAM-A91...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> > Straw Dogs (Lifetime) - While this does have a good payoff of an (ultra
> > violent!!) ending, this movie takes far too long to get there (basically
> > taking 1 hour and 40 minutes before it gets anywhere good). I do not
> > recommend.
>
> Have you seen the original?

Nope.

--
"Remember, without math, we are all cavemen eating mud!" - Dr. Xavier, in
"Math" (#2.4B) ep., "Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide" (22-10-05)

Ian J. Ball

Aug 24, 2014, 1:14:01 PM8/24/14
In article <ltaujv$3fa$1...@dont-email.me>,
Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

> On 8/23/2014 11:35 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>
> > The Island (TNT) - I've obviously seen this before, but this flick
> > probably represents ScarJo when she looked her absolute best, so I had
> > watch this at the same time as "Straw Dogs"!... ;) I wonder if Ewan
> > McGregor enjoyed the scenes where he got to "beat himself up"?!... ;)
>
> I think I'm one of the few who really liked this.
>
> Ever see The Clonus Horror?
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clonus_Horror

Wow - they *100%* ripped this off. I wonder how much "The Clonus Horror"
people got in that settlement from "The Island" people.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 24, 2014, 1:15:58 PM8/24/14
In article <anim8rfsk-43D78...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:10:19 PM UTC-7, anim8rfsk wrote:
> >
> > > The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
> >
> > The second series is better than the first, simply because:
> >
> > Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
>
> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.

Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 24, 2014, 1:44:47 PM8/24/14
Hunter <<buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:13:21 -0400, Hunter <<buffh...@my-deja.com>>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 23 Aug 2014 11:35:46 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
>><ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>>>"Rook. Bleu"(!), and a bunch o' movies off basic cable:
>>>

>>> - I guess that'll
>>>be next season's (has this been renewed yet?!... huh, it looks like
>>>there are a bunch more "season #5" episodes yet to air, so there should
>>>be more to come, regardless...) storyline.
>>----
>>To show in both Canada and the US? Yes. It was renewed last March.
>----
>Correction: Its been "renewed" in a bastardized way:
>
>"On August 7, 2014, it was announced that the second half of season
>five would air in 2015 as season six, instead of a full season of
>twenty two episodes, as originally intended.[8][9]"
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rookie_Blue_episodes
>
>They split season five in two. That sucks! And I regard it as a bad
>omen. :-(

No, Hunter, that's not a correction. Ian got it right to begin with:
They are holding certain Season 5 episodes in the can. The show was
not renewed and Season 5 will be its last.

Michael Black

Aug 24, 2014, 2:09:58 PM8/24/14
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-43D78...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,

>>> The second series is better than the first, simply because:
>>>
>>> Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
>>
>> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.
>
> Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p

I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.

I can't think of what else he's been in (and I don't care, so I'm not
looking) but in Spiderman, he was okay.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 2:24:35 PM8/24/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-632...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <ltaujv$3fa$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Arthur Lipscomb <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:
>
> > On 8/23/2014 11:35 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> >
> > > The Island (TNT) - I've obviously seen this before, but this flick
> > > probably represents ScarJo when she looked her absolute best, so I had
> > > watch this at the same time as "Straw Dogs"!... ;) I wonder if Ewan
> > > McGregor enjoyed the scenes where he got to "beat himself up"?!... ;)
> >
> > I think I'm one of the few who really liked this.
> >
> > Ever see The Clonus Horror?
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Clonus_Horror
>
> Wow - they *100%* ripped this off. I wonder how much "The Clonus Horror"
> people got in that settlement from "The Island" people.

Not enough; they should have sentenced Orci to prison and spared us his
entire career.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 24, 2014, 2:26:42 PM8/24/14
That assumes that anyone making movies pays attention to what the

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 2:27:11 PM8/24/14
In article <ltcptt$k7n$2...@dont-email.me>, Obveeus <Obv...@aol.com>
wrote:

> On 8/24/2014 9:23 AM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> > BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >> I just wish "starting from scratch" didn't necessitate them needing to
> >> always tell the *same* goddam origin story over and over and over again.
> >> Start over with a bunch of new actors, but jesus wept, no more telling
> >> us how he got bit, had some wacky times figuring out how to use his
> >> powers, then got his uncle killed and had to fight a goblin on a flying
> >> sled. We. Have. Seen. That. Already. Show us something new!
> >
> > Yep
>
> Um...Anim8r...aren't you one of the people that complains if they change
> *anything*, right down to the shade of coloring on the costume?

Only when it's for the worse, for the sake of change.

There are thousands, tens of thousands of Superman stories to choose
from, dozens of which could be made into a decent movie. Why do the
origin again?

> > Supergayman Returns insisted on rehashing Smallville, and, *getting it
> > wrong* - that was really annoying.
> >
> > I hated what little of Krypton we *did* get in Man of Crap, but I hated
> > the stuff on Earth more.
>
> Lousy film. Changing anything from the original storyline was the least
> of the film's problems.

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 2:29:41 PM8/24/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-563...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-43D78...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,

> > > The second series is better than the first, simply because:
> > >
> > > Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
> >
> > I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.
>
> Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p

Many would say the same of Snagglepuss.

I'll say this, 'Amazing' has a better Captain and Gwen Stacy (both of
which you were hoping would die in the first one) but from that 10
minute preview ... is her mother alive or what?

