The saddest thing about Flash Gordon

Ken from Chicago

Sep 5, 2007, 12:09:31 PM9/5/07
Aside from the disappointing quality of the writing, acting and
entertainment overall (cuz, duh, that's a given for any show), was that
CONCEPTUALLY the show could have worked.

Having Flash go between Earth and Mong via rifts was a nice budgetary way of
saving money and a twist on the Flash legend. It could allow more character
development of Flash, Dale and Zarkov (man, I keep wanting to say Zardoz)
and of the various characters from Mong in a "fish out of water" way when
they are on Earth.

However ...

I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating the
association of Flash Gordon with spaceships. Even the reimagined BATTLESTAR
GALACTICA at least had "toaster" and even "classic" cylons make an
appearance.

I think at the very least the pilot ep could have been greater served if
Flash had been test flying a near Earth orbital plane when a rift opened in
front of him, crashing him, Zarkov (monitoring the technical readouts of the
prototype power source) and Dale (reporting on it for a local paper) on
Mong. They spend the rest of the ep trying to get back home and do so, via a
rift--which is used FROM THEN ON to travel from Earth to Mong and bank.

However you'd still have the shot of Flash and co. taking off in essentially
a rocketship. You'd have urgency of Flash trying to make it back home to
Earth. The twist could have been after arriving home. Flash discovers among
his dead father's gear a device he had assumed was simply some kind of new
computer or remote control, and in fact is a rift blaster--along with a Mong
artifact.

Thus you have a tv-movie that could stand alone but also be a backdoor
pilot, setting up the series where Flash now needs to go ... BACK TO THE
FUT-er back to planet Mong.

Natch, you'd still need better writing and acting, but at least the set up
is more compelling, while having the key visual of Flash blasting off in a
rocketship.

-- Ken from Chicago

P.S. After all, amateurs are able to pull rocket flight fx on home
computers.

Russell Watson

Sep 5, 2007, 2:01:12 PM9/5/07
Minor nit, KfC, but you do know the planet is called "Mongo", right.
When I saw "Mong" the first time I thought "typo", but I see you were
consistent throughout.

Russell Watson

Sep 5, 2007, 2:03:11 PM9/5/07
On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 11:09:31 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
<kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Aside from the disappointing quality of the writing, acting and
>entertainment overall (cuz, duh, that's a given for any show), was that
>CONCEPTUALLY the show could have worked.
>
>Having Flash go between Earth and Mong via rifts was a nice budgetary way of
>saving money and a twist on the Flash legend. It could allow more character
>development of Flash, Dale and Zarkov (man, I keep wanting to say Zardoz)
>and of the various characters from Mong in a "fish out of water" way when
>they are on Earth.
>
>However ...
>
>I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating the
>association of Flash Gordon with spaceships. Even the reimagined BATTLESTAR
>GALACTICA at least had "toaster" and even "classic" cylons make an
>appearance.
>
>I think at the very least the pilot ep could have been greater served if
>Flash had been test flying a near Earth orbital plane when a rift opened in
>front of him, crashing him, Zarkov (monitoring the technical readouts of the
>prototype power source) and Dale (reporting on it for a local paper) on
>Mong. They spend the rest of the ep trying to get back home and do so, via a
>rift--which is used FROM THEN ON to travel from Earth to Mong and bank.

Beyond what I said before about the spelling of Mongo I agree with
your post. You can't have a decent Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers without
at least one rocketship of some stripe.

Jim

Sep 5, 2007, 2:22:57 PM9/5/07
> at least one rocketship of some stripe.- Hide quoted text -

Looks like Canada to me.

Jim

Dan Lanciani

Sep 5, 2007, 4:21:00 PM9/5/07
In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>, kwicker1...@comcast.net (Ken from Chicago) writes:

| I think at the very least the pilot ep could have been greater served if
| Flash had been test flying a near Earth orbital plane when a rift opened in
| front of him, crashing him, Zarkov (monitoring the technical readouts of the
| prototype power source) and Dale (reporting on it for a local paper) on
| Mong. They spend the rest of the ep trying to get back home and do so, via a
| rift--which is used FROM THEN ON to travel from Earth to Mong and bank.

And Flash could discover that sometime during his first trip the
super advanced race that created the Imex had implanted knowledge in
his subconscious that allows him to travel safely through wo^H^Hrifts.

Dan Lanciani
ddl@danlan.*com

Invid Fan

Sep 5, 2007, 5:03:33 PM9/5/07
In article <knrtd35b0aj5aau8j...@4ax.com>, Russell Watson
<russell...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Beyond what I said before about the spelling of Mongo I agree with
> your post. You can't have a decent Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers without
> at least one rocketship of some stripe.

