Today's premieres and other notes (Saturday, Dec. 1)

Robin Miller

Dec 1, 2018, 5:33:07 PM12/1/18

Memories of the Alhambra [new] (3:01 am, Netflix)

After suffering a setback following his friend's betrayal, Yoo Jin-woo
(Hyun Bin), an investment company CEO, travels to Granada, Spain for a
business trip to meet game programmer Jung Se-joo (Park Chan-yeol).
There, he stays at a hostel owned by a former guitarist named Jung
Hee-joo (Park Shin-hye); and both get entangled in a mysterious
incident. South Korean series. 16 episodes, apparently released once a week.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memories_of_the_Alhambra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lcy3XUDd_A

https://www.netflix.com/title/81004280

Battle (movie) (3:01 am, Netflix)

After Amalie's dad goes bankrupt, the young dancer's affluent life
collapses. But she finds a new beat to follow after meeting hip-hop
dancer Mikael. Norwegian film.

http://www.nordiskfilmogtvfond.com/news/stories/skams-lisa-teige-to-star-in-norwegian-dance-film-battle

https://www.netflix.com/title/81002685

Crossroads: One Two Jaga [One Two Jaga] (movie) (3:01
am, Netflix)

In Kuala Lumpur, an abused domestic worker tries to escape to Indonesia,
while an idealistic cop insists on fighting corruption -- at a heavy
price. Indonesian film.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6603812/

https://www.netflix.com/title/81015153

Hanazuki: Full of Treasures [new] (1 pm, Disney Family
Channel)

Hanazuki, a spirited young moonflower, is at the center of this bold new
galaxy where she embarks on an unpredictable hero's journey to save her
moon from dark forces that threaten to destroy it. Through this
adventure, she meets new friends, and discovers a world full of
surprises and new feelings, ultimately learning that her ever-changing
moods prove to be quite powerful. Animated chilren's show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanazuki:_Full_of_Treasures

A Twist of Christmas (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

In the frenzy before Christmas, two single parents­ busy working mom
Abby (Vanessa Lachey) and her son, and overwhelmed lawyer Ryan (Brendon
Zub) and his daughter, accidentally mix up their toys at a crowded
department store. As a result, both of their Christmases appear to be
ruined. Although the two can’t stand each other, the only way to get
things back on track is to help each other salvage their holiday plans ­
not realizing they're falling for each other in the process.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8796786/

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-twist-of-christmas

Mingle All the Way (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Mingle All the Way is a new networking app designed to pair busy
professionals together for upcoming events, without long-term romance.
Molly, founder of the app, is determined to prove to her family that it
is a success. Therefore, she joins the app, and meets another busy
professional, Jeff. When Molly and Jeff are matched, they are both
horrified to realize they’ve already had not one, but two disastrous
previous encounters. Nevertheless, they agree to stay matched for all
their respective upcoming holiday engagements. As the pair gets closer,
perhaps their business arrangement might turn into something more this
holiday season. Stars Jen Lilley, Brant Daugherty and Lindsay Wagner.

https://www.imdb.com/title/

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/mingle-all-the-way

Disney Parks Presents a 25 Days of Christmas Holiday Party
(special) (8 pm, Disney Channel)

https://www.disneyabcpress.com/disneychannel/shows/disney-parks-presents-a-descendants-magical-holiday-celebration/

Christmas Wonderland (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)

Heidi, who initially left her small town of Pleasant Valley with the
dream of one day becoming a successful painter, has put her own art on
hold to excel as an art gallery curator. Now, a week before the
gallery’s big Christmas party, she must return home to watch her niece
and nephew. She comes face to face with her high school love, who is in
over his head after he must find a new last-minute location for the
Christmas high-school dance. Heidi offers to help him and together they
discover a beautiful place for the dance, capturing the Christmas
spirit. With Christmas fast approaching, Heidi soon becomes torn between
the life she built in the city and the life she is surprisingly charmed
by back in Pleasant Valley. Starring Emily Osment, Ryan Rottman, and
Kelly Hu.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9028856/

http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/christmas-wonderland

Love for Christmas (movie) (10 pm, Lifetime Channel)

When Heather, a local theater director, and Bobby run into each other
upon his return home after leaving for the Navy years prior, they
quickly realize that their mutual childhood crush might lead to an
unexpected romance. Stars Shantel Vansanten [Julie from Shooter], Rob
Mayes, Nikki Deloach, Mark Famiglietti, Alex Peters, Peter Holden, Matt
Corboy, Maxim Knight, and Orson Bean. Not on IMDb.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/love-for-christmas

