What Did You Watch? 2012-03-30 (Friday)

Ubiquitous

Mar 31, 2012, 5:47:01 AM3/31/12
I watched:

KITCHEN NIGHTMARES
"Zocolo". Gordon saves another restaurant and marriage. Yay? I barely
paid attention while this was on.

FRINGE
"Nothing As It Seems". This week's case seems familiar to Peter and Olivia
(and presumbaly, us the viewers), but no one else. Unfortunately, I did not
remember it either.

MY BIG FAT GYPSY WEDDDING:
An eight-year-old whose father was so unjustly sent to jail </sarcasm>
prepares for her first comunion. Meanwhile, a bunch of Travelers illegally
race their horses down a long stretch of highway. Hmm, I just realized Wesley
Crusher was whisked away by a scammer nameed The Trabeler...

THE O'REILLY FACTOR
• Is the media now inciting racial violence?
• Lou Dobbs on whether the oil companies should receive taxpayer subsidies...
• And should a beauty contestant who used to be a man be allowed to compete
in the Miss Universe pageant? .

HANNITY

DUKES OF HAZARD:
"Return od the Ridge Raiders". Boss Hogg steals money meant for some old
moonshiners' senior citizens' center, causing them to return to reunite.
Oh yeah, BH was going to use the stolen money to create "Hogg Heaven", a
blatent ripoff of the Playboy Mansion.

TMC UNDERGROUND:
"Stunt Rock". Famous Australian stuntman Grant Page comes to America and gets
involved with lame 1980's rock group Sorcery. While Grant discusses his past
exploits from real movies such as "Mad Man Morgan" to a female journalist, we
are treated to what must be the world's lamest rock band performing equally
lame magic tricks by a guy dressed like Merlin. As lame as Pages' flashbacks
were presented like a "clip show", they were clearly much more interesting
than the concert footage.

What did you watch?

--
"If Barack Obama isn't careful, he will become the Jimmy Carter of the
21st century."

Obveeus

Mar 31, 2012, 8:29:09 AM3/31/12

"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> THE O'REILLY FACTOR
> . Is the media now inciting racial violence?
> . Lou Dobbs

Lou Dobbs has been trying to insite racial violence for years.

> . And should a beauty contestant who used to be a man be allowed to
> compete
> in the Miss Universe pageant? .

I wish all the women in beauty contests would be required to undergo
physical inspection and be disqualified if they have had any surgical
alterations. Disqualify them if they even had braces for their teeth or if
their hair isn't is natural color or if they are wearing any makeup.

> What did you watch?

GRIMM: Two members of the police force are effectively turned into cookie
monsters. Am I correct that the new female apothecary is a long term
addition to the show's cast? If so, I like. I also like the fiance as a
sharp shooter, so hopefully the series will finally develop her character
more.

tdciago

Mar 31, 2012, 8:30:20 AM3/31/12
On Mar 31 2012 5:47 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
> What did you watch?

WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? (NBC) - The entire episode is devoted to Rita
Wilson's father, and I cry through almost all of it. Born in Greece,
moved to Bulgaria, drafted into the Bulgarian army and forced to fight on
the side of the Nazis when they occupy his birthplace, sentenced to 3
years in prison for stealing some plastic bottles and a small amount of
money, death of his first wife 3 days after she gave birth to their son
(who died at 4 months), sent to a Communist labor camp, escaped, finally
made it to America. Rita knew nothing about most of this, because her
father never spoke of it. She meets her father's half-brother, who is in
his 90s, and he gives her a letter her father sent him in 1950 shortly
after arriving in the US. Damn, this show is cathartic.

GRIMM (NBC) - Love is in the air, or at least in the cookies. Adalind
puts a spell on Hank with chocolate chips, Sgt. Wu gets extreme goosebumps
when he eats one, Monroe thinks a murder victim's sister is foxy.
Literally. Juliette turns out to be a natural markswoman. Beaver guy
makes himself useful as a handyman. It's all obviously set-up for
something to come.

FASHION POLICE (E!) - Highlight of the episode is a visit from Miss Piggy,
who objects that Joan shouldn't tell pig jokes when Piggy hasn't come
prepared with dinosaur jokes.

-----

shawn

Mar 31, 2012, 9:27:07 AM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:29:09 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> THE O'REILLY FACTOR
>> . Is the media now inciting racial violence?
>> . Lou Dobbs
>
>Lou Dobbs has been trying to insite racial violence for years.
>
>> . And should a beauty contestant who used to be a man be allowed to
>> compete
>> in the Miss Universe pageant? .
>
>I wish all the women in beauty contests would be required to undergo
>physical inspection and be disqualified if they have had any surgical
>alterations. Disqualify them if they even had braces for their teeth or if
>their hair isn't is natural color or if they are wearing any makeup.

I wouldn't disqualify them for fixing their teeth or doing some simple
things like changing hair color (since that can happen naturally just
through spending time outside) or some simple makeup. But I do agree
that ruling out plastic surgery (other than perhaps medically
required) would be a good step. Better to leave young women with the
idea that a more natural beauty is desirable then leaving them all
with the idea that only lots of plastic surgery would ever enable them
to be able to compete in such a contest.

>> What did you watch?
>
>GRIMM: Two members of the police force are effectively turned into cookie
>monsters. Am I correct that the new female apothecary is a long term
>addition to the show's cast? If so, I like. I also like the fiance as a
>sharp shooter, so hopefully the series will finally develop her character
>more.

Cookie!!! That was an interesting episode. I do think the new female
apothecary will show up on the show again but it won't be a regular
thing. The fact the future fiance was so good at shooting that she was
shooting the sort of a patern that experts manage on her first time
says there's something more to her than we know (maybe more than she
knows.) I like that and hope the writers have a plan to develop that
idea.

BTW, people over in the survivor newsgroup have been asking about you.
Stop by sometime and let them know you haven't forgotten them.

suzeeq

Mar 31, 2012, 10:21:54 AM3/31/12
tdciago wrote:
> On Mar 31 2012 5:47 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>> What did you watch?
>
> WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE? (NBC) - The entire episode is devoted to Rita
> Wilson's father, and I cry through almost all of it. Born in Greece,
> moved to Bulgaria, drafted into the Bulgarian army and forced to fight on
> the side of the Nazis when they occupy his birthplace, sentenced to 3
> years in prison for stealing some plastic bottles and a small amount of
> money, death of his first wife 3 days after she gave birth to their son
> (who died at 4 months), sent to a Communist labor camp, escaped, finally
> made it to America. Rita knew nothing about most of this, because her
> father never spoke of it. She meets her father's half-brother, who is in
> his 90s, and he gives her a letter her father sent him in 1950 shortly
> after arriving in the US. Damn, this show is cathartic.