Buck Rogers didn't start with space ships, but did have anti-gravity
belts letting everyone fly around shooting at each other :)

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Audie Murphy's Ghost

Sep 5, 2007, 5:32:43 PM9/5/07
In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>, Ken from
Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating the
> association of Flash Gordon with spaceships.

I think this is exactly, positively, absolutely right. It's like when
Tim Burton was going to make that Superman movie where Supes didn't
fly.

Ken from Chicago

Sep 5, 2007, 6:08:08 PM9/5/07

"Dan Lanciani" <ddl@danlan.*com> wrote in message

Sheesh, I was trying NOT to be so blatant in homaging FS, after all, he was
flying solo. I had the whole crew aboard, which is true to the original FG.

-- Ken from Chicago

Boothbay

Sep 5, 2007, 7:18:15 PM9/5/07
On Sep 5, 12:09 pm, "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1b_nos...@comcast.net>
wrote:

"The saddest thing about Flash Gordon'? I would say that they had the
nerve to even put it on. The old black & white, 1936 version was
better with its inferior special effects, compared to todays.

Al Gore

Sep 5, 2007, 7:24:02 PM9/5/07
In article <050920071703337709%in...@localnet.com>, Invid Fan
<in...@localnet.com> wrote:

> In article <knrtd35b0aj5aau8j...@4ax.com>, Russell Watson
> <russell...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > Beyond what I said before about the spelling of Mongo I agree with
> > your post. You can't have a decent Flash Gordon or Buck Rogers without
> > at least one rocketship of some stripe.
>
> Buck Rogers didn't start with space ships, but did have anti-gravity
> belts letting everyone fly around shooting at each other :)

Those anti-gravity belts were COOL! Much better than JetPacks.

--
Al

Victor Velazquez

Sep 5, 2007, 7:29:24 PM9/5/07
"Audie Murphy's Ghost" <takebac...@2008.com> wrote in message

Well, originally, he didn't. So at least Tim had that going for him!

Anim8rFSK

Sep 5, 2007, 10:37:54 PM9/5/07
In article <050920071732438109%takebac...@2008.com>,

I'm no Burton fan, but that wasn't his fault. That was Jon Peters, who
thought that flying was stupid, and he should get around in the
Supermobile, and wear a black costume, and fight polar bears at the
south pole. And the giant spider, except he forced that on the Vile
Vile Mess movie instead.

--
Why watch the Sci Fi Channel?
For every Flash Gordon, there is an Earthstorm!!

Anim8rFSK

Sep 5, 2007, 10:39:10 PM9/5/07
In article <1189034295.4...@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com>,
Boothbay <harri...@aol.com> wrote:

Maybe some good will come out of it, like Bonnie Hammer will finally get
fired.

John Duncan Yoyo

Sep 6, 2007, 12:40:24 AM9/6/07
On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 19:39:10 -0700, Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net>
wrote:

How about just pulling a Star Trek on it and redoing the SFX with
modern tech but keeping the classic acting.

>Maybe some good will come out of it, like Bonnie Hammer will finally get
>fired.

Or they could lateral her over to Bravo.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

Al Gore

Sep 6, 2007, 12:53:42 AM9/6/07
In article
<ANIM8Rfsk-A9B94...@news.phx.highwinds-media.com>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

Sounds like he wanted to make a "Wham-Pow!" Batman movie.

Victor Velazquez

Sep 6, 2007, 1:26:46 AM9/6/07
"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Oh...dear...lord. I had no idea!

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 2:44:52 AM9/6/07
In article <621vd3p1a1r9ltikb...@4ax.com>,

So, ruin it, then?

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 2:46:39 AM9/6/07
In article <050920072153428899%usenet0...@arpanet.com>,
Al Gore <usenet0...@arpanet.com> wrote:

> In article
> <ANIM8Rfsk-A9B94...@news.phx.highwinds-media.com>,
> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <050920071732438109%takebac...@2008.com>,
> > Audie Murphy's Ghost <takebac...@2008.com> wrote:

> > > I think this is exactly, positively, absolutely right. It's like when
> > > Tim Burton was going to make that Superman movie where Supes didn't
> > > fly.
> >
> > I'm no Burton fan, but that wasn't his fault. That was Jon Peters, who
> > thought that flying was stupid, and he should get around in the
> > Supermobile, and wear a black costume, and fight polar bears at the
> > south pole. And the giant spider, except he forced that on the Vile
> > Vile Mess movie instead.
>
> Sounds like he wanted to make a "Wham-Pow!" Batman movie.

