What Did I Watch? Da Boys! (no real spoilers)

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2019, 4:58:46 PM7/26/19
Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could I find
it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad for it, and
got in that way.

All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found no way
to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep prematurely.

The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard of. It's
a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in a world where
superheroes are corporatized and privatized and commercialized. The JL are
called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are
immediately obvious. The other two are an invisible guy and a new replacement
cute naive blonde girl with light powers, neither of whom have strong JL
counterparts.

The Boys starts with the biggest advisory I've ever seen:

The following program is intended for mature
audiences and contains Adult Content, Graphic
Language, Graphic Violence, Nudity, Strong Sexual
Content and Rape. Viewer discretion is advised.

TV-MA

AC Adult Content
GL Graphic Language
GV Graphic Violence
N Nudity
SSL Strong Sexual Content
RP Rape

Yikes!

The nudity is of course Politically Correct nudity - male only - and the rape
is more what Dante would would called coercion by deception. The violence is
there, but it's played more for laughs.

There are superheroes all over the place, apparently occurring naturally. The
corporation signs up the ones it deems most marketable. The corporate
handlers are amazingly incompetent, just tossing the newbies into situations
where they're expected to say or do a specific thing, without bothering to
tell them what that specific thing *is*

None of those are 'The Boys' (I only found out who is considered 'The Boys'
via outside reading).

'The Boys' are a group against the corrupt superhero culture. One is Trek's
Dr. McCoy 2009, Karl Urban. Another is the Simon Pegg character, except Pegg
aged out, so he plays his original character's father. The guy playing his
son reminds me of Harry Potter from Sanctuary.

And that's as much as I'm going to say at this point, because I think that if
you think you might be interested in this, you should watch if, and you'll
almost certainly enjoy it.

It looks great. What Ubi would call fabulous sets, costumes, FX work.
Elizabeth Shue as a corporate toady rounds out the people I recognize, but
everybody *feels* familiar and does a good job. It's not a comedy, but it got
me to laugh out loud several times.

It's still not on my watch list, BTW. Sheesh.

SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"

Excelsior!

--
Join your old RAT friends at
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1688985234647266/

Ian J. Ball

Jul 26, 2019, 9:00:42 PM7/26/19
On 2019-07-26 20:58:43 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could
> I find it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad
> for it, and got in that way.
>
> All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found
> no way to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep
> prematurely.
>
> The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard
> of. It's a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in
> a world where superheroes are corporatized and privatized and
> commercialized. The JL are called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da
> Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are immediately obvious. The other two
> are an invisible guy and a new replacement cute naive blonde girl with
> light powers,

You should recognize Erin Moriarty from "Jessica Jones".
I might consider this, whenever I finally get Prime, but it's a lower
priority...

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2019, 9:48:24 PM7/26/19
Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:00:37 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> On 2019-07-26 20:58:43 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>
> > Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could
> > I find it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad
> > for it, and got in that way.
> >
> > All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found
> > no way to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep
> > prematurely.
> >
> > The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard
> > of. It's a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in
> > a world where superheroes are corporatized and privatized and
> > commercialized. The JL are called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da
> > Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are immediately obvious. The other two
> > are an invisible guy and a new replacement cute naive blonde girl with
> > light powers,
>
> You should recognize Erin Moriarty from "Jessica Jones".

Yeah, I looked these people up, and saw that for her, but I have no idea who
she was there.
:(

Ian J. Ball

Jul 26, 2019, 10:51:30 PM7/26/19
On 2019-07-27 01:48:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:00:37 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 2019-07-26 20:58:43 +0000, anim8rfsk said:
>>
>>> Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could
>>> I find it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad
>>> for it, and got in that way.
>>>
>>> All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found
>>> no way to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep
>>> prematurely.
>>>
>>> The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard
>>> of. It's a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in
>>> a world where superheroes are corporatized and privatized and
>>> commercialized. The JL are called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da
>>> Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are immediately obvious. The other two
>>> are an invisible guy and a new replacement cute naive blonde girl with
>>> light powers,
>>
>> You should recognize Erin Moriarty from "Jessica Jones".
>
> Yeah, I looked these people up, and saw that for her, but I have no idea who
> she was there.