Yes, it was quite a compelling story. I usually only watch bits of the
show as they go back through several generations, but this was on
heckuva history.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 11:05:14 AM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:30:20 -0700, "tdciago" <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:

[..]

>FASHION POLICE (E!) - Highlight of the episode is a visit from Miss Piggy,
>who objects that Joan shouldn't tell pig jokes when Piggy hasn't come
>prepared with dinosaur jokes.

Wow, a direct rip-off of Project Runway.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 11:06:13 AM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

[...]
>• Is the media now inciting racial violence?

This is something new?

Obveeus

Mar 31, 2012, 11:21:39 AM3/31/12

"shawn" <nanof...@gNOTmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:29:09 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>

>>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> THE O'REILLY FACTOR
>>> . And should a beauty contestant who used to be a man be allowed to
>>> compete
>>> in the Miss Universe pageant? .
>>
>>I wish all the women in beauty contests would be required to undergo
>>physical inspection and be disqualified if they have had any surgical
>>alterations. Disqualify them if they even had braces for their teeth or
>>if
>>their hair isn't is natural color or if they are wearing any makeup.
>
> I wouldn't disqualify them for fixing their teeth or doing some simple
> things like changing hair color (since that can happen naturally just
> through spending time outside) or some simple makeup. But I do agree
> that ruling out plastic surgery (other than perhaps medically
> required)

Better be careful...the guy with the sex change will be first in line to
claim that all of his surgical enhancement was 'medically required'.

>>GRIMM: Two members of the police force are effectively turned into cookie
>>monsters. Am I correct that the new female apothecary is a long term
>>addition to the show's cast? If so, I like. I also like the fiance as a
>>sharp shooter, so hopefully the series will finally develop her character
>>more.
>>

> Cookie!!! That was an interesting episode. I do think the new female
> apothecary will show up on the show again but it won't be a regular
> thing. The fact the future fiance was so good at shooting that she was
> shooting the sort of a patern that experts manage on her first time
> says there's something more to her than we know (maybe more than she
> knows.) I like that and hope the writers have a plan to develop that
> idea.

We already saw the rapid aging family (women's) didn't have active powers
until puberty and our hero Grimm didn't have 'powers' until his aunt was
near her end. You might be right that the fiance is just now reaching an
age (or something) of activating whatever she will become.

> BTW, people over in the survivor newsgroup have been asking about you.
> Stop by sometime and let them know you haven't forgotten them.

At some point, Usenet group drop below the mendoza line in quality. For me,
the Survivor group reached that point. I have seen a few of the post boot
interviews that had interesting stuff. Jonas, the latest boot, lost over
$2million in real estate before giving up and becoming a chef. Colton...as
near as I could tell from an interview, never did have an his Appendix
removed.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 11:22:27 AM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>I watched:

Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES

Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious. The book was
better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.

They did manage to show the violence with going over the top. I'm
actually just as happy it isn't an "R".

After this and Winter's Bone, Jennifer Lawrence is an official big leaguer
-- she was excellent. And just about time. I'm *really* getting tired of
Kirstin Stewart who, from the previews, it looks like she was simply
miscast in Snow White and the Huntsman.

They could have done a lot more with the art direction, IMHO.

Grade: A

Ubiquitous

Mar 31, 2012, 11:29:24 AM3/31/12
In article <sv9j49x...@app-01.ezprovider.com>, tdc...@aol.com wrote:

>FASHION POLICE (E!) - Highlight of the episode is a visit from Miss Piggy,
>who objects that Joan shouldn't tell pig jokes when Piggy hasn't come
>prepared with dinosaur jokes.

BWAH! OK, I laughed at that one.

Ubiquitous

Mar 31, 2012, 11:29:58 AM3/31/12
In article <jl6tam$bnl$1...@dont-email.me>, Obv...@aol.com wrote:
>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

>> THE O'REILLY FACTOR
>> . Is the media now inciting racial violence?
>> . Lou Dobbs
>
>Lou Dobbs has been trying to insite racial violence for years.

TROLL-O-METER

5* 6* *7
4* *8
3* *9
2* *10
1* | *stuporous
0* -*- *catatonic
* |\ *comatose
* \ *clinical death
* \ *biological death
* _\/ *demonic apparition
* * *damned for all eternity

Thanatos

Mar 31, 2012, 11:53:38 AM3/31/12
In article <ab7en79v9uh7pc7sl...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> >I watched:
>
> Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
>
> Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
> little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
> more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious.

Yeah, they made it seem like the girl was actually into the guy she was
fighting with (until the last scene, at least), when the book made it
clear she wanted no part of the 'romance' and was just playing for the
cameras.

> The book was better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.

I thought 'Jaws' was good, but Spielberg made a better movie out of it.

> They did manage to show the violence with going over the top.

I just wish they'd figured out a way to do it without all the shaky-cam.

EGK

Mar 31, 2012, 12:04:15 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:22:27 -0400, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:
I was thinking of going to see this. I liked Jennifer Lawrence a lot in
Winter's bone. Reading about The Hunger Games, I'm left with the sense
it's a movie for kids or younger audiences. Not that it's a bad thing but
I have no interest in the Twilight Saga for instance. Is that the case
with this movie?

anim8rFSK

Mar 31, 2012, 12:10:56 PM3/31/12
In article <atropos-4244D9...@news.giganews.com>,
Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <ab7en79v9uh7pc7sl...@4ax.com>,
> Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
> >
> > >I watched:
> >
> > Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
> >
> > Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
> > little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
> > more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious.
>
> Yeah, they made it seem like the girl was actually into the guy she was
> fighting with (until the last scene, at least), when the book made it
> clear she wanted no part of the 'romance' and was just playing for the
> cameras.
>
> > The book was better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.
>
> I thought 'Jaws' was good, but Spielberg made a better movie out of it.

Oooo. I thought Jaws was one of the worst books I've ever read, from
the dumbed down Moby Dick rip off plot, to the inserted out of nowhere
sex chapter. I thought Spielberg did a great job, especially
considering the material. First thing to do when filming a Peter
Benchley book, is to throw away the Peter Benchley book.

> > They did manage to show the violence with going over the top.
>
> I just wish they'd figured out a way to do it without all the shaky-cam.