That was Joel Schumuker, who wanted everything bright and shiny and gay
because 'they're called comic books'

sigh

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 2:48:50 AM9/6/07
In article <gpmdnWo395EAEkLb...@comcast.com>,
"Victor Velazquez" <vict...@notnow.com> wrote:

Yes. The storys of the years it took to make the most recent Superman
movie are amazing. Peters wanted the Fortress moved to the South Pole,
and have giant polar bear guardians, and have Superman fight them.
Whenever anybody asked "why is Superman fighting them if they work for
him" wackiness would ensue. (Not to mention, unless they're Kryptonian
polar bears, I'm not really sure why they'd be a problem)

J.J. O'Shea

Sep 6, 2007, 5:44:54 AM9/6/07
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 02:48:50 -0400, Anim8rFSK wrote
(in article <ANIM8Rfsk-1D8D5...@news.phx.highwinds-media.com>):

Ah... _Polar bears_?! At the _south_ pole?! Their first encounter with
leopard seals would have been... interesting.

Jack Bohn

Sep 6, 2007, 6:46:39 AM9/6/07
Ken from Chicago wrote:

>I think at the very least the pilot ep could have been greater served if
>Flash had been test flying a near Earth orbital plane when a rift opened in

Hold on right there! Are you trying to make Flash competent, or
something?!? Don't you know he's gotta be a twenty-something
slacker dude for the kids to identify with him? A guy who knows
how to do things tends to have an air of authority, and that
would make him an AUTHORITY FIGURE! No, he's got to be an
airhead, or at least inexperienced.

Sorry, that's a sarcastic rant that's been building ever since
the animated version of Lensmen, fed when Space Rangers premiered
beside B5 and DS9.

Flash was never actually brilliant, but he was a take-charge
kinda guy. It'd be nice to have Steve develop along those lines.
Currently they're in the common series trap of waiting around for
the next attack. At least it's not the worse (see '80s Buck
Rogers) looking for the next party when the episode begins.

--
-Jack

Ken from Chicago

Sep 6, 2007, 7:18:49 AM9/6/07

"Jack Bohn" <jack...@bright.net> wrote in message

> Ken from Chicago wrote:
>
>>I think at the very least the pilot ep could have been greater served if
>>Flash had been test flying a near Earth orbital plane when a rift opened
>>in
>
> Hold on right there! Are you trying to make Flash competent, or

I like scifi, and love space opera. I want it to work. Plus I'd love a
reimagining of Buck Rogers--done right.

> something?!? Don't you know he's gotta be a twenty-something
> slacker dude for the kids to identify with him? A guy who knows
> how to do things tends to have an air of authority, and that
> would make him an AUTHORITY FIGURE! No, he's got to be an
> airhead, or at least inexperienced.

Ah, but he could be a ... LONE WOLF ... who bucks authority figures, does
things his own way. That could be part of why he's a test pilot because it
allows him to take the jobs he wants.

> Sorry, that's a sarcastic rant that's been building ever since
> the animated version of Lensmen, fed when Space Rangers premiered
> beside B5 and DS9.

There was an animated Lensmen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrhddTWRC0

Hmmph, I guess there was.

> Flash was never actually brilliant, but he was a take-charge
> kinda guy. It'd be nice to have Steve develop along those lines.
> Currently they're in the common series trap of waiting around for
> the next attack. At least it's not the worse (see '80s Buck
> Rogers) looking for the next party when the episode begins.

Flash was regular diplomatic military smart, tactically and strategically,
not science tech smart.

Hey, at least Buck had a down time. Some shows act like people are only
their jobs (I'm looking at you, LAW & ORDER).

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Sep 6, 2007, 7:21:03 AM9/6/07

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

No, she was promoted to head BOTH Sci Fi and USA. Sci Fi got ratings boosts
from wrestling and USA got ratings boosts for PSYCH and BURN NOTICE--and
rightly so, since those are great series.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Sep 6, 2007, 7:23:33 AM9/6/07

> In article <621vd3p1a1r9ltikb...@4ax.com>,
> John Duncan Yoyo <john-dun...@cox.net> wrote:

<snip>

>> How about just pulling a Star Trek on it and redoing the SFX with
>> modern tech but keeping the classic acting.
>
> So, ruin it, then?
>
> --
> Why watch the Sci Fi Channel?
> For every Flash Gordon, there is an Earthstorm!!

Or maybe hiring a FULL-TIME animation company--like say out in Arizona where
it's too hot to go outside, thus encouraging animators to stay inside with
the cool a/c and computers--to redo the ST fx.

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Sep 6, 2007, 7:24:34 AM9/6/07

"Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message

Was he gonna add nipples to Supe's costume?

-- Ken from Chicago

Ken from Chicago

Sep 6, 2007, 7:26:11 AM9/6/07

"Victor Velazquez" <vict...@notnow.com> wrote in message

Now you understand why longtime scifi fans realize there's lots worse than
FLASH GORDON--experience. We *know* how bad scifi can be handled by
"mainstream" PTB.