Tomorrow's advance notes (incomplete--more later):

Discovery Live: Into the Blue Hole (documentary) (4-6
pm, Discovery Channel)

Merry Wishmas (movie) (7 pm, TV One)

Christmas Catch (movie) (7 pm, Up)

Garth: Live at Notre Dame! (special) (8 pm, CBS)

A Majestic Christmas (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

The Christmas Pact (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)

Can best friends fall in love? That's the question next door neighbors
Sadie (Kyla Pratt) and Ben (Jarod Joseph) will answer as they keep the
spirit of Christmas and the magic of their childhood pact alive! When
they were eight years old, they planted a scrawny 3-foot tall Christmas
tree behind their church and the Christmas Pact began. But as life gets
in the way the pact is threatened to be broken. Ben and Sadie need some
Christmas Magic to recommit to each other and promise to keep their
special holiday traditions. With each Christmas that passes by, Ben and
Sadie's Christmas tree grows taller and stronger; and so does their
love. The pact bearing fruit to the magic of Christmas and the
undeniable answer. Yes, friends can fall in love!

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-christmas-pact

Berlin Station (season 3 premiere) (9 pm, Epix)

CIA agent Rafael Torres (Ismael Cruz Córdov) is sent to Berlin as the
team under Chief of Station Valerie Edwards (Michelle Forbes) deal with
the delicate balance between the US, Russia and NATO countries.

Christmas Cupid's Arrow (movie) (9 pm, ION)

Holly, a professor at a small college, has had a long history of finding
the wrong guy. She's accomplished quite a bit in her life, but after her
younger sister announces she is pregnant, Holly decides she is going to
make an effort to meet Mr. Right. Meanwhile, David, another professor,
is a single father, very smart and kind, but not the type that Holly
takes notice of when the two are assigned to plan the Christmas Formal.
At the insistence of her best friend, Holly signs up for the dating
website "Cupid's Arrow," where she meets Josh, an attorney just hired by
the school. He's everything she wants on the surface, but has little to
say beyond his work and good looks. Josh and David were roommates in
college, so Josh recruits David to write poetic messages in an attempt
to win Holly over. Eventually, Holly notices that Josh's spoken words
don't match the glowing, beautifully written texts and emails she's
grown to adore. After confronting Josh, she begins to realize that the
man she fell in love with may just be the one who wrote those words to
her. Cast: Elisabeth Harnois, Jonathan Togo, Chad Michael Collins, Sasha
Jackson.

https://iontelevision.com/holiday-movie/christmas-cupids-arrow

Life-Size 2 (movie) (9 pm, Freeform)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkG3Y5RQ6g8

Once Upon a Christmas Miracle (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)

Nightflyers [new] (10 pm, Syfy)

Former author George R. R. Martin's 1980 sci-fi/horror novella—and
subsequent 1987 feature film adaptation—is the inspiration for this new
Syfy series, reportedly the network's most expensive show to date. Set
in 2093, the show follows the crew of the most advanced spacecraft ever
built as it heads to the edge of our solar system. What awaits them
there is bloody, creepy, and horrific—but also much less campy than the
1987 movie. (Several writers who saw the first footage unveiled at
Comic-Con compared it to The Shining.) The cast features Gretchen Mol,
Eoin Macken, David Ajala, and Brian F. O'Byrne, and the series is being
helmed (after a last-minute showrunner change) by TV newcomer Jeff
Buhler, who also penned the adaptation. The unconventional rollout will
see new episodes air across five consecutive nights this week (and again
next week beginning on Sunday), while all 10 episodes will also be
available to view immediately beginning tonight on VOD and online at
Syfy's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijll0ZlAxQ

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/nightflyers [Metacritic score 47]

A Star for Christmas (movie) (10 pm, Lifetime Chanel)

Cupcakery owner Cassie can't help falling for her hunky new customer,
but when he turns out to be action superstar Alex Gray, will their
relationship survive Hollywood and the holidays? Stars Corey Sevier,
Briana Evigan, Karissa Vacker, Travis Van Winkle, Jeremy Howard, Sean
Stone and Brooke Burns.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-star-for-christmas

Camping (season 1 finale) (10 pm, HBO)_

2018 National Christmas Tree Lighting (special) (10
to 11:30 pm, Ovation/Reelz)

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Holiday Special (special)
(10-11 pm, ABC)

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Dec 1, 2018, 7:01:27 PM12/1/18
Sat, 01 Dec 2018 15:32:54 -0700 Robin Miller<robin....@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

> Tomorrow's advance notes (incomplete--more later):

Ditto for the snarkage

> Discovery Live: Into the Blue Hole (documentary) (4-6
> pm, Discovery Channel)

Is this about Smurf abuse?