She's the girl in season #1 that Jessica helps. I think Moriary's
character was under Kilgrave's control. In the end, either Kilgrave
kills her, or she kills herself - I don't remember which.

anim8rfsk

Jul 26, 2019, 11:40:00 PM7/26/19
Fri, 26 Jul 2019 19:51:26 -0700 Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

> What Did I Watch? Da Boys! (no real spoilers)
> Ian J. Ball<IJB...@mac.invalid>
> July 26, 2019 at 7:51:26 PM MST
>
> On 2019-07-27 01:48:21 +0000, anim8rfsk said:

> > > You should recognize Erin Moriarty from "Jessica Jones".
> >
> > Yeah, I looked these people up, and saw that for her, but I have no idea who
> > she was there.
>
> She's the girl in season #1 that Jessica helps. I think Moriary's
> character was under Kilgrave's control. In the end, either Kilgrave
> kills her, or she kills herself - I don't remember which.

Thanks. I think most of JJ has leeched out of my brain.

anim8rfsk

Jul 28, 2019, 3:13:51 PM7/28/19
Several other familiar faces show up at it goes on

Jennifer Esposito
Malcolm Barrett (Rufus from Timeless and Lem from Better Off Ted)
David Andrews from Mann and Machine
Jim Beaver
Jimmy Fallon
Chad Allen
John Williams (yes, that one)
Seth Rogan
Tara Reid
Giancarlo Esposito from She Smiles Inappropriatly
The Conventionally Beautiful Brit Morgan
and
Billy Zane as himself!!

BTR1701

Jul 28, 2019, 4:42:17 PM7/28/19
In article <0001HW.22EE2B6B01...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700 anim8rfsk<anim...@cox.net> wrote:

> > 'The Boys' are a group against the corrupt superhero culture. One is
> > Trek's Dr. McCoy 2009, Karl Urban. Another is the Simon Pegg character,
> > except Pegg aged out, so he plays his original character's father.
> > The guy playing his son reminds me of Harry Potter from Sanctuary.

He reminds me of a young Henry Thomas, circe E.T., except taller.

> > It looks great. What Ubi would call fabulous sets, costumes, FX work.
> > Elizabeth Shue as a corporate toady rounds out the people I recognize,
> > but everybody *feels* familiar and does a good job. It's not a comedy,
> > but it got me to laugh out loud several times.

Yeah, I laughed when the Invisible Man went bang.

And when Claw Girl had an inopportune thigh clench during orgasm.

> > It's still not on my watch list, BTW. Sheesh.
> >
> > SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
> >
> > Excelsior!

I'm three episodes in. I like it. Very entertaining show.

The guy's girlfriend being juiced by Flash accidentally running through
her was a pretty shocking moment. Didn't see that coming. I like that
this show answers questions I've always had about superhero stories, and
"What if the Flash accidentally ran into someone when he was speeding
around the city at 2000 mph?" is one of them.

All the puzzling and angsting about how to kill Translucent and no one
thought... hey, what about poison? I actually thought that the tech nerd
guy was doing just that when he brought the guy that glass of water, but
no.