-- Ken from Chicago

PV

Sep 6, 2007, 10:08:25 AM9/6/07
"Victor Velazquez" <vict...@notnow.com> writes:
>> I'm no Burton fan, but that wasn't his fault. That was Jon Peters, who
>> thought that flying was stupid, and he should get around in the
>> Supermobile, and wear a black costume, and fight polar bears at the
>> south pole. And the giant spider, except he forced that on the Vile
>> Vile Mess movie instead.
>
>Oh...dear...lord. I had no idea!

Fred is making a Monty Python reference. I don't think there were actually
polar bears involved. *
like corkscrews.

PV

Sep 6, 2007, 10:11:05 AM9/6/07
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> writes:
>movie are amazing. Peters wanted the Fortress moved to the South Pole,
>and have giant polar bear guardians, and have Superman fight them.

What, you mean it WASN'T a Python reference? Yeesh. *

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:32:44 AM9/6/07
In article <0001HW.C3054456...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,

Giant turncoat polar bears!

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:33:38 AM9/6/07
In article <7oednbBZgv-Df0Lb...@comcast.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> There was an animated Lensmen?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrhddTWRC0
>
> Hmmph, I guess there was.

Seemed a lot like Green Lantern to me . . .

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:42:26 AM9/6/07
In article <YL2dnRW7SKCnfkLb...@comcast.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

Much as I appreciate it -- I could have hired a top team in L.A. that
you never could have gotten at a reasonable price for another project
that would have come in for next to nothing just to work on classic Star
Trek -- and do it right.

Paramount didn't want it done right. They wanted it done in house.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:42:57 AM9/6/07
In article <TaCdnYwvdNDqfkLb...@comcast.com>,

"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> "Anim8rFSK" <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote in message
> > In article <050920071732438109%takebac...@2008.com>,
> > Audie Murphy's Ghost <takebac...@2008.com> wrote:

> >> I think this is exactly, positively, absolutely right. It's like when
> >> Tim Burton was going to make that Superman movie where Supes didn't
> >> fly.
> >
> > I'm no Burton fan, but that wasn't his fault. That was Jon Peters, who
> > thought that flying was stupid, and he should get around in the
> > Supermobile, and wear a black costume, and fight polar bears at the
> > south pole. And the giant spider, except he forced that on the Vile
> > Vile Mess movie instead.
> >
> > --
> > Why watch the Sci Fi Channel?
> > For every Flash Gordon, there is an Earthstorm!!
>
> Was he gonna add nipples to Supe's costume?
>
> -- Ken from Chicago

The nipples are alllll shumuker.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:43:52 AM9/6/07
In article <13e02ep...@news.supernews.com>,
pv+u...@pobox.com (PV) wrote:

> "Victor Velazquez" <vict...@notnow.com> writes:
> >> I'm no Burton fan, but that wasn't his fault. That was Jon Peters, who
> >> thought that flying was stupid, and he should get around in the
> >> Supermobile, and wear a black costume, and fight polar bears at the
> >> south pole. And the giant spider, except he forced that on the Vile
> >> Vile Mess movie instead.
> >
> >Oh...dear...lord. I had no idea!
>
> Fred is making a Monty Python reference. I don't think there were actually
> polar bears involved. *

Yes. No monty python. Everything in that story is quite literally
true, just drawn from different incidents across the years.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 10:45:13 AM9/6/07
In article <13e02jp...@news.supernews.com>,
pv+u...@pobox.com (PV) wrote:

> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> writes:
> >movie are amazing. Peters wanted the Fortress moved to the South Pole,
> >and have giant polar bear guardians, and have Superman fight them.
>
> What, you mean it WASN'T a Python reference? Yeesh. *

nope.

I never really understood the whole "Let's move the Fortress from the
North Pole to the South Pole and have him fight polar bears" -- it's
unclear as to if these were separate 'thoughts' or if he wanted to move
the fortress 'cause the thought polar bears were down south or what.

PV

Sep 6, 2007, 11:09:38 AM9/6/07
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> writes:
>I never really understood the whole "Let's move the Fortress from the
>North Pole to the South Pole and have him fight polar bears" -- it's
>unclear as to if these were separate 'thoughts' or if he wanted to move
>the fortress 'cause the thought polar bears were down south or what.

When the "Scott of the Antarctic" sketch becomes a documentary, something
is very, very wrong with your industry. Was there a 12 foot tall robot
penguin that shot lasers out of his eyes too? *

J.J. O'Shea

Sep 6, 2007, 11:20:42 AM9/6/07
On Thu, 6 Sep 2007 10:32:44 -0400, Anim8rFSK wrote
(in article <ANIM8Rfsk-21ADD...@news.phx.highwinds-media.com>):

Well, they'd be bearskin coats after the leopard seals got through with them.
Especially if they tried to hunt leopard seals the way they hunt other
seals...