Hunger Games has shaky cam? We talked about going to it last night in a
DBox theater where the seats move. 2:22 of seats moving to shaky cam?
Barf!

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 31, 2012, 12:15:28 PM3/31/12
I caught it last week. I thought it was OK but I'm not sure if I'd give
it an A. Still, I'm curious where the series goes from here.

This week's movie for me was Wrath of the Titans. It was better than
the first one (which wasn't hard) but the overall story was still weak
and for the most part miscast. Ares in particular should have been
played by a different actor. I was also left with a strong suspicion
that 15 to 30 minutes of (necessary) plot was left on the cutting room
floor. It was another case of the previews being better than the actual
movie (lately movies with bad previews have been good).

I also watched:

Nikita - While Amanda plots with Gogol, Percy keeps his eyes on the
prize and schemes to retake Division. I think Nikita and Alex had a
scene or two as well. :-) The players stay the same but their position
on the board are constantly in motion. Great episode. Best they've
done in a while.

Fringe - The werehedgehogs or whatever are back. Basically retelling
the same story from an earlier season with a few new twists. It was an
OK monster of the week story but it was lacking the usual chemistry and
wit the show often has.

30 Rock (On Demand) - Somewhat of a disappointment. The plot (what I
remember of it) was a bit muddled. The most interesting aspect was
probably the McBeth/burger sketch.

Todd and the Book of Pure Evil - "Daddy Tissues" - It took three
episodes but the show finally found it's grove again. In this episode
Jenny's father is better and wants to join Todd's gang (and use Todd and
the Book for his own gains). After being rebuffed by the gang,
primarily for being too old, he gets hold of the book and uses it to
steal the skin from other students so he can infiltrate Todd's gang.
The evil guidance counselor didn't get much screen time but made the
most of what he had.

(Recorded for later: Grimm, Spartacus and Supernatural)

Arthur Lipscomb

Mar 31, 2012, 12:28:51 PM3/31/12
On 3/31/2012 9:10 AM, anim8rFSK wrote:

>> I just wish they'd figured out a way to do it without all the shaky-cam.
>
> Hunger Games has shaky cam? We talked about going to it last night in a
> DBox theater where the seats move. 2:22 of seats moving to shaky cam?
> Barf!

I don't recall there being shaky cam. *Maybe* there was a scene or two
but I doubt more than that.

Ian J. Ball

Mar 31, 2012, 1:37:28 PM3/31/12
In article <jl6jrm$sbn$1...@dont-email.me>,
Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:

> What did you watch?

Two day mash-up!! ('Cos I didn't do one of these yesterday...)

Psych (recorded) - I thoroughly enjoyed this episode in which Shawn and
Gus team up with French Stewart (who is creepy enough to end up being
the prime suspect, 'natch) in order to clear the name of kooky coroner
Woody (who, on his end, is helped out of a case screw-up by Glenne
Headly!!). Lots of good stuff in this one (including a guest appearance
by Ivana Milicevic as a kooky psychic!!).

The Vampire Diaries - My GAWD this is getting tedious!! For like the
umpteenth time this season, the gang actually has a full-proof plan to
kill The Originals once and for all, and of course by pure luck The
Originals completely destroy that plan and the way to execute it. I am
getting really REALLY sick of these guys, and seriously wish they'd all
just go away (awful Elena and the Salvatorre brothers, included). Which
is amazing when you consider that one of them is Claire Holt, and others
are Nina Dobrev and Candice Accola, but I'm so sick of them that I wish
even they'd just all go away too.
P.S. They killed off Cassidy Freeman here, so maybe I'm liberated
from watching this show anymore...

The Secret Circle - Decent, but I'm not liking the direction they're
going with Blackwell here (it would be more interesting if he were
actually on the level, and not scheming to do something bad like it
seems he is). But you can tell he's up to no good with his big "We'll
kill all the Witch Hunters, and then witches won't have to hide
anymore!!" I'm shocked that speech didn't set off alarm bells with
anybody in the circle.
Meanwhile, Diana jumps on Faye's "I hate Cassie/Everything's Always
About Cassie" train, and I actually wanted to slap her.
P.S. So are we never going to get to see Alexia Fast again?...

The Mentalist - A really lackluster episode which didn't have nearly
enough of the team, and had too much Jane, and 3rd parties that I didn't
care about.

Body of Proof (recorded) - A completely over-the-top episode in which
Dani the sexy (annoying) ambulance tech does indeed bite the Big One...
leading to the ultimate unleashing of The PLAGUE that will DESTROY all
humanity!!!
Well, sort of. Anyway, this episode was definitely over-the-top, esp.
the ending. Part 2 airs next week.

Awake (recorded) - This one was awfully procedure-y, though it did have
a decent subplot about the wife wanting to take a job in Oregon
[shudder!].

Missing (recorded) - Aunjanue Ellis (was that really her in the pilot
too? sure didn't seem like it!) gets stuck playing YA annoying character
(fresh off playing the annoying Hightower on "The Mentalist"). Anyway,
Ellis shows up here as Becca's back-home 'bestie' who's just gotten
dumped by her back-home hubby, and so shows up in Italy to see why Becca
hasn't been texting her 'bestie'. Of course, it's not long before Ellis
stumbles upon Becca's true identity and is promptly kidnapped by baddie
Victoria Smurfit. Wackiness, and high speed motorboat chases ensue.
Moral of the story: It doesn't pay to be the 'bestie' of a retired
superspy-turned-soccer-mom... :(
Meanwhile, the more interesting part of the story was actually spent
with Becca's son being held in captivity. Also, at least now we know(?)
who's holding him, and maybe why.

Smash (recorded) - Director Derek, realizing that he's got an
anachronistic stinker of a broadway show on his hands (are they writing
a show for the 1950s here?!...), actually does something proactive and
puts together a 'new spin' on "Marilyn" with McPhee singing for him,
which ends up producing a 'modern take' on the subject, and by far the
best musical number that we've seen from this show since the pilot (or,
at least, since McPhee's cover of _Blondie's_ "Call Me").
Of course, for his troubles, Derek gets 10 acres of s*** because he's
"betrayed" the awful, leaden songwriting duo of Tom & Julia, and somehow
*he's* in the wrong.
Suddenly, I'm not to optimistic about this show's-within-a-show's
chances of actually being decent. :/
Meanwhile, I guess I now know with 100% certainty that TeenNICK's
"Gigantic" is dead, as Grace Gummer shows up here playing Angelica
Huston's sanctimonious, annoying, do-gooder daughter.