Not sure why the Sparkles girl is so big on staying with this group of
degenerate heroes that she's willing to be mouth-raped and be forced to
show off her tits on command, etc. Is it the money? 'Cause it doesn't
seem like you have to be a corporate employee to do super-heroing in
this world. There's no Sekovia Accord-type law that restricts heroing to
corporate oversight. They even talk about how Sparkles was doing
independent heroing back in Des Moines before they called her up to the
big leagues. She tells people that she hates the job, so why keep doing
it?

anim8rfsk

Jul 28, 2019, 8:30:42 PM7/28/19
Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:42:11 -0700 BTR1701<atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article<0001HW.22EE2B6B01...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700 anim8rfsk<anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > > 'The Boys' are a group against the corrupt superhero culture. One is
> > > Trek's Dr. McCoy 2009, Karl Urban. Another is the Simon Pegg character,
> > > except Pegg aged out, so he plays his original character's father.
> > > The guy playing his son reminds me of Harry Potter from Sanctuary.
>
> He reminds me of a young Henry Thomas, circe E.T., except taller.
>
> > > It looks great. What Ubi would call fabulous sets, costumes, FX work.
> > > Elizabeth Shue as a corporate toady rounds out the people I recognize,
> > > but everybody *feels* familiar and does a good job. It's not a comedy,
> > > but it got me to laugh out loud several times.
>
> Yeah, I laughed when the Invisible Man went bang.
>
> And when Claw Girl had an inopportune thigh clench during orgasm.
>
> > > It's still not on my watch list, BTW. Sheesh.
> > >
> > > SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
> > >
> > > Excelsior!
>
> I'm three episodes in. I like it. Very entertaining show.
>
> The guy's girlfriend being juiced by Flash accidentally running through
> her was a pretty shocking moment. Didn't see that coming. I like that
> this show answers questions I've always had about superhero stories, and
> "What if the Flash accidentally ran into someone when he was speeding
> around the city at 2000 mph?" is one of them.

They also address at least one question from MAN OF STEEL WOMAN OF KLEENEX.

> All the puzzling and angsting about how to kill Translucent and no one
> thought... hey, what about poison? I actually thought that the tech nerd
> guy was doing just that when he brought the guy that glass of water, but
> no.

I had multiple problems with that. He's apparently like Luke Cage. Heat,
cold, starvation, suffocation, poison, Vlad the Impalation, and what they did
probably should have left an intact corpse.

> Not sure why the Sparkles girl is so big on staying with this group of
> degenerate heroes that she's willing to be mouth-raped and be forced to
> show off her tits on command, etc. Is it the money? 'Cause it doesn't
> seem like you have to be a corporate employee to do super-heroing in
> this world. There's no Sekovia Accord-type law that restricts heroing to
> corporate oversight. They even talk about how Sparkles was doing
> independent heroing back in Des Moines before they called her up to the
> big leagues. She tells people that she hates the job, so why keep doing
> it?

They kind of reinforce it as they go, but, yet, it's a weak point, in that
*I* certainly don't want to join THE SEVEN. Elizabeth Shue really should have
been supporting registration and licensing.

RichA

Jul 28, 2019, 11:49:17 PM7/28/19
Terrific show. Like "Brightburn" the movie expanded.

David Johnston

Jul 29, 2019, 2:37:29 AM7/29/19
Watching the first one. Carbon skin? Why are they screwing around? A
blowtorch seems the way to go.

BTR1701

Jul 30, 2019, 12:55:10 AM7/30/19
> Several other familiar faces show up at it goes on
>
> Jennifer Esposito
> Malcolm Barrett (Rufus from Timeless and Lem from Better Off Ted)
> David Andrews from Mann and Machine
> Jim Beaver
> Jimmy Fallon
> Chad Allen
> John Williams (yes, that one)

No, it's not that one. The character is 'Older Donor' and appears during
the baptism scene. The actor's name is John Williams but it's the film
composer. Just another guy with that name. Amazon's 'special features'
interface fucked it up by putting composer William's headshot over the
character's name but it's not him.

BTR1701

Jul 30, 2019, 1:24:27 AM7/30/19
In article <atropos-FD24DC...@news.giganews.com>,
BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article <0001HW.22EE2B6B01...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Several other familiar faces show up at it goes on
> >
> > Jennifer Esposito
> > Malcolm Barrett (Rufus from Timeless and Lem from Better Off Ted)
> > David Andrews from Mann and Machine
> > Jim Beaver
> > Jimmy Fallon
> > Chad Allen
> > John Williams (yes, that one)
>
> No, it's not that one. The character is 'Older Donor' and appears during
> the baptism scene. The actor's name is John Williams but it's the film
> composer.