Sean Eric Fagan

Sep 6, 2007, 12:02:02 PM9/6/07
In article <13e061i...@news.supernews.com>,

PV <pv+u...@pobox.com> wrote:
>When the "Scott of the Antarctic" sketch becomes a documentary, something
>is very, very wrong with your industry. Was there a 12 foot tall robot
>penguin that shot lasers out of his eyes too? *

Kevin Smith describes what Peters wanted in "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

As awful as the last Supes movie was, it *was* way better than it could have
been.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 1:44:49 PM9/6/07
pv+u...@pobox.com (PV) wrote:

> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> writes:
> >I never really understood the whole "Let's move the Fortress from the
> >North Pole to the South Pole and have him fight polar bears" -- it's
> >unclear as to if these were separate 'thoughts' or if he wanted to move
> >the fortress 'cause the thought polar bears were down south or what.
>
> When the "Scott of the Antarctic" sketch becomes a documentary, something
> is very, very wrong with your industry. Was there a 12 foot tall robot
> penguin that shot lasers out of his eyes too? *

No. That would have actually be entertaining. Superman Returns strove
for the opposite, and achieved it, spectacularlyl.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 6, 2007, 1:45:49 PM9/6/07
In article <JnyF...@kithrup.com>, s...@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
wrote:

And of course they're stuck with Peters in the development stage for
"Superman Returns Yet Again" which is probably why it's still not
greenlit.

Bill Steele

Sep 6, 2007, 3:02:19 PM9/6/07
In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>,
"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating the
> association of Flash Gordon with spaceships.

The spaceships in the original were just a mechanism to get the
characters to the planet Mongo, which was where about 98% of the story
took place. Except in "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars," but either way the
point was to get away from earth to a strange, exotic place. I'd be
perfectly happy with rifts if they just went through them once and then
proceeded to have a continuing adventure.

PV

Sep 6, 2007, 3:06:41 PM9/6/07
s...@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>In article <13e061i...@news.supernews.com>,
>PV <pv+u...@pobox.com> wrote:
>>When the "Scott of the Antarctic" sketch becomes a documentary, something
>>is very, very wrong with your industry. Was there a 12 foot tall robot
>>penguin that shot lasers out of his eyes too? *
>
>Kevin Smith describes what Peters wanted in "An Evening With Kevin Smith."

Oh gods, someone provided a link to that interview, and I couldn't stop
laughing. Not just at the crazy superman content, but the way Kevin Smith
riffs on it for 25 minutes straight, AND actually comes up with a perfect
ending for his story, seemingly off the cuff. Great stuff.

Did Will Smith smash any spiders during Ali? *

PV

Sep 6, 2007, 3:08:23 PM9/6/07
P.S. There are no Polar Bears in the Antarctic. I guess the non-flying,
non-costume-wearing Superman had them fedexed there. *

lurkinghorror

Sep 6, 2007, 4:05:54 PM9/6/07
In article <ws21-9C4FD0.1...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Bill
Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>,
> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating
> > the
> > association of Flash Gordon with spaceships.
>
> The spaceships in the original were just a mechanism to get the
> characters to the planet Mongo,

The original was a finely illustrated newspaper comic strip illustrated
by Alex Raymond, and was full of Rocket Ships.

> which was where about 98% of the story
> took place. Except in "Flash Gordon's Trip to Mars," but either way the
> point was to get away from earth to a strange, exotic place.

PlaceS. Flash, Dale and Zarkov roamed all over the Planet Mongo,
helping to lose Mings Dictatorial grip on all it's diverse peoples.

Later, after finally freeing Mongo from the Dictators grasp, Flash and
Dale more often traveled to other planets.

> I'd be
> perfectly happy with rifts if they just went through them once and then
> proceeded to have a continuing adventure.

I'd settle for coherent adventure.

--
In times like these, it helps to recall that there have always been times like
these.

Invid Fan

Sep 6, 2007, 7:22:20 PM9/6/07
In article <7oednbBZgv-Df0Lb...@comcast.com>, Ken from
Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:

> There was an animated Lensmen?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyrhddTWRC0
>
> Hmmph, I guess there was.

Japanese film, remembered only for the early use of CGI and because
Streamline brought it over to the US. Based more on Star Wars then
anything else, although naturally there's a Lensmen influence in Star
Wars.

It did lead to an interesting story, though. The Japanese studio which
had licensed the rights from Doc Smith's estate went and re-licensed it
to a US comic book company which proceeded to do a monthly B&W book.
Not bad, from what I remember, but I haven't dug mine out in years.
Anyways, when the author's estate found out they went ballistic :) I
think we'll never see the film in the US again, or any other
adaptation.

