Hugh Laurie to Play Villain in 'Robocop'

He is the Resurrection and the Light: The Rapacious Mr. Hole

Jun 12, 2012, 10:37:31 PM6/12/12
by Borys Kit

Hugh Laurie is in negotiations to play the villain in Robocop, MGM and Sony’s remake of the classic 1987 sci-fi action movie.

Gary Oldman Joining MGM's 'Robocop' Remake (Exclusive)

Jose Padilha is directing the film, which sees Joel Kinnaman (The Killing) as the title hero, a cop named Alex Murphy who is brought back from the brink of death and turned into a cyborg police officer.

Gary Oldman already has been cast as his scientist-creator and Samuel L. Jackson is playing a media mogul.

Laurie will play the evil and ultra-rich CEO of Omnicorp, the company that makes Robocop.

The actor, repped by WME and Hamilton Hodell in the U.K., starred as the abrasively eccentric and brilliant title character of House M.D. for eight seasons, gaining five Emmy nominations in the process. He most recently appeared on the big screen inThe Oranges, anchoring the ensemble indie drama.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hugh-laurie-play-villain-robocop-336463

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 12, 2012, 10:57:11 PM6/12/12
>by Borys Kit

>Hugh Laurie is in negotiations to play the villain in Robocop, MGM and
>Sony's remake of the classic 1987 sci-fi action movie.

>Gary Oldman Joining MGM's 'Robocop' Remake (Exclusive)

>Jose Padilha is directing the film, which sees Joel Kinnaman (The
>Killing) as the title hero, a cop named Alex Murphy who is brought back
>from the brink of death and turned into a cyborg police officer.

The brink of death? Uh, no, his corpse was re-animated, and then when
Peter Weller left, they recast the role twice.

Why don't they wait a few years more? The economy might have recovered
and the jokes won't be timely any longer. Of course, the chances that
they'll get the jokes right from 25 years ago are nil.

David

Jun 12, 2012, 11:21:34 PM6/12/12
On Jun 12, 10:37 pm, "He is the Resurrection and the Light: The
Rapacious Mr. Hole" <classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> by Borys Kit
>
> Hugh Laurie is in negotiations to play the villain in Robocop

I loved the scene in the original where the British villain invited
Robocop to have a civilized discussion over a five-course meal before
springing the deathtrap on him. And the chess metaphors... mwah!
Message has been deleted

RichA

Jun 13, 2012, 10:20:46 AM6/13/12
On Jun 12, 10:37 pm, "He is the Resurrection and the Light: The
Rapacious Mr. Hole" <classic.mr.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/hugh-laurie-play-villain...

Are they going to make that movie PG like they did to the Total Recall
remake? Why remake movies, terrific movies from the 1980's if you are
going to do that to them?

trotsky

Jun 13, 2012, 10:31:39 AM6/13/12
On 6/13/12 9:20 AM, RichA wrote:

> Are they going to make that movie PG like they did to the Total Recall
> remake? Why remake movies, terrific movies from the 1980's

Nobody with a brain describes Verhoeven movies as 'terrific'. Sorry.

Remysun

Jun 13, 2012, 10:32:42 AM6/13/12
On Jun 13, 10:20 am, RichA <rander3...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Are they going to make that movie PG like they did to the Total Recall
> remake?  Why remake movies, terrific movies from the 1980's if you are
> going to do that to them?

PG or PG-13? Hollywood likes that tweenie edgy too much.

Adam H. Kerman

Jun 13, 2012, 3:15:39 PM6/13/12
RichA <rande...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Are they going to make [Robocop remake] PG like they did to the Total Recall
>remake? Why remake movies, terrific movies from the 1980's if you are
>going to do that to them?

Hold it. This movie was fun, but by no means terrific. What really worked
about the movie was, despite what the actor said, Peter Weller could act,
even though we saw nothing but his chin. But the original was censored, if
you recall, to make the board room scene less violent, which managed to turn
a very funny scene of comic overkill of massive proportions into an
unpleasently violent scene that didn't work as intended.

What didn't work about the movie was plot with respect to the corporate
stuff. Miguel Ferrer's character was killed way, way, way too early,
and it felt like the plot feel apart at that point. Kurtwood Smith
played a fine, menacing villain for a scifi action-adeventure-comedy,
but the Ronny Cox character is fine in brief moments but his actions
are contradictory. Dan O'Herlihy should have been a villain throughout,
but by the end of the movie, they turn him into a cute old man.

I think it's Nancy Allen's best movie, although she's an ok Pauline type
in Blow Out.