> Merry Wishmas (movie) (7 pm, TV One)

Oh, come on Robin

> Christmas Catch (movie) (7 pm, Up)

Now you're not only making up shows, you're making up channels!

> Garth: Live at Notre Dame! (special) (8 pm, CBS)

Boycott the racist eye

> A Majestic Christmas (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

What's really compelling about this programming is the vivid descriptions!

> The Christmas Pact (movie) (8 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Can best friends fall in love? That's the question next door neighbors
> Sadie (Kyla Pratt) and Ben (Jarod Joseph) will answer as they keep the
> spirit of Christmas and the magic of their childhood pact alive! When
> they were eight years old, they planted a scrawny 3-foot tall Christmas
> tree behind their church and the Christmas Pact began. But as life gets
> in the way the pact is threatened to be broken. Ben and Sadie need some
> Christmas Magic to recommit to each other and promise to keep their
> special holiday traditions. With each Christmas that passes by, Ben and
> Sadie's Christmas tree grows taller and stronger; and so does their
> love. The pact bearing fruit to the magic of Christmas and the
> undeniable answer. Yes, friends can fall in love!
>
> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/the-christmas-pact

Yeah, I get it, we were better off with just the titles and our imaginations.

> Berlin Station (season 3 premiere) (9 pm, Epix)
>
> CIA agent Rafael Torres (Ismael Cruz Córdov) is sent to Berlin as the
> team under Chief of Station Valerie Edwards (Michelle Forbes) deal with
> the delicate balance between the US, Russia and NATO countries.

Well, it's not like I get EPIX

> Christmas Cupid's Arrow (movie) (9 pm, ION)
>
> Holly, a professor at a small college, has had a long history of finding
> the wrong guy. She's accomplished quite a bit in her life, but after her
> younger sister announces she is pregnant, Holly decides she is going to
> make an effort to meet Mr. Right. Meanwhile, David, another professor,
> is a single father, very smart and kind, but not the type that Holly
> takes notice of when the two are assigned to plan the Christmas Formal.
> At the insistence of her best friend, Holly signs up for the dating
> website "Cupid's Arrow," where she meets Josh, an attorney just hired by
> the school. He's everything she wants on the surface, but has little to
> say beyond his work and good looks. Josh and David were roommates in
> college, so Josh recruits David to write poetic messages in an attempt
> to win Holly over. Eventually, Holly notices that Josh's spoken words
> don't match the glowing, beautifully written texts and emails she's
> grown to adore. After confronting Josh, she begins to realize that the
> man she fell in love with may just be the one who wrote those words to
> her. Cast: Elisabeth Harnois, Jonathan Togo, Chad Michael Collins, Sasha
> Jackson.
>
> https://iontelevision.com/holiday-movie/christmas-cupids-arrow

How big is his nose again?

> Life-Size 2 (movie) (9 pm, Freeform)
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkG3Y5RQ6g8

SQUIGGLE!!!!!1!1!!!

> Once Upon a Christmas Miracle (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)

So mysterious!

> Nightflyers [new] (10 pm, Syfy)
>
> Former author George R. R. Martin's 1980 sci-fi/horror novella—and
> subsequent 1987 feature film adaptation—is the inspiration for this new
> Syfy series, reportedly the network's most expensive show to date. Set

Costing upwards of $12.00!

> in 2093, the show follows the crew of the most advanced spacecraft ever
> built as it heads to the edge of our solar system. What awaits them
> there is bloody, creepy, and horrific—but also much less campy than the
> 1987 movie. (Several writers who saw the first footage unveiled at
> Comic-Con compared it to The Shining.)

The really bad remake

> The cast features Gretchen Mol,
> Eoin Macken, David Ajala, and Brian F. O'Byrne, and the series is being
> helmed (after a last-minute showrunner change) by TV newcomer Jeff
> Buhler, who also penned the adaptation.

Wow. Replaced show runner, no experience, writes it. This has 'Ian bad'
written all over it.