-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS

Jack Bohn

Sep 6, 2007, 8:25:48 PM9/6/07
On Thu, 06 Sep 2007 19:22:20 -0400, Invid Fan
<in...@localnet.com> wrote:

>In article <7oednbBZgv-Df0Lb...@comcast.com>, Ken from
>Chicago <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> There was an animated Lensmen?

No, no there wasn't. When the kid discovered the 1000-meter-long
battleship Britannia II had the same controls as his skybike, I
tried yelling, "Inertialess Drive!" but the movie beat me into
submission.

>It did lead to an interesting story, though. The Japanese studio which
>had licensed the rights from Doc Smith's estate went and re-licensed it
>to a US comic book company which proceeded to do a monthly B&W book.
>Not bad, from what I remember, but I haven't dug mine out in years.
>Anyways, when the author's estate found out they went ballistic :) I
>think we'll never see the film in the US again, or any other
>adaptation.

There was also a TV series, slightly different from the movie, I
remember something about the US comics writer being a Doc Smith
fan, but he couldn't adapt anything from the books to bring the
story closer, just from the products of the Japanese studio. He
triangulated between the movie and the TV series to at least make
it *seem* like the kid got some Arisian training.

--
-Jack

Jack Bohn

Sep 6, 2007, 8:26:04 PM9/6/07
lurkinghorror wrote:

>In article <ws21-9C4FD0.1...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Bill
>Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote:
>
>> In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>,
>> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > I think TPTB behind the series really missed the boat in underestimating
>> > the
>> > association of Flash Gordon with spaceships.
>>
>> The spaceships in the original were just a mechanism to get the
>> characters to the planet Mongo,
>
>The original was a finely illustrated newspaper comic strip illustrated
>by Alex Raymond, and was full of Rocket Ships.

But not Rocket Ship. (How do I emphasize the lack of an S at the
end of that word?) No one ship they used for a long sequence[1],
nor any standardized Mongo design such that we'd have a single
iconic image of the rocket from the comics.

[1] I really have to check if _every_ rocketship Flash flew ended
in a crash.

--
-Jack

lurkinghorror

Sep 7, 2007, 1:11:47 AM9/7/07
In article <l161e3dne8g0sjn2n...@4ax.com>, Jack Bohn
<jack...@bright.net> wrote:

> lurkinghorror wrote:
>
> >In article <ws21-9C4FD0.1...@newsstand.cit.cornell.edu>, Bill
> >Steele <ws...@cornell.edu> wrote:

> >> The spaceships in the original were just a mechanism to get the
> >> characters to the planet Mongo,
> >
> >The original was a finely illustrated newspaper comic strip illustrated
> >by Alex Raymond, and was full of Rocket Ships.
>
> But not Rocket Ship.

Do you mean the Rocket Ship that Zarkov built, and kidnapped Flash and
Dale onto, to get to Mongo in the first weeks worth of panels?

> (How do I emphasize the lack of an S at the
> end of that word?)

The fact that by default, Rocket Ship is the singular of Rocket Ships?
If there was more than One, there is still ONE?

> No one ship they used for a long sequence[1],
> nor any standardized Mongo design such that we'd have a single
> iconic image of the rocket from the comics.

I think I am starting to figure out the point you are trying to make
here. There may be NO SINGLE iconic image of any Specific Rocket Ship
in Flash Gordon, but so what? Alex Raymond liked to push his abilities.
He drew a lot of different ships. About the only time you dodn't see
rockstships was in the Cavern World of Mongo, and I wouldn't swear to
that.

> [1] I really have to check if _every_ rocketship Flash flew ended
> in a crash.

No, not EVERY rocketship that Flash flew crashed. But the point is,
THERE WERE A LOT OF ROCKETSHIPS. The ORIGINAL Flash Gordon Always had
Rocketships. There wasn't even a single Iconic image of Flash. He
certainly changed clothes from adventure to adventure.

Grimm-RHD

Sep 7, 2007, 6:26:50 AM9/7/07
> > Flash was never actually brilliant, but he was a take-charge
> > kinda guy. It'd be nice to have Steve develop along those lines.
> > Currently they're in the common series trap of waiting around for
> > the next attack. At least it's not the worse (see '80s Buck
> > Rogers) looking for the next party when the episode begins.
>
> Flash was regular diplomatic military smart, tactically and strategically,
> not science tech smart.
>

> -- Ken from Chicago

Actually the original Flash Gordon was nothing but a "smart jock" (a
polo player and Yale graduate) who was kidnapped by Dr. Zarkov. Flash
learns "on the fly" how to fly the rocket. Seeing that he is nothing
but a young track star now keeps within the original intent. We will
just have to wait and see if he "learns on the fly" and grows with
anything.