That should have been: The actor's name is John Williams but it's NOT
the film composer.

Jim's editor has snuck into my house and is deleting key words from my
otherwise perfect prose.

anim8rfsk

Jul 30, 2019, 2:33:59 AM7/30/19
Mon, 29 Jul 2019 21:55:01 -0700 BTR1701<atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> In article<0001HW.22EE2B6B01...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
> anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > Several other familiar faces show up at it goes on
> >
> > Jennifer Esposito
> > Malcolm Barrett (Rufus from Timeless and Lem from Better Off Ted)
> > David Andrews from Mann and Machine
> > Jim Beaver
> > Jimmy Fallon
> > Chad Allen
> > John Williams (yes, that one)
>
> No, it's not that one. The character is 'Older Donor' and appears during
> the baptism scene. The actor's name is John Williams but it's the film

I'm guessing you left out a 'not' there?

> composer. Just another guy with that name. Amazon's 'special features'
> interface fucked it up by putting composer William's headshot over the
> character's name but it's not him.

Thanks. IMDb picked that up and has the composer listed as making a cameo.

BTR1701

Jul 30, 2019, 3:19:53 AM7/30/19
In article <0001HW.22F01C5401...@NEWS.EASYNEWS.COM>,
He's been famously shy about ever appearing on screen. Spielberg has
offered him cameos in the past and he's always demurred. There's a
petition going around for him to get a cameo in the final STAR WARS film
as the conductor of some futuristic orchestra or something but that's
not likely to happen, either.

If Williams won't do guest shots for Spielberg, it'd be pretty
unbelievable that he'd do one for this random TV show and play a guy who
gets dunked in a baptism tank.

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 30, 2019, 8:31:43 PM7/30/19
On 7/28/2019 12:13 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700 anim8rfsk<anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could I find
>> it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad for it, and
>> got in that way.
>>
>> All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found no way
>> to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep prematurely.
>>
>> The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard of. It's
>> a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in a world where
>> superheroes are corporatized and privatized and commercialized. The JL are
>> called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are
>> immediately obvious. The other two are an invisible guy

I was thinking Martian Manhunter. He can turn invisible.

and a new replacement
>> cute naive blonde girl with light powers, neither of whom have strong JL
>> counterparts.

Maybe the Stargirl
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Whitmore

If we look at Marvel, there's Jubilee
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(comics)
Or Dazzler
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler_(Marvel_Comics)

>> There are superheroes all over the place, apparently occurring naturally. The
>> corporation signs up the ones it deems most marketable. The corporate
>> handlers are amazingly incompetent, just tossing the newbies into situations
>> where they're expected to say or do a specific thing, without bothering to
>> tell them what that specific thing *is*
>>
>> None of those are 'The Boys' (I only found out who is considered 'The Boys'
>> via outside reading).

I had a similar issue with figuring out who was who. I went in with the
impression that "The Boys" were far better organized and financed. I
wonder if the series consistent with the comics or not.

>> 'The Boys' are a group against the corrupt superhero culture. One is Trek's
>> Dr. McCoy 2009, Karl Urban. Another is the Simon Pegg character, except Pegg
>> aged out, so he plays his original character's father. The guy playing his
>> son reminds me of Harry Potter from Sanctuary.
>>
>> And that's as much as I'm going to say at this point, because I think that if
>> you think you might be interested in this, you should watch if, and you'll
>> almost certainly enjoy it.
>>
>> It looks great. What Ubi would call fabulous sets, costumes, FX work.
>> Elizabeth Shue as a corporate toady rounds out the people I recognize, but
>> everybody *feels* familiar and does a good job. It's not a comedy, but it got
>> me to laugh out loud several times.

It continues to have a real dark humor as the show progresses.