Nikita - I really enjoyed this episode, which was basically Nikita vs.
Amanda, with generous side-doses of Percy and Alex thrown in. Loved the
ending to this one. Yeah, I really, really liked this one. :)

CSI:NY - Spencer Grammer shows up on this one, and you know what that
means! (one guess as to who the killer is!!). Anyway, in this epie, an
anonymous background lab tech in Mac's and Jo's lab gets murdered in
exactly the same way as a prominent cold case from 1957, and Lee Majors
ends up showing up to help the team catch their killer.
I thought this was a pretty good episode, actually (are they
seriously thinking about *not* renewing this show?!!). I do wish I know
who played the lab tech victim, though - IMBd was no help here.

Blue Bloods - A kind of annoying episode (really, people?! the
"integrity" of those stupid, useless "gun buybacks" is more important
than catching a killer?!), though it did have some good Danny stuff
(esp. with Tom Selleck). I did like the subplot with teen Nicky's
friend's sexting scandal, and the ultimate resolution to that storyline.

Recorded for later: Uh, let's see... Dance Academy, Person of Interest,
Degrassi, Fringe, and Hunger (a movie off Chiller).

--
"We're gonna need a lot of therapy." - the character Rachel in "Bunnyman"
(named 1 of the 5 Worst Horror Films of 2011 by 28DaysLaterAnalysis.com!!)

anim8rFSK

Mar 31, 2012, 2:32:33 PM3/31/12
In article
<ijball-NO_SPAM-0E6...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> In article <jl6jrm$sbn$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
> > What did you watch?
>
> Two day mash-up!! ('Cos I didn't do one of these yesterday...)
>
> Psych (recorded) - I thoroughly enjoyed this episode in which Shawn and
> Gus team up with French Stewart (who is creepy enough to end up being
> the prime suspect, 'natch) in order to clear the name of kooky coroner
> Woody (who, on his end, is helped out of a case screw-up by Glenne
> Headly!!). Lots of good stuff in this one (including a guest appearance
> by Ivana Milicevic as a kooky psychic!!).

+1

> The Mentalist - A really lackluster episode which didn't have nearly
> enough of the team, and had too much Jane, and 3rd parties that I didn't
> care about.

I've heard it both ways.

Obveeus

Mar 31, 2012, 3:13:40 PM3/31/12

"Arthur Lipscomb" <art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
The film uses shaky-cam extensively. Every fight scene, for example,
replaces the cost to film action sequences well with simple shaky cam
footage instead. I commented in the current films newsgroup about the movie
looking like it was 'found footage' style filming or that they used the
shaky cam to avoid an R rating. Some people seem to have noticed it while
other seem to have not noticed it.

Obveeus

Mar 31, 2012, 3:20:00 PM3/31/12

"Ian J. Ball" <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> The Vampire Diaries -
> P.S. They killed off Cassidy Freeman here, so maybe I'm liberated
> from watching this show anymore...

A must see Anim8rFSK episode.

> Smash (recorded) - Director Derek, realizing that he's got an
> anachronistic stinker of a broadway show on his hands (are they writing
> a show for the 1950s here?!...), actually does something proactive and
> puts together a 'new spin' on "Marilyn" with McPhee singing for him,

I never could quite tell who's idea it was to show Marilyn as something
other than a gay man's wet dream. Was it the director or the producer that
got that particular ball rolling?

> Meanwhile, I guess I now know with 100% certainty that TeenNICK's
> "Gigantic" is dead, as Grace Gummer shows up here

...looking so much like her mom that it was distracting.

Ubiquitous

Mar 31, 2012, 3:58:54 PM3/31/12
mason...@gmail.com wrote:
>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net>
>>wrote:

>>THE O'REILLY FACTOR
>>• Is the media now inciting racial violence?
>
>This is something new?

Is that a rhetorical question? hah ha

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 4:23:23 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:53:38 -0700, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

>In article <ab7en79v9uh7pc7sl...@4ax.com>,
> Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>> >I watched:
>>
>> Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
>>
>> Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
>> little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
>> more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious.
>
>Yeah, they made it seem like the girl was actually into the guy she was
>fighting with (until the last scene, at least), when the book made it
>clear she wanted no part of the 'romance' and was just playing for the
>cameras.

It's too bad, in a way, since they had an actress with enough talent to
play the ambiguity she felt in the book.

But I suspect the studio hacks just weren't comfortable without a canned
romance.

>> The book was better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.
>
>I thought 'Jaws' was good, but Spielberg made a better movie out of it.

Well, "good" just has too many meanings. I thought they were both
entertaining and both crap.

>> They did manage to show the violence with going over the top.
>
>I just wish they'd figured out a way to do it without all the shaky-cam.

I would have said "They could have done a lot more with the art direction
and cinematography", but that last word is long and hard to type.

In fact, considering the budget, both were subpar. But the book was good
enough that all they had to do was put it on film without screwing it up
completely, which they did.

Another plus, though -- they didn't overdo the special effects.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 4:30:04 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 12:04:15 -0400, EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:22:27 -0400, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>>I watched:
>>
>>Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
>>
>>Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
>>little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
>>more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious. The book was
>>better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.
>>
>>They did manage to show the violence with going over the top. I'm
>>actually just as happy it isn't an "R".
>>
>>After this and Winter's Bone, Jennifer Lawrence is an official big leaguer
>>-- she was excellent. And just about time. I'm *really* getting tired of
>>Kirstin Stewart who, from the previews, it looks like she was simply
>>miscast in Snow White and the Huntsman.
>>
>>They could have done a lot more with the art direction, IMHO.
>>
>>Grade: A
>
>I was thinking of going to see this. I liked Jennifer Lawrence a lot in
>Winter's bone.

You should read the book. It's freaking great.

>Reading about The Hunger Games, I'm left with the sense
>it's a movie for kids or younger audiences. Not that it's a bad thing but
>I have no interest in the Twilight Saga for instance. Is that the case
>with this movie?

We've been over this, LOL. It's a whole lot better for a general audience
than Twilight. It's good. And in fact, the more I think about it, the
more I think it actually benefitted from being PG-13.

Whereas "Twilight" would have been a whole lot better with a hard "R" :)

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 4:33:04 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 09:15:28 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<art...@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 3/31/2012 8:22 AM, Mason Barge wrote:
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:47:01 -0400, Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I watched:
>>
>> Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
>>
>> Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
>> little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
>> more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious. The book was
>> better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.
>>
>> They did manage to show the violence with going over the top. I'm
>> actually just as happy it isn't an "R".
>>
>> After this and Winter's Bone, Jennifer Lawrence is an official big leaguer
>> -- she was excellent. And just about time. I'm *really* getting tired of
>> Kirstin Stewart who, from the previews, it looks like she was simply
>> miscast in Snow White and the Huntsman.
>>
>> They could have done a lot more with the art direction, IMHO.
>>
>> Grade: A
>
>I caught it last week. I thought it was OK but I'm not sure if I'd give
>it an A. Still, I'm curious where the series goes from here.