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 3:15:00 PM8/24/14
In article <53fa2e4e$0$36609$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Good point, although maybe they don't because the writers are lazy. :D

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 3:15:57 PM8/24/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

Well, I can think of plenty wrong, but nothing I can pin on Toby. :)

Michael Black

Aug 24, 2014, 4:25:58 PM8/24/14
I was never a Spiderman follower, except the sixties animated series.

Seeing the ads for Superman on MeTV, I realize that was how I learned of
Superman, reruns in the sixties, and probably was the first superhero I
knew about. Which is why when I started buying comic books, they were
SUperman.

And it was that show that caused me to put on underwear over an outer
layer, so I could be Superman.

Michael

Michael Black

Aug 24, 2014, 4:27:08 PM8/24/14
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, anim8rFSK wrote:

Or, just send him to The Island.

Michael

chicagofan

Aug 24, 2014, 4:58:41 PM8/24/14
Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>> What did you watch?
> soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
> Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
> getting ten acres of s&%^ for this!

LOL... and I've been cheering him on! It's time for Sammi to get some
of what she's been dishing out to everyone in town. :)

> Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
> so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
> Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
> just leave this snoozer of a story behind.

And not make sleazy Theresa pay for assaulting John and putting him in a
coma? No way! I want them to lock her up before she gets up the nerve
to kill him. Then she can forget about Brady, after she tells him she
lied about him hurting his dad and spends some time behind bars. ;)

> Y&R - Awkward scenes in which Summer "introduces" her new (con) hubby
> to comatose Filis. Meanwhile, Victor pushes to get Filis the
> experimental "treatment". And, in this episode, we get 100% confirmation
> that Mariah is dead Cassie's twin (and the explanation was actually not
> as hokey as it could have been...) - fallout to ensue soon.

The explanation for Mariah is still too hokey for me. ;)
bj

Ubiquitous

Aug 24, 2014, 5:01:52 PM8/24/14
et...@ncf.ca wrote:
>On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, anim8rFSK wrote:
>> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>>> So is this the second "Spiderman 2" film?
>>>
>>> I found the first first one on DVD at a garage sale, so I'm looking for
>>> the second one. And then I suddenly discover they have "rebooted it"
>>> apaprently.
>>
>> The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
>
>What was wrong with the first one that they felt a need to remake it so
>soon?

Which reason do you want?

Raimi quit because he ran out of good ideas for another movie?

Tobi et al were clearly tired of it?

If the studio doesn't make a movie periodically they lose the rights to it?

They made stupid changes to the mew series?

--
So to recap:
Iraq is imploding
Russia is expanding
The US is being invaded
Vets are dying
IRS is lying
And Obama is fundraising & golfing

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 5:51:56 PM8/24/14
I would have seen AoS before (or at the same time) I saw the comics as
well. It's hard to tell which influenced which. The 'completely
worthless Lois Lane who only exists to be rescued and try to destroy
Superman's life' character seems to have originated with the awful
second Lois in AoS, but I have no idea if the comics were already headed
that direction or what.

David Johnston

Aug 24, 2014, 9:18:33 PM8/24/14
Wiki sez that Lois Lane was trying to uncover Superman's secret identity
from the early 40s onward.

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 24, 2014, 10:44:56 PM8/24/14
On 8/24/2014 12:15 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <53fa2e4e$0$36609$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/2014 6:25 AM, anim8rFSK wrote:
>>> In article <53f98516$0$36556$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
>>> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

<snipped Hollywood constantly re-telling superhero origin stories>

>>> That, and the writers are lazy.
>>>
>> That assumes that anyone making movies pays attention to what the
>> writers actually wrote in the first place. :)
>
> Good point, although maybe they don't because the writers are lazy. :D

So which came first, the chicken or the egg?

anim8rFSK

Aug 24, 2014, 11:42:59 PM8/24/14
In article <53faa314$0$36607$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> On 8/24/2014 12:15 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> > In article <53fa2e4e$0$36609$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> > Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:

> <snipped Hollywood constantly re-telling superhero origin stories>

> >> That assumes that anyone making movies pays attention to what the
> >> writers actually wrote in the first place. :)
> >
> > Good point, although maybe they don't because the writers are lazy. :D
> >
> So which came first, the chicken or the egg?

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/479/which-came-first-the-chicken
-or-the-egg

Cecil replies:

There are two answers to this question, P., one serious, one retarded.
Let's start with the former.

(1) The egg came first. We know that chickens evolved from some earlier,
non-chickenoid form of life, e.g., the half-bird, half-reptile
Archaeopteryx. These non-chickens, however, arrived in eggs. Ergo, eggs
were on the scene before chickens.

(2) The chicken came first because (sigh) the chicken had to get laid
before the egg could. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Hunter <>

Aug 25, 2014, 12:32:37 AM8/25/14
----
I wasn't correcting Ian. I was correcting myself if you took the time
to notice since I put "renewed" in quotes.

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 25, 2014, 1:16:16 AM8/25/14
Hunter <<buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>"Adam H. Kerman" <a...@chinet.com> wrote:
>>Hunter <<buffh...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>>>Correction: Its been "renewed" in a bastardized way:

>>>"On August 7, 2014, it was announced that the second half of season
>>>five would air in 2015 as season six, instead of a full season of
>>>twenty two episodes, as originally intended.[8][9]"

>>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Rookie_Blue_episodes

>>>They split season five in two. That sucks! And I regard it as a bad
>>>omen. :-(

>>No, Hunter, that's not a correction. Ian got it right to begin with:
>>They are holding certain Season 5 episodes in the can. The show was
>>not renewed and Season 5 will be its last.