Grimm-RHD

KT3000

Sep 7, 2007, 3:24:07 PM9/7/07
Russell Watson wrote:
> Minor nit, KfC, but you do know the planet is called "Mongo", right.
> When I saw "Mong" the first time I thought "typo", but I see you were
> consistent throughout.

Or he misspelled "Rann".

Ken from Chicago

Sep 7, 2007, 6:12:10 PM9/7/07

"KT3000" <kt3...@mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

Well that would be ... strange.

-- Ken from Chicago

Pete B

Sep 8, 2007, 12:02:14 AM9/8/07
In article <H-idnaiX0bAjSUPb...@comcast.com>,
kwicker1...@comcast.net says...

> Having Flash go between Earth and Mong via rifts was a nice budgetary way of
> saving money and a twist on the Flash legend

Or even via riffs, then they could have a weekly jam session!

Ken from Chicago

Sep 8, 2007, 4:48:58 AM9/8/07

"Pete B" <xxxh@_someething.com> wrote in message

Only if you can have peanut butter with that jam!

-- Metaphorical Ken from Chicago

Jack Bohn

Sep 8, 2007, 5:36:29 AM9/8/07
lurkinghorror wrote:

>In article <l161e3dne8g0sjn2n...@4ax.com>, Jack Bohn
><jack...@bright.net> wrote:
>
>> lurkinghorror wrote:
>>
>> >The original was a finely illustrated newspaper comic strip illustrated
>> >by Alex Raymond, and was full of Rocket Ships.
>>

>> No one ship they used for a long sequence[1],
>> nor any standardized Mongo design such that we'd have a single
>> iconic image of the rocket from the comics.
>
>I think I am starting to figure out the point you are trying to make
>here. There may be NO SINGLE iconic image of any Specific Rocket Ship
>in Flash Gordon, but so what?

Just slowly getting to the point that Raymond was not
particularly a "hardware" artist, compared to, say, the Buck
Rogers strips of the time, which featured "cut out and save"
panels detailing cutaway views of spaceships and some made up
tech specs. Raymond's rockets, graceful and powerful as they
were, were not distinguishable from the general run of the time.
Not that they needed to be, that wasn't what he was concerned
with; his rockets were to get Flash to the scene of the adventure
(and crash there:)

--
-Jack

William December Starr

Sep 9, 2007, 3:58:32 PM9/9/07
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> said:

> Yes. The storys of the years it took to make the most recent
> Superman movie are amazing. Peters wanted the Fortress moved to
> the South Pole, and have giant polar bear guardians, and have
> Superman fight them. Whenever anybody asked "why is Superman
> fighting them if they work for him" wackiness would ensue.

"Labor dispute."

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

William December Starr

Sep 9, 2007, 4:12:12 PM9/9/07
John Duncan Yoyo <john-dun...@cox.net> said:

> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Maybe some good will come out of it, like Bonnie Hammer will
>> finally get fired.
>
> Or they could lateral her over to Bravo.

"It's too bad you can't lateral a horse, Joe..."

(As the story, from real events apparently, goes, back in the 1930s
or so there was a jack-of-all-sports sportscaster who while doing
radio coverage of a football game identified the wrong player as the
one making a spectacular, long run. He realized his mistake just in
time and improvised "And... Smith laterals the ball to Jones at the
ten-yard line, and Jones is into the end zone!" thus having the
right guy score the touchdown. And then, some years later, the same
guy was announcing a major horse race and famously identified the
wrong horse as the one that had led from start to finish, leading to
a colleague making the above comment to him the next time they met.)

William December Starr

Sep 9, 2007, 4:15:11 PM9/9/07
"Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> said:

> Hey, at least Buck had a down time. Some shows act like people
> are only their jobs (I'm looking at you, LAW & ORDER).

L&O doesn't act like people are only their jobs. I just only shows
them on the job. Two very different things.

Anim8rFSK

Sep 9, 2007, 4:59:09 PM9/9/07
In article <fc1j98$bdq$1...@panix1.panix.com>,

snort

Anim8rFSK

Sep 9, 2007, 5:00:21 PM9/9/07
In article <fc1k8f$28t$1...@panix1.panix.com>,

wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:

> In article <7oednbBZgv-Df0Lb...@comcast.com>,
> "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> said:
>
> > Hey, at least Buck had a down time. Some shows act like people
> > are only their jobs (I'm looking at you, LAW & ORDER).
>
> L&O doesn't act like people are only their jobs. I just only shows
> them on the job. Two very different things.

And we hear appropriate mentions of kids and wives and such, mostly when
it impacts their work.