Well, as always, the book was better than the movies. You should read the
last two books in the trilogy.

I actually think I enjoyed the movie more because I had read the book.
Maybe. It lets you fill in background details.

>This week's movie for me was Wrath of the Titans. It was better than
>the first one (which wasn't hard) but the overall story was still weak
>and for the most part miscast. Ares in particular should have been
>played by a different actor. I was also left with a strong suspicion
>that 15 to 30 minutes of (necessary) plot was left on the cutting room
>floor. It was another case of the previews being better than the actual
>movie (lately movies with bad previews have been good).

Thx. Maybe I'll give it a pass.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 4:39:07 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 10:37:28 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
<ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

[...]
>Awake (recorded) - This one was awfully procedure-y, though it did have
>a decent subplot about the wife wanting to take a job in Oregon
>[shudder!].

I'm going to guess you love Laura Allen as much as I do. But I'm 95% sure
she was going to go to school there, not get a job. Law school?

Geez, she played Ms. "make friends easily and knows how to have fun" so
convincingly, I was sure she was going to blow off hubby.

(And actually, I bet 75-85% of the women in my law school class who were
married, and whose husbands weren't in school with them, were divorced
within a couple of years.)

Ken Wesson

Mar 31, 2012, 5:49:03 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:23:23 -0400, Mason Barge wrote:

> Another plus, though -- they didn't overdo the special effects.

Another plus is that they didn't do something that it would have been
physically impossible for them to do?

Ian J. Ball

Mar 31, 2012, 5:41:05 PM3/31/12
In article <fupen7tdqcjbek6pk...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Whereas "Twilight" would have been a whole lot better with a hard "R" :)

Everybody wants to see poor ol' Frowny Face get carved up like a
Thanksgiving Turkey, huh?... :( ;p

Thanatos

Mar 31, 2012, 6:01:10 PM3/31/12
In article <lhpen7tcafgarir4k...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:53:38 -0700, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> >In article <ab7en79v9uh7pc7sl...@4ax.com>,
> > Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Movie night: THE HUNGER GAMES
> >>
> >> Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
> >> little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
> >> more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious.
> >
> >Yeah, they made it seem like the girl was actually into the guy she was
> >fighting with (until the last scene, at least), when the book made it
> >clear she wanted no part of the 'romance' and was just playing for the
> >cameras.
>
> It's too bad, in a way, since they had an actress with enough talent to
> play the ambiguity she felt in the book.
>
> But I suspect the studio hacks just weren't comfortable without a canned
> romance.
>
> >> The book was better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.
> >
> >I thought 'Jaws' was good, but Spielberg made a better movie out of it.
>
> Well, "good" just has too many meanings. I thought they were both
> entertaining and both crap.

'Star Wars' was also better as a movie than as a book.

Thanatos

Mar 31, 2012, 6:01:48 PM3/31/12
In article <anim8rfsk-FF11D...@news.easynews.com>,
Yep. All the action sequences are shaky-cam. The rest of it is
regular-cam.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 7:12:32 PM3/31/12
A lot of movies are, it's just that not many people read the book.

Cincinnati Kid was a book! More currently, so were The Ides of March and
The Descendants.

Mason Barge

Mar 31, 2012, 7:14:27 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:41:05 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
<ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>In article <fupen7tdqcjbek6pk...@4ax.com>,
> Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Whereas "Twilight" would have been a whole lot better with a hard "R" :)
>
>Everybody wants to see poor ol' Frowny Face get carved up like a
>Thanksgiving Turkey, huh?... :( ;p

I was thinking more along sex/nudity lines. "True Blood"!

Thanatos

Mar 31, 2012, 7:54:30 PM3/31/12
In article <gs3fn71sd406c4btj...@4ax.com>,
Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 14:41:05 -0700, "Ian J. Ball"
> <ijball-...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
> >In article <fupen7tdqcjbek6pk...@4ax.com>,
> > Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Whereas "Twilight" would have been a whole lot better with a hard "R" :)
> >
> >Everybody wants to see poor ol' Frowny Face get carved up like a
> >Thanksgiving Turkey, huh?... :( ;p
>
> I was thinking more along sex/nudity lines. "True Blood"!

Oh, god, no. Then we'd have had to endure that fey Pattinson freak in
the nude.

shawn

Mar 31, 2012, 8:16:36 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:21:39 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>"shawn" <nanof...@gNOTmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:29:09 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"Ubiquitous" <web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>>>

>>>GRIMM: Two members of the police force are effectively turned into cookie
>>>monsters. Am I correct that the new female apothecary is a long term
>>>addition to the show's cast? If so, I like. I also like the fiance as a
>>>sharp shooter, so hopefully the series will finally develop her character
>>>more.
>>>

>> Cookie!!! That was an interesting episode. I do think the new female
>> apothecary will show up on the show again but it won't be a regular
>> thing. The fact the future fiance was so good at shooting that she was
>> shooting the sort of a patern that experts manage on her first time
>> says there's something more to her than we know (maybe more than she
>> knows.) I like that and hope the writers have a plan to develop that
>> idea.
>
>We already saw the rapid aging family (women's) didn't have active powers
>until puberty and our hero Grimm didn't have 'powers' until his aunt was
>near her end. You might be right that the fiance is just now reaching an
>age (or something) of activating whatever she will become.

We should see something happening there before the end of the season.

>> BTW, people over in the survivor newsgroup have been asking about you.
>> Stop by sometime and let them know you haven't forgotten them.
>
>At some point, Usenet group drop below the mendoza line in quality. For me,
>the Survivor group reached that point. I have seen a few of the post boot
>interviews that had interesting stuff. Jonas, the latest boot, lost over
>$2million in real estate before giving up and becoming a chef. Colton...as
>near as I could tell from an interview, never did have an his Appendix
>removed.

Yes, Colton didn't have appendicitis. Instead he had some bacterial
infection that took him multiple treatments to cure.

Jeremy

Mar 31, 2012, 9:55:07 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:29:09 -0400, "Obveeus" <Obv...@aol.com> wrote:

>GRIMM: Two members of the police force are effectively turned into cookie
>monsters. Am I correct that the new female apothecary is a long term
>addition to the show's cast? If so, I like.