>I wasn't correcting Ian. I was correcting myself if you took the time
>to notice since I put "renewed" in quotes.

I would have said nothing if you hadn't done that, double quotes or not.
Lengthy mid-season hiatus, planned or not, is no kind of renewal, especially
if it drags the produced season into a later airing season, a la The
Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc. Really kills things for viewers.
I wonder if Canadian viewers are experiencing the same lengthy delay.

I hope we see whatever movie Missy Peregrym is working on, soon, for
which she built up those prominent shoulders. Or maybe she's gone back
to gymnastics. Unlike some women, the more athletic she gets, the
sexier she looks.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 25, 2014, 12:06:29 PM8/25/14
In article <ltdjm2$ra2$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
wrote:

> Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > In article <lt9l9i$s2m$1...@dont-email.me>,
> > Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >> What did you watch?
> > soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
> > Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
> > getting ten acres of s&%^ for this!
>
> LOL... and I've been cheering him on! It's time for Sammi to get some
> of what she's been dishing out to everyone in town. :)

Sami is always right!!!

> > Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
> > so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
> > Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
> > just leave this snoozer of a story behind.
>
> And not make sleazy Theresa pay for assaulting John and putting him in a
> coma? No way!

Heck - they should give her a *medal* for sparing us John Black!!! ;p

> I want them to lock her up before she gets up the nerve
> to kill him. Then she can forget about Brady, after she tells him she
> lied about him hurting his dad and spends some time behind bars. ;)

Well, she's inevitably going to lose Brady, yeah, which is another
reason I wish they'd move on from this storyline as quickly as possible.

Ian J. Ball

Aug 25, 2014, 12:08:53 PM8/25/14
In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Ian J. Ball wrote:
> > In article <anim8rfsk-43D78...@news.easynews.com>,
> > anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> >> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.
> >
> > Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> > Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p
>
> I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.

Well, he's simply nowhere near as good in the part as Garfield, who at
least *gets* what Peter Parker is supposed to be about (even if the
filmmakers themselves don't really "get" Spiderman).

Maguire was an incredibly dreary Peter Parker, which is just wrong, all
around... >:|

Ian J. Ball

Aug 25, 2014, 12:09:23 PM8/25/14
In article <anim8rfsk-2B8A8...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> > > Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> > > Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p
> > >
> > I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.
> >
> > I can't think of what else he's been in (and I don't care, so I'm not
> > looking) but in Spiderman, he was okay.
>
> Well, I can think of plenty wrong, but nothing I can pin on Toby. :)

Then you haven't thought about the subject at all... >:|

anim8rFSK

Aug 25, 2014, 12:17:48 PM8/25/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-ABA...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <anim8rfsk-2B8A8...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> > Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

> > > I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.
> > >
> > > I can't think of what else he's been in (and I don't care, so I'm not
> > > looking) but in Spiderman, he was okay.
> >
> > Well, I can think of plenty wrong, but nothing I can pin on Toby. :)
>
> Then you haven't thought about the subject at all... >:|

Hey, Green Goblin costume, extra angst over the murder of Uncle Ben,
lousy casting of just about everybody else ... not Toby's fault!

anim8rFSK

Aug 25, 2014, 12:18:43 PM8/25/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-E20...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> > > Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> > > Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p
> >
> > I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.
>
> Well, he's simply nowhere near as good in the part as Garfield, who at
> least *gets* what Peter Parker is supposed to be about (even if the
> filmmakers themselves don't really "get" Spiderman).
>
> Maguire was an incredibly dreary Peter Parker, which is just wrong, all
> around... >:|

Peter Parker *is* dreary - it's Spider-Man who's not!

suzeeq

Aug 25, 2014, 1:20:24 PM8/25/14
Yeah, it's really a catch-22 statement...

Hunter <>

Aug 26, 2014, 2:55:38 AM8/26/14
On Mon, 25 Aug 2014 05:16:16 +0000 (UTC), "Adam H. Kerman"
----
Hence my quotes for renewed thus: "Renewed", meaning it wasn't.

>I hope we see whatever movie Missy Peregrym is working on, soon, for
>which she built up those prominent shoulders. Or maybe she's gone back
>to gymnastics. Unlike some women, the more athletic she gets, the
>sexier she looks.
----
Most women look good with athletic builds, but I don't mind girls with
baby fat either.

Adam H. Kerman

Aug 26, 2014, 9:10:38 AM8/26/14
>Hence my quotes for renewed thus: "Renewed", meaning it wasn't.

Hence it was inappropriate and wrong. You might have used the double quotes
if the network itself lied about the situation, but it hadn't. The significant
mid-season hiatus and split airings was announced when season 5 was ordered.

You're wrong. You were wrong, and you've been further compounding your error.
Ian was correct.

>>I hope we see whatever movie Missy Peregrym is working on, soon, for
>>which she built up those prominent shoulders. Or maybe she's gone back
>>to gymnastics. Unlike some women, the more athletic she gets, the
>>sexier she looks.

>Most women look good with athletic builds, but I don't mind girls with
>baby fat either.

I think she's doing some weight lifting, but it looks good on her.

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:07:10 PM8/26/14
Hunter < wrote on 8/26/2014 1:55 AM:
> Most women look good with athletic builds, but I don't mind girls with
> baby fat either.

Baby fat in adults isn't baby fat; it's something far less appealing.