> The unconventional rollout will
> see new episodes air across five consecutive nights this week (and again
> next week beginning on Sunday), while all 10 episodes will also be
> available to view immediately beginning tonight on VOD and online at
> Syfy's website.

Okay, that's a scheme to limit word of mouth

> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijll0ZlAxQ
>
> https://www.metacritic.com/tv/nightflyers[Metacritic score 47]
>
> A Star for Christmas (movie) (10 pm, Lifetime Chanel)
>
> Cupcakery owner Cassie can't help falling for her hunky new customer,
> but when he turns out to be action superstar Alex Gray, will their
> relationship survive Hollywood and the holidays? Stars Corey Sevier,
> Briana Evigan, Karissa Vacker, Travis Van Winkle, Jeremy Howard, Sean
> Stone and Brooke Burns.

I wouldn't say any of them is exactly a 'star'

> https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-star-for-christmas
>
> Camping (season 1 finale) (10 pm, HBO)_

Whatever

> 2018 National Christmas Tree Lighting (special) (10
> to 11:30 pm, Ovation/Reelz)

It's down to this America? The National Christmas Tree Lighting is on a
channel nobody gets and another nobody pays for?
PBS should have to carry stuff like this.

> The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Holiday Special (special)
> (10-11 pm, ABC)

I didn't even know they still did these, after that insane FCC's
commissioner's daughter had her senile father go after them for corrupting
her newborn.

Thanks!

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

Dec 1, 2018, 8:45:10 PM12/1/18
On 2018-12-01 22:32:54 +0000, Robin Miller said:

> Hanazuki: Full of Treasures [new] (1 pm, Disney Family Channel)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> --Robin

FAIL! FAIL!!

:p

Robin Miller

Dec 1, 2018, 8:45:47 PM12/1/18
Here are the complete listings for Sunday:

Discovery Live: Into the Blue Hole (live event) (4-6 pm,
Discovery Channel)

Located 46 miles off the coast of Belize, the Blue Hole is known around
the world for its crystal-clear water and its abundance of sharks and
sea life. But this remote spot has only ever been fully explored once –
back in 1971 by legendary ocean expert Jacques Cousteau himself. But
what mysteries lie at the greatest depth of this ancient sink hole that
is millions of years old?

https://press.discovery.com/us/dsc/programs/discovery-live-blue-hole/

Merry Wishmas (movie) (7 pm, TV One)

Stars Tamela Mann as Keneisha ‘Kenni’ Wright, a single and successful
Atlanta businesswoman who hasn’t returned home for the holidays in
years, and her husband David Mann as Jessie Jenkins, an old high school
friend. The two reunite at Jessie’s fledgling wellness facility, the
Beverly Living Center, where Kenni is reminded of the transformational
power of love, hope and faith, amplified by the spirit of the holidays.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9150394/ [as "Merrry Wish-Mas"]

https://tvone.tv/show/merry-wishmas/

Christmas Catch (movie) (7 pm, Up)

Detective Mackenzie Bennett [Emily Alatalo] loves Christmas. But her
plans to spend the holidays with her family, friends – not to mention a
handsome new stranger, Carson [Franco Lo Presti], who just moved to town
– are put on hold when the F.B.I. tells her that her gorgeous new friend
is a suspect in a diamond heist. Now, under cover (and under tight
supervision), Mack finds herself getting close to a man who might be a
criminal, but who also might be the man of her dreams! Lauren Holly,
Joseph Cannata, Eric Hicks and Genelle Williams also appear.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8322908/

https://www.uptv.com/movies/christmas-catch/

Garth: Live at Notre Dame! (special) (8-10 pm, CBS)

https://deadline.com/2018/10/garth-brooks-live-at-notre-dame-cbs-premiere-date-1202484575/

A Majestic Christmas (movie) (8 pm, Hallmark Channel)

Christmas in the charming town of Briar Falls will be bittersweet this
year when architect Nell goes back to her hometown having been given the
job of turning the historic Majestic Playhouse into a modern multiplex,
much to the town’s objections. This job is Nell’s first promotion, and
one she wishes she hadn’t been chosen for, especially when she meets the
new owner of the theater, Connor, whose vision and ideas clash with
Nell’s. Since Connor hasn’t had much experience celebrating Christmas,
Nell hopes that if she can give him a crash course in Christmas during
the town’s Twelve Day Festival, that he might just change his mind about
modernizing the Majestic. Starring Jerrika Hinton and Christian Vincent.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9033636/

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-majestic-christmas

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9059048/

[...]

her. Stars Elisabeth Harnois, Jonathan Togo, Chad Michael Collins, and
Sasha Jackson.