I wouldn't say "long term addition" right away, it's probably one of
those "let's see if the audience likes her" type things. That said,
her addition to the show will be helpful to Nick whenever he needs
some mysterious disease/symptoms explained. I'd like to see more of
her as Monroe's love interest, that could be fun!

>I also like the fiance as a
>sharp shooter, so hopefully the series will finally develop her character
>more.

I'm iffy on the fiance. I like that she's not the typical wimpy
damsel-in-distress type, but apart from the dragon episode, she's not
had much to do.

Jeremy

Mar 31, 2012, 10:02:44 PM3/31/12
wrote:

>Solid - I had a great time. Hollywood only managed to screw up one or two
>little things having to do with the romantic angle -- they make it into
>more of a love story, but not enough to make it obnoxious. The book was
>better but, if the book is good, the movie's never better.

I haven't read the book, I thought the movie was just OK. It
definitely felt aimed at teenagers, especially the romantic angle.
There wasn't much depth to the dystopian future theme; I was
underwhelmed by that and thought Sutherland severely underused.
Hopefully there's more to his character in the next 2 books.

>After this and Winter's Bone, Jennifer Lawrence is an official big leaguer
>-- she was excellent.

I had to be reminded that she was in X-Men: First Class as Mystique!
She was very nice in that.

Jeremy

Mar 31, 2012, 10:09:09 PM3/31/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:01:10 -0700, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> [...]

Change 'never' to 'rarely' and and I totally agree. A lot of excellent
movies were adaptations of books, but I haven't read all the books to
know for sure if they were better.

>'Star Wars' was also better as a movie than as a book.

Star Wars was a book? (A book written about the movie doesn't count.)

Jeremy

Mar 31, 2012, 10:37:18 PM3/31/12
I screwed up the snipping:

>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 11:22:27 -0400, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
>wrote:

The Hunger Games

EGK

Mar 31, 2012, 10:37:08 PM3/31/12
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:09:09 +0800, Jeremy <jer...@supernews.spamtrap>
wrote:
It was a novelization of the screenplay I believe. Similar to Isaac
Asimov's novelizaiton of Fantastic Voyage.

One example a lot of people give of a movie that was better than the book
was M*A*S*H. I'm not sure I agree as I liked the book quite a bit. I
loved the movie too though. I always felt the TV show, despite all the
accolades, was a very watered down version of it.

Thanatos

Apr 1, 2012, 12:23:02 AM4/1/12
In article <aqdfn7pkgpmltqfb7...@4ax.com>,
Yes, Lucas wrote it as a novel first. It didn't get much play.

Ken Wesson

Apr 1, 2012, 1:35:16 AM4/1/12
Aside from her one fatal flaw, of course.

Emma Watson

Apr 1, 2012, 5:35:43 AM4/1/12
In article <jl6jrm$sbn$1...@dont-email.me>, web...@polaris.net wrote:

>MY BIG FAT GYPSY WEDDDING:
>An eight-year-old whose father was so unjustly sent to jail </sarcasm>
>prepares for her first comunion. Meanwhile, a bunch of Travelers illegally
>race their horses down a long stretch of highway.

Maybe these producers weren't given much positive footage from these people,
but I can't help watch and think that the honeymoon is over. Pun there
intended or not. Between the footage of the mother feeding her daughter lines
as if the cameras aren't going to pick it up no matter how softer her voice
gets as the interview goes on to the whining and sniveling entitlement of
last night.

I loved how dim the one guy was in that he assumed the workers he saw being
employed in neighborhoods had walked up to the door and tried to sell their
services. Instead of actually being contacted for a specific task by the
person doing the employing. Maybe he is completely honest and maybe it is
unfair to paint every traveler with the stereotype of grifter. But the
stereotype came about because these was a raft of fraud involving
travelers/gypsies doing the knock on the door to tell you you have shutters
ready to fall off or roof damage or driveway issues. It, of course, never
seems to occur to him that he not get whatever job he is prepared to do or
pretend to do when he presents himself. And his smirking when discussing his
legal problems nicely skirted over the fact whether he had done the crime and
immediately wallowed in self-pity that whatever he was forced to do was not
his fault since someone wasn't giving the job he wanted.

The pony racing people just make my blood boil. They have this sense that the
road is theirs simply because it is there. And that anyone else using it has
to cede to their dangerous games of entitlement. Funny how they are all about
old tradition and yet lark around in their motorized vehicles to not only get
to the race but actually monitor and carry the race out. So the idea that it
somehow is a cultural preservation issue is ridiculous.

And it seems to me the racing aspect of their culture is incredibly
confrontational. I think mocking the law and pissing off non travelers is a
huge part of the whole race. There are plenty of slow country lanes they
could do a fast blockade of to carry out their race. There are probably
fields with dirt lanes they could use. I think they love dragging the police
out knowing for the most part they will carry out their lark and get away
with it. If the police don't arrive too late I suspect the race is considered
a failure. Certainly it looked like they wanted the police to show up for the
filming as I think they could have loaded both trailers pretty much in the
same amount of time instead of letting the pair of ponies graze along the
berm.

And then the mother moaning and groaning about her situation. After sniping
about how non travelers are so stupid and ignorant because they might have an
issue with someone having a horse in estate housing. Obviously a horse is not
just like a cat or a dog. And then after high tailing it out of one squat
leaving what I thought was, if not a huge mess, still a nasty amount of
litter left for someone else to clean up, she parks on another area of
developed property's common ground and snivels about how unfair it is that
she has no hot water or power etc. It's hard to feel sorry for a functioning
adult who shits herself and then complains about the smell instead changing
her clothes and washing herself off.

Yeah hot water and power tend to come with houses that don't consider a horse
a common pet. It was amazing how entitled and smug she was at the start and
how quickly it all fell away.

But over all it was the incredible level of immature entitlement that really
came across as a culture. The whining and sniveling when they simply saw
someone not just letting them do whatever they wanted wherever and whenever.
It was like the producers of the show went from fascinated
charmed-in-spite-of-themselves by the whole garish and bad boy culture in
season one to keying the ex's car and throwing all his stuff out in the rain
season two. I wonder if this will be the trend or if there will be some kind
of redemption arc like they tried with the horse fair episode?

erilar

Apr 1, 2012, 8:16:50 PM4/1/12
In article <8dffn79muu3a1jrsn...@4ax.com>,
EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:09:09 +0800, Jeremy <jer...@supernews.spamtrap>
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:01:10 -0700, Thanatos <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> >Star Wars was a book? (A book written about the movie doesn't count.)
The original? Author was, if I remember correctly, George Lucas. It
had stuff that wasn't in the movie, I remember that much, but I read it
a LONG time ago.