"Everyone is relevant to someone." -- Harold Finch, PERSON OF INTEREST

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:29:55 PM8/26/14
Michael Black wrote on 8/23/2014 11:03 PM:
> On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, anim8rFSK wrote:
>
>> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
>> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>>> So is this the second "Spiderman 2" film?
>>>
>>> I found the first first one on DVD at a garage sale, so I'm looking for
>>> the second one. And then I suddenly discover they have "rebooted it"
>>> apaprently.
>>>
>>> Michael
>>
>> The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
>>
> What was wrong with the first one that they felt a need to remake it so
> soon?

It's simply a case of needing to pump out enough Spidey movies so that
the rights to the character don't revert back to Marvel. The same holds
for the X-Men franchise, which Marvel would also love to have back. I
suspect that the current brain trust at Marvel would dearly love to pour
gasoline on the "brain" trust from the '90s and toss a lit match on them.

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31:03 PM8/26/14
BTR1701 wrote on 8/24/2014 12:46 AM:
> In article <anim8rfsk-9EC9B...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
>> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:

>>> What was wrong with the first one that they felt a need to remake it so
>>> soon?
>>>
>>> It's bad enough that they remake old movies, but when they remake movies
>>> that are still commonly available at garage sales, then it's way too
>>> early.
>
>> I'm not really sure. I guess they felt that if they were losing the
>> actors and director anyway, they may as well start from scratch.
>
> I just wish "starting from scratch" didn't necessitate them needing to
> always tell the *same* goddam origin story over and over and over again.
> Start over with a bunch of new actors, but jesus wept, no more telling
> us how he got bit, had some wacky times figuring out how to use his
> powers, then got his uncle killed and had to fight a goblin on a flying
> sled. We. Have. Seen. That. Already. Show us something new!

Amen. Exactly! +1.

> They do the same thing with Superman. That was one of the reasons I
> didn't hate the latest iteration as much as I otherwise would have,
> because they kept the whole origin thing to a minimum. After the opening
> scenes on Krypton, we flashed forward to him already grown adult. Half
> the movie wasn't taken up with super-baby scenes and Smallvile/super-boy
> shit, etc.

Yesterday's "Bug Martini" comic, which is invariably awesome, was
typically awesome in an on-topic kind of way:

http://www.bugmartini.com/comic/on-my-world-it-means-dope/

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:31:59 PM8/26/14
Ian J. Ball wrote on 8/24/2014 1:18 AM:
> On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:10:19 PM UTC-7, anim8rfsk wrote:
>
>> The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
>
> The second series is better than the first, simply because:
>
> Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire

This is *so* true. Which, of course, only leads me to wonder who you are
and what you've done with the real Ian. Between this and Anim finally
bailing on some truly bad shows, I'm starting to think that group
members here are being targeted by an outside source. It's just a matter
of time until I'm saying something positive about Canadians...

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:32:09 PM8/26/14
anim8rFSK wrote on 8/24/2014 8:21 AM:
> In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,
> "Ian J. Ball" <ijb...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>> On Saturday, August 23, 2014 7:10:19 PM UTC-7, anim8rfsk wrote:
>>
>>> The 'amazing' denotes the second, lousy series.
>>
>> The second series is better than the first, simply because:
>>
>> Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
>
> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.

It frightens me more than you can know, but I'm with Ian on this one.
Garfield is *way* better as the starter Parker.

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:32:20 PM8/26/14
Ian J. Ball wrote on 8/24/2014 12:15 PM:
> In article <anim8rfsk-43D78...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,

>>> The second series is better than the first, simply because:
>>>
>>> Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
>>
>> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.
>
> Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p

I didn't like him in THE GOOD GERMAN, either. And I don't mean "didn't
like his character." Something about the guy...

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:33:01 PM8/26/14
anim8rFSK wrote on 8/24/2014 8:24 AM:
> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2014, BTR1701 wrote:

>>> I just wish "starting from scratch" didn't necessitate them needing to
>>> always tell the *same* goddam origin story over and over and over again.
>>> Start over with a bunch of new actors, but jesus wept, no more telling
>>> us how he got bit, had some wacky times figuring out how to use his
>>> powers, then got his uncle killed and had to fight a goblin on a flying
>>> sled. We. Have. Seen. That. Already. Show us something new!
>>>
>> That's what I was wondering about. I seem to gather that the new "series'
>> was starting from the beginning, as if the last guy didn't do it right.
>> But everyone knows the story.
>>
>> With the Batman movies (Michael Keaton, etc), they just change the actor
>> and move on. It seemed to get less attention than when they changed James
>> Bond actors.
>>
>> There are endless stories for these superheroes, and they can even make up
>> more if they need it. So why keep "resetting" to the mythic beginnings?
>>
> I *think* the new 'Amazing' series got rid of the organic webshooters -

It did.