>> It's still not on my watch list, BTW. Sheesh.
>>
>> SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
>>
>> Excelsior!
>
> Several other familiar faces show up at it goes on
>
> Jennifer Esposito
> Malcolm Barrett (Rufus from Timeless and Lem from Better Off Ted)
> David Andrews from Mann and Machine
> Jim Beaver
> Jimmy Fallon
> Chad Allen
> John Williams (yes, that one)
> Seth Rogan
> Tara Reid
> Giancarlo Esposito from She Smiles Inappropriatly
> The Conventionally Beautiful Brit Morgan
> and
> Billy Zane as himself!!

I thougth the Billy Zane bit was particularly notable because he's one
of the featured guests at an upcoming convention I'll be attending.

anim8rfsk

Jul 30, 2019, 9:01:01 PM7/30/19
Tue, 30 Jul 2019 17:31:38 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> On 7/28/2019 12:13 PM, anim8rfsk wrote:
> > Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700 anim8rfsk<anim...@cox.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could I
> > > find
> > > it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad for it,
> > > and
> > > got in that way.
> > >
> > > All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found no
> > > way
> > > to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep prematurely.
> > >
> > > The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard of.
> > > It's
> > > a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in a world where
> > > superheroes are corporatized and privatized and commercialized. The JL are
> > > called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are
> > > immediately obvious. The other two are an invisible guy
>
> I was thinking Martian Manhunter. He can turn invisible.

Yeah, but he can do almost anything. He's like the most powerful being on
Earth. This guy they treat as lame.

Oh, and we never saw Lamplighter, but I'm assuming "Green Lantern"

> and a new replacement
> > > cute naive blonde girl with light powers, neither of whom have strong JL
> > > counterparts.
>
> Maybe the Stargirl
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtney_Whitmore

Yes, I'm pretty sure Stargirl is what they were going for.

Although as it progresses it turns out she has more powers than we thought.
Ack, I forgot about Dazzler

> > > There are superheroes all over the place, apparently occurring naturally.
> > > The
> > > corporation signs up the ones it deems most marketable. The corporate
> > > handlers are amazingly incompetent, just tossing the newbies into
> > > situations
> > > where they're expected to say or do a specific thing, without bothering to
> > > tell them what that specific thing *is*
> > >
> > > None of those are 'The Boys' (I only found out who is considered 'The Boys'
> > > via outside reading).
>
> I had a similar issue with figuring out who was who. I went in with the
> impression that "The Boys" were far better organized and financed. I
> wonder if the series consistent with the comics or not.

No clew. As I mentioned, I never even *heard* of the comic. I'll have to see
if it's on the Gray ...
cool. SLAM EVOL!

EB

Jul 31, 2019, 10:34:16 AM7/31/19

> Not sure why the Sparkles girl is so big on staying with this group of
> degenerate heroes that she's willing to be mouth-raped and be forced to
> show off her tits on command, etc. Is it the money? 'Cause it doesn't
> seem like you have to be a corporate employee to do super-heroing in
> this world. There's no Sekovia Accord-type law that restricts heroing to
> corporate oversight. They even talk about how Sparkles was doing
> independent heroing back in Des Moines before they called her up to the
> big leagues. She tells people that she hates the job, so why keep doing
> it?

It's pretty well explained in the comics. She had been a superhero all her life. It's been her life dream to join The Seven since she was a little girl.

Imagine being a baseball player as a kid, it's what you wanted to do all your life. you work your way up through the leagues, AAA and finally you get asked to play in the Yankees and you get to work along side the greatest players in the world. You might do "Questionable things" to achieve your goals.

EB

BTR1701

Jul 31, 2019, 10:44:33 AM7/31/19
In article <ff171c5d-edb2-4ff1...@googlegroups.com>,
But if you're at the point where you're admitting to yourself and others
that the job isn't anything that you thought it was and you pretty much
hate it, other than money, why stay?