Invid Fan

Sep 9, 2007, 5:49:03 PM9/9/07
In article <fc1k2s$qfa$1...@panix1.panix.com>, William December Starr
<wds...@panix.com> wrote:

Reagan told that story about himself.

erilar

Sep 9, 2007, 7:59:16 PM9/9/07
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-C6E2A...@news.west.cox.net>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <fc1k8f$28t$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
> wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
>
> > In article <7oednbBZgv-Df0Lb...@comcast.com>,
> > "Ken from Chicago" <kwicker1...@comcast.net> said:
> >
> > > Hey, at least Buck had a down time. Some shows act like people
> > > are only their jobs (I'm looking at you, LAW & ORDER).
> >
> > L&O doesn't act like people are only their jobs. I just only shows
> > them on the job. Two very different things.
>
> And we hear appropriate mentions of kids and wives and such, mostly when
> it impacts their work.

I think that's one of the things I like about L&O

--
Mary, biblioholic

bib-li-o-hol-ism : the habitual longing to purchase, read, store,
admire, and consume books in excess.

http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Anim8rFSK

Sep 9, 2007, 8:33:28 PM9/9/07
In article <drache-8496B6....@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:

> In article <ANIM8Rfsk-C6E2A...@news.west.cox.net>,
> Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > In article <fc1k8f$28t$1...@panix1.panix.com>,
> > wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:

> > > L&O doesn't act like people are only their jobs. I just only shows
> > > them on the job. Two very different things.
> >
> > And we hear appropriate mentions of kids and wives and such, mostly when
> > it impacts their work.
>
> I think that's one of the things I like about L&O

Yes, and one of the things I disliked about L&OSVU. Waaaay too much
personal live stuff.

Default User

Sep 9, 2007, 10:34:55 PM9/9/07
Invid Fan wrote:

> In article <fc1k2s$qfa$1...@panix1.panix.com>, William December Starr
> <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <621vd3p1a1r9ltikb...@4ax.com>,
> > John Duncan Yoyo <john-dun...@cox.net> said:

> > > Or they could lateral her over to Bravo.
> >
> > "It's too bad you can't lateral a horse, Joe..."
> >
> > (As the story, from real events apparently, goes, back in the 1930s
> > or so there was a jack-of-all-sports sportscaster who while doing
> > radio coverage of a football game identified the wrong player as the
> > one making a spectacular, long run. He realized his mistake just in
> > time and improvised "And... Smith laterals the ball to Jones at the
> > ten-yard line, and Jones is into the end zone!" thus having the
> > right guy score the touchdown. And then, some years later, the same
> > guy was announcing a major horse race and famously identified the
> > wrong horse as the one that had led from start to finish, leading to
> > a colleague making the above comment to him the next time they met.)
>
> Reagan told that story about himself.

The usual version of the story (and there are some variations) has Bill
Stern making the call with the football lateral. Later, legendary race
announcer Clem McCarthy made the racing call mistake at the Preakness.
When Stern commented about that, McCarthy made the famous rejoinder.

Brian

won't shut up.

erilar

Sep 10, 2007, 11:56:23 AM9/10/07
In article <ANIM8Rfsk-E6E27...@news.west.cox.net>,
Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> In article <drache-8496B6....@news.airstreamcomm.net>,
> erilar <dra...@chibardun.net.invalid> wrote:
>
> > In article <ANIM8Rfsk-C6E2A...@news.west.cox.net>,
> > Anim8rFSK <ANIM...@cox.net> wrote:

> > > And we hear appropriate mentions of kids and wives and such, mostly when
> > > it impacts their work.
> >
> > I think that's one of the things I like about L&O
>
> Yes, and one of the things I disliked about L&OSVU. Waaaay too much
> personal live stuff.

Oh, I don't watch that except sometimes when I'm visiting my daughter,
who likes it.

William December Starr

Sep 11, 2007, 9:44:17 PM9/11/07
In article <5kjoqfF...@mid.individual.net>,
"Default User" <defaul...@yahoo.com> said:

>>> "It's too bad you can't lateral a horse, Joe..."
>>>
>>> (As the story, from real events apparently, goes, back in the 1930s
>>> or so there was a jack-of-all-sports sportscaster who while doing
>>> radio coverage of a football game identified the wrong player as the
>>> one making a spectacular, long run. He realized his mistake just in
>>> time and improvised "And... Smith laterals the ball to Jones at the
>>> ten-yard line, and Jones is into the end zone!" thus having the
>>> right guy score the touchdown. And then, some years later, the same
>>> guy was announcing a major horse race and famously identified the
>>> wrong horse as the one that had led from start to finish, leading to
>>> a colleague making the above comment to him the next time they met.)

> The usual version of the story (and there are some variations) has

> Bill Stern making the call with the football lateral. Later,
> legendary race announcer Clem McCarthy made the racing call
> mistake at the Preakness. When Stern commented about that,
> McCarthy made the famous rejoinder.

Thank you... I was working from nothing more than my weak memories
of having heard about the set of incidents, and the punchline, a
long time ago.