> if so, that would warrant a reboot all by itself. :D

It did. And the gang behind the comic books seem to agree with us, since
they revisited the issue twice in the first two issues of the post-Ock
THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN series, and in unsubtle ways. Here are a panel
each from (a) a backup story (sort of a character review) in #1 and (b)
Slott's own revisiting of the origin story in #1.1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/h4yt7lxc2ygwwdy/Spidey%2001.jpg?dl=0

and

https://www.dropbox.com/s/en7o99wj3a57ddh/Spidey%2002.jpg?dl=0

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 2:33:26 PM8/26/14
Michael Black wrote on 8/24/2014 3:25 PM:
> I was never a Spiderman follower

Now that's just sad. I gave up on superhero comics decades ago, with the
exceptions being some team books (Avengers (flagship book only), X-Men
(flagship book only), Fantastic Four and Justice League (flagship book
only)), along with Spidey and Cap. And then I gave up on Cap when
Brubaker gave it up for his Image gig and Marvel foolishly gave the
title to that Remender hack. But Spidey? If I live to be 100, I'll
probably still be reading 'em if they're still writing 'em.

anim8rFSK

Aug 26, 2014, 4:36:11 PM8/26/14
In article <ltijtr$4bt$1...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> Michael Black wrote on 8/24/2014 3:25 PM:
> > I was never a Spiderman follower
>
> Now that's just sad. I gave up on superhero comics decades ago, with the
> exceptions being some team books (Avengers (flagship book only), X-Men
> (flagship book only), Fantastic Four and Justice League (flagship book
> only)), along with Spidey and Cap. And then I gave up on Cap when
> Brubaker gave it up for his Image gig and Marvel foolishly gave the
> title to that Remender hack. But Spidey? If I live to be 100, I'll
> probably still be reading 'em if they're still writing 'em.

I gave up on the Spider when JMS vomited his sexual perversion all over
the character.

anim8rFSK

Aug 26, 2014, 4:40:10 PM8/26/14
In article <ltijt3$4bt$9...@dont-email.me>,
LOL, so the organics are in continuity but no longer, as much as I hate
to use the word, extant?

Still, what the Hell continuity is Parker *in* anyway? As near as I can
tell he's still in the Mephisto pocket universe, and within that, in the
secret identity mind wipe alternate universe. Either of those bubbles
could pop at any instant (and I'd be happy with that as long as it went
back and removed JMS perverted Sins Past garbage); he may as well have
stayed in House of M.

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 5:07:41 PM8/26/14
Can you refresh my memory on what JMS did?

Slott is awesome, IMO. Just awesome. I thought that he stretched
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN further than he should have, but it was still pretty
good. I just hated to see the real Pete gone for so long. But the guy
knows the character inside and out and *clearly* loves his job, so I
can't think of anyone better to revisit Spidey's origins in comic book form.

Jim G.

Aug 26, 2014, 5:08:24 PM8/26/14
It's weird. I consider it more of a fourth-wall thing that they are
forced to acknowledge, so they make fun of it and hope that we all just
move on and do our best to forget about it.

> Still, what the Hell continuity is Parker *in* anyway? As near as I can
> tell he's still in the Mephisto pocket universe, and within that, in the
> secret identity mind wipe alternate universe. Either of those bubbles
> could pop at any instant (and I'd be happy with that as long as it went
> back and removed JMS perverted Sins Past garbage); he may as well have
> stayed in House of M.

I don't think that he's in any alternate universe or continuity at all
at this point. I'm pretty sure that both his Doc Ock period and the
present stuff are in the good, ol' "regular" universe.

anim8rFSK

Aug 26, 2014, 5:39:32 PM8/26/14
In article <ltit0e$egj$6...@dont-email.me>,
He's *got* to be in the MephistoVerse. That's the only reason Aunt May
is alive.

anim8rFSK

Aug 26, 2014, 5:51:58 PM8/26/14
In article <ltisv3$egj$5...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> anim8rFSK wrote on 8/26/2014 3:36 PM:
> > In article <ltijtr$4bt$1...@dont-email.me>,

> >> Now that's just sad. I gave up on superhero comics decades ago, with the
> >> exceptions being some team books (Avengers (flagship book only), X-Men
> >> (flagship book only), Fantastic Four and Justice League (flagship book
> >> only)), along with Spidey and Cap. And then I gave up on Cap when
> >> Brubaker gave it up for his Image gig and Marvel foolishly gave the
> >> title to that Remender hack. But Spidey? If I live to be 100, I'll
> >> probably still be reading 'em if they're still writing 'em.
> >
> > I gave up on the Spider when JMS vomited his sexual perversion all over
> > the character.
>
> Can you refresh my memory on what JMS did?

Sins Past. He wrote that vile retcon about how Gwen never put out for
Peter, but was happily sleeping with Norman, and popped out a couple
kids for him, nobody noticing she was pregnant (and no 'Goblin
pheromones' excuse or anything - Gwen's just a slut) - and here's an
image of her from the time she was pregnant with twins that JMS claims
fits into his perverse timeline:

http://rokfogo.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/gog-2.jpeg

Yep, she was running around, in a bikini, with Peter, in the Savage
Land, while 7 months pregnant, with twins, 'cause JMS is a lying shit.

JMS claims he originally wrote the story about Peter being the father
and they made him change it to Norman, but he's lying. He defended it
until he realized how hated it was, and suddenly totally changed his
story to "they made me do it" even though the story he claims he
originally wrote makes no damn sense and would have been totally
pointless. Then he claims he only wrote it 'cause he assumed he'd be
allowed to retcon it out later. He backpedaled all *over* the place
with one lie contradicting the other. He also retconned Gwen's death,
saying that Osborn killed her solely for the sake of keeping the
existence of the kids a secret and that it had nothing whatsoever to do
with Parker, which also makes no freaking sense - why would he care?
And if he did, why kill her publicly and invite Spider-Man to it?