Arthur Lipscomb

Jul 31, 2019, 11:00:44 AM7/31/19
I still don't know exactly what her powers actually are! Does she have
super strength or not? Does she have invulnerability? Does she have
enhanced reflexes? Or is she just really well trained. Up until the
point we saw A-Train pulling an actually train there was no reason to
think he had any ability other than speed. The heroes powers seem to
appear and disappear as needed.

>> If we look at Marvel, there's Jubilee
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(comics)
>> Or Dazzler
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler_(Marvel_Comics)
>
> Ack, I forgot about Dazzler

>> I had a similar issue with figuring out who was who. I went in with the
>> impression that "The Boys" were far better organized and financed. I
>> wonder if the series consistent with the comics or not.
>
> No clew. As I mentioned, I never even *heard* of the comic. I'll have to see
> if it's on the Gray ...

I just read your comic recap. That was very helpful.

anim8rfsk

Jul 31, 2019, 12:19:57 PM7/31/19
If her horrible mother had stayed home in Iowa, it would have helped.

anim8rfsk

Jul 31, 2019, 12:40:32 PM7/31/19
Wed, 31 Jul 2019 08:00:38 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
It's not well explained in either. In the comics, apparently Compound V gives
everybody some baseline strength and invulnerability. And the sky is full of
fliers, of which Starlight is one.

As far as I can tell, in the comics they all have strength, invulnerability,
a lot of them can fly, and most if not all pick up some special power as
well. The BOYS, who take a lower dose, just get tough enough to fight them.
Butcher can crush a gun in his bare hands.

In the TV show Starlight has strength, invulnerability, and whatever her
light powers do. I've seen no evidence she can fly (in fact, I've seen no
evidence anybody but Homelander can fly. I assume he's giving Queen Maeve
rides; she can fly in the comics)

Here's a Wiki with a *lot* of information on the supes in the comics. Most of
this likely won't be applicable to the TV show:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Boys_characters#The_Homelander
.

> > > If we look at Marvel, there's Jubilee
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jubilee_(comics)
> > > Or Dazzler
> > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dazzler_(Marvel_Comics)
> >
> > Ack, I forgot about Dazzler

> > > I had a similar issue with figuring out who was who. I went in with the
> > > impression that "The Boys" were far better organized and financed. I
> > > wonder if the series consistent with the comics or not.
> >
> > No clew. As I mentioned, I never even *heard* of the comic. I'll have to see
> > if it's on the Gray ...
>
> I just read your comic recap. That was very helpful.

Cool beans. :) Thanks for reposting the original question - yes, in the
comics The BOYS are far better organized and financed. They have surveillance
vans full of monitors and stuff.

EGK

Aug 2, 2019, 9:32:48 AM8/2/19
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:

>Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could I find
>it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad for it, and
>got in that way.
>
>All 8 eps seemed available yesterday. I watched the first two. I found no way
>to not have it skip over the end and start the next ep prematurely.
>
>The Boys is based on a 13 year old comic book series I'd never heard of. It's
>a very very very VERY thinly disguised JUSTICE LEAGUE riff in a world where
>superheroes are corporatized and privatized and commercialized. The JL are
>called The Seven. Superman, Batman, Da Flash, Wonder Woman and Aquaman are
>immediately obvious. The other two are an invisible guy and a new replacement
>cute naive blonde girl with light powers, neither of whom have strong JL
>counterparts.

>SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
>
>Excelsior!

I just started this the other day and love it so far. I'm half way through
the 8 episodes. The Boys is similar to Netflix's The Umbrella Academy in
how it subverts mainstream superheros in comics and other media.

Avengers Endgame is out on Amazon web-dl and bluray and I'd rather watch
this.

anim8rfsk

Aug 2, 2019, 9:36:37 AM8/2/19
heh

Ian J. Ball

Aug 2, 2019, 12:32:15 PM8/2/19
On 2019-08-02 13:32:43 +0000, EGK said:

> On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could
>> I find it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad
>> for it, and got in that way.
>>
>> SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
>>
>> Excelsior!
>
> I just started this the other day and love it so far. I'm half way through
> the 8 episodes. The Boys is similar to Netflix's The Umbrella Academy in
> how it subverts mainstream superheros in comics and other media.