Note: Many listing sites seem to list A Wedding for Christmas in this
slot, but Ion's website swears that that movie was on last Sunday and
Christmas Cupid's Arrow is on this Sunday.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8846262/
Grace is a hot mess in the middle of a quarter-life crisis, realizing
that she is in over her head as a toy company's CEO. To make it worse,
her wild-child ways are causing the company's stock to plummet. Stars
Tyra Banks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkG3Y5RQ6g8

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3920782/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Size_2

Once Upon a Christmas Miracle (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)

After receiving a medical diagnosis before the holidays, Heather Krueger
discovers she is in urgent need of a life-saving liver transplant.
Facing incredible odds against finding a donor, she’s shocked when a
stranger, Chris Dempsey, volunteers to donate half his liver to her. As
Heather and Chris get to know one another and their families before and
after the transplant, they form a deep connection and begin to wonder if
the closeness they feel goes beyond the special connection between organ
donor and recipient. The two must decide if Chris’s selfless act is the
beginning of a beautiful, true love story. Starring Aimee Teegarden,
Brett Dalton, and Lolita Davidovich.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9087578/

http://www.hallmarkmoviesandmysteries.com/once-upon-a-christmas-miracle

Nightflyers [new] (10 pm, Syfy)

Former author George R. R. Martin's 1980 sci-fi/horror novella—and
subsequent 1987 feature film adaptation—is the inspiration for this new
Syfy series, reportedly the network's most expensive show to date. Set
in 2093, the show follows the crew of the most advanced spacecraft ever
built as it heads to the edge of our solar system. What awaits them
there is bloody, creepy, and horrific—but also much less campy than the
1987 movie. The cast features Gretchen Mol, Eoin Macken, David Ajala,
Brian F. O'Byrne, and Jodie Turner-Smith [Azima Kandie from The Last
Ship], and the series is being helmed (after a last-minute showrunner
change) by TV newcomer Jeff Buhler, who also penned the adaptation. The
unconventional rollout will see new episodes air across five consecutive
nights this week (and again next week beginning on Sunday), while all 10
episodes will also be available to view immediately beginning tonight on
VOD and online at Syfy's website.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wijll0ZlAxQ

https://www.metacritic.com/tv/nightflyers [Metacritic score 47]

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6903284/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightflyers_(TV_series)

https://www.syfy.com/nightflyers

A Star for Christmas (movie) (10 pm, Lifetime Channel)

Cupcakery owner Cassie can't help falling for her hunky new customer,
but when he turns out to be action superstar Alex Gray, will their
relationship survive Hollywood and the holidays? Stars Corey Sevier,
Briana Evigan, Karissa Vacker, Travis Van Winkle, Jeremy Howard, Sean
Stone and Brooke Burns. From 2012 but listed as a premiere by Lifetime.

https://thenationaltree.org/

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Holiday Special (special)
(10-11 pm, ABC)

https://abc.go.com/news/insider/watch-the-victorias-secret-fashion-show-holiday-special-on-the-abc-app

--Robin

Robin Miller

Dec 1, 2018, 9:17:02 PM12/1/18
Ian J. Ball wrote:
> On 2018-12-01 22:32:54 +0000, Robin Miller said:
>
>> Hanazuki: Full of Treasures       [new]          (1 pm, Disney Family
>> Channel)
>                                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>> --Robin
>
> FAIL! FAIL!!
>
> :p

In one ear ...

:-)

--Robin

anim8rfsk

Dec 1, 2018, 11:09:31 PM12/1/18
Sat, 01 Dec 2018 18:45:35 -0700 Robin Miller<robin....@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
Yay!

> Joseph Cannata, Eric Hicks and Genelle Williams also appear.

However did she stay unpregnant long enough?
SQUIGGLE!!!1!!111!!