> It was a novelization of the screenplay I believe. Similar to Isaac
> Asimov's novelizaiton of Fantastic Voyage.
>
> One example a lot of people give of a movie that was better than the book
> was M*A*S*H. I'm not sure I agree as I liked the book quite a bit. I
> loved the movie too though. I always felt the TV show, despite all the
> accolades, was a very watered down version of it.

I never read the book nor saw the movie, so I can't play in this one.
It was the last half-hour show I watched to the end.

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

erilar

Apr 1, 2012, 8:22:10 PM4/1/12
"tdciago" <tdc...@aol.com> wrote:

> GRIMM (NBC) - Love is in the air, or at least in the cookies. Adalind
> puts a spell on Hank with chocolate chips, Sgt. Wu gets extreme goosebumps
> when he eats one, Monroe thinks a murder victim's sister is foxy.
> Literally. Juliette turns out to be a natural markswoman. Beaver guy
> makes himself useful as a handyman. It's all obviously set-up for
> something to come.

It was interesting, though. And I like seeing Monroe with a possible
serious love interest 8-) I admit to real curiosity about where the
beaver guy thing is going.

Luckily I happened to check CBS in advance so I could record the first
new CSI NY in many a week. I realized there's a big advantage in
watching something like this at an odd time: I wasn't watching the
clock, so I could suspect wrong people along the way as I'm supposed to,
because I didn't know how close to the end of the show it was 8-)

--
Erilar, biblioholic medievalist

EGK

Apr 1, 2012, 8:37:29 PM4/1/12
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:16:50 -0500, erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid>
wrote:
In my experience most people who saw the movie first thought Donald
Sutherland WAS Hawkeye Pierce and the movie was better. Those who saw the
TV show first liked that and Alan Alda better.

I thought the movie was much grittier and darker than the TV show. I mean
they played the same music for the TV theme but the movie actually sang the
lyrics to the song "Suicide is Painless". No way that was ever getting
passed the censors on TV.

David Johnston

Apr 1, 2012, 8:46:18 PM4/1/12
On 4/1/2012 6:16 PM, erilar wrote:
> In article<8dffn79muu3a1jrsn...@4ax.com>,
> EGK<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:09:09 +0800, Jeremy<jer...@supernews.spamtrap>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 15:01:10 -0700, Thanatos<atr...@mac.com> wrote:
>
>>> Star Wars was a book? (A book written about the movie doesn't count.)
> The original? Author was, if I remember correctly, George Lucas.

Actually it was Alan Dean Foster but Lucas's name was on the cover.

David Johnston

Apr 1, 2012, 8:47:18 PM4/1/12
On 4/1/2012 6:37 PM, EGK wrote:
> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 19:16:50 -0500, erilar<dra...@chibardun.net.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> In article<8dffn79muu3a1jrsn...@4ax.com>,
>> EGK<m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>> One example a lot of people give of a movie that was better than the book
>>> was M*A*S*H. I'm not sure I agree as I liked the book quite a bit. I
>>> loved the movie too though. I always felt the TV show, despite all the
>>> accolades, was a very watered down version of it.
>>
>> I never read the book nor saw the movie, so I can't play in this one.
>> It was the last half-hour show I watched to the end.
>
> In my experience most people who saw the movie first thought Donald
> Sutherland WAS Hawkeye Pierce and the movie was better. Those who saw the
> TV show first liked that and Alan Alda better.
>
> I thought the movie was much grittier and darker than the TV show.

Can't sustain that kind of thing for 14 seasons.

shawn

Apr 1, 2012, 9:07:20 PM4/1/12
I think both the movie and the TV show were good. It's true that the
movie was grittier and that worked well for a movie. I don't think
that sort of edge would have worked well in a TV show. Especially at
that time when the audiences just didn't expect to see such a thing on
family TV.

shawn

Apr 1, 2012, 9:08:32 PM4/1/12
On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 18:46:18 -0600, David Johnston <Da...@block.net>
wrote:
If it was Alan Dean Foster then I suspect it was just a novelization
of the original movie script. He's done a lot of those over the years.
I guess it's a quick buck.

David Johnston

Apr 1, 2012, 10:36:42 PM4/1/12
Well yeah. Obviously the movie wasn't an adaptation of the book.

Dano

Apr 1, 2012, 10:57:10 PM4/1/12
"EGK" wrote in message news:snshn7dacdlncaedb...@4ax.com...
======================================

I guess I'm your exception. I liked both. A lot. Pretty much equally.

Mason Barge

Apr 2, 2012, 11:28:46 AM4/2/12
On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:37:08 -0400, EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:09:09 +0800, Jeremy <jer...@supernews.spamtrap>
>wrote:

>>Change 'never' to 'rarely' and and I totally agree. A lot of excellent
>>movies were adaptations of books, but I haven't read all the books to
>>know for sure if they were better.
>>
>>>'Star Wars' was also better as a movie than as a book.
>>
>>Star Wars was a book? (A book written about the movie doesn't count.)
>
>It was a novelization of the screenplay I believe. Similar to Isaac
>Asimov's novelizaiton of Fantastic Voyage.

Since Lucas got nominated by several organizations for "Best Original
Screenplay" -- meaning best screenplay NOT adapted from a book -- I would
imagine this is correct :)

The Academy Award back then was called "Best Writing, Screenplay Written
Directly for the Screen" and he was in fact nominated.

Mason Barge

Apr 2, 2012, 11:29:24 AM4/2/12
I mean a book from which a movie is adapted, smart ass.

EGK

Apr 2, 2012, 11:34:30 AM4/2/12
On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 11:28:46 -0400, Mason Barge <mason...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 22:37:08 -0400, EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 10:09:09 +0800, Jeremy <jer...@supernews.spamtrap>
>>wrote:

>>>Change 'never' to 'rarely' and and I totally agree. A lot of excellent
>>>movies were adaptations of books, but I haven't read all the books to
>>>know for sure if they were better.

>>>Star Wars was a book? (A book written about the movie doesn't count.)
>>
>>It was a novelization of the screenplay I believe. Similar to Isaac
>>Asimov's novelizaiton of Fantastic Voyage.
>
>Since Lucas got nominated by several organizations for "Best Original
>Screenplay" -- meaning best screenplay NOT adapted from a book -- I would
>imagine this is correct :)
>
>The Academy Award back then was called "Best Writing, Screenplay Written
>Directly for the Screen" and he was in fact nominated.