Yeah, but the difference is, it sounds like "The Boys" is done right,
and I'm actually interested in watching it.

> Avengers Endgame is out on Amazon web-dl and bluray and I'd rather watch
> this.

I'm not sure how I'm going to see "Endgame" - I may pop for it on
iTunes rather than wait for it to be the next (last?) MCU film to show
up on Netflix...

EGK

Aug 2, 2019, 12:47:18 PM8/2/19
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 09:32:11 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>On 2019-08-02 13:32:43 +0000, EGK said:
>
>> On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 13:58:43 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Despite Da Amazon saying it was on my watch list, it wasn't. Nor could
>>> I find it. I stumbled around blindly for a while until I hit another ad
>>> for it, and got in that way.
>>>
>>> SuperFred-Bob sez "check it out!"
>>>
>>> Excelsior!
>>
>> I just started this the other day and love it so far. I'm half way through
>> the 8 episodes. The Boys is similar to Netflix's The Umbrella Academy in
>> how it subverts mainstream superheros in comics and other media.
>
>Yeah, but the difference is, it sounds like "The Boys" is done right,
>and I'm actually interested in watching it.

I watched Umbrella Academy before starting The Boys. I liked that too but
it's more predictable. It's more like The X-men if Charles Xavier was a
mean prick of a father figure. The Boys takes the subversion of comic
books up a few notches.

>> Avengers Endgame is out on Amazon web-dl and bluray and I'd rather watch
>> this.
>
>I'm not sure how I'm going to see "Endgame" - I may pop for it on
>iTunes rather than wait for it to be the next (last?) MCU film to show
>up on Netflix...

I already saw Endgame. I just wasn't that interested in seeing it on home
video again. I was already getting bored with mainstream superhero movies.
The shows above are a good antidote to the cookie cutter nature of those.

I actually thought Spiderman, Into the Spider Verse had the best story I've
seen in a while in a mainstream comic book movie. I'm not usually into
animated movies but that was good.

BTR1701

Aug 2, 2019, 2:04:26 PM8/2/19
EGK <memy...@null.net> wrote:

> I actually thought Spiderman, Into the Spider Verse had the best story I've
> seen in a while in a mainstream comic book movie. I'm not usually into
> animated movies but that was good.

I liked the story, but I hated whatever that new 'groundbreaking animation
style' it was that they used.

anim8rfsk

Aug 2, 2019, 2:17:21 PM8/2/19
Yes

EGK

Aug 2, 2019, 2:25:15 PM8/2/19
On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 13:04:19 -0500, BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:
I wasn't crazy about it but thought it was a nice progression of comic book
art. I prefer to watch the animation in The Incredibles.

Jim G.

Aug 2, 2019, 2:40:31 PM8/2/19
BTR1701 sent the following on 7/30/19 at 12:24 AM:
They do that. But I thought that they only did it to me since they hate me.

"I'm really glad we're at this place in our relationship where we can
dig up graves together without having to talk." -- Major Lillywhite, iZOMBIE

Arthur Lipscomb

Aug 2, 2019, 11:36:09 PM8/2/19
On 8/2/2019 11:25 AM, EGK wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 13:04:19 -0500, BTR1701 <no_e...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> EGK <memy...@null.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I actually thought Spiderman, Into the Spider Verse had the best story I've
>>> seen in a while in a mainstream comic book movie. I'm not usually into
>>> animated movies but that was good.

I just don't get what everyone sees in it. Nevertheless, I broke down
and got it on disc. I'll revisit it one day and maybe I'll like it more.

>> I liked the story, but I hated whatever that new 'groundbreaking animation
>> style' it was that they used.