> Slott is awesome, IMO. Just awesome. I thought that he stretched
> SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN further than he should have, but it was still pretty
> good. I just hated to see the real Pete gone for so long. But the guy
> knows the character inside and out and *clearly* loves his job, so I
> can't think of anyone better to revisit Spidey's origins in comic book form.

I admit to reading Superior. I quit when Peter returned and 2099 guy
popped in as well. But he's still in the MephistoVerse. If May is
alive, and Peter never married MJ, it's the MephistoVerse. Oh, yeah,
Harry's alive too. That's also MephistoVerse.

BTR1701

Aug 26, 2014, 6:16:01 PM8/26/14
In article <anim8rfsk-2CBED...@news.easynews.com>,
anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Still, what the Hell continuity is Parker *in* anyway? As near as I can
> tell he's still in the Mephisto pocket universe, and within that, in the
> secret identity mind wipe alternate universe.

See, that's why I gave up on comics as a kid. A "pocket universe"?
Seriously?

I think I'm going to call in to work tomorrow and use that as an excuse
to stay home. "Boss, yeah, I won't be in today. I'm in the Mephisto
pocket universe and it's fucking tiring."

BTR1701

Aug 26, 2014, 6:16:34 PM8/26/14
In article <ltit0e$egj$6...@dont-email.me>,
Reminds me of Worf and the smooth-head Klingons.

BTR1701

Aug 26, 2014, 6:18:18 PM8/26/14
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-E20...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <alpine.LNX.2.02.1...@darkstar.example.org>,
> Michael Black <et...@ncf.ca> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 24 Aug 2014, Ian J. Ball wrote:

> > > Just remember: if you're ever on the side where you're defending Tobey
> > > Maguire, you're already wrong!! :p
> >
> > I didn't think anything was wrong with his Spiderman films.
>
> Well, he's simply nowhere near as good in the part as Garfield, who at
> least *gets* what Peter Parker is supposed to be about (even if the
> filmmakers themselves don't really "get" Spiderman).
>
> Maguire was an incredibly dreary Peter Parker, which is just wrong, all
> around... >:|

He wasn't as bad of a Parker as snaggle-toothed Dunst was as Mary Jane.

Egad. Get her off the screen.

anim8rFSK

Aug 26, 2014, 6:53:36 PM8/26/14
In article <atropos-559C44...@news-europe.giganews.com>,
Yeah, pocket universe. That first came around AFAIK about 1985 when DC
was retconning everything. John Byrne was redoing Superman and making
all sorts of idiotic demands, and, instead of telling him to shut the
Hell up, DC folded. Byrne insisted that Superman (who he changed into a
psychotic killer) was the *only* Super anything there had ever been. No
Girl, no Dog, no Boy. Boy was particularly a problem for the Legion of
Super Heroes, whose history was tightly woven to Superboy and Smallville
and time travel. So they made a 'pocket universe' that basically had
nothing in it but Earth and the Sun and said this was where the Legion
had always gone when they travelled to the past, and this was the
Superboy who visited them in the future. Yeah, it makes no sense - how
did these space faring people not notice they were in a FREAKING EMPTY
UNIVERSE?

Anyway, a few years ago, Marvel killed Aunt May, and as she died, Peter
made a literal deal with the literal Devil, and changed his history. He
had revealed his identity to the world, and the bad guys came after him
(Kingpin had May shot, and, may I say I think that the casting of
Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk is genius - I've hated him since he
collapsed on set when Bush was elected, and now he looks like a mutant
freak, and, yes, I'm goading William December all over the place here)
and he got a reset where he'd never revealed his identity so May was
okay in exchange for the stupidest demand ever - he didn't marry MJ.
Their lives played out the same way, they just lived in sin and didn't
have the ceremony. Unexpected consequences included Harry Osborn coming
back to life and Peter and MJ's as yet born daughter May being wiped
from existence. This was all to make Peter suffer except ... he doesn't
remember any of it happening ...

Anyway, this happened to HIM, but only sort of to the rest of the Marvel
universe. It was a total mess, and they forgot about it, but the
changes are still in place, and that bubble could pop any time for a
reset.

Michael Black

Aug 26, 2014, 7:45:32 PM8/26/14
That makes sense, in a dumb kind of way,

I had read something about Marvel going into the movie business, and
having regrets about rights sold off earlier or something like that.

But in this case, it appeared to be just like any "rebooting", done for
the silliest reasons.

This is probably a silly reason too, but at least there's law behind.

Michael

Michael Black

Aug 26, 2014, 7:47:10 PM8/26/14
On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Jim G. wrote:

> anim8rFSK wrote on 8/24/2014 8:21 AM:
>> In article <d0554c2b-2321-4654...@googlegroups.com>,

>>> The second series is better than the first, simply because:
>>>
>>> Andrew Garfield > Tobey Maguire
>>
>> I've heard it both ways - both your way, and the right way.
>
> It frightens me more than you can know, but I'm with Ian on this one.
> Garfield is *way* better as the starter Parker.

Why would a cat be better in the role than young Toby?

Michael

Michael Black

Aug 26, 2014, 7:52:47 PM8/26/14
On Tue, 26 Aug 2014, Jim G. wrote:

> Michael Black wrote on 8/24/2014 3:25 PM:
>> I was never a Spiderman follower
>
> Now that's just sad. I gave up on superhero comics decades ago, with the
> exceptions being some team books (Avengers (flagship book only), X-Men
> (flagship book only), Fantastic Four and Justice League (flagship book
> only)), along with Spidey and Cap. And then I gave up on Cap when Brubaker
> gave it up for his Image gig and Marvel foolishly gave the title to that
> Remender hack. But Spidey? If I live to be 100, I'll probably still be
> reading 'em if they're still writing 'em.