I was a kid but I bought a paperback copy of Star Wars and read it before I
was aware the movie was being made. I wish I still had it. I don't
remmeber there even being any obvious movie tie-in on the cover.

Thanatos

Apr 2, 2012, 12:15:27 PM4/2/12
In article <udhjn79g8kbpdsho4...@4ax.com>,
Well, I read the book before the movie came out and I still have my old
beat-up copy. There's no reference to any movie anywhere on it as is
typical with books based on film releases, so while it may have been
adapted from a screenplay, it wasn't as a movie tie-in. Lucas had
notorious problems getting anyone to make Star Wars and he probably had
Foster adapt it as a novel as he despaired of ever seeing it on screen.

shawn

Apr 2, 2012, 12:59:23 PM4/2/12
From the Wikipedia entry:

It has long been known that Foster wrote the original novel of Star
Wars which had been credited solely to George Lucas. When asked if it
was difficult for him to see Lucas get all the credit for Star Wars,
Foster said "Not at all. It was George's story idea. I was merely
expanding upon it. Not having my name on the cover didn't bother me in
the least. It would be akin to a contractor demanding to have his name
on a Frank Lloyd Wright house." Lucas brought to Foster the original
screen play, and Foster helped to flesh out the backstory of the time,
place, planets, races, history and technology that exists in the
entire Star Wars canon.

Steve Newport

Apr 2, 2012, 6:45:18 PM4/2/12
Lou Dobbs has been trying to insite racial violence for years.
SN: True. And he reminds me of the actress Sada Thompson.

**********************************
"March went out like a lion, a whippin' up the water in the bay..."--
Oscar Hammerstein II

Steve Newport

Apr 2, 2012, 6:57:42 PM4/2/12
From: ijball-...@mac.invalid (Ian J. Ball) Smash (recorded)
Grace Gummer shows up here playing Angelica Huston's daughter.
------------------------------------
SN: Who gets big bucks from her Dad and will probably end up producing
for Broadway. The director and the composer should be written out of the
show.
-------------------------------------
Blue Bloods - it did have some good Danny stuff (esp. with Tom Selleck).
I did like the subplot with teen Nicky's friend's sexting scandal, and
the ultimate resolution to that storyline.
--------------------------------------
SN: I hated the subplot and its resolution. Selleck's limited acting
gets worse each week.

Steve Newport

Apr 2, 2012, 7:24:29 PM4/2/12
From: Obv...@aol.com (Obveeus)
Smash (recorded) Grace Gummer shows up here ...looking so much like her
mom that it was distracting.
----------------------------------
SN: It's the same with Mamie.

Jim G.

Apr 3, 2012, 3:46:14 PM4/3/12
Ian J. Ball sent the following on 3/31/2012 12:37 PM:
> In article<jl6jrm$sbn$1...@dont-email.me>,
> Ubiquitous<web...@polaris.net> wrote:
>
>> What did you watch?
>
> Psych (recorded) - I thoroughly enjoyed this episode in which Shawn and
> Gus team up with French Stewart (who is creepy enough to end up being
> the prime suspect, 'natch) in order to clear the name of kooky coroner
> Woody (who, on his end, is helped out of a case screw-up by Glenne
> Headly!!). Lots of good stuff in this one (including a guest appearance
> by Ivana Milicevic as a kooky psychic!!).

I've always liked Woody, so I was really hoping that this one wouldn't
bomb. And I was very happy with it in the end.

> The Secret Circle - Decent, but I'm not liking the direction they're
> going with Blackwell here (it would be more interesting if he were
> actually on the level, and not scheming to do something bad like it
> seems he is). But you can tell he's up to no good with his big "We'll
> kill all the Witch Hunters, and then witches won't have to hide
> anymore!!" I'm shocked that speech didn't set off alarm bells with
> anybody in the circle.
> Meanwhile, Diana jumps on Faye's "I hate Cassie/Everything's Always
> About Cassie" train, and I actually wanted to slap her.

Yeah, where did all of that come from? Cassie has been the least likely
to go all drama queen all along, and now they're making her out to be
the high-maintenance one?

> P.S. So are we never going to get to see Alexia Fast again?...

She was Voodoo Guy's ex, right? I'm not up on the young actresses out
there, but she's a very cute girl with personality to spare, from the
looks of it. She would have made a better Cassie than Cassie.

--
Jim G. | Waukesha, WI
"Venus was at its peak brilliance last night. You probably thought you

Micky DuPree

Apr 8, 2012, 10:13:55 PM4/8/12
shawn <nanof...@gNOTmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, 01 Apr 2012 20:37:29 -0400, EGK <m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>> In my experience most people who saw the movie [_M*A*S*H_] first
>> thought Donald Sutherland WAS Hawkeye Pierce and the movie was
>> better. Those who saw the TV show first liked that and Alan Alda
>> better.

It was the other way around for me. I saw the movie first, thought it
was good, but not as spectacular as many were claiming. I read the book
next, and thought it was merely diverting. I saw the TV series third
and thought it had more going for it than either of its predecessors.

>> I thought the movie was much grittier and darker than the TV show.

That was true in most ways. While I tend to prefer grittier and darker,
they don't always signify superior quality, though.

As far as I know, the TV series has always been shown in the U.K.
without the laugh track. I've seen it that way and it improves the
experience.

> I think both the movie and the TV show (_M*A*S*H_) were good. It's
> true that the movie was grittier and that worked well for a movie.

The book mostly came off as nihilistic self-involved fraternity humor.
It wasn't a bad romp, but you couldn't accuse it of having much gravitas
attached to it.

The movie continued in that vein, with some moments and lines coming off
better than the book managed, but Altman tried to elevate it to having
the moral authority of a protest against a senseless war. I couldn't
really buy the two different tones as coexisting seamlessly. Then the
last part degenerated into a sports comedy that had nothing to do with
war or antiwar sentiment at all. The only theme that unites the whole
movie is pulling shit and getting away with it because you're
indispensable.

The TV series started out as a tamer version of the frat-house nihilism,
but soon felt that its bread was better buttered on the antiwar protest
side. As early as ep.17, "Sometimes You Hear the Bullet," there was a
newly serious tone in the TV series that was missing from the book or
the movie, and McLean Stevenson knocked the "Rules of War" speech out of
the park.

-Micky