That animation style was killing me. I *hated* it!

> I wasn't crazy about it but thought it was a nice progression of comic book
> art. I prefer to watch the animation in The Incredibles.

For a second I thought you said you preferred the animation style of
Spiderverse over The Incredibles.

BTR1701

Aug 2, 2019, 11:42:31 PM8/2/19
In article <qi202s$tef$2...@dont-email.me>,
"Jim G." <jimg...@geemail.com.invalid> wrote:

> BTR1701 sent the following on 7/30/19 at 12:24 AM:
> > In article <atropos-FD24DC...@news.giganews.com>,
> > BTR1701 <atr...@mac.com> wrote:

> >> No, it's not that one. The character is 'Older Donor' and appears
> >> during the baptism scene. The actor's name is John Williams but
> >> it's the film composer.
> >
> > That should have been: The actor's name is John Williams but it's NOT
> > the film composer.
> >
> > Jim's editor has snuck into my house and is deleting key words from my
> > otherwise perfect prose.
>
> They do that. But I thought that they only did it to me since they
> hate me.

Well, you do keep firing them.

EGK

Aug 2, 2019, 11:44:22 PM8/2/19
No. I liked the story in Spider Verse. I thought that was much more like
the comic books than most of what they've done in the movies. I wasn't
crazy about the animation either but the story propelled the movie for me.

anim8rfsk

Aug 3, 2019, 12:16:23 AM8/3/19
Fri, 02 Aug 2019 20:36:03 -0700 Arthur Lipscomb<art...@alum.calberkeley.org>
wrote:

> On 8/2/2019 11:25 AM, EGK wrote:
> > On Fri, 02 Aug 2019 13:04:19 -0500, BTR1701<no_e...@invalid.invalid>
> > wrote:

> I just don't get what everyone sees in it. Nevertheless, I broke down
> and got it on disc. I'll revisit it one day and maybe I'll like it more.
>
> > > I liked the story, but I hated whatever that new 'groundbreaking animation
> > > style' it was that they used.
>
> That animation style was killing me. I *hated* it!

I loved Spider-Verse more than any animated film since, well, probably The
Incredibles.

> > I wasn't crazy about it but thought it was a nice progression of comic book
> > art. I prefer to watch the animation in The Incredibles.
>
> For a second I thought you said you preferred the animation style of
> Spiderverse over The Incredibles.

David Johnston

Aug 3, 2019, 12:46:01 AM8/3/19
It's called "not having enough money to go over 30 FPS".

Dimensional Traveler

Aug 3, 2019, 1:17:13 PM8/3/19
Like the Japanese cartoons from the 70's?

instinct are running screaming.

anim8rfsk

Aug 3, 2019, 1:48:32 PM8/3/19
Sat, 03 Aug 2019 10:17:14 -0700 Dimensional Traveler<dtr...@sonic.net>
wrote:

> On 8/2/2019 9:45 PM, David Johnston wrote:

> > > I liked the story, but I hated whatever that new 'groundbreaking
> > > animation
> > > style' it was that they used.
> >
> > It's called "not having enough money to go over 30 FPS".
>
> Like the Japanese cartoons from the 70's?

No

EGK

Aug 5, 2019, 10:39:45 AM8/5/19
On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 18:00:37 -0700, Ian J. Ball <IJB...@mac.invalid> wrote:

>I might consider this, whenever I finally get Prime, but it's a lower
>priority...

It's worth it though the it ends on a huge cliffhanger. I thought it was
way better than the Netflix, Marvel superhero series which all suffered from
having 6 episodes worth of story stretched out to 13.

The Boys leaves you wanting more.

Jim G.

Aug 6, 2019, 3:18:37 PM8/6/19
BTR1701 sent the following on 8/2/19 at 10:42 PM:
But I no longer lash out and kill them in frustration and bury them
behind the potting shed. And so what if I changed tack because I started
to run out of shoveling space? You'd still think that they'd show a
little more appreciation.