> Grace is a hot mess in the middle of a quarter-life crisis, realizing
> that she is in over her head as a toy company's CEO. To make it worse,
> her wild-child ways are causing the company's stock to plummet. Stars
> Tyra Banks.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkG3Y5RQ6g8
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3920782/
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life-Size_2
>
> Once Upon a Christmas Miracle (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)
>
> After receiving a medical diagnosis before the holidays, Heather Krueger
> discovers she is in urgent need of a life-saving liver transplant.
> Facing incredible odds against finding a donor, she’s shocked when a
> stranger, Chris Dempsey, volunteers to donate half his liver to her. As
> Heather and Chris get to know one another and their families before and
> after the transplant, they form a deep connection and begin to wonder if
> the closeness they feel goes beyond the special connection between organ
> donor and recipient. The two must decide if Chris’s selfless act is the
> beginning of a beautiful, true love story. Starring Aimee Teegarden,
> Brett Dalton, and Lolita Davidovich.
>
> https://www.imdb.com/title/tt9087578/

Gah

Wouldn't it be great if their nicknames were "Liver" and "Onions"?
So CHRISTMAS CATCH for Ian and nothing for anybody else.
I stand by my previous snarks.

shawn

Dec 1, 2018, 11:25:55 PM12/1/18
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 17:32:54 -0500, Robin Miller
<robin....@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Garth: Live at Notre Dame! (special) (8 pm, CBS)

I wouldn't know that he was still performing if he didn't do these
shows once a decade.

>Nightflyers [new] (10 pm, Syfy)
>
>Former author George R. R. Martin's 1980 sci-fi/horror novella—and
>subsequent 1987 feature film adaptation—is the inspiration for this new
>Syfy series, reportedly the network's most expensive show to date. Set
>in 2093, the show follows the crew of the most advanced spacecraft ever
>built as it heads to the edge of our solar system. What awaits them
>there is bloody, creepy, and horrific—but also much less campy than the
>1987 movie. (Several writers who saw the first footage unveiled at
>Comic-Con compared it to The Shining.) The cast features Gretchen Mol,
>Eoin Macken, David Ajala, and Brian F. O'Byrne, and the series is being
>helmed (after a last-minute showrunner change) by TV newcomer Jeff
>Buhler, who also penned the adaptation. The unconventional rollout will
>see new episodes air across five consecutive nights this week (and again
>next week beginning on Sunday), while all 10 episodes will also be
>available to view immediately beginning tonight on VOD and online at
>Syfy's website.

Saw the first episode. It's not bad. Though I still have to wonder
about these L1's. Apparently they are all murderous souls so that
everyone just wants to kill them on sight. Unfortunately it appears
that whatever gives the ability to get into other people's minds is
also somehow tied to the aliens they hope to meet so they need their
one L1 even if he does appear to be trying to kill them off. Given how
their L1 behaves I can see why some might connect his behavior with
Jack's madness in the SHINING.

Another very bizzare thing about the show (something you'll find out
quickly so not really a spoiler) is their captain. He never leaves his
quarters, ever. Monitors the ship through a number of cameras and can
use the same devices to project a hologram of himself. I can't figure
out if he's some sort of computer simulation or if there's something
wrong with him that forces him to stay in his quarters. There's
definitely something going on there.

Oh, something else they don't point out right away but you'll learn as
you watch is the Nightflyer crew is one group and then the people in
control of the L1 and hoping to find the aliens is another group.
Naturally enough the two do not get along to the point where violence
is a definite possibility. (Not that the writers would use such an
obvious plot device.)

Ian J. Ball

Dec 1, 2018, 11:26:00 PM12/1/18
On 2018-12-02 00:01:15 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Sat, 01 Dec 2018 15:32:54 -0700 Robin Miller<robin....@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Tomorrow's advance notes (incomplete--more later):
>
>> The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Holiday Special (special)
>> (10-11 pm, ABC)
>
> I didn't even know they still did these, after that insane FCC's
> commissioner's daughter had her senile father go after them for corrupting
> her newborn.
>
> Thanks!

What's interesting is that these used to be on CBS, but this one's on
ABC - so CBS must have dropped them. If ABC drops them too, Vic's
Secret's shows probably won't be on a broadcast net anymore...