I didn't say I knew why it happened. I did know about Superman from the
fifties series, rerun in the sixties. I probably saw more Marvel comic
characters, via tv, that Spiderman one, the Fantastic Four and Thor and
the Submariner in those cartoons where very little moved so they were
more like a comic book than animation. But other than a 25cent Fantastic
Four one summer or Christmas, I don't remember bringing home any Marvel
comics. Lots of Superman and his auxiliary comic books, some Classics
Illustrated, some Gold Key. I even had a Captain Action comic book once,
and some of the Star Trek comic books, even a Space Family Robinson comic
or three. Not even Batman, despite the tv series.

So maybe there was some prohibition that I can't remember, some condition
I had to fulfill in order to be allowed to buy comic books.

Michael

chicagofan

Aug 26, 2014, 7:55:26 PM8/26/14
Ian J. Ball wrote:
> In article <ltdjm2$ra2$1...@dont-email.me>, chicagofan <m...@privacy.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Ian J. Ball wrote:
>>> soaps: DOOL - More fallout from that little traitor Will going after his
>>> Mom and "outing" stoopid Abby in the process: I like that Will is
>>> getting ten acres of s&%^ for this!
>> LOL... and I've been cheering him on! It's time for Sammi to get some
>> of what she's been dishing out to everyone in town. :)
> Sami is always right!!!

Lightning should have struck you when you typed that! ;)

>>> Meanwhile, Kwazy Theresa (she's...
>>> so... pretty... [sigh...] ) is still hung up on stoopid, junkie Booster
>>> Gold (Brady) - her storyline would be a lot more interesting if they'd
>>> just leave this snoozer of a story behind.
>> And not make sleazy Theresa pay for assaulting John and putting him in a
>> coma? No way!
> Heck - they should give her a *medal* for sparing us John Black!!! ;p

LOL ... well, when you put it that way, I have to agree. ;) DH is
the least talented actor on that show.

>> I want them to lock her up before she gets up the nerve
>> to kill him. Then she can forget about Brady, after she tells him she
>> lied about him hurting his dad and spends some time behind bars. ;)
> Well, she's inevitably going to lose Brady, yeah, which is another
> reason I wish they'd move on from this storyline as quickly as possible.

I'd like to get away from the John Black centered storyline as well, but
I think that's going to drag on much too long.
bj

David Johnston

Aug 27, 2014, 1:51:59 AM8/27/14
On 8/26/2014 3:07 PM, Jim G. wrote:
> anim8rFSK wrote on 8/26/2014 3:36 PM:
>> In article <ltijtr$4bt$1...@dont-email.me>,

>>> Now that's just sad. I gave up on superhero comics decades ago, with the
>>> exceptions being some team books (Avengers (flagship book only), X-Men
>>> (flagship book only), Fantastic Four and Justice League (flagship book
>>> only)), along with Spidey and Cap. And then I gave up on Cap when
>>> Brubaker gave it up for his Image gig and Marvel foolishly gave the
>>> title to that Remender hack. But Spidey? If I live to be 100, I'll
>>> probably still be reading 'em if they're still writing 'em.
>>
>> I gave up on the Spider when JMS vomited his sexual perversion all over
>> the character.
>
> Can you refresh my memory on what JMS did?

JMS wanted to introduce a pair of characters who would look exactly like
Gwen Stacy and a younger Peter Parker, and were out to get Spider-Man.
His idea is that they would be Peter's children (unknown to him) fast
grown to adulthood. Or nearly. However management wouldn't allow that
so instead of giving up on the idea he instead went with "They were the
Green Goblin's children with Gwen Stacy".

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 27, 2014, 1:52:40 AM8/27/14
On 8/24/2014 8:42 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:
> In article <53faa314$0$36607$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
> Dimensional Traveler <dtr...@sonic.net> wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/2014 12:15 PM, anim8rFSK wrote:

>> <snipped Hollywood constantly re-telling superhero origin stories>

>>> Good point, although maybe they don't because the writers are lazy. :D
>>>
>> So which came first, the chicken or the egg?
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/479/which-came-first-the-chicken
> -or-the-egg

Let me rephrase. Did the writers get lazy because no one paid attention
to what they wrote, or did people stop paying attention to the writers
because they were lazy?

--
"The Snark must flow!" - Shaddam Emperor Animfsk the 8th

David Johnston

Aug 27, 2014, 1:55:08 AM8/27/14
She couldn't have been 7 months pregnant. The pregnancy didn't last
that long.

anim8rFSK

Aug 27, 2014, 8:48:36 AM8/27/14
In article <53fd7212$0$36537$742e...@news.sonic.net>,
I don't know. If writers were ever *not* lazy, it was before my time.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:36:19 PM8/27/14
You've lost me. Aunt May is presently alive and well in the main
universe and married to JJJ's dad, AFAIK. And the Mephisto tie-in that
I'm thinking of also took place in the main universe, resulting in a
history reset within the main universe as opposed to being the creation
of a different/new universe.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:44:31 PM8/27/14
Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and jump the train to a new
set of tracks. And yes, someone *did* have a good sale on metaphors. Why
do you ask?