Ian J. Ball

Dec 1, 2018, 11:34:29 PM12/1/18
On 2018-12-02 01:45:35 +0000, Robin Miller said:

> Robin Miller wrote:
>
> Here are the complete listings for Sunday:
>

> Christmas Cupid's Arrow (movie) (9 pm, ION)
>
> Holly, a professor at a small college, has had a long history of
> finding the wrong guy. She's accomplished quite a bit in her life, but
> after her younger sister announces she is pregnant, Holly decides she
> is going to make an effort to meet Mr. Right. Meanwhile, David, another
> professor, is a single father, very smart and kind, but not the type
> that Holly takes notice of when the two are assigned to plan the
> Christmas Formal. At the insistence of her best friend, Holly signs up
> for the dating website "Cupid's Arrow," where she meets Josh, an
> attorney just hired by the school. He's everything she wants on the
> surface, but has little to say beyond his work and good looks. Josh and
> David were roommates in college, so Josh recruits David to write poetic
> messages in an attempt to win Holly over. Eventually, Holly notices
> that Josh's spoken words don't match the glowing, beautifully written
> texts and emails she's grown to adore. After confronting Josh, she
> begins to realize that the man she fell in love with may just be the
> one who wrote those words to her. Stars Elisabeth Harnois, Jonathan
> Togo, Chad Michael Collins, and Sasha Jackson.
>
> Note: Many listing sites seem to list A Wedding for Christmas in this
> slot, but Ion's website swears that that movie was on last Sunday and
> Christmas Cupid's Arrow is on this Sunday.

That's correct - I watched "A Wedding for Christmas" last week - that's
the one that starred Cristine Prosperi (and which I thought was quite
poorly done!).

> Once Upon a Christmas Miracle (movie) (9 pm, Hallmark M&M)
>
> After receiving a medical diagnosis before the holidays, Heather
> Krueger discovers she is in urgent need of a life-saving liver
> transplant. Facing incredible odds against finding a donor, she’s
> shocked when a stranger, Chris Dempsey, volunteers to donate half his
> liver to her. As Heather and Chris get to know one another and their
> families before and after the transplant, they form a deep connection
> and begin to wonder if the closeness they feel goes beyond the special
> connection between organ donor and recipient. The two must decide if
> Chris’s selfless act is the beginning of a beautiful, true love story.
> Starring Aimee Teegarden, Brett Dalton, and Lolita Davidovich.

Aimee Teegarden?! I might have to record this!...

> Nightflyers [new] (10 pm, Syfy)
>
> Former author George R. R. Martin's 1980 sci-fi/horror novella—and
> subsequent 1987 feature film adaptation—is the inspiration for this new
> Syfy series, reportedly the network's most expensive show to date. Set
> in 2093, the show follows the crew of the most advanced spacecraft ever
> built as it heads to the edge of our solar system. What awaits them
> there is bloody, creepy, and horrific—but also much less campy than the
> 1987 movie. The cast features Gretchen Mol, Eoin Macken, David Ajala,
> Brian F. O'Byrne, and Jodie Turner-Smith [Azima Kandie from The Last
> Ship], and the series is being helmed (after a last-minute showrunner
> change) by TV newcomer Jeff Buhler, who also penned the adaptation. The
> unconventional rollout will see new episodes air across five
> consecutive nights this week (and again next week beginning on Sunday),
> while all 10 episodes will also be available to view immediately
> beginning tonight on VOD and online at Syfy's website.

I'm not ready for this yet - I'll pull this off OnDemand or Siffy's app
in a couple of weeks.

> A Star for Christmas (movie) (10 pm, Lifetime Channel)
>
> Cupcakery owner Cassie can't help falling for her hunky new customer,
> but when he turns out to be action superstar Alex Gray, will their
> relationship survive Hollywood and the holidays? Stars Corey Sevier,
> Briana Evigan, Karissa Vacker, Travis Van Winkle, Jeremy Howard, Sean
> Stone and Brooke Burns. From 2012 but listed as a premiere by Lifetime.
>
> --Robin

Eh... - Briana Evigan of 5 years ago might have been enough to entice
me, but I think this is a "no"...

anim8rfsk

Dec 2, 2018, 12:35:46 AM12/2/18
Sat, 01 Dec 2018 21:25:57 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2018-12-02 00:01:15 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > Sat, 01 Dec 2018 15:32:54 -0700 Robin Miller<robin....@invalid.invalid>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Tomorrow's advance notes (incomplete--more later):
> >
> > > The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show Holiday Special (special)
> > > (10-11 pm, ABC)
> >
> > I didn't even know they still did these, after that insane FCC's
> > commissioner's daughter had her senile father go after them for corrupting
> > her newborn.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> What's interesting is that these used to be on CBS, but this one's on
> ABC - so CBS must have dropped them. If ABC drops them too, Vic's
> Secret's shows probably won't be on a broadcast net anymore...

Well, CBS are racists, and probably don't want women that appeal to straight
men.