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:46:23 PM8/27/14
BTR1701 wrote on 8/26/2014 5:16 PM:
> In article <anim8rfsk-2CBED...@news.easynews.com>,
> anim8rFSK <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Still, what the Hell continuity is Parker *in* anyway? As near as I can
>> tell he's still in the Mephisto pocket universe, and within that, in the
>> secret identity mind wipe alternate universe.
>
> See, that's why I gave up on comics as a kid. A "pocket universe"?
> Seriously?

It's a Real Thing, at least in theoretical terms. Some comic book
writers (like the aforementioned hack, Rick Remender) have made a living
out of abusing the concept to create endless fantasy realms where
traditional rules don't have to apply, which is a really convenient
thing for lazy hack writers.

But not all superhero comics are about that, and not all comics are
superhero comics. I hate to hear of someone giving up the entire
platform over something like this. Better to just ban the Remenders of
the world from your shelves.

And where fictional pocket universes are concerned, it's not just
comics, either. Among other examples, the Time Lords all got together
and saved Gallifrey by placing it in a pocket universe in the DOCTOR WHO
episode "The Day of the Doctor" not too long ago.

> I think I'm going to call in to work tomorrow and use that as an excuse
> to stay home. "Boss, yeah, I won't be in today. I'm in the Mephisto
> pocket universe and it's fucking tiring."

They'll tell you to stay in that pocket universe...where you still might
have a job.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:47:12 PM8/27/14
I took all of that to be a permanent reset, given the understandable
real-world need to reboot Parker back into an unmarried superhero again.
And AFAICT, TPTB think the same way, given that they emphasized that
this was a case of erasing history rather than creating a new reality.
Or, as I looked at it then and now, a case of resetting the existing
timeline rather than creating a new and alternate one.

So unless I've been *totally* confused for the past seven years or so,
Aunt May is alive and well in the regular universe. What's funny,
though, is that she currently looks younger in the present-day parts of
things than she does in the 1.x (origins) stories that are coming out as
complements to the main bit. In the origins stuff, she looks like a
hunchback octogenarian with her hair in a bun to go along with a
15-year-old Pete, whereas 30-something-year-old Pete's aunt has great
posture and a trendy hairstyle and is tooling around with some new leg
tech, courtesy of Doc Ock's temporary Spidey gig.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:47:48 PM8/27/14
Marvel's cash flow situation was not enviable back in the '90s.

> I had read something about Marvel going into the movie business, and
> having regrets about rights sold off earlier or something like that.

Yep. It's why we don't see Spidey in any of the Avengers movies. Or any
X-Men crossovers with the Avengers or Iron Man and whatnot in any
movies. And it's why Marvel apparently has a moratorium on any new X-Men
characters in the various comic books, given that those characters would
then be available to Fox to use in future movies. All of which is a damn
shame, IMO.

> But in this case, it appeared to be just like any "rebooting", done for
> the silliest reasons.
>
> This is probably a silly reason too, but at least there's law behind.

But the rights don't require them to reboot and redo origin stories
every time. There's no reason why they couldn't just keep building on
what came before.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:47:57 PM8/27/14
Now that you mention it, the cat *would* have made a better Spidey than
what we got from Tobey.

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:48:26 PM8/27/14
That's an eclectic mix. If there were limits placed on your collection
by your parents, I'd love to know what the parameters were!

Jim G.

Aug 27, 2014, 2:52:21 PM8/27/14
I'd forgotten that JMS was responsible for that stuff. Anim seems to
like to hate JMS for it while I prefer to blame the worst elements of
his tenure on Quesada, who I pretty much hate as much as Anim hates JMS.
Which is why I have to keep being reminded that JMS did this stuff.

David Johnston

Aug 27, 2014, 3:28:55 PM8/27/14
It's like that thing where people pretend there are only x many seasons
of Buffy.

Michael Black

Aug 27, 2014, 3:53:57 PM8/27/14
I can't remember. But if there was some condition, I'm sure it explains
Superman initially, and then later, I did spread out, though that doesn't
explain why no Marvel comics at that later time.

Michael

anim8rFSK

Aug 27, 2014, 5:05:46 PM8/27/14
In article <ltl9g1$laq$3...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> David Johnston wrote on 8/27/2014 12:51 AM:

> >> Can you refresh my memory on what JMS did?
> >
> > JMS wanted to introduce a pair of characters who would look exactly like
> > Gwen Stacy and a younger Peter Parker, and were out to get Spider-Man.

And there's that big reveal when we see the boy twin's face and ... it's
so badly drawn that I don't know who the Hell he's supposed to look
like, but it's sure not Norman, who's easy to do with that distinctive
hair.

> > His idea is that they would be Peter's children (unknown to him) fast
> > grown to adulthood. Or nearly. However management wouldn't allow that
> > so instead of giving up on the idea he instead went with "They were the
> > Green Goblin's children with Gwen Stacy".

Yeah, JMS claims that they said Peter couldn't have kids that old (but
Gwen could!?!?) so they switched it to Norman. None of which makes
sense, and I don't believe it.

> I'd forgotten that JMS was responsible for that stuff. Anim seems to
> like to hate JMS for it while I prefer to blame the worst elements of
> his tenure on Quesada, who I pretty much hate as much as Anim hates JMS.
> Which is why I have to keep being reminded that JMS did this stuff.

The problem is, JMS happily took credit for it all until he found out
that it was hated, and then started blaming Quesada, and saying he
thought he'd be allowed to retcon it all out when they went into the
pocket universe, none of which I buy.
It is loading more messages.